Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

Fight the darkness,
It lives inside your heart,
It's not your fault my dear son,
It is simply your past.

The crowd dispersed at the end of the meeting but Mesec lingered, silver eyes moving to those he would say goodbye too but his hooves remained planted until most had left, until there was a clear pathway between him and the Sultana. She had spoken with passion about their family, about unity and acceptance. Was he a footnote to that? We accept everyone here, give everyone the benefit of the doubt, except the Moon’s child. It wasn’t that he could blame her, not really. He had thought the topic had ended the day he had spoken to Gaucho and received his blessing to live in the herd, work to become a part of the ranks and contribute in whatever way he could.

Swallowing hard, he moved forward - each step feeling heavy. But dread it as he did, he would not run from this meeting. He welcomed the chance to clear the air, to help chase away any concerns that she had. Mesec wasn’t evil, he wasn’t his mother. Wasn't a monster.

At least, he wasn't those things most of the time. He still wondered what he was like as the monster, what exactly had happened in those moments when he blacked out in the Labyrinth.

Lucius returned to him then, staying away for the meeting but his presence noted by the shadow that fell across his face when his companion passed across the sun. Always he preferred to keep an eye on the situation from above - now that he was no longer small enough to cling to Mesec’s horn, and sitting on his back did not often provide him with accurate eye contact to glare are those he would glare at. So he soared, the four-winged zephyr, above them - keeping an especially close eye on that hawk.

“Sultana.” He addressed her quietly with a dip of his head and with no shortage of respect. His heart hammered quickly, nervous about what was coming, soft silver eyes watching her. Mesec did not ask, for he had a pretty good idea, and knew that she would say it in her own time. He felt conscious of the gap beside him, where Ampere had been moments ago before the crowd had dispersed, and wished for her presence to give him strength.

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

post-meeting, with @Megaera!
serious thread so obviously needed a not-serious title! <3
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
What was it that she had meant to say? In the shade of the Labyrinth, the shock of learning they had harbored the Moon’s get in the the land of the Sun had raked at Megaera’s pride. She had been ready to declare him a traitor and a snake, to toss him from their ranks and their home before the stallion could spread the malicious discord that his dam rained whenever she appeared. He had proved it, hadn’t he? The Sunspear hod not missed his transformation during the battle and even Gwaihir had told him how he had almost savaged the little white filly. This stallion, this Mesec was a beast a monster and Megaera had wanted him kept well away from her family, had wanted him gone.

It was her family that stayed her, by no words or action, just their quiet acceptance of the black hybrid as he approached. Gaucho had made no move against him, nor had Ampere, and both had been there, both had seen, and perhaps both knew more than she did. Meg trusted those two as much as anyone didn’t she? Perhaps neither were dear to her the way Cera was but they lived and breathed for the Throat just as she did. Even her own recent words at the meeting had worked to quiet her suspicion, as if saying them aloud had cemented her believe in the things she said. Perhaps in playing the wise Sultana, she had begun to find wisdom in truth. It was the Sun’s Truth, however that Meg was a stubborn one to convince of anything she’d been set against and she had to be sure of this stallion before she would allow him to remain here.

The gathered faces around them retreated back into the desert sands and finally the Sunspear turned her eyes on the demigod. He addressed her simply, with none of the arrogance or defiance that Cathun had showed and the show of respect marked a point in his favor. She set black eyes on him and waited for several moments, carefully considering how to approach the questions she wanted to ask. Behind her Gwaihir have a quiet click of his beak before setting into motion. So often her calming conscience, the eagle lifted off of his perch and took to the sky as if to say ‘You’ve got to handle this one on your own.’ In a flurry brown feathers her made to investigate the four-winged zephyr that circled above, lazy loops in they sky signaling only curiosity on his part and no aggression towards the other bird.

Finally Megaera spoke, her manner strangely stiff for the normally fluid form. “Mesec…” She tested the name on her tongue. They’d met once briefly in the wake of his mother’s murder spree, but even that memory was clouded by her questions now. “I assume Gaucho is the one that gave you leave to join us; was he aware of your blood when you came here? What would make the blood of the Moon seek to find in the realm of the Sun?”
Megaera the Sunspear
image credits
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Fight the darkness,
It is simply your past.

The questions do not come out in a drove of anger as he expected - for that he was thankful. It might have been easy to do so, certainly, but she proved that she was worthy of her title, of his respect, by not flinging accusations his way. Having endured the hot fury of one of the warrioresses from the Throat, it was not an experience that Mesec hoped to invoke twice in his life. Not that the Sultana was being particularly friendly, of course. Megaera’s manner was stiff and as a result, Mesec did not relax. He knew he was going to be completely honest with her, whatever she asked. There was no point in concealing anything now - the large secret he had kept when he had first joined up was in the open now.

Perhaps her speech about family was still fresh in her mind and it was causing her to ask rather than demand, the questions that she asked were logical. He took a moment to gather his thoughts to respond to her because he wanted to know if he could explain to her just how much he wanted to be a part of the family that Gaucho had started here in the Throat, that she was now a protector of. With every season that passed he had more ties here - his brother, foalhood faces, a fellow demi-god, and friends.

He was nervous right down to the core that one wrong answer would result in him being expelled from this family - though he recognized that in some way, that might be best. He had no idea what triggered the transition into a giant wolf in the Labyrinth and until he discovered how to control it, he was a threat. “Yes, Gaucho gave me leave to join. I sought him out upon joining to alert him of my lineage. He told me that her actions were not my fault, I could not choose who my mother is.” Mesec had been told that more than once but it never relieved the burden of guilt from him. He had tried to break the habit, at least, of apologizing. He did love her, that violent mother of his, which made everything so much harder.  

Overhead, Lucius tried to escape the torturous thoughts of his bonded by focusing on the (to him) lesser creature that also took to the sky in circles. A friendly call was given out, signalling that no aggression would come from him either, as he continued to climb in the search of drafts of hot air.

“It is because I have the blood of the moon that I came here. Where better to try and escape the shadow of her murders and her deeds than in the light of the sun? I desired a family and I have friends here and I hoped that perhaps this could be somewhere I’d be welcomed… or at least tolerated. And I thought…” He wasn’t sure if he had mentioned this to Ampere or to Gaucho the day he had joined, the exact thoughts had not been complete then, but there was a compulsion to explain it all to Megaera so that she might understand what had drove him here. “I thought that if I could come here, dedicate myself to the herd so thoroughly affected by my mother, I could begin to make amends for her actions. I had friends here, yes, that helped make my decision to want this as a home but in the end it was because Gaucho was her puppet that brought me here. I know what little services I could provide would be little in repayment but I hoped…” Did that even make any sense?

It took courage to ask a question of his own, fearful as he was about the response as he watched for the Sultana's reaction with sad silver eyes. “Are you uncomfortable with me in this herd, knowing what you do?” She knew about his mother, had she also seen the monster he had turned into? He did not remember the events that had taken place then and so did not remember Gwaihir's attack.

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

@Megaera

Gwaihir answered the zephyr’s friendly greeting and dipped into a lazy swoop below the bird. To the eagle, the hierarchy of winged creatures was quite literal; to expose his back in flight to the younger bird a mark of respect for it’s royal status. After soaring below for a moment, he swooped up again and climbed higher. Haughty and proud as he usually was, the zephyr had captured his deeply ingrained curiosity, with it’s extra set of wings and iridescent feathers (even Gwaihir’s glossy golden head looked drab in comparison) and for the first time, the companion was quicker to accept the new and the unknown than the pegasus below.

She had expected defiance, something akin to Cathun’s childish reaction weeks before, but got none of it. Her eyes had been painted with prejudice and the Sunpear had expected, even hoped, to see the haughty, vain, little viper that she expected would be the spawn of the wicked goddess, but there was no trace of that creature in Mesec that Megaera could see. He had addressed her with all respect that her station deserved (even if she at the moment did not) and not with sarcasm or anger. She had help back much of what she had wanted to hurl at him and was thankful that her restraint had not failed her. He didn’t shrink away, didn’t yell or sneer or babble excuses. If the stallion was tense, it seemed it was only fear of the sword she herself had hung over his head.

“He told me that her actions were not my fault, I could not choose who my mother is.”

Gaucho had said that……of course he had. Meg had no trouble imagining the scene for she had experienced it first hand. How could she have forgotten? How could she have been so unjust? If Mesec had stopped speaking at that her mind would have been made up, but each word that he spoke after only served to affirm that their situations were more similar than she had realized.

No one chose who their parents were, Meg least of all. What did she know of her mother? A vain and selfish mare. Her father? A tyrant and a murderer. And perhaps she had been lucky to never know the pain of loving them, for she had only ever hated them… Hated both and killed one before coming to the Throat and discovering what it was to love and serve a family that one chose instead of the one that birth ordained. She had felt filthy, unworthy, when she had confessed as much to the Wildfire but his acceptance had washed her clean and she had sworn to be better than her blood. If Mesec was or had ever been tainted than so had she.

Mesec’s crimes agains Dragon’s Throat were no greater than her own had even been, just better publicized.

Her eyes closed when he spoke of service. It hurt her to look him in the eye at than moment for it was like she was looking at herself two years past and being about to cast that wild girl out before she could have truly found her family. The faces of Gaucho and Cera, Hector and Tandavi swam across her closed lids, then Mordecai and Einarr and Meg pulled her head close to her chest as if to clutch them to her.

How? How could she withhold what she had been given so freely? A chance? A chance to learn and to love in this desert paradise. A chance to give her own sweat and blood to serve those who she knew would do the same for her. A chance to live.

Mesec’s last question hug in the air for long moments until she finally gathered up the courage to look back at those strange silvery eyes. She sighed deeply and spoke. “No…” She said it softly, and her body, too had relinquished its stiff, prickly stance. She had her share of pride, but she knew, when she was in the wrong, and as always the remorse made her sick. The only hope she ever found for it was laying it bare, admitting her shortcomings and then she felt free to move on, and to do better next time. “No, your presence does not make me uncomfortable, but my actions do.”

“No one can change or choose their blood, and I am guilty of forgetting that. If I were to say yours was as black as your coat, then mine would be just as dark and more so by my own doing. She sent a glance in the direction Gaucho had withdrawn with a little wry smile and turned to grant the black stallion the courtesy of open honesty that he had given her. "My father was a tyrant on his own right, cruel and dangerous, and I came here with his blood on my hooves and his bone as a trophy. I was bitter, and angry, and I came here to hide from that, from him and from what I had done. I did find safety here, but more than that I found forgiveness and acceptance. I found family. Already you are more honorable than I was, for you come to atone for another's actions, and I have not shown the same grace that my much wiser mentor showed to both of us."

"My father may not have had the power your mother does but that does not make him better. I chose to be better than he was, better than I was before I came here and it was Gaucho that gave me that chance. I have forgotten what that meant, and I am sorry for it.”
Her voice shimmered with bare honesty and true remorse. She couldn’t look down of him then, not in anyway, for on these terms they were more equal than any she had known in Helovia. She hesitated, not knowing if he would accept the olive branch, but extended her right wing towards to brush the tips of her feathers upon his shoulder and rest them there. “I have spoken before thinking, accused before understanding… Will you forgive me, and allow us to start again?”
Megaera the Sunspear
image credits

@Mesec found Meg's Auto-Niceness button! -weeps from dramatic Meggy times-
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Fight the darkness,
It is simply your past.

Mesec’s nerves, his future, were balanced on the edge of a blade and it felt as though if he breathed too deeply it would shift him one way or the other. It all depended on Megaera’s reaction. Even if she wasn’t the Sultana, he would either be an outcast or a member of the Throat depending on her answer to his question. Having a home meant so much to him but he couldn’t make one out of somewhere that he caused discomfort, where he could not earn trust among his fellow herd mates. He truly expected to be chased out of here and he believed that (even in a small way) he deserved it. Perhaps they were right to doubt him, what if the blood of the moon ran thick in him and he betrayed them all later? His mother was crafty, vengeful, had he been born to be a tool through which she could act in Helovia? But he would drive himself insane worrying about that, especially when he had more tangible things to worry about in the meantime.  

He felt nervous, more nervous than he had been in a long time, and was so concentrated that he forgot to breathe - so it came out in a rush when she started her answer with that ‘no’. Surprise and relief course through him at Megaera’s change in manner, sun after the storm. She softened before his eyes, both her voice her voice and her body, and he was grieved to hear how dark her beginnings in Helovia had been - what had driven her here. He could not imagine what it must have been like for her to kill her own father, no matter how terrible he had been, and try to build a life afterwards.

A smile began to grow when she stretched out her wing and he accepted the touch on his shoulder gratefully. She was asking him to forgive her and for Mesec, there was no doubt in his mind. “Of course. I cannot fault you for wanting to protect your family. Perhaps, one day, I’ll be lucky enough to earn myself a spot in it.” Where they had been subdued and sad moments ago, the smile in his silver eyes grew to a soft and genuine smile. As of yet, he did not feel a part of the family but he could not fault anyone except himself. Always in the shadows, always on the sidelines, Mesec had not been making much of an effort. Something that he intended to change now that he was given the chance to. He had fallen off the knife blade but he wanted to prove to Megaera, to the herd, that it wasn’t a mistake to allow him to be a part of this herd.

He dipped his head then, not having lost any respect for her. In fact, he had even gained more - it showed a lot about her, he thought, how she had been willing to change her attitude - how she could admit when she thought she was wrong. Mesec might harbour his own doubts about himself but he could not deny the relief he felt at her words.  “It’s an honour to call you my Sultana.”

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

@Megaera

In years past Megaera would never have expected to find any form of acceptance or margin of forgiveness, even less she would never have imagined how vital they would become. She had meant to build herself into a soldier, a fighter who could stand against any foe and match them in power and prowess. In Dragon’s Throat she had come to know both and in the embrace of those gentle graces had found more strength in what they did for the spirit than could ever hope to be gained by the body. In receiving—and now to giving— she was beginning to truly understand that perhaps the best shield against despair was in having the trust those who already knew you at your worst.

Meg relaxed and drew her wing back to her side when Mesec spilled at her. “I cannot fault you for wanting to protect your family.” And oh, she hoped that when this day was over that 
others would feel the same. When night came she hoped sleep would come and she would not be kept awake because of so many ill judgements in the first meeting she had called as Sultana. In her drive to protect, to act, she had made too many wrong turns: Mesec, Cathun, Ampere… to many bridges had started smoking and she hoped she could put out the sparks before they burned. 

The sentiment that Mesec expressed with  his last sentence warmed her just as it made her lips pull back into wry smile. “I hope you’re not the only one who feels that way. After today I’m not sure…” She sighed, comforted by the bubble of cleared air they had created between them. “I work to be worthy of it, but I can’t seem to stop making a mess of things. A warrior’s instinct doesn’t always seem right way to go nowadays.”

There was more she wanted to address, but she paused a moment. After the little leap in progress their short acquaintance had made, Meg was not eager to accuse or embarrass Mesec, but she still had a concern over some of the events in the Labyrinth. “Their is more I would like to know…” She started, her voice calm but careful. “During the battle, and I admit I didn’t see all but you… you changed. And it’s not the form of it, but you uh…you didn’t seem to be youNot that she had known hime before, but unless he was standing before her now and lying through her teeth, she couldn’t see this stallion going after the little white fill. She had seen it through Gwaihir’s eyes. when the eagle had turned to clear at the black beast, the black beast that was now the stallion standing in front of her. "What happened?”
Megaera the Sunspear
image credits
@Mesec
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Fight the darkness,
It is simply your past.

“I wouldn’t be so hard on yourself.” Yes, those were probably the most hypocritical seven words that Mesec had ever spoken but he still meant them, smiling warmly at Megaera. “The fact that you’re trying means everything. And I promise I’m not the only one that thinks that way.” She was still new at being a Sultana and if she had been solely a warrior prior to the station it was certainly a change in the mentality required to solve problems. Well, the herd could try to solve their problems in the warrior fashion but it might not be the most productive method.

In the pause that followed he did not know what to expect - but his smile faltered when she spoke again. He had almost avoided the subject - embarrassed over his own cowardice in not bringing it up but Megaera did not seem interested in letting the topic slip by. Mesec's silver eyes grew sad and drifted down to his hooves as she brought it up, a rush of self-loathing taking over as he thought about the stories he had already heard about what happened. It bothered him that none of the information was his own - he was relying on the memories of others to tell him what he had done. “I honestly don’t know.” A quiet sigh before looking up to meet her gaze once more. “That’s the first time that happened, I didn’t even know I could - ” His voice broke and he faltered in his response. He still did not understand what happened. He had known that Ampere and Najya had been close by because of their accounts but didn't know Megaera had been there as well. Who else had seen? “Did I hurt you? The last thing I remembered was Ranjiri yelling and then I just thought I passed out… waking up some time later when the battle was over. Najya told me I turned into a wolf, or at least something like a wolf. She said I wouldn’t let anyone near me and then turned on the other wolves.” A shudder ran down his body, dark wings resting at his side trembling as he remembered how he had opened his eyes to worried faces - how moments later his sister had died. And still he could not say for sure that Aviya’s death wasn't his fault though he carried the burden of the guilt as though it had been.

Aviya was dead and his father was gone and Mesec was left with nothing but a blank spot in his memory and the look on Megaera’s face - the same look that both Najya and Ampere had worn - when they talked about what he did. “I wasn’t aware of anything that was happening, wasn’t in control.” And then his voice softened, unable to stem the confessions he was offering to her. It was all laid bare now, he gave up all he knew. “It frightens me, not knowing how it happened. It might have been a one-time thing, perhaps my mother triggered it. She’s… well, she can do things like that.” Few in the Throat needed to be reminded of what his mother was capable of.

“I promise you, Megaera - if it wasn't just a one-time fluke, if it happens again, I’ll leave the Throat. I won't take the risk that I will harm anyone here.” He spoke with such sincere earnestness, begging her to believe him. He wanted so much to be a part of this herd but he’d leave in a heartbeat if there was a risk he would harm any of them. If this was some dark magic waiting to hatch within him again, it took Mesec far beyond the normal risks that simply came from existing.

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

@Megaera

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
Unarchived per request
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

[quote='Megaera' pid='162371' dateline='1449288756']
She saw Mesec’s smile falter, watched his eyes fall to stare at his own hooves. It was regrettable after the calm moment that they had shared, almost enough to make Meg wish she’d left the subject alone, but it had to be done. If she was meant to lead and protect the herd she had been given charge of, it was she who had to act in the interest of them all. Was this what the sun God had meant, all those months ago? To protect and to guard without jumping straight to violence, that’s what he had said she must do, and she had been struggling with what that meant. Perhaps this was it: learning, understanding what faced her instead to lashing out against it at the slightest hint of a threat. If Mesec was a potential danger then the Sultana was duty bound to protect the Dragon’s Throat, but that meant protecting Mesec as well.

Concern was etched in her eyes when Mesec looked up again to meet her gaze but the what followed set her on edge more than anything she had heard yet. The story he gave was told through the eyes of others, just as she had seen the events unfold through Gwaihir, but his side was worrisome. No memory of the fight, no control over his actions, it reminded Meg all too fiercely of Gaucho’s murderous spree under the influence of the Goddess. That alone would have been enough in Megaera’s mind to explain the fear and regret she heard in his voice, saw in his face, but she could not have know what else Mesec had lost that day. It had been bad enough to have lost the control of her body for that one horrible minute when she had battled the Dauntless(frightening, infuriating, unforgivable) and she could only imagine what a toll it must have been for Gaucho, and now possibly Mesec, to not be in control of their own mind.

“No, you did not hurt me; you hurt no one but the demons that day. I was on the other side of the battle and did not see, but Gwaihir was close to you, and he told me what happened.” She was quick to try and give reassurance where she could. Of anyone, she knew just how much comfort could be found in a friendly word. It was an easy decision, of course not to mention that Gwahir had attacked Mesec when the eagle had though he meant to harm a young girl who had been caught up in the action. The beast had done no harm to the girl, and if Mesec did not remember what good was it to remind him. “If it was your mother’s doing, then you must know you are not responsible. Have we not just agreed on that much?.” She smiled then, though the concern she felt for him made it a strained and sad one. What else could she say to this, what answers could she give when she had none for herself? The Sunspear searched her heart, to find the words but the shadowed stallion spoke again before she could manage.

“I promise you, Megaera - if it wasn't just a one-time fluke, if it happens again, I’ll leave the Throat. I won't take the risk that I will harm anyone here.” There no lie in his voice, no hesitation and that cut her to the quick. He had come to seek belonging, to seek amends (how well she knew that desire) but he would give it all up, cast himself out, rather than risk harming one of them. Could she ever do that? Could she ever leave her family and her home if it meant keeping them safe? She would fight for them of course, die for them in a heartbeat, but could she ever have the strength to leave them behind?

The mare shook her head in a firm denial of his promise. Protect the herd, that was her duty, and her was on of them. “I would not ask that of you.” She worked to catch his eye and her stare was steady, fierce and wholly steadfast. “Your fears are understood Mesec, and they are shared, but I fear for you as well. You are part of this family and I could not leave you to face such a thing alone. You were born a child of the Moon, that is true, but as long as you are here you are a child of the Sun as well, just as I am and we would not leave you in darkness.” Her voice was unshaken, resolute. What she spoke now was more that reassurances, it was truth, it was a promise. “If it happens again, I would ask that you come find me. Please Mesec, promise me that.”
Megaera the Sunspear
image credits
@Mesec

Fight the darkness,
It is simply your past.

The same relief that he had felt when Najya and Ampere had told him that he hadn’t hurt them crashed into him like a wave. He trusted her, as he had trusted them, to tell him the truth about what had happened. Although it did not completely get rid of his guilt, it did help and he appreciated that more than he could say. He didn’t want to argue further with her but the uncertainty echoed inside of his head. He hadn’t hurt anyone this time, but what if it happened again and he did?

And If it was his mother’s doing. He simultaneously hoped it was and that it wasn’t, wanting to believe his mother wouldn’t use him in such a way. The rest of Helovia, maybe, but not him. He smiled back at her as she reaffirmed their agreement that his mother's actions were not his fault. He didn't know why he had such a hard time shrugging off all of the guilt that was not his. “My mother’s tricks perhaps but it was still my body, however changed, so I think I'll always carry some guilt. However silly that might sound.” Mesec didn't know whether Gaucho had felt the same, whether he carried the guilt of the actions that had been of his body but not his mind. Perhaps it had been easier for the Sultan to shrug off the deeds because it had been the Moon’s doing but he didn’t think that likely. From what he had seen, Gaucho was neither ruthless or uncaring. Surely there had been some weight on his shoulders when he had found out.

Her rejection of his promise surprised Mesec - his resolve disappearing with the shock. He had been convinced that his solution had been the only one, the best one, short of removing himself from the herd right now. But with a few sentences Megaera opened up another option to him. Never so much before this moment did Mesec actually feel like a part of the family here in the Throat. With Megaera’s words his silver eyes found hers and he was pinned by her fierce stare. But it was fierce on his behalf and a small smile warmed his eyes when he looked back at her - feeling as though the light of the sun could pierce the darkness in his heart after all. “Thank you, Megaera. Of course - I promise I will.”

He hoped it would never come to it but if it ever did, he felt better knowing that she would be there to help him. She had already had his respect, his loyalty, but now he felt overwhelmed with gratitude towards his Sultana.

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

@Megaera