the Rift

[PRIVATE] nom de bloom

Badger Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Gelding :: Equine :: 15'2hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow
@Cheveyo !

This is my first time writing in 1st person in about 7 years lmfao but I wanted to try something different with him so please excuse the awfulness >.> Badger is about to eat some leaves from a fallen yew branch, which is a+ poisonous, SOMEBODY STAHP HIM

It's cold, and the endless winter bites at my bones as I trudge through the snow, desperately foraging for something to eat. My stomach gurgles relentlessly,  and my copious fat stores have already dwindled away. I am hardly lean - even I will admit that - but I am not as delightfully round as I like to be. And I'm hungry all the time. I am not cut out to be a wild horse, and in winter I have next to no chance. Although I have a herd now and can rely on their resources, it is still not enough to feet my voracious appetite.

With grass buried beneath the snow, which hurts my nose when I try to ferret beneath it, I have had to turn my attentions to food above ground. The only problem is that I have never been taught what is poisonous and what isn't. I know the humans pulled up certain plants from my field, but I had never actually seen them to know what they are. Ironically, I have a passing knowledge of healing herbs, and could probably stop somebody from bleeding to death in a pinch, but I don't know anything about edible herbs. Which is tremendously helpful.

I shuffle towards the Thistle Meadow - which, if it does what it says on the tin, should be full of yummy greenery for me to chew on. My tail swings to bat away the flies, the first sign that spring is on its way...just not close enough for me not to starve to death in the meantime. I burrow around, snuffling and sniffing and chomping whatever greenery I can find, a greedy glint in my eye as I enter a feeding frenzy. I need to fill my stomach with everything I can, just in case I can't find another source of food before spring.

A fallen branch laden with green needles catches my eye. It sits innocently on top of a patch of snow, and I don't recognise the tree it has fallen from. Well, no tree is poisonous, right? Trees are the friendly, cuddly sentinels of the forest - it's the pricky shrubs and dangerous undergrowth and pretty-but-deadly flowers you have to watch out for. Trees are safe, so with a happy gurgle I lean my jowls down, lips hungrily peeled and ready to munch down some of those fabulous-looking needles...

B A D G E R

Cheveyo Posts: 159
Hidden Account atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 8 :: Tallsun HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Semper
CHEVEYO

I was slowly beginning to yearn for the close community of a herd again, my visits with Aaron leaving me lonely whenever he wasn't around. Today was one of those days, his duties kept him and Alana busy while I wandered aimlessly through the thick snow covering the lands of Helovia. Soon the wonders of Birdsong would arrive and again things would be simple and easy, everything would be flowered and beautiful, rather than standing in the middle of a snow drift my white washed limbs would be tickled by the soft petals and contagious pollen of the purple flowers that thrived in this meadow. Sun kissed harks flicked back into pale dreads as a stray snow flake landed between red painted nostrils, the bare branches that hung heavy with snow were beginning to shake and tremble, letting their burdens free to the ground as the air grew warmer and the world rotated once again closer to the sun.

A gentle smile tugged at the corners of rosy kissers before white washed limbs struck out once more. I trudged carefully through the snow, further into the meadow where I would remain for the day, daydreaming of warmer days and the flowers that would soon fill the air with their wonderful perfume. The day dreams didn't last very long at all, before the shadow stained creature broke through the pristine scene. The darkness of his coat soaking up the brightness of the world around him, oblivious to the fact that he wasn't alone in the meadow as his skunk striped face burrowed into the snow to devour what young shoots of grass were starting to spring up.  Orchid pools rested curiously on his frame, rounder than the rest of us, rounder even than most of us would be in the middle of spring when the eating was plenty. Brown straps of leather circled his face in a fashion that I had been familiar to at one point, of course the one being used on me had been much cruder than the brass fastened on that rested on his features. 

I snorted, sending a cloud of steam into the cool air, just as the dark male began to move once again. This time it seemed his target was a stray branch resting on a snow drift not far from where I was standing. Ears swiveled forwards as I watched him move in on the deadly branch a knot twisting and forming in my gut, hoping that the creature knew what he was doing. The gods quickly answered my question when his yellowed, worn teeth parted and his soft neck reached outwards. "NO! Stop!" Vocals leapt into action along with the rest of my body as I turned sharply to sprint at the pudgy black and white animal, hoping to knock him off of his feet and away from the plant that would leave him gasping for breath and praying for death later on. 

"Speech."
Tag | @Badger
Words | 492
Notes | Sorry it took me so long! I hope you don't mind her trying to knock him on his ass <3
cantatus-promise

pixel bt Pash, it's also a clicky to my table/tracker

please tag Cheveyo!!

Badger Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Gelding :: Equine :: 15'2hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow
haha it's fine! <3 sorry for replying so fast but ahh all the Badger muse

No, stop!

Sounds like somebody else wants my tasty morsel, and there's no way in hell I'm giving it up. I am not a confrontational man, but I will guard food with my life. So I ignore the plea and lean closer and closer to the branch, my eyes glowing with greed as I prepare to take that first, delicious bite...

Then the next thing I know, I have been rugby tackled, and I'm lying on my side in the snow, dazed. Dazed, and still hungry - I hadn't managed to take a bite of the branch before I was so inelegantly charged. My ears flip back and I give a ferocious bellow as I roll around, desperately trying to get back on my feet. "Do you mind?!" I say indignantly, hooves in the air like I just don't care as I flail around like a beached turtle. My shoulder aches where the mare - the shame, knocked over by a mare - collided with me, as does my side where it slammed into the ground, only slightly padded by snow. Finally I manage to gather my limbs under me and rise to my feet, shaking the snow from my pelt and fixing the bi-coloured female with the filthiest glare I can muster.

She is about my size, and if it wasn't for my hunger-related rage, I would probably have got a little bubble of excitement about the human hand-shaped print on her flank and shoulder, or the finger-painted circle around her eye. As it is, I don't even notice those things - I just see a rude little madam who had the bare-faced cheek to push me away from my dinner. "You wild horses are so rude! If you wanted to share, you only had to ask." I flatten my ears down further and flip my head up to glower at her, the brass on my halter jingling as I do so. Honestly, did her dam not teach her any manners? I'd been whipped away from my own mother far too young, but she'd still had ample time to teach me the ins and outs of horse etiquette. Obviously I sometimes ignored those unwritten rules, and was not adverse to cocking a leg at somebody getting too close or aiming a sharp bite at a rambunctious yearling, but I would never dream of barging somebody away from their lunch!

I shift, wanting to go back towards my branch, whilst muttering under my breath about manners and barbarians and are all mares so moody when spring arrives...

B A D G E R