the Rift

[OPEN] Finding the Light

Kalona Posts: 40
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 3 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
nickel

Everything had changed, everything had been destroyed, everything was different. What he had once known as normal was now foreign making this place seem like it was a lifetime that had passed since that portal had brought them all here. Would they ever be able to go home? Was there even a home to go back to? What happened to the others when that portal was closed? It was too hard to imagine considering only a couple days ago there had been only one world and now there was two. Would they ever get an explanation to what the hell had happened to change everyone's lives forever? 

Closing his eyes to the fading light he tried to piece things together so that something could be understood but soon gave up with a sigh. Its not as if there was much to go back to anyway, maybe this was all for the best. Before he had gotten sucked into the vortex life hadn't exactly been great but better than some had it. He was not the kind of soul to despair about things that could not be changed, it was just easier this way. If you believed that things were all doom and gloom chances were you were going to run into many misfortunes along the way. Life was exactly the way you made it either you fit in, or you didn't there was no middle ground where he had come from. Sacrifices were a way of life and it was better to get used to it before it had a chance to bother you. When you had nothing to lose but your life your choices got much easier without having to worry about consequences. 

Slipping into the salty tide a soft groan left his throat as every last wound on his battered body began to throb painfully. "Damn fucking bear" he muttered to himself as he gritted his teeth to get through the agony. This had become his nightly ritual ever since that first battle between what seemed to be the whole damn land and their not so godly winter bear god. It was the best solution he could come up with given what he had to work with here in the middle of nowhere. Normally wounds would just be left to heal on their own but the extent of the acid burns to his neck and body had been quite severe making him think better of leaving them to heal as they pleased. It took quite a number of minutes before the cold water managed to numb most of the pain but he was thankful when it did. Relaxing to some degree he let his mind slowly slip away until the sparking of nerves in his feet told him it was time to get out of the cold water before he lost all feeling in his feet. Heaving his half frozen carcass out of the ocean he shook himself off before proceeding to walk the length of the beach to regain some feeling in his muscles. 

•• TAGS: Anyone •• NOTES: -- ••

“Just because you call an electric eel a rubber duck doesn't make it a rubber duck, does it? And God help the poor bastard who decides they want to take a bath with the duckie.”
Table by Moonstone Designs

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan
LACE
Turn the page I need to see something new

Spring was upon them, but there was still a biting chill lingering in the wind. Frost plagued the nights as winter made a last ditch attempt at hampering the progress of the seasons, but with each passing day its grip weakened further. Still, even though the sun had thawed out the ice from the western oceans, who in their right minds would go for a swim at this season?

Lace watched the foreign unicorn with disbelief and mingled admiration - it was the best he could do when faced with such unbelievable bravery. He chose to call it that, instead of using more.. eh... colorful words. Because either he was a daredevil of never before seen proportions, or he hailed from a place that made the harsh winters and scorching summers of Helovia's vast landscapes seem soft and cozy. Quite possible, but what were the odds?

"That looked... refreshing" he said and dared a friendly smile at the nameless braveheart, too curious of such a stout swimmer to simply pass by without addressing them. "I prefer to wait until the ice has actually melted before getting wet myself... You're not from around here, are you?"

His interest was genuine as he eyed the sand-colored stag, who seemed little more than a colt to the aging man. Couldn't be many years older than his own son, which meant that he was out there alone at far too young an age. Lace, the stallion who once had lost his temper and shoved a filly for calling him pretty, felt his paternal instincts awaken full force and felt quite similar to one of the woodland hens that kept clucking and squawking in worry over the row of chicks behind her. In equal worry and concern the grulla looked the boy up and down, checking for signs of mistreatment, injury or other blemishes.

When he found them - it wasn't even all that hard to be honest - he winced sympathetically.

"Ahh, that looks painful. You ought to have someone take a look at those, before they become infected. Salt only helps so far."

And at once it was clear as crystal to him why the kid had braved the icy waters of spring for a dip. Not idiocy - intelligence and courage.

This was getting better and better. He was on the market for traits like those...

coding by tamme | Image by patriota--studios @ DA

@Kalona - yup, crashing. And recruiting. lol
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

nickel

By the time he reached the far end of the beach most of the tingling numbness had faded from his feet but with it the numbness keeping his burns from throbbing was fading away as well. Why couldn't it have been normal blood? Oh of course, it was because he was in some strange forsaken landscape where gods seem to spring from every corner. Then again it could have just been due to the fact that their god was an ass, ya that might explain it. Turning to the sound of hooves his eyes found... wait for it.... another stranger! Not as if he wasn't already surrounded by them so this was no big surprise unless he was a complete moron with half a brain. Then again even then he would probably know he was a stranger perhaps a better example would be a dodo. No matter how intelligent they are when one decides to start running towards a cliff they all start going and splat they go. How they somehow survived in the world he had yet to discover.

Unperturbed by stallion's approach he regarded him with mild curiosity as to what he might want. Listening as he spoke a humored snort left his throat at the mention of the water being refreshing. Ya it was refreshing alright unless you stayed in too long and lost a few parts. " One could call it that I suppose." he mused thoughtfully. "Taking a refreshing dip not something most from around here do? If that outs me as a stranger I would hate to know what else you all believe to be strange."

Taking the few seconds silence as an opportunity to assess his newest acquaintance he couldn't help but notice the odd markings the stud possessed. Not wanting to pry he just pushed it aside knowing that everyone he had seen so far had been different in their own way. Many oddities had been observed during the battle but few had actually stuck around to be very memorable when up against the battered and bloody bodies. Those were always a reminder as to the very thin line they taunted daily between the living and the dead. "They could be worse." He replied with a shrug not wanting to be seen as disadvantaged or weak in the eyes of this stranger. One could never be too trusting in times like these when you had no idea what lay ahead of you. In his opinion if he wasn't dead and all the parts still worked his body would recover eventually, the pain was just a reminder that you were still alive and kicking. "As you said I'm not from around here which makes it a little harder to know north from south nevermind find someone who I can guarantee won't make it ten times worse." He commented not trying to be rude but rather just telling it like it was. One didn't exactly walk through the forest and find a stranger to treat a disease when you don't know what disease they might be giving you.

•• TAGS: @Lace  •• NOTES: Glad to finally have replies :) ••

“Just because you call an electric eel a rubber duck doesn't make it a rubber duck, does it? And God help the poor bastard who decides they want to take a bath with the duckie.”

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan
LACE
Turn the page I need to see something new

Oh, to be young and proud again! Though truth be told Lace was quite glad to be done with the raging hormones and the feeling that everyone was out to get him for something. The smile on his lips softened but lingered even after the snappish, almost crude retort, his patience a vast ocean compared what it once had been. He had a son around that age; he knew how to handle teenage tantrums and insecurities.

"Oh, we do indeed" he assured easily, glancing at the darkening waves. "But though it seems green and lush here now, winter has just passed and the days are only just getting longer again. Not too long ago the ice lay thick on these waters - most are too tired of cold to brave the waves for another half season at least."

There was a compliment hidden within the statement, a gift wrapped carefully so as not to become overt and offensive. Lace was no boot-licker, but something about this young man appealed to his better nature, and so the gray wolf indulged him and stepped lightly, careful in his attempts not to fray any youthful nerves. But at the statement that it wasn't as bad as it looked, he stopped fooling around and snorted with a skeptic look as he eyed the wound. It looked like a burn, but had none of the scorched skin or charred edges where hair and flesh had melted and joined in sickening crusts. Instead it was more like... well.. almost as if something had etched its way through the layers of skin, far more destructive than any fire.

"I say you are lucky to be alive" he said shortly. "What did it? I can't recall ever seeing injuries like those before."

It was a statement that was worrying in itself, and it meant that he would have to get the story out of the boy somehow. A stranger with strange wounds... wouldn't that bring strange tidings to his home?

But first things first.

"You use what you have between your ears, I hear that. Being cautious is good, but sometimes you need to take risks too."

Lace took a step back and jerked his head towards the south and east, where the ocean turned into grasslands that billowed in soft rise and falls and drew a red-tinted line towards the horizon, barely visible now that the sun was going down.

"Would you dare trusting this old man? There is a herd residing to the south from here, a few days brisk walk and I could introduce you to someone I know there who can help you. She is a sweet girl, about your own age, and her gifts are strong and true. I know; I practically raised her." When he wasn't out running from his own demons, that is. And yet Tandavi kept smiling whenever they crossed paths, which made him feel even lousier of a make-shift stand in for her fathers. Madyrn and Maskan would not have approved, of that he was certain.

Still the tilt to the head was confident and challenging, daring the youth to accept or be branded a sissy for chickening out. It was a cruel game because Lace suspected what the answer would be... and so he made it a bit easier, a little less of a collar and more of an invitation.

"Along the way, perhaps you can repay my kindness by telling me about your adventures. With wounds like those I bet you have a lot of them."

coding by tamme | Image by patriota--studios @ DA

@Kalona

Uuh so this might clash a bit with timelines as I imagine this is set before the Labyrinth fight? Maybe they can get separated on the way or something and go to the Throat after the fight, or meet up with Tandavi after the battle for healing; she and Lace is set for a thread anyway and you're welcome to join if you so wish. :) Idk, you let me know; either way Lace is set on pumping Kalona on everything about the bear battle.
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

nickel

It was strange enough to find yourself hopelessly lost in a vast array of forest and all that came between but the hardest pill to swallow was the unknown possibility of returning home. While it wasn't such a big deal to one such as himself to others it would surely cause some problems. Home had never been more than a familiar stretch of land here and there, no one was missing him and there was nothing to go back to. Ever since he was young there had never been anyone in his life that had stayed for a long period of time. That wench that had been his mother was useless to him now just as he had been to her for the year she was stuck coming back to make sure is bony hide made it another day. As soon as it was possible she had exited his life and never bothered to look back to her huge mistake. At that age he did not understand why she kept leaving him behind but soon enough it became only a distant memory. Bitterness had hardened him into the beast he was today and honestly he was better off alone.

What the hell is this old stud babbling on about he mused listening to his words but not really making much sense of it all. Something about ice on the water and days getting longer? What did that have to do with anything that had been mentioned so far? Before he could think too much into the comment the topic changed sending them in a whole different direction. Why did someone else care what had caused his injuries? Only thing that matter was that the bastard was dead and gone to the depths of hell never to return. Sure the burns had hurt like hell and still did but what concern was it to this strangely patterned brute? Thinking for a moment he finally decided to answer the question but it was likely not what this dude was expecting. "Just a little bear blood. Its nothing really I have had much worse." He stated simply unsure how else to describe the disgusting corrosive properties their god had possessed. It wasn't all that strange to encounter things that spit acid or bleed poison should you pierce its hide. Well back home it wasn't uncommon... but maybe here things were different? What did they have cute fuzzy penguins with fangs? Apparently these inhabitants knew nothing about what lurked out there deep within the shadows, well if their worlds had crossed it was likely that they were not the only things sucked up. Great that would mean tracking down every last demon and essentially taking out the trash before this world became over run with the buggers. Not exactly what he had in mind but it was better than just wandering aimlessly not knowing where the hell you were. 

"Depends on the day really but considering there is nothing better to do, why not." He replied with a shrug. "So am I stuck just calling you old man or is there something else you go by?" he commented with a touch of humour thrown in there.  If he was going to be following this stallion around for who knows how long it might come in handy to know his actual name instead of his adoptive pet names. While a herd didn't interest him all that much one could never really go wrong with a girl and a adventure. 

•• TAGS: @Lace  •• NOTES: Sure if they get separated briefly that could account for the labyrinth and maybe Lace could find him again after the battle or something up to you..  ••