the Rift

our solemn hour

Evaneska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

A PORCELAIN SOUL SHATTERED LEAVING NAUGHT BUT PIECES TO SPLINTER OFF ONTO THE MUDDIED GROUND. KNEES BUCKLED AS THE HOLLOW HUSK OF THE BATTERED MARE CRASHED AGAINST THE EARTH. ROUND AND ROUND THE WORLD SPUN, THE DISMAL COLORS OF THE FLATS THREATENING TO OVERWHELM THE BROKEN SPIRIT. EYELIDS FLUTTERED CLOSED, CONCEALING LIGHT BLUE EYES FROM THE WORLD. THE RIFT SHOWED NO MERCY. MALICIOUS GIGGLES ECHOED THROUGH THE AREA, RELISHING IN THE BLOOD THE TEAL DAPPLED FEMALE SPILLED.

BITTER MUD CAKED HER SIDES AS GREY WATER GREEDILY NIPPED AT HER WITH ITS FROSTY BITES. SHE REMAINED STILL WITH THE RISE AND FALL OF HER CHEST THE ONLY SIGNAL THAT SHE WAS STILL ALIVE. EXHAUSTION WEIGHED DOWN HER LIMBS. HER LEGS WOULD CARRY HER NO FARTHER. HOW FAR HAD SHE RUN? HOW LONG? THROUGH HER CLOSED EYES SHE COULD SEE HIM, HEAR HIM SHOUT, "GET OUT OF HERE!" THE CARNAGE AROUND HER SWEPT HER IN A WAVE THAT STUNK OF DEATH. BY NO MEANS DID SHE LEAVE UNSCATHED, BUT SHE HAD BEEN ABLE TO OUTRUN DEATH IN HIS OWN DOMAIN.

"BUT WHAT GOOD DID THAT DO?" SHE SNEERED TO HERSELF. INSTINCTS HAD MADE HER A SURVIVOR OVER AND OVER YET HER WILL TO CARRY ON WAS ON AN INCREDIBLY THIN STRING NOW. ONCE AGAIN SHE FOUND HERSELF ALONE. THE RIFT MOCKED HER VERY EXISTENCE. IT WAS HER DESTINY, HER FATE, TO ALWAYS END UP ALONE. PERHAPS A CURSE BROUGHT ON BY THE MAD GOD WHO CREATED HER A JAIL IN THE FORM OF A SANCTUARY. SHE COULD HEAR HIS RAGE AS FRESH AS IT WAS THAT DAY. IF ONLY SHE HADN'T ASKED FOR HER FREEDOM, IF ONLY SHE STAYED IN HER SAFE LITTLE DOLLHOUSE. BUT INSTEAD SHE HAD TO BE SELFISH.

EYES HAD LONG SINCE DRIED UP, INCAPABLE OF STAINING HER CHEEKS ANYMORE WITH RIVERS OF TEARS. ALL SHE COULD DO WAS LAY IN MISERY. SUCCUMB TO THE DARKNESS AND BE FREE - THE IDEA SOUNDED SO WONDERFUL. THE SWEET TEMPTATIONS ENTICED THE MARE BUT AT THE SAME TIME SHE HEARD HIS WORDS OF COMPASSION. THE FIRST HORSE TO HAVE EVER SPOKEN SUCH KIND, GENUINE WORDS TO HER..

"But of what use is hope in these ill lands sick with despair?"

Persephone Posts: 45
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
Alecto :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams ChaoticMelodies
Persephone
Everything in my body quailed when I opened my eyes and saw where I stumbled across. What abomination was this? What devilish land had I found myself in? Perhaps, as my mother had warned me, I had be cast into the underworld as punishment for my sins. Had I not been faithful enough? Had I not done everything that I could with the curse that had been given me, shut away so that I might bring harm to others.

It had not been enough.

My golden eyes were wide, rimmed with white as I cast about looking at this place. In the morning light, it was worse than I had expected last night. The entire world had become sick, but that was too easy of an explanation - too much to hope. This was the underworld, where I would be judged for my sins. I hadn’t meant to have the magic that I did, did not mean to participate in my father’s idea of justice in the name of the king and the gods. But what could I do but what they had asked? Surely it had been holy work, the fact that it had left a pit in my stomach was a flaw on me, not on them.

And now! Now I was here. I could not remember if this was the place where my mother said she would find me, I didn’t know any of the lands outside of my home because I had never left. Could this sick, twisted flat area be something from my world? Which used to be bright and filled with flowers always.

My legs had stopped furiously pounding on the earth but my heart still raced as I looked around, still moving slowly along because I did not know what to do. It was quite by accident that I noticed what I fully thought was a body, a corpsed. It lay ahead of me - disgust and fear washing over me in an instant when I spotted it. But, no, the sides were moving. It was alive. Was it a friend? Or a demon? I don’t know where I found the courage to move closer, moving around so I could see the face. Perhaps my legs were just going through the motions at this point, so used were they to moving. “Excuse me.” My voice was little more than a squeak, high and soft and, like me, unfit for this hell. “Are… are… you alright?” I don’t really want it to speak in response, I want to move on and get away from the disgusting looking creature in case it was a demon, or something worse, but my legs finally stop and I am standing there in the murky atmosphere, trying not to cringe away or wrinkle my nose at the smell.  
lost in hell, my dear, but it's not so dreadful here
Image Credit

@Evaneska FINALLY HAPPENED

Unregistered

In my darkest hours their words.. my words.. everyone's words echoed through my head. I wanted to scream. Shut up, shut up, shut up! Please! Let me be in piece. Leave me alone.. I can't do this anymore.

"You ungrateful brat!" No.. I wasn't trying to.. I just wanted to..

"You! You did this to us!" Please.. I didn't mean it.. I'm sorry.

"Weak! Pathetic! Stupid! Pitiful!" Their chants overwhelmed me. Again and again they berated me, tore me down. Within their voices I could hear my own: a piece of me who was even disgusted with my presence. An enemy to my own mind - Hah. I truly was a reject. I didn't belong anywhere. Even my own thoughts recognized this. I wanted to laugh at this yet cry at the same time.

A penny for my thoughts? No, no one would care to delve into my mind. Simply peering into my eyes was enough to see the amount I was worth.

Another voice. Am I alright? Of course not. What a silly question. It took a moment to recognize that this was a voice coming from the outside. Oh gods.. Shame and embarrassment made me want to shove my head into the sand coffin I was already buried in.

"O-Oh. I'm alright." A bitter smile that didn't reach my eyes attempted to mask my sorry features. It was easy to see how bruised I was on the outside, but I did not wish to spill out how broken I was on the inside. Especially to a mare so beautiful. Jealousy nipped at my chest.

"I have simply pushed myself too far passed my limits. I come from a land that was ravaged by war.." The screams.. the blood. All of the blood.. I could still smell and taste the metallic of the bright red liquid. "My name is Evaneska. I apologize if I have disturbed you."

Surely this mare was a princess. In this case I was the mere servant that showed be bowing at her hooves. However I forced myself up. Pain rushed through my entire body at the motions. I nearly fell back down, my knees buckling and crying out in distress. Somehow I managed to stay upright despite my weary muscles. My head dipped: whether in greeting or apologize even I didn't know.

@Persephone
ooc;// agh my thoughts are scattered and i'm not feeling the best BUT i'm sorry happy you replied i wanted to get something out for you. i should have waited to post i'm so sorry

Persephone Posts: 45
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
Alecto :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams ChaoticMelodies
Persephone
The bitterness that radiated from from the mare in response to my question went over my head, I did not notice it - only felt relief that this dappled creature was alright. Wonderful! I did not know what I would have done if she responded with some sort of ailment that I would not have been able to fix. I did not heal things, that was not my curse. My coat, quiet until now, flickered with a low pulse of light before subsiding once more. Somewhere in this forsaken land, there were still lives being created.

The mare went on to explain that she had pushed herself for far too long. So… she wasn’t fine? This was all very confusing and I had only just begun this conversation. I didn’t want to touch her, most of my body was screaming at me to get away from this wretched looking thing, but I also felt a great swell of pity in me. Shouldn’t it be in me to care for others, to want to help them? There was a hesitation that made my cheeks burn before I moved a little closer, ready to help steady her if she should look like she was going to fall again.

“Ours too.” I whisper to her, finally responding to her words now that I’ve recovered my composure. I don’t want to think about that though, don’t want to think about where my parents might be, and I am sure that it is the same for her. How many other lands and homes had been destroyed?

“You did not disturb me at all, Evaneska. It is a pleasure to meet you.” This, this is what I know. The pleasantries and manners that had been drilled into me since I was a filly. I give a little bow, not a full one - for I did not know her status - but my head reclines regally to her while I keep watch for any sign that her legs might give out again. “My name is Cora.” My alias, protecting my identity, is my first nature now. I don’t even flinch - for that name is more of who I am than the one I was given at birth.

“Do you think we’re safe here?” After the introductions, my voice is soft again - frightened. She did not attack me when she first stood so I have deemed her a friend. I will trust whatever she says.

lost in hell, my dear. It's not so dreadful here
Image Credit

@Evaneska

Unregistered

"Ours too." A monstrous beast that ravaged the lands. The Rift was never satiated by the lives it consumed nor quenched by the blood it drank. Everywhere you looked there was chaos and ruin. Death caused the realm the reek as disease left nothing untouched. The lands cried out in malnourished desperation while the Riftians bellowed in need of life sustaining substances. Whether mentally or physically no equines went untouched by the illness of the lands. Somewhere the malicious gods were watching the suffering of the very realm they governed with glee dancing in their eyes.

A shiver ran along my spine, chilling me to the bones. Death's hands reached throughout the entirety of the lands. This mare, a beautiful princess that was a stark contrast to my ashen form, was touched by the same carnage that brought Urd crumbling down. My stomach dropped and my heart sunk at this realization. What little hope I had was beginning to flicker away. I didn't bother to try to bottle it up, to protect my faith. Instead the grim reality that this world had no reprieve to offer struck my heart.

"The pleasure is mine." The smile I offered was nothing but bleak. Such a sorry attempt that I immediately dropped it. Instinctively I dipped my head once again but this time much lower. Compared to hers it was deep in a show of submission. My social status was recognizable just by our appearances. She was a white coat while I a speck of debris who would only dirty her if I got too close.

Cora was a name befitting of such a refined elegance. It rolled off the tongue with ease. “Do you think we’re safe here?” The fright in her tone, interrupting her smooth cadence, was undeniable. I looked at her - truly looked at her. Taking our surroundings into account, I slowly shook my head. "No.. I do not believe we are safe."

I knew this was not what the mare would want to hear but I could not bring myself to lie with sugar coated words. Rose colored glasses had long since broken and left my eyes exposed to the horrors of the Rift. "As long as we are in this world governed by mad gods whom let the lands suffer and die.. we will never be safe."

I sighed. "I wish I could speak words of encouragement - words that shine through the darkness with faith - but that is not something I am capable of. I cannot lie to you, m'lady." I looked away as I could not bare to bring myself to look at the frightened mare. "As long as we are here we must be wary of what might be lurking in the shadows, constantly checking over our shoulders."

Even now as I spoke I found myself nervously glancing about as if my words might bring forth a curse that would extinguish the fire that fueled our lives. In that moment I felt the weight of my exhaustion even more than before.

@Persephone