the Rift

[OPEN] Blue Elephants

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

The ground trembled beneath bounding steps as the elephant slammed his large feet against the earth. It was not a pounding rhythm of canter or gallop, but a simple walk. Slight disgust, heavy hurt, and burning outrage weighted his hooves as they pounded the ground.

He found himself walking towards the Edge, towards home, towards solace. Or at least what solace he could find in his tumultuous head. Splash! Water? He blinked once as he looked around, eyes clearing from their emotional haze.

Where was he?

Burning blue gaze glanced sharply at the water’s edge he had breached. His glare then skipped over the trees and softly lit clearing. How. Fucking. Romantic.

Black tipped ears pin flush with his skull, eyes narrowing as rage bubbled in his chest. A thick leg struck out, sending a spray of angry droplets in a visible display of his inner turmoil. Turning, he struck out at the nearest willow- Crack- it split loudly under the violence of his hooves.

Usually moving, striking, training, working, doing made him feel better. It generally eased the weight of his demons. But not now. The burn of pain, of anger, of scorn did not subside. It ate at him, like all the burning fires of his past devoured all the good things in his life.

A great, disconsolate sigh escaped his thick lips as his mighty head fell. Lower, lower, until it his proud horn desolately brushed the water’s surface. Dejectedly, he leaned his gargantuan body against the very willow he had broken, splinters entering the thick skin covering his ribs. But he didn’t care. “Damn you,” his low, dispirited rumble rolled over the calm, amorous waters- directed at a masked mare that wasn’t even there.
image credits
- table by Niki -

ooc| He's coming from here, just to clarify his current mood XD

Please tag Tembovu.

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
Hope it's okay to throw her here! :D

"Usually when people come here, that isn't the kind of wood they have in mind."

The ironheart quirks a brow and cocks her head in the direction of the shattered willow, the innuendo dripping easily from her tongue. This, she knows, is the land of rutting, the land of lust and sating the primal urges of the flesh. She knows this not because she has visited here for that purpose herself, but because the place reeks of hormones. Hell, she practically got pregnant just stepping over the threshold. So to see a stallion - a handsome thing, who would have no shortage of eligible ass flung in his general direction if he chose to indulge - taking out his anger on a tree is rather odd to see. Nyx would expect him to be sating a different urge here, not the kill-it-dead one.

As she nears, the silver realises that she knows this man; he is of the Edge, seen in passing during gatherings and grazing. He also attended both God fights, like she did. It's only good manners for her to approach and keep him company, then. She doesn't know that many of her herdmates, which is a wrong she is keen to correct. She has to live with them, after all - she is a warrior, meaning she would give her life to protect them. It's only fair she gets to know who she is protecting.

Dominus prowls in the undergrowth nearby, breaking out of it to shoot the stallion a hungry blue-eyed look. "Lots of meat on that one," he observes, then growls as Nyx bodily shoves him out of the way. He shakes his massive mane then slinks his muscular frame off back into the foliage, tail swinging irritably behind him. The soldier looks from him to the antelope-horned male. "I'm Nyx, a warrior of the Edge. I believe we are herdmates?" She dips her head to him, obsidian horn sweeping towards the ground, before fixing him with her curious blue stare. "So, who pissed on your breakfast?" Her words are sympathetic, despite the somewhat vulgar nature of them. Nyx doesn't do open outpourings of emotion - she does cheery, humourous pick-me-ups. Somehow, with him being here, and the sheer depressed nature of him, she is hazarding a guess that it's mare-related. And Nyx, in her eyes, is the perfect way to show him that her gender aren't all asshats.

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

An ear and eye flick in the direction of a voice. A deep but feminine voice saying something witty and humorous. Something that he normally would have laughed at, found amusing, and replied to in playful banter.

But, in his self-pitying and irritable state, only the barest of lopsided smiles passed over his broad face. He sighs, unsure if he wants (or trusts himself) to be around another currently, especially a mare. Even a mare who has not crossed him- one he does not even know. He’s a trained soldier, so he does not think he will lash out, but he is also a stallion with layers of horrendous memories and a vengeful heart.

“I believe we are herd mates?” at her words he finally raises his great head, loosely spiraled horn leaving the water’s surface. Blue eyes, still burning with tumultuous emotions, sweep over to the mare. A herdmate? Indeed, she looks vaguely familiar. He had seen her at the herd meeting. And a warrior? He felt something shift in him. Warriors could be trusted, generally. They were black-and-white, no nonsense (usually). For there’s no space for nonsense on the battlefield.

At her next question, another lopsided grin crosses his broad muzzle- this one lasting longer than the first. He appreciated her tone- straightforward but sympathetic. The elephant did not want saccharine sweetness and pity, for the rage he felt in his barrel would burn it away with caustic words.

“Yes, I am the Glazier of the Edge,” his deep voice finally rumbles, his words clipped though he continues speaking, “And yes, I’ve seen you at our lands.” Usually, he does not tower over others and refrains from staring down at them. But all of this is not ‘usual’ for the elephant, as he sits tensely at his great height, blazing navy eyes boring into her own, piercing blue ones.

Vaguely, his brain appreciates that the mare is striking, her body appeasing in it’s athletic grace and contrasting tones. And her eyes practically glow in her defined face. And, also vaguely, his body responds to the amount of pheromones floating about in this gods forsaken place he had stomped into.

But he didn’t notice. And he certainly didn’t care, for the hurt heart is so much more powerful than even the needs endowed by Mother Nature. So these hazy observations and dim urges remained lost in the back of his mind.

But he did answer her question, words flowing vehemently and before his brain could filter them, “A mare of the Basin lied to my face, with her back still warm from my gods damn barrel! And the colt, Alexander,” he spat the name, “to have the- the depravity to force a mare- my Rex- to be his whore-“ he cut himself off, for with each word he could feel his rage boiling, his muscles growing, his vision going red. Sometimes venting is cathartic, but now it was feeding the fire.

Muscles leaping in his cheek as he clenches his jaw, he pushes himself away from the cypress that is digging into his side. His now seething gaze sweeps away the mare, searching to incinerate something across the water. He wants to apologize for his rant, but he does not trust himself to open his mouth again. Ears flick back as he attempts to rein in the rage of an elephant.
image credits
- table by Niki -

Please tag Tembovu.

She gets a smile from him, even if it's half-arsed. Good - that's always a start. She flicks her gaze up at him, giving an encouraging smile in return. He introduces himself as the Glazier, and her interest is piqued - that is a hefty rank, and she would have expected a man like him to have chosen the path of the warrior. She isn't one to judge, though. Creating fortifications and weapons is as noble a task as fighting, albeit a little less dangerous. She wonders if he has the ability to recreate the great glass wall that stood sentinel at the edge of the Edge during her first journey into Helovia, the mighty structure that signified the strength of the herd within.

His second grin has more enthusiasm, and she can't stem the slight excited quiver of her flesh at the way he looms over her, his gaze intense. He's a handsome thing, and Nyx is a shallow creature who knows her way around a good-looking man. She likes them big, as big stallions produce big foals, and big foals tend to be stronger. She's no dwarf herself, after all.

Suddenly he opens up, like a great dam being opened to bring forth the crashing torrents within. As expected, the source of his ire is a mare - or, rather, a mare's new beau. Subtly, the silver winces. This is precisely why she has shunned monogamy to embrace a life of...not wanton sluttery, per se, but free loving focused around the creation of strong offspring. Yes, she thinks her lifestyle makes more sense, as only bedding men who best her in battle - usually her kings - means she only produces powerful foals, who will survive and keep her genes flooding into the next generation. Yes, she has a slightly scornful attitude towards couples, and yes, she has convinced herself that she is a woman in charge of her own destiny, free from the burden of a steady mate.

But there's a part of her that shuns love because she is afraid of getting her heart broken. Afraid of the weakness that comes with such yearnings of the soul.

The Glazier implies that the stallion who took his wife did not do so through entirely consensual means. Secretly, Nyx thinks that any mare who cannot fend off the advances of an amorous stallion deserves everything she gets, and that a man like the one in front of her could aim his sights higher than a woman too weak to defend herself, but she manages to keep these thoughts locked away. She does have some semblance of tact, even if it is occasionally forgotten. The rage in the man's expression and gestures is a sight to behold, and the ironheart has a sudden craving to see how he handles that big body in battle. She stands still, with a warrior's unflinching steel facade at the testosterone-fuelled display. "My advice would be to kill the colt and dance through the bloody wreckage, but that's probably not the most productive solution." Nyx has never had to be a woman scorned, so has little experience of emotions like jealousy, but she knows of stallions and their possessiveness. Bless them, they swagger around with harems and whores galore, but if their women dare to have a little piece of extra dick on the side, they turn into ball-swinging cavemen.

"This mare...is it safe to assume that you loved her?" And she manages to say that without gagging! She looks at him, her own features impassive; ice to his fire, iron to his malleable, potent temper.

A deep, short bark of laughter escapes roughly from his massive barrel at her brutal (yet appealing) advice. “Productive? No. Most satisfying? Yes,” he rumbles in agreement, the edge of anger just barely leaving his voice. The taunt sinew beneath his thick hide ripples as some of the tension leaves in the face of the dry, warrior humor shared between them.

“Though I probably shouldn’t be the source of bad blood between us and the Basin… I don’t know that it’s worth it,” if she’s worth it, the unspoken words hang in his head. He didn’t know if killing Alexander would even make the Basin Lords blink an eye (and the vindictive part of him would like to think that he was an unimportant cur). He didn’t even know if he wanted to kill the colt. The source of his anger, of his hurt, was that he had been lied to and swept aside. A mere friend— the thought had an irritated snort coming from his thick nostrils.

His smoldering eyes sweep to her icy ones as she voices her question. “Love her?” he repeats, as if asking himself. He studies her cool, impassive face, his molten heat slowly cooling to hardened cobalt. Though his body is still rigid, his head is gradually and fractionally lowering from its previous, infuriated height.

In the back of his mind he feels backhanded relief— to be in the company of someone who did not back away from his towering temper or violent glare. Instead of concerning himself over frightening this mare, he found welcome wit and unflinching coolness to his searing anger.

These thoughts swirled through him as he avoided answering her question, gaze still not leaving her face. His face grows hard, despite the resurfacing appreciation the lingering pheromones bring during his studying gaze of the mare. He is a stallion, he is not immune— and is rage really so different from passion?

His ears, which had flicked towards her during her question, his thoughts, and his stare, flick backwards. He is irritated with himself. Did he only think with his dick? If a woman could bring the fall of an empire, surely one could destroy a man.

So he swings his head away from the warrior mare once more, a ripple of muscle causing the thick hide to twitch over his shoulders and neck. “I know only of a love cultivated over time. With strength and respect,” finally he answers her, voice low and quiet now, “It has been but a few seasons. And both those qualities are lacking, now…” his voice rumbles into silence as he thinks. The tides swings from anger to pain once more, so he turns the first thought in hims mind to the other, “Do you’ve any experience with gods cursed matters of the heart?” For indeed, thus far, the stallion’s heart had been nothing but trouble.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@ Nyx

Please tag Tembovu.

I am really enjoying this thread :D @Tembovu

She flashes a sharp grin. "Satisfaction is what life's all about." And, to her, it is. She is a warrior because she enjoys fighting. She births many children because she enjoys being a mother, and the conception of the foal is always a delightful experience as well. She knows this is a rather selfish outlook on life, but the stallions who have sired her foals certainly haven't cared. Nor have the herds she has defended with the strength of her body. Her selfishness benefits other people, as odd as that may sound.

As the Glazier mentions the Basin, Nyx feels herself stiffen. Her thoughts immediately travel to Deodat, and how dreadfully awkward it would be if relations with the Basin soured. Not that she would blame the stallion for marching straight into the icy tundra and slaying the colt like a lover scorned; impulsiveness is a wonderful thing.

Love her? The stallion repeats her question, but still the ironheart stays silent, waiting for the outpouring of emotion that will surely follow. His high-held head lowers, although he does not entirely relax - Nyx is no stranger to removing the tension from stallions, but it's usually a lot harder than simply asking them a question. To put it politely, her body is usually more useful than her mouth for that particular end. To put it not so politely, she hasn't met a problem that can't be solved with a good hard rutting. For most men, that's the cure to all ills.

His face hardens - again, Nyx is more accustomed to other things hardening around her, rather than facial features. She doesn't mean that arrogantly, as she is far from the most beautiful creature in the world, with her bland colouring and her somewhat butch build. But her lazy self-confidence - not to be confused with arrogance - and lack of fucks to give about most worldly issues is usually just what stallions want to hear. They don't want some whining oaf of a woman who starts thinking up wedding vows the second she meets them, or who spends her time begging for their eternal love, or who makes them swear a hundred times over that no, her ass doesn't look fat. They want someone with a sharp wit, with a mouth as vulgar as theirs, who doesn't equate sex with love and who doesn't demand devotion in exhange for her body. Nyx's anti-monogamy stance is, in the vast majority of cases, just what men like. Most despise it as much as she does, and embrace a mare who looks down on couples with the same derision that they do.

His ears flip backwards and he turns away, but still the silver soldier stands her ground. When he answers, it is neither a yes or a no - he speaks of love grown across time, rather than on the spur of the moment, and the mare's head dips in an agreeing nod, even though he's facing the other direction. Then, to her considerable surprise, he returns the question, asking about her experience of matters of the heart. A huffed heh is all she can initially say, until her shock subsides and she composes her mind enough to articulate a response. It shouldn't surprise her so much - she'd asked him a personal question, it's only fair she gets one in return.

But the mare is not one to mince her words. He might not like her answer, but she is brutally honest to a fault. "My outlook on life is a bit, ahem, different to most," she begins. How does she explain her opinion without coming across as a harlot? Not that she cares if he thinks that, but still, she would rather not gather that reputation if she can help it. Should she meet her end in the near future, she would far rather be remembered as that silver-tongued warrior who never backed down rather than that rancid whore who spread her legs more times than she'd eaten grass. "To put it bluntly, I don't believe in monogamy. I don't really believe in love, either. I've borne many children during my life, but none of their fathers have meant anything to me. I believe in strength, my dear Glazier. When I lived in the wilds outside Helovia, it was my duty as a herd mare to produce children for my king, but because I am a warrior, I do have standards. It may sound harsh, but life is too short to produce weak children who won't survive past foalhood, so I began to test my prospective suitors in battle. Only if they defeated me did they get to bed me." Those that didn't? Well, they could take their blue balls elsewhere, thank you very much.

"So, to answer your question - no, I have little experience in matters of the heart, because I don't believe in offering said heart out on a silver platter. It means I don't have to endure problems like yours, because it matters little to me if the father of my foal has dozens of other women on the side. In fact, I'd be quite alarmed if he didn't. We're not fucking swans - we don't mate for life. Sure, I have a certain amount of respect for couples whose love lasts their whole lives, but that isn't how I choose to operate. So if I was to give you advice, it would be that my way of living ensures you never have to worry about getting your heart broken. There's a lot to be said for it. If this experience has put you off monogamy for the forseeable future, then you're more than welcome to join me in this particular mindset. It's not perfect, but it works for me. Might work for you, too." She flashes him a small grin. Join the dark side - we have cookies.

Thick ears twitch at her initial soft, surprised snort as his question. He turns his great head back to her during her pause, curiosity invading his tumult of emotions. What was she thinking? What answer was she composing in that frank, warrior mind of hers?

Then, he listened to her speak of her approach to mating, to foaling. It was a detached, analytical technique. A procedure. A protocol. Produce strong foals, healthy foals. He understood not following monogamy, for many that life was too restricting. Stallions had needs, had wants. Especially in a place such as this grove.

Was that his problem? Is that why he was so enraged with Rexanna and Alexander? Was monogamy too restricting for him?

Though an angry and hurt mind is not the best place to entertain such thoughts, he still weighed these questions. Perhaps life was too short to dawdle around with one mare. What was it getting him? Blue balls and a broken heart. Hardly worth the investment.

”I believe in strength, my dear Glazier.” He shifted, mulling the idea over, “Strength in protecting your heart?” he paused, thinking, “I suppose I found strength in giving my affection, my heart, to someone else.” To lovers, to foals… His rage was still burning beneath the surface of calm, so he could not think of dead foals, now. He grabbed onto his bubbling rage once more, to avoid the pain of his past of fires and death, always using his anger to escape, “Now, in hindsight, it seems rather idiotic. His gaze was still hard, though starting to smolder again beneath the glassy surface. Heated pits of cobalt.

“Your method cuts out the heartache and leaves only the fun. Just breeding? And fighting? Seems like you're cheating the gods of love out of their sadistic fun of jilting lovers,” his voice is growing rougher, deeper, with dark humor and appraisal. He had shifted, turning his towering bulk to face her as he spoke.

”Might work for you, too.” He took a half step towards the athletic mare, thick column of a leg closing the generous space she had afforded the enraged stud. “Perhaps I should try your way,” his bass voice rumbled, serious words laced with coarse humor, “Care for a brawl?”
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Nyx I'm not sure if he's serious or not... Or if you even want a spar? WHAT IS NYX DOING TO HIM?! Haha, and YES I love this thread, too. It's so fun >:D

Please tag Tembovu.