the Rift

[PRIVATE] and to that I hold

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

erthë
you're so cold but you feel alive

Like a whipped dog the child crept back to her mother. Father's stern gaze was like a firm hand on her shoulder, warm and concerned and strict. He had found her out there on the steppe, bruised and injured and endlessly tired, and now they had finally rejoined the rest of the small family. Erthë saw her mother's dark silhouette against the light of the rising moon and wanted nothing more than to run to her and disappear in the warmth of her embrace. But even from afar she could sense the cold, rigid anger of the mare, and so she approached carefully, humbly, with wings drooping from the shoulders and the tail a limp line dragging over the crust of snow.

Ah, how her limbs trembled. Fatigue and lingering shock of being wrapped up in battle had weakened her far more than any of their arduous travels across the frozen wasteland. Her belly was a gaping vortex, a black hole starving for sustenance... Would mother allow her to suckle though? Was her silence a sign of rejection, a denial of any responsibility towards such a disobedient child?

The filly stopped before her mother and slowly, fretfully gazed up at the stony expression. The beautiful amethyst eyes she loved so much gazed back without betraying anything of what was going on in her head, and as long moments of silence dragged on the foal began to tremble, tears rising hot and painful in her eyes.

"Mommy... I-I'm s-sorry!"

Stuttering she began to cry, helpless in the face of her most beloved ones' disapproval.

image credit

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

These past days had been one long nightmare of fear, anxiety and anger. For a second time her child had disappeared on her and Shadow had been unable to sleep when faced with the prospect of not being able to find either of them again. It was the last thing she needed right now. While Lena and Enna had worked wonders with their healing powers the black pegasus was still tired and weak, not in any state to move far from the northern stronghold. As it was unclear whether they actually were welcome within the herd or not she spent most of the time outside the herd land itself, close enough to run for cover if needed but otherwise out of their way. There were enough foraging to find even on the barren steppe, if you knew where to look, and it was quite possible to get by - if perhaps not as comfortable as it would have been within the shelter of the secret valley.

Now that she stood under the light of the spring moon and watched her lover and their child come back to her, her emotions were a torrent, a raging storm almost too strong to contain. It was all she could do to remain still and passive until they joined her in the sheltered depression of the tundra floor, hide her relief and love and wait.

It was much harder to withhold the mounting horror as her daughter came into view. The babe looked terrible! Dirty and tired and much too thin around the gut, with sunken eyes that seemed to have aged years in the two-three days she had been gone. She was stained with blood too, and there were horrible burns on her neck and face, and the eye, the weak, unseeing left eye! It was red and swollen and almost completely closed, and something transparent and foul leaked wet and glistening down the cheek that wasn't tears. It spoke volumes of the damage that had been done, and Shadow had a nagging suspicion that even if she went to Lena with the child, even the skilled mender wouldn't be able to save Erthë's sight.

She looked at the small, quivering girl and her heart bled for her. As the daughter began to cry, she felt tears rise in her own eyes and without a word the mare leaned in and scooped the hybrid into a tight embrace. Erthë winced as Shadow pressed her hard against the broad chest, but while the shadow mare eased the grip a little she still held her close, savoring the feel of the small frame, the icy cold skin, the heart that fluttered so feebly within the chest.

"You horrible child, don't ever do that again!" she whispered, voice breaking as the dam of emotions burst, flooding her eyes and spilling over down dark cheeks. "Do you have any ideas how worried I was? Look at you! Where have you been, what happened to you!?"

shadow

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

erthë
you're so cold but you feel alive

The shadow that then enveloped her was warm and she sank into it with gratitude filling her young heart. Would any place ever bring her as much peace and comfort as mothers embrace? It was hot, a bit too tight and a little embarrassing, yet nothing let her relax as much as this place of pure, unwavering and unconditional love. She had doubted while standing there alone, but now the filly was once again reminded that she was not on her own. She was a part of something bigger, and in her family she had allies more faithful than any she would ever find on any battlefield.

"So sorry mom, I'm so sorry" she hiccuped, voice muffled as she pressed the face into the soft fur of the chest. "I didn't mean to go so far, I j-just wanted t-to play..."

Spluttering and with broken voice she told her parents everything about the red forest and the battle of the gods that she had been enlisted in. She related how the Time god had known her name, how she had gathered crystals for him and how the Bear God had died, and of the blood that had burned her eye and face. She mentioned in passing the brightly colored strangers and the kind little Myrrine who had talked to her afterwards...

But no matter how much she wanted to, Erthë couldn't bring herself to talk about the butchering of the fallen god, or the way his body had been gifted to the fighters. It was too horrible, much too foul a deed to even speak about... So she left that bit out and let her mother's voice sooth her into stillness. It had never been more gloriously wonderful to be pampered and cleaned, and never had the hot milk from her mother's teats tasted better. That her mother kept shifting between scolding sermons and tearful hugs was easy to bear in comparison to what she had lived through, and it had never been so easy to promise to stay within sight and to obey her parents... because at that moment Erthë never wanted to go anywhere ever again.

She fell asleep after that. A deep, heavy sleep worthy of her exhausted mind. But the trauma of what she had seen would not let go so easily. Dreams made her twitch and whimper where she lay curled beneath the Blackbird's protective wing. More than once she woke with a start and stared around, frightened and wild-eyed. Only once she had confirmed that she really was home did she dare close her eyes again, drifting off once more to that battle beneath red trees, and the screams of the warriors as they fought and bled and slaughtered a dying god.

image credit

@Vadim - feel free to post if you want him to be filled in with what happened in the Blood Falls. I'll just keep posting until I get bored with playing by myself. x3

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~