the Rift

[OPEN] Här kommer kungen av ingenting alls

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan
LACE
Turn the page I need to see something new

It was all so familiar he could cry. The paths worn by countless hooves in the snow, the tinge of salt in the cold breeze, the glitter of the setting, every looming evergreen tree casting its shadow upon his back. He breathed deeply in the scent of bark and snow, shadow and starlight and power that once had been so familiar as to cling to his own skin, and that now kindled the spark of nostalgia into a roaring flame in his chest.

Lace hesitated there on the border, bittersweet longing and hesitation constricting like a lump of unshed tears in the throat. He wanted to inch closer to Nyx, cling to her side like a foal for comfort and strength and the courage to continue further inwards as had once been his right. Instead he forced himself to stand on his own, relying on nobody but the pale dragon that had disappeared somewhere among the canopy, thrilled beyond words to find herself home again. She had little time for his unspoken worries, but allowed him this single point of contact - like a child clutching his mothers skirts but walking on his own, safer in the knowledge that she was at least there - and Lace accepted it with what little dignity he had left.

He looked brave where he stood, teetering just at the forest edge. He kept his head high, the ears pricked, tail aloft and overall looked both casual and composed, but that was just because he had learned the art of keeping up appearances. On the insides he was a sobbing mess, now laughing in delight at the sight and scent and sound of the only place he had ever felt home in, now sobbing helplessly at the memory of times he could never return to. Like the memory of a dream figures stirred in the deep shadows it seemed to him, familiar figures prancing proudly along off to some place where he was not allowed. Friends he used to know, faces he once used to call family.

And every tree, every snow-covered rock and log, every star alighting on the darkening horizon screamed of her absence. The mirage, the shadow dragon, the golden queen and her moon-blessed Heart. How would he ever learn to live under these boughs without her?

The grullo drew a deep breath, surprised to find that it was quite steady, and glanced at the valkyrie that had led him back to this place.

"I really hope you're right" he mumbled to Nyx, betraying his doubts for the first time since they met up in the Threshold forest.  "Just remember, this was your idea, okay?"

He tried a smile - Lace knew all too well that he had been eager enough to accept her offer. If there was anyone to blame in case this whole thing went down the drain it would be himself.

@Nyx , @Mauja

coding by tamme | Image by patriota--studios @ DA
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

Only now she's nearing the Edge does she begin to worry about the consequences of bringing Lace with her.

Her invite had been impulsive, selfish - he is her friend, one of very few such friends, and she wants him here with her, dammit. But she is meant to be a warrior, who puts the herd first, who shoves personal happiness aside and concentrates on the greater good. Is bringing home a stallion who both kings hate really the best way to do that?

She supposes she had underestimated the stubborn-ness of men; she simply assumed they would all grunt a bit then shake hooves and make up. But, as she moves closer to the Edge, she begins to get cold feet (both literally and not, because the snow is rather chilling her fetlocks). What if they don't all get along? What if they come to blows, and it's all her fault for bringing Lace home? She can't even blame it on the cobwebbed male - not that she would - because it was most definitely her idea. She approached him first. She invited him, even when he warned her off.

But, as he's walking alongside her as he had all those years ago, towards a herd so familiar Nyx could patrol it with her eyes closed, she can't help but think it feels so right. This is Lace's home, like it is hers. He belongs here, and perhaps it's her imagination but does he seem to have perked up since they came into view of the main herdland? "Mind your step - there is broken glass all around. The wall met a, uh, sticky end." Dominus hisses from behind her, the memory of glass in his paw still livid inside his mind. He picks his feet up carefully, staring at the ground hard to hunt for shards.

At Lace's words, the ironheart chuckles. "Guilty as charged." But the laughter is forced, because she is bricking it. Mauja is going to flip his spotty little ass off. She imagines him actually getting so pissed off that his spots run for the hills, leaving him white and naked and shiny.

There's no going back now, however. She fights the desire to press closely against her cobwebbed compatriot, focusing instead on the horizon, waiting for the ice king to broach it and condemn them with his frozen wrath.

[ SHE'S ELECTRIC ]

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
Who are you—

Who are you to step into my forest—

Who are you to bring him here—

Can't you see he's gray as a wolf?

There was no sunlight to strike the white scales alight; it had sunk to its watery grave, leaving the sky to darken. One by one the stars blinked into existence, strewn and scattered across the heaven—but they didn't need a fucking sun to see her. She was a ghost, a wraith, lithe and beautiful and a fucking dragon. She spun through the air above his forest, an intruder in every sense.

Stalked, by a frigid owl, her eyes blazing disapproval. Dragons meant no good. Dragons breathed fire. Dragons caused pain—Irma had an excellent memory. It was fortunate she hadn't quite been hatched when Fajira had blasted Mauja's back.

But most of all, the dragon was someone unknown.

And Mauja was flowing through the forest, breath punching out of his lungs, sweat steaming off his warm hide—it was blind, a rush, a race against the clock and he couldn't even decide why

The wolf was a fool. The wolf was a foolish, foolish man blinded by his own naive views. The wolf was a bother.

But the wolf was no threat.

So why did he bother? Why did it make his heart beat furiously? Why did it kindle this mindless, gut-wrenching rage in his soul—

His breath was hot and cold, his eyes dark, and he just wanted to reach out and grasp his heart with an icy claw, squeeze it, test its mettle, constrict and shred and rip and rage—

It doesn't matter! he yelled in the face of his hopeless rage, squirming in the grasp of his own anger, thundering down pathways to the wolf and his iron guide. It doesn't matter it was all so long ago and he's no threat, no threat, no threat, he's just a fool—

Mirage wasn't there. The one worthy of his anger wasn't there. He knew that, so why couldn't he just stop—?

There was nothing for him to slay here.

The ice spike came before he did. With no warning it slammed into the air in front of them, thick and sturdy, easily reaching taller than both of them—and in the shadows Mauja gave a frustrated snarl, wrenching his heaving body to a skidding halt.

I'm supposed to be better than this—

No, fuck it, I hate idiots still—

I never said I was going to stop hating them—

But it would give him the upper hand—

He was drenched in winter sweat, limbs trembling with the force of his rage (adrenaline, adrenaline, adrenaline); lips pulled back and eyes blazing.

I can't—

Overload—

The glade around him lit up with fire as two swans of flame surged out of his chest, the discharge of his fury, streaking through the air before disappearing with a crackle. They left a trail of melted snow and soot-stains; Mauja had leaped back, the edges of his mane singed, and eyes wary.

Well, fuck. If they hadn't known where he was before, they certainly knew it now, and—belatedly—he realized that the last thing he wanted to do was to don his icy mask and play politics.

[ @Lace, @Nyx ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

LACE

"Yeah, I know. I visited a few years ago, so I've seen..." Lace interrupted himself, distracted by a thought from his dragon. Owls?

Before he had time to process the thought however events began to unfurl one after the other and he got no chance to finish what he had been saying.

Lace hadn't expected a warm welcome, but even so this felt slightly over the top. There was no telling how much time had passed between arriving and the first tentative step forward, because no breaths were counted, no heartbeats measured, no visible sign given save perhaps the slight brightening of the stars or the deepening of the shadows around his feet. All he knew was that no sooner had a slated hoof touched within the borders of the forest realm than ice exploded from the ground before him, and with a snort of mingled surprise and rage Lace half reared and leaped back, ears pressed flat against the neck.

Snow and glittering shards of ice hovered in the air as narrowed eyes began to search the dusk beneath the boughs for the conjurer, and had not yet fallen to the ground before the shadows were thrust aside by flaming, blazing projectiles that singed the air; Lace felt an urge to leap out of the way even though they were too far away to risk being burned either one of them. He felt ire rise like bile in the throat, poisoning the tongue with ill chosen words he just longed to shout into the night. But he kept quiet, focusing instead on the source of the flames.

And there he was, that white giant. Steaming and foaming and quite a bit older than the last time their paths had crossed - yet to Lace he appeared no different than the first time he'd seen him. It had been not too far from here, from across a battlefield that had yielded victory and defeat, gain and loss, love and hatred and wounds that went far too deep to ever fully heal.

He stared at Mauja, and as memories and emotions worked within him the trees and underbrush around them began to shift restlessly, twigs and branches rustling and stirring despite the windless evening. How tempting it was to reach out and bend them further to his will, engage trunk and root and thorny shrubs to retaliate against the earlier display, return the favor by snaring legs and horn and pale flesh until the King was forced to bend his knee again, like he had that time...

But a thought, singular and serene like a frozen droplet of water beneath morning sunlight fell into the raging sea of his mind, and Lace steadied himself with a slow, deep breath. Willing himself to calm down, he gave Mauja a dry, ironic smile and forced his own knee to bend into a bow. It was quick, quite sloppy and not at all honest, but it solidified at least to himself the current standings among the gathered. The crown rested upon the head of another now and he was a beggar pleading at the door for a breadcrumb. It didn't matter that the roles had been reversed once, or that they had met before as equals. Those times were long since past - different rules applied now.

"Ah, my liege" the Silverthorn offered once he had risen again, not so hidden barbs lining every word he said. "How very kind of you to greet every vagabond that comes across your border in person... What do I owe this doubtful pleasure?"

With a thought he lit up the forest with his own fire, a blazing orb that rivaled the sun itself in heat and brightness. High above them it hovered in midair, pulsating steadily like a beating heart. Not so much a threat as it was a warning Lace kept the miniature sun alive as he stared fixedly at Mauja - he wouldn't tolerate any more threats, nor would they make him back down. If he wanted a fight the unicorn would have to make the challenge himself and accept the consequences.

He made no attempts to be polite or diplomatic. What was the point, when they were way past the time for pleasant words and niceties already? Nyx would have to excuse him, Lace just couldn't act like nothing had ever transpired when just looking at that horse made him want to tear something to pieces. He would never be able to hide his loathing anyway, there was little point in trying.

Yes, he wanted to live in the forest, but not if it came at the cost of self respect and sanity. He had his uses and enough of both experience and skill to earn him a place in any herd even without bowing and scraping - especially this one, when he still knew the land and its secrets like the back of his own hand. If the king was too blinded by personal feelings to see that then he was not fit to rule... and one day Lace might have to do something about it.

@Nyx
The Store | The Warden

nyx right now
(oh I wish we were allowed to embed gifs xD)

There he is.

Preceeded by a vicious spire of ice that erupts from the ground in front of them, the king is come. The mare's ears pin and she throws up her proud head with a snort, rooting her hooves to the snow so she isn't tempted to flinch backwards and shame herself anymore than she already has by bringing Lace here. Then come two mighty swans of flame, and Dominus rears onto his back legs, trying to paw at one before they disappear with a fizzle. She has never seen her stone-faced monarch so animated, so alive; ice is burnt away by righteous fire, by sweat-soaked, indignant masculinity.

Lace retaliates in kind - first he bows, and Nyx sags with relief at the humility. Maybe it will turn out alright af-...or maybe not. A sun bursts into life above them, pulsing and humming with power, and the soldier gives a startled grunt. Her ears are so far back they're invisible, and tension etches itself across every hard muscle of her body. Typical men, having the magical equivalent of a dick-swinging contest.

Damn, she can almost smell the testosterone. And she's only slightly turned on.

"Lace," she hisses, eyes widening in horror at the cobweb-stallion's brash sarcasm. He most certainly hadn't exaggerated when he warned her he might cause trouble should she persist with trying to bring him home to the Edge. Bloody men. Couldn't they just be faux-nice to one another then have a good old bitch later, like women would? The temptation to bang their heads together like naughty boys is considerably strong within the ironheart.

What can she say? What can she do? She should just remain silent, let the stallions do stallion things to sort out their differences. Or should she apologise for bringing Lace here? No, because he's her friend and he deserves to live here if he wants to, but he's not doing himself any favours with his passive-aggressive, sun-summoning, look-at-the-size-of-my-dong behaviour, like he's trying to make Mauja snap and attack him to vindicate his earlier accusations. The silver rolls her eyes irritably.

She looks to Mauja, words bubbling to the tip of her tongue...but she bites them back. On this occasion, silence speaks a thousand words. This is something the two men have to sort out between themselves, without Nyx's interference. So she shuts her mouth, fixing it into a hard line, and just watches.

[ SHE'S ELECTRIC ]

@Mauja

Ascended Helovian

så du står i givakt med din rygg rak
och tar 400 slag

Fuck this shit

Couldn't they just go away? Ignore the flaming birds that had lit up the darkness and crowded the lingering snow, and thus ignore the white beast revealed in their wake? He hadn't even aimed it at them, they had just—well, been in the way. The anger had crept out the cracks in his armor, blazed a highway of light straight into his wounded soul, and led them to his door. His ears fell back against his neck, his entire, silent face screaming fuck off.

Just go away.

Just leave me alone.

Just forget about this.

Fire was demanding. It scorched the inside of his soul, of his mind, left him tired and ragged in the aftermath of its harsh anger—it burnt him up, left him spent.

If his anger had been its fuel there was none of that left now.

As Lace bent his knee the blazing light in Mauja's eyes went out, replaced by something surly and dull, and the hunger that had lurked just behind his teeth replaced by the taste of bile. Fuck off, he wanted to snarl at the fool bowing to him, but no words left his tired mouth.

He didn't even flinch at the fire-orb.

Was this the beginning of the end? Of Mirage's hounds trickling back in?

Was he obliged to accept them? Did he owe them anything? Why shouldn't he just kick everyone out and be the lonesome Mad King of the Edge? If any army came, he would hound them and haunt them and pester them and somehow prevail, alone in his fortress realm of fog and forest and glass and ice.

He would burn them and he would impale them and leave their corpses rotting on his spikes as a warning to others.

"Fuck you," he muttered under his breath, too quiet for them to hear. "Fuck all of you."

No matter how strong his heart, no matter how great his will, no matter how lethal his weapons—Helovia would find him, chain him, and defeat him. Eventually, he would have to sleep. Unguarded. Alone.

An uncharacteristic snarl tore itself out of his mouth as he stalked across the distance separating them, something edgy and feral replacing the usual grace of his movements. He wished he had some way to skate around the sun orb, to not stand so close to the fucking thing, but Lace had put it where he wanted and EVERYTHING BE FUCKING DAMNED BEFORE HE GAVE THAT FOOL SOME SATISFACTION.

So he stood in its glare, sweat darkening his hide, and stared down at the smaller stallion with cold ire in his gaze.

"Get the fucking stick out of your ass," he growled, voice rough like gravel.

You'll wear me out if I have to go around hating you.

[ @Lace ]

LACE

The smile died a quick death on his lips, killed by the growing chill in the eyes of the Silvery one. All inclinations he'd had to try and play around with his own anger vanished in a heartbeat as the unicorn spoke, traces of humor replaced instead by a steely, iron-hearted resolve.

"Watch your mouth" he snapped, lips stiff and disapproving. "I don't want to hear that from you, Mauja. Of all people... aren't you the one who needs to get over yourself the most around here?"

He stood unflinching as the King drew closer, watching the pale horse with critical, judgmental eyes. Somewhere among the treetops the dragon gave off an irritated shriek as she tried to give the owl the slip. She was itching to lash at it with her tail, give chase to the ghostly bird and give her a taste of her own medicine, but together they agreed it would be foolish to the point of madness. Oh, the flying feather-duster would be no match for teeth and claws and deadly fire, but the consequences....

"I have returned to my home since Nyx asked me to come back, and I intend to stay here - whether you like it or not. Step aside."

Lace had no intention of asking anymore. He'd played with the thought of bending his neck and suffer the humiliation, but no more. Bowing once was one time too many, it would not happen again. On his chest the spirit of the DragonHeart jingled softly as the equine stepped forward, the jerking head challenging the adversary to stop him.

Please, oh please try, give me a reason to pummel that quivering ass, so fat upon a throne that should be mine. Who do you think you are, to stand in my way? Only a heart encased in ice, ready to be pierced, shattered by the silver thorns of my wrath.

Come on, just give me an excuse already.

All around him the forest stood still and silent, as though each tree held its breath. The artificial sun blazed over his head, hot enough to singe the hairs on the god-touched back. He found strength in its radiant glow, like a stern but encouraging hand burning away all hesitation. Snow obscured the view of the ground and in an almost absentminded way Lace took note of the larger obstacles in the vicinity - a fallen log five steps to the right, the cluster of trees eight paces and a bit to the left, the cluster of trees up ahead, the memory of Nyx's warmth radiating against his flank, gone now as he left her behind.

Would she aid him if it came to blows, or would she protect her own position?

He had asked whether she was prepared for the consequences, and for the first time Lace asked himself the same question. Was he ready for what may come, as he pushed the situation to breaking point? If it came to blows, if he lost, if he won...

But, well. Somehow or another he would handle it. After all it wouldn't be the first time for anything, either as king or vagabond.

Your move, Mauja, what shall it be?

@Nyx
The Store | The Warden

She has never seen her ice king so tight, so tense; the snarl that comes from him is a bestial sound that she would never have associated with him. And it's her fault. Her own selfishness in bringing Lace here has driven her cold, calm monarch to this, and guilt stabs through her worse than one of Mauja's ice spikes.

Lace replies, and Nyx's eyes roll so hard they nearly fall out of her damn head. You get the stick out of your ass! No, YOU get the stick out of your ass! The silver snorts, exasperated - but exasperation is just the tip of the iceberg, the outer layer of what she's feeling. Yes, their masculine stand-off has a certain humour to it, like two peacocks fluffing up their feathers and strutting with inflated tails and egos alike, but this runs deeper than that - this goes beyond what Nyx would call amusing. It is serious business; they could fight, she could be kicked from the herd, she could be condemned for her crimes and kicked away like a common dog. This is not a laughing matter.

She fidgets from hoof to hoof, nervous, antsy, tense. Lace continues, and he's hardly demure about his desire to live here. "What he means to say is that he would love to stay here, pretty please and thank you," she says, trying to sound lighthearted and diffuse the situation in spite of her pounding heart and dry mouth. But the words sound forced on her tongue, and her expression darkens into a frown. Stop trying so hard, she tells herself. She could dance around naked in front of the duo and she doesn't think that would distract them from their brooding rage towards one another.

And, like a coward, she stays silent. She sits on the fence, unwilling to side with either stallion, to argue the point of one of them. Yes, it isn't her place, but she should still say something, should tell Mauja to stop staring ice-spikes at Lace or tell Lace to stop pushing his luck and submit for fuck's sake. But she doesn't. The steel soldier is cowed, with her neck arched and tense and her nostrils flared wide, dancing from foot to foot with potent tension. What do I do?

[ SHE'S ELECTRIC ]

@Mauja

Ascended Helovian

"Watch your mouth," the wolf snaps.

'Watch your mouth,' the winter king thinks, 'lest your blood come dribbling out between your lips from the ruin of your lungs.'

His soul folded in on itself, and drifted out sideways like a confused cat with its back arched; torn between despair and fury the one thought going through his head was, is he for real?

He came here—he came here, to this place of grief and glory, and spat on Mauja's peace offering. He came here, and he demanded. Chided.

Once, Mauja had been the height of arrogant: damning others simply by virtue of their blood.

But no more.

Mauja was still mortal; had always been. Mauja had always been proud (too proud)—confident, sure of himself, and of his skill. But his mortality had always pounded out its pulse in the back of his mind, and as best as he could, he had chosen his battles. Sometimes, he had gambled and waged them with words. Sometimes, he had taken it to blows, but not as often as one might think.

His entrance today had been a disgrace to who he sought to be—the antonym to who he had been. Forgiving. Open-minded. Fuck, he had danced to Helovia's tune of peace and stagnancy, he had abandoned his pride and his sense of self-worth, he had been ready to let the world trample him because it is his duty as King to be there for his people; his people were not to be there for him. He was their guide, not their ruler. Then who was he, to come here and spit damnation upon someone, when he knew how much he himself had changed?

But that was the thing—he had never known Lace. He didn't know if he had changed, but the rank arrogance of his remarks rhymed ill with change when his mind conjured a conversation between Paladin, on the edge of his death, and Lace's crass, humorless insult.

Slowly, the embers of his rage reignited.

Who was he, to come here, and say that Mauja needed to get over himself?
Who was he, to come here, and act so high and mighty?
Who was he, to come here, and demand to be let back into his old home?

Mauja could see himself, battered and bruised and tornburnt—coming here, to the realm of the Qian and demanding to be let back in.

Laughable. They would've thrown him over the Edge in pieces, torn apart by the hungry dragonfangs, and that would've been the end of the Frostheart.

Fuck. Off.

He had tried. He had tried so fucking hard, and what had he gotten?

Nearly put on trial for an accident that had haunted him.
His love and close friend laid down as a carcass by a God supposed to protect them.
Torleik.

How dare he, something in Mauja's soul whispered, an echo bounding between three souls. How dare he, the rage whispered.

"What he means to say is that he would love to stay here, pretty please and thank you."

No.

Liar liar.

He meant what he said. She should learn to mean what she said, too—Nyx's friend or no.. it was too late.

It had always been too late for them.

Calm descended upon him as he stood there nose-to-nose with Lace—calm claimed him, spreading with both fire and ice through his veins as his heart pounded out a war beat. This ended now. Here and now, in the snow melting from the sun radiating above them, with Nyx as their witness.

This was what he knew how to do. This was familiar, the promise of violence whispering in his blood like an old friend.

Irma fell back, a ghost sailing on quiet feathers, but Diego swept in above the dragon's back—burning eyes trained on her, trying to read her every motion before she even made it.

To always keep out the reach of her flame, her teeth, her body.

Mauja was tired of rationality. He was tired of cold intellect. He was tired of quelling his rage, swallowing shards of ice and tongues of flame and growing colder and colder and colder.

He was baited, but he wasn't going to just nibble. He was going to bite and swallow, fucking hook and all, until he'd made his way to the end of the line.

Then, he would swallow Lace too, and the world would be a better place.

Fuck. Off. He thought it for the thirteenth time that day, and then, the cool calm of his preparation shattered in violence.

His rage was their rage.
Their rage was his rage.

And they would kill silently.

There were no howls of rage—no words of challenge, a last plea for humility from the noble fool poised before him, nothing.

It would just be death and the silence of winter.

It took less than a heartbeat, his crowned head dipping down—he dove for Lace's neck, hoping to split his skin and embed his horn beneath the equine's left shoulder blade.

Hoping to take him by enough of a surprise to drive its point all the way to his fucking heart and pierce it.

Today would not know mercy.

Ice erupted from the ground again, this time directly beneath Lace, three spires of hate and vengeance taller than both of them shooting for the sky—and in the sky itself, his youngest owl descended into his first real battle. Sharp talons extended into the air, seeking the wing joints of the dragon, his curved beak hunting for the base of her head.

Irma glided on silently, watchful. Thoughtful.

Waiting for her moment to strike.

[ @Lace, @Nyx || Continues here. ]

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

T
O
R
L
E
I
K

Peaceful. For the first time in a very long time, it was peaceful. It was no wonder that tranquility was not meant to last. A vague sense of magical tension filled his bones and anxiety began to mount, wondering, seeking, trying to find this source of pressure that encroached upon his being. It didn't take long, as fire erupted from east of him and Torleik's ears went flack back. 

Shit. 

Were they being attacked?

Summoning the armor the Moon Goddess had gifted him, the Bloodskald tore his way through his home, his kingdom, towards this explosive fire despite every fiber in his being telling him such magic was not something to run towards. And then there was the giant burning ball in the sky, like a second sun, and the general-turned-king skidded to a halt. 

Fuck.

They hadn't any manner to summon the warriors, man any defenses - their herd was still too small, a fledgling little thing just unfurling its wings. Gods help him he hoped Mauja was within their borders. Polkadot was a right bitch sometimes but Torleik would never say the Queen couldn't fight. Digging his solid hooves into the barely thawing ground and resuming his frantic, heart-crashing pace, the King of the World's Edge found himself swiftly upon a scene that was almost too much for him to accept. Not because Mauja was there. Not because an immense amount of magic was being used. 

But because the son of a bitch who'd spewed acidic vitriol at him and his newborn companion for simply existing near the formerly breathtaking glass wall was here. 

At their borders. 

Stating he would live here whether Mauja liked it or not. 

Looking back, Torleik could rank moments in his life where he truly desired to murder another and leave their bloated carcass displayed, on which the crows might feast for days. Mauja occupied one of those moments, for hurting Ophelia as he had when the Bloodskald had found her forlorn and languishing by the hot springs in the Basin. This moment? This moment surpassed that with the intensity of that fireball in the sky it looked as though Lace was summoning. The hate burning in the air screamed for a sacrifice. This small war was on the brink of culmination. Time seemed to stand still, and the warrior in him consumed his mind, slipping into every crack of his stubborn-but-kind, aloof-but-well-meaning form, oozing out over the softer form inside and hardening him for what was to come. That part inside? It liked the violence; it cherished the pain, the kill. 

It wanted Lace's blood. 

Pride rankled at the idea that Mauja would be first to draw it, but there was naught the Bloodskald could do about it now. Burning blue flames cast their gaze around, seeing the land, seeing the obstacles, seeing Lace, Mauja - Nyx. Had she brought him here? Had she chanced upon this after the display of fire and sun? The look on her face of tightly controlled fear, prancing...it told him this was her doing. She understood this situation, had been part of its orchestration. There was guilt in that anxious dance. But thoughts on Nyx and her (possible) stupidity were inconsequential. 

The dam broke and what rushed forth was Mauja's violence - what Torleik interpreted as a stab for Lace's heart, and a vicious eruption of deadly ice beneath the former World's Edge leader. It was all too fast, but moved so very slow, and the Bloodskald knew if Mauja's attacks did not hit, they were in for a battle. He would pace, like a caged and starved beast in the back, waiting for his moment to strike. He was consumed with battle lust, willing the white spotted beast to reign destruction on their hated enemy.

And if the Frostheart didn't finish the job, Torleik would be ready to gore Lace's heart and crush it beneath his hooves on the still-frozen ground. 

Hey I'm talking here 

OOC: Throwing Torleik in so he can observe.
Table by Jen

@Nyx
@Mauja
@Lace
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!