the Rift

[PRIVATE] But this I will suffer not

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik

Memories of that giant bear tearing through the sky plagued him at night, though it could not be said he was afraid. What had frightened him was that spectral armor, that being of cloth and metal, personifying his childhood terrors. No - demonic gods did not so much unsettle him as a simple undead corpse. Torleik found this impossibly amusing in a black humor sort of way, and wondered why it was, then, that he dreamed of the bear god and not the draugr

Perhaps because he felt the painful boils he was currently experiencing were a direct result of the interloping deity. In reality, it didn't much matter, but his dreams had a consequence of making that battle rest in the forefront of his mind in nearly every waking and sleeping moment - and with that came realizations about the chaos he'd been suddenly and violently thrown into. Certain events he'd witnessed but dismissed as irrelevant in the moment, faces he'd recognized, actions he'd seen and praised or condemned. One in particular stood out and brought a sour taste to his mouth, prompting him to scour his herdland for one particular individual, a pegasus mare. 

He found her not. 

Excellent, considering she was not welcome in his land any longer. 

'Irelyn, come. I have someone for you to find.'

Curiously, his companion arced down from a treetop in a graceful line, settling on his haunches moments later. She was bigger now and Torleik wasn't sure he'd seen her grow much in the past season. Her plumage was thick and full, bright owlish eyes alert and ever voracious for anything placed in front of her, and her personality had shifted ever so slightly towards a more independent nature. In truth, he missed those moments where he could feel that Irelyn wanted nothing more than to come home and snuggle up between his shoulders to sleep, but it was good that she had matured. The world was a dangerous, hard place, and the more she could take care of herself, the less likely he was to lose her. 

'Who I finding?'

The Bloodskald smiled a little. Her speech had improved but was still not perfect, and he didn't know if it would ever be. He didn't mind. It was...touching, the childish ways she still modified words every now and then. Providing a mental picture of the Helovian he wished her to track down, he felt her excitement light up. 

'Pegasus! Maybe I find her in the sky? Maybe on the ground. I find her, bring her back here?' she asked, chunks of speech coming in rapid succession. 

'Not here - the Thistle Meadow. She is not welcome in our home. She chose poorly in our last fight,' the king explained. 

'She the one who burned all the others for the big angry beast. Saw her do it, didn't know why.' She paused. 'Why she hurt us?'

'I don't know, Irelyn, and I'm not sure I intend to find out. But I do intend to revoke our offer of asylum for her and her family. I will not have a traitor, one who would turn so easily on her fellow Helovians, in our midst. An enemy at the gates is less formidable than a traitor within; such a man - or woman, in this case - will crumble a herd from the inside, and I will not have my kingdom threatened so early in its recovery,' the Bloodskald grunted, seeking to explain some manner of politics to his owl-griffin. 

'They're always dangerous?'

'Always. Now go. Find her, and bring her to the Thistle Meadow, and inform me when you are nearly there. I will meet you both. Be careful,' he said gravely, worrying for Irelyn, but having faith she would complete this simple task. 

Some days passed, every evening his companion reporting no sign until one afternoon she gave a terse message that her quarry had been found. It was another rise and fall of the sun before Irelyn claimed they were close, and the King of the World's Edge made his way to their meeting place, napping briefly to refresh his mind and - he hoped - ease some of the pain of these damnable boils. Not a regal sight to be sure, but the cause was beyond him and had to be tied to the battle of the gods. He'd contracted the boils only after the fight. 

Banishing such thoughts from his mind as two figures came into view, Torleik prepared himself for this. It likely would not go smoothly, but it had to be done. He had to protect his herd. 

@Aurelia

OOC: Torleik sends Irelyn to find and summon Aurelia to the Thistle Meadow.
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
AURELIA

A fucking weird ass bird thing had come to me. At first I ignored the thing, who liked griffons anyways? But after a long 10 minutes, I realized this thing was here for a reason. My eyes pin and I turn to it, snarling and begin walking away. Still, it is ever persistent and I end up following it. Why? I don't have anything better to do. My boils keep me from looking for anyone, keep me from finding my children and mate and infecting them. Some dark and twisted part of my broken soul hope the bird thing gets infected. 

We near Thistle Meadow, and by now my legs are burning, crying out from the pain of leaking boils with each step. An occasional whimper leaves my lips, but I promptly attempt to cover it up with a snort so no one knows I'm hurting.

We near a black stallion whom is familiar in my mind, but whose name has left me. Is he from the Basin? Was he there when Deodat challenged me? It doesn't seem like he was there, but then I remember. In the midst of my foggy, clouded, mind, I remember his name. Torlak. Or something like that. A smile does not grace my lips, for I know I have done bad. Most of Helovia hates me for siding with the bear, but I it is impossible to give less fucks than I do.

"There is no necessity to bring me here." I say plainly, only pointing out the obvious. I wasn't even in his herd, so what gave him the thought he could summon me so easily? If it had been a different day, I wouldn't have come. I would've ignored the bird-cat hybrid thing, burned it. Griffon tenders, delicious.

I wondered if Torlak had been in the crowd of horses when I had tried to rip out the Moon God's hair. That had sucked. She teleported me to the Steppe, and it was not a painless process. It had felt as if every fiber of my body had been mercilessly ripped apart, then burned, only to be smashed together, then thrown into the cold wind of the Steppe. "Speak, or I will be on my way."

"Talking"
Image Credit

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik

Flying away from her bonded for days on end was not Irelyn's idea of a pleasant time, but she did feel important and useful. Torleik trusted her to find this dangerous person and she would make sure she didn't let him down. When her quarry was discovered, Irelyn sent a thrilled mental message back to her four legged bonded, informing him of her success, and the warmth she felt at his pleased pride in her made all the time away from him worth it. She liked helping, liked making him happy. He was so rarely happy. Especially around Ophelia. Irelyn didn't understand how he could both feel so much joy and so much stress at the same time. Why was Ophelia so special as to give him so much trouble inside without punishment? The owl-griffin's concept of love was not quite formed yet, though she was learning. One day, perhaps, she would understand more fully. 

But today she was completing a mission, and became quite irritated when this pegasus tried to walk away. It snarled at her! Rude! With a displeased screech, Irelyn swiftly circled around and got in the stupid one's way again, trying to urge her to follow. She repeated this until success found its way to her, and the pegasus began following. Finally. Not that hard to cooperate, stupid one. Irelyn saw that this one had boils like Torleik, and wondered why. They didn't seem to affect her at all so she wasn't worried, but it caused her bonded quite a bit of discomfort; she could only assume this one was in pain as well, so she kept her pace slightly slower as a concession. Finally, they arrived at the Thistle Meadow and some relief relaxed the tension the bird-hybrid held in her little body. It was good to be back with her person. 

Unimpressed with Aurelia's opening (and arguable closing) of the situation, Torleik decided diplomacy had little sway here. "Protecting my herd is always a necessity. But as you say, I will speak: Your tenuous offer of citizenship in my herdland is revoked. I saw what you chose when the demon bear came through the sky and attacked, and I will not allow a turncoat in my home. Who is to say you would not make such a choice again on a whim, and challenge one of us as you did before to Kahlua?" Wincing from the boils, he nevertheless drew himself up taller. "Now." A tight grimace of a smile shifted his lips. "Be on your way."

@Aurelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
AURELIA

"Who is to say you would not make such a choice again on a whim, and challenge one of us as you did before to Kahlua?" The fuck. Hadn't we already been over this? Hadn't I told him that I had done that, didn't he say that was in the past? A scowl I marked onto my features, anger and confusion. I felt both of them crashing down on me in a manner that was anything, but gentle. The world wouldn't give me on break, couldn't allow me one happiness. No-- no, it's not that. I have never allowed myself to be happy, to go with the flow. I had always done something to fuck everything up. Still, I couldn't help but feel like everyone waited for me to fuck up. They all watch on the sidelines, eyes staring at me, devouring me, searching for all the small errors, anything to tell them to hate me. I cannot even express how I feel at this moment. Was it wrong to say that I felt somewhat betrayed, that the decision of if I can have a home or not is so easily taken from me. What stuck with me, though, was one nagging thought. He hadn't even let me explain, jumped to conclusions that weren't wholly true. It was like he pegged me as bad, then figured I was evil when I fought against the Time God. Torleik was trying to figure me out. The stallion would find himself way over his head, because I am more than insanity. I am damaged, broken, hurt, tossed away like a dirty rag.

I cannot fathom why my life has played out how it has.

Now, her one chance to live with her family is gone, like torn pieces of paper flying away on the warm breeze of Birdsong's grasp. I was never going to be with them. I would be forced to be alone in a world that scared me excessively. "You don't even know why!" I yelled at him, tears pricking my eyes. "You don't even know why..." I whispered now, the tears slowly falling down my boiled cheeks.

I wouldn't be part of the Edge. I wouldn't be with my family, nor see my companion's grave, nor hide in the mists when I get scared. It wasn't hatred that brewed in her gut, but a sort of intense, burning, sadness. My nubby, hairless tail (thanks, Moon God) wags behind my golden ass as my mind conjures only one thing to say, one statement. "Fuck you." I spat, but not with hate, but my confused, bitter, sadness. 

Did I still even want to live in the World's Edge, even if the leaders were like this stallion? You know what, I do. My desire to live with my family succeeds any ignorant act one naive leader commits. Still, he is large and muscular and presumably a master war machine, and I am a simple ex-Seer. Normally, I would burst into a brilliant symphony of orange, red, and yellow flames and attack, but I don't. I fall.

I fall to my knees, then my ass falls. He's telling me to leave, to go away, to find somewhere else. But I don't have anywhere else. Where does he expect me to go? "YOUR THE ONE WITH A HOME AND A FAMILY! YOU LEAVE!" I shout, loudly, belligerently. I don't even know what I am doing anymore. I'm laying on the ground, yelling at a lead, mostly hairless and boiled-up, crying. I had been reduced to this a long time ago. Reduced to insanity. I can't get help, can't fix this.

When Shilva died, she took half of my soul. Does everyone really expect me to make good choices while running only on half of a soul? And they say I'm ignorant.

"Talking"
Image Credit

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.