the Rift

[OPEN] hunter-gatherer [patrol]

Badger Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Gelding :: Equine :: 15'2hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow
Seasonal patrol for the Throat! @Alala @Ampere @Misael
Hope it's okay I went ahead and made it!

THEY LIED WHEN THEY SAID THE GOOD DIE YOUNG

I cannot say that I am particularly driven to exploration. Maybe it is the fact I lack a stallion's urge to roam, or maybe it is simply my inbuilt laziness, but I tend to stay close to places I know. This means I have something of a conflict of interest with the patrol I have been assigned - I now have a duty to the herd, but I am also bone-idle. Still, I am trying to shed my bad old habits as I shed my winter coat, because it looks like I will be spending the forseeable future in Helovia. I know I need to change; I cannot survive here as the sedentary, selfish, cowardly horse I was accustomed to being when I had humans to cater to my every whim. Now I have to get up off my fat ass and do things myself. It has taken some getting used to, but I have managed to survive the long, cold winter, which is a start. Now, as spring blossoms over the landscape, it is time for me to be reborn as well, as Badger v2.0.

The first part of my change to be a better man has been the way I have taken to healing like a duck to water. When I helped Shadow give birth despite my fear, and when I trudged across Helovia with her family to ensure their safety, I felt a warmth in my chest that I'd never had before. A warmth that came because I helped. It was a good feeling, and one I became keen to repeat. Then the bear fight happened, and I aided Ashamin with my herbs; again came the warm fuzzies in my chest, and again I felt the thrill of being useful. Now, I walk around with herbs stuffed in my halter and countless stashes of them throughout the Throat, ready to heal the ass off anybody who gets hurt whilst in my general vicinity.

So deigning myself to patrol with the plebians is just the next stage in my development. Admittedly my enthusiasm, questionable to begin with, had waned somewhat when I had to wait by the land-bridge for three hours for somebody to let me through so I could leave the Throat - the absence of wings is draining for land-lubbing equines like myself. But I try not to let the delay dampen my hunger to fufill my duties, and I quickly make my way through Helovia to the uncharted territory of the Veins.

The sight of another godforsaken land-bridge makes me roll my eyes, but thankfully this one doesn't seem wont to disappear randomly and only open in the presence of someone with a key. Tentatively I walk across it, breaking into a trot just in case it chooses to poof beneath me and cast me into the ocean. My ears are folded half-back as I scan my new surroundings, drinking in the blue veins, the ominous volcano in the distance, the aura of power. There's not even a speck of grass in sight, and a land without food is not my kind of land.

I stand in the middle of the Veins, careful to perch on a piece of solid rock nowhere near the creepy blue lava. I lift my head and scan around for the rest of my patrol, hoping they arrive soon. I might be doing my level best to become a better man, but that doesn't mean I'm not still scared of my own shadow and most certainly do not want to be left here alone. ""

image credits

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

She had been flying ahead, and above. It was probably for the best, because this place did not hold good memories for the mare and her ire was already on the rise without any further aid from her own kind. It wasn't really they she was mad at (although also literally, because yet again she knew none of the members she was paired with), but that rationale wasn't always there when they ran around calling complains theirs then acted flabbergasted when she accused them of trying to own a life.

Sighing into the wind, Ampere wondered why she didn't just pull rank and switch with someone at a different patrol. Maybe there won't be anyone with a companion, she thought hopefully, but also bitterly. Maybe there won't be anything worth staying out long for... which was possible, given how busy the gods had been as of late with pulling other gods through rifts and such.

Well, time to find out. The veins loomed into view and she was forced to land, the high winds too treacherous. It seemed fitting the gods would force everyone to trudge up the precarious path, but Ampere was too familiar with it to feel as daunted any more. It didn't make the difficulty any less though, and by the time she crested the top she was sweating and puffing.

"Hey," she greeted the face of the herd member she recognized, but did not know. A smile found her, forced or not, because so far this one did not have a chained soul. "Anything exciting up here?" she asked with a voice that suggested she was trying to keep it light. Not really waiting for an answer she moved towards the shrine of their god, the Sun. Of all the gods she respected him the most, and sought his guidance in silent prayer.

L EAVE THE PAST BEHIND, WALK AWAY | AND THE CRACKS BEGIN TO S HOW

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Snow
Figured we'd best keep this moving even if nobody else posts :c

I look to my side as I see a pegasus mare land. I recognise her from the God fights, and she smells of the Throat - she also smells of electricity and power, and I feel myself shudder. At least I know I will be safe with her by my side! "Hello there," I greet, ramming my ears forward cheerily and beaming at her to hide my fear of this unknown place. "I'm Badger, one of the herd's Healers." As if the herbs stuffed in my halter hadn't given that away.

I cast a cautious glance behind me, but there doesn't seem to be a sign of any incoming Throatians. I frown. If I can bother my fat ass to come out into the back end of nowhere and patrol, then surely the rest of my group can, as well? Alas, time is ticking, and I cannot wait forever. At least somebody has arrived, and I begin to follow the spark-mare up the steep incline towards the series of shrines. Despite my improved fitness, I'm still blowing slightly and there's a gentle sheen of sweat on my glossy fur by the time I reach the plateau at the top. The high winds seem to be blowing directly into my face, as though deterring me from moving forwards. Being the stubborn man I am, I ignore the warnings and continue forwards.

Ampere stops by one particular shrine, a jet-black, scorched one. I prick my ears and edge towards it, and my nose automatically extends to touch it. However, at the last moment an unseen force presses against my chest, as though telling me that touching the block of rock is not a good idea. I frown, but obey. I look to Ampere. "What are these?" I question. I hate sounding stupid, but I genuinely have no idea what they are. My ignorance pains me, but there's only one way to garner more knowledge!

image credits

As Badger introduced herself Ampere glanced towards her, regarding the 'stranger' fully as the conversation pulled her out from her own inner thoughts and darkness. The armor the mare wore was peculiar, though Ampere supposed it could be magical and extend to cover her face when needed - but currently it didn't serve much purpose aside from holding her plants. What would a healer want with armor though? They're such a weird sort Ampere muttered to herself.

"Ampere, Gladiator and Chancellor," she greeted in return, that smile still proffered like a warm hand. She was quiet for a moment as they began to climb, but couldn't help but ask this as they trudged up top, "Why Badger?" she asked lightly enough, not meaning to poke any fun. "I mean the name. You don't seem to behave like a badger?" Of course Ampere didn't know much about the mare, but usually it didn't take long to know a badger's personality. It wasn't like her name was anything fantastic either, but for someone named specifically after a well known creature, there must have been a reason, right?

When they reached the top and Ampere made her way to the shrines, wordless prayers whispering past her lips, she hadn't even considered Badger had no idea what this place was. The mare's question knocked gently against her ears, begging for her camaraderie. Bowing her head to the Sun, Ampere finished her private sermon and turned towards the 'badger'. "This place is called the veins of the gods," she began, her voice rather plan as she spit out the information. "Each god has a shrine here, and used to be you'd come here to talk to one." She traced the shrine of the sun with her nose before shrugging away and standing closer to Badger. "The gods grew weary of all our mortal problems though, so they abandoned these Veins, and in their absence the shrines had cracked and crumbled. The wise ones of the herds are your best bet at talking to the gods now, but I think they still have ears here, listening every once in a while, and less often, answering."

She had seen the Earth here. Faintly she wondered if she might see the Moon...

*I know Badger's a gelding but Ampere thinks he's a mare :P

Misael Posts: 97
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 HH :: 7 years HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Lazarus :: Melanistic Lion :: None ShadowMare
Let me in
I'll show you how the world really is

Curiosity had burned it's way with Miseal through Helovia. He was almost certain now that he knew of all the lands, golden daggers had tread across each terrain. His first goal was achieved, and now his attention was to turn to his herd; the Dragon's throat. They had gained his loyalty and now he wanted to begin to show those of the throat what the colorful creature was capable of. His days of distraction and dillydallying might not be over, but this was a new start of an era for him, one where commitment wasn't something he could just brush off. Thoughts of his future filled his time as the brute strided to the vaguely familiar veins of the gods.

His burning embers followed the blue liquid as it seeped and oozed from it's chamber in the earth. The place never ceased to fascinate him, the history as rich as the azure auroras. He had come to patrol the area, a few others that he had never met before were to accompany him on his first task in the Dragon's Throat. He wasn't quite sure if he was early or late, time had passed him. As he wondered deeper into the godly domain, he caught sight of his accompanies. Which meant he was late, lovely. Nostrils flared as he took in their scent, tail slashing at his flanks. One was ebonite, with a face of ivory and tassels of coal. The males legs were dipped with white, and pieces of leather created a strange headdress on his face. The other, a mare, was also ebonite in color. Azure hues blended with charcoal on her body and a strange, lightning like mark painted her skin. Her ribbons were black with blue tips. Massive, black wing appendages sprouted from her back, completing her look. He would be lying if he wasn't slightly jealous of those of flight, to be able to experience the world at such heights made him envious.

After his eyes had finished their physical examination, ears perked forward as he trained his attention to the pair of equines in front of him; this would begin a more aggressive type of examination. The colored man was analytical, always wondering, always asking, always digging. With strangers there was no excuse, information was constantly gathered and organized behind the ibex horned skull of Miseal.

"Excuse my tardiness." His chords rang out, deeply masculine and just as enthralling. He had waited for the storm girl to finish her words before he had spoken, golden orbs eyeing her as she spoke. "You speak as if you have had personal experience, tell me, have you met one of the deities that reign over Helovia?" He asked, brow arching with an inborn curiosity. Only after he had spoken, did he realize he had yet to introduce himself. The horned dipped his head respectfully at the black and the storm girl, "Miseal."

"Talk?"

image credits

Snow
haha that's fine! It makes sense!

To my surprise - and, I'll admit, my pleasure - Ampere asks about my name shortly after introducing herself. I do like my name being remarked on. It's so clever, after all. Not. Seriously, I do like questions about it, as it gives me an excuse to talk about the humans and have a nice little rant about their naming abilities. "Because humans are the least imaginative creatures on the planet," I say cheerfully, flashing the small (and scary, now I know she's a Gladiator) mare a smile. "I am black and white like a badger, so they called me Badger. Had I been light grey I would probably have been named Snowy, or Coal had I been fully black. There were two barn cats named Tiger and Smokey - no prizes for guessing what colours they were." I suppose I can count myself lucky I didn't end up being called Zebra or Panda.

Ampere reveals that this place is called the Veins of the Gods, and on the topic of names I can see why. It's veiny, and there's probably Gods here. She explains that this is where one comes to speak to Gods, and I have to fight down the urge to ask why anybody would WANT to speak to a deity, when they're so frightening and would probably smite you down for looking at them funny. "Have you ever spoken to a God?" I find myself asking, my natural curiosity getting the better of me. Given the fact that the mare is armed to the teeth with all sorts of weaponry, and almost crackles with energy, I assume she's been in contact with Gods before.

At that moment, another of our patrol approaches. Oh my giddy aunt, he is huge. He towers over both of us and I smother a gulp. A deadly pair of ram horns curve from his head, and I dread to picture the neck strength that it takes to keep those bad boys up. He asks Ampere the same question as me, and also gives his name - Misael. "Hello, Misael, nice to meet you," I say, just managing to keep the fear from my voice. He is a herdmate - chances are, he won't want to gore me. "I'm Badger." I offer him a dip of my head, a flicker of my ear and a wobbly smile.

image credits

Humans? Hmm, Ampere knew little of them, but she did know of them. It was such old memories now though that she could hardly discern them from all the other fantastical creatures that lived outside the borders of Helovia. It was an interesting thing though, and might help fill the time on the trip back for them to compare notes of past experiences and past creatures they had known before this realm. Although, Ampere still couldn't fathom what a different species was doing deciding Badger's name. Still, her recounting of the naming process left Ampere with a slight giggle. "There might be some worth to the simplicity of it given all the complex ones so many have here, even myself." Ampere struggled often with remembering everyone's names, and she was sure part of it had to do with just how insane they were; so many different languages and dialects. She was certain she'd remember Badger's. "I'm not even sure what mine means... but I know I earned it from my father's sword. Perhaps he knew, but my mother didn't." Badger didn't ask, but Ampere felt inclined to elaborate after admonishing those with complex names, which she knew included herself.

Either way the topic shifted to more worth while conversation, and soon enough they were joined by one of their fellows. Ampere proffered the brightly colored stallion a node and a welcoming smile, though her eyes were sharp as she assessed his late arrival. Better late than never shown though - she remembered losing Kairi on a patrol, but this was a stud grown, not a child (but weren't they supposed to have a child too?).

To both their questions she nodded, a knowing look on her face and a twisted sort of grin that suggested she knew more than she told. "Met and spoken, yes, her thoughts drifted greedily to the Sun and their experience, one no stallion had ever matched again, understandably. She needn't go down the trail of lovers though, so quickly she diverted herself from promised heart ache at the thoughts of the men in her life and focused on the face value of their inquiry. "I'm sure our Diviner, Maren, and our disciples would know more if you're truly interested in the gods, but I have had some personal encounters." Here her features fell more grim, because aside from the Sun most had not been good.

"I spoke with the Earth here a few seasons past. I had questions about companions and how their bond works. He answered some things, but it's hard to say if I gained any clarity... it wasn't what I was hoping for at the very least." She knew, especially as she said it, that she couldn't blame the Earth god. It was easy to blame him, and she did, but in her heart she knew she shouldn't. That he answered her did not mean he alone forged the chains that linked the poor souls, and that he refused to see the merit of her explanations to the bond was no different from everyone else that shook their heads at her words. It was not the first time, or the last, that Ampere recognized just how infallible their celestial guides were. "He is... easy to talk to. He does not get as riled as his siblings - or us mortals." She glanced at his shrine, remembering how impassively he had listened while she raged, how he had been one of the first and only to stand like solid stone while she heaved herself against it. Her methods often earned her an equally responsive reaction, but not with him. It had confused her, tired her, and somewhere along the way, hardened her against him.

"Then there is the Moon, though I cannot say we have truly met or even spoken, but I have seen her." Again Ampere's expression remained shadowed with old pasts she did not fully divulge in. "You might have heard some talk already of the wave of murders that plagued the realm not so long ago... so many seemingly mindless deaths, all wrought at the hooves of our Sultan- Gaucho." The reality of it shuddered from her lips like a cruel melody. She closed her eyes, not sure if she was ashamed or spiteful or just mournful. Unlike so many she had not been personally affected by the deaths, but Gaucho's role did, and she had never really faced it or talked about it. When it first happened she vehemently stood up for him, and still did, but what did he feel of it? They never spoke, she'd been to selfish to do so. "His actions only served the Moon, who's control leeched into him without his consent or even his knowledge of the deeds. It was a true display of her power, and her ruthlessness, and it's no easy thing to say it terrified me. Throughout the land I dare say Gaucho is the strongest, and I think that's why she picked him, to show us just how much stronger she is." Ampere frowned, not for the first time feeling helpless, especially when facing the gods. "I don't fully understand her motives, but I know she provides balance to her siblings and her elements. Necessary might be too strong of a word, but she had reasons I'm sure." Ampere wished she knew what they were; all of Helovia did.

Her gaze had traveled away when she spoke of the Moon's horrors, but now she carried it back to them, and proffered a weak, apologetic smile. "I'm sorry to talk so much and about such cryptic, awful things. I will say though that the Sun I've encountered many times now. I am always awed by his brilliance, and it's to him I owe so much. Even longer ago the whole of Helovia was forced down into the Heart Caves." Ampere shuddered, unwilling to revisit those memories, however brief. To this day she still avoided the Heart Caves and often tried to switch patrols if she was due there. "Darkness and wraiths had overrun everything, but after a time and countless failed efforts, the Gods cleansed the land and pulled us from the bunker. The Sun led me home, to the Throat, when before I had lived wild. He crowned me Sultana, though I'm afraid he saw something in me I wasn't ready for..." she tried to offer an explanation as to why she wasn't lead now, but she didn't want to get into that either. Perhaps she just ought to start talking less. "Then he was there to assist the herd when Gaucho wished to make us safer. He gave us tasks to prove our worth and that's how we earned the magical bridge."

"I've never seen the Spark," she concluded, with no amoutn of curiosity in her voice.

Misael Posts: 97
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 HH :: 7 years HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Lazarus :: Melanistic Lion :: None ShadowMare
Let me in
I'll show you how the world really is

The beast's ear twitched at the black's reply, noting the strained tones that his greetings held. It seemed that Miseal had that effect on people, some cowered in fear and others masked the questioning his appearance brought about. He was, after all, a strange colored individual amongst so many of natural cloaked descent(well until the rifters came in and ruined his uniqueness.) Nevertheless, a small smile was his response, the ebonite's identity revealed to be Badger. Ampere welcomed him as well, features suggesting open arms but eyes of blue men]tioning her disappointment in his late arrival. It was what it is though, and he shrugged the look off with a quiet chuckle to himself. "Nice to meet the both of you."He said feeling it was necessary to say such common pleasantries, that he normally ignored. If Miseal wanted to be a better character, he had to work better at even the simplest of things. There would be no negative tactics like he used to use to gain fame, no blood shed, instead he would make an impact on this world with positive strategies. 

It had been illustrated that Badger and Miseal had tapped into the right place and Ampere released a waterfall of information. He allowed himself to settle into his skin, ears tipping back and lids dropping. He listened to her words, soaking in the information like the sea sponge that he was. Every once in a while, the creature's ear would twitch at the abrupt ending to her words. He could tell that she was telling vaguely all that she had personally experienced, and as a master of manipulation and a lover of stories, he wanted to know more. One day, at a more appropriate setting, he would try to poke and prod the answers of the unfinished tales from the coal mare of azure orbs. "That is quite an interesting story you have." He spoke, eyes reopening to reveal the orbs that burned with their golden strands. 

"One day I wish to converse with our deities, when the time is right- that is."  He said, glancing towards Badger to see his reaction. Was it one similar to Miseals; awe? Or was it just the inborn curiosity that was Miseal?

"Talk?"

image credits

Snow

The blue-tinged mare speaks of her own name, and I'm hardpressed to think of the meaning of it, too. Then, like floodgates, she opens up the lock to a wealth of information. I listen, as rapt as a babe learning about the world he lives in, my ears rammed forwards to drink in every word she says.

She knows a lot. Although she recommends I speak to Maren, I can't think of anything the tiger-mare would know that Ampere doesn't - she is a font of knowledge, and I drink willingly. Each fact I file away for the future, noting the descriptions she gives of each of the Gods, paying special attention to talk of the murderous Moon Goddess. Ampere thinks she chose to possess Gaucho because he is the most powerful creature in Helovia, and I am inclined to agree. He even outdoes Misael for levels of scaryness, and I can well believe that he is a master of war, a worthy tool for a Goddess to pick up and wield. "There is a companion bond? I assumed those little creatures simply acted as familiars to the horses they accompany, like I was a pet to the humans. What does this bond entail?" During the time I'd tried out for the egg Ashamin won, I had sort of picked up that there may be more to the desire for an egg than simply a little creature to trot alongside you, but it appears I badly underestimated it.

She then apologises, and I shake my head earnestly. "Please, Miss Ampere, this is fascinating. Don't apologise." I offer her a weak, but genuine, smile. She continues to speak of darkness and wraiths, and I suppress a shudder at that particularly unpleasant image. When she finishes by saying she has never seen the Spark, I can't help but give a small chuckle. "That is ironic, given your markings." I gesture with my leather-bound head to her lightning markings, which I would certainly associate with a Spark God. "You know a lot of Helovian Gods, Miss Ampere. Is it safe to assume you are a longtime resident of Helovia?"

Misael - who has introduced himself - reveals a desire to meet and converse with a deity. I force down another shudder. "Oh, I don't know about that. I have met just one God, he of the Spark, and although it was a time of great chaos, I could tell he was more powerful than anything I'd ever met. I know little of our deities, but I sense they are not to be trifled with." Meeting one face to face? I'd probably piss myself with fear.

image credits

They were both quite polite, a stark contrast to Ampere's manners, even when she was dealing with those ranked above her. It brought a soft smile to her lips, grateful to their ears and their patience, and their respect. Riding on the tails of that meeting, it did her loyalty some good.

Her head shifted though as Badger spoke of bonds. Anyone familiar with Ampere might have cringed, fully expecting her ire to rise to the surface in all its electrified glory, but the mare was as calm as ever. She did not hate the ignorant, just the willfully so. In fact she was rather pleased to see she had a potential student on her hands, one not yet tainted by the rest of Helovia and its greed. If she thought she was done talking, it appears she was mistaken.

"I wish it were so," she murmured, a heavy sigh befalling her nares. "I would find that much more fair than the current system the gods have put in place. No, these creatures, these companions, they are bonded to a horse's soul upon birth. The bond creates an inseparable link, even death often causes the same for the other." Anger might not have colored her tones, but a certain tough of sorrow did, her heart moved for those trapped souls that were beyond saving. "It's a beautiful thing to be sure... many of the lonely crave it, because you share your mind and all its thoughts with the creature and they with you. Similarly your heart and all its emotions run between the bond, influencing both horse and creature alike as each oh expresses something. All of it merging within the soul, for eternity... well, a mortal's eternity. It's said there is nothing comparable to it, to share yourself so wholly with someone and they you." She shook her head, her gaze having shifted from badger to stare off into the distance as if she were watching some old memory replay behind her eyes. Her meeting with the Earth perhaps, or any countless bonded she had spoken with.

"Yet, it is not as pretty as it seems, despite what others might say. I've seen too many fights to count where those companions are in the fray. They're smaller than us, meant to be, and though some possess magic it is no comparison to ours. Battles bring out strong emotions in us which in turn affects the companions, so while many bonded claim they never make the companion fight they certainly influence it just with their beating heart. Some are creatures born for battle, like dragons, but they are meant to battle their own kind, not us, and certainly not monsters and gods." She sighed, exasperated. Here her gaze returned to Badger, staring her down, needing some confirmation. "You saw what happened when those tried to attack the Moon Goddess? She is to us what we are to companions, what ants are to us. It's madness to treat those living souls as weapons." Yet, Ampere never understood this part - if the death of a companion often meant the same for its horse, why was everyone so reckless with taking them into battle? Shouldn't they at least bear armor like so many of the grand warriors, if not fight at all? Their small size gave them speed and agility but it also meant one well placed strike could end it all. It was insanity.

"What's more, the companion knows nothing of life, being born into the bond immediately. It seems like enslavement to me... even a prisoner kept long enough can come to love its captors, but that doesn't make it right." She snorted forcefully, that grief starting to edge away to rising anger. She caught it, not wanting it here, not for this. "The Earth told me some of them when we spoke. He said the companions and the horses choose when they bond, but I can't understand how a lifelong, irreversible decision can be expected to made by a babe. It's not like we don't all make mistakes, but we have the fortune of learning and growing from them...companions don't. The Earth said bonds were made long ago in an effort to protect these species, but I have yet to ever see a companion breed - how can they when they're with horses all the time and not their own kind, not even their own habitat half the time? It only seems like a fancy tool for horses, like magic or items, just alive, and no one else seems to care."

She wanted to respond to her comment about humans, about her elements belonging to the Spark, but her thoughts continued to tumble around the companions he so casually brought up.