the Rift

Dancing with a devil {OPEN}

Selene Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: selene_2_by_horsewhisperer101-d5gv9pd.png]

Say goodbye, as we dance with the devil tonight.
Don’t you ever look her in the eye, as we dance with the devil tonight.

Sharp ebonite daggers carried the femme fatal effortlessly, lifting high with every step and coming down hard at the dust ridden ground to send up little clouds of powder. She moved in an elegant high stepping trot, weightless tassels drifting like silk with her every movement. Her banner was lifted high with something closely resembling pride, but in truth I could not describe this emotion of hers. Her pelt shined in the bright unforgiving rays of the sun, ivory markings scattered across her pelt on a base of grullo, formed like the pattern of a pinto. Her soft skin was drawn taut over a base of muscle, just enough to show she was no push over and also just right to keep her feminine beauty. Serpentine was carried extremely high, a perfect base for her tiara. Her mask was formed delicately, beauty etched into every line that curved with her visage in perfect white. Her forelock drifted to her right and around her ear, out of her eyes for now. Thorns of mismatched white and grullo were pinned down almost forcefully, irritated by the constant blow of the wind. Her eyes roamed the land, mindful to every little detail as she moved onward. Oh those mirrors, just look at them, the deepest russet with a light brown core. If one looked closely one could see a hint of deviousness in those orbs, but coming too close would be fatal. You know what they say about small packages? Yeah, now that was this girl right here, come to close and you might just lose something that’s of worth, like your life… Standing at 15 hands she was not the tallest equine around, but her height, just like her extreme beauty, was a front; a perfect disguise. Everyone underestimated this little mare, and they then paid dearly for their mistakes.

Before me rose a majestic tree, its boughs reaching up like bony fingers into the light sapphire sky. It swayed slightly with the wind as my pistons slowed me to a walk. I halted and then closed my eyes for a small moment, breathing the air and sampling the scents, trying to discover if any equines were nearby. Just my luck, the wind came from behind me, making it impossible to discern any scent in front of me. Instead it carried my own scent out before me, a banner to any equine nearby that a mare had arrived. Whatever! I did not care for any of these weak creatures. It was the draft stallions I had to be careful about. None ever tried to harm me though. Well it depends what you see as HARM right? Yeah thought so. Lets just say they wouldn’t try and kill me.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The chill of Frostfall attempted to enter the very bones of the smallish raven mare that wandered towards the Threshold. She was lucky, for the magic that darkened her soul enabled her to create flames from within a powerful draconic fire-belly. Even now, in her equine bodice, she found warmth with relative ease, what with the magical, soul-binding bond she held with the majestic golden queen, Akaith. The World's Edge was relatively north in the world of Helovia, and though it held thousands of trees, they stood tall and strong - but naked of their leaves, and there was great patches where the lands still healed from the tantrums of the Sun God. The Sun God, who was apparently absent now, in the depths of winter.

As harsh and drought-ridden as TallSun was, it seems FrostFall will be as deep, and dark. The thoughts were shared in that magical bond that combined the souls of the equine and dragon, and the mare knew she was lucky to be able to find warmth in her land, that really should be feeling the same freezing conditions as the rest of the world. But a dragon's flame, when directed with care, could melt away the snows, provide fresh water, and find what was left of the autumn growth of grasses. The mare was not in the same condition she would be in the midst of Spring, but she was fairing better than she would have been had the walk of an Outcast still be calling her. Having a permanent land to all her own was something she had missed without even realising it, the World's Edge was the Goddess of the Moon's patron land, a land as close to her birthland as she had ever found.

And she had the Qian to keep her company, to help her build the land into a stronghold of peace and equality. A soft snort erupted through her nostrils, as snow swirled around her form. The pale, powdery substance stirred up as she walked. No cloak of shimmering, illusionary magic slung around her shoulders, today she walked, slowly healing, mending from the battle she herself had waged. Scars of deep lacerations were scabbing up along her hide, but she was otherwise clean, the bruises upon her ribs were nothing more than aches if she stood still for too long. Of course, the emotional wear and tear upon her soul had barely begun to heal.. The guilt she carried troubled her still, but she was always good at ignoring such things as emotions. She walked the Threshold now, with purpose, determination - but showing nothing more than passive indifference.

Mirage was never one to judge a book by its cover, nor was she one to pass judgement without first learning as much as she could about a situation. Ears pressed forward as a scent tingled her nostrils, curious. Akaith glided to her back, clinging to strands of charcoal hued mane with her strong claws. The mare pressed onwards, even sending out a whisp of melody to announce her arrival; it was not her usual habit, those who knew her would know, but the mare was in a less devious mood herself, and was perhaps, more hospitable than normal. Rounding the bend she became aware of the pegasus femme that stood before her, and nodded her tiara a smudge in acknowledgement, before allowing her tones to break through the velvet lips that curved in a shadowy smile.

"Greetings mare; welcome to Helovia. I am Mirage."

Unregistered
OOC: Sorry it looks so sloppy, but Selene will have a table soon...

The longer she waited the colder it got. Selene could literally feel the temperature dropping, as if Winter himself were coming to visit her. A soft snort erupted from her velveteen kissers, forming billowing steam that curled upwards. Mismatched grey and white thorns pricked up, listening to all the little sounds around her as she lingered upon the memories that plagued her mind. She ruffled her feathers and tucked her wings in tighter around herself, stomping one hoof at the ground. //Please let me out?// the voice in her mind asked, in quite the alluring tone. Yet another harsh snort resounded and she spoke loudly, not caring who heard her,

“NO!! Now stop asking!”

The grey roan sabino mare slapped her tail at her sides in an obviously irritated manner and rolled her amber eyes as she flicked her forelock away. She used to be beautiful, some would say she was beautiful now too, but her pelt was ridden with scars and bruises, most would never completely heal and her thin pelt would never cover them either. At least her face was mostly untouched, that was except for one crescent scar upon her forehead. Guilt was never late to arrive in her thoughts either but soon it faded just like all her other emotions did. The sudden melody of another mare floated to her thorns and Selene whirled around to face the stranger who suddenly appeared around the bend of a large tree. Selene’s thorns pinned backwards forcefully, indicating her foul mood for mere mili-seconds before she forced them up again. Her species was known for their peaceful nomadic ways and quickly she donned exactly that mask, suppressing the anger that was always present within her.

The other mare nodded and smiled at Selene and she almost gagged at her overfriendliness, but on the outside Selene had a calm expression with guarded amber eyes and ears that were fixed intently on this mare who now spoke,

"Greetings mare; welcome to Helovia. I am Mirage."

Selene forced herself to display equally pleasing manners but the battle that raged within her never surfaced. Instead she pleasantly dipped her own skull at the femme and spoke in an enchanting voice,

“Pleased to meet you, Mirage. I am Selene, newcomer to these lands.”

//How long are you going to keep up this façade, my dear?// The voice in her head spoke again, devious tones ridden in his voice. Selene forcefully shoved him to the back of her mind and gazed at Mirage, speaking again the moment she noticed the golden dragon on her back,

“What a beautiful creature! Is she your companion?”

Carefully the mare observed this femme, watching, waiting for a reaction to be given. She had to wonder at the expertise in which this Selene offered nothing more than polite returns to her words. But the hesitation, the seconds it took for her to respond spoke of something more. On the outside, it appeared as nothing more than thoughtfulness, that the mare was simply considering her words before speaking. Mirage could respect this; but then Mirage also knew a great deal about acting. The smile upon her lips, small and subtle that it was, disappeared as a vacant, indifferent expression glazed over her features, stony and unmoving as she drank in what this painted belle had to offer her. The words she spoke were innocent enough, and so Mirage responded to them approrpiately, nodding her tiara once and motioning to the golden queen that sat atop her withers.

"Her name is Akaith, we share a bond." The dragon moved to hold onto Mirage's mane higher up her nape, leaning over the shadowy mare's withers to better view the pegasus mare before them. Akaith enjoyed the attention given to her, unable to detect the subtle nuances of a liar. "What do you seek here?" The mare asked plainly, still wondering at the display of anger the mare had shown before, the swift bowing of her ears and the defensive manner in which she whirled around to face Mirage. Perhaps she had merely been taken by surprise? Perhaps she did not wish to be disturbed? Though her words suggested otherwise, they spoke of pleasure at making her acquaintance, which further led the little charcoal mare into wodner at what this new belle was made of. Treading with care, the mare dared to spend more time with this mare, perhaps she would unravel the truth before the conversation is done.

Unregistered

Selene noticed this other female literally dissecting her with hey eyes and she straightened her shoulders and kept a firm hold on the neutral façade that now clung to her mask. Absently she wondered if she knew that the mare she was seeing was just a front, a scapegoat if you will. Selene believed she was doing her a favor. After all, not many desired to know her true side. The black mare’s own expression became vacant and her small smile faded as it were. Selene bobbed her skull, ridding her eyes once again from that pesky forelock just as her mind started to taunt her yet again. //Just let go! You know you cannot hold this front for long in anyways.// For a shattered second her mask almost fell but Selene cringed and remained focused to hear what Mirage had to say,

"Her name is Akaith, we share a bond."

The dragon gripped tighter to Mirage’s mane and leaned forward to stare straight at Selene, which in turn made her shy away from the reptile’s intense gaze. Her gaze was so innocent that Selene could no longer bear to look there. Selene spoke, now gazing at the ground,

“You are lucky to have such a special companion…”

Though all her other words had sounded somewhat forced, Selen actually meant what she said this time though Mirage was quick to get to the point and asked Selene plainly what she was doing here. Selene lifted her gaze with a great deal of effort and strained to look into Mirage’s eyes. On the outside it looked like shyness, but within a war was raging. Selene smiled and replied,

“I am tired of living alone, I guess. I came searching… for what I do not know yet, but I guess I’ll know when I see it.”

//There, now that was neutral enough.// the voice in her head replied with a pleased tone. //She would not question you further, hopefully.//

"Selene Speak"

A brow raised at the mare, the only indication upon her otherwise vacant expression that a hint of curiosity existed within her. She complimented the bond that Mirage and Akaith shared, and it was a sentiment Mirage agreed with - she knew she was fortunate to be bonded with the majestic queen, the only bonded queen dragon within Helovia as far as she knew. There were of course wild queens - but that was unrelated to the situation at hand.

The painted mare spoke of being along, of longing for something, anything. It was a tale that sounded similar to exactly how Mirage had felt over a year ago, when she first arrived in these lands. She had been unwittingly searching for companions, for someone, or some one's, to share in her this adventure that was her life. She had succeeded in finding them, and had secured their loyalty in exchange for her own. They had then proceeded to prove their worth, to secure a land to call their own, their home.

"If you would care to tell me about yourself, perhaps I can help enlighten you to your own purpose here." The mare spoke carefully, her tones were quite dry compared to her earlier greeting. Times were too risky to invite any old creature to her home - she had to continue to protect the kin whom she called her own, and while she was willing to extend her trust to those worthy, she still held those who had already gained her trust in higher esteem, and with a sense of protective over them also in there. She asked this query of the painted maiden before her to see if she might inspire a similar reaction to that she had glimpsed before, a removal of the mask; perhaps then, Mirage would even remove her own mask.

[ooc : I am so sorry about the wait. Been crazy busy these last 3 weeks. Replies will be regular now :-) ]