the Rift

this is Dragon's Throat | Lumina, Kri + herd

Breeze Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
It was a long time ago he’d traveled this far by foot. He didn’t prefer flying before walking, but it took so much longer getting from one place to the other that he felt unsure about the way several times. But he knew he couldn’t walk past the Throat without reaching the ocean so he kept on walking with his new unicorn acquaintance. As they came closer to the herdland that he didn’t want to call his home, he felt more and more unsure. There were unicorns in the Throat, but pegasi was overrepresented and thus maybe someone of higher rank had to be there to accept Lumina into the herd? Maybe he could call for Azzuen? He also worried about how he would be able to keep a straight face if either Lumina or someone in the herd asked him how he liked to live at the Throat. But at least he was doing his herdly duty… he thought.

They finally crossed the borders and Breeze led Lumina straight for the Oasis, mostly because he himself was very thirsty and the increasing heat had been troubling him for a while now so he wanted to seek the shade.
He drank from the Oasis and then he turned to the unicorn. "I’ll call for someone of higher rank for you to talk to." he smiled.

The young stallion let his weight fall back and lifted his forequarters of the ground. He spread his big wings and let a clear call echo out over the herdland. He hoped he wasn’t too bold by letting his voice pierce the silence of the Throat, but he’d tried to sound polite, just informing those who heard him that there was a newcomer by his side who needed acceptance into the herd.

He got down on all fours and that was when he noticed the change of light, the night was coming, and the young buck smiled. He would see his friends, the stars, again and maybe he could play a bit with Lumina under the silvery shine of the moon?

[Ooc; Lumina first! =)]

Lumina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Lumina trotted lightly after Breeze, pausing every few steps to gaze at her surroundings. Curiosity pricked her coat, but she pushed it away, knowing that any questions would be answered in due time. She was so busy looking around, she nearly ran into Breeze when he stopped. Lumina took a slight step back and flicked an ear. She heard him say something about calling for a higher ranked horse. "Okay," she replied quietly. The dappled bay suddenly became nervous. What if the herd didn't like her? What if she was sent away, or even attacked? Lumina looked at the ground, smiling slightly. Of course that wouldn't happen! Breeze was nice, so maybe he came from a nice herd. Lumina nodded sharply once, willing her mind to believe it. Still, the unicorn couldn't shake off the nervousness that clawed at her stomach.

The dark mare trotted over to the water's edge, leaned down, and drank heavily. The cool water felt wonderful as it soothed her throat. She stopped, rather suddenly, when Breeze reared back and released an ear-splitting cry. She whipped her head up in surprise, but relaxed when all four of his hooves were on the ground again.

Lumina tipped her head back slightly. Her violet eyes gleamed as the first stars of the night began to crawl over the horizon. After another minute of star-gazing, she looked over at Breeze. A smile lit her face. "Thank you for bringing me here," she murmured, blinking slowly.

I Act
I Think
I Speak
You Speak

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

"Breeze," my voice calls forward to the young stallion even as my descent brings me ever closer to the pair down below. I recognized my herdmate, the young colt who had appeared here not long ago. However, beside his nearly grown form was a mare, with no two wings upon her back, but instead a horn protruding out from her forhead delicately. I knew immediately his reason for calling me.

Hooves touch down and gather up a plume of red clouded sand, back hooves followed shortly by my front hooves, a strange dance of a landing bringing me to rest before the pair, blonde mane flopping over in a wild array of strands as I let out a powerful snort. "I see you brought someone new," my voice continues, before I look back toward the mare, a half smile pieced together on my face. My voice, gruff and masculine, retains some of the femininity that my past tried so had to pound from my character. "What is your name?"
""

Unregistered
”Thank you for bringing me here.” Her voice made him smile shyly. "You’re welcome." he answered, the smile lingering in his voice. He began to wonder that maybe it wasn’t the place that made the home, but the people within it. If he just made friends with some of the Throaters then maybe he would feel more at home. He already didn’t feel so bad now that he was getting to know Lumina. But these were easy thoughts when the sun was losing its grip and the temperature was more comfortable for him. He was sure his doubts would rise again next morning together with the light.

The young buck stepped away from the trees a bit and looked up into the sky. They needed not wait for long to be answered. She came. His leader. Breeze had never seen her before, but he knew her by description and it was obvious to him who she was right away. He watched her zoom closer and then she called… his name! The youngsters maw dropped open in disbelief, he hadn’t dream she would have gather his name. He felt a bit proud and as she landed in a red dust cloud the cream colt bowed his head in respect. She was shorter than him, and he had a few inches to grow still, but she had an aura of power and assertiveness that made her seem much taller. "Queen Kri the Resolute." he greeted her, his voice shaking just slightly. He was surprised that her present humbled him so, but he could ponder that later. Now he had to introduce Lumina.

He hurried over to the dark bay’s side and with a smile he said: "This is Lady Lumina. I found her in the Gateway and I told her about our herd and the warmth of our region. She agreed to come with me and I hope you will allow her to stay, Queen Kri." Spontaneously he gave Lumina a friendly nudge before concluding. "She is very nice."

Unregistered
Lumina stared in awe at the magnificent pegasus before her. She suddenly felt very small. Lumina bowed her head respectfully to the mare while she listened to Breeze speak. "She is very nice," the light colt finished. A tiny smile lit her face as he gave her a friendly nudge. She flicked her tail nervously. It was her turn to speak- Breeze had been kind enough to introduce her, but there was more to be said. Her violet eyes were almost closed, but when she spoke she made sure to cast her voice clearly. "Greetings, Queen Kri the Resolute. As Breeze has stated, my name is Lumina. I have been traveling for some time, but Breeze stumbled upon me, and told me about Dragon's Throat. He convinced me that it was a lovely place to live." She paused for a moment. Her eyes stretched open once more. The dark bay swung her head slightly, swishing her horn to and fro. "I know that this is a place made up of mainly those with wings; I hope that my lack of feathers will not put a damper on things." Lumina raised her head. "I humbly ask to join your herd."

This was it. Lumina flicked an ear and shifted her weight. Only one word would be needed after this; Yes, or no. The words were each so simple, but they held such power. Lumina glanced sideways at Breeze. If she was denied a place in the herd, would he be sad to see her go? All she could do now was wait for an answer.

I Act
I Think
“I Speak,”
“You Speak,”

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>

I have to stop myself from laughing at the colt calls me Queen. My body, muscular and nearly that of a short stallion, has hardly been one that has been compared to royalty. I would wager that no such graceful demeanor can be found in me. While I do claim the title of Leader, I can hardly say that I enjoy my role. I would much rather handle each individual with the brute force of a general, and many are surprised to meet the leader of the Throat, finding me to be little more than a mare with a bad attitude and harsh words. This young colt knows little better, however, so I do not mock him or correct him just yet. Instead, I try to focus on his words, what he wishes to share with me about this mare.

His enthusiasm is great, which brings a small smile to rest on my lips. Youth had been stolen away from me early, but I enjoyed to watch the young members of my herd delve into it with wild abandon. The wonders of their eyes might seem to be my own, if I construed it as such, which I am often tempted to. Breeze, this colt who I knew little of, is so excited to tell me of the mare he found to bring home, and that in itself is beautiful. My herd, my family, finding such joys in accepting others. I could do little more than nod with a slight smile printed on my lips as I listen in, ears perked with true interest.

The mare speaks next, and my eyes fall upon her, dark blue stones that gleam hard and critical as I watch her face, in comparison to the freedom with which I had gazed at Breeze. She is new, and while I would love to believe the promotion of this young colt, I must use my judgment to determine if she, like my winged kin, have the heart to stay among us. Her tail twitches nervously, but I do not relent, my gaze cold and heavy as I watch her eyes dim as she speaks. This will not do, for I would wish to see her heart displayed, her strength shown to me. Cowardice would not be accepted, but I suppose that being presented with the head of a herd would be difficult. I myself found no worries when facing those with higher authority. I would respect them as far as their command, but to speak my mind was natural. I suppose this is not always the case, but I still find it strange.

Lumina's words are simply and honest, though, despite the fact that she clearly feels that she has no right to speak to me openly. This is something I have to correct immediately following all of these appeals to me. I curtly nod at the end of her request, and gaze one long, hard moment at the mare before shrugging my shoulders slightly, my demeanor loosened into something more welcoming. "You are free to stay, Lumina," I say finally, my voice as friendly as I could manage.

"I must tell both of you now, there is no aristocracy here. I am no Queen, would not wish to be. I am but a humble leader tasked to protect this herd. I ask that you speak to me freely, like you would your own family," a smile rests awkwardly on my lips as I continue with my strong voice. "We are all family here in the Throat. Be respectful to those of authority,yet be not wary to speak your mind."
""

Unregistered
It seemed his respectful words amused his leader and the colt bit down on his lip. Why could he never say the right thing?! Oh if the young buck knew how many times his mother had regretted her words and asked herself that very question. Then maybe he would have smiled and blamed his tactlessness on his genes, but he had no idea of how shy and misplaced Buzz, or Ru’yah as he knew her to be named, had been in conversations with especially leads. So he kept scolding himself at the same time as he rejoiced in the fact that Lumina was accepted to stay.

A hot wave of further embarrassment came over him though as Queen Kri stated she was no Queen and didn’t wish to be. Surely this must be the explanation for her amusement when he called her as such. Breeze’s black eyes darted nervously because she had also told them to speak freely and the hot secret of his distaste for the desert made his hide prickle. He felt like a small foal who had done something he wasn’t supposed to and as he didn’t come clean was eaten by guilt under the questioning of his parents.

He looked down.

A ball of guilt was stuck in his throat.

He glanced sideways at Lumina. Would she feel as she’d been lied to? Then he looked at Lady Kri and took a deep breath. The coolness of the night and the light from the growing number of stars didn’t help, he still felt warm all over and he felt as if he had to tell her or else he would burn up from the inside.

"Lady Kri," he started and swallowed the lump in his throat. "I don’t… I mean I do like…" How would he be able to phrase this? "I like the herd and all," it was a start. "But the climate, the heat… it is not my… I do not prefer it." He had diverted from her eyes now, afraid that he would see anger, but he felt she deserved to know his intentions.

"There is a reason we haven’t met before and that being that I have not spent much time here, I’ve been constantly fleeing the heat. I am sorry Lady Kri." He looked apologetically to Lumina hoping she would not feel betrayed, but was expecting she would.

Unregistered
[Oh, geez, I'm sorry! ^^' So sorry... I accidentally put this thread under the wrong category in my thread tracker. ;~; This post is gonna suck, too. I'm really uninspired. XD]

Lumina remained as still as a stone while the two spoke. A brief, hot spark of anger threatened to envelope her heart, but she forced it away. Her violet eyes softened. She could see, plain as day, that Breeze was struggling with his words. Instantly regretful of her rage, Lumina pawed lightly at the ground. She flicked an ear fitfully and tried to think of what she should say. She'd only been following Breeze's lead. Lumina had been afraid that if she addressed Kri wrongly, she would be denied a place among the herd. A soft, unnoticeable sight escaped her.

"I am sorry, Kri. I'm sorry to you as well, Breeze." Her voice almost broke. "I wouldn't have asked for you to lead me here if you had told me the temperature did not suit you. I shall do my best to speak openly from now on. I was not entirely sure of what to expect or how to act." Not knowing what else to say, she pursed her lips and glanced from one horse to the other.

Lumina tried not to feel guilty. Breeze's words almost made it sound as if he was going to leave... Permanently. The dark mare shivered slightly.

Walk Walk Walk
Think Think Think
"Talk Talk Talk,"

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>

"No need to apologize," I say with a laugh. "I know many leaders would claim royalty."

My eyes are deft, though, and note the change in Breeze immediately. He looks worried, puzzled, and ultimately uncomfortable. However, I have a feeling that my offer for him to speak freely has lifted some invisible chain he had shackled to himself. My face remains impassive as I wait, gentle and soothing despite the worn, gruff polish of my features. At one point, I may have been beautiful, but in the growing years, my face had given way to worry, to rage, to stern authority. I was no longer the graceful flower of my youth, but some twisted stone statue of who I had been, built to weather future storms, including this one arising in the mouth of a colt.

His words were shaky, uncertain, and I could feel that my intense stare was likely not helping. However, I had not found a neutral expression for my dark pools of blue in all my years on this earth, and I did not intend to strain myself for his comfort. The heat gets to him, he says finally, in less concise words. I tilt a head, my ear tilting down toward the ground in uncertainty. "The heat can be oppressive," I agree with stark words, but do not yield to the thought that it is an unsuitable home. "Yet you are a loyal soul, Breeze. I would be troubled to see it chase you from here."

"Perhaps you can be tasked with assignments outside of the desert that strains you," my lips take on an encouraging smile. "We are short of much, and your aid would be appreciated." Blue eye glance back toward Lumina as she speaks, holding her image still for a few moments, absorbing her words. "I hope you will, Lumina."
""

Unregistered
He felt awful for saying those words to her and it didn’t make it better that she was so nice, trying to work it out for him by offering assignments somewhere else. But the colt was still not sure of what to do. He looked up at Lady Kri for the first time since he finished speaking. Maybe it was good he hadn’t seen her stern expression before she spoke her solution to his problem, maybe he’d lost the little courage he had and fled - like ha had done when he had faced the denial of the Earth God. But he hadn’t seen her worn, stone-face and so he was still standing there in front of the leader, wondering what he should say.

"Thank you for understanding. I will think about it and give you my answer as soon as I know myself." He said finally and managed to smile in spite of his inner turmoil. Why did every little emotion affect him so much? Breeze didn’t know much about life and so he didn’t know that at his age almost everybody was a bit emotional.

"I’m going to go play with Lumina for a bit now." he smiled, sounding like a foal and the contrast to his previous word was a bit amusing. "I’ll talk to you later, Lady Kri."

He skipped towards Lumina and playfully nipped at her shoulder, before he galloped off towards the oasis, sending his hind hooves into the air with every two strides. It was so obvious that he was in his breaking point between childhood and adulthood. But he would soon be forced to grow up, a war was coming and even if he himself probably wouldn’t participate he had someone close to him that would. And a bloody battle could easily kill the boy inside every man - young or old.

Unregistered

Lumina simply stood there as still as a stone while the two swapped words. She becomes less tense as the conversation continued; the tables seemed to turn as Kri offered for Breeze to be given tasks and missions outside of Throat territory. She bit her tongue to hold in a sigh of relief. In the brief time she had gotten to know Breeze, she'd grown quite fond of him, and losing any friend- be it a new one or a best one- would never settle well with Lumina. The dark bay flicked an ear distractedly. The others' words began to blur together as Lumina spaced out. Her eyes became vacant and distant. What her mind was thinking of would never be known to another soul- even she wasn't paying much attention to her thoughts. Nothing in particular seemed to arouse her attention. Maybe she should listen to the conversation... Or maybe not. Lumina blinked slowly.

"I'll talk to you later, Lady Kri." Lumina was jerked back to reality by a light nip from the light pegasus colt. She watched him race away, throwing his back legs into the air every other lope. Lumina smiled. His age was such an enjoyable time. The borderline between childhood and maturity... She tossed her head slightly and stole a glance at Kri. "Please excuse me, Lady Kri. I suppose I should follow his lead." She smiled again.

And off she went. Lumina shot off after him. She tossed her head back and released a joyous whinny. The dark mare's hooves pounded against the ground in a rhythmic pattern.