the Rift

a .n e w c o m e r. calls [Amadeus/Paladin/herd]

Kanti Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

White was everywhere, except for where it was not. Covering the ground was where it was, glimmering new-fallen snow. It was early in Frostfall yet, but already the branches of the trees were weighted with the icy fluff, as were the peaks of the mountains nearby. Along the mountains' base trees dotted the landscape; at the very top of the mountain, blue-grey rock stood starkly against the light blue sky. The simple beauty was of a certain elegance lacking in the other seasons. So few hues - the whites, greys, blues - made for an unchanging, yet never boring palette. The shades were constantly changing with each new draft of wind, each new ray of sun. Brilliance incarnate.

It was through this wonderland that Kanti now jogged with her companion. Perhaps she could learn to like winter, if there were sights like this in it. A gust of cold air wrapped around her, banner fluttering wildly. Well, maybe not. She glanced to her side, where the chocolate stallion from the Threshold had settled, and a smile worked its way onto her maw. The sun, though not warming in the least, illuminated the dappling in his pelt, and the both of them shining in the light was quite the sight, if she did say so herself. Her own bi-colored pelt reflected not only the sun's gaze, but also the snow, leaving her practically glowing.

As they continued on, plowing through knee-high drifts, her cheerful voice was heard. "So," she began, "if you're new, then you probably have plenty of questions about Helovia. Why, when I first arrived, I was shocked that there was such thing as a winged or horned horse! And then they told me about magic - well, there's just so much more here than there was back home!" Her auds flicked around, listening to their hoofbeats crunch through the unbroken snow. She would call for Paladin soon enough - he would, after all, have to approve of the newcomer. Kanti hoped that he would - she liked the stallion already.

Amadeus Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Amadeus
When Life gives you lemons, accept them and trust they will be useful later

Amadeus gazed around at the starkly beautiful landscape. Personally, he preferred Orangemoon to Frostfall, but the coldest season had it’s own quiet charm. The weak sunlight glinted on the snow and ice, a dazzling sight. The cold breeze blew a small amount of snow, some of it settling on his dark pelt for a moment before melting against the heat of his body. His companion seemed almost fae here in the open landscape, a being formed of sunlight and new snow. He felt lucky that she had found him and invited him to this wondrous place.

Then she spoke and he found himself captivated by her words. “Horses with wings and horns? “ His tone was a mixture of childlike curiosity and awe. “Such things truly exist here? I thought they were just stories.” He tried to imagine meeting one of these fabled creatures, but couldn’t wrap his mind around their existence. “Do any live here?” The magic part was less mystical to him, as he possessed some of his own. Earth magic to be precise. Perhaps he could show Kanti sometime, as long as it wouldn’t frighten her. He’d have to talk to her about that more later.

He found himself glancing around for signs of any other horses. Of course he was enjoying his time with Kanti, but he also wanted to make certain he would be allowed to stay with this herd. Surely there was a leader somewhere whose approval he’d have to earn. Or were things run differently here? He almost asked, but then decided not to worry about it. He was sure that if there was a leader then they’d cross paths sooner or later. In the meantime, there was so much to learn about this new land. He lowered his head and used his muzzle to toss snow at his companion. “Tell me everything,” he demanded playfully.

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
info or quote

Paladin mused that his scar tissue from his burns were immune to the cold as he pushed through large snow drifts. The snow thinned once nearer to the mountains, but the herd still liked to wander. He moved with them, intent on keeping watch in case danger would befall those who trusted him to keep them safe. Two, curious strangers appeared in the distance, and he snorted a puff of frost. He approached, a dark, violent vision cast upon the pure, white snow.

Though his appearance was wicked, the stallion was a gentleman at heart, wanting nothing more than peace and equality - a life he had never had. Before his previous home was destroyed, he had lead a land called "The Tides" to its longest period of uninterrupted peace and equality since its formation, but that place was only a memory of shadows and shades. He frowned a little, shaking his head to rid himself of trying to think on the past. Paladin let out a short call to let them know that he recognized their appearance. "Greetings, you two," he said once he neared them.

One was a curious, bay equine stallion and the other a fair, spotted equine. The stallion smiled, wondering if the blossoms of love were forming between their playful antics. He missed his love, Soleil, but soon enough they would be reunited. "I am Paladin the Valiant," he told them with a gentle smile. "Are you interested in hiding out from the snow? We can escape the cold if we move closer to the mountains."

Unregistered

Amadeus appeared to be as enthralled with the thought of creatures of legend as she had been when she had first arrived. With a smile, Kanti danced closer to the stallion, gently nudging his shoulder. "You sound like me," she informed him with a carefree giggle. "This was all so insane when I first got here. Paladin, that's the leader of the Foothills herd, he's a unicorn. I've only seen him, haven't actually met him so far. A mare named Query brought me to the Foothills. She was very kind to me." The snow crunched beneath their hooves. She was beginning to get very fond of newly fallen snow.

In the distance, a figure appeared, approaching them fairly rapidly. The dark bodice and red-tipped banner marked the unicorn as Paladin. Before he arrived, Kanti tossed her head toward the Valiant. "That is Paladin." When the lead arrived, Kanti dipped her head respectfully. She had yet to meet him, she was ashamed to say, and she was somewhat nervous about bringing a stranger to the Foothills. "Good afternoon, sir. I'm afraid we haven't met officially, but Query brought me to the Foothills but a few short weeks ago. My name is Kanti. This," she gestured to Amadeus, "is Amadeus. He was wandering the Threshold, and I thought perhaps he could spend Frostfall in the Foothills, if that's alright?" Realizing she had rambled, and her tongue had gotten away from her, she ducked her head shyly, waiting for Paladin's verdict.

[W/C | 249]

Amadeus Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Amadeus
When Life gives you lemons, accept them and trust they will be useful later

The leader is a unicorn? Wonder what he’s like… As if on cue, a black form came into view that Kanti quickly identified as Paladin. He reached them more rapidly than Amadeus had expected, and the bay gazed at the fairytale beast in awe. He imitated the golden filly, lowering his head slightly to show his respect and murmuring a brief greeting, but his eyes kept wandering back to the spiraled horn that jutted proudly from the stallion’s head. Are unicorns born like that? Though that would be really painful for the dam…Maybe the horns grow as the foals do?

His thoughts were recalled as he heard Kanti speak his name, and he managed to catch the end of the conversation. “I promise not to cause any trouble, sir. And of course I’d be happy to help if there’s any work that needs doing. I won’t fight, but if you have any elderly or injured members who may need assistance, or young ones that need watching, or any other such tasks then I’ll gladly do them.” The stag appeared rather intimidating, but his words had been kind, and Amadeus felt hopeful. Surely he would be allowed to stay, even if he wasn’t a warrior? He thought of his magic, and decided to tell Paladin of it, just on the off chance that it would be helpful. “Also, sir, though I am uncertain if it will be of use to you, I possess Earth magic that allows me to create landslides.” Not wanting to appear boastful, he once again allowed his skull to dip down. “I hope you will allow me to join your herd, but if not then I understand.”

OOC:
Walking the walk
Talking the talk
Thinking my thoughts

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
The sound of iron shocks is stuck in my head

Paladin remembered a time long ago when he had met Soleil and wondered if the fact that she was born without a horn made her a defect of the unicorn kind. The stallion had not been aware that hornless unicorns even existed, and now, he was madly in love with one. The universe had a funny way of throwing new experiences at you, and he was glad that he has experienced its trickery.

The golden femme introduced her friend, and he smiled pleasantly at the two, his crimson orbs as warm and inviting as they could possible be. She was shy, and he furrowed his brows, wondering if he had an ill reputation already. Then, the charcoal unicorn listened to Amadeus, and he smiled. Paladin admired those who did not have war and violence in their hearts, and the stallion absently wondered if he would have been that way given the chance. "You are most welcome here, Amadeus," the lead said in a deep tenor.

"You are welcome to stay as long as you wish, though I would appreciate having your skills as a permanent residence if you wish to join the herd," he said. "Follow me." Paladin lead through the soft snow up north where the mountains loomed overhead like monuments to a fallen king. Once they were nearer to the hills, the snow thinned and the wind was blocked by the rocky structures. "Perhaps with your magic, you can clear some of this snow. I encourage you to try if it is possible," the stallion said, smiling kindly at the blue eyed bay.

"We have other positions open other than that of warrior. You can be a diplomat if you enjoy traveling, and spying if you enjoy that sort of thing." The stallion smiled at the golden pinto as well. "You are welcome to choose another rank too, if you wish."

Unregistered

Paladin was so kind! For whatever reason, it was unexpected. It wasn't that Kanti had expected him to be mean or scary - no, it wasn't that at all. But weren't leaders supposed to be a bit arrogant? Surely not so down-to-earth and, well, normal! She listened to his words carefully, a smile breaking across her maw when Amadeus was invited to stay. How lovely! She would have a friend here! And then they were instructed to follow. Her legs kicked into a merry trot, following her chief to the shelter of the rocks. As he explained the various jobs within the herd, a small frown appeared.

The thought of what she might do had never really crossed the young fae's mind. She had wandered for so long, never truly settling in any one place, never learning a trade or even any particular skillset. Truth be told, she had made it this far on luck rather than survival skills. Making friends was her talent, as it was so easy for her to like a trust everyone. But so naive, she wouldn't be able to spot a lie if someone told her to watch for it. She was a lover, not a fighter; friendly, but not cunning; she had no real skills. She wouldn't, then, be any good in the positions that Paladin described.

What would she be able to do? They would expect her to do something to earn her place, wouldn't they? It was something to consider, and soon - but for now, she should just show her support to Amadeus. She was a bit curious, and a bit frightened, to see his magic at work. Of all the things in this strange world, magic was the strangest. She had never seen it worked firsthand - what was it like? To keep from appearing rude, she answered Paladin: "I'm going to have to consider where I would be most useful, sir." Her sky blue orbs watched the chocolate stallion curiously. Yes, she would worry about her own job later. For now, she would just worry about Amadeus.

[W/C | 348]