the Rift

Curiosity Brings Change

akeldama Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Akeldama

Akeldama was growing bored. Bored with her current life, her surroundings, and as unusual as it seemed, her solitude. She had lived in the same area since her parents had abandoned her, not straying too far from where she last saw their dark coats. She had lived here all her life, and was finally tired of seeing the same old scenery. It was time for a change. It was time for her to move on, to seek out a new chapter for her story. There was much to be seen in the world. How would she ever grow if she stuck around in the same place for years on end? She couldn't live like this. Not anymore.

The mare rose to her feet, shaking off the cold earth that stuck to her fur, cobwebs snapping from between the prongs of her golden antlers. Sorry, spiders. I've got to go. Akeldama stood, her eyes panning over the surrounding foliage. Enormous pine trees jutted up from the earth, their rich green needles forming a beautifully shaded home for the solitary mare. It had been her safe place since birth. A sigh escaped her lips, but she paid no mind. It hurt to leave here, but it must be done.

Pushing herself onward, Akeldama began her trek towards a new home. Every step was difficult, and she could feel herself tearing up. No. I can't stay here. I must move on. Akeldama trudged forward, forcing herself to keep her gaze ahead of her.

---------------------------------------------------------

The mare had walked for a couple miles at the least, her aching hooves begging her to stop. She had reached a different area; the trees here were different, larger, more welcoming. Akeldama looked around, her nostrils picking up the scents of many other horses. Who was here? Was she in some sort of danger? Where had she ended up? Confused and somewhat scared, Akeldama forced herself to put on a stoic expression, marching forward into the unknown. She had to be brave.

Word Count: 333

Mortuus Nox Posts: 187
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: Immortal HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Dressy
Mortuus Nox
Your fears have just become all too real
His dead gray eyes looked ahead of him, he knew he was far from what he called his new home at the Basin but he was in the place that was a strange home like feeling to him. He was i the threshold once again and he didn't mind it. The large bellowing trees made a dark canopy over the ghostly stallion, and the shadows danced on his onyx pelt like demons around a fire in hell. Mortuus was a ghastly stallion that only stood about 15'2, but he never let that hold him back and the large muscles were proof that he would be able to take down something twice his size if not bigger. His skin moved over his large muscles making the laced pelt of the stag stretch and contract with every motion. Large cracked hooves stomped against the ground cracking every little stick and leaf under his weight making them scream with pain before their death. He dragged his body weaving through each tree like a dead body with his heavily crowned skull low to the ground. The tangled tresses of his mane and tail drug behind him like a severed head on a string bouncing behind him. He was almost equivalent to the devil himself, if not even more eerie and ghost like. He moved as if he were floating but his frame hung heavy with pain and grief from the past, but that was old and worn on him the pain was no longer felt by this stallion.

He then heard movement in the woods, perhaps another creature that was lighter than himself. Then as he grew closer he heard the footsteps heavy as if the other body was large than himself. A smile flooded his maw as he grew closer trying to find the holder of the steps in the wood. Then he saw a mare she was larger than himself, but he was much more muscled than the creature. She looked weary and worn, her frame hung with exhaustion. He watched in the shadows for a brief moment his morbid gray eyes bestowed on the mare. Then he decided to step out of the shadows like a monster creeping from under the bed "Hello my lady, you look worn and lost. Welcome to Helovia I am Mortuus Nox you may call me Mortuus or Nox either will work. What are you doing out here all alone and in the threshold?"" He questioned in a deep Latin accent that dripped from his mouth like crimson blood. He would offer the mare a home in the Basin if she wished to find a place that was welcoming.

OOC:: @Akeldama welcome to Helovia !! Im Dressy, i can help you out with what i know, but i havnt been here too long, but if you have any questions please ask !:)
Image Credits!

Please tag Mortuus Nox in all posts
magic & permanent injury is permitted excluding death.

Unregistered
Akeldama

It wasn't long before someone decided to approach the disoriented and anxious mare. Akeldama caught their scent as they approached, identifying it as a male before his ebony form came into view. Akeldama was already anxious enough, but now that she was alone with a stallion? Her nerves spiked, heart raced with fear of the unknown. 

The nearing stallion was solid black, muscles rippling lightly as he approached her. His mane and tail looked to be made of the abyss, their dark tresses flowing behind him. Long, curving horns arched back from his head, a cuff around one with a glimmering emerald catching Akeldama's eye. His eyes were light, almost like her own, but his lacked any hints of blue. There was something oddly serene about the stallion's visage, but what exactly caused it, Akeldama couldn't pinpoint.

The stallion stopped ahead of her, keeping a respectable distance. Akeldama had half expected the man to get closer, invade her personal space, but was relieved to see that he had some manners. He greeted her, introducing himself as Mortuus Nox, and went on to ask why she was alone. Why she was alone? Akeldama had been alone for years! She couldn't seem to form the proper words to answer, so she paused, trying to reorganize her thoughts into coherent words.

"Nox... hm. My name is Akeldama, and I... I've been alone for many years. Decided a change of scenery would do me some good." There. That wasn't so hard! Akeldama mentally sighed with relief, glad she didn't stumble too badly. Though as she looked upon the stallion, her eyes narrowed. "What's a stallion doing on his own, anyways?" Her tone was condescending and suspicious, Akeldama taking a cautious step back.

((Hi Dressy! :D Thank you for offering me help and giving Akeldama someone to talk to! :) ))

Words: 288
@Mortuus Nox

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
The sun’s bright light trickles through the trees, falling lazily on the figure of the blue mare, tucked away into a melting snowbank. The rays dance along the curve of her cheek, playing with the lines of her face until eventually, their golden fingers manage to peek through her eyelids. She blinks once against the brightness of day, slow and bleary, disoriented from the slumber that had taken her so suddenly, her pink tongue peeking out from behind her lips as she releases a dawdling yawn. It takes a long, groggy moment for her mind to catch up, for memories and images to spring back into her consciousness—but when it does, it’s like a tidal wave when it all hits her.

“ASHAMIN!”

The stallion’s name is a rasping gasp, choking from the sudden tightness of her throat and struggling into the cool spring air as though it is water rather than oxygen. Her white eyes grow wide, blinking rapidly as they adjust to the brilliance of the sun, her slender legs thrust forward as she struggles to lift herself to her hooves. The mare’s muscles are slow to respond to her commands (still dazed with the lingering fog of sleep that clings to her awareness) and she stumbles forward several times before properly regaining her footing.

Flicking the length of her leonine tail out behind her, the unicorn mare urges herself forward, leaping into a canter. Like the strong tide of her father ocean, Tiamat surges through the woods. She doesn’t yet care to consider where she is or how she had gotten here—she feels weird, like her body had been put on pause, and she is only just beginning to catch up—with only thoughts of the painted stallion and her parents whizzing and writhing chaotically through her mind’s eye. “Ashamin?!” She calls breathlessly, the weight of the horror and pain crushing down on her chest.

It couldn’t have been real.

Desperate, it is the sound of distant voices that manages to steal her attention, their echo ringing through her panic and forcing focus into the turmoil of her mind. Her breath pooling in wispy transparent vapors around her nostrils, Tiamat comes to a jarring halt, fluted ears pricked and rotating as she picks out the voice from the trees. Finally, it dawns on her that she is not in a place entirely unfamiliar—the Threshold being the origin of many here in Helovia—and the deep, coarse rumbling of another friend sparks recognition. An immediate rush of relief fills her bones and warms her muscles with the thought of someone familiar. Picking up a bouncing trot, the young unicorn follows their direction with zealous strides.

She draws near enough to hear the strange mare’s introduction, breaking through the trees and stopping before them with bright, eager eyes. “Nox!” She breathes, her voice almost a sigh of relief when she sees him, offering a warm smile and reaching out to touch his cheek, “It is good to see you again, my friend.” Feeling far more grounded now, Tiamat shifts her attention to the one she doesn’t know, always keen on making a new friend. “Hello!” Her grin broadens happily, the relief in her expression too overwhelming now for her to fret over the chill that lingers hauntingly along her spine.

“Your name is Akeldama, you said? That’s very pretty, I like it,” her praise is nothing but sincere, dainty ears pressing forward as her eyes rest on the other mare’s—as white as her own—with hopeful kindliness, “mine is Tiamat. It’s nice to meet you! You’re no longer alone, if you don’t to be, at least.” Tiamat, being the sociable and innocent young thing that she is, can’t even fathom the desire to want to be alone, but she knows everyone is different. What’s important is that they are here now for Akeldama, if she wishes them to be.

notes; Welcome again Maus!:D also, if you're interested (or confused), Tiamat is just waking up from her dream in passive mode, which is here.
“Speech.”
image credits
@Akeldama
@Mortuus Nox
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Dressy
Mortuus Nox
He smiled softly at the poor frightened mare. She did not look to off guard, but he could tell she was very uncomfortable with him standing there eventhough he stoof off a good amount of feet away for her. Maybe it was his ghostly, eerie appearance that never helped when meeting new people, but he was once always alone and never near others so he did not mind looking like a demonic being. His gray eyes watched the odd colored mare as if they were looking right through her sole. Not a speck of emotion laid deep within them. He had a blank look on his face and that same look remained while he waited for her to answer. She probable had not been around a stallion for a long time, but lucky for her he was not of any interest to try to make her his. He was just on a walk today and wondering around Helovia. When the frail mare spoke to him her words shook like a leaf in her chest and her name finally christened her tender shaking maw Akeldama.. What an interesting name. " Well there is nothing to be worried about Akeldama, i know what its like to be alone for so long. I lived alone since i was a tender age of one by myself, and i not here to do you any harm. I still enjoy being alone that is why i take walks through Helovia its a time for me to regather my thoughts. I decided i would stop through the Theshold To see if there were any lost souls like my self wondering through. It can be a scary place by yourself, and i know I am not the most joyful thing to be around here, but you look like you need some company. ". As his Latin words finished me smiled softly at the shy mare answering her questions with ease.

Then he heard another approaching the steps almost flustered as it arrived closer he turned his head to see Tiamat standing there. Her blue body was covered in a damp sweat as she called his name " Hello Love, Are you okay? "He smiled at the blue mare as she touched his cheek and he reached out and touched hers to comfort her and try to help relax a bit. Something about this little mare made him a different person " Well i am glad to see you here, i think you came at a wonderful time. I did not wish to scare our new friend, but that is very easy for me to do if you know what i mean." He smiled brightly again looking back to their friend. His large black legs shifted under his weight as he then looked back to Tiamat. Hopefully they will be able to bring her home with them to the Basin.

OOC:: Sorry for being short and crappy i gotta go to work!!
Image Credits!

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
[ thirding that welcome! ]

Darkness: shadows and poison, deathless silver—fog-gray, more like, the kind of mess you found when you've just crawled out of Hell.

Water: seaweeds and seashells, an ever-shifting shimmer like sun rays through rippling water. She's elegant next to the Devil she kisses.

Ice: glacial. That's simply all that he is—the rock-hard, unyielding, unforgiving ice beneath layers of soft, treacherous snow. But what he hides beneath, not even he is quite sure of.

And then, the Unknown—what element is she?

As Mauja neared them through the familiar spiderweb of trees something about her made him think of the wind. It wasn't her color—no no no, if anything it made him think of a desert shore underneath the full splendor of a golden, low moon—so maybe it was something in her voice, in her stance, in the slimness of her build and the wary elegance of her pose. He thought he (or well, Irma, the pale owl circling the gathering on silent wings) saw stubbornness in her, some kind of determination, the kind of hard edges you earn when you're tired. He thought about it as he moved, a silent remnant of winter slipping through the springtime forest. She stepped back from the black, tangled stallion, and Mauja's lips curved into a humorless smile. And this one hadn't even intruded too much on her space, like Caleb was wont to do.

Good thing the Basin had not sent its finest soldier today, then.

Mauja slipped out of the woodwork as Nox fell silent in the wake of Tiamat's simple joy. It reminded him of another mare, another time, another season, and another place; of a mare with a black-and-white body, every breath spreading the kind of joy she seemed made of, infectious and heartening and.. well, all sorts of things. He had said he was Mauja of nowhere, and to her, it had seemed like the loneliest thing ever.

"Greetings," he said, his voice tuned down but not a whisper—surprisingly light as it made its way out of his chest. His black-rimmed ears flicked forward, his pale face serene. The last time he'd been to the Threshold he'd left the gathering feeling shunned. Today, he felt better to begin with, so he hoped it wouldn't end the same way.

"I am Mauja, of the World's Edge. You're in a land known as Helovia, in a specific place simply called the Threshold. Crowds usually gather around newcomers here, so there's no need to worry about the attention you're attracting." This time, when his lips curved into a smile, it was small but light, reflecting the faint warmth of his pale eyes.

[ @Akeldama ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Unregistered
Akeldama

Before Nox had a chance to speak, another horse burst into their field of vision. This new female was blue like her, but much more vivid than her own coat. A single curved, ivory horn caught the mare's attention, and an unusual tail earned a brow raise from Akeldama. The new mare greeted Nox, the two horses must share a bond of some kind. This eased Akeldama's worries about rogue stallions, and she mentally breathed a sigh of relief.

The cerulean mare introduced herself as Tiamat, her kind demeanor and friendliness garnering a smile from Akeldama. "It's very nice to meet you as well." She dipped her head respectfully to Tiamat, glad to have another female presence in the area.

Nox began to speak up again, informing the clueless mare that she was in a land known as Helovia, more specifically, a territory known as the Threshold. She had just entered Helovia, and this was apparently an area that many horses gather in the hopes of meeting new friends. Nox was glad to be near Tiamat, and Akeldama was finally at ease with the two of them. Neither seemed to be giving off any dangerous energies so far.

The trio was enjoying a peaceful silence between exchanged words when a third stranger approached. This time, a white stallion emerged from the trees, his coat speckled with black spots. Blue eyes caught Akeldama's gaze quickly, an icy horn catching the light. He greeted her calmly and quietly, and instinctively, Akeldama took a step towards Tiamat, just in case.

The stallion introduced himself as Mauja, of a land called World's Edge. Akeldama figured she'd learn of these places with time, and decided not to ask. He informed her of her location in the Threshold, and she nodded. "I am aware, but thank you." Though her tone was curt, Akeldama meant no offense.

So now there were four. Looking around at the surrounding unicorns, Akeldama frowned a bit. Everyone here had horns, the closest resemblance to her antlers being Nox' spiraling horns. Hmm. Briefly glancing upward at the golden branches on her head, Akeldama looked to the others. "Well, I'm the odd one out. Everyone here has horns instead of antlers. Hm." She let out a quiet chuckle, knowing that she loved her own antlers. They acted as a crown to her, their golden twines accenting her blue coat naturally. She took great pride in them, but now felt like the odd horse, despite their regal appearance.

Where had these horses come from? Were they all rogues, the loners of the land, or did they belong to a herd? Were herds even a thing in this land? What if these horses were the expelled, the chased off members of a past herd? Allowing her curiosity to leak from her mind, she decided to ask. "Are you all herd members? Or are you all rogues, like me?"

-------------------------

Words: 483
((Thank you all for the welcomes!! I love this place already and everyone's characters are amazing!))

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
The ocean mare smiles bashfully when the scarred black stallion greets her, inquiring if she is alright. Her heart still thrums in her ears and the weight of dread and apprehension still tighten her chest, but she feels a temporary sort of relief now to be in the familiar company of a friend. “I’m better now,” she says, allowing her grin to grow a little more confident on her lips. She would never lie to Nox of course, but there is a time and place for everything, and she doesn’t need to worry everyone now with the subdued panic that lingers forebodingly in her mind, flashing at her ghastly images of fears she hopes to leave behind.

No, now is a time for Akeldama, and she gives the pretty antlered mare her attention willingly, wanting nothing more than to forget herself and offer aid to a stranger. After all, she had been that stranger once—several years ago, when the kind brown mare had taken her freely into her companionship and led her home. Home. Tiamat smiles, wanting to offer Akeldama such acceptance as she had received.

White eyes drift again to her dark friend when he continues, his words enticing a light chuckle from Tiamat’s lips and she shakes her head, the shells tinkling in her mane. “There is nothing to be scared of, I promise. He’s more bark than bite,” she speaks to the other mare, casting a playful glance to Nox in her lighthearted tease, meaning only the best by it and wanting to ease the minor tension between the two. After all, the ocean mare knows nothing else of the black stallion. Despite the roughness of his appearance, she has seen the goodness in his heart, and believes unequivocally in its honest influence.

It is then when their company is joined by another, a black-spotted stallion that she has never seen before. Naturally Tiamat gives him a friendly smile as she would anyone else, although movement from the corner of her eye snags her attention, and she turns to see that Akeldama has shifted closer to her. The blue unicorn’s grin softens, and she too moves just a little bit closer to the other mare, readily offering what ease she might need. The last thing she wants is for Akeldama to feel crowded or uncomfortable, but at the same time, she doesn’t want the stallion—Mauja, he says—to feel shirked either.

“It’s a pleasure, Mauja. I’m Tiamat,” her smile widens again to flash the whiteness of her teeth—so childlike in her trusting of others—and she considers introducing the other two, but not wanting to force them into the spotlight, she allows them to do as they wish.

A dainty ear twisting with the midnight mare’s voice, white eyes follow suit to look to her face. “Oh but your antlers are so lovely! Their color is stunning,” Tiamat glows, admiring the golden crown atop the mare’s head, before her gaze follows Akeldama’s around their little gathering. “We all have different horns here; Helovia is full of a wide variety of individuals, as I’m sure you can guess. It’s beautiful,” had she been more exposed to the cold realities of the world, Tiamat might take note of the simple fact that they all are unicorns and the prejudices that some might call upon, but as it is, she only sees their companionship.

“I believe we all are members of a herd,” she continues, “Nox here and I are from a herd called Aurora Basin, up North. It’s a remarkable place.” The ocean mare’s features brighten at the mention of her homeland, obviously quite taken with it. It is her home, she loves it, and she feels honored to call it such. “Mauja, I believe you said you were from World’s Edge?” She glances courteously to the spotted stallion, not knowing much more than the name of his land, before looking back to Akeldama. “And there are two other herds as well. You’re welcome to join any of them, or also travel Helovia as an Outcast, which is simply someone who isn’t connected to a herd—a rogue, as you said,” Tiamat gives a little nod and a smile to her.

notes; I figured I'd leave the boys to explain more themselves so Tia doesn't take over xD
“Speech.”
image credits | @Akeldama @Mortuus Nox @Mauja
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Dressy
Mortuus Nox
His heavy black body shifted moving his large pillars to see the third voice approaching them. It was deep but light, it was the voice of a stallion growing closer. He introduced himself a Mauja, he cold gray eyes looked over the stallions icy orbs. Nox watched with postmortem eyes as the stallion spoke, they had glazed gray film over them. His ghostly body was well muscled and covered in scars that would crisscross with bear skin peeking through his soft black pelt. As he listened to the stag he realized he was from the place where on of the mares that he met in the threshold was from. She had tried to get him to come back with her, but he decided to go to the basin with Rexanna. A sigh left his mouth as he turned back to Tiamat to listen to her speak a sigh of relief, then explain to the other mare he was more bark than bite. That may be true for right now, but he had a lot of bite festering within his soul that could snap at any time, but now was not that time. Then The blue mare went on to speak about her options in  Helovia then he decided to speak up after the painted dark mare spoke about her odd antlers. "I am Nox .""he looked back to the spotted stallion"There are an odd array of horns and antlers around here. In all honestly most only have one horn i was blessed with two, like your self. Yours are just more spectacular and ornate than my own demonic ones. Anyways i was always a, so you say outcast before I came across Helovia and one of my friends guided me to the Basin,;where me and Tiamat are from like she said. I truly enjoy the Basin it is filled with a world of only unicorns, there are some hybrids with wings, but you will be amazed by the spectacular sights of all the Unicorns ;and the Basin mountains are splendidly gorgeous. We have everything a unicorn could ever want, and there are a few in the Basin with Antlers like you, but they are not golden. Me and Tiamat could show you to the Basin and you could see if you enjoy it, but it is in fact your decision if you would like to come see our gorgeous mountains and meet the others. I will not push anything on you because it is ultimately your decision on what herd you want to join, or if you would like to be alone and be an outcast." He smiled softly to the mare hoping she would choose to join him and Tiamat in the basin,but they cant force her to come against her will.  His deep latin voice rung through the woods with every word that dripped out of his mouth. His ghostly appearance gave him a serene type of feel as he awaited for the spotted stag to respond. Although Nox did not look like much he was planning on being successful with bringing Akeldama to the Basin with the help of Tiamat of course.
OOC:: @Akeldama @Mauja @Tiamat sorry it took so long i have been sick:(
Image Credits!

Unregistered
Akeldama

Tiamat was definitely a very friendly mare, and a stable source of comfort for the anxious mare. Despite being in a very open group, being outnumbered by strange males had caused Akeldama to feel quite uneasy. At least until Tiamat showed up. Her kindness and confidence had lifted Akeldama's worries, and the four were now together with very little nervousness in the air.

The aquatic mare complimented her golden antlers, earning a subtle smile from the blue mare. She was proud of her own antlers, but had felt a bit outnumbered by the other horses here. They all had horns, and she had wide, branching antlers sprouting from her skull.

When prompted about their herd status, both Tiamat and Nox spoke up, filling the mare's mind with wonderful information about their herd -- Aurora Basin. The name had caught her attention quickly, as the mare had always been fascinated by the aurora up north. She had always wished to see it, but had never traveled north before. The two horses quickly offered to take her to the Basin, to let her see their land and even join their herd.

Joining a herd? Oh dear. Such a big, important step for the solitary mare. Akeldama paused, thinking to herself as the other two spoke of their land. Moving into a herd meant protection, new friends, and maybe even a chance to find love. But at the same time, she might not be able to escape if she didn't like it. But... Tiamat and Nox were wonderful and spoke proudly of the Basin, so what could she possibly be losing? She'd be losing her life of solitude and loneliness, but Akeldama could only see that as a positive thing.

Smiling, the mare gave a gentle nod. "Nox, Tiamat... I would be honored to return to the Basin with you two. You've quickly earned my trust, which, honestly... is not an easy feat." Another grin slid onto her visage, growing wider. "You speak so proudly of it. I'd like to experience this land for myself." Remembering that Mauja was still there, she turned to look at the pearly stallion. "I do apologize for leaving so soon, but I think I've found a new home with these two. It was a pleasure to meet you, Mauja." Akeldama dipped her head respectfully to the stallion, then turned to the two others. "Lead the way."

-----------------------
((OOC: I wanted to get Akeldama going, so heading to the Basin seemed like a good idea! I'm sorry for skipping you, Neo. Just trying to get everything going. xD))
@Mortuus Nox @Mauja @Tiamat
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
[ No worries! I'm a sucker for actually finishing threads (on my part lol) though so last post from me. <3 ]

Well.

Turns out this was tasting too similar to what he had experienced just a few days prior—a feeling like destroying something fragile, of not fitting in, of standing out like a sore thumb, of..

Of being a bad individual.

It had very little grounding in either of logic and reality—it was just the kind of slow, seeping feeling that drifted up from the bottom of your tentative soul, growing blacker and blacker with each inch until it was a flood of poison in your veins. It was food for the fire of uncertainty, a voice in the back of his head whispering you are still that demon.

(He thinks of a dream, of gold leaking out through his every scar, of gold shining out of his eyes; of a golden shield holding the darkness at bay, as the demons of his mind hurled themselves against it, desperate to drag his soul back into the darkness.)

He had fallen, then, through the core of the world, with the words I have damned myself ringing through the chaos.

He had meant his choices in life; the things he had done. Now.. now it felt more like Helovia had permanently branded him "villain" even though the Mauja of the dream was buried beneath sixteen feet of ice and snow and no one here and any way of knowing what sort of stupid shit he'd done in his time.

It was a strange repetition of the meeting with Sabriel; Akeldama's voice was short in the same sense, lacking hints of animosity but biting all the same.

She had even shied away from him, too, even though the blue mare smiled her pleasure. Somehow, he reflected the gesture. When she looked to him for confirmation on where he belonged, he nodded. The World's Edge—the ass-end of Helovia. No wonder Akeldama so quickly made up her mind to go with Big Scary and Blue Lady, though Mauja figured it had more to do with Blue Lady. "Of course," he said mildly, once again staving off a hollowing disappointment that threatened to swarm his eyes with tears. "I wish you luck, all of you."

Irma descended from the lonely sky to ride his shoulders as he turned to trek back home.

[ @Mortuus Nox @Akeldama @Tiamat | This is the dream referenced: the lanterns won't go out at night ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here