the Rift

[OPEN] Whatever Comes Now

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

It is just the smallest, faintest rounding of the flank. Knox had noticed it that morning upon waking--had lifted his head and brushed his nose against the subtle change in Aylin's figure.

For a time, he had panicked. It wasn't as if he hadn't expected it, it wasn't as if he hadn't hoped for it, but to see it was proof. It was real. Aylin was pregnant, with his child. He was going to be a father.

And though he had spent some long hours before the sunset with his breath caught and his heart beating fast, he has now settled into calm. He feels older, and wiser, and he is wrapped about in a shimmering, warm responsibility.

Aylin had risen not long after, and the pair had decided upon something Knox had struggled with on his own: they needed a home. If not for them, then for the child they soon would have.

The child.

Still, Knox is giddy at the thought. They have travelled like lovers across Helovia and to the border of the Hidden Falls, the last place he had expected himself to ever return, and he still cannot shake the joy. At the border, he had considered cloaking himself in some other form, but the voices of his ancestors were scattered and unfocused. Knox was in control, then, and he still is. He is the keeper of this body, and the love burning inside it.

And Manhattan, she is not to be forgotten. She has trailed behind, a vigilant guard, silent in their bond and serving as a shadow. She is unnoticed, she fades from importance in the light of their joy. She is a darker side of Knox that he forgets and pulls away from as he draws nearer to the prospect of the foal he'll soon need to care for.

She would consider leaving, if she could--leaving them in their happiness, in which she does not feel she belongs. But the bond keeps her at Knox's side, and she has lost him too many times to ever willingly give him up.

Now, Knox is standing proudly at the border. His bold blue eyes are seeking out the emotion always seeping from Aylin's, his heart is surging with preemptive pride. How foolish he was to doubt himself. His dark hooves are planted firmly, his long tail slowly untangling as birdsong winds tease out the mess cold frostfall made of his figure. His bridle hugs his features: he is bold. And Knox is filled, too, with an anxious excitement, and a bitter taste at the thought of seeing Archibald. Surely, his elder brother must still be in these remnants of hills... even the falls can not wash away Archibald's loyalty.

Though the hunter is unsure as to whether or not he can truly forgive his brother, he must. For the sake of this life he has created, he knows he needs a home. And the Hidden Falls, they are all that he knows, now. He had nothing else but the shadow of The Grey's passage.

It is fitting, he thinks, that he returns to this land and the both of them are so utterly changed.

KNOX and manhattan</style>
you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>
image by D.R.F @ flickr.com

[[@Aylin and whomever, no order in mind. The new family is seeking acceptance!]]

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
 aylin

live your life just like a dream without the pain of goodbyes

You are not yet aware of the change in your figure because you are not yet large enough to notice it. Had you still had your eyesight you would be able to see how your flank was rounding even if it was so subtle that only those who truly knew your appearance would be able to tell. You would see the excitement in Knox's eyes and you probably would be able to share that excitement more wholeheartedly, but you are reserved. Knox brushes his nose against your side and you turn your head toward him, your ears forward and listening should he decide to speak and he does.

You agree with Knox that your growing family should not be confined to life in caves. There is a part of you, however, that thinks that maybe Knox is counting his chickens before they hatch. But, again, you cannot see the change in your body and you cannot yet feel it. There is little more that you do besides trust Knox, and you do. He suggests the Falls and you question him because you do not remember there being a Hidden Falls before you left. You remember only the Windtossed Foothills, the place that you grew up in with your brother. The place that you frolicked in the waterfall with Mirage's brothers, Madyrn and Maskan.

Knox guides you from the caves where you spent Frostfall and you remain silent as the two of you make the trek. Your mind wanders as you walk and even though you thought back in the caves that Knox might be acting prematurely you can't help but wonder about whether or not you have a life growing inside of you. You wonder, if you do, if it will be a colt or a filly, what it'll look like then a pang of sadness cuts into your heart as you realize that you will only ever see the blurry image of your child.

The Hidden Falls looms before you and Knox and when he stops you stop beside him, touch your muzzle to his neck. "What does it look like?"

"."

Credits

@Knox @Archibald

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
  archibald
   the dauntless

Loretta stirred, slowly and silently, and amber eyes met gold.

Go.

The two moved with impressive grace, two imposing forces heading towards their disturbed borders. Dark ears pressed forward on the massive, intimidating head of the Czar as his nostrils flared. Inside of his chest, his dull heart skipped a beat with a sudden disbelieved realization. Is it him? chimed in his mind, a smaller, feminine voice. Suddenly, the pair slowed and moved through the bramble. Nostrils flared once more as Archibald the Dauntless stepped into the clearing before his once-dead (or believed to be dead) brother, and an unknown mare. Wisened eyes moved skillfully over the pair, and the familiar curve of a pregnant belly did not go unnoticed. The Dauntless king stood before his smaller brother still and unmoveable, a mountain standing before a flowing current. Loretta's amber eyes darted around for the strange colt's shadow, a small yearning in the back of her mind for her younger sister. The bitch wanted to call the black forward, but Archibald silenced her with a stone wall.

"Knox." The massive stallion spoke with a voice as deep as the roots of the oaks, the breadth of his power and authority nearly shaking the trees surrounding them. Beneath his black hide, shedding in the Birdsong sunlight, his muscles were tight and ready--for anything. He could barely believe the sight before him, but his eyes and face remained impassive, stoic--nearly cold. His brother, the strange colt believed to be lost or dead as the other brothers found themselves, stood before him with a seed sown in the womb of an unknown mare. How could this be? "And you?" Archibald asked, molten eyes moving to the pretty female standing with the dark colt. Loretta, standing on Archibald's left, lowered her head finally and let loose a small, nearly inaudible belly-growl.

[My first post in three months -- don't judge me!]
i-mi

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Jen

Were Manhattan ever in a position to consider her master's new mate objectively and without the skepticisim that floated in jealousy's wake, she would have agreed with Aylin.

Knox is indeed counting his chickens before they hatch, and one in particular. He is counting on the fact that having a child, one that he senses will be a filly, will bring to him a sort of calm collectedness that he has lacked in the wake of his mother's death. But this time, it will be one informed of emotion. He is banking on that.

Even as he watches Archibald break through the underbrush, his companion in tow, he counts on this gentility that will come in time. He cannot rely on the present or even the slightest bit on the past: all he can know is that soon, he will be a father. Soon, he will have to face maturity.

Knox has no time to answer Aylin, and though he regrets this he knows too that he will tell her of the land when they are a part of it, at night beside the crashing of one of these unfamiliar falls. It is odd for Knox to see the land so changed, but he cannot think of that now.

"Archibald," he answers stiffly. He steps sideways, closer to Aylin, seeking the reassurance of her touch. If the potential truth of parenthood can't calm his anger, she can. "This is Aylin. We'd like to join the Footh- Falls."

Knox can tell that his brother is still the king, here. He doesn't need any further proof than the way Archibald holds himself. And though it is true the Dauntless almost always carries such pride between his dark ears, Knox can tell the difference. He has lived under his brother's rule long enough. He is almost ashamed to submit himself to it again, even if it is for the greater good and safety of the future.

Loretta's hostility does not go unnoticed, but Knox nips the sure-to-come conflict in the bud.

No, is all he needs to command for Manhattan to look away from her sister in silence. He jaws fill with poison, perhaps, but the teeth are clamped too tightly together for any to drip from between them. She will behave, if only for her master's sake.

Besides, Manhattan is not in the mood for Loretta's old shows of dominance. She has travelled into dangerous lands with her master and seen far worse battles than the malamute, even if her sister doesn't know it.

you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>

@Aylin
@Archibald
All else are welcome to join!

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
 aylin

live your life just like a dream without the pain of goodbyes

Knox doesn't even have time to answer your question. You can hear them as they approach you and Knox, but your eyes offer you little more than the blurred green of what you can only assume is grass and trees. It is not until they are standing right in front of you that you can see the black and white blur of the massive stallion. He speaks Knox's name and you wonder idly if this stallion that knows your lover is his brother or someone he called a friend. He then questions you and you open your mouth, prepared to speak your name but Knox beats you to it. The stiffness of his voice causes you some concern so you touch your muzzle to his shoulder in a manner meant to soothe him. The last thing you want is for Knox to lose his temper and for the pair of you to be run out of the Falls and left homeless.

"I'm Aylin." You say to Archibald even though Knox has already spoken your name. "I lived here with my parents and my brother when it was called the Foothills." You say, unable to hide the wistful tone of your voice. You wonder just how different the landscape is from what you remember and if anyone you knew from your childhood still calls this place home. "What happened? Why do you call it the Falls now?" You ask because you are too curious not to. Have the other lands changed names, you wonder. What happened while you were gone?

"."

Credits

@Knox @Archibald

archibald
   the dauntless

It is small and simple, unnoticed by any who do not know the Dauntless and his bitch. However, the motion is still there. Archibald's midnight black tail gave a simple flick and the growl emitted from the depths of Loretta's belly silenced, ears rotating to lay disgruntled on her skull. She's been gone. When a pack member leaves and returns, they must be punished. She needs to understand. Loretta tried to explain to her bonded, her mental voice cold and harsh. The draft mutt ignored her, however, his thoughts too consumed with the fact that his brother was standing here, a phantom that still breathed and had a beating heart. Molten gold eyes, guarded stone still from emotions, watched the dark colt carefully. Archibald could feel the tension rising in the space between him and his brother, and their companions, and so he focused on Aylin's question.

Faint memories of the filly filled the back of his head. Her mother, however, was who Archibald really knew. The brilliant chestnut filled his mind, and green eyes filled with scorn and hatred blurred as he cleared his throat. "Helovia got sick several seasons ago. The whole of us--herds and outcasts alike--were forced underground by darkness and those infected, called Wraiths. Many of us were immune, myself included, and we battled against the sickness. When, finally, it was eradicated and we emerged from our underground shelter the gods chose new herd leaders from those that volunteered. The Windtossed Foothills was no more. The God of the Earth shifted these lands to help cleanse them. The Hidden Falls became the new name, to match the purifying waterfalls that dot the territory." Archibald gave a single nod of his head, eyes on Aylin's--the same eyes as her mother. 

Turning his eyes back to Knox, Archibald spoke once more. "You may stay. All herd members are expected to pull their own weight, as we all serve each other." The Dauntless turned his body some, motioning with his shoulder for the pair to follow them. The king would show the newcomers his kingdom.

i-mi

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Jen

Knox is thankful that Aylin asks the questions he is unable to. His jaw is set too stiff, his mind too tense, to even consider asking about the Falls. All he knows is they are different. He came home, he saw it was changed, and he accepted it with stoic unquestioning. But now that Aylin has asked, now that Archibald will answer, he can learn what he once didn't care to know.

He is thankful, for her.

His long tail, nothing but a dark mass of curls, whips behind him when Archibald tells him to pull his own weight. What kind of weight does Archibald the Dauntless pull, other than his own fat ass?

Manhattan cackles wildly in their bond; her mouth falls open and her tongue lolls. Knox smiles, and presses his nose to Aylin's cheek. Yes, perhaps it will be good to be home again. Maybe something like a family can reform, in Mandrake's ugly and poisonous wake.

Vaguely, outwardly disinterested as he tries to hide his extreme curiousity, he turns back to his brother. "And my old mantle, then, is it taken up? Perhaps I could return to it, otherwise," he offers as if it is only a musing trifle of a thought.

But he knows, somewhere darker, that it is much more important to him than that. Doesn't he need that old habit, to get by? Isn't it what he knows how to do best? He knows he would fit well in no other role, and he feels ambition rising, too.

Could he really handle the shame of returning to his old home as nothing but a pawn?

@Aylin
@Archibald

archibald
   the dauntless

Archibald moved slowly enough to ensure that the mare with the growing belly could keep pace with them. He was careful to move through the most used paths of the labyrinth of a home before him, so the two could be accustomed to the trails they would soon call their own. The Dauntless had many questions for the brother that followed him, but in time he would get the answers. The only thing that mattered now was that the stallion was not dead. Little did Archibald know Knox was not harbouring the same relief.

"No, there is not a sleuth. Should you see fit, I will grant you your title back. As you know, in return, I expect your loyalty to this herd and this herd alone." Archibald kept his eyes forward, but his tone was serious. Were it every anything but? At times, but not at times like this. His brothers were deserters, prone to running away from the hard knock life. Archibald had little expectation that this life would grant Knox's hooves the mind to stay, but he would give the broken colt a chance. If Knox did stay, and stayed true to the duties of this herd, then the Falls would be lucky to have someone of his skill. The Dauntless would never forget his brother's past within the Grey.

"This spot should be comfortable and safe for foaling." Archibald said, breaking his silence as he stopped before a small pool that several trickling waterfalls fed. Stopping, the massive stallion turned to look at the silver filly. When his golden eyes met her face, he saw the face of her mother. "How far off do you predict your delivery to be? I will make sure a healer is near."

Archibald knew what the loss of a child could do to parental hearts, and he would not wish it upon anyone.

i-mi

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Jen

"No, there is no sleuth," his brother answers by way of reply, somehow losing even more respect in his brother's gaze. No sleuth? Not even some figurehead to pretend they were intelligent and ward off thieves?

What kind of kingdom is the czar running, then? Clearly there must be someone else keeping him in line and keeping this place from falling to the wolves. Knox doesn't trust his brother to do much anymore, he only trusts himself to lie and pretend he'll respect him, anyway.

Knox cannot help himself in missing the days of The Grey. Maybe Ktulu was still here, maybe someone with a bit more clout than his big-headed, small brained brother. Really, it was likely his brain was more battered from the last time, what with all that jostling that had been sure to happen over the years.

Manhattan yawns lazily, as if the sight of her old homeland now changed and her old pack member so unchanged means nothing. Perhaps she is disappointed—were Knox paying her any sort of mind at the moment, he might have noticed.

"I think you'll find my loyalty unfaltering, brother," he said with a flash towards Aylin's bright eyes. "I'll take back the shadow's crown, I can't imagine I'd fit anywhere else."

Not with my mind so overtaken and my reflexes so slowed—not with all the fight out of me.
Yuh must rummber yur talunts, sun.

Knox snorts, absently at first to dismiss his ancient father's optimism and then actively, with his face directed towards Archibald's. "Aylin is not your concern, Arch," Knox says with the faintest hiss as he reduces his brother's name to one meaningless syllable. It is only Manhattan that calms him enough so he does not wreck everything with his second reply. """I can care for my own. You need be nothing more than her Czar, please respect that."

What is that, jealousy or defense? Or maybe the horrible guilt that she is his burden only to bear, that her pain and her condition is his fault, his doing, his wrong and perhaps distantly his seed. He has to face that alone—if not, how will he ever be absolved?

""

@Aylin
@Archibald

archibald
   the dauntless

Archibald listened to his brother speak of unfaltering loyalty. Loretta scoffed harshly across their bond. Unfaltering loyalty my ass. He would not have disappeared otherwise. The cur wanted to snarl her disapproval loud enough for the blackened brother to hear, but she resisted. Her sister was home, and right now, she needed only focus on that. With red ears flicking atop her blocky head, Loretta nipped at Manhattan's neck playfully. Turning on her heels, the malamute bound into the depths of the land. Her posture, the beckoning bark, and the glint in her amber eyes told the only story she wanted to convey: let us hunt, a pack once more. Loretta yipped, the excitement of the flat coated retriever at her side once more overwhelming the negativity she felt towards her sister's bondmate.

It was not untrue that Archibald's thoughts reflected Loretta's. Part of him was glad to see his brother, alive and bringing new life to this world, but an equal part of him was disappointed in the strange colt. Within his breast, Archibald wanted to pound his brother into the ground all while asking why he had left. Knox disappeared like smoke when Archibald had needed a family at his side, at his hip as he roared into war and raised his sons. When he lost Circe. Sighing, Archibald went to nod his head and send himself on his way to finish his patrols, but his brother's words cut him. Like igniting a fire, golden eyes flared and the Dauntless rolled his head and snapped his gaze to bear down on the smaller brother. "Silence your tongue. You petty jealousy has no room here. Make it known to you that everything I do is for the best interest and protection of the members of my herd. I have seen foals die in the harshness of this world, and I have raised my fair share more than you." Archibald nearly stood close enough to bite his brother's face as he growled at him, but with his words said, he turned. Steel-shod hooves clacked against rocks as he moved. "Should you need me, I will be finishing my patrol."

[My first post in three months -- don't judge me!]
i-mi

[Archi out.]

Through the ages of time

please tag me