the Rift

[OPEN] All I see is red. [OPEN!]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

[Iso has GLL - she can see thermal radiation. Set right after the SWP thread.]

Isopia didn't understand why everyone kept saying that this new land was so beautiful. Now on the one hand, beauty was hard for the earthen child to understand. She simply saw things the way that they were, and in her mind, nothing held any sort of intrinsic property that made it beautiful. Things just were. But as she grew, she began to notice a pattern of things regularly called 'beautiful', and even if she didn't understand, usually she could pick out beautiful objects.

The flats though? She didn't see it.

That was likely because what she did see - all that she saw in fact - was heat.

The flats were a wash of reds, yellows, and oranges. There was almost no blue in her vision at all - everything was so still and shallow that it all appeared subtly on fire. At least, that's the way her infected eyes made it seem. So once the God of the Sun had declared all to be safe, the demi-child had flown from Volterra's withers, dropped to the sands, and transformed into her regular body. 

True to the loner that she was, Isopia hadn't asked anyone to join her as she wandered away from the group. Instead, her golden (though black-ooze surrounded eyes), had widened and begun to inspect this new land. Her quad-horned skull tilted and lowered to the ground as she tried to discern based on her new-found vision, more information about this new place. But all that she saw was surface level thermal radiation - her gaze didn't penetrate into the salty crust, and so she learned nothing new. Still, she wouldn't throw away this opportunity to learn more about the world around her, and so she continued to wander. Occasionally she would splash through a shallow puddle, noting the way the water subtly cooled as it broke away.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Evaneska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Your quote can go here!
what if it's two lines?
Selfish, ungrateful. Words spoken from the past rang true. The gods were said to be cruel, malicious, and corrupted. I didn't disagree. Under false pretense I was lured into a home that would be my prison. But even then I should have been more grateful - I should have been happy to stay in a place so lovely. The god from my past was correct when he growled at me, saying how ungrateful I was. By now you would think I'd have learned. No matter how hard I tried my ugly nature revealed itself. Here I was graced by the presence of another god, albeit this one regal and truly divine. He spoke to me which had come at quite a surprise. He gave me a new home and even reunited me with my master - my friend - from Urd. I should be celebrating with them, I should be throwing back my head in glee.

Instead I walked away.

I felt claustrophobic in the crowd. This Helovia was beautiful yet at the same time I was overwhelmed. Anxiety made my heart flutter as I took in the pure, untouched beauty I was surrounded by. Again I reminded myself of how I should be reacting. However I couldn't shake the feeling off. I wanted to run away. It was a stupid, foolish thought but one I couldn't shake. I did not fit here, I did not belong here. The god begged to differ, but I doubt he would even remember me. I know I shouldn't be putting words into other's mouths. Still, there was no way someone such as I would be missed. Thantos had put on such a great display over seeing me. What more could I want? Greedy, greedy.

I wasn't even sure what I truly wanted.

Peace and hope were abundant in this land: Halcyon Flats. I was a mere freckle on its otherwise untouched surface. Cool water embraced my hooves as I moved. The familiar feeling of feathers leaving my wings, forming small birds as they did so, couldn't even shake away this unfamiliarity. The nonliving birds had brought me such comfort in the past. Now I only felt dizzy as I watched them slowly circle around my head, keeping in pace with my slow cadence.

So lost in thought, drowning in self misery, that I nearly ran into a majestic mare. I felt so dull in comparison to her rich, earthly colors. I yearned to fold my feathers across my eyes and pretend that, if I couldn't see her, she wasn't there. "Apologies, miss. I did not mean to disturb your walk."

"Talk?"

@Isopia

ooc hope you don't mind if i join :3
image credits

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

It was hot. It was bright. Springtime must be almost over if the air was capable of assuming these kind of temperatures. Mind you, it didn't exactly help to have a body that made every degree seem twice as hot. She was made for snowy expanses, the tall mountain tops and the cold, vast emptiness of the sky - not this salty oven of a flooded desert.

Whatever playful mood or curiosity that had driven her out there to begin with was gone along with the fear of another battle. Her initial thought had been to keep exploring, but as the day grew hotter the child began to long for shade, water and a pile of snow some three meters deep to bury herself in. To make matters worse the tar kept clogging up her throat and a couple of ribs had begun to feel quite sore from all the coughing. Mother was nowhere to be found, she couldn't find any landmark that meant anything, and wherever she looked the colors of everything had deepened, darkened, become glowing and radiant and definitely unusual.

There were still plenty of people drifting about the place. Like her they had probably left when it became clear that there wouldn't be another battle. Whether they were relieved too or disappointed she neither knew nor cared about, like the butterflies Erthë wished them far away to trudge along somewhere else - she had a nasty, blistering headache and was only able to glare at two mares as she slowly walked past them. It was only when she'd turned her back on them that the filly realized that she knew at least one; the big, spotted hybrid that had fought for the Bear God for what felt like years ago.

"Why did you say it was wrong?" she asked, and turned around to squint curiously at the older girl, half blinded by the glaring sunlight. "In the red forest, you shouted and poured water on the Bear... Why?"

She had been curious about it all this time. There were obviously things going on here that the child didn't know anything about. The moral aspects of these battles was something she only just had begun to see, and understanding any of it was really much beyond her. It had been coincidence that placed her at the wrong places all the time, and when a god then called her name what choice did a filly have but to obey?

And yet, the feeling of being pushed and shoved around and making choices without knowing what was right or wrong annoyed her to no end. There were too many options to choose from, to many half-spoken promises and hidden consequences that she didn't know the extent of... How could she even be expected to do the right thing without any information at all? The Wolf God's tooth rested black and heavy against her chest, it's murky glow seeming to consume the clear sunlight. An ominous token, or perhaps a proof of debt - to be cashed in later, at who knew what prize?

Maybe she, this heavy-set and vaguely impressive girl, had answers? At the very least she seemed to be one with plenty of opinions, and for now it might be good enough.

The gray stranger was spared only a fleeting, nervous glance. Wasn't she one of those who had come through the Sun Lord's portal? Aside from the small wings behind the ears that leaked feathers and cried birds there was nothing remarkable about her it seemed. She wasn't nearly as striking in appearance or character as Maren and seemed much less assertive. Was this person a fake, or was she related to the tiger-striped Diviner?

So many questions, all craving answer.

e r t h ë
in every lost soul the bones of a miracle
Image Credit

@Random Event - GLL

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA

Isopia was nearly a giant compared to the mare who appeared - awash in yellows and reds rather than her natural grays - or at least, to Isopia's eyes.

The demi-child, not normally prone to halting and bearing conversation, did just that. If nothing else, the way her infection had mutated and permeated her gaze into a thermal heat scan would keep her busy, should the mare prove uninteresting.

"Then why did you?" Isopia asked, completely genuinely. The Flats were enormous - and even though they appeared to curve in on themselves, like a massage bubble, the demi-god was sure that they were not in fact as concave as they appeared. And so, with all this space, this winged-skull creature had decided to come near her, and then apologize. Why not simply skip the need for apologies and avoid the situation that would call for one. Or if you hadn't avoided it - then why apologize? Her golden eyes - currently weeping blackish fluid thanks to this odd malady - appraised the winged mare with an academic, but distant, interest. 

However before she could answer, an even more petite creature strode their way.  Isopia looked at the quad-horned creature, surprised how alike in appearance they seemed to be - especially since the girl appeared in swathes of oranges and yellows, rather than nearly pristine white. She could have had Isopia's exact colouring, for all the demi-God knew. At first, the girl improperly assumed that the youngling was coming to bother them. Would she too, offer an apology for an entirely avoidable interruption? But what fell from her maturing-lips, was something that made Isopia's soul and radiate with appreciation.

A question. And an interesting one at that.

"Because it might have been, for all anyone knew at the time. Our Gods left, because our land was growing too small for our widening population. So they appropriated new places for us to dwell. In so doing, they came upon news gods with their own problems and difficulties, not so significantly different than what we face here. The God of the Spark opened a portal, allowing those from the Rift who would follow him, to pass through. As a consequence, one of their Gods also followed, seemingly and unsurprisingly upset about this assault on his lands and his peoples." The girl had learned much of what had transpired since that first battle. Had this small filly inquired about it directly after, Isopia might not have had so much to say. 

"There was hardly a conversation. No jury of sensible minds were allowed to consider what had occurred, and to deem the situation right or wrong. Instead, the order was given to kill the beast - a creature not importantly different from any of our Gods." Her shoulders shrugged slightly, mis-matched wings splaying in a neutral expression of so there you have it"No one took the time to think, to ask. A life was ended on the say so of the God of the Spark. So I say again, the murder might have been wrong. At the time, it was too hard to say. And rashness in such situations is never justified. "

Although the girl had fought alongside the Moon Goddess - and would have fought with the Sun God should a battle have occurred, the filly had not asked about those battles, or if Isopia had changed her mind. And so, characteristically, Isopia didn't mention it. 

Image Credits

Evaneska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Your quote can go here!
what if it's two lines?
Blue eyes glazed over as a sullen half-smile lifted the corners of my lips. The mare presented the question with an underlying tinge of ingenuity. I kept my head lowered, unable to gaze at this radiant and intelligent entity. Power seeped from her very pours. For some reason I had the feeling that she was someone important. A lovely first impression I left in her mind. If her status matched her majestic air then I was certainly praying for a redo. Not that such a silly, silly prayer would be answered. Reality overwhelmed any sorts of fantasies my mind could create.

Before I could reply a small filly joined us. She looked like an angel: blessed with a pristine white coat, ethereal wings, and small horns. The child didn't address me but no offense was taken. When the young girl opened her mouth she asked a question that intrigued me and presented maturity far beyond her age. Quietly I wondered what the little angel had to have gone through to have such a serious look upon her face.

I listened intely. However the more the conversation continued the more my wings drooped. Bear. They spoke of gods of this land and gods of another. Bear. Were they speaking of where I was from? The entire circumstance was unknown to me but there was enough pieces to make a semi-complete puzzle board. I recalled when Thantos first saw me. He shouted about how it was dangerous, how there would be a battle. While he had been proved wrong this time he must be speaking from previous experiences. How long has he been in these lands compared to me?

My thirst for knowledge grew as did a creeping dread that I couldn't shake away. The words came slow, each one hand picked, as I addressed the mare, "A good question indeed. Like a fool I was wandering around with my head absorbed by my thoughts. A mere simpleton, I could not manage to pay attention to my nagging thoughts and surroundings. Only did I realize when I nearly bumped into you." I bowed my head lower. "Which is why I apologized. For being a dullard. " Wistfully I looked up at the sky. "To be honest, I am not used to sharing a land with so many others." Years of isolation would do that to you. While I was exposed in Urd it was so chaotic and I had mostly stuck by my master's side.

"You two speak of the Gods." I mused and, for a second, hesitated. "The Rift Gods, as you called them, were the rulers of the world I was from. To speak ill of them is blasphemy, and I do not know the whole story, but the Gods that cross through the portals - the Rift - have been rightfully dealt with. Or so it sounds. Plague, death, corruption, and taint follow in their wake." A dark shadow overcast my face. I knew from first hand experience far too well.

Should I continue to speak? Had I spoke too much? "I do not know the reasoning behind these circumstances, but your Gods are saviors." At least to me. A final ray of hope was shining in the Sun God. "I.. I realize that with each new land summoned, with each Riftian saved, a great evil threatens to lives of the natives here." I would not wish this taint on even my worst enemy. "You don't have to accept us - accept me - but please receive my gratitude. It is not much - a mere consolation prize that holds no word - but what you brave equines are doing.. is changing a lot of lives."

My eyes flickered down from the sky as I nervously gazed at the royal mare and the blessed filly. "If you wish to know of our Gods, our lands, I can try to fill you in. If you'd rather wish I depart now, for I have spoken plenty already, than I will do so."

"Talk?"

@Isopia @Erthë

ooc ahh sorry for the delay. i hope this post came out alright <3
image credits

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Black-bleeding eyes, one green as a tropical sea and the other white, pallid and dying, watched each mare in turn as they answered her questions, Evaneska even going so far as to reveal things the child had yet to even inquire about. The way she absorbed it was almost too focused, because there was no hint of impatience or restlessness even when the answers turned out to be both long and complicated. Instead the childish brows furrowed in concentration as she struggled to understand not just the words but the meaning behind the words.

It was a difficult subject, for sure. Basically what the brown-flecked girl said was that it might have been wrong to kill the Bear, and it might have been wrong to help the Time God when he asked her to. This didn't sit entirely well with her. If Time had been wrong, wouldn't that mean that Moon was wrong too? Erthë had been only impressed by what she had seen of the dark goddess until now, and had completely disregarded all the mutters she had heard about her being mean and doing bad things. Porcelain hued wings pressed tighter against slender shoulders as if to protect her from the new feelings of doubt that began coursing through her, and it was with a new kind of desperation she turned to Evaneska and her different perspective.

That the foreign gods had been ill was quite apparent to the girl. After all, wasn't she standing there, dripping black filth into the gleaming layer of water that covered the ground, so that the illusion of serene perfection ended up spotted and blemished, imperfect? Were the inside if her thighs not pockmarked by the scars left behind from bleeding boils that only recently had healed? But...

"If they are sick, why aren't we helping them find a cure instead?" she asked, believing as most children that everyone older than herself had to have the answer to all questions. "Why did the gods fetch the red forest and the green forest and this place here? If the Rift gods are so bad, why don't we send them back to the Rift instead of killing them?"

She twisted, gazing down upon the glowing black tooth at her chest with clear unease.

"I don't like hurting them" she confessed, saying out loud for the first time what had been plaguing her ever since the first battle had begun. "They look scary and say scary things but I don't want them dead. Is it really okay to pick them apart like that..?"

She shook her head to push away the all too vivid imagery of the gods handing out the body parts like trophies, the pretty ink-stained face downcast and troubled. It took her a while to remember the head-winged mare's offer to reveal more, tough once she did recall it Erthë pricked the woolly ears and turned to the Rift mare with renewed attentiveness.

"There aren't... more of them, are there? Mr Sun said that there would be no more fighting so there will be no more, right?"

She believed the words of the fiery lord. He had sounded so confident when he promised them peace, and she had no reason do doubt him. Just because something had happened twice before didn't mean it had to happen again.

Right?

e r t h ë
in every lost soul the bones of a miracle
Image Credit

@Isopia
@Evaneska

sorry for the wait

@Random Event - GLL

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

ISOPIA

If they are sick, why aren't we helping them find a cure instead? "There are maladies in this world for which there are no cure." Isopia responded tonelessly, shrugging her shoulders which were seemingly stained with blood-marred patterns. Why did the gods fetch the red forest and the green forest and this place here? If the Rift gods are so bad, why don't we send them back to the Rift instead of killing them? Isopia continued to answer the filly's questions, in her usually distant academic tone.

"I answered this already. Helovia was growing too large - our population was beginning to endanger the earth all around us. And so, they appropriated what we needed. Besides, I believe that the God of the Spark indicated that the Bear God could have gone back through ... but naturally he declined, in favour of trying to re-take what was his. If I stole from you some charm or item that you owned and then told you to go away or else, surely you wouldn't just leave. Or at least, many wouldn't. Our Gods took from them. Just as our Gods would likely die from us should the same threat be posed to Helovia, so too did their Gods fight."

Again Isopia shrugged. Erthe's latest question was one that she too had considered. Was it right, what they were doing? "A bear kills those who comes near its cubs. It does not warn, it merely protects. So too a multitude of other animals. Viruses and bacteria behave the same way. We have ... some justification for our actions. And you are right - their Gods could simply leave. That they don't, that they put up a fight, might suggest that it is alright to kill them. After all, we don't think the bear has done anything wrong when she kills the coyote who stalks her cubs? So why think any wrong is being done here? As for whether or not there shall be more fighting ... there either will or there won't. Nothing now can be done to change that."

Image Credits