the Rift

[PRIVATE] we jumped, never asking why

Cathun Posts: 88
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Tai
Slå mig hårt i ansiktet så får jag känna att jag lever

The days after his return from the battle in the forest, after all the meetings and shouting and after his resignation from the warrior rank, Cathun spent his time haunting the beaches of the Throat. Like a restless spirit he ghosted back and forth, here and there, wandering with neither purpose nor goal, mulling over everything that had been said and done until the foul taste of it all had completely darkened all his thoughts. Stomping along in his own hoof prints while the salty wind ripped and tore through the burning imitation of curls, he arrived to one single conclusion no matter how he twisted and turned and mulled.

"I hate this place."

The desert island felt like a cage. A uselessly pretty red wasteland full of idiots, placed in a land littered with gods, magic and even more idiots. The only thing anyone ever thought about were these gods, this magic and the idiots they claimed to love or hate. He was an idiot too, Cathun was intelligent enough to see that he wasn't so different from hundreds of other horses, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

Overall, that was his problem. He. Didn't. Care. Not about gods, or magic, or wars, peace, strange illnesses or any of the common, mortal worries that plagued everyone and filled this empty existence called life. The only thing that moved him was the deeply rooted fear of death, a condition that afflicted all and which was creeping closer to him with every passing day.

He didn't want to die. It would mean that he would disappear, become erased from everything and everyone who meant something, it meant that he would never again be able to affect the world or do anything that mattered. Like his mother before him he would crumble into ash and get blown away by the strong southern breeze, leaving nothing behind as proof that he had been there.

No, he didn't want to die. But... he didn't really know what he ought to live for, either.

"What ever could be worth suffering humiliation and pain for?" he asked, and followed a red crab as it sidled off along the waters edge.

It clicked its claws, but did not answer. Cathun snorted, feeling even more annoyed.

Image by Yewrezz

@Ranjiri
@Ampere

» Magic and Violence is permitted at all times
» Please tag me!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

give me hope in the darkness
so that I will see the light

The fight in the Labyrinth was history, the meeting was over, and everything seemed calm for the moment. It didn't make me feel good, though. It made me nervous and anxious because it was basically the calm before the storm. The God of Time and the Moon Goddess both had come back with lands and that left the Sun God and Earth God to return. If history really did repeat itself then they would come back and there would be another fight, more diseases, more death... and I was ready for it to be over. I was ready for life to get back to the same old mundane thing day after day; wake up, patrol, return, report, eat, sleep, wake up, and start over again.

I ended up walking along the shore because usually it was the sound of the ocean waves that calmed my frazzled nerves. It was only helping a little bit this time, but it was better than nothing. Another set of fresh hoof tracks on the beach was an indicator that I wasn't the only one there and when I looked up I could see Cathun in the distance. The last time I had seen him was in the Labyrinth when he'd yelled my name, but in the chaos he'd disappeared and when it was all over I hadn't been able to find him again.

Rather than call his name I trotted toward him to try and catch up, but I slowed when I finally noticed how he carried himself, how defeated he looked. It was very different from the haughty, arrogant, prideful, obstinate, frustrating stallion that I had met in the Veins.

"What ever could be worth suffering humiliation and pain for?"

I shouldn't have answered because the question wasn't directed at me, but I did anyway. "Love." I murmured, simply enough. "And family." I had stopped a few feet behind him and stood staring. "And friends."

"."

Image Credit

@Cathun @Ampere

aud pixel!

Tai

He started at the sound of her voice. Not just because it was a voice, there, behind him when he had thought himself completely alone. Nor because he had been pulled from his miserable thoughts in an abrupt, bordering on rude way (well not really, since he had been the one not paying attention).

No, it had more to do with the fact that it was her voice. It made his heart bit faster and set a sweet kind of ache spreading through his chest as he turned to look at her. Slowly. Casually, because he had totally not just nearly jumped out of his skin like a skittish rabbit. No, he was cool, casual, suave... and it was all completely ridiculous, because it was just Ranjiri and what she said was just happy-go-lucky nonsense as usual.

"I hope you realize how cheesy that sounds" he said dryly. He stopped as well and turned, uncomfortable at the realization that she had heard his self-pitying whine and even more awkward when he found that he was glad she was the one to hear it.

"What family, what friends? If you mean anyone living on this charred pile of sand I'm just gonna go ahead and tell ya, it's impossible. You and everyone else, you talk about family like it means anything."

He cocked the head aside, the gesture as ingrained in him as the need to flick the non-existent hair out of his eyes. The look he gave her was hard and bitter, the words of those so called family members pricking him like needles.

"What kind of family lets one another think that a friend has died even though it's not true? What kind of friend expects you to sacrifice your life in pointless battles? I don't know about you, Ranjiri, but I don't feel like my life mean any more or less than yours, or anyone else's. But apparently I'm good for nothing but dog food. How am I supposed to feel anything at all for people like that?"

And again, everything he said came out as a childish whine, a good for nothing rant that breathed nothing but hurt feelings and injured pride. It wasn't even this he wanted to say to her. Welcome home, it's good to see you, thank all the fucking gods in whatever heaven that you're alive. I'm sorry for being an ass, I like you, are we still friends?

But he wouldn't be Cathun if he hadn't left out all the important stuff and focused only on himself. As always.

Image by Yewrezz

@Ranjiri
Ali said 'Blu can jump in whenever :|' so I do as I'm told and post again. lol

» Please tag me!

"I hope you realize how cheesy that sounds."

"I do." I said and I couldn't help but smile because he was right. "But being cheesy doesn't make it any less true to me." I shrugged and tried to ignore the way the muscles pulled in my shoulder and wing, the leftover reminder of the Bloodfalls and the battle there. I sighed and finally looked at Cathun. Really looked at him and I couldn't suppress the gasp when I noticed that his hair was fire. "Cathun..." my voice trailed because he was talking again and I listened and as I listened I got frustrated. I have to admit that if he's good at anything its making me frustrated.

"What family, what friends?"

That question made me frown and I snorted, but he continued to talk basically telling me that it was impossible to be friends with anyone living in the Throat. "Really?" I asked, my head tilting as I stared at him. "I'm not your friend? I offer to help you because of your situation and you can't even consider me a friend? What? Am I not good enough?" It was hurtful, to say the least, but I kept listening to him and it wasn't really any different from the first time I had talked to him. He was just whining about something else this time.

"What do you mean?" I tried to interrupt, but Cathun just kept talking, which was something I was beginning to realize more and more that he was good at. Talking and whining. "You are important... and no one expects you to sacrifice your life..." But then I was unaware of the standards that were set for the warriors because I wasn't one. I was just an artisan.

"."

ooc://
don't hate me blu D:

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Tai

Someone should give her a medal for showing such patience. Anyone less kind would have kicked him by now, yet here he was, pushing the limits of the one person that mattered. He might be a self-centered asshole, but he did have some brains. He was able to pick up on a few of the subtle cues as she objected, and closed his mouth for several long moments as he struggled with all the murky feelings around the herd, the girl, his own situation.

"You might be the exception" he mumbled and looked away, his face growing hotter than ought to be strictly possible what with the cold ocean wind and all. "It's not like... I never said you weren't. More like it's the opposite."

He shuffled the sand between his feet, keeping his eyes fixed on the crashing waves, the forget-me-not blue sky, anywhere but on the girl. There was a feeling that if he did look at her she might turn out to be a mirage or a figment of his imagination, flimsy and fading, not really there at all. He wanted to stop talking, afraid that he might finally push her away after all (like he had wanted to before) yet words just came pouring across his tongue. What was it with those clear, red eyes that brought down all his walls without even trying?

"Meg told me, when she got back from that red forest. She said that your father was some important person, that you're some kind of desert princess or whatever and that I should have died before letting you get hurt. The way she said it I thought you had died for sure, and I... I really thought you had..."

To his immense embarrassment the boy felt tears rise to the eyes and blinked furiously to make them go away before she could see it. Once he thought no trace of emotion was gone from his face he stole a glance at Ranjiri, and the sight of her was like knives cutting into his chest. Because he had let her get hurt, hadn't he. There were scars there that he hadn't seen before, lumps and bruises and something was definitely off with one of the wings. Every scrape and bruise seemed to scream at him, and the guilt he had thought disappeared once he realized that she was alive came back full force to beat down every trace of confidence.

"I'm sorry" he whispered, no longer able to contain the raw emotions that pressed at him from every direction. "I shouldn't have left you behind... They're right, I am a fucking coward..."

Image by Yewrezz

» Please tag me!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

Slowly drifting, drifting away, wave after wave

She had been meaning to talk to him after the meeting with the warriors. She hadn't stopped him then because his anger would have barred her words anyway. Besides, he deserved that anger, then, she hadn't wanted to take it from him or fight with him over it. She didn't want to lose him though, so she knew there was a very small window through which she could reach him again. The herd meeting had been her original hope, but he'd come late and well then she'd been deserving of anger.

Today, she thought with a certain solidarity when she woke up with the dawn. She had been scouring the sands for the ashy boy, but the Throat was large, and other duties at times interrupted her. She even started to wonder if he was still within the land - but his presence at the gathering gave her hope he hadn't left them entirely.

That's when Ampere remembered Feusohm. Maybe she'd always had the thought int he back of her mind and just wanted to try the old fashioned way, the way that took effort and skill and knowledge of someone to find them. Maybe she just didn't know enough to manage though, maybe she wasn't capable, but the try had been there, damnit. Still, she had to find him, today.
Reaching back with the fingers of her electric magic, Ampere pulled the bone-made blade from its sheath by her wings. The once magnificent monster, now reduce to a sloping dagger, stared back at her expectantly as electricity moved through it, holding it airborne as she scrutinized. "Find Cathun," she whispered to it, and in response the tip of the blade tilted, a long finger probing the distance where the fire child wandered. Dark lips smiled weakly and Ampere set out through the sands, following Feusohm's reliable guidance.

By the time Ampere saw him, he was not alone, which gave her hope. Particularly when Ampere saw who it was he was talking to. If Ranjiri was anything like the mare she showed herself to be at the herd meeting, then Ampere knew she was more than capable at saving a life. She still had to try though, she owed that much to him, and she wouldn't rest otherwise. Pulling in a deep breath Ampere moved on, careful not to draw too much attention to herself and interrupt them as she approached.

The conversation carried over, low and troubled, even more so with what bits were said that Ampere caught. Megaera? Ampere wondered to herself, remembering again what Cathun had shouted at her that day. She remembered too how easily the SunSpear had turned upon her at a moment's notice and on little more than empty words. Ampere's lips fell into a deep frown.

"No," Ampere murmured at last as she ghosted to a halt near them, still hesitant to fully join them when it seemed so... private. "I don't think you a coward. Fear has it's role in life, and I am often afraid." She tilted her head, her features gentle but lined with a confusion and a hurt she'd been unable to shake since the meeting. "I just think you're untrained, like most the rest of them. I did not mean to wound you, Cathun, just to rile you, as I'm sure Megaera did when she said whatever it was she said." A last attempt at defending a mare she'd thought honorable, but it was becoming more and more difficult.

I wish I could make it easy, easy to love me
a M P E R E
Looking for the right words to say, feels like I'm drowning

Blusl.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

"She said that your father was some important person, that you're some kind of desert princess or whatever and that I should have died before letting you get hurt."

What? What?!

He should have died before letting me get hurt? Desert princess? When did I become some important desert princess? I snorted and stared at Cathun, a frown firmly in place on my face. "That's ridiculous." I murmured. Since when did one individual hold more importance over someone else? When did my life start to matter any more than Cathun's? Why was I suddenly so important just because my dad was Midas the Gallant? I sure wasn't that important before he died.

"The way she said it I thought you had died for sure, and I... I really thought you had..."

The way he said it made my heart ache and I couldn't stop myself from moving closer to him. I couldn't stop myself from reaching out to touch my muzzle against his neck. I breathed softly against his flesh, moved my muzzle from his neck to his cheek and nudged him. "I'm not dead." I said softly. And I guess I felt like I owed him some kind of explanation since Megaera brought up my father, so I withdrew my muzzle and sidestepped closer to Cathun. "My dad used to be the Dragon's Throat Sultan." I said. "But that doesn't make me a desert princess. It doesn't make me more important than anyone else that calls this island home." I looked over at my fiery friend and snorted softly. "And if you decide to die for me I'll make your afterlife a living hell."

It was only a few seconds later that I heard Ampere's voice. I stepped away from Cathun and turned to face the gladiator as she touched on a subject that I didn't know about. I couldn't speak on his being untrained, but I could agree with Ampere that fear was a part of life and I understood why Cathun was so scared. He had a constant reminder of how finite his time was hanging there around his neck. "I don't think you're a coward." I said evenly. "I think you're very brave. If you were a coward you wouldn't be looking for a way to fix that necklace. You'd have taken the coward's way out and ended it already."

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Tai

He tensed under her touch, unaccustomed to this sort of soft intimacy. Once that small, warm nose would have received blisters and burns just by getting close to the fire-child. The flames that burned endlessly from neck and dock and trampling hooves had not always been so gentle, so harmless. It had nearly destroyed a country once, and laid waste to anyone foolish enough to step close to the son of the Fire God's priestess, the cursed one, the red demon reborn. Before he stepped inside the boundaries of Heloia, where other forces reigned...

It didn't mean that he could so easily get used to being touched, and it took all he had not to jump back and holler at her to be careful. It might hurt her kind heart to be rejected (not that he truly believed that. Cathun could have sworn that the girl was really made of silk and steel only, something pretty and flexible and indestructible) and truth be told, it did feel rather nice. Even as she pulled away he felt the touch linger where her nose had traced along his neck and cheek, and while he blushed it kinda made him want to grin too, confusion and delight and harsher, less mushy things that objected to all this touchy-feely crap.

And suddenly they were not alone, and Cathun nearly jumped backwards and felt himself grow even hotter in the face when he found that it was Ampere that came sneaking about, intruding like it was the most natural thing in the world. Whatever thorns that had begun to settle pricked outwards again at once. The mottled colt glared in defiant confusion between the women, unable rather than unwilling to understand what they really were saying.

"What the hell kinda good would riling me up do?" he said, frowning at his (former?) boss. "Since when did getting angry and shouting make any difference? I doubt getting angry would have made me do anything different - it never changed the facts of my situation before, so why would it now?"

Flickering embers lingered on the blue-tinted mare for a moment, hesitant as to whether she had heard the full story of his situation from Meg. If she hadn't his words wouldn't make much sense, but he wasn't really in the mood to explain it all again. If she wanted to know, Ampere would have to ask - he wasn't about to go blabbering about his past to get sympathy, he left that to Aithniel. She'd seemed to enjoy playing the misunderstood heroine.

"Really, none of you make any sense" he went on, melancholy transforming into increased frustration. "You keep talking about family even though I don't have any relatives here at all, and you say we're worth the same... and then you say that any warrior should be happy to die for these strangers, like everyone else is worth more after all. I don't get it, Ampere. Should I live or should I die, which is it? And if I live... you say I'm important, Ranjiri, but how? If I am, why have I been marked to die like this, why don't I get to be like everyone else?"

He stepped back, shaking his head in honest confusion. All he had was questions, no one ever gave him a satisfying answer, and wherever he went people kept stacking expectations on him like he'd know what to do without ever being taught how.

Image by Yewrezz

@Ampere
@Ranjiri

he really has no self-awareness. -sigh-

» Please tag me!

Cathun's reaction was like a cold slap across the face. She stifled a sigh, regretting now her decision to approach after all. Perhaps she should have waited longer, until the boy was alone, but would it have ended any differently, with any fewer bristles?

Blue eyes drifted to Ranjiri, thankful for her kind and honest words that had managed to provide this much soothing. A low nod was given towards the golden fringed pegasus, loyalty swaying quickly for the mare she knew so little of. Though at the mention of the stud's necklace, Ampere became lost. For the life of her Ampere couldn't understand the importance of such a bauble in a time like this, or what it had to do with bravery.

She didn't have much time to dwell on it because Cathun was back to growling. Nonchalantly Ampere watched and listened to his tirade, wondering if this is what she always looked and sounded like. She could sense his frustration, the drive behind his words that she wished to mold into something more productive. She had the same thing, and just like him she suffered from being unable to make everyone see what she already saw. What does he see? she wondered, hoping she could know, so that she might better understand him. Ignorance was a lonely place sometimes.

"They've helped me often enough," she replied with a faint, short laugh. "Anger, like fear, has its place." Here her blue gaze glimmered with a wise mischief and her head leaned in closer towards him. "Why did you fight the wolf?" What did you feel child of wrath? Shouting in and of itself wasn't effective, but with the right time, the right place, the right words, it could make a great change. She saw that potential in him; the same intelligence and tenacity he had displayed in the Edge decision.

At his next set of words she did laugh. She couldn't help it really, and she didn't want to mock him, but was he really so blinded? "You think blood is all that makes family?" she asked suddenly, the mirth dying away to seriousness. The play was gone from her electric stare, replaced instead with steel. "Family is having each other's backs no matter what, all feelings aside, because without family you're as good as dead anyway. You're born into blood, you step into family, and you choose friends. You tell me which one matters more." She shook her head, reminding herself not to get annoyed. He was young and emotional and he needed to find out the same way she had when she was his age. Though, where was his blood then, if it seemed to matter so much to him?

"I never said a warrior should be happy to die for strangers," she went on, less certainty in her voice now as she tried to understand the last jumble of what he'd said. She felt like it had to do with her, because he was talking about fighting and dying and living, but when had she ever said half the things he was talking about? Who marked him to die - her? She frowned. "I want you to live, but no life is honorable without work. If you bear the name warrior your job is on the battlefield and that comes with risks, but I hardly expect you to jump into every fight for the hell of it. I'd hardly say that's marked for death" She exhaled gently, nares flaring and eyes watching him carefully. "Perhaps a different job would suit you better." She wasn't sure she had ever met someone so seemingly terrified of dying, at least not in her line of work. Her soldiers knew the risk when they took the name, and many found glory in the fight, death or otherwise.

a M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

I stayed silent for a while and listened to Ampere and Cathun as they spoke, but it was mostly because I knew nothing about what they were talking about. Ampere asked why he fought against the wolf, something I was wondering about since he'd wanted to get away so badly during the first fight. I wondered how he could think himself a coward when he'd been there for that fight. Honestly, it was ridiculous.

When the conversation turned to family I nodded my agreement with the electric mare. "Family doesn't have to be blood." I finally spoke up. "Some of my closest family are the ones that I share no blood with, like Cera and Gaucho." Sometimes I thought it was pretty sad that I was closer with horses I wasn't related to than I was to my own family. "I love them and I would do anything for them and the rest of this herd because they're my family too. We all live together and take care of each other like a family should. That's what binds us all together. Its what makes us function and protects us."

But as always Cathun had a tirade and his frustration was nearly tangible, but he wasn't the only one that was frustrated. "You are important." I protested. "To me. To us." I looked at Ampere, then, a silent plea for some backup. "And to the rest of the herd...It doesn't matter what anyone else in your old home thought..."

"If I am, why have I been marked to die like this, why don't I get to be like everyone else?"

He was making me frustrated all over again and I snorted at him. "You have to move on, Cathun." I said, exasperated that every conversation went back to his situation"It happened, there's nothing you can do about it besides move on with your life." He would be angry with me, but I didn't care. He might not want to hear what I was saying, but someone needed to say it, and I wasn't scared of his little temper tantrums that he pitched. "You let it define who you are, you let it degrade you and make you feel worthless. You act like you're worthless. How can you expect everyone else to see the value in you when you can't even see the value in yourself?"

He stepped back, but I stayed rooted to the place I stood and I watched him. "When I look at you I see someone who is brave. I see a fighter, someone who is passionate, and obstinate, and utterly frustrating. I see someone with a good, kind heart. I see someone who is worthy of love and friendship. Someone that has value." I looked at Ampere, then. "What do you see when you look at him?" I asked her and just hoped that she would help me with build him back up.

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Tai

Was it really that easy? Lump a bunch of strangers together, slap the title of family on it and live happily ever after? It sounded like wishful thinking at best and delusional at worst, because there was no way something like that would actually work. Cathun pressed his lips together and turned the head from Ranjiri to Ampere and back as they barraged him with their thoughts, their views, their fucking feeling, until he felt choked and fed up and backed against a wall.

Why he had fought the wolf? Hell if he knew now! Back then he had been a jumbled mixture of deathwish and defiance, unsure whether he wanted to prove them all wrong or show them how pointless it all was by snuffing it then and there. But he couldn't very well say that, because then they'd lock him up with the healers and never let him leave the island again.

So for once he kept his mouth shut and listened, but what he heard only made him more and more frustrated. Important, brave, kind, family, duty, risks, expectations, it all turned into a swirling vortex that battered him, bruised him, hurt like fucking hell for reasons he couldn't even place and in the face of it all he backed away even further, shaking his head just a little, then more persistently as if they could be swatted away like obnoxious flies.

"I.. just... stop. Just STOP, okay?" He nearly shouted, but managed with immense effort to keep his voice level, despite the mounting desire to scream and kick something.

"Knock it off! All of that, it's just words! You both keep talking and talking but what are you even saying? What is it that you want from me, huh? WHAT? Because I don't have anything, I can't DO anything, and nothing matters because I'll be dead soon anyway!"

Couldn't they fucking SEE that? It was pointless, everything was a complete waste of time and that was the only thing he didn't have.

"Save yourselves the fucking effort and give up, whatever expectations you have.. I won't be able to live up to them anyway."

He felt like running again. Ampere was right about one thing, he didn't seem suited for the battlefield. The urge to turn tail and run was too strong, his own existence too precious yet not precious enough that he could sacrifice anyone else in order to live.

Cathun didn't know where he fit in - maybe his place was on the other side of life, in a different kind of existence.

He didn't know.

Image by Yewrezz

@Ampere
@Ranjiri

» Please tag me!

It was a lot, Ampere was good at talking a lot. She realized that perhaps it might be too much for him as she and Ranjiri seemed to be playing a tennis match of knowledge with the boy, but even so she'd continued, because they were things he needed to hear. Still, despite having ears on his head, she couldn't not assume he heard anything at all. So quietly the blue marked mare sealed her lips, a frown holding them in place. It was not any kind of dissatisfaction that molded the expression, but rather an internal uncertainty of how to save this stallion she saw sinking past her grasp.

With Cera she'd only needed to kick his ass. She would have done the same with this one if only he didn't seem so afraid.

Ampere knew about fear, about running, about feeling like you couldn't overcome something- fuck, that was her life. She didn't really understand how she dealt with it though. She got angry, like him, started a war she couldn't win and has just kept on fighting all other feelings aside. He needed something to fight for, but was it really the herd? Blue gaze drifted to the mare at her side, wondering if the gold feathered girl might be what he needed.

"Why do you keep talking about death and giving up?" she asked after letting silence guide her for a while. There was a firmness to her voice, but nothing hard or demanding. It was true curiosity, and something like a mother's wisdom behind it. "We all die, it's why you make the most of life."

After another moment of silent thought, Ampere tilted her head, that curiosity still in her gaze as she looked at the ashy stud. "What do you want?"

a M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

"What is it that you want from me, huh? WHAT? Because I don't have anything, I can't DO anything, and nothing matters because I'll be dead soon anyway!"

"So that's it?" I asked, my eyes narrowed as I stared at Cathun as he raised his voice and shouted. "You're just going to roll over and wait for that necklace to break the rest of the way so you can die? What happened to the stallion I met that wanted to find a way to fix it? What happened to that determination?" I snorted and I glared because the more he spoke the more frustrated I got with him. I wanted to yell at him that if he opened his ears and listened he might understand that we were inviting him to be part of our family, but he was too stubborn and too stuck on feeling sorry for himself. 

"Save yourselves the fucking effort and give up, whatever expectations you have.. I won't be able to live up to them anyway."

"Oh my god, will you just shut up?" I snapped because I couldn't take it anymore (I've only got so much patience). "You stand there and complain that you get treated like a dog, we try to show you that we don't hate you, that we like you and you throw it back in our faces! You stand there and say that you don't have any family here and we're trying to invite you to be part of ours, but you refuse to understand. And its not because you don't, you're smart enough to. You just don't want to and I can only imagine that's because it might mean that you're important to someone." My tail lashed against my hocks and I snorted. "No! You'd rather stand there and feel sorry for yourself and wait to die and try to blame everyone else for the way you feel."

As I spoke I realized that he would probably hate me for what I was saying snapping, but at that point I didn't care. I was too frustrated with his 'pity me' attitude to really care like I should and be as sensitive as I could. But when had my sensitivity to him ever broken through his thick skull and beat into his brain?  Life sucks, I get it. But its not just yours that sucks so do yourself a favor and get over yourself." Yeah, like my snapping at him would help, but just talking to him didn't seem to work. Maybe shouting at him would.

I heard Ampere speak, then and I looked at her because she said almost the same thing that I had told him in the Veins. He would rebuke it, I figured, just like he had everything I'd said the first time we talked argued. She asked what he wanted and I finally looked back at Cathun and waited for him to either answer or run away.

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Tai

A long, ringing silence followed after Ranjiri went silent. Cathun found himself staring at her, mouth open, completely taken aback. Not by the words, per say, but by the tone. She had been snarling, like an angry badger, and if he hadn't been so overwhelmed by the sheer ferocity he might have grinned widely in appreciation. What a woman!

But. Her words still stung. Once they managed to penetrate through his confusion (which was very real, by the way, and not at all a product of lacking will as she'd said) the young equine closed his eyes to conceal the hurt they might reveal. Oh, she was right of course. That was the annoying part about Ranjiri. She was always right, always wise, always so fucking strong... She made it sound so very easy to just accept and trust, but she also had a very kind nature, not at all like his own brooding, begrudged spirit.

Postponing the moment when he would have to react to her anger and verbal challenges he turned instead to Ampere, impatient and far more willing to snap at her than at the golden girl. Her tone was quiet and reasonable, unlike before at the warrior meeting, and it struck him as such a waste that she would place this reasonable attitude on the back-burner. Imagine how much more she might get accomplished if she changed her tone of voice!

"Don't you high-ranked people ever talk to one another?" he quipped, responding to her apparent confusion. "I've already told Meg, I thought she would have spread the tale before next light... " But apparently not. It seemed he would have to start from the beginning - perhaps that would help them understand his fears, his pain... his wishes.

Blinking slowly as he looked between the mares Cathun sighed and began to pick his way along the water, not intending to leave so much as to provide an outlet for all the restless, pent up energy.

"Fine, I will tell you. The whole story. It's short enough, but... don't blame me for wasting your time." He cleared his voice and tried to gather his thoughts, hating every second he had to spend thinking about his past.

"My father, Lace, met my mother Guren by chance, or so they've told me. He was a mere traveler then, just passing by, but mom was a priestess. Devoted to the Fire God, supposed to be seen or touched by none other than him. Well, they ended up breaking that taboo, and when that God found out, he cursed my mom for breaking her vow. 'Your fate and the fate of the realm will be brought on by blood and flame'. Then she had me, and I wasn't exactly... normal."

He stopped and turned to the women, a grim look on his face as he reached for the golden chains around his neck. With the pulse racing through his veins and nauseous with fear he shrugged the thing off, and as the links landed in the sand his entire nature changed. With a roar crimson flames erupted and consumed every inch of skin, until he appeared nothing more than a single, dancing flame, a horse-shaped demon radiating heat and blinding light.

"This is my curse" he said, the voice a dry crackle, the murmur of wind on glowing coals. Unearthly. Monstrous.

"I am not of flesh and bone, but fire. Giving birth to me nearly killed my mother, and I burned the healers and temple priests that tried to douse the flames to death. Only in Helovia, it seems, am I harmless... outside these borders I would have burned you by now, just by standing this close."  He gazed longingly at the necklace in the sand, every moment that passed by without it felt like torture.

"I grew fast. Too fast. In weeks I grew to the size and strength of a yearling, and my temper was uncontrollable. They thought me mad, insane... They kept me locked up within the dark temple, deprived it of oxygen and light so that these flames wouldn't harm anyone. Only the old high priest and my mother were allowed to see me."

He closed his eyes and the bright, luminous pits that were his windows to the world faded, diminished.

"Then dad came back and found out about my existence. He fought his way to the temple and made them let me out, made them teach me - to read and write, about history and culture, about the god that had turned me into this. But that fucking demon, he wasn't exactly happy about it so he used me and fulfilled that accursed prophecy. He moved me like a pawn and had me burn everyone. Everyone! The temple priests, the soldiers, the citizens, my newfound friends... my mother!"

White-hot sparks trickled down the flickering silhouette of cheeks, his voice taught with pain.

"When the smoke cleared that old, prosperous land was reduced to ashes. By me. Do you understand? I did that. But it's not like these flames burn on their own. All fire needs fuel, right? Before that God had used his powers to keep me burning but since he relinquished that hold on me this bloody curse feeds on my soul. By rights I should be dead already - I have lived for three years even though I was only supposed to last for one, all thanks to that piece of junk."

A burning foot kicked into the sand by the trinket, bitterly.

"Now that thing is failing too, and it seems like my only option, if I want to keep dragging out this pointless existence, is to turn to yet another fucking god for help."

He reached down and picked up the seals, fiddled a bit until he could get it back around the neck, and as the remaining stone resumed its glowing and the fires were doused, slowly but steadily, he looked back at the others with a grim expression.

"You ask me what I want, like it even matters. What I want has never been relevant. I have never had a choice, and everything I gained has already been taken away from me. What I want? I want a life far away from gods and magic, where no one can decide over my life but me. I want the chance to live or die due to my actions, not because of some self-absorbed immortal. I want a life that is mine.... But that's not going to happen. Only by magic can this necklace be mended, that much I do know, and only by having this can I continue to even exist."

He began pacing again, the remaining flame-like mane ripping and crackling in the breeze.

"So yeah, Ranjiri" he said, finally acknowledging her earlier scolding, "call me whatever you want. It still doesn't change the fact that I hate gods, and I hate magic, and I hate relying on others!"

"But it's the only thing I can do, because... "
the air went out of him quite suddenly and he stopped yet again, looking defeated and tired, "because I don't want to die."

Image by Yewrezz

@Ampere
@Ranjiri

Soooo sorry for the novel and the sob story D: he wanted to tell, so I let him.

» Please tag me!

The conversation continued to be very confusing for Ampere, especially when Ranjiri started to talk about broken necklaces causing death, what!? For the most part though Ampere remained silent, letting Ranjiri, who seemed to have better handle with Cathun, talk the sense he needed. Somewhere along the way she figured she might be able to piece together what the fuck they were all talking about.

She was glad she did, Ranjiri talked some good hard sense. Ampere grinned, liking her more and more. Damn, why wasn't she a warrior?

"We do,." Ampere responded to his clipped question, trying to keep the agitation out of her voice. "We've just been a little busy fighting gods and all - and we don't share every personal story that comes our way." Though, he had a point, she needed to ask Megaera what the fuck she had done and said.

Cathun thankfully was reasonable enough to just explain things to her, and readily Ampere listened. She was not at all surprised to find that trouble with a god played a role in whatever chaos he was wrapped up in, but it didn't make it any easier either. He reached for the necklace he wore, as boring of a bauble as any other, or so she thought. When it struck the sand he ignited, the change so extreme Ampere's head lifted, eyes widened, even for all her experience with fire. She was not afraid though, and rather appreciate the burning of his body even as he called it a curse.

She tilted her head as he continued on his tirade, electric gaze shimmering as she watched the creature of flame stalk back and forth, then quiet beneath the embrace of the trinket. She watched him curse the world in so many words, and still she remained quiet, lips pursed with contemplation. When at last it seemed he had tired himself out some, and he was left with that final exhausting statement, Ampere spoke up.

"Why did you want to be king then?" she asked softly, watching him carefully. "Why did you choose to live here, under the Sun God's domain, his fires just as fierce as yours?" She exhaled steadily, "Why, if you don't care about or want to rely on others, did you run so hard and so fast to warn the herd of the bear god?" Why are you even here?

"You act like you don't care, but that's dragon shit. That, that necklace helps you have others in your life - not having anyone is something far worse than any curse, yours included. By its nature your curse would keep you isolated, but this necklace bridges those gaps. Why would you resist fixing it? One god is not the same as another, and no god compares to the evil that lives inside ourselves. You would do yourself a disservice to let that necklace fall, and you would blame the gods but it would be you Cathun that would have done it."

"That you've been dealt this fate is a terrible thing, but you cannot change that, you can only make it better, you can only fight for the things that you deserve. You deserve a life like this Cathun. For someone who's already cheated death why would you fear it? Conquer it, you are more than capable."

a M P E R E

Blusl.deviantart.com

I can admit that I wasn't totally sure of what exactly it meant when the last of the beads on Cathun's necklace broke. I was under the impression that it meant he would die right away, but obviously I was wrong. I flinched back in shock and surprise when he took the necklace off and his entire body erupted in flames. So that was what he was. He was fire. He was a phoenix. He spoke of his past, told us about how he had been used to burn down his previous home and murder everyone he cared about and my heart did ache for him. I remember how I felt when I'd tried to hurt my dad and Gaucho so I could only imagine what Cathun felt after having actually killed his family, but I didn't think he should blame or hate himself because of it.

Ampere was the next to speak and I looked at her, listening as she asked the questions that I wanted to ask. I turned my head back to Cathun and I added my own question. "If you don't want to care about anyone then why are you wearing my feather?" My eyes drifted to the golden feather speckled red with my blood. I just didn't understand him. Right when I thought I was beginning to have some understanding he surprised me by throwing another fit or saying something else hurtful.

I fell silent again as Ampere spoke and I found myself watching her, clinging to every word that fell from her lips and I agreed with everything. How many times had I tried to explain that Helovia's gods were not the same as the ones from his home? It was something that his stubborn ass refused to accept because he clung too tightly and too desperately to his hatred, but hatred wasn't going to save him.

I turned my head back to Cathun and I sighed. "A phoenix rises from the ashes after it burns, Cathun." I said, because I couldn't help but liken him to the magnificent bird that had been bonded to my father. "You have the option of rising from the ashes of your past and making your future better. Or you can let your past consume you until there's nothing left of you." I held my gaze steady on the stallion. "In the end it doesn't matter what we want from you. You're the one that has to choose to rise."

"."

Image Credit

@Ampere

aud pixel!