the Rift

Serpent Made of Glass

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"
-- Patrick Rothfuss

The prisoner d'Artagnan looked out across the barren land of the Throat, face set in permanent disapproval. His eyes had slowly been returned to him although he had to say, a few days was more than long enough.

As much as he had enjoyed sparing words with the General Azzuen, he began to wish he hadn't ventured here the time before. Although it did make him slightly amused that his words must have hit a spot with the tight lipped General, why else would the winged bastard's eyes shine with sweet revenge. Maybe the red had rattled his cage more than he first thought. It was, however, combined with a sickening feeling that the Edge was in danger. As their Doctor he had a duty to stand by their side, to die with them if he had to and to protect his family. The thought sent an image of a swelled Kou to him, his Nurse who had taught him the beginnings of love. She now carried his child and he doubted he'd be there for the birth. Mesec too. His awkward demi-god son was too young to be caught in the middle of conflict. All the Nightshade could do was trust in Mauja's leadership and find a way out of here fast.

A smile curved onto his grey lips and he wondered where his dear little guard was. Part of him hoped she'd appear so he could direct her to the lovely patch of grass riddled with poison, he had spent so much time preparing it after all. He remembered the Earth God's words echo in his mind, to heal in repayment of poisoning. He had already healed several members of his herd. Cineviam the last. So surely by now the Doctor would be allowed one small casualty. Not that the poison he had laid in wait would kill those who ingested it, just something to make the belly queasy and knock out the idiot that ate it. d'Artagnan was slightly annoyed he couldn't find a killing plant, he was sure the Earth had mentioned some here but the little bastards must be hiding from him. Well, if plants could hide that is.

Liquid of multiple colours tainted his glass horns, some dripped onto his fur but was of no matter as d'Artagnan knew it's antidote. The sun was lowering in the sky and his gracious moon would soon make an appearance, the time drew nearer and nearer. d'Art was not so silly to make a run for it without thinking it through first, although as the sky slowly went shades darker he wondered if Xira would ever turn up. Or was this his lucky day?

There was no way the Doctor would count on his herd mates to come save him. If he trusted his gut feelings then he already knew they would have troubles of their own; and Kou... d'Artagnan hoped his Nurse would have good senses and stay well clear of the battlefield, fights or any sort of confrontation. He wished her to stay away from the Throat and not to come looking for him, to put her in danger was not something he wanted at all.

d'Artagnan sighed and looked to the now starry sky and the moon. He felt the chill of night ruffle his fur, it wasn't icy like the Edge and it left the Doctor highly unsatisfied.
"Watch over me." a gruff whisper to the silver light.

It was time.

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
The war-beaten stallion had only just made his way back home. Injuries still bled, ached and ravaged at him. He used what little strength he had left to numb them, to steal away those senses of pain, and make them a mere, dull pressure. He did not place weight on the hind leg whose hock had swelled the size of a small watermelon. He did not hail a medic or Onni, knowing they ventured back to the Edge now to heal those in more dire need than he. Granted, he probably was in dire need. But he was also used to getting himself injured, he had ways of managing the pain and knew of simple remedies that would pause infections from growing, at least for a time.

It was after his reunion with his family in the Meadow that he then became General again, and searched the ground below for the prisoner he had so artfully won. D'Artagnan was a playing card, and Azzuen had used him appropriately, removing the doctor from the forefront of a battlefield where numbers were everything. The General landed before the blood bay unicorn with one glass horna nd one shard jutting from his head. His eyes were a deep, fathomless black now, serious; dangerous.

"You missed out on all the fun, little doctor." Deep, yet tired tones attempted a jab at the stallion. Azzuen was worn, spent. He no longer cared to hold this creature captive. Ears tilted as he lifted his head and directed his gaze towards the border. He wondered if Xira was nearby - he assumed she was, and that she was likely to hear him.
"I believe we have company on the borders. Follow me, little doctor." With effort Azzuen took to the skies again, expecting d'Artagnan to follow the trail of bloody droplets he left, or at least the shadow that skimmed across the ground before him from Azzuen's flight. The Doctor was being set free, if he didn't follow now, he would not be given another chance.

[About to post to Lena & co. too, can I assume d'Art is following? :-) ]