the Rift

[OPEN] second time lucky (welcoming)

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
@Ruairi and anyone welcome!

The journey from the Threshold is a long one, but one Nyx has walked many times. With company, the time simply flies. Chances are, poor Rue is regretting ever coming with her, after having her ear talked off the whole way here. Nyx has endeavoured to point out each and every landmark on the journey, as well as the directions to each of the main lands. Once the silver mare starts off on something, she is rarely silenced until her companion either flees for the hills or tells her to shut up. Dominus, lurking behind them during the trek, had eventually grown so tired of his bonded's yammering that he ventured off to hunt, leaving Nyx's mind strangely empty and devoid of his presence.

Finally, the Edge is in sight. Nyx finds her heart singing at the sight of it; contrary to when she arrived here with Lace last time, with heavy hooves and a heavy heart as she worried what she'd done, this time she feels content. She has managed to bring home a mare who seems normal, friendly and a valuable addition to the herd (if she chooses to stay), which will hopefully go some way to reparing the damage to her reputation from bringing Lace. "Welcome to the Edge," she says as the herdland blossoms into view. Her home. For all its faults, she loves it, guards it, fights for it. She hopes Ruairi will soon feel the same way.

There's a sudden crunch as the ironheart's hoof presses into a fragment of shattered glass. She glances down, kicking the glass away dispassionately. Hard to believe a mighty wall once stood here. "Mind your feet, there's broken glass scattered around here. We once had a great glass wall standing around the land's perimeter, but it was recently destroyed." At least that removes the occupational hazard of walking into it, something the silver soldier had done many times.

She draws to a halt, casting her head around in a grand gesture. "Hopefully a couple of other herdmembers will come to greet you and offer you entry. Until then, have you any questions?" If you're not already bored of my voice, she resists the temptation to add.

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Ruairi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ruairi

Images of stumps carpeted in moss, worn stone outcroppings, and trees bent to unusual shapes swirl through my mind’s eye as I struggle to retain the tidal wave of information Nyx is pouring over me. The landmarks seemed easy enough to recognize as they were pointed out, but I find myself struggling to remember their names and locations once we move farther down the path. I’m not even sure I’d be able to see any of them from the air, but Nyx is excited to share them with me so I do my best to commit each marker to memory.

We’re still nestled beneath a canopy of green when she announces our arrival to the Edge. Peering between thick trunks I can see some open spaces and the glimmer of water stretching across the horizon farther north.

“Oh!” I exclaim, thrilled by the prospect of strong coastal winds beneath my wings. “You didn’t tell me you lived near the ocean! Although I guess you did say it’s The Edge.”

I know the exact expression taking over my face – eyes twinkling, brows quirked, that ridiculous half-smirk plastering itself across my mouth - but I’m powerless to control it. Puns are hilarious; really an underappreciated part of spoken language. I’m sure I've got something else clever to add when an unexpected chink draws my eyes and ears down.

”A glass wall?” I question. Even reduced to tiny fragments the glass glitters with light and color. It’s as if there are hundreds of tiny sunsets winking at me from between the blades of grass. ”Why would anyone break it?” I ask sadly. Why would anyone destroy something so beautiful?

@Nyx

The silver is distinctly pleased with Ruiari's exuberance - it's good to see somebody react the same way Nyx herself had when she first clapped eyes upon the wonder that is the Edge. Times may have changed and years may have passed, but this land remains - in the ironheart's humble opinion - the most beautiful in Helovia. "Pretty, isn't it? Nothing like that ocean air to invigorate the body." Maybe that's why she likes it here so much. She can only imagine how the pegasus will feel, catching those thermals beneath her wings and soaring like a gull over the waves...for a second, she's almost jealous.

She steals a glance at the other mare's face, trying to gauge her reaction. Aside from seeming highly amused by her own pun - which Nyx had also given a small chortle at - the silver can't quite tell how she's feeling, but she isn't glowering in disgust which has to be a good sign. Rue asks why anybody would break anything so beautiful as the wall, and, embarassingly, Nyx realises she doesn't actually know the details of how the fortification met its grisly end. "I have no idea. It was truly a stunning piece of architecture, but I'm sure it can be rebuilt one day. The herd's Glazier has the ability to mould glass." She isn't sure why the wall hasn't already been rebuilt, as she hadn't been privvy to Torleik and Mauja's conversations after their ascension relating to the fate of the wall. She assumes there's a reason, and not just pure laziness.

As no other herd members seem to be incoming, Nyx feels obliged to fill the silence with some more information. "The herd is ruled by two unicorn stallions, named Mauja and Torleik. Mauja's white and spotty, so he's hard to miss. Torleik is big, black and brooding." And hot. Well, they both are, but finding Mauja attractive is probably about as productive as finding an iceberg attractive. "Where do your interests lie, Rue? Are you a warrior? A healer?" Nyx tilts her horned head curiously at the other mare, questioning.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
If Nyx is, for a second, almost jealous—well, Mauja is permanently so.

But let's not talk about that.

Instead, let's talk about the white shadow drifting through the Edge, fog playing around his sturdy legs, eyes darting this way and that. Let's talk about the red blood twinkling like tiny diamonds from the pin-pricks on his withers, their matching twins glittering upon the talons of an owl just as pale as he—(basically, a poetic interpretation of Mauja's whimsical wandering through the Edge, and his eldest owl's playful flight around him.)

Nothing quite like nearly dying to re-instate ones' appreciation of life. Irma twirled through the air, darting this way and that, movement causing her blood to course swiftly through her veins, healing, healing, healing, but as with all things that have narrowly avoided a violent demise she grew tired more quickly than she should.

The price of healing, Mauja simply told her, taking comfort in the familiar weight settling upon his shoulders, and barely noticing the pricking sensation of fresh blood being drawn next to the old and black.

Diego was off somewhere else, hunting mice in a clearing. His thoughts were distant and drawn, but each time Mauja ventured near his soul he responded with warmth.

The younger owl was finicky, in his own ways, crippled by the weight of Mauja's fragile psyche and hiding behind a wall of amused arrogance.

It seemed a repetition of Mauja's younger self, but the sun-warm heart behind the walls of ice had them melting. Give him another year or two, and Mauja suspected Diego would be one adorable ball of fluff and love.

Diego told him it was not very likely, but it had little bite to it, and Mauja laughed.

So, yes. He laughed, out of thin air, as he walked into the path of Nyx and Ruairi, an owl still as a statue sitting upon his scarred withers.

Hello, welcome to the madhouse.

His laugh tapered off, ears flicking. Now what had he gotten himself into? Here Nyx had—hopefully—brought a respectable Pegasus mare into their home, and Mauja walked out of the woodwork, laughing at nothing they knew anything about.

Well, first impressions are supposed to be great, right? It took effort not to snort and sigh at himself. Queen Mauja, the one who hardly needed company because he could talk to himself!

Well, his owls, but who the fuck knew about that.

"Hello," he called flippantly to them, blue eyes twinkling as he resisted the urge to caper around and laugh. (Get a fucking grip on yourself, moron.) But it was so tempting, to just not give a single shit about anything, and do what he pleased, and, well, scare off cute little mares. Which would be bad. Slowly, he shifted towards them, thoughtless grace causing his head to rise as his body re-aligned itself. The red dun seemed a bit thin and leggy still; Nyx soft as silver, instead of iron-hard.

Or was it just the light?

"Who may you be?" he asked—kindly, his voice light and gentle, his eyes bright, smile merry—the stranger, hoping she would not.. well, what? He didn't even know what the fuck was going on, but he wanted to run and prance with them and leap off the Edge and fucking soar

Bad idea, Mauja. Bad idea.

[ say hi to mister derp .. @Nyx @Ruairi -- want a rank change? ^^ ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Ruairi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ruairi

Surprise widens my eyes and pulls them up to meet Nyx's. "A horse made this? Or... a unicorn?" I ask, brows pinching together in thought. Had any of my mother's bedtime tales of the pure and majestic unicorn mentioned something like this? Not that I can remember - and I think that I would.

Unicorn magic had always been an ethereal, indefinable quality in my mind. They were the magic rather than wielders of magic. At least they were - when I was younger and believed in that sort of thing. It's hard to keep the mysticism of unicorns alive when you compare the absurdity of a horned horse to that of a winged horse, but maybe I'd just gotten it all wrong.

Glazier. The word echoes in my mind as I struggle to follow the rest of the grey's tour monologue. It must just be a title to her, but I want to ask so much more. How does he do it? What else can he do? Did he become a glazier or was he always one? Could he teach me to do that? Do pegasi even have magic? I didn't know unicorns had magic until today, not really, so it wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to dream of would it?

"Uhm..." Too many questions want asking first, even with this perfect opportunity to ask them. Luckily for me, or unluckily for my curiosity, someone else has chosen this very moment to join us and I'm given a few extra seconds to compose myself.

White and spotty was right. "Hello King Mauja!" The words come easy and so does the smile spreading across my face. He seems so... light. Like a foal just barely keeping himself contained under his parents orders. I get the feeling he would romp and rollick with little invitation, though the large, white owl on his back would probably object.

"I'm Rue." No faux pas this time, just a courteous bend of the knee and head.

OOC: Yes, please. :)
@Nyx @Mauja

She nods to the girl's question. "Yes. To my knowledge, the wall was created by the herd's Glazier a few years back. God knows how long it took them - it was truly a feat of engineering." There's a wistful look in her eyes as she glances down at the shattered remains of the once-beautiful wall, remembering it in all its stunning glory.

Speak of the devil. No soon has she mentioned Mauja than he appears, a white wraith out of the Edge with his owl sitting on his shoulders. From miles away where he is happily eating his way through the resident rabbit population, she feels Dominus' mental instructions to stay well away from the owl, with all its pointy bits and sly gaze. "Sharp claws, sharp mind," he warns. She smiles for a moment, shutting her eyes and letting herself be filled with the high emotions of her bonded; the stalk, the catch, the kill. Being mentally linked to a predator certainly has its downsides, especially for a mare like Nyx who had once been so damn afraid of them she would run a mile at the sight of something with sharp teeth. Dominus has ensured her carnivore phobia has lessened slightly, but his personality is all-consuming. She can't imagine how Mauja must feel, bonded to two winged hunters.

Little wonder he's so odd.

He's laughing, which is mildly concerning, and one of the silver's furry ears flicks forwards at the strange sound. When he speaks, his voice is as soft as velvet, rather than as sharp as ice, and she finds herself frowning suspiciously. Either he's high, or he just got laid. Hmmph. If Torleik is walking funny next time she sees him, then she'll know why. Or maybe this is how he acts around potential new herd members, innocents who haven't seen those owls swoop with eyes like fire and beaks like knives, who haven't seen him summon spikes of ice taller than a horse or birds of flame that bite and scorch. She makes herself relax, and return his smile. "Hello, Mauja," she says, oh-so-formally. No jests about Mr Spots or Ice Queen or any such thing - best not to make Rue think she has joined a family of mad, nicknaming children!

"Rue here has expressed an interest in joining us." She looks between the pegasus mare and the unicorn stallion, feeling her muscles tense for a moment as she remembers how racist he'd been the first time she'd met him. She dearly hopes those murderous instincts have faded over the years, but she can feel the iron in her muscles just in case.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
Well. None of them laughed at him—which he wasn't sure was good or bad. Like, if they had, would it have been at him? Or with him? (But how can they laugh about something they don't know of?) So, while he had to suffer through a recovery that wasn't his most elegant, he didn't have to suffer through more ridicule than he'd already brought down on himself. And frankly, he would rather take it in stride than go through that.. heart-shattering moment of they think I'm a freak—he knew that sensation all too well, like little needles of ice forcing their way through his veins; through his lungs; through everything, leaving bleeding rashes in their cruel wake.

"Hello King Mauja!" King. King. King king king. King Mauja. He never figured out what to make of it, ever since his return—ever since he had shouted the King is dead, and maybe they'll see it, in the twitch that earns him a glare from the owl, or in the brief, glassy look in his eyes.

He couldn't even explain it, the multitude of things passing through his mind at the sound of those words in conjunction—King, and his own name. It was like they were calling for the dead, and ghosts can't answer—but the mare was smiling, so sweet, and before he even knew it she'd dipped her head and bent her knee, light as the feathers upon her wings. Rue, she said her name was, echoed closely by Nyx. He nodded to her.

"Please," he rumbled gently, not quite thinking along the same lines as Nyx—why hide the fact that they were mad, nicknaming children? Mauja was Mauja and he was old enough to be proud of it (eh—not really, not all those bloody secrets, not all the shame and guilt still locked behind clenched teeth), old enough not to.. care?

It was a mess—he cared when it wasn't well received, but he wasn't going to cover up the fact that he could be a right derp.

"Queen Mauja," he went on, barely aware of the thoughts and reflections racing like falling stars within his own head, "but I prefer just Mauja. No need for all the bendy-knee-ness either." A slight frown furrowed his 'brows, a temporary shadow cast over the blue of his gaze; it felt like he'd forgotten something..? His head tilted, forelock sliding off the side of his face. A second later the shadows cleared. Geeze. Idiot. "And of course you can stay here!" Ta-daa. Light bulbs.

[ @Nyx @Ruairi || Requested a change for you a few days ago, sorry for the wait :/ I've gotten severely backlogged on my threads the past couple of weeks, and being in the middle of moving doesn't help! The actual move is tomorrow so hopefully I'll become faster after next week. Also lmfao Snow when you put it like that Mauja sounds very .. dangerous ... ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here