the Rift

white snow as red as strawberries [open]

Galiel Posts: 22
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.0 :: 1
Giaerie

Nothing. That was what I had left anymore. No longer did I have a family. No longer did I have a herd. No longer did I have happiness. No longer…no longer did I have a purpose in this life. What was I supposed to do with myself? Was I supposed to just wander the expanse of the world until the day I died? Or was there some higher purpose to all of the bad that happened to me? If it was the latter, the great mother better hurry it up.

Tears stained my cheeks as I continued my long trek. For weeks now I had been traveling west like mother had told me to. Where it was she wanted me to find, I had no idea but hopefully it would be nice. Not that it would matter all that much just how nice it was. Nothing would be the same without mother and father and brother. Even just thinking about them made my heart ache so much that I would cry even more.

Night began to fall as I entered into a wooded area that was quietly inviting. It was almost as if the woods was silently whispering for me to come take shelter within it. Maybe it was my affinity for forests. Maybe it was something else entirely. Maybe this was the place mother wanted me to find. Whatever it was that made me want to tread the forest floor at night, it was directing me straight into the heart of the forest.

The moon climbed higher in the sky as the hours passed and as it got later, the wearier I grew. Eventually I found myself stopped in a small clearing, staring at the full moon in the sky with heavy eyelids. I shook myself to try to wake myself a bit, but it really didn’t work. It wouldn’t work. Soon I would have to find a safe place to sleep so I began looking.

It wasn’t long until my pale eyes beheld some sort of large leaved bush that was perfect for me. Before another hour could pass I made myself a bed beneath a leaf and laid down to rest. Quickly, slumber took hold of me and entrapped me within its grasp and images of my family and what happened to them flooded the backs of my eyelids. There was nothing but restless sleep since I found my herd murdered. Every time I would try to sleep I would be thrust back into the memories of my past – a past I’d rather forget. I knew with every kick or scream I had a greater chance of being found by somebody, and to be honest I didn’t really care anymore. If I was to die then I could join my family and be rid of this hell. For being awake and remembering everything was hard enough, but to be plagued by footage of the events in your sleep was even worse.

There was no escaping such things. Not now. Not ever.

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

Areli Posts: 82
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 hh :: 3 (Birdsong) HP: 65.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bee :: Grey Wolf :: None Shady

ARELI
Do you still believe in love, I wonder?

Areli couldn’t sleep. She did not know why she was restless, but ever since she had bedded down with Mama earlier, she had not been able to slip into slumber with her usual ease. Perhaps it was the full moon, or perhaps a touch of spring fever, but an hour ago she had risen from her fitful doze and strolled into the moonlight.

At first, she had only intended to get a drink, but she had found herself wandering along the edge of the river and into the wood. With the moon bright above her and Bee at her side, she was not afraid. She knew many of the deer paths in the Falls, and she was close to one of her favorites. The trees were so widely spread apart here that it was rather faint, but she followed alongside its meandering trail like a little firefly, dapples glowing golden in the dark.

It wasn’t long before she had come to the part of the forest she now knew as the Threshold. This also was becoming a familiar place; ever since she and Bee had discovered the angel-mare here, they had returned often to poke around. Comfortable in her old haunt, the sandy wolf pup broke from her mistress’ heels to stalk small animals in the brush—Areli could hear her hunting ahead, trying her luck unsuccessfully with the occasional vole or drowsy rabbit. She was still getting used to the way Bee’s emotions tended to crowd her mind. Every time the wolf scented a potential quarry, Areli’s adrenaline would spike, and she was still learning to anticipate the rapid-fire sensory bursts that Bee was prone to transmitting.

Thus, she almost ignored the pup’s discovery of the girl in the bushes. Assuming that it was another unlucky rabbit, Areli pushed aside the surge of excitement and the wave of curiosity. It was only when Bee came trotting back to her, then ran ahead again, that the dark filly took notice. Had the young wolf found something? Hoping that it wasn’t another dead skunk (it had happened once), Areli held her breath and followed her companion.

Ears pointed forward sharply, Bee wove through the forest, only slowing when a large bush came into view. Looking back at Areli, she whined softly, and as her mistress peered into the shadows, she was rather surprised to find a girl very much like herself asleep beneath its branches. “Hey,” she called quietly, wondering what the filly could be doing out here so late without her mama.

"speech"

Image Credit || coding by Tamme
[Image: areli_by_moonstone_designs-d9dgh47.png]
Icon base: Bronzehalo
Please do not tag Areli except in opening posts!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
[ TintedGlass sure brings back memories of the days before I could code scroll tables! xD ]

It never ceased—once the first stone had been thrown, the rock slide would just gather momentum.. keep on falling.. gears turning; wheels turning; seasons turning, and still the machine kept on toiling deep within its ruts.

The tall trees of the Threshold rose around him, familiar despite not being home. They cast dappled moon-shadows upon his hide with their newborn leaves.

Everything about this place was achingly familiar—the paths, the multitude of scents, the taste of the air, the touch of the wind... Mauja had spent so much of his life here, greeting newcomers, trying his luck, hoping to bring them back to his herd for—what? Glory? Numbers? Out of the kindness in his heart? Or just because it plain old was the way things operated around here?

It was what was expected of him. Bring strangers back home, hope to make them loyal, boost his numbers, keep himself and his kin safe, hidden away in the fogs of the Moon herself.

The taste in the back of his mouth was bitter. As an Outcast, he had roamed, frustrated and desperate, without purpose, without dreams; and now, back upon a throne he had lost so long ago, he filled the emptiness up with movement. Direction. Hollow purpose. There was no true satisfaction in ruling—it was just a convenient distraction from the void gaping where his soul ought to be.

Sometimes, he thought of what it would be like to simply leave the Edge—let it come to rot and ruin under Torleik, or watch it perish under the greedy onslaught of some other mortal. What it would be like, to return to his days as a stray, wandering the face of Helovia, going where he wanted, when he wanted, with no ball and chain anchoring him to the path between the Edge and the Threshold.

(He stood out in the moonlight, lost in his own thoughts; the white of his hide shimmering with the brilliance of the Dark Lady.)

He didn't know how long he had been standing there before it caught his attention—and he wasn't precisely sure what to define it as, either. A shift in the wind. A feeling in the earth. A whisper through the trees.

The kind of intuition you had to rely on.

Mauja moved, jaggedly coming into motion like a piece of a glacier breaking off, but it quickly morphed into something else—something graceful and elegant as he haunted the forest, seeking the cause of this disturbance.

It was a scream. A rustle. Then.. silence. No smell of blood; scents growing stronger, muddied by the mishmash of the place. “Hey,” someone called quietly, nearby. The frost-wraith paused; turned. Squinted through the shadows, his eyes near gray in the monochromatic light. A yearling with wings by her side, peering into the bushes, and there beneath, the outline of another small, fragile creature with wings.

What are they doing out alone? the father in him asked.

But no other wolves aside from himself and a more literal one of the puppy-kind seemed about, so.. no harm done, right? Right. (Yet, anyway.)

Slowly he moved over to them, until he could peer down at the girl folded into the bushes. "Are you alright?" he asked, voice gentle, concerned; the other filly he had already stored away as of a lesser priority. She was obviously uninjured, and smelled of the Falls—so in a way, useless to him, but he hesitated to call her of no interest even within the confines of his mind.

[ @Galiel @Areli -- I am not sure I can follow through this thread to 100% due to a busy time in my life, if I feel like I'll start lagging I'll PM you guys to let you know :( ]
lord, the demands you're making-
help the monster on two feet
walk him down the hall, repeat
and when he's strong enough to stand alone
you'll notice what big teeth . . .
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Hidden Account
Giaerie

It was awful. One minute I was running through the forest back at home. In the distance I could hear mother and father and brother calling to me, but no matter how fast I ran their voices only seemed to grow fainter and fainter. Somehow I manage to wind up on top of the cliff that was near the herd and still yet I could hear my family’s pleas for me. I had to get to them.

So I jumped.

I jumped straight off the cliff and outstretched my wings in an attempt to glide over the last bit of brush and soon I found myself crash landing to the ground just past them. A few minutes passed as I recollected myself and then I realized something: nobody was here but me. What exactly was going on? Did everybody leave without me? Did I miss something? The wind picked up and my ears swiveled as I could hear my family once more deeper within the herd land.

“Hey,”

The single word was barely audible and it came from within the woods. Puzzled, I looked around to see if there was somebody out there that I hadn’t noticed. But the voice didn’t call out again so I turned back and made my way towards where my family was.

That was a mistake.

My ice blue eyes grew wide as I stumbled upon a scene that my father used to set for the old days. An unmoving sea of red with viridescent red waves rolling with the coming breeze revealing the bodies of those who had fallen. Breathing become short and panicked as I forced myself to move through what was once my home. Every time I passed a corpse it seemed as though a tear fell too. These were all people that I had loved. People I had lived with. Friends. Family. Young. Old. It seemed that whomever did this didn’t care who they killed.

Then I saw them. Or rather it.

Whomever they were, they appeared as nothing more than a shadow. My eyes squinted as I tried to see what they were hunched over in the distance. What were they doing? Why were they here? Why did they kill everybody? Where were mother and father?

“NO!”

Out of instinct, I bolted towards the thing that was hovering over my mother. As I made my way towards them the mysterious shadow disappeared – going back to wherever it had come from. Tears burned at my eyes as I reached my mother. But I was already too late. She had already passed and not far off in the distance laid my father’s corpse. Sobs racked my little body as I fell to the ground.

“No. No. No. No. No.”

For the longest time I wept over their bodies. Then my ears swiveled backwards as I heard something. Had the shadow come for me too? I didn’t dare look up. I didn’t want to dance. I didn’t have the will to dance anyways. For all I could have cared it could have taken me, but then a voice echoed within the air and seemed to carry me away as the earth shrunk beneath me.

“Are you alright?”

My eyelids snapped open as the words brought me back to the waking world. Quickly my eyes caught hold of the black and white stallion that stood near me. Frightened, I jumped up and backed up into the bush some more as an attempt to hide myself. But once again I was too late. The stallion had already seen me, and what more there seemed to be some darker colored being a little ways off.  I peered at them both with widened, fearful eyes. Just who were these two and why were they here?

Slowly, I took a step out of the bush – all the meanwhile sniffing their scents even though I already knew I didn’t know them. As I unveiled my golden and green body I lowered my head as a sort of cautious move. In fact most if not all of my body language probably screamed of fear, but what else was an orphaned year old girl supposed to do when her mother taught her not to talk to strangers?

@Areli @Mauja
"speech"

ARELI

Her voice was too soft to wake the sleeping girl, but perhaps it did some good—shortly after she called out, a grown-up emerged from the brush. Though some might be fearful of a stranger in the woods, Areli only breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of the newcomer. She was sure that the stallion would know what to do; grown-ups always did. Besides, she thought he looked kind of friendly in a way. The black spots spattered randomly across his pale hide seemed cheerful, like tipsy fleas dancing in the moonlight. And the scars? They didn’t bother her either, for Areli was no stranger to the occasional scraped knee. Scars were merely souvenirs of past adventures.
However, she didn’t immediately call out to him, for his attention seemed to be fixed on the sleeping girl. With a quiet question, he woke her. And then the stillness of the woods shattered.

It took Areli by surprise when the filly bolted upright and scuttled backwards so suddenly. Startled, she backed a few steps herself as Bee simultaneously shot towards her for safety. Still though, she was far too curious to flee. Instead Areli watched from a little ways off as the winged filly slowly peeked out of her hiding place. Her face was in shadow, but Areli could make out the creamy body and greenish wingtips—almost like Ilios’, she thought to herself. “It’s okay,” she offered, stepping forward, “It’s just us.”. Of course, she didn’t know who Mauja was either, but that was a small detail. She was sure that they would get to introductions soon enough, anyway.

OOC: I apologize for the length; I’ve got limited time but wanted to keep the Threshold posts moving!

"speech"

Ascended Helovian

Sleep. Mauja was lucky in the sense that he was seldom plagued by bad dreams, but he had known many who were.

(—it is when awake that I am haunted—)

And he was rarely awoken from the depths of your his madness, but again, he had seen many who were. Sleep was cruel in many ways, and yet they could not avoid it.

Despite the softness of their voices the girl bounced up and back like a startled doe taking flight. The intensity of the sudden movement brought the other girl back too, and caught in the center of their opposing forces, motionless, was the pale monolith that was Mauja. One black-rimmed ear flicked. Must've been the sleeper that had cried out earlier, then, and what she had expected when shaken from the darkness of her own thoughts .. slowly, the icy spell broke, and he shook his large head. Whatever it had been, he doubted she would find it here.

But, he thought sadly, she would find it elsewhere. Helovia had a tendency to be cruel.

So he waited, letting the seconds pass in silence. The startled girl hadn't gone far, just a little deeper into her bush, and the other waited patiently too. Mauja glanced at her. Why did he always end up alone in the company of little girls?

Slow, steady breaths passed out of black nostrils. Then, not much later at all, the creamy filly came creeping back out of her hiding place, head low, sampling their scents, reeking of fear. If he hadn't known better, he would've been insulted. Aside from being tall and white and sudden he couldn't be that frightening, now, could he?

So he chalked it up to whatever past that haunted her, listening as the other Pegasus spoke softly, stepping forward again. "It's going to be alright now," he murmured, his light voice barely more than a rumble in the back of his throat—lies and lies and poisoned lies but what else can you offer to someone who seems to have already lost everything?

[ @Galiel @Areli -- lmfaooo tipsy fleas xD ]

Hidden Account
Giaerie

When I ran and hid, I didn’t stop to notice that the other filly also seemed to back up and hide. But when both I peeked out from the bush and she stepped forward, I noticed that she wasn’t alone. There was some sort of…furry thing that hung around her hooves. And though my mind didn’t exactly scream danger about this…thing, my instincts were definitely telling me to be cautious about it. Why exactly, I had no idea but I had never seen anything like it before and thus knew nothing about whatever it was.

It’s okay, it’s just us.

Just us? JUST US?! Did this girl not realize who this just us really was? Let’s see, there was her, her furry thing, and a black and white stallion who didn’t seemed phased in the least by anything that was happening. It was almost as if he were a statue or something. Kind of creepy when I think about it. Like he just stood there. Waiting. Watching. Not moving. Yeah definitely creepy sounding.

It’s going to be alright now.

My ears swiveled as the statue decided to come to life and speak…or more so mumble. If I wasn’t already exhausted both physically and emotionally I probably would have rolled my eyes and made some sort of comeback of some sort to his statement. After all, how could anything be alright after losing your home and your family? It couldn’t that was the correct answer and it never would be alright. Nothing would ever…EVER be alright again. At least that’s how I felt right now.

“Vat you vant?” I spat the words out with a slight tremble to my voice. I was trying to sound tough, but that slight tremble - if either of them caught it - would give away the fear that plagued me. It was two…no three to one so I had to remain on my ‘A’ game. No way in hell was I letting them get the best of me right now.

@Areli @Mauja
"speech"

ARELI

“Vat you vant?” The girl fired the words like bullets from a machine gun, with a hostility so tangible that Areli’s ears flopped sideways, intimidated. The filly couldn’t be much older than herself, but she stood and spoke with an aggressiveness that was foreign to the darker child. Raised in the bosom of a loving family and a watchful herd, no one had ever been unfriendly to her, and Areli did not quite know how to deal with the emotions that the stranger’s rough demeanor elicited. It wasn’t so much the abruptness of the question, but rather the voice that asked it—a voice so sharp that it couldn’t be mistaken for anything other than downright mean. No one had ever spoken to her that way, no one! Even when she misbehaved and was scolded, Mama’s words never snapped and bit and tore like this girl’s did. They only nudged and prodded, eventually yielding to the warm love to which she was accustomed, the love which she had considered her birthright. What had she done to deserve such malice? For the moment, shock dulled any indignation that would later dawn. Cowed, she shrunk behind Mauja, leaving him to reply to the tougher girl’s demands.

Once she had placed the stallion between them, Areli began to feel more confident. Perhaps it was something about the solidity of the ample, well-muscled buttocks that partially blocked her from view, but she summoned up the nerve to peek out from beyond the spotted haunches. The stranger-girl still stood there, with a gaze so fierce that Areli’s own eyes quickly darted away. From between her legs, Bee licked her lips nervously, casting luminous eyes upwards at the pale pegasus yearling. Who was this girl? The pair wondered and looked on with wide eyes.

"speech"

@Random Event, did she contract it just now? None of her other threads have had her contract BFB from the RE account!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Areli has contracted BFB I think
Ascended Helovian

[ SORRY FOR STILL SPREADING DISEASE n__n; I am trying to get rid of it lmfao but that is slow going so far .. xD ]

He head misjudged everything. (No shit.) He had.. well, fuck, what experience did he really have with this? He could easily chalk up a handful of odd encounters in the Threshold—some sick mare raining acid that caught fire, dying and emaciated mares, stubborn and dying horses refusing to get off the ground, broken souls, lost souls, wandering princesses, strong souls, everything between heaven and earth. A mare who had looked at him like he was a complete and freakish idiot, and then followed him to his home anyway (using a retreating, crying Mauja as an indirect guide).

Having woken a young Pegasus filly (to be fair, aside from his attempts to infiltrate the Throat, this reign he now had was the first time he even attempted to bring non-unicorns home) from troubled sleep and have her spit some kind of accusation in his face was a new one.

(Still, words are words; he much preferred that to acid, flaming rain.)

There was a reason the majority of his children ended up distanced, detached, or angry with him—the fact that he lacked some kind of fundamental, intuitive understanding of how shit worked.

And it wasn't only with kids. It was with everything. Mauja expected one thing, because it was how he would react, but of course that never happened because he didn't react but everyone else had hearts that still beat and bled.

For years his emotional spectrum had been reduced to a narrow band of curiosity, mild amusement, and mild irritation. Love... Love had come with Irma; dark and wild and weird, intoxicating and frightening, powerful, overwhelming. Perhaps the strongest force of nature.

And as the icy dam kept bursting, cracks and fissures marring the solid perfection, more and more had come out in errant sparks; fury. Different kinds of love. Confusion.

Pain. Sorrow.

Yet he still expected everyone to just shrug everything off and act like nothing had happened. Mauja had run out of his own life with what seemed like no second thoughts, only realize years later that he wasn't done with that chapter.

Would never be, unless he started admitting things.

Point in case: the filly spitting out a tough “Vat you vant?” through the teeth of her fear was unexpected, and mildly hurtful. It felt like the whole I-licked-Johnny thing all over again, shying back inside and slamming the ice-walls down.

Apparently the brown filly felt the same, shrinking back behind him in a silence that spoke volumes of how those arrows had pierced her armor. And to be honest, Mauja felt like doing the same, to hide behind someone like a kicked dog that had only meant well.

But he had no one to hide behind, so he hid behind his dispassionate demeanor.

Ears flicked back in a half-sour face, pale eyes narrowing, every trace of emotion chased out of them, replaced with the rock-solid emptiness a close friend might recognize as that hurt. "To make sure you're alright," was what he responded, a vague note of hurt threading its way through his voice. "To make sure you have somewhere safe to go. To help you." He was old enough not to add, but I take it our help is unwanted, though oh gods how he wanted to—to just walk out on her, but that.. that would be the easy way. It wasn't what he was here for. It wasn't what he was King for.

It sometimes meant swallowing liters of tears and pain for the sake of someone else.

[ @Galiel @Areli ]

Hidden Account
Giaerie

Curious blue eyes watched my company carefully after I spoke. I had no idea as to who or what destroyed my home and stole my family from me and even though I was sure I was far far…far away from there, I didn’t know these people. For all I knew either one of them – or both of them – could have done it. Or taken part in it. If any one of them did I had to be ready to run. I had to be ready to get away. I had to…

Wait.

My head cocked to the side as I took notice of the darker filly’s reaction to my words. She…she hid. She hid behind the stallion. Quickly, my head turned to look away from them as I tried to think and understand what just happened. Did I really come off that tough or fierce? Was I really that intimidating? What exactly did I do to frighten her?

As I kept thinking my focus shifted towards the ground and my “tough” body language seemed to just disappear. Only when the other girl and her furry shadow peeked out from behind the stallion did I avert my gaze from the ground and to them but the other girl didn’t dare to make eye contact. What was wrong with her? What did I do?

I looked to the stallion, but to my bewilderment he seemed to wear a similar expression as the filly, if only for a second before his face turned into something else and his eyes narrowed. My ears turned backwards out of fear as he seemed to get ready to speak. This was it was what I thought. He was going to let me have it. I imagined him yelling at me, coming at me with hurtful words. So I looked back down and waited for whatever was to be thrown at me.

To make sure you’re alright,

What? With eyes wide, my head snapped back up to look at the stallion. Did he really just say what I think he said? I had to be dreaming. Geez, I was so exhausted that I was starting to hear things that I wanted to hear.

To make sure you have somewhere safe to go. To help you.

A cold chill ran through my body as he said the last bit. Now that time I knew I wasn’t dreaming or hallucinating. He was actually saying these things. I looked back at the ground as the expression on my face changed from surprise to somber.

“Oh,” it was all was able to utter as my stomach turned in knots and my mind spun. All they wanted to do was help me and all I had managed to do was attempt to push them away. What…what was wrong with me?

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled out with rolled r’s, “I didn’t mean to – “

Trying to apologize to them both, I looked up to the stallion and then over to the filly. But when I looked at her this time I noticed something different. Something not right. Then I noticed the spots on her and him. They were sick with something! A soft ah escaped me as I took a few stumbling steps backwards. The filly didn’t have them earlier did she? And if she didn’t then she probably got it from the stallion. Whatever it was they could keep it, I didn’t want any sickness.

“Vat is wrong vith you guys?” My voice shook as I asked them about their ailments. But eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I found myself observing and inspecting whatever it was they had, albeit from a decent distance away so not to catch their sickness myself.

“Vat you have anyvays? Vat is it called?”

"speech"

@Areli @Mauja

ARELI

When the stallion spoke, the girl peeked around him again. She wasn’t surprised that he was offering to help the bristling filly despite her unfriendliness; grown-ups had a way of doing that. It would have surprised her more if Mauja had decided to walk away, for to her adults were unfailably patient. The deep and steady timbre of his voice comforted her, and subconsciously Areli inched closer, drinking in the protection that came just by being in his proximity. 

The strange filly seemed to respond to the stallion’s even demeanor as well. During her next stolen glance, Areli noticed that her puffed up chest had now deflated greatly, almost as if it had caved in on itself. The change encouraged her, for though the stranger’s words had left a bitter taste in her mouth, the darker filly was still more confused than angry. Tentatively, she crept out from behind Mauja, ready to add to the conversation. But the creamy yearling beat her to it. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled, voice low. Areli’s ears tilted forward, and a small smile tugged at the corners of her muzzle, placated by the apology. 

“S’okay,” she piped up. “I bet we just startled you when we woke you up,” she continued, trying to make sense of the whole thing. The conflict, brief as it had been, made her uncomfortable and she was doing her best to brush the matter aside. “What’s your name?” Areli asked, shifting subjects in the only way she knew how. “’M’Areli, and this is Bee,” she finished, dipping her muzzle to rest on the pup’s head. The wolf yipped and wagged her tail at the sound of her name, presumably pleased to have been included.

But despite the girl’s best efforts, the introduction was bound to go awry. Suddenly, the stranger’s expression grew fearful, and she shied like a startled deer. “Vat is wrong with you guys?” the pale filly whispered, eyes fixated on the pair who had come to greet her. “Vat you have anyways? Vat is it called?”

For poor Areli, the other filly’s accusatory tone only added insult to injury. There she was, trying her best to make amends, but things weren’t going as she had anticipated. The feeling that she hadn’t been able to put a name to before swelled and rose in her chest, and Areli felt hot and prickly all over in a way that had nothing to do with the boils she had not yet noticed. “It’s called manners!” she snipped defensively. “But I guess you don’t have any, just like you haven’t got any sense. We’re just tryna help you!” she cried, punctuating her words with an emphatic stomp. 

OOC: Sorry for the wait!

"speech"

Ascended Helovian

Well. That went well. Or something

What did 'well' even mean in this context? The pale filly was shifting like a weather vane in a tornado. One moment, utter fear as the nightmares clung to her waking mind. The next, curiosity, replaced with the kind of spat-out toughness that made him think she was afraid beneath it, and then .. he supposed could only call it 'relative calm'. But who was he to blame her? He was doing the exact same, ever-shifting, slowly moving past the glaciers around his heart as the danger had passed.

The brown filly thought the same, coming out from behind him. It still felt odd to think she'd hidden behind him, a complete stranger who more often than not felt like a walking disaster everyone hated on sight. She was talking, trying to straighten things out, introducing herself, when it all shattered again.

It sounded like hail to Mauja, the weight of ice striking rocks. Beneath it something in his skull started screeching, a slow, insidious sound—like a keening, a rising, wailing crescendo, peaking with the indignant words of Areli and the sound of a hoof hitting the ground. Deep within him something answered, a resounding boom, and he felt like screaming with it.

To make them stop. To make everything stop.

He wanted the facts, laid out in a neat line. He wanted the clarity. The distance. He wanted detachment, to scour every trace of emotion from the creamy girl, every last bit of confused hurt from Areli, and every ounce of exhaustion from himself. He wanted to soar somewhere far from here, see it all from above, see it like a straight fucking line that somehow made sense—

—back up.

What was wrong with them? What was it they had? Manners, Areli said. Mauja snorted, about three seconds too late. The unknown filly was staring at them like they were devils in disguise, and something—something—clicked. There had to be more to it than just.. manners? Like, fuck, who cared about manners?

(Areli.)

I'm sorry.

Slowly, Mauja's great white head turned to peer at Areli, and at himself. She was brown. He was white, with black spots, and the healing scabs from the—

Shit. Was that a fresh spot of blood from one of them? Was that.. was that the beginning of it, upon Areli's flank? Was it, was it, but—he was so sure they'd been healing ...

"Fuck," he'd spat out before he knew it, a curse deep in the back of his throat. It had to be that, right? Or was he just seeing things? Thinking that, well, spot on him was just a lighter spot, and not a sore that had begun to re-open?

Why the fuck wouldn't this peculiar disease leave him alone?

And had it really jumped to Areli?

The rest of his body followed his head, dark velvet muzzle hovering next to Areli's shoulder as he turned around to face her. It undoubtedly looked like it could be the beginning of a sore .. so. Great. He was walking around, still spreading disease.

Fuck you Spark. Fuck you hard, man. The growl bounded around the back of his mind.

"I think," he began, voice soft and slow, "that Areli has caught the tail end of a magical disease from me." It was pretty great, y'know. Going to the Threshold do to his job, and instead scaring little girls and infecting others, all because he'd chosen to defend his downed owl and help kill a God.

Brilliant.

"You both should come to the World's Edge with me. I think I know someone who can cure you of the disease before it gets much worse, and it is a safer place than here." Having something tangible to do felt better than just standing around trying to soothe ruffled feathers and make sense of whatever else was going on around him. His blue eyes, once again gentle, fell on the young newcomer. "I could tell you more of where you've ended up once we're there, to help you make a good choice of where to go next." Slowly, the white Queen began to drift aside, hoping the girls would follow. If not .. well, who knows?

[ @Galiel @Areli -- if your characters will tag along I will start a thread in the Edge for us. It doesn't mean Galiel will have to join the Edge. ^^ ]

Hidden Account
Giaerie

I watched the filly as she stepped out from behind the spotted stallion. It seemed like she took comfort in the stallion’s words and I swear I saw a small smile in the works after my apology. Then she spoke up.

S’okay, I bet we just startled you when we woke you up. My eyes shifted to glance to the side of me. Well. That was one way of explaining why I reacted as so, but even still it wasn’t the full explanation. This girl would never, could never understand what had exactly happened to me. At least, not at this point in time. The stallion though, I wondered if he would. Would he understand why I acted the way I did if I explained everything to him? Or would he also be unable to understand? Perhaps I was just better to keep things to myself for now.

What’s your name? ‘M’Areli and this is Bee. Ears twitched as she spoke. The way she spoke confused me slightly. S’okay? M’Areli? What type of words and/or names were those? Was her name Mareli or was it some sort of terminology in this country that I had yet to comprehend. So. Not to offend her with a mispronunciation I decided to just simply nod and err well nod.

“Oh, um, my name,” I started suddenly almost forgetting to respond back to her due to my worry over whatever it was they were sick with, “My name is Galiel.”

Before I knew it, the filly was yelling at me. It’s called manners she had said angrily. Instantly my ears folded backwards and my eyes narrowed somewhat as she continued insulting me. Her and I didn’t seem to be starting off on a good hoof. But honestly, I only asked for the sake of all. Like what was so wrong about worrying over your own health as well as the health of others? There was no need for her to get all hot and heated about it.

“I know vat manners are and I do to has zem!” I spoke to her in an irritated manner, “I vas just asking because you are zick vith sumzing! Look.”

At the word look, I pointed towards her flank which obviously had the start of some sort of spotted rash. I didn’t however touch her at all, they could keep their sickness and hopefully get better before too long.

My attention quickly turned to the stallion as a rather colorful word escaped his lips. Did he know what this sickness was? Did he know how to treat it? Perhaps maybe he could treat it? All while wondering what exactly he knew and could possibly do however my eyes grew wide with surprise and I looked at the filly. He, he said a bad word in front of us. IN FRONT OF US! What type of place…no, stallion was this?

I think, that Areli has caught the tail end of a magical disease from me. His words hung and danced in the air around me. Magical? Disease? From him.

HE THINKS?

“You zink? Do you not know?” I asked with a cautious but somewhat caring tone. Areli and I, though we may not have started out the greatest were suddenly pinned onto the same side. This stallion was sick with something and he exposed both of us to it. Areli, I guess, just got the short end of the stick. Then my ears caught his next slew of words.

He wanted both of us to go with him to this edge of the world place. And yet, I sure as hell didn’t know who he was. Sure it sounded nice that he knew someone who could cure the disease and that this place was safe. Granted I couldn’t exactly imagine the edge of the world as safe (imagine horses just falling off…yeah nope). His eyes fell upon me as he continued to speak. Though this time he was saying he could tell me more of where I was and then I could decide where I wanted to go afterwards. Silently, I let my ice blue eyes look towards Areli and I tried to calculate some sort of response to this stallion.

“Vait,” I blurted out to the stallion, “Muzzer alvays told me not to speak vith strangers and never to go vith zem eizer,” I looked once more to Areli and then back to the stallion again, “But I vill go if she goes to zis edge of ze vorld place.”

Talking about mother saddened me, but I had to get somewhere safe be it with the stallion or Areli. Whomever or wherever that would be first, hopefully they had a place where I could continue sleeping. A yawn escaped me as I thought about that but quickly shook my head in retaliation. No sleeping until I was somewhere else!

"speech"

@Areli
@Mauja
ooc// um... i guess gali will go if areli goes lol xD

ARELI

“I know vat manners are and I do too has zem!” the girl who called herself Galiel cried. “I vas just asking because you are zick vith sumzing! Look,” she entreated, gesturing at Areli’s flank.

“Sick!” the brown filly repeated, with an incredulosity dangerously close to sarcasm. “Am not…” But here she turned and saw the damning proof upon her hide, the blistering bubbles that were beginning to peek out from the soft baby fur that she hadn’t quite managed to shed yet— “…sick,” she whispered, eyes wide in shock and fear. From her hooves, the pup gave a throaty whine, sensing her mistress’ distress.

“What are those?” she asked no one in particular, voice trembling audibly. “They weren’t there—” she hiccuped, “—before…?” Frightened by the angry bumps, her golden eyes were rapidly filling with great salty tears that threatened to brim over. And then before her horrified gaze, a boil burst and oozed, the pus crawling down her slim side in a sickening glob, like some engorged and bloated slug fleeing the light when its log is overturned. “It hurts!” she whimpered, and the tears began to fall in pain and panic. “It—hurts!” the girl sobbed again, and the wolf howled mournfully along.

Mauja’s soft and slow voice was much less effective at comforting her now, but through her choked cries Areli caught his explanation, and she clung to the reassurance he offered like the dying girl she very much thought that she was. Galiel, however, was much more skeptical. With caution that would have made Mama proud, the pale filly hesitated, but Areli lacked her prudence. She had already decided to go with Mauja: though she did not know him, though he had given her this disease, he knew how to fix this. So she put her faith in him, trusting his promise of help. “’Kay,” she sniffled, following closely behind. “I…jus’…wanna…make…’t…stop!” she managed to choke out before dissolving into tears again.

"speech"

Ascended Helovian

There was something in the back of his mind—like an itch, that deep, sarcastic voice that used to roll in there. It was whispering, soft as a predator, the lightest of chilling touches down your spine, murmuring in his ear. Spread your wings it whispered, biting and dripping venom, drawing chalk figures in his soul. Spread your wings it whispered, and Mauja's jaws tensed slightly. Why couldn't he forget that meeting? Why couldn't he forget his clumsy choice of words?

Why couldn't he get it out of his head, this perfect ruse? The lightest touch of disease, some pity and a solution, and easy as pie he had two fillies in his grasp—hooked, ready to be hauled home.

He swallowed, one ear flicking back as their bickering kept going back and forth. I have manners! You're sick! I'm not sick!

But you are, he thought sadly, the walls of his heart turning to cold stone.

It wasn't that he would do anything to either of them, except what he'd just told them. It was just the stark reminder of how cruel the world was, and that you could trust no one. That any amiable stranger in the Threshold could be out to get you.

Mauja's paranoia had run him ragged over the years, to the point of him going numb—but there was that tiny, flickering spark of it still living in his chest. The theory of it lingered in his veins like a constant reminder, that voice always speaking of wolves and madness and the fragility of mortal life—

“It hurts!” He felt like the perfect creature from a story—mysterious in his white, wise in his detachment, safe in his looming stature and the vast shadow he cast.

And just like the words that made the stories up, he felt hollow.

Lifeless.

Empty.

He saw the slowly blossoming boils forming in the depths of her soft brown pelt, he saw the tears pooling in the corners of her beautiful eyes, but he felt nothing. Just.. nothing. He should feel concerned, or guilty, or maybe annoyed with the previous exchanged of words—but there was just this vast nothingness spreading out over his soul.

Shutting down, he supposed, taking a final glance at his odd company. Poor Areli, crying and whimpering; her pup Bee howling with a pain she probably couldn't yet understand, only feel in the depths of her soul. And finally Galiel, the prickly dreamer with a peculiar accent.

He glanced down his own thick forelegs to his hidden, frosted hooves. Mauja, Queen of Nothing, still nameless on this day.

[ @Areli @Galiel -- for some reason Mr Mau demanded I post here again, gonna get our Edge thread up next <3 ]