the Rift

[OPEN] herbology

Badger Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Gelding :: Equine :: 15'2hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow

THEY LIED WHEN THEY SAID THE GOOD DIE YOUNG

It is a chilly spring morning as I meander across the Throat's now-lush landscape, and oh, I've never been more happy to have chosen to live here. Grass is everywhere, and I just want to gorge myself on it after a long winter of near-starvation. Well, near-starvation by my standards, anyway; I am used to rich foods, warmth and stability, so surviving my first winter in the wild is one hell of an achievement for me. My sleeker sides and new slimline figure demonstrate the effects the season has had on me, but I'm alive and that is all that matters. Come next winter I may be better prepared - this time, I had been too busy trying to come to terms with freedom and the wilderness, with magic and unicorns and a blessed lack of humanity.

So I move through the Throat at a steady amble, my jaws hungrily ripping great chunks of lush spring grass from the ground. As hungry as I am, though, my intention isn't to eat my way through the entire Throat - no, I have a far more important mission. Ever since I helped save the black pegasus with my herb knowledge, I have grown even more determined to fufill my duties as a healer of this herd. I need to do something with my life. This is my calling; I save lives. Perhaps it's what I was born to do. I can't fight, I'm no politician or diplomat, I can't even do what every animal craves and pass my genes down to the next generation, but I can heal. So heal I will.

I  am looking for herbs to keep and stash, should I ever need them to help somebody. It isn't as good as having a healing-related magic, of course,  but as Shadow could testify, it did just fine in a pinch. She and her foal are alive because of me, and that's the greatest thing I have ever done in my life. I soon locate a crop of the raspberry leaves I'd used to stop the black mare bleeding out, and I quickly chop a few strands and stash them under a nearby rock. Pondering, I wonder if there is some way a magical Helovian could create me a bag to keep my herbs in, perhaps one that hangs from my halter....oh, I have really discovered my passion now! ""

image credits

@Morrigan

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
Sheba

Confined to the island, you have done a lot of walking these past few weeks—mainly to see if there was any way off, at first, but now that you have thoroughly skirted the perimeter and realized otherwise, you figure that you might as well get acquainted with its nooks, crannies, and hiding places. You never know how long you’ll be stuck in this place.

It has come to your attention as well that there is a herd living here, and that by default, you’re kind of a part of it. However, thus far, you have observed the Throat citizens from a calculated distance, only interacting with them in rare instances. You tell yourself that it is for a variety of reasons—namely, that you don’t need to develop ties to these merely circumstancial  herdmates—but in your heart of hearts, you know that you cannot stand their pity, nor the feeling that you might owe them anything. Sure, one of them had brought you here (and by brought, you really mean unceremoniously dumped you here in the middle of a sandstorm), but she’d long since wandered off. That would have been the end of it too, had you not been stranded in the middle of this desert.  

Still, with the sun on your back and plenty of food, it couldn’t be said that the Throat hasn’t treated you well. Hollow ribs are beginning to look a little less so, and your disgusting winter coat has begun to fall out in patches, causing the small, sharp-eyed desert birds to trail behind you in an annoying flock, snatching up the milky hair like trophies for their burrows. The warmer weather has been good to your joints too, and your walk is slightly less stiff—not anywhere near the beautiful fluid trot you prided yourself on in your real body, but at least the only bit of you suffering these days was your wounded vanity.

Anyhow, you’re walking along, trying to ditch the birds, when you spot a dark figure not too far off. Normally, you’d just turn around and leave him alone, but he catches your eye with the way he is moving: stopping, then inching along again, then…is he tucking things under rocks? Your eyes narrow, and you begin to drift along off to the side, casually grazing with one eye on him. What could he be up to?

OOC: Hope you don't mind Sheba crashing!

All she ever wanted was the world
Coding base by Tamme | Image by Shady

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca
Morrigan

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't becoming unbearably bored with the lack of activity lately, driven into madness by the withdrawal from anything even remotely interesting. It was almost amusing at how dull things had become ever since I had started separating myself from Bucephalus, in fact, I hadn't even seen the winged stallion in a few months. Sikeax was somewhere, I was sure of it...But, other than that there was a general lack of friendship between the rest of the herd and myself. I was just a shadow of the desert, with no one but Pongo to keep me company.
A small wave of resentment washed over me, a feeling that was not my own. I realized that it was actually my beloved bongo shooting a glare at me, trying to express that my concerns made him feel as though his company had not been good enough. "I'm sorry Pongo, it's just really quiet with the two of us." The antelope seemed to understand what I meant, pausing to think it over before giving a final nod and returning to his grazing. Spring had been a God-send to us, the both of us were finally beginning to put back some weight to our thin frames.
Pongo suddenly started sputtering and hacking, his small tongue desperately trying to scrape something off. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it was fluffy white hairs...A small puff of fur that had caught in the vegetation from someone that was losing their winter coat. I couldn't help but chuckle at my companion's expense while movement caught my attention ahead. There was a stallion scavenging the earth for...something...And a snowy mare, who must have been the culprit to Pongo's hairball. Both of the figures were unfamiliar to me, and the stallion wore a strange contraption on his head. I stood and watched them for some time, realizing that the stallion was actually gathering plants and stashing them under rocks. I had done similar things with useful herbs, though I let freshly picked plants hang from my braids for future use. Was this a new healer to the herd?

Softly, I stepped closer to the ivory mare, though made sure to keep enough distance in case she startled easily to avoid a jab of her sharp horn or a hard kick. I felt more comfortable at the side of another vixen, rather than approaching the stallion first. Even if he was of my rank. Scarlet orbs glanced at the mare for a second before offering a friendly nod towards her. "Hello, pleasant day today, yes?" It was a sad attempt at a conversation starter as I looked back up towards the stallion that now had an audience. I made sure to speak audibly loud enough for the both of them to hear me, welcoming both to converse with me though preferring to stay nearer to the mare.

Pongo, having finally spat out the last of the hairs, did not want near the shedding vixen and cast a stern look at her as he waltzed right on by. He was a bit more curious about the stallion's actions, beginning to follow his footsteps and sniffing every plant that the healer plucked from.

@Badger & @Sheba
[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.

Snow

I become aware of another presence, and lift my head to see who it is. It's a mare, unicorn, grazing delicately nearby. She is a pretty thing, if a little on the skinny side. Perhaps she, like myself, has suffered from a long, harsh winter. I stop my herb-tucking momentarily to offer her a warm smile, my gentle brown eyes fixing on her as I dip my head in a friendly nod. I make it a mission of mine to meet more herdmates, because if I'm going to survive in a herd with these wild horses, I need to learn to interact with them and their queer ways. My body language is none-confrontational, with my ears rammed forwards and my head held at a level that doesn't appear dominant. "Hello there," I say, making sure my voice is cheery. "I'm Badger, a healer here. What's your name?"

My attention is then grabbed by the approach of another mare, this one black like myself save for the tip of her mane and tail, and the cobwebs across her back. Her markings are curious, and I find myself scrutinising them closely. Some bizarre antelope-like creature comes towards me and sniffs every plant I pluck herbs from. Because I'm polite, I don't aim a kick at it - chances are, it is bonded to the cobweb-mare, and she is probably a herdmate. Besides, it's not really doing any harm as long as it only sniffs plants I've already reaped herbs from. If it tries to nibble on a plant I'm headed towards, I may just have to dirty look it or beefy-chest it out of the way.

I notice that the black mare moves closer to the pale one rather than me, and I wonder if they are friends or if the black is simply mistrusting of men. After all, without looking between my legs, it is hard for most people to know I am not a stallion, even if my lack of muscle and arrogant testosterone-fuelled swagger can be enough to give it away to certain sharp individuals. I have only limited experience around stallions - and mostly I find them to be asshats who could do with the same snippity-snip treatment I received - and truly marvel at the way some of them treat mares. Heavens, if there's one good thing about my 'condition' (which is how I choose to refer to it), it is that I can speak to a woman as a friend, not as somebody to impregnate. On the down side, it leaves me stuck between two groups, fitting into neither - mares don't properly see me as 'one of the girls', and stallions mock or bully me, leaving me only other geldings for company. So far, Helovia is sans geldings, probably due to the absence of scissor-happy humans.

But perhaps I'm reading too far into it, and the black woman is simply more friendly towards her own gender. Still, I smile at her. "More pleasant than winter, certainly. Might I ask your name, miss?" Again, my voice is neutral and calm, my head tilted slightly with polite curiosity.

image credits

Fine by me @Sheba ! :D @Morrigan

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
Sheba
another ticking bomb to bury deep and detonate

Though there were few trees on this godsforsaken island (and consequently little cover), the wizened mare was still rather surprised that they noticed her. For most of her life, beauty had set her apart, and she was no stranger to being placed on a pedestal. Her body had been the target of many a stranger’s gaze, whether it was lecherous, jealous, or openly admiring. But with this withering curse had come an ugliness that usually rendered her invisible, and in situations where strangers would have once approached her, she had grown used to being passed over in favor of those with harder bodies and prettier faces. And while she hated them for ignoring her, Sheba had eventually come to use it to her advantage. She had wrapped her anonymity around her like a warm cloak on a snowy winter night, slipping here and there largely unnoticed.

However, she was not one to show her surprise, and upon the greetings from both the stag (who had now stopped his digging) and the mare (who had seemingly sidled up out of nowhere—curse these rheumy eyes!), she merely nodded curtly. “I suppose it’s pleasant, if you like that sort of thing,” she griped, strolling closer. “I for one, would have enjoyed a walk without the entourage,” Here, she bared her teeth at the flock of birds hopping along behind her and sent them scattering with a threatening flick of her ratty tail. “But we never can have everything we want, can we Badger?” Sheba commented, turning her gaze to the rather pudgy male. Heaving a slight sigh that somehow still managed to be melodramatic, she cocked a hoof and addressed the pair. “Anyhow, they call me Sheba.” Perhaps they expected her to elaborate, to state her rank as Badger had done, but she had never been one for revealing unnecessary details. Besides, niceties were not what interested her.

“What are you doing with those?” she asked, gesturing with her muzzle to the small bundles just visible underneath the nearest rock. From the way he was letting the little deer creature snuffle all over them, Sheba guessed that they weren’t particularly important, but she wanted the satisfaction of hearing him answer. And he would, she suspected. Badger, she judged, was not the type to lie—his face was too honest and his girth too soft to allow for deception. Sheba enjoyed subtlety and trickery as much as the next conniving shrew, but why slip through the bars of a gate when you had the key?

OOC: Yay for table/perspective changes mid-thread oops. Also, I apologize for the delay!

"speech"
Image Credits || original coding by Tamme; modified by Shady
Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca
Morrigan

My gaze followed the ivory mare's glare towards a flock of birds that had followed her, the corner of my lips pulling into a light-hearted smirk at a pair that were fighting over a piece of fluff. I could imagine that it was relatively annoying, but at least they were only trying to pick up the fallen bits instead of pecking out her coat. Auds flicked forward as the stallion stepped a bit closer, scarlet gaze darting towards him cautiously as he introduced himself. With a tuck of my chin I dipped my muzzle towards the both of them as they introduced themselves, my interest peaking as Badger announced his rank. A fellow healer? My, I had missed quite a bit to have not noticed that we had more healers among our rankings.

"A pleasure to meet you both, Badger and Sheba. My name is Morrigan, and that-" I paused to toss my nose in the direction of my companion who was slowly making his way back to me. "-is Pongo." As my darling bongo returned to my side, I reached down to nuzzle him between his large ears before lifting my scarlet gaze back to the haltered male. "It seems you and I are of the same rank,perhaps we can share our knowledge sometime?" When the beautiful mare next to me asked about the herbs, I could not help but smile knowingly. Badger may have had his own way of handling his important leaves and herbs, but I had a general idea of what he was trying to do with them. "I too store some medicinal plants, I keep some dried ones in my mane." With that I turned slightly to show the two long braids that had been hidden by the rest of my mane, dragging on the sands to create snake-trails. Tucked between the braids were several different plants and herbs, from devil's claw to small aloe leaves.

@Badger & @Sheba
[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.

Snow

I follow the first mare's gaze towards the flock of birds following her. "Funny, the chicks usually follow me," I joke, but it falls flat on my lips. I can almost hear the tumbleweed. If I was a muscle-bound, swaggering stud of studliness then perhaps that jest would actually be funny, but alas, I am not, and it is not. "They don't, actually. Forget I said that." I force a smile, feeling my skin heat beneath my fur. See, this is why I usually choose to lurk awkwardly away from society - my unfunny jokes and trying-too-hard aura ensure that I always struggle to make friends.

She introduces herself as Sheba, and I dip my head in recognition. The black cobweb-mare adds her name, as well as that of her companion, and they both receive a nod as well. The tiniest grin of amusement flickers at the corner of my muzzle at the antelope's name, and a nostalgic mist floats across my eyes. One of the humans at the stable had had a spotted dog called Pongo. Goodness knows where they got that name from. She suggests sharing our healing knowledge, and reveals she is of the same rank. My ears prick and my head lifts, immediately interested.

She answers Sheba's question for me as well, and I nod my agreement. "Yep, that's what I'm doing. With recent events, you can never have too many herbs stored!" I am referring, of course, to the recent Bear God fight. "I would definitely love to share what we know!" She turns, displaying her mane, which drips with herbs. "Ooh! Which ones have you got there?" My enthusiasm makes me bounce on my hooves as I resist the temptation to stick my face into Morrigan's mane to examine her chosen herbs. Instead I gesture to a small pile of my own, gathered near Pongo. "They're the leaves of a raspberry plant. They can help clot the blood - I used them recently on a mare who had a difficult birth, to stem her bleeding." I'm still insufferably proud of that, and thank the humans for their knowledge of alternative medicine.

image credits

@Sheba @Morrigan