the Rift

[OPEN] Happy Birthday to Me [Hatching]

Areli Posts: 82
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 hh :: 3 (Birdsong) HP: 65.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bee :: Grey Wolf :: None Shady

ARELI
Do you still believe in love, I wonder?

Spring has arrived, and with it, the last of your primary feathers. In the span of your first year, your downy wings have grown glossy and strong, filling out with soft brown plumes and slender muscles, virgin and untested. In the past few months, you watched the transformation with delight, and now that your wings are fully grown, you have taken to admiring them greatly, preening them unceasingly and ruffling the feathers at every opportunity. Though the last season has brought many changes, this is a welcome one. And it is not the only improvement: as your vision and hearing finally catch up with your development, your sense of balance slowly strengthens—not that you notice much, for you’re still growing into your leggy body and are nearly as clumsy as before. At least, you think, tripping over your own hooves as you trot away from home, at least you’ve mastered the art of catching yourself now.

Mama had promised to teach you how to fly come spring (and you are itching to learn), but when the last of the snow had melted a few days ago, she was nowhere to be found. Her absence didn’t alarm you, for you figured that she had gone off to patrol somewhere and you were no longer glued to her side, but still, you were impatient. The stone dragon she had crafted for you could only entertain you for so long, and so after a good day of tossing the figurine back and forth and a lively one-sided conversation, you had knotted the little doll into your tail for safekeeping and had set off to seek your fun elsewhere.

Naturally, the thistle meadow had called to you, and you had instinctively headed in that direction, longing for the open space that would make takeoff easy. You may not know how to fly, but the stirrings in the more hollow bones you possessed serve as a subconscious guide, and likely play a large role in the brilliant idea that strikes you as the meadow unfolds before you in all of its prickly glory. What if you could figure out how to fly by yourself? Now that you had all of the feathers, it couldn’t be that hard—and wouldn’t Mama be surprised! The thought sends you into a near convulsion of private giggling as you imagine the look of shock and pride on her face. And so it’s settled: today you will achieve flight.

Now, you think, looking around brightly, how did Mama do it again? You knew that sometimes she took off from a standstill, but you also remembered seeing Ilios fly, and sometimes he got a running start. Illy’s method seems slightly easier, and a lot more fun, so that’s what you decide to try first. Spreading your wings like dark sails, you are the picture of elegance for a brief moment…and then you charge forward into the meadow, squawking and leaping and flapping, but mostly sending dandelion fluff everywhere as you carve a chaotic path into the weeds.

You do get some lift, you think, when you feel your stomach flip giddily as your hooves leave the ground and you feel air under your primaries. But really, it is nothing more than the consequence of your last enthusiastic hop towards the sky, and you come tumbling down to earth with your dreams of flight unachieved. However, you had been so excited at the prospect of success that you forget to catch yourself. Luckily, the thistles provide a springy (if not itchy) cushion, so only your ego is a bit bruised when you roll over yourself. Winded but exhilarated, you lie still, resting your cheek on the damp plants…and that’s when the egg catches your eye.

It is larger than any egg you have ever seen in nature, and unlike the smaller eggs you’ve seen, no nest cradles it. It merely sits amongst the thistles, round and fragile, looking rather vulnerable…and you feel your heart go out to it. “Poor little lonely egg,” you coo, rearranging your limbs into more of an upright sprawl. “Whatcha doing out here all by yourself?”

OOC: Hatching thread for Are; anyone's welcome!

"speech"

Image Credit || coding by Tamme

@Volterra perhaps, if you're interested?
[Image: areli_by_moonstone_designs-d9dgh47.png]
Icon base: Bronzehalo
Please do not tag Areli except in opening posts!

Ilios Posts: 200
Dragon's Throat Informant atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15 :: 4 (Frostfall) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Isabella :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Parelia

"I'm gazing upward, a world I can't embrace..."

The buzzing bees and chirping birds had drawn the now resting colt out of the Throat. It was well passed time to visit his little sister. She was a year old now of course and he told her he would be back for his birthday. It was his plan to stop on the way and grab some pretty flowers maybe a cool stone for a present.  That's just what he did, the boy found a nice little patch of lavender and picked a whole mouth full. How happy she would be to see him with her present. Excitement pounded through him as he trotted proudly towards the Hidden Falls.

Of course he had thoughts that she wouldn't be happy to see him. He was terrified the smoky black would have moved on, or worse; resent him. What if he was out with his blood family, for good? What would he do then? He could try and tell himself that they didn't matter, that he had an even better family in the Throat, but that would only be a lie. Shaking the horrible thoughts away he turned his attention to the world around him.

The sound of flapping wings brought the the boy to a halt. Carefully he crept towards the edge of the Thistle Meadow wondering what was going on.  Silver eyes caught sight of the person he had been heading to see. She was trying to fly, probably for the first time, and failing just as horribly as he had. Instead of rushing to help the boy staid in the shadows watching her. It wasn't until she tumbled to the ground that he chuckled preparing to head out. Her sweet childish voice brought him up short though. He caught something about an egg before he trotted out of the trees. Whinnying warmly he moved into a smooth canter his growing muscles flexing and relaxing as he moved.

Striding up to her he slowed before holding out his gift. If she didn't take it the boy would lay his gift at her dainty hooves. "Hey there sis." His deep happy chuckle sounded warmly as he gazed at her. When did she get that tall? She was eye level with him now, no she couldn't be this tall. He wasn't  ready for her to grow up. "Happy Birthday! I know it isn't much, but i hope you like the lavender." He smiled then the egg caught his sharp attention. "What do you have there?! Areli!" He turned to her with sharp excitement and a twinge of jealousy that he stuffed down quickly. "Areli, I think you've found a companion egg, like Mother has!" He turned back to the egg then to her again.

I L I O S
My heart's an endless winter filled with rage...
image credit

Tags; @Areli
Words; 452
You must be true to your heart..
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_by_cantatus_promise-d8flci6.gif] [Image: mwaCGuX.gif]
Tag me

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

I'M A WHISPER LOST UPON WIND, I'M THE EMBER THAT WILL BURN YOU DOWN
I'M THE WATER THAT'LL DROWN YOU, I'M A STAR THAT'S JUST A BLACK HOLE NOW

The black behemoth has kept the knife Parelia made for him close at hand; he has practiced with it regularly. He is now an expert at using his lips and tongue to twist it around in his mouth, and has chopped down many a tree branch in his quest to master his new tool. When he isn't using the knife, he has his dragon tie it into his mane, but he hopes to fashion a sheathe for it in time so it is more easily accessed. Today the knife is hidden away in the rampant fronds of jet black mane that flow in great cascades down his thick neck, as he wanders the Thistle Meadow in search of fresh grazing.

The leviathan is almost a man grown; his second birthday is just around the corner. He now largely resembles the man he will become, his limbs thick and feathered, his quarters wide and knotted with dense muscle, his neck arched with the power that only testosterone can create. He is all hard lines and sharp masculinity, and his stride is the one of a beast fully comfortable in his own body.

His crimson war-dragon is off hunting, so the young stallion is alone. He prowls around at a steady walk, ripping up chunks of grass to replenish the weight lost during the long winter months. The sound of a thud and crumpling plants draws his attention, and he lifts his colossal head just in time to see the familiar form of Areli tumble into the weeds after an unsuccessful flight. An amused snort flees from the giant's flared nostrils. He remembers how envious he had been of pegasi when he was younger - now, he can't say he would enjoy flight, when he is quite happy having four solid legs firmly on the soil. Still, he approaches her. Her dam had bid him to protect her from threats, and do her own wings count as threats? Either way, he remembers her to be a pretty little thing, and he's curious if she has grown into a delightful young woman for him to fix his hormonal red eyes on.

As he approaches, he sees an egg glimmering in the thorns, and his eyes widen momentarily before his attention is dragged elsewhere. He is not the first one to approach, and he runs his gaze over a colt of a similar age to him, who shares the same traits as Areli - her brother, perhaps? He flicks one ear idly back and brings his colossal form to a halt, flashing the filly a rogueish grin. Indeed, she has got prettier, and the colt's somewhat lecherous gaze roams for a second longer than necessary. "Do your impromptu flying lessons count as you being 'in trouble'?" he questions in his baritone drawl, lifting one rugged eyebrow in amusement as he reminds her of her mother's request. He looks down to the egg - it doesn't look draconic, so he isn't interested in trying to snatch it for himself. He wonders what is inside it. "You're going to want to keep that egg warm and safe," he suggests, remembering wistfully the time he had spent guarding his own bonded's egg.

image credits

@Areli

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

ARELI

Of course, you don’t expect the egg to really answer. You’re used to daydreaming alone, making up silly voices for your slew of inanimate friends. But just as you’re squinting at the speckled shell, sizing it up and wondering how it might reply, it speaks on its own—and in an unexpectedly deep voice. “Hey there, sis,” it rumbles, in a tone that’s vaguely familiar. Finding the nickname (and really, the ability to go speaking out of turn) rather fresh, your head shoots up indignantly…and you come face to face with your brother and an obnoxiously large bouquet of flowers. Graceful as ever, you promptly sneeze in surprise and stare at him wordlessly.

Though you’d swear up and down that you’d recognize Illy anywhere, it takes you a moment to fully understand that it’s him and he’s here. Unexpected appearance aside, something about him has changed, you notice—not just in the muscles that round his shoulders or in the timbre of his voice. No, it’s something in the way he’s standing, you think. He looks…happy. You’d never noticed the sadness in your brother’s eyes before, but seeing him now, it’s impossible to overlook.

Meanwhile, Illy drops the bundle at your hooves. With the rustle of stems against grass, you come rushing back to reality and suddenly find your hooves scrambling for traction against the dewy meadow. ILLY! you scream, as he wishes you happy birthday. “YOU’RE HERE! Clumsily, you launch yourself toward him, aiming to barrel into his wings for a warm embrace. How had he found you?

You’re so excited that for a minute, you forget the egg. It remains to the side, perched on the earth, until your brother spots it. Hanging on his every move, you follow his gaze, watching his eyes widen as the comprehension dawns on his face. ”Areli!” he tells you, “I think you’ve found a companion egg, like Mother has!” At his prediction, your golden ones do the same—reverent for a moment, then you’re talking at a mile a minute again, hopping around him for emphasis. “Really, Illy? How d’ya know? Do you think it’s a bird like Penna? Or maybe it’s like Kiara? OR MAYBE…” The thought of a dragon sends your heart racing, making the glass medallion against your chest shiver with your quickened pulse. Before you can utter the word however, another familiar voice rings out across the meadow. “Do your impromptu flying lessons count as you being in trouble?” Volterra booms, walking toward you.

At the sight of him, you feel as if you could nearly die of happiness. For someone whose shadow and dragon action figure were her only regular companions, the prospect of having not one, but two! playmates materialize in the meadow is incomprehensibly wonderful. “Volterra!” you shriek, now visibly wriggling with joy. You don’t even care that he saw your tumble; annoyed as you had been when Mama had asked him to be your babysitter, he doesn’t seem like the type who’d tell on you—would he? Immediately, you scan the sky for the sign of his dragon…but he is nowhere to be found. “Where’s Veerzays?” you ask, proud of yourself for pronouncing the red reptile’s elegant name. Pleased with yourself, you shoot a sideways look at Illy, wondering if he’ll be impressed with the vocabulary you’ve picked up in his absence.

But the goliath has seen the egg too, and strides over to it, presumably to get a better look. "You're going to want to keep that egg warm and safe," he comments, gazing down at it. Though he is probably not much older than Illy, he seems to worldly and wise. You trot over to the orb again with renewed interest. Could it be? Is whatever’s inside really a companion—your companion? Eyes wide with wonder, dark muzzle reaches down to brush the shell’s surface.

CRRRACK.

The sound is nearly noiseless, but it rings like a gunshot in your head as hairline fissures suddenly mar the smooth curve of the eggshell. Yelping, you leap backwards (hopefully without crashing into the pair of colts), ears lolling sideways in guilt. Instinctively, you have the urge to yell, “Wasn’t me!” but you can’t help but fear…Had you broken it? You hadn’t meant to hurt it! Anxiously, you stare at the egg, willing the cracks back together with all of your heart. Of course, the egg hadn’t played along with you before, and it certainly didn’t intend to do so now. In horror, you can only watch as the dark lines widen and spread. The sound of every crack echoes in your ears, making your heart sink progressively lower and lower with each new noise: you’d definitely broken it. Then…the sound stops. You glance up hopefully, just in time to see the egg gives one defiant shudder, to see the shell fall away, to see the wet little ball of gold tumble out with a disgruntled squeak.

And even though your hooves remain planted in the meadow grass, you feel your heart lurch as it takes flight for the first time.

"speech"

A chuckle rumbled around the lavender flowers as Areli jerked her dainty head up in surprise. Silver eyes sparkled with glee as she sneezed and looked at him in confusion. He hide the sadness growing in his heart as he looked her over. She had grown so much in such a short time. She had filled out, her wings were much larger, ready for flight, and she had shot up. He surveyed her in brotherly way, trying his best to etch every last bit of her features in his mind. She was only a hand shorter than himself and he was sure she would surpass him in height. There was no hiding how beautiful she would turn out to be. She was so much more graceful than himself, leaning more towards Parelia than their father, Ciceron. He dropped the flowers and smiled warmly down at her. He stands proudly before her, bright sparkling eyes glued upon her golden gaze. His heart swelled with pride as he watched her trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. He realized how much he must have changed for her to look so confused. As the thought settled in a sharp jab of lose pierced his young heart. He had done this. He had left her; abandoned her. If he had staid there she would know him, and he would know her.

Laughter bubbles brightly from his chest as she suddenly comes to and starts rushing him. He braces himself and throws his wings wide. She barrels into his side his wings close around her his neck trying to cover her's. "Oh Are, I've missed you so much." His bass voice rolls from him in a whisper. "I love you so much Are." He smiled brightly and pulled his wings back to his side. "Look how much you've grown! Has mother taught you how to fly yet?" He beams down at her proudly his gaze moving to his charm around her neck. Joy rushes throughout his body; she had kept it. Maybe she didn't hate him like he feared. Relief then floods his heart. How could he feel so many emotions just from seeing and talking to his baby sister?

He laughs again as they turn towards the egg. Ears prick trying to catch every word she offers to him. "Slow down Are, or your going to have a heart attack!" Still chuckling he watches her then speaks again, "You never know what's in one until it hatches. It could be anything that our kind can have." He smiles softly down at her, that is, until a deep masculine voice sounds behind him. His ears flick back towards his skull as he wheels eyes searching for the source. If Ilios had been a coward he would have deflated and slunk back from the hulking black and white painted form. Since he wasn't the colt bristled for a moment, until he glanced at Areli. She was ecstatic and even know the stallion's name. He turned back just in time to see him checking Areli out. He puffed up his chest in aggravation at the brash move. Areli was much to young to be chased after in such a way. A snort ruffled his large nostrils.

He turns to Areli as she asks about someone else, or was it a companion? He didn't know and really didn't care. He longed to ask how she knew this brash brute. Grudgingly the young stallion turns toward the other, "I'm Ilios by the way; Areli's big brother." He is careful to put emphasis on the 'big' part. Silver try to meet scarlet attempting to silently tell him to back off of his sister. Satisfied the stud turns to watch Areli touch the egg. He steps forward lowering his horned head to look at it, trying to share her interest and push nasty thoughts of the other away. Then a small crack appears followed by more. "Areli, don't worry, it's hatching." He whispered transfixed on the breaking egg. This was the most magical thing he had ever witnessed. Just as the last crack happened he looked at the smokey blakc and golden girl. The look on her face mesmerized him completely.

I L I O S
image credit

Tags; @Volterra
Words; 702
OOC;
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_by_cantatus_promise-d8flci6.gif] [Image: mwaCGuX.gif]
Tag me

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

Volterra! The titan smirks as the filly bellows his name, internally purring at the fact she remembers him. She even prounounces his dragon's somewhat complex name as well - something few horses manage - as she questions his whereabouts. "Inflicting misery on some unsuspecting rodents. He'll be along soon." Even as he speaks, he feels bloodlust rise in his chest as his bonded's emotions zigzag along their mental tendril and bubble like lava inside him. His loins tighten and his eyes darken as Vérzés' sensations flood him; the dragon finds hunting as arousing as Volterra does. Being bonded to a dragon who is experiencing his teenage months is tricky for the mammoth young stallion. As well as his own high hormones, he has to deal with his mind-partner's, as well.

He hardens his mind, erecting walls to narrow the bond between him and Vérzés down from a rampant river to a delicate stream. Without the interference from his dragon, he can focus more on his current surroundings - and on the way the hybrid stallion puffs himself up like a courting bird, practically swinging his dick around in his eagerness to show Areli is off-limits. Volterra's nose shrivels in disgust, his own ears flickering backwards and his thick neck lifting his massive head high to demonstrate every inch of his size. I'm Ilios, Areli's big brother. The beast's eyebrows lift. "And here was me thinking you were her little brother," he drawls with an idle flick of his tail, lips twisted into a wicked smirk. He has at least two hands on the hybrid, something which pleases him no end. He may lack horns and wings, but the earth itself moves when he walks.

He supposes he can't judge this man for his protectiveness of his sister. If Volterra saw some stranger oggling Nymeria, he'd do exactly the same. But that doesn't stop him from taking Ilios' words as a personal challenge; he idly edges closer to Areli, his gaze becoming that bit more lecherous, just to annoy her brother. She is attractive, and he is a feral young stallion with twice the amount of testosterone flowing through his system; no amount of posturing from her twin will deter the monstrous monolith from his lusting.

The crack of the egg drags him from his brazen admiration of the filly, and towards her new companion. It's small, gold - surely not a golden dragon? - and takes flight immediately. "What is it?" he rumbles questioningly, narrowing his gaze on the creature.

image credits

@Areli

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

ARELI

Though your heart may be soaring, the same can’t be said for the gooey creature that’s writhing less than gracefully at your hooves, mewling in the most pathetic of tones. Bits of eggshell and dirt stick to its wet body, and its fur is the color of sand and stands on end in a random and chaotic fashion, as if it had been ruffled by a giant invisible tongue. It’s a messy scene, but you don’t care. Fascinated, you watch the thing squirm onto its belly and inch toward you as if pulled by some magnetic force. Its eyes are still sealed shut, but slowly it crawls closer, movements jerky but deliberate. Instinctively, you reach down to touch it.

The second that skin touches skin, your world changes forever. It’s an indescribable feeling, but as soon as your muzzle meets fur, you’re suddenly filled with an inexplicable knowledge. For a chaotic instant, your mind seems to be in two places at once, as if a tunnel has shot back into the dark recesses of your brain and connected to something other, something that you know without explanation is this creature. A she-wolf, in fact, a feeling prompts you unbidden. A little female wolf pup is the miracle you’ve watched unfold.

So wrapped up are you in the hatching that you don’t notice any of the testosterone-fueled clash between your brother and your friend. It all goes right over your head—the clipped remarks, the dominant posturing, every lecherous glance that Volterra shoots your way. Even if you had paid the pair of boys any mind, the whole thing still would have meant little to you beyond its value for attention. Only a yearling, you are too young to understand the lust you will one day have the power to arouse in the hearts of stallions. Your lithe body may have grown, but the slender frame is not yet mature enough to support the weight of a lover, much less a life. It will be at least a year before you will understand the large colt’s intentions, and perhaps several more before you will appreciate them. For now, you remain blissfully unaware, shielded from the tension by the innocence of your childhood and the excitement of your companion’s arrival. As the colts size each other up, your focus remains on the tiny life before you. “Hello,”, you breathe over her, brushing your muzzle along the pup’s back, smoothing its flaxen fur. Is she really yours? The new tingle in your heart and mind leaves no room for doubt, but the feeling is so different that it will take some adjustment.

“What is it?” the towering black colt inquires, finally interrupting your distracted silence. “A wolf!” you reply incredulously, nosing the squirming body. “Just like…” you realize, widening your eyes at Ilios. Wordlessly, you dip your chin to the glass pendant he once gave you, where a similar golden wolf dances. Whoa, you murmur, golden eyes blazing like stars in your dark face.

"speech"

@Ilios

Silver eyes watch the hulking stud cautiously as he spoke. 'He must be talking about a companion of some sort if it's after rodents.' He thought quietly eyes never leaving the stallion. He grumbles slightly as he quietly watches. Areli seems over joyed at his presence, but that was just Are. Ilios hadn't ever seen her around someone she disliked, or didn't trust. The boy would have to have a talk with her soon about how males really worked, or get Mother too. He sighed heavily and turned to look at Are as she eyed the egg curiously. Then the black and white male speaks to him in a snarky voice. Golden ears flatten  and his long black and white tipped tail lashes back and forth.

His large horned head whips around to face him anger flashing over his face for a moment. Then the comment sinks in; to his surprise a laugh bellows from his mouth. Once the laughter subsides he speaks with a chuckle lightening his deep drawl, "One day I might be if she keeps growing." The boy steps closer and whispers still chuckling, "Just do me a favor and not hit on her while I'm here." Shaking his head he turns his anger forgotten. Being a teenager sucks dick, with all the mood swings, awkwardness, and lust it was a bitch. Silver eyes find his sister touching the egg.

A line appears on the shell, followed by several more until it all breaks apart. His bright gaze finds the sodden golden pup. He watches silently allowing Areli time to greet her companion; her soul. "Areli, you must like it dry or it'll get cold." He breaths after a few moment his head dropping closer. He wonders the same as the black colt and waits sure Are will know the answer. Joy and relief wash through him at her answer; a wolf to take care of his sweet naive sister. He stands proudly watching her as she figures it out. Her nose drops to touch the trinket he had given her. "Yes Are, a wolf that will always care and love you, just as I do." He grins warmly down at the pup offering his muzzle for a second before drawing in the creature's scent locking it away. He glances for a moment towards the larger colt wondering what he thought of all this.

I L I O S
image credit

Tags; @Areli @Volterra
Words; 397
OOC; Horrible and late, I'm so sorry =/
Tag me

At the anger flashing over the other colt's face, Volterra feels a soar of delight at the prospect of a fight - however, the rage quickly gives way to a laugh, and the mammoth's eyebrow twitches curiously. His posturing of a few seconds earlier has disappeared, and he seems quite on board with the flirting, as long as it's not performed in front of him. The yearling snorts, but makes no further comment. It will be a good while before the attractive filly can truly appreciate the fire she arouses in his heart, anyway.

Her attention seems fully focused on her new companion - a wolf, it appears. Vaguely, a memory from his childhood, Volterra remembers another mare with a wolf, a cowardly one who hid between her legs whilst the great red dragon soared above. He does, however, appreciate that wolves are creatures to be respected, creatures who hunt in packs and who have often stalked him from the undergrowth like thieves in the night. The awe on the filly's face and the way she hungers to touch the new fur of her companion reminds the giant of when his own bonded hatched, and all he wanted to do was caress the glimmering crimson scales.

Areli notices that the wolf bears resemblance to a pendant she bears, and the coincidence of that is rather impressive. "She will need meat," he advises. Ilios suggests drying it, but in Volterra's eyes food is more important than comfort. When his dragon was born, he had weeks to prepare, and killed numerous small game to ensure his newborn companion would have a full stomach. Somehow, he thinks Areli might not take too kindly to the idea of wanton slaughter. "You may have to hunt for her, as her instinct to kill will probably not be developed yet." His dragon's kill-instinct had developed almost right away, but he is mythical; a wolf is not. He fixes his sharp gaze on the filly. If she is capable of rising to the gruesome challenge, she will rise further in his estimations - and no doubt in his fledgling-stallion sordid thoughts, as well.

image credits

@Areli