the Rift

Fight or Flight

Aquila Posts: 95
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Craonos :: Common Narwhal Leviathan :: Boil smitty
Aquila

An explosion of water erupted from the shallows. A frenzy of movement accompanied the spray. An equid surged from the water, frantic legs clawing against the coral and sandy bottom as she transitioned from swimming to running. The gills on her shoulders were gaping open and closed, despite being above surface, as she gasped for breath. It was apparent she had been fleeing for some time- fatigue was etched into the sag of her back and flailing of her usually athletic gait.

But she continued to run, crashing through the knee-deep water. Already large teal and yellow eyes are rimmed wide. The reason for her panic becomes abundantly clear as a second burst of water followed her.

A great shark breached the surface. More aptly, it’s teeth broke the surface. Followed by its gargantuan body. Was this even a shark? Its body was a putrid brown-grey, which faded to a foul yellow underneath. And its teeth- it’s teeth were hideous. They sprouted from its massive, gaping jaws, impossibly sharp and numbering in the hundreds. And they moved within the dripping jaws, rotating and sawing, waiting- hungering- for flesh.

Gleaming gobs of electric green saliva clung to the moving points in the beast’s mouth. Sharks didn’t salivate like this? As the rest of the creature erupted from the water, it became clear that this was no shark. This monster had four legs sprouting from its underside. Gaping, unhealing wounds along its sides revealed dark metallic bones inside pale brown flesh. They seeped the same foul green serum that came from its jaws. And this sludge poisoned the water around it, interacting with the sea and beginning  to glow sickly around its churning legs.

“Arrhhh!” Aquila roared her frustration through gasping breaths as the spray cleared from her face and she saw her surroundings. She was running in the shallows between two soaring cliffs that only narrowed together in front of her, before the shallows dropped steeply into the vast depths again. It was a trap set by this diseased world. There was no where to go. She could no longer out swim this monster- her hope had been to outrun it on the beaches. But that hope was now destroyed.

She continued to run, pulling away from the beast as her speed exceeded his shorter legs. Slowly, a small glob of the glowing green poison around him reached out before him, moving faster than his body. It shot forward, catching up to the fierce mare’s striped legs.

“No!” A bellowed scream of pain and horror ricocheted on the cliffs as hissing steam sprouted from where this green tendril wrapped around her hind left hock. The neon aqua in her hide exploded with light and the brown darkened to pitch black in fear. She spun around to her left, a torrent of rage, panic, and spray. Arcing her ridged neck, her long bladed horn slashed through the water, cutting the glowing green tendril away.

She planted her legs and lowered her horn at the monstrosity. Her striped sides heaving for breath as water dripped down the smooth, pebbled skin. The glow faded from her stripes, and the black lighted to brown once more as the shark slowed its advanced slightly, assessing its prey.

refuge and vengeance

ooc| this is the setting I imagine. The shark’s body is like this and the teeth are like this.
Feel free to add more monsters, change this monster, or add crazy sickness to the environment!
All you Islers join in! :D

Please tag Aquila in all posts.

Dacianna Posts: 55
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 4 Y/O HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
imi
There's still a fire in my heart, my darling,
But I'm not burning for you

The feeling was dank and eerie, a cacophony of manic noises echoed in the background like a soundtrack to a horror movie, it played on constant repeat, as if a broken phonograph was stuck on the same part of a cracked record. She wasn’t quite sure where they were coming from and she certainly didn’t want to know.

That was the rift to Dacianna, a sick universe that repeated itself over and over. There were monsters here, monsters there and monsters everywhere.

Sometimes she tried to find solace as she remembered she was a slave no more and the gold mines were not her prison. Except, when she looked around, she had found freedom for a few glorious glimpses and then run headlong into her next cell. She couldn’t even compare it to hell, it was more like the domain for the mentally impaired and she had accidentally stumbled into it. Typical. Daci was an expert in finding new chains to wear, even the metaphorical ones. Still, she lingered here and there, helping where she could and avoiding the nasty looking creatures. However, the place she looked at now was odd, it was the rift but different. Like there was another world trying to invade somewhere, it changed the landscape to more of a waterscape, but the sickness still hung to its very fibre. It had been doing this for a while now, one could not really say how long in the Rift, time was distorted here.

A different noise broke through the eerie background wails and the roan raised her head sharply. Another creature? They seemed to pop out of the abyss endlessly roaring into the ill void. Her muscles stiffened and she tried to convince herself to stay away, that it was on its own, not hunting or hurting anyone. Her white tipped lids closed tightly over her gilded eyes as the many possible scenarios bombarded her sensitive mind. What if... But what if"Are you serious" she muttered to herself as she burst into a gallop and headed for the explosive sound of water, finally losing the battle with her conscience.

Her surroundings looked much like a sandy cove and, if not for the plague like rift, would probably be a beauty spot. There were no beauty spots in Dacianna’s rift. She didn’t even dream here.

Soon she caught a glimpse of a fleeing mare though her gaze was quickly drawn to the beast that chased her so rabidly. It was, in a word, quite disgusting. Sharks were not Daci’s favourite creatures in the world and least of all four-legged ones with blades for teeth. However, she didn’t have long to be disgusted when something weird and green threatened to catch the scaly mare and Daci’s thoughts reeled in panic as she urged her legs to go faster. "Come on" she pleaded to herself as the girl in front turned to face the shark head on and lowered her blade like horn. Was she going to fight it?! 

"No don't!" she screamed to the mare in hopes to grab her attention when she thought she had caught up enough. Determination set a grim line onto her lips and she tilted her head to one side to try slice (or at the very least get its attention) the monster with one pointed horn. She didn’t stop running, however. "Hey let's go! We can’t stay here" she urged the mare to follow through pleaded and breathless tones.

Let’s not die in this mad world.

[eeee nice opening post! :D I left the control of the monster up to you I wasn’t sure if you had a plan for it :3 <3 Let me know if there's anything wrong ^^]
@Aquila
Don't let the curtain catch you, cause you've been here before,
The chair is an island darling, you can't touch the floor
--------------------------
force permitted / please tag me

Mbizi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I'd been enjoying my nap in the safety of my nest, high above the ground and placed nicely within the trees until chaos erupted below. While I'm highly annoyed that I have been awoken I can't help but be curious to what makes the sounds below. I hear a voice that chants but no words with it, I'm too far to understand a word being said even with these ginormous ears. So instead I walk out on a limb, curling my toes around the limbs and locking in with my long sharp talons. I beak through the greenery to find another being as odd in looks as me and I'm intrigued none the less. I watch her gallop in fear but from what I cannot tell.

I hone in with my wonderful sight to see what monster dwells beneath the surface and I can tell it is that of a large fish. Until it fucking came above water enough for me to notice its rather distinct features. I'm not sure what the hell it is, or what hell it came from but I begin to fear for the other beings life at this point. I watch as yet another being arrives, shouting to the other fishly thing and again I can't hear a word being said but I do see the girl of stripes aiming her horn for the thing. As stupid as it looked I can't help but to admire her for her courage. Though I know this will end badly so I shove my enormous being from the thick limb I stand upon. Spreading gigantic wings, letting my presence be known with a blood curdling screech (thank my eagle ancestors for that).

I race against time now, moving faster and faster with each beat I allow. Turning in from the side and going low, low enough to the water my feet gently brush the top layer of the liquid. I aim for the ass end of the shark, hunching my back and putting all my power of flight into my toes. I reach out and lock my talons into this sharks skin and hope to drag it at least a few feet from the women. I release my grasp after realizing the weight I was trying to take on but I do note that I had moved it some distance, while I climb the air again I circle back, awaiting to see their next move. If they were smart they'd take off running with the head start I just gave them because I cannot fight this creature alone and win. I mean, I could, but do I really want to? No.

I look from above where I am still circling around to see their faces and where the shark has landed or moved to from my brief moment of fucking its feeding time up, "For fucks sake, run!" I shout. Waiting for movement, I'm here to fight if I need to but please don't make me, that's all I ask of them.

OOC: the fuck? terrible post. I want to post Mbizi so bad but I just haven't felt out his personality yet and not sure how to write him just yet, so terribly sorry this sucks butt. If you'd like you are welcome to say that he didn't move the shark at all and only sliced it with his talons, saying this for the same reason as imi. :)

Gashad Posts: 6
Deceased atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 21hh :: 30+ HP: 54 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

I don't know who you think you are
but before the night is through
I wanna do bad things with you
</style>

"Pretty prancing bunnies bouncing on the beach!" He giggled happily as he watched the struggling creatures from his hiding place among the trees. Why where they running? Why, why, when the sharky barky was so hungry it GREW FEET to get a bite? A nibbly, bity, tasty munchy crunchy! If he'd had a tongue he might have been eager for a lick himself, a little piece of the juggling meat, a sip a drop a taste just to wet the throat.... alas, he had none of that either. But he could recall the taste, oh yes. Salty it was, like the sea. And so very juicy, if perhaps a little tough to chew. Wonder, wonder, if oozing, bleeding, steaming flesh was as delightful as it had been back in the days?

He still had teeth. Delightfully intact and well tended with neither holes nor caries. Better suited for leaf and grass of course but what was life without a challenge!?

But what was this? A little birdy came swooping down from the swirling, twisting, glowing, gleaming void of blue and began clawing at the shark. The courage, the strength! Oh but what a waste, to find such thrilling chaos and not participate in person.

So he went. Not sneakily, not crawling along the edge of the dripping forest where the sand ended and the steep mountainside began. Not whispering like a shadow from tree to tree, no, what fun would there be in that?

He came bursting instead, shrieking in mad glee with the massive wing bones cutting the air like scorpion tails. Leaves fell, sand cascaded into the air, and in a clatter of bone and teeth and rock and twig he rushed at the first bunny, the fish-wife who belonged more in the sea herself than on dry land.

"NO NONONONONONONONONONO NOOOOOO DON'T RUN AWAY" he cackled shrilly, grinning (like he always did) as he made a swipe with the clawed wings towards the fish-wife and the horned bunny, the gray jackalope who tried to get to safety. "Don't you see, look how happy he is to see you, all smiling and grinning and biting and running!? Can't let him go hungry, can we!"

He made to block their path, fixating the blue orbs upon the little bunnies to make them stop, stare, freeze and pee themselves in terror at the sight of him (like they always did). The shadows swirled faster and faster within the bony ribcage, threatening to spill out in his excitement. Oh, let them protest, object, scream and run and curse his name as they drew their last, rattling breaths...

They were so lovely when they screamed.  

Aquila

‘No, don’t!’ Large, glass-like eyes of teal and yellow flicker from the monstrosity before her to a gray equine rushing up behind it. Was this a second attack? Scaled ears pin flush with her head, disappearing into her face-fins and neck-ridges and she further flexes her haunches in case she must meet the mare’s charge.

But, as the distinct sound of horn clipping the shark’s metal bones pierced the air, Aquila quickly realized that this mare was an ally in this battle. The decorated woman’s dual horns scored the strange, waxy brown flesh of the creature, skating through it’s thick skin, hitting the dark metal bones. That was stupid. Brave, the warrioress acknowledged, but getting that close to it’s teeth was unwise.

The unexpected assault knocked it to the side and the mutant roared, it’s voice was hoarse and metallic, like the sound of metal crumpling and scraping against metal. Eyes of gleaming green snap their beady stare to the new prey, a gush of electric saliva sparking on its blade-like teeth. Thick jaw swings sideways as it attempts to impale the warm, fleshy meal in its jaws- only to be drug away from it’s meal from above. A thunderous rough clanging erupted from the beast’s throat, as it flailed in the hawk’s talons. Razored jaws twisted to and fro, aiming to bite and sever this attacker.

Aquila, about to turn and join the mare and flee once more, stayed her flighted legs for a mere moment as movement from above caught her eye. Indeed, a hawk-like equine attacked from above. Another ally! A hint of relief passed through her oversized eyes, for she hadn’t been keen on her odds of survival just moments before. But with this hawk in the sky, they might stand a chance-

A clatter of bones came from above, just as Aquila completed her pivot on the haunches to flee with her original ally. An unearthly shriek came from her mouth, ending in a snarl and reflexive rear and jab with her horn as the winged skeleton’s sharp hooves collided with her withers and spine. Though her reaction did little- for how can you attack flesh that isn’t there? “Now the equines are monsters?!” Her exasperated cry rang sharply over the sound of surf. “You stupid coward, side with your kind!”The odds were turning against them again.

Ignoring the welling and dribbling of her dark blue blood on her back, she ran once more. Unblinking gaze sweeping the cliffs. There. A small alcove, a cave. It was too small for the shark or skeleton to fit in. She wasn’t sure if she would fit in it. And they would be trapped- damn. “A cave, over there. But we’ll be trapped,” her throaty voice was breathless as it carries to the other fleeing mare.

She called over her shoulder to their winged knight in the skies, “Do you see a path in the cliffs from above?” The shark would be unable to climb the rocks, she was relatively certain. But the damn skeleton would get them if they ascended the cliffs! “And knock that fiend from the skies!” Her panic had subsided now that she had allies, and she instinctively started issuing orders. 

The beast, free of the hawk now, reared on his hind legs and snapped at the airborne snack. Then its glowing eyes alighted on the skeleton. Not much to eat there, but crunching on bones could get the flesh unstuck from between his teeth. Like flavored toothpicks.  Again, a rumble shook the creature’s gaping chest, and it started after the fleeing mares. Two tendrils of sickly green water speeding ahead of it, wrapping around each hind leg, hissing as it touched flesh.

refuge and vengeance

ooc| Womp, sorry for the delay! So maybe I should’ve used the RE account to play the shark… XD oh well. but feel free to do whatever you want with it! Also, don't feel like you need to match length or anything, my replies just get longer with every added character to the post XD
@Dacianna @Mbizi @Gashad

Dacianna Posts: 55
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 4 Y/O HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
imi
There's still a fire in my heart, my darling,
But I'm not burning for you

The roar ripped through her mind and sent a shiver down her spine. It was disgusting, this whole world was disgusting and with no mercy it threatened to devour her. Literally.  A flash of well-sharpened teeth moved to snap her up and she would have been if it weren’t for the distraction from above. Her golden gaze glanced upwards to catch the huge hawk like horse that hovered in the sky, he too looked like something out of some monster tale, but for now he helped and Dacianna held back her speculations in favour of fleeing. She may have gained two new allies in the spur of the moment, but she wasn’t hanging around to test their newly formed band against this titan shark. No way. She was not dying here, not in this freaky world; she had fought too many battles for it to end here. However, it was the strange sound of clattering bones that drew her attention and forced her fleeing legs to halt her next to the seahorse mare.

What?

What was with these vulgar creatures?!

Dacianna turned her nose up at the charging bag of bones that threatened to slice both her and the other mare with his sharpened wings as she danced to the side, feeling the breath of his attack wisp by her shoulder leaving a small scratch. Blue smears also painted her azure striped ally. This won’t do. They had to move, but something vile blocked their path. “Who dug you up” she spat at the undead creature showing clear displeasure through her disgusted look.

“Move carcass, go play with your demon friend, I think he likes you” she snarled, baring her horns a little further down, wondering if she could somehow get around him. She took her chance. It wasn’t like staying still and trying to be a hero was going to save lives. Not in this world. Not when the dead came back to haunt you. So she burst forward again, aiming to rattle the skeleton with her horns on the way towards him, listening to the other mare’s observation with a grim expression afterwards and answered with a brisk shake of her head. A cave would be the end of them; trapped and served for the shark mutant and ‘ol bones here. Higher ground would be better, but this was a warped world where not everything was as it appeared, perhaps running back into shadow was a better option. The darkness was both friend and foe.

She had little time to think as something touched her fleeing body. A diseased looking tendril made itself at home around her hind leg and she abruptly slammed all on, stumbling forwards. Annoyed, Daci turned to try snap the green grip from her leg with the sharp end of one of the points on her horn. Grimly she looked for the seahorse in hopes she was okay and, once confirmed, cast her gaze around frantically for some advantage or opportunity. “Help him find a way up and out of here” she pleaded her ally on the ground before turning to the skeleton.

“Hey! You! Corpse!” She shouted to the bag of bones “why don’t we have some fun together with our new friend here” she nodded to the revolting shark thing. Knowing that they would only find a way out if the one looking was unhindered. She cast a glance at the pebbled mare, nodding once in assurance, a way out was more important now.

@Mbizi
Don't let the curtain catch you, cause you've been here before,
The chair is an island darling, you can't touch the floor
--------------------------
force permitted / please tag me

Mbizi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

As he whirls around in the air he thrusts himself further to the sky. Constant flapping of large wings just to keep him afloat above the predator below him. Watchful eyes stay focused as he continues to the sky, it was lucky he escaped without harm.. but we'll see about that. Within the chaotic moment, everything went silent when he caught sight of the bones that formed something like his kind. He'd seen the thing well before they did but the clash and sound of bones they surely heard at the same time as he. The eagle looked away only when he heard the mare start barking orders. He was happy to help but to have a stranger boss him around, he didn't enjoy.

Though Mbizi kept his beak shut, ever so carefully scoping out his surroundings seeking for a place for them to run to and someway to take on this being of ruckus. He was hardly in the mood for being scissored apart but to save the ladies he would do so. "There is a trail up ahead and to the left of you but I'm unsure if you would be able to make it up." he shouts, knowing damn well they wouldn't be able to climb the steep hill but if they'd like to try they can go right for it. At least he'd like them to try for fighting two beasts at once will end him surely. The faster they get going, the faster he can as well.

"Hey bones," he says, over sized ears pinned straight against his neck as he begins soaring to the creature, gaining speed "fuck off!" large talons aiming straight for any bone they could catch themselves on. Well prepared for the sting of flesh that those sharp claws on his wings would cause. Aiming to grab hold and fling him around with him, for surely bones are easier to hold than a full body with real mass, and surely these bones do not just come apart easily as he walks around with them in form. His hopes was to grab the being and take his flight off balancing. Swirling around in a fluster of feather to hopefully let go of the man and feed him to the shark, or get the damn thing close.

Aquila
Intense gaze of teal and yellow flick to the quick halt of the grey mare. What the—? The reason for her abrupt stop became clear as a sickeningly green tentacle tightens around Aquila’s leg as well. Again, steam hisses as a low grunt of surprise and pain escapes the warrioress. She, too, spins and hacks at the stinging green slime. It falls away from her leg, but latches onto her horn.

She darts her eyes towards the grey mare. Each slimy and acidic strands double and triple around both of the mares’ horns. The shark screeches in greedy excitement. She snorts, setting her haunches against the life-and-death tug-of-war they are suddenly facing with the shark. She pulls, ridges growing erect on her neck; her electric stripes pulse with sudden anger. She hears their sky borne ally point out a trail just up ahead of them and sees the grey mare try to go after the skeleton.

But the skeleton flees to the heavens. It is more fun for him to chase than fight. So he hovers above the scene, cackling at their misfortunes.

The beast turns its beady eyes skyward. With a thrust of its thick and grotesque neck, a spray of salt water and green saliva flies into the air at the hawk-borne. The droplets condense as a strands of glowing olive, wrapping around his wings and seeking to tug him towards the sea. Moving teeth snap together in a clamor as it snaps its jaws in hungry furor. What a feast this will be!

A throaty roar rips from her throat, frustration and anger displacing the panic and fear. Striking a webbed hoof in a spray of salt, she readies herself. “Try the trail he found, I will follow close behind,” she shouts over the bellowing of the beast. Then she snarls, sharp teeth exposing themselves— thrill flashes through her unblinking eyes.

And she lunges, open-mouthed, at the tendrils of green entrapping the mares. She growls as  the acid hisses and burns in her mouth. But she manages to get most of the tendrils off the antlered mare. Hopefully she can flee now.

Wrestling with her mouthful, she glances at the Hawk. She isn’t sure she can fight off three sets of feelers from the shark, so she does not yet try.

It screams, loosing one of the the tasty morsels. This seahorse will pay for robbing it of a meal! It yanks harder on it’s saliva tendrils, pulling her closer and aiming to pull the hawk closer to the waiting jaws. One snap of the teeth skyward try to catch the flighted man. One snap towards the flailing seahorse— she’s so close now. But it is greedy— oh so greedy with poisoned magic. It wants all three snacks. So it lunges, unexpectedly, at Dacianna. Haphazard teeth open a wound along Aquila’s ribcage. But it’s open jaws aim to envelope the grey in a delicious bite.

The sea is hell and I am its fury.

ooc| Sorry for the delay! I forgot about this ;-; Permission from Chan to PP Gashad. And I also realize that the shark’s attack on Mbizi was a little PP, I can change it if need be!
Summary (cause a lot happened) Gashad flies above. The shark’s water/saliva tentacle things wrap around Daci’s and Aquila’s horns when they try to cut them away. The shark also sends some tentacles skyward to wrap around Mbizi and pull him down. Aquila bites away the tendrils from Daci’s horn, telling her to try the path. The shark lunges at Daci, cutting open Aquila’s side on the way. Whew!
@Dacianna @Mbizi