the Rift

[PRIVATE] NIGHTBOOK.

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
You are surprised at how natural it feels being beside him. No longer are you too shy to look at him for fear of melting underneath that stare, flushed with enough hormones to drive even a god mad, so new to the idea of men and their affections that even a smile used just right swayed you in ways you hadn’t thought possible. Maybe it is because you had spent so much time around him lately that it couldn’t take you by surprise anymore, or maybe the little life growing inside of you had sucked up all your desire to be wooed. A sideways glance is cast towards him, your eyes tracing from the thick lines of his legs to the broadness of his chest, the muscles coiling and releasing tantalizingly slowly as the two of you meandered along in the breaking light; finally reaching the crest of his neck to the subtle lines of his large face. It is when your eyes meet his that you pause in your inspection, a smile tugging playfully at the corners of your lips. It is in this simple once-around that you determine it must be the latter, that or maybe he had given up on you in the state you found yourself in all together. You nearly laugh then, the thought of him suddenly losing interest all too amusing, shaking your head just enough to send stray curls tumbling across your face in disagreement with your silent argument.

It is as your lips part to provoke some sort of banter that you all but freeze in your tracks, a sharp pain shooting through your gut forcing a moan instead of words. For a moment you do nothing, staring blankly ahead, fear draining the color from your face as a second wave of pain hits you hard. Your thoughts instantly turn to the child you had harbored for what seemed like ever, questions of if such a sudden onset was normal, or if you had ignored the signs long enough for it to progress to such a point. You shoot a scattered look to the man that no doubt had kept walking, unaware of your predicament, mumbling his name along with something along the vague lines of oh fuck it might be time, unsure of whether he would hear you or not.

Months of knowing still had not prepared you for the eventuality of bringing a child into the world. Your mind hadn’t rested from the what ifs and how tos, and, despite of normally thinking of yourself as mature at your age, being half a child yourself still. You couldn’t have known how you would be as a mother, and having the entire existence of something depend solely on you had, and does, terrify you. A part of you relishes it, a part that cannot wait to teach and show and learn, to love, to watch as they grow and become something better than what you had ever been, had ever hoped for them. But a part of you, however small, has dreaded the responsibility of raising something and all of the things that could go wrong. There is no more time for trying to prepare now, no more time for your what ifs and doubt as you relinquish your relative control and let your body continue on auto-pilot.

birthing stuff cause i’m not putting anyone through that. XD

Slowly your mind begins to pull from the world of dreams that you had retreated to, away from the burning pain that had engulfed the back end of your body, the pressure that occupied the rest of it. You do not know how long you have been lost, only that the sun that had been but a breath against the blooming dawn is now blinding within a blue sky. “Rohan,” It is him that you remember first, your voice quiet and strained, the effort of simply speaking nearly too much. Your eyes search for his masculine frame, clouded by a pink mist that you can only assume is blood. Panic swells within you as you become more coherent, the pieces clicking neatly into place as your head snaps upwards and you are greeted with dizziness, the simple motion alerting you to just how tired you are, how drained. But it does not matter. All that matters is her. Your heart bursts as your eyes settle on a tiny frame, so reminiscent of the man that had given her to you, black against the fresh life of spring. You cannot refuse the smile that comes to you then, the way your heart beats solely for her suddenly, the way everything else fades and the weight of your world shifts to center around her. Your joy is tempered only by the shadow of a doubt, of a fear as black as she is, one that you reject as instantly as it comes to you, your instinct telling you something is wrong but your heart is too stubborn to give in.

But as the moments pass, your eyes never wandering from that little rib cage, waiting with your own breath caught in your throat for it to move, it becomes more and more apparent that something had gone wrong. Instinct dictates that she should have been trying to move, trying to stand, that you wouldn’t have slept because she would have woken you, needing you so because she is so frail and new. “Nn-no,” You stammer, lurching gracelessly to your feet which nearly give way to your weight as soon as you stand, stumbling as you bring your face to her neck, nudging it with a tenderness as if you are afraid to hurt her, hoping to provoke a response. When nothing happens you suck in a shaky breath, your eyes growing hot with tears that you try to blink away, your heavy heart sinking to the very pit of your stomach.

Despite the exhaustion of your body, the limitations that you know are there, you will your magic to spark to life, the electricity of it reaching out for anything but the emptiness of death that emanates from her, the lump in your throat getting harder to swallow as it fails once, then twice, before receding back into you, healing torn flesh out of instinct before fading into nothing. You sob then, a sound that is not altogether natural, filled with a pain that you are too small to process, your whole body shaking from your breaking heart as you press your lips to the small curve of her dark cheek, the wetness of your tears staining it darker. With nothing left to save her, you sway, collapsing once more beside the tangled mess of a body, brows furrowing as your eyes trace over every little detail that was to be your daughter, your very first love; gone before she ever even took a breath, before her heart ever beat, before she could know and feel the way she is so very much loved. It is only then that you look to him, to the man that had been your strength this whole time, wordlessly pleading for him to do something, anything, despite knowing that he cannot.

“I ... I don't understand.

@Rohan @Misael
eeeee <3 excited~

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Rohan Posts: 132
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.0 :: 8 years HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Éomer :: White-tailed Eagle :: Scream Reli
living like we're
     r e n e g a d e s
The months by her side have passed by quickly. Many times he has stopped to ponder how peculiar it is, for a tameless (or so he would like to think) vagabond such as himself, to be tethered to a single woman for so long, but he finds that he is not tethered at all. A pregnant mare—her body steadily growing swollen and heavy with the child inside of her, not even his child, each step seeming more lumbering than the last—is not a sight that he is accustomed to (his roguish head full of elegant and whimsical creatures); and exactly why he has lingered by her side so long is an enigma that he has no intention of exploring.

His green eyes skirting sideways in one of his habitual glances, Rohan notices her stare, and the corners of his eyes crinkle as a playful smirk widens across his lips. “Enjoying the view?” The large stallion teases her easily, the deep breadth of his voice melting into an equally rumbling chuckle. His broad shoulders expand as he puffs out his chest dramatically, strutting forward ahead of her and swinging his hips oh-so-provocatively. Continuing his theatrical prance, the Warlander throws a glance over his shoulder, expecting her to banter with him—but all laughter is promptly cut short when he notices the horrible grimace that twists her face.

“Enna?” The stallion sobers quickly, the playful mirth trickling from his features to leave their rugged lines taught in hesitant concern. He turns, walking back towards her, but it is when her swollen body suddenly crumples to the ground that he lurches forward. “Enna—!” There is panic laced into the edges of his voice, green eyes roaming frantically over her figure, feeling frustrated and helpless because he doesn’t know exactly what he is looking for. He has no experience with something like this, he would not know that the bulge in her body is suddenly too misfigured to be normal, all he understands is that something is wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong.

Then there is blood and mess. Rohan flinches back at first, cursing to himself with his heartbeat pounding like a drum in his ears, not knowing what to do other than hover over her—is he giving her enough space? What should he do? What can he do? His thick tail lashing about his flanks in agitation, the Warlander doesn’t dare to venter down there until she has stilled. Breathing heavily into the crisp morning air (like he’d just done something even half as strenuous), he eyes Enna for a short moment, unsettled by the stillness. It is too quiet. Pressing his lips softly to the mare’s cheek and satisfied that she is in fact breathing, he peeks at the tiny little mass—should he help it?—but he only needs a glance to know. It is too quiet.  “Oh no,” his voice cracks and he withdraws, his neck arching as his body bows. He mourns for the mare—mourns for what awaits her when she wakes.

- - - - -

Hours pass. Rohan waits anxiously, having wandered off just a short ways in his restless grazing, one ear constantly trained in her direction. At last, he hears the grass stir as she rouses into wakefulness, his name a whisper against her dry lips. “Enna,” he sighs, feeling only a moment of relief, coming quickly to her side again. She is safe, as far as he knows, and that is enough to loosen the grip in his gut a little bit—but the knots of worry still weigh him down. He fumbles with himself, awkward, and frustrated at his utter incompetence. “You were asleep for so long—I didn’t know what to do, I—” Enna snaps up then, cutting him off as his throat tightens.

She seems determined to rise, as he would expect of any mare who’d just given birth, and while he pleas inside for her to turn away, to run—to save herself—he only lingers closely, ready to offer his support should her strength prove too fragile. “Enna…” Rohan murmurs when her eager eyes fall on the black filly, too silent in her young sleep, his eyes shutting tightly at the breaking of her stuttering, shattered cries. He turns his head away—giving her a moment of privacy with her heartache, allowing her a moment of aloneness before it becomes too much.

His eyes are on her again by the time she looks to him, but selfishly, he almost wishes he had not caught her gaze. He has never felt so helpless. Is there any way he could possibly help her? Rohan can’t help but look away again, momentarily, beneath the weight of her sorrow. He knows death; he remembers the day his brother had been slaughtered, brought back to them in pieces after the battle. But…this? He has never been a father. He couldn’t possibly understand what this is.

Knowing that there is nothing he can say to ease her mourning, and nothing he can do to lessen her grief, the stallion remains silent—standing as a still, quiet comfort. Finally, when he thinks her sobs have calmed, he moves to her. His legs are stiff from standing without movement, but he ignores his discomfort (so petty in light of her own) and presses his lips gently to the top of her head. “You need to rest,” he murmurs, though he doesn’t urge her to move. His touch slowly lowers until his cheek is pressed against hers, and Rohan looks to the filly, his eyes much quieter than their usual brightness. “She is beautiful,” he breathes slowly, feeling like he is tiptoeing around her, “as pretty as her mother.” He dares to chuckle awkwardly, the sound forced and lacking humor.

But oddly enough, he means it—every word. Even as sweaty, and clammy, and utterly exhausted as she is, with the mess of birth around her and the long curls of her hair matted into knots, Enna is beautiful. He wouldn’t want to be spending this moment anywhere else. She needs him now—he tells himself, at least. Deciding that there is no way he can possibly distract her from this tragedy, not now (perhaps it wouldn’t be respectful, perhaps she needs to sit now with her still child), Rohan lowers himself to lie beside her in the grasses. “What will you name her?” He inquires softly, his gaze lingering on the filly before he shifts his attention to Enna.

“Speech.”

rohan
image credits | @Enna
[Image: 57c5195f31f1b_by_relibelli-db9li1z.png]
please tag Rohan in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

You were asleep for so long—I didn’t know what to do, I—“You could have woken me, I didn’t need to sleep, I didn’t—you—you could have done anything, could have, could have—“ It is an angry hiss that quickly dissipates in to despair, into quiet, breathless pleading. Saved her; it lingers on your tongue, so heavy, but you do not, cannot, will not say it, because, somewhere deep down, you know that nothing could have been done, and even if there had been something, he would have tried, he would have, even though she was never his to save.  And so your red-hot anger burns and burns inside of you, wordless, formless, vehement and ugly, until it cannot burn any longer, leaving its ghost of guilt, your apologies bitter in the back of your throat, your tears coming faster and hotter, and your breaths harder. “I’m sorry,” is all you manage before you are too stricken, your throat too tight, to do anything but weep some more, drowning in sorrow. You weep for her, for him and the wound you are certain your black tongue, blind heart, have opened. Weep because it is the only thing left for you to do, the only thing you know how to do. But he is there; you feel his grace against your mess of hair, offering comfort when you do not deserve it, for all the wrong and the nothingness that you have done. ‘You need to rest,

“I need her,” your face quivers, body shaking as his touch trails down the side of your face, this intoxicating warmth of his more comforting than he would ever know. His next words do not produce a flutter of your heart, does not twist your stomach in to juvenile knots. It provokes a sickening feeling of falling in your chest, vomit to the back of your tongue as you remember all of the horrible things that you had thought of her before she even had a chance to prove you wrong, all of the terrible things you had wished. They haunt you now, in the glassiness of her eyes, the stillness of her frail little body. “This is my fault, only mine.” It stings more than you ever thought it could, twisting your heart in all its weariness, all its anguish. “I am not beautiful, Rohan, I am a monster. When I told you that I was afraid of everything the future held, I was … I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to love this child, that I would keep it so far from me it would be a stranger, that I would blame it for everything that Caleb has done, when I knew even then it was so utterly innocent.”

Your body shudders, a shaky breath leaving you within the waiting silence. “I did not stop hoping that I would never look upon its face, remembering him and all of my mistakes, did not stop wishing that it would cease to be.” For a minute you are still, the shock of all of this slowly settling in to your bones. “I didn’t stop, I wished her away, and now—“ you suck in another breath, its return to the atmosphere jagged and uneven, all too forced when you want nothing more than to disappear, to not feel this hole that you have dug within your heart, the weight of your guilt too, too much. “There isn’t anything I wouldn’t give to have her back, though I do not even deserve her.”

It is not angry words that you are met with, not a look of disgust, but his warmth once more, too hot to the touch but a burn you would endure until there was nothing left of you to burn at all. Your body presses to his before you are fully aware of it, and it is only now that you realize you need him just as much as your heart needs her, the thought of being without him so terrifyingly lonely, blotting out for a moment the pain of loss, of guilt. You lift your head, lips pressing to his muzzle, eyes catching his for the first time in too long, your heart forgetting momentarily the hurt that clutches to it with vice-like fingers, forgetting for a moment that everything is not alright. You breathe against him easily for the moments between, moments that you cling to so fervently, wishing that all of this, all of this besides this weightlessness that you feel would all just be a dream, before the quietness of his voice shifts your attention back to her, thrusts you too abruptly into your tremendous loss.

You pull away from him nearly instantly, hair shuddering against your neck and in to mismatched eyes, shielding you from speculation, from prying eyes that may just see too much should they even look.  You do not know if it is the love that you have lost, the pain that has grown to every corner of your soul, or if it is something real that swims inside of you, a fragment of the place between worlds he had held you in, of him. You do not possess the courage to look at him, afraid once more of what you will not see, did not see, before; afraid that you will look to him and find he had not felt anything, does not feel anything, where you are struggling not to. And so you shelter it once more, choosing to forget, to ignore, anything but to indulge, wide eyes examining your little girl, your heart bleeding once more as you seem to hear his question for the first time, after minutes of being lost within yourself, within things you do not, cannot, understand. You do not ask him if it would be right to name her, do not hesitate as one is plucked from your memory, from one of the stories Ama used to tell you, where everyone always found happiness with someone who loved them madly falls from you gently: “Quinn.” Your supple lips bend into a small smile, a sense of finality washing over you, the utter devastation that you have felt since waking somehow both deepening and numbing all at once.

@Misael @Rohan

Misael Posts: 97
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 HH :: 7 years HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Lazarus :: Melanistic Lion :: None ShadowMare
Let me in
I'll show you how the world really is

Curiosity had burned it's way with Miseal through Helovia. His hooves of gold tread across the multiple terrains that made up the beautiful world of Helovia. His exploration of this realm had almost come to a close, he had found his favorite parts--his least favorite ones--and had learnt many things throughout his journey. Not only did he learn of the culture that stretched and implemented it's self in this place, but he had also explored the deep crevices of his own culture. He had come closer to finding his true nature; finding the real Miseal. The one that was uncorrupted by his sultry and sinister ways, one that was free of the weight of life. A lighter, purer, happier, Miseal. 

The shades of purple caught his eye as the thistle brushed against blue and cream painted pillars. Drapes dragged behind him and pooled in a mass of chromes, thistle weaving within the ribbons. His ears laid back with the comfort of the soft rays and warmth of the soothing aurora. The beast felt at peace, this pristine beauty soothing his aching mind. Nostrils drew in the fresh, crisp air around him, the aromas and perfumes of pollens nearly overrode a strong, tangy scent.  He snorted at this odor, it was familiar, but he couldn't quite put a name to the metallic smell. Brow furrowed as he scoured his mind for answers, and when it was found, the stallion's attitude quickly changed. He released a loud, wild shrill into green meadow, altering the source of the blood of his presence. His call bounced off the empty meadows and hollow trees, ears perking forward as the deep masculine tones screamed through the scenery. Like that of a hound, the creature followed the scent with a deadly precision, head low and eyes blazing their path through the wilds. 

Nothing could've prepared him for the sight he was about to witness. A stiffness feel about his facade as he entered the scene, his eyes reflecting the utter shock and betrayal. Crimson liquid collected in a puddle, something he was sure that wasn't supposed to be there. Then, his eyes that had seen most of the terrible things the world had to offered, fell upon the abandoned foal. It's body was small, brittle, an ebonite coat cloaked the young equine, doing little to hide the skeleton that was it's body. Death was amongst the worse cards that life dealt. Death was quick though and unfortunately, the evil fates of the world not only knew how to bring the light out of man, but he also knows how to deprive one of life in ways more subtle then death. And the thought, quite frankly, scared the hell out of him. Death to those of innocence and to those yet to experience the beauties and glories of the world was a card that was despicable; a joker in a hand of aces. How could it be, that those who didn't deserve another breath got to greedily breathe the air that those who deserve it, have to barter for? Why was it that we lived in a world where the fortunate wanted more then ever needed and the unfortunate merely begged for the chance of survival? Questions and thoughts of misbelief raged beneath his horned cranium, why? Why was life so sick?

He wasn't quite sure if he could look at her, his beloved companion that he had dared extend a kind limb too. What had happened in the months that they did not see each other? He had searched for her, it was true, but he had come up empty handed. Perhaps she didn't want to be found and Miseal had rested with that assumption. Fury began to replace the shock, and his angered tones tried to mask the tones of raw disbelief. 

"What have you done?"

What had she done? His chords no longer held the beautiful charms of the dark enthralling prince that Miseal normally was, no, these words were full of disgust and hate. There was no warmth to them, instead his charms were traded for coldness. Bitterness creating chords of sharpened needles and knives. The beastly creature shook his massive crowned cranium, earth flying in the air as his hoof dug into the earth with powerful paws. In this moment, Miseal had lost himself. He had become blinded by his purely raw fury, and nothing was going to end up well after this. Ablaze orbs bored into the eyes of the buck, every chord and coil of his body expressed his white hot rage, eyes narrowing at the sight of the cream. Ears pinning and nostrils flaring, "And you," He hissed, the looks in his eyes one that could scar any of weak heart, "What is your relevance?"

"Talk?"

image credits

living like we're
     r e n e g a d e s
“There was nothing to be done.”

The breadth of the stallion’s deep voice is composed in its finality, leaving his lips in measured breaths. Green eyes rest evenly on the mare’s face, stoic in comparison to her grief-induced anger, and he bites back the fire that flickers to the tip of his tongue, recognizing for once that his temper will not serve him well now. She is hurting. Her accusations are hollow and woeful, he knows, and he waits like the smoldering rock for her hot lava to cool. It boils and then simmers, cracking and bubbling, before it quiets. Her apology, when it comes, is choked by the sobs that wrack her tiny frame, and slowly, gingerly, he tightens his grip around her.

There is no need for her to apologize to him, he won’t accept it, but he allows her to keep whatever peace she has made, however fragile and broken it might be. Like glass, she has been shattered—wrecked and devastated—with edges like knives that cut anyone who gets too close, whether she intends it or not. He bleeds silently, selfishly, patching up his own small bruise as her great wound festers. He reaches for her, tentative almost, the heat of her skin vibrating as violently as her body, her pining, anguished cry nearly too heavy for him to witness.

Shifting his weight, the Warlander trails his muzzle up towards her brow, his warm breath tousling the matted curls of her forelock. “I know, love,” he breathes almost gently, carefully, but—he does not know. He does not know what it means to love as she loves her daughter, to want to give his entire soul and being as she does to that one who can make it all right, or to give his heart as she has given hers. He does not know—and perhaps he never will. Hers is a grief that has transcended him, and he does not try to understand it. He has seen death, and he has felt loss…but he has not been robbed. He has only stolen—does that make him the monster?

“This is my fault, only mine.”

It is the mare’s pained condemnation that returns her to his focus once again. He pulls away enough to look into her eyes, searching for her gaze with a stern desperation. “Enna, no—” But she cuts him off, his protest dying on his lips and leaving a sourness to putrefy there with every passing word. Rohan knows anger, and he clutches at it now when he feels its familiar flame, harboring it in his chest to brighten his eyes in his disapproval. “There was nothing to be done—nothing could have changed this. I know what a terrible parent is, and Enna, you couldn’t not love this child even if you wanted to. Look at yourself,” his voice, which had first left him in indignation, is now soft in his earnest, eyes never leaving hers as he pleads for her to understand, to see what he has seen, “You have loved her long before now.”

The words seem to hang between them for a moment.

In his youth, Rohan does not know wisdom as many others do—he is wild and he is reckless, ever impulsive in the adventures of his heart. He has no clever, poignant words to offer her, no practiced methods of comfort to soothe her. He gives only his honesty, his insistence, and the simplicity of it all. She is certainly no monster. “Perhaps she was too good for this world—too pure to see its hate,” he shifts his attention to the frail, still figure of the filly, cradled tenderly in the soft, violet folds of spring.

He feels her press against him then, her slender frame curling into his own, and her hot breath billows across his skin as she reaches up to his face. She seeks comfort, reassurance, and familiarity, but even in this harrowing sorrow, the carnal ferocity of his mind cannot be tamed. It tempts him towards places that are likely not appropriate at this moment, and he tells himself that he cares about her fragility, her needy desperation and that it can be no more.

Her eyes fall and retreat just as his resolve begins to crumble. Relaxing from the tension he hadn’t realized had gathered within him, the Warlander exhales heavily from his nostrils, his eyes lingering to watch her face. There is silence for a short while, his heady breathes quieting as the heat slowly leaves his body, the wicked clouds of testosterone and lust lifting from his mind, leaving the same chill of grief behind. Finally, she murmurs a name—a name that brings a smile to her lips and a weak flash of light back to her eyes. “Quinn,” he repeats, tasting it for himself and offering a small grin of his own, “It is a beautiful name.” His touch trails to her cheek again, whiskery muzzle brushing away the wetness there.

But, just when he sees a glimmer of relief in her, a dark shadow descends. The stranger attacks Enna, verbally picking at her wounds like a vulture to meat, as if she already hasn’t been devastated. Rohan’s indignation flares and ignites into anger, rimmed ears disappearing into his thick mane as he thrusts himself upward, rising from where he had been lying next to the mare and confronting the beast directly. “Who the hell are you to question me?—to question her? His eyes are narrowed and teeth bared, long tail lashing out in the heat of his wrath.

He has met Caleb, however brief it had been, so he knows that this colorful buffoon isn’t the bastard who had abused Enna and thrown her to the wolves, but he sure isn’t painting himself a pretty picture either. Rohan scowls aggressively. Although he doesn’t quite realize it himself, the Warlander finally knows what it feels like to not be the biggest hot-headed, careless ass in the company. What a victory. “Explain yourself and your foolishness, or leave us; else you suffer dearly for your impertinence,” his voice has dropped to a hiss, and he steps forward, placing himself pointedly in between the stallion and Enna as a buffer. He usually isn’t the type to play hero and save the damsel in distress (he’s likely the one putting her in distress) but today, he’s sure as hell willing to make an exception.

“Speech.”

rohan
image credits | @Enna
@Misael

There was nothing to be done—nothing could have changed this. I know what a terrible parent is, and Enna, you couldn’t not love this child even if you wanted to. Look at yourself, you have loved her long before now.It is too little, too late— but you silence your argument, allowing for him to give you the comfort that you so very desperately crave, your will to fight what is so glaringly obvious all but lost. And so your sobs turn to whimpers and soft gasps, gasps to breaths as you once again ease against him, drinking in his warmth, listening with a stillness as he speaks of her, making you wonder, briefly, how she would have been. If she would have loved, how she would have laughed, of the beauty that would have followed her all of her life—before it becomes too, too much, and you wrench from the thoughts, the images, the emptiness. Lips move to speak, but it is another’s harsh voice that fills the void, snapping your head up to see what pompous asshat thought it so perfectly fine to drag his sorry carcass—

“Misael?” You cannot hide the hurt that lingers underneath, smothering your anger, as you look up, recognize the blue-marred face, those sunflower eyes, so cold when held against the memories that flood your mind, all of him, all of the small little moments that meant more than they ever should have. You cannot hide the way that you wither at his words, the way that they cut through you, your heart too raw, too defenseless, to feel, to comprehend his hurt and the way that he bleeds, because of you. It is only when Rohan stirs that your eyes break from Misael’s frame, spine trembling as his voice resonates, his anger swelling too terribly quickly. “Rohan,” it is graceless, the way that you climb back to your feet, sway with the dizziness that grips you suddenly, hair uncoiling in waterfalls as it frames your face, stray pieces sticking uncomfortably despite all the sweat having dried up.

Tender lips finally press to your sandstone man’s shoulder, a silent plea for him to stop, a promise that everything would be alright. Without hesitation you step from the shadow of his protection, step pointedly towards the man that is nothing more than a stranger in this moment, shielding her from those golden eyes, eyes that know nothing and presume too much. You had thought you knew him, once, thought that he had loved you enough to understand you in turn, but maybe, for the thousandth time, maybe you had been wrong. It doesn’t matter now, none of it, when his heart is steeled against you, blinded from a truth that he will never know. And so you do the only thing you can do with all of his rage, surmising the remnants of your strength, throwing it back at him, as blind as he is to the damage that you will no doubt cause, wanting only for him to disappear, for those eyes to leave you because all they hold is hurt, because his heart, all of your regrets, all of this is more than you can handle:

“What is it that you want to hear?”
I’m sorry—I know nothing will ever be enough—

“That I made a mistake?”
I never wanted this,

“That I fucked someone and you never even so much as crossed my mind?”
I never wanted to hurt you.

“That this is punishment for my (I was never yours, never his) betrayal?”
But she is gone.

“It does not matter. Believe what you want, take from this what you will—”
She is gone—

“But do not do this here. It is the only place that I will ever be able to remember her.”
and I have nothing left to give.

Tears line your tired eyes by the time you fall silent, and you blink hard to keep them from falling, vowing that the cuts that he had made would remain unknown, like so many things, to the man that you once trusted, the man that once knew you better than you knew yourself, was once someone that you didn’t think you could bear to lose. Maybe it would change in the future, when you are too old to hold on to your anger any longer, when there is nothing left of you to guard, when you are too lonely to even think about being selfish anymore. But that is not now. Now you only want him gone, only want one more moment, one more look, at your daughter, at the piece of yourself clutched in her tiny hands. A backwards glance is the only acknowledgement that you give Rohan, another plea, before turning back to Misael, body trembling once more, the act of standing, of thinking, of breathing so very exhausting.

@Rohan
@Misael

Misael Posts: 97
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 HH :: 7 years HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Lazarus :: Melanistic Lion :: None ShadowMare
Let me in
I'll show you how the world really is

Crack. Miseal was no more. He had been replaced by a monster, the beast that had only run free once before was now dancing wickedly in caramel lanterns. Miseal feared nothing but this, this was the only thing that he truly did fear. He had to leave, now. Before he did something he never meant, hurt someone he never wanted to be hurt by his hand, did something that was unforgivable. All this was just a wrong move away, the beast that walked in a striped shell was unpredictable, sinister, despicable. He was capable of ripping out jugulars, but what was worse, was that this monstrosity was capable of destroying one's sanity. He could drive those so deep into a blackened abyss,  that their return would only mean their death. He had to go. 

He remembered now, the memories quickly flooded his thoughts. There was blood everywhere, and as he looked down, he saw the golds of his hooves covered with the crimsons of others. This was the part of his childhood that he wasn't supposed to remember, he wasn't supposed to know what he had done--and what he could do. He realized now that this childhood accident was no accident, no. It was a plan manifested under the works of his parents, who their faces he didn't even recall. But their voices haunted him now, crying out for him to contain himself, for the sake of himself and her; Enna. He snapped out of his delirium then, as her name was all he could think of. The chromes of the sun refocused on Enna, shielded by the golden boy who was much better for her then he could ever be. Monsters didn't deserve happiness, companionship, Miseal deserved to be alone. It was the only thing that seemed right. 

The creature pinched his eyes closed, one could see the deep pain beneath them before he covered it up with blue veils. He blocked out the words of the antlered stallion, as he begun to turn away from himself, his beast, Enna. If he was no longer of matter to the moon draped fae, the least he could do was protect her for one last time. Never would he have guessed that it was from himself. He saw her, crippled in the sands as the world became too much for her to bare, and then he saw himself, ever-viligant, laying beside her. A knight in the disparity that was her fears and pains. It meant nothing now. Go Miseal. Leave. And never turn back. Before he turned to leave, he asked a simple question, words stale, cold, icy, unreachable and distant. "Who did this?"

His departure wasn't as easy as hoped. Eyes flew open as the buck spoke again, and in that moment, the strongest of containments were now useless. Miseal didn't have anything left in him to fight--this was a war that he was not prepared to win. He let himself go, against his desires, Miseal was but a mammal stuck screaming in a shell stolen by his own demons. His eyes narrowed as the changed monster slowly turned, his muscles tensing with an anger not of this world, an anger that didn't belong in this world, or in him. 

I'm sorry you have to see what I never wanted you or anyone to see.   

"I do not need to explain myself to you." He spoke then with chords no longer of a hiss, but rather a venomous strike, lethal in it's traces. "-And, because you wanted to know. I am Miseal, and I can question any low life man that I wish. You do not scare me boy."  He fumed, his chest was swelled with the rage that danced and cried within, his nostrils flaring and eyes wickedly dangerous. His ear twitched at the sound of his name on her lips, there was no anger about it, no hatred. Only pain, pain that he caused. How was it possible that she did not match the anger that ran within in his veins he did not know, neither did he care. She meant nothing to this Miseal. Not now, not ever. 

Enna exploded then, each sentence inflicting more and more pain, anger, brokenness into the pair. If he was himself, Miseal would've backed off, would've realized that Enna was destroyed, and that he needed to just go. To leave her and the man who had replaced him be, let them wallow in their pities, which were completely allowed, and never turn his crowned head back to the antlered mare who was too good for him. Life wasn't that easy though, and this side of him would not just let it go, no matter how hard the real him wished differently. 

"Remember this then."

Oh no. Oh yes. His boiling blood did not calm, and his orbs easily shown his thoughts. Gold clashed with the paleness that was Enna's moonlit lanterns, and then a sinister smirk dripped off his lips as he looked at the body of the foal. He strided towards her side, the corpse's eyes closed, dead before she got to see the lights of the world. No this isn't who I am, no, don't do it. Miseal fought with himself, trying to control a side he had met only once before. 

But this is who you are. 

And with that, Miseal lowered his head, grabbed the foal with his teeth, it's limp body dangling in blunt dentures. He didn't hesitate, but only looked within the whites of Enna, to see her reaction as her legacy was tossed away with the lips of a monster. A smile was easily seen underneath the black fur that filled his mouth, monsters weren't those who hid in the dark, no. Monsters were those who weren't afraid of the light of day, they were Miseal. The beast peered once more in her windows, he could see the tears that threatened--and did-- spill from those pale gems, and he resurfaced again. He was him again, well, some version of him. Not even the once untouchable Miseal could return from the darkness unscathed. That was the thing about the dark side, it changed everyone. You would be lying to yourself to think otherwise. 

It all hit him at once, his golden orbs lay shattered, broken and confused. His brow furrowed, as he looked around, lost in his dwindling anger. Oh god. Instantly the filly dropped from his mouth, falling in a heap at his feet. He couldn't look at her, he couldn't see what he did to her, couldn't look at the buck to see the surprise and anger, couldn't look at the man that should've been him. How did you allow yourself to do this to her? Especially now? Miseal knew, maybe better then any other that Enna was a basket case, she was already unstable underneath the strains of her past, her present, her future, and he allowed himself to release something unearthly, now? 

Miseal dared raise his eyes from their place on the ground, he backed away as he mouthed two sincere words, his voice not able to reach him. 

I'm sorry. 
I'm sorry for the pain I caused, for all that I've done. 

He turned slowly and sadly, pillars extending as he walked back to where he came. The shadows slowly absorbed him, as he left the casualties where the obstruction was to be no more. He was to be no more.

"Talk?"

image credits

living like we're
     r e n e g a d e s
The stallion’s muscles are coiled, taught, and flexing beneath his hairy skin, eyeing this thick-headed brute with a contentious glare, his head snaking threateningly to the point of his shoulders. The last thing that Rohan wants to do right now is talk. He is all too often an impulsive and reckless character, habitually following the hunch of his gut and intuition of his inner drives on first instinct, and leaving the consequences to work themselves out at a later point. It has seemed to work out relatively well for him in the past, and right now, the fire and tension in his muscles scream at him to just—attack. Fight and conquer this buffoon of an opponent.

With his brown lips curling into a derisive sneer, the Warlander scoffs openly and heartily at the imbecile’s—Misael’s—comments. “I wouldn’t listen anyway—” the green of his eyes narrow aggressively, and he allows an air of haughtiness to leak into his carriage as he flaunts his crude honesty, his scathing sneer deepening before he continues, “I find that I generally have little patience for rotten miscreants like yourself.” Rohan’s dark-rimmed ears flatten further against the back of his neck before he gives a dismissive toss of his head, the unruly billows of his thick hair framing his rugged features, and he thrusts his jaw boastfully toward the other male.

“But you do owe an explanation to her! The sharp points of his antlers tilt roughly in the brown mare’s direction somewhere behind him, the words seething like venom across Rohan’s tongue as they are spit from his lips. He doesn’t want to see this brutish fool anywhere near Enna (Rohan does not yet understand what this is, this feeling, this drive, other than protection—he cannot yet fathom from what depths of his heart and soul such efforts originate, propelling every fiber of his being with a burning, reckless, and nearly unexplainable need to guard and defend and keep), but he forces himself to compromise that, perhaps, she deserves it herself.

The antlered stallion breathes heavily from his nostrils, green eyes so fixated on the other male that he nearly misses his name falling from the mare’s lips, one of his ears rising in a small response. The broad skin of his shoulder twitches at her touch, a moment passing before he is able to tear his eyes away to look at her, knowing already what he will see there, and rebelling against it. No, his mind tells her, tells himself, begging her to not do this. He doesn’t back down—he couldn’t back down—but he allows the little mare to step around him, breaching the buffer that he had set for her, and prays silently that she will not suffer for it.

However, his worry is quickly abated when she speaks—sparks igniting into fire as they flash from her tongue, creating an inferno that—quite plainly—swells Rohan’s chest with pride. Good for her. It isn’t necessarily the physical retribution that Rohan craves, but even so, he had not expected Enna to explode so boldly—so fiercely.

Unfortunately, her fires seemed to have kindled others—far more dangerous flames.

Rohan’s hard gaze narrows once more as he eyes the foolish twit, suspicion lacing into his expression when the animal moves. “NO—!” He roars furiously, pivoting on muscled flanks and charging, but he is not fast enough. Pale hooves dig into the soft earth as his motion is suddenly ceased, muscles clenching violently in his shoulders, anger and indignation combusting across his entire body to flare treacherously in his eyes. “Drop her,” the Warlander’s voice drops to a dangerous hiss, an open threat, his eyes never leaving the other stallion’s face as he dangles Quinn’s tiny, frail body from his teeth. Rohan does not care to hear any more from this pitiful wretch—there will be no apologies, no forgiveness, and no mercies. He is not a character of morality, and he cares little for manners.

This bastard deserves nothing.

The moment he sees the fragile filly’s body fall from the brute’s clutches, the antlered stallion is on the move. He thrusts his large body forward, lunging for the colorful buffoon with wild eyes and bared, hungry teeth. “Get out of here you filthy bastard!” Rohan snarls viciously, snapping his jaws together with a brutal growl. He would likely hunt down such a dastardly creature, but there are more pressing matters that cling to his attention. He will have his time.

Forcing himself to a halt and snorting contemptuously at the receding figure, the Warlander turns back around, returning at a trot to the little brown mare with sweeping strides. “If I ever see his gaudy, pathetic ass near you again, I’ll beat it into the ground,” he mutters this more for himself than for her, but it is a promise all the same, and he intends to keep it. Clenching his jaw together in his effort to “cool down,” Rohan breathes slowly and closes his eyes in a long blink before searching for Enna’s gaze. “Are you alright?” There is a hardness that lingers within him, a roughness that makes his question more clipped than intended. Attempting to soften, he lowers his head to hers. “I’m sorry Enna, you shouldn’t have had to endure that, especially now…” his deep voice trails into silence, knowing that there isn’t much more than can be said; it isn’t him that needs to atone for the affliction against her, after all.

Pausing for a long moment, Rohan presses his nose gently to hers, far more comfortable to comfort her this way than with words. However, there comes a point when he can no longer ignore the question that bites at him, stinging (and for what? Why? Why should it matter?) at the forefront of his mind. Releasing a long and weighted breath, he pulls back from her slightly. “Who was he?” To you.

“Speech.”

rohan
image credits
@Misael @Enna

Remember this then.

His intentions do not even cross your mind, even as he presses closer to you, to her, the smirk that pulls at his lips causing nervous goosebumps to prick your skin, muscles to tense. It all happens too fast after, a foreleg thrashing outwards at Misael as you see his head drop, only to lose sight and knowledge of anything but the body dangling limply from his mouth, turning your blood cold, seizing the function of your heart..

Remember this.

It is all you can do to keep breathing, slowly, painfully, your eyes wide as he looks to you. It takes a moment to notice the smile that creeps along his dark lips, your daughter’s flesh between them, as if he’s enjoying this. It is numbness that you feel, or maybe too much of something to process, as the seconds drag and your eyes begin to wander to his, to the emptiness that echoes inside of them. You must have started crying, despite yourself and what meager strength and want of not giving him the satisfaction of seeing you break remains, because your vision of him blurs and there is a distant feeling of something trailing down your face, warm and wet.

Remember.

The flicker of recognition then, the pain that harbors within his eyes just for a moment. The quiet thud of her body against the grass. The way that he mouths I’m sorry— but does not even have the balls to actually say it. Fuck you,” you screech finally as he turns to run and Rohan explodes next to you and after him, your voice breaking, spine quivering with the anger that festers inside of you with nowhere else left to go. Whatever is hidden within the remnants of his anger, whatever shards he has dug into his own heart in hurting you, you hope he fucking suffers for it.

If I ever see his gaudy, pathetic ass near you again, I’ll beat it into the ground.’ The sound you make is caught somewhere in between a laugh and a sob, your eyebrows pressing together in confusion as your tears come harder but your anger diminishes, your soul feeling as if it has been riven in two. You do not seek his gaze as he searches for yours, though you can feel his eyes on you, do not flinch at his harsh tone, your mind so lost that it barely even registers. “No.” As he apologizes you shake your head idly, refusing to accept it because he had done nothing wrong. It was not his doing that has shaken you to the core, not his betrayal that stings so hotly with every breath.

Who was he?
Someone I held too close to me.
A mistake I so hope is not repeated with you—to lose you, it would break me entirely.

“It doesn’t matter.” You look to him then, blinking in slow understanding, his eyes full of apologies that are not his to give, a rage that is not his to bear. A smile is all you can muster, quiet in its own nature, a brush of lips across his own, a moment of silence passing before you draw another breath. “He is nothing to me now.” That was not the man you knew, however long ago that night truly was, so inconsequential in the face of what love (affection? concern?) you bore for him. You do not remember, cannot recall as the memories, so bittersweet, so ruined come to you unbidden—that beach, the sand, the way your tears mimicked the taste of the ocean, him, him him and his touch, his breath, all those tender things that you shared—nothing, nothing in the wake of his destruction. Nothing in the shadow of his disapproval, these evil things that he has done; nothing kindled to the feral hatred (so new, so unfamiliar) that blooms so heavy in your chest. That was not the man you knew, and still, it does not matter.

“Help me bury her.”

@Rohan
@Misael