the Rift

Circles [OPEN]

Ruairi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Circles.

I’ve been round and round for a lot longer than I’d care to admit, first by sky and now by land. It hadn’t been troubling at first, if nothing else I’m used to losing my way, but now the hills and trees have become so familiar... I’m not sure what parts I actually recognize and what parts I’ve simply passed too many times for my grasping mind to distinguish between new and old. Anxiety quivers deep in my chest, but I consciously shove the feeling away. Worrying won’t help anything. I just need to breathe, regroup

It’s not a bad looking place, wherever this is. Trees, grass, water. There are birds and squirrels and other small things scratching around in the underbrush. The air is mild and pleasant, or I just can’t smell the worst of it. Big as my velvety nostrils are, they don’t do much in the way of olfactory ability. It’s by some cosmic goodwill that I wasn’t born a wolf or a mole, doomed to starve by no other malady than sheer incompetence and the ruling laws of natural selection. Not that I’ve managed to escape incompetence with this body either.

Two years ago the gods saw fit to grant my mother a beautiful little filly – If I may compliment myself – complete with four spindly legs and two comically oversized wings, so that she might go out and conquer the world one way or the other. Yet here I stand with ears cocked at opposite angles, my inner confusion and lack of direction manifesting for all to see.
RUAIRI

manip | table | bg

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

Last time she was here, she brought Lace home, much to the chagrin of her king. Today, she is hoping to make amends by bringing home somebody who falls into the realms of none-confrontational. Aside from Lace, the silver's past forays into the Threshold have not yielded any success - she musn't have one of those companionable faces that makes people want to come back with her. But her duties as a warrior do not just encompass fighting and defending the herd; she has to swell its ranks, too, and that is what she intends to do.

Most rogues are already surrounded by delegates from other herds, but finally Nyx's sights fall on a loner. She turns on her heel and heads towards the mare, who bears the wings of the pegasus. Nyx has nothing against the species as a whole, but she hates fighting with the feathery little bastards - as Ampere proved, shitting on their foes from a great height is a favoured tactic of theirs. Thankfully, this particular mare doesn't look like she is about to dump on the silver's head anytime soon, so she has no problem approaching.

Her neck is held high, but not high enough to display overt dominance or confrontation; her face is lapsed into easy neutrality, and her tail swishes lazily to rid herself of flies. Dominus is nowhere to be seen - she tends to send him away when she comes Theshold-mooching, so his glowering expression and penchant for giving hungry glances to horseflesh don't frighten away potential recruits. Judging from the occasional flash of their mental bond, he is hunting, and she is treated to flashes of fleeing rabbits and squirting blood.

But her focus is fully on the mare, and she severs the flow of her bond to her companion to the thinnest of slivers. The pegasus looks young, barely out of fillyhood, but the Edge leaders surely won't mind that. They need some youth to balance out all the grumpy old farts. "Hello there," greets the silver soldier, her voice cheery. "Welcome to Helovia. My name is Nyx, of the World's Edge. Might I ask your name, and enquire whether you are looking for a home?" That sounds suitably sales-pitch-esque, and the silver sincerely hopes it works, this time.

[ SHE'S ELECTRIC ]

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Unregistered
Well... I could do with directions at least. I mean, I am looking for a home, but my home. The home I left. I’m uh... a little lost.

A wide smile slides across my face as if we’ve met before and both know what an understatement a little lost is. It’s in good humor, but there’s embarrassment too. Pegasi are supposed to be fantastic navigators. We can fly obviously - get up among the clouds and see the world laid out below - but most importantly we’re feathered fliers. Half bird. And birds are renowned for their sense of direction, so I should have gotten at least half a measure of that right? No. Not at all.

Oh, sorry. My name is Ruairi. Most people just say Rue. It’s nice to meet you.

The main arms of my wings raise automatically, layers of primary and secondary feathers still tucked neatly together. It’s a common greeting and automatic to my mind, but where I’m from everyone has wings to return it… and Nyx does not.

The realization hits me with a jolt of mixed emotions. Embarrassment, awkwardness, social anxiety all rolled into one big acidic mess. It burns across my skin and clenches my wings tight to my shoulders as if dropping them quickly enough would erase having lifted them at all.

I’m not sure what’s considered polite and impolite among Helovians, but I’m hoping this kind of faux pas falls somewhere in the range of neutral indiscretion. Or maybe even youthful ignorance. Ugly tourism? I’d claim them all if it would make me look like less of an idiot. It suddenly seems very important that the older mare like me.

RUAIRI

manip | table | bg

@Nyx

"Lost?" Well, she's never had a rogue admit that before. She supposes it is quite easily done, but she always assumed the feathered folk had a natural advantage when it came to directions. As well as their ability to shit on you from a great height, pegasi are also blessed with wings, and thus can soar around and check their path. But Nyx is not one to judge, and she keeps her surprise well-tethered. This mare's homeland's loss can be Helovia's (and, hopefully, the World's Edge's) gain.

She introduces herself as Ruairi, and lifts her wings in a bizarre greeting. Nyx's eyebrows lift and her eyes follow the wings upwards, but in her determination not to seem rude she forces her head into a nonchalant nod of greeting. Perhaps wing-flaring is the pegasus equivalent of unicorns touching horns, or equines touching their poor, bare heads. This mare has certainly piqued the steel soldier's interest, and she feels considerably guilty when Rue plasters her wings back to her sides, as though embarassed about lifting them. Nyx is far from the world's most tactful creature, but even she has some basic desire to put somebody else at ease when that somebody seems to be a pleasant, naiive little soul. "Don't be embarassed. Is that a greeting from your homeland?" Her voice is soft and - hopefully - reassuring, with genuine interest veiled behind the words.

Clearing her throat and shaking her neck to flop her forelock out of her eyes, Nyx returns her attention to the fact this poor youngster is very lost and very alone. "I confess I am no expert on the lands outside Helovia, so I would be no use as a guide if you leave and try to find your homeland. However, I can certainly give you a guided tour if you decide to stay here." She flicks her eyes to Rue's hopefully. She certainly wouldn't blame the girl for turning tail and taking her chances in the wilderness, but Nyx is certainly an advocate for staying in sunny Helovia. Magic, demon bears, racists, murder and woe - what's not to like?

[ SHE'S ELECTRIC ]

@Ruairi

Unregistered
“Yeah… to both I mean. I guess I haven’t met very many strangers.”

Aside from Nyx I’ve always known everyone that I know now. The world becomes a pretty small place when you and all your neighbors have an average forty foot wing span. Ease of contact is probably a huge factor in my lack of orientation too, though I doubt any reasoning would fully excuse a Pegasus not having any sense of direction.

Whenever the winds grow too rough or my wings start to tire I just land among friends and begin again when the weather settles. Back home we’re all loosely connected by some aunt or uncle, cousin or sister, so there’s no animosity between herds. Nyx isn't a relative, but she's been just as kind to me, so I guess this isn’t much different.

“That would be really nice of you! I don’t know anything about Helovia yet, except what I saw from the sky. Lots of trees… islands… and some snow up north. Which way is your homeland?”

Anxiety forgotten, I settle my wings more loosely against myself and shuffle forward in something that’s not quite a walk but nothing like a trot either. It’s a gait unique to certain families called a running walk and I find it infinitely more comfortable for traveling on foot than a regular walk or trot, though cantering is pleasant too. With this though, each hoof lands independently of the others so I always have an easy tempo to follow and three supporting legs for every step through uneven terrain. I do have to move my legs a little quicker than others, but with the wings I still take fewer steps overall.

OOC: I'll be away for the weekend, but back in action Monday. :)
RUAIRI

manip | table | bg

@Nyx

I'm away for a week now so wrapped this up so you aren't in limbo! :D I can make a thread in the Edge when I get back unless you want to?

Sometimes, the soldier wishes she could grow wings and fly away; it must be an amazing sensation, to feel the wind in one's mane and nothing but empty air beneath one's hooves. The horn on her head is all well and good, but it can't soar her over mountains and over valleys. See, this is why Nyx would make a terrible racist - she envies other species their nature-given blessings. Admittedly equines are quite dull with their bald faces and naked backs, but they can bond to dragons, which is certainly a benefit - the only way to keep a dragon from eating you is to tie it to your mind like a tethered dog.

To her surprise, and delight, Ruiari seems keen to see the Edge, and Nyx is only too happy to show her. "You've pretty much summed it up. Trees, mountains, snow, and the occasional new land popping up out of nowhere." Admittedly, that doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's pretty darn cool - the silver's knees give a hearty throb where they slammed into the ground and scorched themselves with God blood. "The Edge is this way. It's quite a distance, so I'll have plenty of time to tell you more about Helovia on the way!" She's given a sudden image of Dominus bounding through the nearby bushes towards them, and she quickly bids him to stay away. Best not to frighten poor Rue with a great slavering lion diving out of the foliage.

Rue breaks into an odd running stride, which Nyx is hardpressed to keep pace with. If she walks she falls behind, if she trots she feels like she will overtake; she isn't designed for such an odd lope, so ends up moving in a strange half-walk half-trot that certainly doesn't exhibit the true range of her movement. But the company makes up for her discomfort, and she is soon angling herself towards the Edge with her new friend by her side, quite happy to talk about anything Rue wants.

[ SHE'S ELECTRIC ]

@Ruairi