Mordecai Posts: 77
Aurora Basin Mare atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 3 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

from the dusty mesa her looming shadow grows
hidden in the branches of the poison creosote

Flying?

Hah. Yeah, right.

There was no way on Sunny's warm sands that the girl was going fly. No. It just wasn't going to happen. Mordecai was perfectly happy with her cloven hooves planted firmly on the ground and her wings folded against her sides as they should be. Who cared if everyone else that had wings flew around? Didn't mean that she had to.

If the girl was anything at all it was stubborn. Once she made up her mind about anything it was nearly impossible to change it. If she decided she hated something she would hate it, if she wanted something she'd figure out a way to get it. So the fact that she'd made up her mind that she would not be flying ever meant that her mother would have her work cut out for her in the way of changing the filly's mind. It seemed her mother was just as stubborn as she was, though, given the fact that the girl had heard her mother state that she would teach her to fly, that her lessons would begin the next morning when the sun had risen.

It seemed pretending to sleep had its advantages.

Mordecai woke early the next morning before the sun even broke over the horizon and she snuck away from her sleeping dam and made a break for the border. Her intention was to slip across on the heels of someone with a key, to disappear for the day then come back when the sun was setting because she knew that her mother wouldn't try to teach her to fly in the dark. At least she hoped she wouldn't. If she tried to, Mordecai decided, she would just pretend to be exhausted and collapse and pretend to sleep again. Surely Mai wouldn't try to teach her if she were that tired. With her plan all set in her head she waited impatiently at the border.

"."

ooc:// 
translation:
Mai - mother

background by: http://sirius-sdz.deviantart.com | drawing by tribby and time | table for ali's use only

@Megaera
the emptiness that we confess in the dimmest hour of day
in Automatown they make a sound like the low sad moan of prey

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

and the water is risin' quick
and for years I was scared of it
we can't be sure when it will subside
so I won't leave your side, no I can't leave your side

As many frustrations as Megaera encountered in her duties as Sultana, none could compare to the trials of being Mordecai’s mother. It was the Sun’s Truth that she had never loved anyone more than she loved her daughter but that did not mean that the girl didn’t have a natural talent for being an outstanding pain in the ass. One might think that being a believer in nurture over nature, Meg would be willing to take at least some credit for her daughter’s stubborn streak but the Sultana placed that blame solely on Einarr…and don’t even get me started on that bastard.

With the sun on the rise to her right, Megaera soared through the cool morning air with a blazing determination. She flew low, following the trail in the flowering desert that led from their normal nighttime roost in the oasis to the Sun God’s Bridge. Of course she went to the bridge… Living on and island certainly had the benefit of helping to wrangle a wayward filly, and Meg hoped that it was early enough that no one would be hanging around. Normally the Sultana so enjoyed spending her mornings with Mordecai before giving her afternoons to the herd but lately the girl had been avoiding Meg like the plague. Meg loved to fly, it was speed and strength and freedom and she simply could not understand when Mordecai seemed so dead set against learning.

She finally spied Mordecai waiting at the boarder grinned in satisfaction. Not a key holder in sight save the Sultana. Perfect. She shifted her wings and spread them wide to slow herself and touched onto the beach in skilled canter. “Have plans for the day, do you?” she asked as she approached the black filly, her smile wide. 

Haha, caught ya!

She slowed, giving Mordecai’s white tail and playful tug and stopping to stand shoulder-to-shoulder. “Gee, sure would be useful to have a way to get across attached to your back, eh?”
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

ali

Mordecai stood waiting as patiently as she possibly could for some asshole that had a key to wander by on their way across. She paced and kicked at the sand, growled to herself in the language that her father had taught her before he disappeared and left her with the crazy woman that wanted to force her to fly. No one even came by where she stood waiting, well.. no one except for her crazy mother.

"Graddakh!" the girl cursed quietly as the Sultana descended and landed upon the sand and asked if she had plans. "Yes." She said, not bothering to hide her sour mood from the keen eyes and ears of her mother. "Many plans. Many many..." She lied easily enough because it wasn't like she hadn't done it before. Whether or not her mother believed her lies was solely on her.

The tug on her tail made the young girl's ears fall back against her head and she snorted, her eyes rolling as she teased her about not being able to get across. Fuck that! she thought vehemently. "Swim." She damn near growled the word at Megaera and just to show her mother that she meant business she practically dove into the water. She knew how to swim and had gone swimming in the oasis on some of Tallsun's hottest days, so swimming in the ocean couldn't be that much different.

Mordecai had only gone a few feet when she turned to look back at her mother, her smug expression screaming I don't need to fly! I don't need wings!

"."

translation:
graddakh - shit

background by: http://sirius-sdz.deviantart.com | drawing by tribby and time | table for ali's use only

@Megaera

Megaera hadn’t really expected much of an answer, of course Mordecai’s plans had been to stay as far away from her as possible for the duration of the day. The filly’s many plans though weren’t really the issue here, Meg knew, but for the life of her she couldn’t figure out what the issue was. “You’re absolutely right, Nhizi Anni, you do have plans… My plans, and not a single one of them involves leaving the Throat today.” With growing concern, the mare eyed her daughter. The teasing had been and attempt to lighten the girl’s sour mood. Mordecai had always been stubborn, but even when they disagreed they had always been able to laugh together. But now her little raven was angry, and Meg knew damn well that she hadn’t done a damn thing.

It was the girl’s growling retort that started the pull on her mother’s temper. Swim?! did she realize how far the shores of the Heart were? Someone like Einarr or Gaucho might make it with a week or rest beforehand but Meg knew Mordecai would drown in the attempt. When her daughter started forward into the shallows, the little jolt of fear at that thought made Meg all the fiercer. She glared back at her smug expression, ears flat and eyes narrowed, and marched in after her.

“Sorohis! You’re not stupid enough to try it so get back on that beach and prepare for a lesson. Yer eth nesolat!” It was out with the casual jokes and in with the stern “mom voice”. Splashing all the way, she rounded her daughter’s front and used her scarred shoulder to give the girl a push back in the direction of the beach.

translations:
nhizi anni - my raven girl
sorohis - halt!
yer eth nesolat - you must learn
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

ali

Mordecai tried not to show the surprise on her face when her mother agreed with her that she had plans for the day. Of course, right after, Meg had to ruin it by saying that the girl's plans were with her and that none of her plans involved leaving the Throat. The dark filly snorted and rolled her eyes. "Yer ojila." She said firmly, completely unwilling to give in to her mother so easily"Plans outside. Not with Mai." And she looked at the distant shore where she had gone plenty of times before without having to fly

Why couldn't her mother just leave her be?

When she dove into the ocean she had every intention of swimming all the way to the shore, just to show her mother that she didn't need to fly to get across. But of course when she stopped to give her mother that smug look the short mare marched in after her. "Vos! The girl shouted as her mother rounded around her, told her that she had to learn and tried to force her back to the shore. "Vosecchi!" She slipped away from her mother and backed farther into the water, her ears flat against her head and her dark eyes narrowed angrily on the mare that had cared for her in her father's absence. "Leave! Me! Alone!" She shouted, each word louder and more vehement than the last. I don't want to fly! I don't want to! Stop trying to make me!

She didn't understand the drive behind the whole flying thing or why it was so important to Megaera. She didn't understand why her mother couldn't respect her wishes and let her do her own thing, or why she wanted her do be like everyone else. "Can't make me." She uttered her challenge as she continued to glare at her mother.

"."

translation:
Yer ojila. - you're wrong.
Mai - mother
Vos! - No!
Vosecchi! - No way!

@Megaera

When she had been a girl, Megaera had always wished for the sky. She had watched, day in and day out as her father, his sons, and every single bitch of a mare in that herd had soared above the tundra while she remained on the ground. no sooner would new feathers grow but her brothers saw them plucked and scattered and hurt trapped. She and wished, wished with all her heart that one day she could fly, up and un and away in to the sky that had always called to her heart. Flight, when it finally came, had been independence, freedom, power. And each time she was in the air again it was like coming home.

So how could her daughter not want that? Now could she not feel so outrageously ecstatic that she’d also been given that gift? So maybe Mordecai didt need to escape, maybe she could function and live just fine on the ground forever but who could receive such a gift and not want to at lease know how to use it?!

When Mordecai twisted away from her Meg, let her front hooves smack the water’s surface with an angry thrash. “Ohara!” she shouted after the girl, trying to will her not to go any further. “Vo hrazef laz yoma evethiz, Not swimming, Nhizi, it is too far!” Though she struggled with the foreign tongue, Meg forced out as much as she could. Mordecai had always favored it so perhaps that would make her listen, make her understand.

"Can't make me.”

The challenge from the girl was almost too much and megaera lost control of her volume to shout at her. “Kirekhdirgi yer ahhaqat ahhaqat mhari? Why, Mordecai? I cannot understand why you are so angry! What are you afraid of?!” Was that it? Maybe the girl was just scared, but unfortunately that hadn’t occurred to Meg before she lost her temper. “Anha yeri mai! Why don’t you trust me?”

translations:
ohara - daughter
vo hrazef laz yoma evethiz - no horse can cross the poison water
Nhizi - raven (pet name for Mordecai
kirekhdirgi yer ahhaqat ahhaqat mhari - Why do you give me a headache?
anha year mai - I am your mother
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

ali

The girl continued to back away until her mother shouted at her that no horse could make it across the poison water. What was it with her mother telling her what she had to do and what she couldn't do? It only increased her frustration and with her frustration increasing her anger did as well. Had she not already been so dead set against flying and everything to do with it she would have been more calm and she would have been able to think and understand Megaera's reasoning the forced lessons.

But she wasn't. She was stubborn, she was frustrated, she was angry, and she refused to understand.  She was a fighter and she would fight against Megaera until she finally gave up her ridiculous idea of flying lessons.

"What are you afraid of?!"

Mordecai felt as if she'd been doused in icy water as her mother threw fear at her. What was she afraid of? What was she afraid of? Not a fucking thing.

It wasn't fear that kept her grounded, it was her growing hatred of the wings attached to her shoulders. Her wings had caused her nothing but pain the day she was born, the fragile bones snapped and broken under the teeth of someone that should have loved her. Her wings were the reason her birth mother had tried to kill her. Her wings were nothing but a burden and she wished to be rid of them.

“Anha yeri mai!"

"Yer vo tawak mai!" She screamed back at Megaera, her mother, the only one who had loved her as her own daughter. Mordecai fell silent, her dark eyes slightly wider than normal and she stared for only a second before she looked away, toward the shore that was miles away.

"."

translation:
Yer vo tawak mai! - you're not my real mother!

@Megaera

"Yer vo tawak mai!”

-

-

-

It was a dagger to the heart.

Megaera still struggled with the language but the girls meaning came through like a blazing meteor. In the seconds it took the mare to translate all her fire seemed to die. The fierce dark eyes dimmed, the wings that puffed when she was riled wilted and she recoiled like Mordecai had slapped her in the face. She could do nothing but stare.

Long seconds passed and the horrid words hung in the air, some fearful blazing sign that exactly what Meg had feared was coming to pass. On the day the Earth God had worked his magic, the warrior had been utterly terrified. The mare that had given birth to the Sunspear had been a hateful harlot and those that had raised her had been near as bad, so how could Megaera be a mother? If that was what she come from how could she be any better? She had felt so unprepared, so unsuited for the task and not because she had not wanted to help the child but because she had not believed herself to be good enough. The tiny black filly had been so new, so perfect and had deserved so much more than a soldier for a mother. And now Mordecai… Perfect, precious Mordecai, would not even look at her.

Because Megaera wasn’t good enough.

Not since she had been a child had Megaera ever wanted to run away, to weep, as she wanted now. How could that be true? How could Mordecai feel that way when all of Meg’s heart wanted to burst with loving her?

“No…” She made no move forward, and when she spoke it was barely more than a cracked whisper “Please…you know that is not true.” It was a plea, a prayer, if the girl denied her again she felt as if her world would shatter. “I have tried… you were not born of my blood but... but I have chosen you every day after that…. every day.”

"Because you are mine, you were meant to come to me and I was meant to be your mother. You have made me better and with my every breath I pray that I will be good enough to deserve you.” She paused to pull in a shaky breath.

“Mordecai, please….please tell me you know that.”

@Mordecai
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Einarr Posts: 113
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 hh :: 8 years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
Heaving chest of the sea
Carry both of us
Carry her, carry me

Where a mother is heartbroken, a father finds fury. It is white hot and fuming, pouring from his heart in droves, pounding against his breast and threatening to spill right over into the blood red sands of the desert below him. "LEKHAAN!" His eyes, alight with the fire of his anger, narrowed as he landed. Wings, powerful and mighty, beat slowly and steadily as his hooves collided with the sands behind the bay Sultana. The guardian's face contorted and wrinkled as he walked forward, ears pressed down into the dark, inkiness of his primally unkempt mane. "Mordecai! Ohara ase izat. SILENCE!" The stallion nearly spat as he screamed his righteous anger. His words were meant to cut into the girl before him, bring her to her knees and repent for what she had done and what she had said. Her words were poison and her mouth needed to be cleansed.

The titan stomped passed the woman that had sacrificed her life for this child before him, shooting her a sideways glance void of any type of emotion except for the single-minded, fuming anger that pumped his blood like fire through his veins. It took every ounce of strength the warden had to stop a fox length away from his daughter. He wanted to take his head and shove her to the ground, bite her, and make her apologize to the mare behind him. Einarr's breathing was shallow, rapid, and his nostrils flared as he lowered his head to look his daughter square in her eyes. 

"Why so angry!?" The father asked, tail flicking wildly behind him with the ferocity of a mountain cat. All he could focus on was this girl's disrespect. Where most stallions, and fathers, would stand by the mother to comfort and support her, Einarr stood aside. Megaera was the feather, Einarr was the iron. She was the love and nurture and Einarr was the crime and punishment. Today he swung his hammer resolutely. 

EINARR

aud is a boss

if you bury me, i'll bury you
pixel by sourful

ali

Her mother's words barely had enough time to sink into the girl's mind so she could fully understand the enormity of what she had screamed. Her father swooped in, his voice ringing from overhead as he shouted his anger at her. It only increased Mordecai's own frustration and anger and she screamed wordlessly and when she fell silent her throat felt raw and painful. She stood her ground there in the water as her father landed and stalked toward her, commanding her to be silent. It only made her want to scream again because how dare he come back after she'd gone so long without even seeing him and try to discipline her. How dare he.

Even as he stopped so close to her and ducked his head down to her level to look her in the eye she just glared back at him, the amount of anger in her eyes dark making them appear almost soulless. "Why so angry!?" He asked and the young girl literally growled, "No flying." at her father. Her dark eyes migrated over to Megaera as if to punctuate her statement. No flying. None. It would not happen. Never.

But they wouldn't understand, neither of them. She'd made it clear time and again with Megaera that she didn't want to learn how to fly. How could she embrace the wings that had labelled her as weak? How could she love the wings that had been her death sentence? How could she forget the trauma that had come with her birth? She might not have remembered all of it, but she knew the root cause were her wings. They made her imperfect and weak and she didn't want them.

But they wouldn't understand. She didn't have the words to tell them, everything was stuck in her head and she just couldn't communicate it. 

Mordecai spread her wings and as she did so she tore her eyes away from her father and looked at her left wing then her right. It was quite sudden that she lunged for her own wing, her teeth grasped the flight feathers that had grown in and she ripped them from her wing. Mouthful after mouthful she ripped from her wing and spat the feathers into the water. I DON'T WANT THEM! MAKE THEM GO AWAY! She screamed in her own mind as she decimated her feathers. 

"Don't want." She panted when she finally stopped ripping at her feathers. "Don't want. Weak. Kill." Would they even realize she was repeating the first words she'd ever spoken?

"."

translation:

@Megaera @Einarr

Meg was already a shipwreck on the inside when she heard the booming command echo behind her. Einarr!

Einarr.

The hardened warrior that she had seen fight so savagely, so beautifully, and the doting father she had seen care for his infant daughter. Each facet, each layer that had been exposed had only deepened her interest in the dark beast. Every day he had surprised her, every day she had wanted to know more about him and they had watched Mordecai grow together. Their time together had been limited while he had labored for the Earth God, and every interaction had center around the girl they both called daughter, but the woman had started to think of him as an ally rather than opponent. Her best ally. Until he’d simply been gone.

Anger was the only thing thing she could have reached for in order to save face in front of this horrid stallion whose opinion she wished wouldn’t matter so much. It flared as she stalked past her, glancing only at her for a second before marching up to where Mordecai stood.

How dare he?

How dare he leave? How dare he come back and see her when she was scarred and hurt? How  dare he yell like that at HER daughter?

And then Mordecai was screaming. “NO!” Mustering her fire again and glaring daggers at the black stud she set upon him with ears flattened and teeth bared. In a flash and spray of water she was there and threw herself against Einarr to force him back, desperate to protect her darling girl, even from him. But he was so big, so solid, that even if he did shift she faltered and fell to her knees in the salty waters.

And Mordecai moved…

And Mordecai yelled…

Megaera lifted her head to see a plume of falling feathers. She thrashed, lunged to stop her but it was too late, and in the gentle surf the feathers began to drift away. Had they really failed her that much? Could she really believe that? Meg shook from head to hoof with the torrent of feelings that would not be separated or categorized. All she could do was drape her neck over the yearlings and pull the girl tight to her and hope she would feet her thudding heart, the honest beat of a mother’s love. “Strong.” she whispered. “Perfect.”

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Einarr Posts: 113
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 hh :: 8 years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
Heaving chest of the sea
Carry both of us
Carry her, carry me

There were many things that Einarr wanted to do right then and there, before his daughter, to invoke a proper punishment. For words and slashes to fall from her lips towards the woman who had helped nurture her life there would be justice. Hardened muscles tightened beneath his inky pelt as Einarr's ears pinned against his neck. Lips curled and peeled back, teeth ready to slap a bite right to his daughter's cheek for her behavior, but roughly the mother came in and shoved him. His size was so much greater than her's, but Megaera's determination to protect the filly--even from just punishment--was just enough to make the guardian take a step backwards. Red-brown eyes watched in shock and awe as the sultana dropped at his hooves, so full of love and hurt it slammed into him like a tidal wave. Snorting, Einarr regained his position, mouth ready to give Megaera a command to move when all hell broke loose.

Mordecai ripped violently at her wings, and all the war stallion could do was stand and watch it happen. His jaw hung ajar, and his wings dropped. The anger that contorted his face so demonically softened and concern laced his eyes. "Mordecai..." He all but whispered when she finished, standing before them and murmuring the words he remembered so well from rescuing her. Flashes of the brindled mare plagued his mind. Einarr had been so wrong to do what he had done--but he was a stallion, a stud, a stag whom needed to spread his genes. Even in her crazed state of being, Histe had been strong. Guilt, a feeling so foreign and sickening, wrenched his gut as he stepped forward.

The tall brute looped his neck over the pair--true mother and broken daughter--and held them tight. Wings extended forward to capture them in his shield of protection. "Mordecai strong. Wings make Mordecai seris. Afis seris." He meant what he said--her wings made her free, a cageless bird that could travel and conquer whatever and whomever she pleased. Fly free he declared, closing his eyes and resting his chin on Megaera's neck, drawing in her warmth.

EINARR

aud is a boss

if you bury me, i'll bury you
pixel by sourful

ali

She wasn't sure what it was she expected, but it certainly wasn't for her mother to drape her neck over her and pull her against her chest and whisper to her that she was strong and perfect. Part of her hoped for the pinch of teeth against her cheek, some physical punishment to shock her back into reality, but it never came. The added embrace of her father left her trembling and the jumble of emotions that raged like wildfire in her heart and mind left her confused and exhausted.

"Strong. Perfect."

"Mordecai strong. Wings make Mordecai seris. Afis seris."

How? How could they say she was strong? How could say think she was perfect especially after the way she acted and what she said? How could they stand there and hug her like everything was okay? How could she stand there and let them knowing that she didn't deserve it... knowing that she didn't deserve them?

There was a part of her that wanted her to pull away from them, to deny them and their hugs and affection-- to run and not look back and not stop until she couldn't run anymore. But there was a greater part of her that latched onto their love and clung to it like she was drowning and it was the only thing that could save her. Rather than pull away from her parents the dark girl groaned quietly and pressed herself closer to her mother, her body shifting so she could hide her face in the dark locks of Megaera's mane. "...mai" she whispered and she squeezed her eyes shut because those were not tears that were stinging her eyes. It was just the strands of her mother's mane.

"."

@Megaera
@Einarr