the Rift

[PRIVATE] Never Say Never [Kaj]

Aeolus Posts: 100
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.3hh :: 3 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
nickel

Liftoff had been a success now all that was needed was the controller to figure out what the hell came next. Sure he had only managed to get off the ground a couple of meters but it was much better than the last few attempts that found him covered in snow. Snorting with frustration the colt dwelled on his latest crash landing while sitting in the middle of the clearing where he had landed. Snow covered majority of his coat from the repeated failures but that was the last thing on his mind right now. What kept going wrong! One minute he was in the air and the next somehow he was in the snowbank covered head to hoof in powder. There had to be something that he was missing out of this whole flying thing for he was grounded nine times outta ten. Getting up there was no problem but going anywhere was where the problem seemed to be. He had tried many different things to no avail and was beginning to think that he would never figure it out. 

Huffing as he pulled himself to his feet for the hundredth time that morning he shook the snow from his coat before starting to walk. Why was flying so hard? It just wasn't fair! Everyone else with wings could fly well all besides himself. Maybe there was something wrong with him, something that would never allow him to fly. Flicking his ears back to touch his skull he clenched his wings tightly to his body absolutely hating them and hating himself even more. Why had father left? Why wasn't he there for him? He could have taught him to fly but he had abandoned them long before him and his brother had been born. Why hadn't mother stopped him? It just isn't fair! Shaking his head the colt stormed forward until his anger began to slowly dissipate. It wasn't fair to be angry with mother, he knew this but it was just hard because she couldn't help him learn certain things.  Hanging his head in defeat he finally drew to a stop at the cliff's edge staring down with little interest of whatever lay below. 

Aeolus Speaks

•• TAGS: Kaj •• NOTES: Hope you don't mind :) ••

“The more you try to crush your true nature, the more it will control you. Be what you are.”
Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: aeolus_pixel__commission__by_destrierdes...9g5emp.png][Image: aeolus_by_bronzehalo_d9gff3z_by_moonston...9ggy0l.png]
Avatar 1 by Destrier Designs, Avatar 2 by BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
Kaj
the Stormbringer

Kaj had by no means anticipated the life he had ended up with. A simplistic creature through and through, he'd expected to keep his pace and place in the ranks of the soldiers, starting a family with a loving mate of any gender, settling down in a permanent herd. What he'd been offered instead? Well, an entire chronicle of drama and apocalyptic changes in his life. He had been captain of his forces, had been promoted to lead a herd, and led it well through darkness. He'd challenged and been challenged, succeeding where it mattered. Led an invasion, reclaimed a new home, and was held aloft as continued Czar. 

Love, matehood, foals...they had all evaded him. Yet he was never without surprise in his life. Though they were no blood of his, Kaj had ended up shuffling foals beneath his wings, becoming a proverbial mother hen with chicks warm and fluffy in his fold. He loved them. Ilios, Areli, Rue, Tempe? They brightened his life, kept him going when loneliness threatened to pull him beneath her icy waves and drown him. He'd taught Ilios to fly once upon a time, and anticipated doing the same for young Areli, if Parelia would allow him the honor. 

It seemed fate had yet another story played out for him, a parallel to that time. 

Aerial patrols were far easier in the Falls, the disconnected landmass already difficult to maneuver on hoof at times. Though frigid weather greeted him in relentless force every morning he rose to take his place among the ranks, the golden stallion was not dissuaded. A flash of tumultuous feathers caught azure gems, and before Kaj could even align his sleep-hazy thoughts, he was dipping his wing to circle around and find the source of the commotion. Circling low over the scraggly branches that reached for him like bent, sinister fingers from below. Intent on drawing him down into their clutches and weaving around him, perhaps where he could find a modicum of appropriate sleep for once. 

Frustrated form sprang from the snow, nubile with youth and vigor (ah, how it is wasted on the young, he mused with some amusement) as it struck across the frosted grounds. A cathartic explosion of irritation striking the dead air, a whip of announcement. The age alone was enough to draw Kaj down, but he knew that lone figure, though the colt he recalled was a mere shadow in the shell of the grown youth. Aeolus, finally lurched into his awakening mind, Brisa's subdued face winking in his vision for a moment. 

Spiraling down through the scragly treetops, he called out to the flighted youngster on a warm nicker of warning. Lightly feathered legs struck against snow and ice, firm and solid against the ground as massive appendages folded with grace against his pale sides. "Aeolus? My, you've grown so much since I last saw you," he laughed softly, kindness imbued in each syllable. "You were very young, though. I'm Kaj, Czar and friend of your mother's," he clarified in case youth had stolen away any recollection of Kaj that the young stallion might have had. It had mostly been in passing, but he'd spied the little one at Brisa's side during herd meetings more than once, and had been in close vicinity enough to at least speak a hello whenever he visited the beautiful maiden back in the Edge. But he'd never formally met the young pegasus.

"What's wrong?" he asked quietly, pale blue eyes concerned and crinkled kindly at the edges as he moved closer, the ringing cry still nagging at his consciousness. 

OOC here
IMAGE CREDIT

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

nickel

Still frustrated from his excessive failures the brindled colt stood trying to get his feelings into check once more. This was the life he had been given but somehow he would make things work eventually. Letting his wings hang down to the ground he turned his head to bite at a particularly itchy patch on his barrel. From the time he was young until now his coat had changed from a dark grey to a lighter rosy coloured grey or that is how mother had described it. It certainly was lighter than it had been but still held onto the strange white lines that covered his pelt. What was the word mother had used? Bandling? No that wasn't it...Brindling. Yes that's what it was he thought happy that he could remember the correct name. So far he had yet to meet anyone who displayed a similar pattern maybe that made him defective somehow?

The thought was interrupted by the arrival of another pegasus who called out to him kindly. Something about the grown stallion seemed familiar but it took a moment before he could remember from where. This was the man that talked to mother sometimes he recalled turning to face him wondering why he would want to talk. Listening quietly to the stallion as he spoke he couldn't help but smile kindly. Kaj...so that was his name he mused silently putting the name away for later scrutiny. "Mother talks about you often." He stated with a small smile recalling how it seemed to make her happy when Kaj was around.  If only mother could be happier more often that would be good for her so she did not have to try and pretend those times when she was sad. Maybe if Kaj came around more often... he mused silently letting the thought slowly fade away. 

Usually when meeting someone he would introduce himself but since Kaj already knew his name it was rather pointless. Mother had always done most of the talking when they were around others older than he was so it felt weird to speak up on his own not knowing what he should and should not say. Remembering what he had been taught about manners he slowly tucked his wings back to his sides. Whats wrong? A little taken back by the question he turned his eyes up to meet Kaj's hesitantly. Surely the king did not want to hear about his problems... but why then would he ask? Why did he think something was wrong? Did he overhear something that he had said? 

A few moments of silence passed before he managed to find his words again. " It's... complicated." Pausing for a couple seconds he tried to figure out what else to say to better explain himself. " I think that I am defective.. I can't fly like all the others and mother made it this way by letting father and Levex leave. She should have stopped them..." Realizing he was rambling he cut himself off before he said anything else. Turning his head away shamefully he retreated a few steps backwards dropping his eyes to the ground not realizing the moisture that had begun to cloud his vision. Fighting the surge of emotions back he barely managed to hold back the tears.

Aeolus Speaks
Aeolus Thinks

•• TAGS: @Kaj  •• NOTES: ••

“The more you try to crush your true nature, the more it will control you. Be what you are.”

@Kaj
[Image: aeolus_pixel__commission__by_destrierdes...9g5emp.png][Image: aeolus_by_bronzehalo_d9gff3z_by_moonston...9ggy0l.png]

Kaj
the Stormbringer

Though a belated reunion always had the potential to imbue itself with awkward feelings, Kaj had never been afflicted by such troubles, and as such exuded warmth and curiosity as he approached the winged youth. There was much Kaj had done in the past to disappoint and hurt, and he'd let down more than his fair share of kin. Though Brisa had taken her faults upon herself for Note's disappearance, Kaj felt as though he'd failed her himself in some way. Perhaps he summoned too great a burden for his shoulders, assumed responsibilities never given to him in the first place. Whatever reason it was, he stood before Aeolus feeling inadequate and regretful, repentant for mistakes and wrongdoings he could not have realistically prevented. 

Whatever time and distance between them that had existed seemed to melt with every syllable that dropped off the golden boy's lips. Subtle tension eased away from Kaj's frame, lending him a smile at the idea that Brisa spoke of him often. He held the mare in high respects, was rather endeared by her - perhaps he had a type, he chuckled internally. Resplendence had been the first of his little family of shy souls, and Brisa had followed right along, Kaj taking her beneath wing with ease and optimism. They were simply so easy to love, and Kaj wondered if Aeolus had been passed any personality traits from the snowy maiden he hailed from. 

"I hope they are all good things," the beast chuckled, chest rumbling with the pleasant sound in the quiet, colorless landscape. Though, if Brisa had anything to say of his concern for others, it had not rubbed off on her son. His surprise was apparent, eyes rising swiftly to Kaj's patient blues at the inquiry as to the cause of his suffering. The Czar awaited a response with ease that should have belonged to a father, should have belonged to Aeolus' father. It seemed neither of them were granted that title nor potential, and Kaj realized that they were a sad little pair. A childless father and a fatherless child. 

Heart pulsed with sorrow at the harsh words Aeolus directed at himself. Defective. Far too complex an adjective for someone so young and bright, and it pained Kaj to see that surely the yearling meant it. His response was thusly similar to his thought patterns in its immediacy. "You are not defective," he assured firmly, needing that to be known before anything else was ventured upon. But Kaj had righted the crooked paths of many, and the bitter tone and misplaced anger was something that had to be corrected as well. Especially when Kaj knew exactly how much Brisa agonized needlessly over Note's disappearance. She did not need further pain from her son, when neither of them were at fault.

"Listen to me, Aeolus. Your mother did not make you this way, and what you are experiencing is entirely normal for a young pegasus, I promise." Paternal smile was warm despite the unease in his stomach, flight feathers extending to bring attention to his wings for a moment, emphasizing the fact that as a grown pegasus he would be one to know the accuracy of that statement. Expression melted into a softly disapproving frown as he continued. "Your mother did not let them leave, young one. Your father disappeared without a trace, both from her and our ranks. Do you have the power to track an invisible horse?" He inquired with an arched brow, clearly asking whether Brisa had that power as well for all the good it did the pair of them.

A heaving sigh escaped the confines of his lungs, chest expanding and sinking with his regret. "I can't tell you how sorry I am, how upset that your father and brother left you. But your mother agonizes over it, and she too blames herself. But she was not at fault, and neither were you." Could never be too careful, in case Aeolus had some sort of deep rooted fears and problems of his own. Even if it took years, Kaj would dedicate each season to lifting these burdens from the broken family.

Nearest wing lifted from his side to reach for Aeolus' primaries, drawing attention back to what he could immediately fix. "When sparrows are born, they are flightless and featherless. They rely on their parents until they grow old enough and strong enough in both body and mind to leave the nest." Oh, how that time always came far too soon. "It is the job of the chick's parents to teach them how to fly. Your mother has no wings, she cannot understand the urge you feel for the skies, nor can she teach you how to claim it as your own." It should have been the job of your father went unsaid. "If you are willing, I can teach you. You are far from defective my child, you merely need the proper guidance." Warm smile broke the canopy of his features, glowing down upon the yearling like the sun that winter had stolen from him. It seemed Kaj had become the unofficial tutor of lost pegasus colts. He did not lament the title.

@Aeolus
IMAGE CREDIT

@Aeolus

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

nickel

Taking a couple moments to regain some type internal composure so he did not come across as a baby he tried to gather his scattered thoughts. Standing with his tail tucked and ears tipped back and to the side the colt was acutely aware of Kaj watching him and probably thinking he was a good for nothing brat or something. Seeing the movement of feathers from the corner of his eye he drew his gaze slowly back to the stallion. You are not defective. Hearing the statement gave him a glimmer of hope that perhaps it was actually true. Why could he not fly then? He had heard grown ups using that word for things that did not work so why did it not apply to him? If anyone else ever found out that he could not fly they usually laughed at him or made jokes about it. Spice was close to his age and she could fly so shouldn't that mean that he should be flying too? All the questions were making his brain hurt or maybe that was the fall he really couldn't be sure. "If it's normal why is it that everyone else my age can already fly?" he asked softly not really making too much sense out of the whole sparrow analogy. He never lived in a nest... or ate worms for that matter.

"I know it's not mother's fault... it's just been so hard." Sighing softly the colt regretted letting his anger get the best of him for he really didn't mean the things he said. "Sometimes at night I wake up to hear her crying but she never will tell me why she is sad." He admitted with some reluctance as he wasn't sure it was alright to talk about. Much of the time when he awoke he pretended to still be asleep so that she would not have to move away from him to try and make everything seem like it was alright. Sometimes he wondered if there was anything that would help to make her happy again. Before Levex left them she had always seemed happy enough but since he had been gone it seemed to change from one day to the next. "You seem to make mother happy. Everything she says about you are always good things." With a slight nod as if to confirm his sentence he began to wonder if mother would be happy if he found another brother or sister to stay with them. Where could he find that? Everyone already had two parents that he knew of how was he going to find someone without a mother? "How can I find another brother or sister? It would help make mother happy again?" This might be harder than he originally thought.

Perplexed over his latest idea Kaj's last words didn't register until a couple seconds later. Wait..a second.. did he just offer to help him fix his defectiveness? Lifting his own wing out to study what Kaj was referring to he looked back to Kaj a smile forming upon his lips. "You will help me? You can help me become undefected?" He questioned trying not to get excited before he knew for sure. He wasn't sure that undefected was a word or not but it sounded about right to him so therefore it was going to be a word because he said so. "I will do anything you say!" He added for good measures in case there was a deciding factor in all of this.

•• TAGS: Kaj •• NOTES: Had much fun writing this XD ••

“The more you try to crush your true nature, the more it will control you. Be what you are. No one who really loves you will stop.”

@Kaj

Kaj
the Stormbringer

The child does not know much, but that is why he is a child. Kaj laments the circumstances that kept him from Aeolus, the seasons that went by where he could not help the colt to learn and grow. A new, bitter note of hatred for Note festers in his heart. What man would ever give up a family this beautiful? What kind of lowly being could gaze upon their love and their shy smiles and decide to leave instead of staying to cherish them every moment he had? Kaj's heart aches with want, directionless - or so he says to himself. There is nothing he can do about the past, about the absence of Aeolus' father. What he can do in that moment...those possibilities are far more endless, and so as the gilded boy speaks, Kaj smiles kindly and realizes that lengthy metaphors are unbefitting one his age. He will remedy that.

"Because they have mothers and fathers to teach them how, young one. Your mother has no wings, she does not understand, and so you have not had the proper introduction to flight." He dares not mention Note, afraid that it will set some sort of emotional response off in Aeolus. Kaj did not want him to linger on such dark thoughts, not on a day where he could finally teach the youth the wonders and gifts of his species. No, today was a day for excitement and tutelage.

Except...Aeolus' face falls, and Kaj does in turn, moving forward and gently dipping his muzzle towards the boy's in a motion of solidarity and familial comfort. "It is not the job of the child to bear the grief of the parent," he murmured, eyes sad as they gazed down at this poor colt, lost and fatherless and suffering from it. "Your mother knows that, as almost all parents do. She doesn't want to worry you, I presume. It is a brave, terrible thing, to keep something locked inside so as not to burden others." Would Brisa disapprove of his assumptions? Would she even approve of him teaching Aeolus how to fly, or would she find it as some sort of failure on her part once more? He wished she'd stop antagonizing herself, but his words never seemed to make much of a difference.

Though the idea that he made Brisa happy...it did not correlate with that train of thought. Did he? "I am glad that your mother finds joy in my company. Perhaps I can help the both of you, in what little ways I can." Pondering on that matter, Kaj vowed to himself that he would search out Brisa, and soon. They had much to speak about, it seemed. For now, at least, Kaj had Aeolus to focus on. And the errant, naive things that popped almost sordidly from his mouth. Were Kaj capable of blushing visually, his face would be quite reminiscent of the evening sun. Even still, his ears were hot with the idea that exploded rather inappropriately inside his head. Such assumptions should not formulate inside his thoughts!

"Foals..." Kaj coughed uncomfortably, wondering if this was his place to say. Gods, how could he be placed in the shoes of the father without foals of his own to draw experience from? "Aeolus, foals are born out of love. You cannot simply find a sibling for your mother, they must be born from her. If she finds a stallion that she loves and who loves her in return, then perhaps you may have another sibling in time. But you cannot rush such things, I'm afraid," he consoled, aware that Aeolus was hopeful - clearly - for the event to come to pass.

Luckily, the colt's thoughts were as shifty as the summer winds, and Kaj breathed a sigh of relief to move away from the matter. Gods, please don't make me explain the birds and the bees. "Well then what are we waiting for?" he asked gleefully, eyes twinkling with mirth. "Let's get you flying!" Head cocked to the side, asking Aeolus to follow him and setting off at a steady jog, wings held loose and comfortable at his sides.

"Until you build up muscle in your shoulders, you will need elevation to get off the ground at first. So, we need a hill." Muzzle pointed towards one in the distance, near one of their waterfalls. It would be suitable for their purposes, and Kaj thanked the fact that the snow was thick to land in but the winds still and relatively calm for a first flight. Truly perfect conditions for a fledgling. Kaj led Aeolus purposefully up the incline, to the summit where he gazed down towards the unmarked snow on the other side. Perfect.

"Now, there are three important things you need to know for the base of your flight knowledge. Lift, thrust, and glide." Massive wings draped in pale sunlight rose from his sides, spreading and shaking out in preparation for the demonstrations. "Lift is when you leave the earth, and is best achieved at a run with a nice jump at the end. It is followed immediately by the second, thrust, which is when you push your wings down hard after they fill with air. That is what pushes you into the sky." The Aurelight turned, shaking out his shoulders a little before charging through the snow, wings snaking out horizontally to fill with the current of air around them, and once satisfied he kicked off the ground with the coiled burst of his hindquarters and simultaneously pumped his wings until the tips grazed each other beneath his hooves. Banking early he returned promptly to the earth, trotting back towards Aeolus with a smile.

"You will be doing that maneuver off this hill. And then we reach the third part, glide. This is when your wings are still and horizontal, keeping you aloft without moving any higher or lower, letting the winds carry you." His appendages rose to demonstrate, perfectly even at his sides. With a warm, almost excited smile, Kaj could not help but remember Ilios' first attempts. And his own, of course, childish and embarrassing though they had been at the time. Nobody like to crash and burn, but it took time and diligence.

"After your initial thrust when you jump off the hill, try and glide. You're not going to get it down perfectly on the first try," Kaj made sure to point out, eyes calm and patient. "Nobody does. And you're going to be sore and bruised when you land funny, but the snow will break your fall. Now, let me show you how it looks when put together, and how I want you to do it during your practice." Turning to face the decline, he gave a few quick perfunctory strides and kicked off, thrusting his wings hard and then leveling out, gliding down and landing amid the snow. Hardly a far drop, all things considered, but there were sure to be a few tumbles.

Turning to glance back up the hill he smiled, wingtips curling with pleasure and excitement. "Come on! You can do it!"

OOC here
IMAGE CREDIT

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

nickel

Exuberantly stoked for the lessons to begin it was hard for the colt to think of much else. It had been months of trying to fly and failing and with it all not much improvement had been seen, well in his eyes that is. He had even gone as far as stalking other pegasus just to watch and see if he could pick up any pointers just from watching. No one had seen him watching, well at least he hoped no one had. Kaj's words drew him from that thought causing him to go bounding through the snow in the direction that he had indicated. It was easier now to walk through the snow as his legs were much longer than they had been only a month or two ago but the joy of it was still there. Sliding to a stop as Kaj stopped he remembered the other question that he had asked about mother and stood pondering the answer he had received. Foals...come from love..? Love was happy was it not? So maybe he was on the right track with trying to make mother happy. If happy leads to love.. then maybe he will find a brother or sister to bring home. It made sense in some warped illusion he chose to hold onto disregarding anything that made little sense. Kaj had also mentioned something about a stallion being part of this love thingamajig. Well wasn't Kaj a stallion? He sure didn't sound like a girl so surely he had to be a stallion for he was older than he was. Mother had told him that when he was older he would be a stallion so that would be right. Plus there was the part where Kaj had said he would help!

Slowly pulling each piece together one by one made him realize that if what Kaj said was true mother could make another brother or sister? How did someone make a foal? He could draw things in the mud but they never became real? " Why can't you help mother? You make her happy no.....you make her love so does that mean I can find a brother or sister?" Confusing himself in the process of talking he shook his head before looking up to Kaj hopefully. This could work right? Everything Kaj had mentioned was in the idea so it had to! If not what else could he do? He didn't want to make mother sad by not being able to help her. "You said you would help." He added as a reminder not getting the context of what Kaj had been offering to help with. If it was this simple why had he not thought about this earlier!

Satisfied with this plan he turned back to listening to as the King instructed him on flying. Well he had tried all that, well except for jumping off a high place maybe that was why he hadn't flown yet. Perplexed he stood watching every last piece that he had been instructed until those magic words were announced. On cue the brindled boy imitated Kaj in approaching the side of the hill gathering himself to make the jump. "I know how to glide! I learned that a little while ago by watching..someone." He commented forgetting who exactly he had been watching at the time. Eager to show what he had learned the colt drew his wings from his sides as he bounded up higher before reaching the edge and jumping. The familiar rush of wind blew through his mane and under his wings as he flapped them once to steady himself trying to gain some height but failing. Straightening them out mimicking what Kaj had just done (with less grace) he felt the weight linger in his shoulders as he started gliding. A grin lit up his face at the thrill but it wasn't until he tried flapping his wings down again that he ran into issues. At this point he tried to gaze back over to where Kaj was at the same time he tried to thrust himself higher. Somehow he must have turned more than his head in looking for his teacher and now found himself falling sideways off his intended path.

Fighting with gravity never proved to be a battle that he would win and this time was no different. Angled too much to the side his wings could not get the air beneath them to support his weight any longer. Plummeting down he felt himself hit the snow but when he opened his eyes the only thing he could see what white. What? He felt fine well other than he was half laying in his back with his butt in the air. Kicking his feet out no ground seemed to catch his hooves making him realize he was probably upside down in a snowbank yet again. Flailing his legs in an attempt to find which way was up he didn't seem to move much with his wings laid out underneath him and buried in snow. Great this was an awesome way to start out lessons and embarrass himself in the process. "KAJ?!? I THINK I'M STUCK!

Aeolus Speaks
Aeolus Thinks

•• TAGS: Kaj •• NOTES: ••

“The more you try to crush your true nature, the more it will control you. Be what you are. No one who really loves you will stop.”

Kaj
the Stormbringer

The innocence of youth was generally endearing for Kaj. He loved their innocence and naivety, enjoyed teaching them and showing them the realities of the world. However in that moment he cursed Aeolus' fervent determination to make things right, his lack of understanding. He'd already been tangled up in inappropriate thoughts regarding Brisa, it wasn't right of him to even be encouraged the slightest bit by the youth's pleading. So why was he? Gods spare him, had his deep hungering desire for a foal of his own spread too far? Was he even capable of loving and caring for Brisa how she deserved? Would she even have him, broken as he was? 

No, he shouldn't even be thinking about it. No matter how he felt or what Aeolus mistakenly wanted and desired. Giving it thought made it real, and he couldn't ruin another mare's life with his affections. "Of course I said I would help, Aeolus. But it is not something I can force upon your mother, she would have to want it too. And it is something for us two to discuss, so don't go around trying to sway her," he warned playfully, eyes warm to cover the turmoil in his heart. He had little doubt that Aeolus would heed his words, and only hoped that the message would not be misconstrued on young tongue, driving Brisa away from him before he could even reach a conclusion of his own. 

Luckily, like most adolescents, he was easily distracted and the prospect of flight seemed to be more captivating than the idea of a sibling. Kaj was grateful for the change in topic, allowing Aeolus to swell with pride and preparation as he claimed he already knew how to glid, can't you see dumb Kaj? Chuckling softly to himself, Kaj instead swept a wing wide in silent gesture, bidding Aeolus to show him, then. 

It went about as well as Kaj had anticipated, and though his paternal heart stuttered in his chest to see Aeolus go careening off course and into the snow, he also knew that it was the best padding for such an event. Crashes were inevitable, and he wouldn't be harmed, but it was hard not to rush to his aid like a new parent fearing every disaster for their newborn. He'd felt the same way with Ilios. 

Aeolus' voice was in his ears, a little panicked, and Kaj was already in motion before the words themselves registered. "Don't worry, I'm here," he called back, and his chest felt tight and strangled for a moment. He's not your son, you old fool. Stop torturing yourself. Strong legs pushed and dug into the snow, dipping his head to find Aeolus' and touching muzzle to cheek to guide back to the light, get him centered a bit more before he tried fully unearthing him. Wings swept low, primaries flexing and like a giant brush began to sweep the snow off the child's frame. Far more delicate whenever it neared the fledgling's face, of course, until the grey blue sky would be visible at last. Warm smile would greet the young bird as well. "You did very well," he complimented. "Next time, try not to turn your head back to look at me, it will help you keep flying straight. But your gliding was excellent!" Lift and thrust could be achieved in time, at least the cherub had the basics and the foundations. "Would you like to try again?"

So late I'm sorry ;-;
IMAGE CREDIT

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

nickel

Still sulking just a little over Kaj stating that he had to talk to mother about it he couldn't be more confused. He wanted a brother or sister what more was there to talk about? Mother had been happier when Levex was still around so clearly she would want to have another sibling for him around. Convinced that he was right he let the thoughts drift off until after his flying was done. There was no need to convince mother he already knew she would be all for the idea. Nodding to himself he couldn't help the extra kick to his step as excitement and anticipation flowed through his veins.

Well flying had gone well...until he ended up buried under the snow that is. Struggling to free himself he thought he heard something but it was hard to tell for there was too much snow in his ears. Rustling soon became apparent but still the boy couldn't figure out which was ways up but it was getting stuffy and he wanted out. Fear bit down on the colt as his movements seemed to fail to help him, how was he going to get out? What it Kaj didn't find him? Would he die? "Kaj? Kaj!.." Before his mind had the chance to freak out too much more something warm touched his cheek making him still. "Kaj?" he mumbled trying to spit snow out of his mouth by shaking his head to no avail. More snow fell away before bright light blinded him causing his eyes to shut closed as he managed to free his head and body with Kaj's help. Somehow when he had fallen he had managed to land half upside down, but he didn't remember rolling anywhere. Hmmm Strange..

When he managed to open his eyes he stared up to his saviour looking down on him. Snorting softly to clear the cold snow from his nose he managed to pull himself upright but still remained sitting half in the snowbank. Smiling brightly at the compliment he felt like dancing with joy. "I told you I could!" Scratching his face upon his front leg he then moved to trying to fold his snow encrusted wings back to his back. With the added weight of the snow they felt as if they weighed a bazillion pounds but he was going to do it without help, he was strong mother had said so. Using his body as leverage he threw his head forward while his front legs scrambled to pull him back to his feet. It took a couple tries but finally his wings pulled free letting him rise. Stepping forward gratefully he leaned his head up against Kaj's shoulder letting the residual fear drain away as he pulled comfort from his teacher's presence. The response was so natural and automatic it took a minute or two for the colt to realize that Kaj probably didn't want him to touch him. Pulling his ears back uncertainly he pulled back as step or two feeling a little embarrassed for not remembering that he didn't have a father that loved him to go to. If mother was here he would have likely gone to her now not knowing how to feel but not feel. "I'm sor..rry" he mumbled shamefully ducking his head to his chest staring down to the white fluff.

Thoughts about death and dying scared him a lot ever since he had been thrown over the cliff by accident. He didn't want to die but now that he had tasted what that fear was like he never ever wanted to get that close to it again. Shivering either from the cold or from the fearful thoughts he shook himself attempting to hide it.

Aeolus Speaks
Aeolus Thinks

•• TAGS: @Kaj •• NOTES: <3 ••

Kaj
the Stormbringer

Though Aeolus had fallen with relatively good mood about his failure, the longer he remained trapped beneath the snow, it was clear he was beginning to panic a little. Kaj's heart responded instinctively to the plaintive cries of his name, rushing for the half-concealed child beneath the snow, words rolling off his tongue in mindless reassurance. "It's okay Aeolus, I'm here, I'll get you out, just hold still," he crooned, speaking louder than normal in case the snow was too thick for the child to hear. Though it was a harmless situation his heart was pounding nonetheless, inspired by the clinging tendrils of fear in the fledgling's voice. He could not stop to take the time to reassure himself, couldn't think beyond getting Aeolus out of the snow, comforting him...

Big eyes peeked out from the snow, and Kaj heaved a sigh of relief, smile warm enough it could have melted the snow away long before his wings could uncover the boy. "There you are," he teased softly, eyes a twinkling reminiscence to the summer skies that would soon overcome the land once more. Aeolus pulled himself from the depths of his snowy prison, half-sitting in the chilled substance that had broken his fall. Kaj laughed freely, deep and pleased, as the cheerful 'I told you so' came tumbling out as if the minor scare had never happened. His heart settled in his chest, as if there'd ever been anything to really fear. "You certainly showed me," he agreed playfully. 

Aeolus pulled himself free in a shower of snow and feathers, and Kaj moved forward, wing lifting and shoulder bracing to catch the fledgling if he needed it. Only, Aeolus was a step ahead of him, stumbling purposefully to his side, little shivers of cold and the dredges of fear vibrating against Kaj's skin. Kaj's wing shuttered down around the fledgling, warding off the chill as well as the recent failure, head turning and tucking to press muzzle instinctively between the youth's ears. They both seemed as surprised by their actions as the others, though Aeolus was the one to spring away as if Kaj's touch had burned him. The Aurelight cautiously lifted his wing to allow the escape, wondering if he'd been the one to overstep some sort of boundary. At least, until Aeolus spoke. 

Kaj's face softened and he turned, wing slipping higher in silent communication that if Aeolus desired, he could find shelter beneath it once more. "It's okay," he assured softly. "You can touch me as much as you want, Aeolus, I promise." His heart ached for it, for Aeolus to perhaps see him as something more than a mentor, a Czar. But Kaj shut down that thought quickly. No, he couldn't push that upon the child. Upon Brisa, gods. But oh how he wanted to erase the abandonment of the fledgling's father, to help raise him, to be involved in his life...

OOC here
IMAGE CREDIT

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

nickel

Somewhere in the boy's mind he had for some reason expected to be punished for overstepping what he was allowed to do. If he had a father maybe things would have been different and he wouldn't feel like he was missing half of himself. Everywhere he looked he could see other youngsters with both their parents and they looked happy, he wanted to feel like that. He loved mother with all his heart but it just wasn't the same as if he had both parents to love. Hiding in his own shame the boy was scared to look back up to what we would find on Kaj's face. If he could he would shrink himself down to the size of an ant and just hide, but obviously that wasn't possible so pretending as if no one could see him was the next best thing. In those few moments that he had taken comfort in Kaj he had felt as if things would be alright again, that there was no reason to be afraid anymore and that he was safe. He had been saved from the snow because of him, he made the darkness go away. The influx of emotions was confusing and he really had no idea what he was supposed to feel.

As a few moments of silence passed it was the soft masculine voice that had reassured him when he was afraid that managed to draw him back to the surface. It's Okay.. Hearing what he had thought it would be the actual words didn't sink in for a second or two. Hesitantly he slowly tilted his ears forward managing to sneak a look up to Kaj. What he saw there was not anger, or resentment... it was actually the exact opposite. "It's Okay." Repeating the sentence over again he actually started to believe it tearing his blue eyes away from the snow to look to Kaj almost questionly. Did he actually mean it? "I promise." If he said that surely he meant what he said right? Lifting his head slowly he looked over to see the stallions outstretched wing which brought tears to his eyes. Not wanting to be alone he stepped back to press his cheek against Kaj's warm shoulder once more as a single tear slipped from his eyes.

Minutes passed before he could manage to say anything, he wanted to thank Kaj for everything but when he spoke it wasn't what spilled from his mouth. "Kaj? Why did my dad leave us? Did he not want us anymore?" He asked softly, his voice shaking unsteadily as more tears fell from his eyes. Turning his head more into Kaj's shoulder he tried to get himself together. It had always been a burning question in his mind that he just couldn't bear to ask mother. He did not want to make her sad again, he wanted to make her happy but no matter what he tried to do it was never enough to stop her tears. They may not have fallen before him but he had felt the warmth against his back where mother rested her head at night. When that happened he only tried to curl into her embrace further not knowing what else he could do.

Aeolus Speaks
Aeolus Thinks

•• TAGS: @Kaj •• NOTES: ••