the Rift

[PRIVATE] for in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

"No no no!" the black-winged mare laughed as water splashed high into the air, glittering jewels that sparkled in the evenings golden light. "Not so hard, not so fast! Like this, "like you want to stir the water. Slow, steady, unyielding!"

"Like... like this?" Panting slightly from the continued effort of moving her waterlogged wings the filly frowned in concentration and tried to imitate her mothers graceful motion. Pushing the wings down, forward, up and round, the point of the exercise was to build muscles and practice the movements that would one day allow her to fly freely across the sky. For the better part of an hour she had been splashing around in the water, grateful for the shade of the trees and the cool liquid that staved off the worst of the afternoon's heat, all as frustration mounted. It was hard to get the move just right, so that she didn't splash or wobble or plunge beneath the surface. Her shoulders burned like cold fire, breathing was made even harder by the constant coughs and snivels as the black lung disease kept sapping her strength. Yet the child refused to stop even when Mother began to look concerned. It had taken her days to convince the tired, sickly mare to give her a lesson, and she wouldn't stop until she did this thing right.

Straining to control the aching wings Erthë gave it another try. Down, forward, up and...

"Good!"
"I did it mom!"
"VERY good, my dove!"

Shadow's voice was warm and dark, serious face split into a wide smile, more brilliant and beautiful than even the rays of light that filtered down through the dense canopy. Erthë beamed back at her, and at a sign from the mare that she was allowed to rest she let herself collapse back into the water, sinking deep into the murky depths to savor the triumph. Once she drifted back up the the surface however the mother was making her way out of the pool, water rushing from coat and wings onto the soft moss. The filly groaned in disappointment - it had been great to spend so much time with the blackbird, she didn't want it to end!

"Do you have to go?" she mumbled, watching morosely as the grown mare shook herself, spraying water all around like a fine mist.
"I'm not going far" Shadow replied, though upon looking back at the filly and noticing the sad expression on her face she smiled and sighed resignedly.
"I am just going to graze, Erthë, don't look at me like that. I am tired and hungry and I need a break. So do you."
"You promise? You're not disappearing somewhere again?"

The girl couldn't help the prickling worry - it wouldn't be the first time the mother left and was gone for hours, even days at a time. It wasn't unusual. Shadow had been doing that for as long as the filly could remember, but as she grew older it became harder to understand why. Why she left, where she went, why she didn't bring Erthë along... She wanted to ask so badly, but she had yet to pluck up the courage to do so.

"Yes, I promise" the mother laughed. "You are welcome to join me, you know. You are so skinny, it would do you well to - "

"I'll stay here" Erthë cut in, rather hurriedly. "I want to swim some more... it's so hot still." There it was again, the nagging. Eat more, practice hard, do as I say, little dove... Even though Erthë just wanted to play in the cool shade as the days grew longer and hotter. Even now as she bobbed about in the forest pool the water felt lukewarm against her icy skin, soothing but without the chilly bite she really preferred.

"... Alright" Shadow sighed, giving the child a lingering look that was equal parts sad and knowing and scolding - it was rude to interrupt people when they were talking. "I won't be far. If anything happens... "

"I know. I'll scream as loud as I can and run away."
"Exactly. Don't stay there too long, or your feathers might rot... Love you, precious."

"Love you too mom... wait, really?" She stood up rather hastily and looked at her small wings in alarm. But the shadow mare just left with a mysterious laugh, ignoring the angry, worried glares of her daughter that stabbed her back until she had disappeared in the underbrush.

Muttering to herself, unable to completely shake off the threat as a lie, the filly slowly sunk back into the cool liquid. She would only stay a little longer then, float around and listen to the world and her own heartbeat. Everything sounded so funny when she dipped the head below the surface, muffled yet amplified at the same time. It was peaceful too, now that the splashing and laughing and instructions had died down. With the setting sun the shadows deepened and grew longer, fireflies emerged and began to dance across the rippling surface. She felt tired where she floated about, limbs heavy and aching - but it was a good pain, and it was such a treat to be able to close the eyes and just drift, bob about in the waves and let the thoughts drift.

Little did she reflect over how she might appear where she dozed, unmoving and limp in the pool with the curls spread about her like a pale halo. Like a ghost of ancient pasts, a spirit of children drowned and lost. If one believed in such things.

e r t h ë
in every lost soul the bones of a miracle
Image Credit

@Volterra

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
OH, MY EYES ARE SEEING RED
DOUBLE VISION FROM THE BLOOD WE'VE SHED

Adulthood.

It grips him; it hardens his muscles and sends shockwaves to his balls, it arches his thick neck and it bids his stout legs to prance, fractious. He is a colt no more; he is a man. His second birthday passed without remark, although his dragon fetched him a shiny stone as a gift. A thoughtful present from his mind-partner, and truthfully he hadn't thought the predatory, primitive red capable of such empathy.

But he knows the gift he really wants. Needs. A woman writhing beneath him, for him to bury himself inside and take, take, take. He'd thought his hormones were mind-controlling and powerful when he was a yearling, but now stallionhood grips him like a curse, his urges are ten times worse. He thinks of it all the time. The titan is angry at himself, at the petty, primal needs that engross him and control his mind. He is so in charge of his own body, so dominant over himself, that he is filled with inward self-loathing about his own cravings. This only adds to the fact he is a bundle of frustration and rage, with his eyes permanently narrowed and bright with anger at the world, his jaws twisted into a scowl.

Vérzés, joined as he is to the stallion's lustful mind, is also afflicted with the same hunger as his bonded. His need manifests itself in the form of hunting, and he spends his days viciously savaging any living creature that makes the mistake of wandering across his path. Blood permanently drips from his lethal jaws, flecks of meat hanging in strips from his teeth. The bonded pair are rage and manhood personified; it is only a matter of time before they snap completely and rip the ever living fuck out of some unfortunate creature.

The giant comes to the Deep Forest, a place that usually puts him at ease - this is where he found his dragon's egg, where he hatched, where he often blends into the shadows and preys upon deer and the like to practice his talents. Today, in his pissed-off, testosterone-fuelled mood, his spiritual home has no such effect on him. Being here in solitude only fuels his temper, and with a savage snarl he kicks out at the nearest tree, shattering it clean in two with his colossal hooves. The needless violence does little to sate his real appetite, and chips of bark bloody his hindlegs. Sweat coats him, and he smells of musk and man. He decides to find water; perhaps that will help cool him off.

Alas, the pool he finds is occupied. He sees a white filly, ducked beneath the water, her mane spread around her like angel wings. She is the brave little doll from the God fights, and she looks very, very dead. He snorts. Like he cares for the fate of a drowned child that isn't his own - but, he reasons, she may not be dead. One day she will grow into a fine mare, and then he may reap the benefits of saving her in her youth. The thought sends heat to his groin, but given that she is currently only a child and he isn't into that, he quickly smothers his urges.

With a resigned huff, the monstrous stallion pushes his way into the cool liquid. It laps against his sweat-doused undersides and cools the raging heat in his loins, granting him temporary relief from his own desires. With his face still twisted into a mask of fury, he ducks his head under the water and attempts to hook his scarred nose beneath her forelegs, to try and lift her up and out of the pond. "Get up, child," he growls, his voice pure manhood with guttural, sharp edges.

image credits

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Chan

The water has a way of carrying the sound of everything that goes on in the vicinity. It conveys the rumble and churn of the earth in a hushed melody, a murmur turned lullaby to the rhythm of a beating heart. In the cool, shimmering darkness exist another world, one where distant footsteps become war drums and thunder, where a snapping, crumbling tree is no more distinct than the rush of fish darting back and forth in the gloom.

She worries not, because the child is accustomed to the sounds of the forest. She know the deer and the elk, the moose and the fox and the hares, she has listened to bears rummaging in the dead of night and trembled to the hunting songs of the wolves. With her mother so close by she feels safe, sheltered in this submerged world of dreams, of near sleep, the trance-like state of relaxation not so easily broken.

Not until sudden, violent ripples and waves lap against her milky chassis and something plunges down much too close to her. With a start the child opened her eyes and saw that a black mountain had appeared in the pond, glistening with moisture and sweat and twitching muscle. A fraction of a second later something big and strong rises up from beneath her and hoists her into the air, squealing and flailing as water rushes away, expose her to the warm summer air and make droplets nearly freeze against her icy cold skin.

The world is a jumble of color, green and red and black and a flash of sunset scarlet.. then the flapping wings made her slide off the side of the big bad brute and she splashed down into the water again. Water rushed into her mouth, nose, into ears and eyes. Half blind and choking Erthë thrashed and flapped, panic already setting in because she can't breathe, can't see or hear, fear is wrapping around her like thorny vines...

A dainty clove scrape against the bottom of the pool, stirring up mud and leaves and all the hidden things that lurk at the bottom of forest ponds. Somehow managing to right herself the girl pushed herself up to the surface, coughing and hulking with water rushing, no longer sweet or soothing or safe, from mouth and from nose and from the heavy, heavy wings.

"Are you crazy!?" she half screamed, half sobbed as soon as she was able to say anything at all. "Why did you do that, are you trying to kill me!?"

She glared up at the fool of a stallion, the mountain, made of flesh and muscle but possessing nothing even remotely close to a brain, it seemed. He towered over her, twice as tall at least, but she was so angry and still reeling from the shock and fright that she didn't care that he really could pick her up and throw her wherever.

In the back of her mind something registered a familiarity about the bulky figure and the gruff growl of a voice, but she didn't really connect it to anything yet. Still very much considering to call for help, for her mother, for anyone to save her, this wasn't exactly the time for recollections of things she didn't want to think about anyway.

e r t h ë
Image Credit

@Volterra
@Random Event - GLL

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A

Well, she's alive. She's also an ungrateful little brat, and the stallion's ears slick back against his head with irritation. She coughs violently, spraying black ooze everywhere - ahh, the one thing going right for him in his lust-filled life at the moment is the fact that at least that god-awful black tar is gone from his face. With it has gone his batlike hearing and his snakelike smell, much to his delight. If he still had that painfully heightened sense of smell, he would be able to scent a mare in heat from miles away, which would only drive him to higher levels of need. If he still had his acute hearing, he would be deafened by the sound of his own blue balls swinging against his thighs.

She shrieks at him, and he blasts air out of his nostrils in anger. Water has splashed against his face and trickles down his white blaze in determined rivulets, whilst his eyes remain narrowed and full of fury. "Oh, the gratitude," he hisses, stomping one irritated hoof against the murk of debris at the bottom of the pond. He sidles backwards and out of the cool liquid, away from the apparently-not-drowning filly. "You looked like you were drowning. Next time, I'll just leave you to your watery grave, shall I?" His face is a picture of abject disgust as he huffs at her again, stomping his colossal frame onto the edge of the water and shaking the liquid from his pelt. It looks like his chances of getting into her pants when she's older have just lessened by a zillion.

Flat-eared and cantankerous, Volterra continues to glare at the white filly. Lashing out with her words is likely her reaction to fear of a watery death, but he doesn't have it in him to feel any pity for her with the mood he's in. "The fuck were you doing in there if you weren't drowning? Did your mother ever teach you not to float face-down in ponds inside predator-filled forests? What would you have done if a pack of wolves had marched in to eat you alive?" Perhaps it's wrong of him to fill a little girl's head with nightmares, but he'll be fucked if he cares. Her eternal thanks and promise of favours when she ages would have at least have lessened his foul mood, but as it is her sharp reaction has only increased his ire.

image credits

@Erthë

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Chan

She sloshed after him, heaving and plunging through the deep waters without any grace whatsoever. It was hard to be anything of the sort as he enraged her even further, with the snappy superior tone and the complete lack of apologies.

"I was not dead!" she snapped back, staggering once the weightlessness of the water receded and she had to carry her own weight. Not only was both curls and wings wet and heavy, her legs trembled visibly from shock and fatigue after having spent so long exerting herself. Holding a shouting match with someone twice her size really wasn't the best idea at the moment, but Erthë seemed oblivious to her diminutive stature and inferior age as she retorted. Feisty, like a small, wet kitten believing itself to be a lion.

"I was swimming. You know, bathing, you should try it sometime yourself!"

She was too young to appreciate the scent of musk in a stallion. To her, this brute only reeked, a mixture of sweat and rut that made the soft pink of her nose wrinkle in disgust. Pointedly stepping away from him so that he ended up leeward of herself she began shaking the water out of the wings, not even trying to keep the water from splashing in his direction. They looked nearly like grown up pegasi wings now. All the feathers had grown out already, the soft down only lingered on the underside and near the joint, and while they were still too small to carry her it wouldn't be long now until she could start gliding short distances. Her wings were her pride and joy, even more so than the pearly white horns that had begun to poke out of the thick curls, but even though she really tried to focus on adjusting the feathers and admiring the clean, white shimmer of them, it was hard when that oversized thug kept talking. How was she supposed to ignore him when he was that big?

"I'm not afraid of wolves" she lied, attempting a contemptuous snort - but had to grimace and wipe the nose clean as it resulted in nothing but an explosion of black slime. "Mom's not far away anyway, so if you do anything she will come and she will kick you until you apologize!"

Her faith in her mother was absolute. The black mare was the strongest, bravest and wisest horse she had ever met, and obviously there was no way this, this... But as she glared at the young draft, something about him caught her attention. Something black that sat lodged in his mane, made visible by the water that clumped the coarse hair together.

"You have a tooth!" the girl exclaimed, surprise taking over where anger had previously reigned. Not one to hide her actions Erthë stared from the glowing black fang to the one that rested against her own chest, shimmering and ominous against the white skin. Then her gaze turned back to the stallion and studied him more closely, taking in his size, the coloration and the big, thunderous hooves that had... had kicked... a bleeding white.. bear...

"You! I know you, you fought the Bear! And the Wolf too, didn't you! And there were... " She looked around, searching the trees with narrowed eyes, "Say, do you know a dragon? A red one, like these rocks?"

Recognition softened her expression. The contrast between the spitting rage and this sudden eager beam of a smile was quite startling. Erthë remembered that dragon, and the horse it had flown off to once the battle was over. It had been really pretty and had protected her as she gathered crystals on the orders of the Time god.

"Where is it? I never got to thank it for helping me."

e r t h ë
Image Credit

@Volterra

V O L T E R R A

She chases him, a feral puppy on his heels. It seems like only yesterday that he was as small as she, so innocent and unplagued by the wants of adulthood. Back then, all he'd had to worry about was which bit of grass to shit on and which to eat. How times have changed. I was not dead, she points out. "You don't say," he drawls. He thought he was above slanging matches with little girls, but apparently no, he's really, really not.

An insult to his scent is not honoured with a reply, but he remains standing tall and stiff with pinned ears and angry eyes. Fucking children. The only downside of his desire to breed is the fact that one of these little shitbags might be the result of his ardour and the heat in his loins. He's barely out of childhood himself, certainly not ready to be a father. If he does manage to procure a woman to take out his lusts upon, he will have to be careful to spill his seed well outside her body, so as not to accidentally conceive a mouthy little mini-me. Spending time with a foal is the biggest advert for abstinence that ever existed.

She maintains that she is not afraid of wolves, and the titan humours her by not objecting to her statement. She then threatens him with her mother, and his ears unfurl slightly with interest. Her mother... A fine-looking mare, no doubt, to create such a pretty little child. He feels desire rise again, and he's almost tempted to push the filly back into the water so her dam comes running...then he'd grab her out of the pond and act like the knightly saviour, and this mystery mother would tumble with open legs into his waiting embrace...A faraway expression drifts across the stallion's face, before he jerks himself back to the present. "Yes, I'm sure your mother will be positively furious at me for trying to save your life." Heaven friggin' forbid.

She catches sight of the wolf tooth that he keeps stashed in his mane, a memento of the last God battle. For her age, she'd fought admirably. Her luck must surely run out at some point, though - if there's any more God fights, she's due a serious injury with all the ankle-biting she does. Not that he'd wish that on her, of course, but it is an occupational hazard of being small in big fights. "I did," he rumbles, the memory bringing a dreamy look across his stern eyes. Ah, the sweet bliss of battle! Hell, if he can't find a mare maybe he should just wait for another battle and pull an Odë. At least that would give him some semblance of release.

A small smirk spreads slowly across his jaws as she asks if he knows a dragon. Her demeanour changes, from rage to dragon-happy bliss. He knows that feeling well, given that he had been a veritive dragon fanboy until he obtained his red. "He's a he, not an it. And I do know him, yes. Very well, actually." Oh, Vérrrrrrrrzés, he mentally beckons the crimson beast in a sing-song voice. Vérzés breaks through the canopy from where he's hunting in the distance, beating his wings and soaring at top speed towards the stallion and the filly. The light glints off his iridescent red scales as he swoops, circling Volterra once before landing in front of the filly. Both he and the black monolith remember the Bear battle, when Volterra had ordered him to guard the child whilst she collected crystals. Not out of any particular empathy, but because the Spark God had asked her to do it and therefore it had to be important.

"This is Vérzés." The ruby dragon arches his proud head and looks the filly directly in the eye, his gaze glimmering with macabre, draconic intelligence beneath his stern, horned brow. A small blossom of frost chills the air in front of him as he exhales through the nostrils at the end of his refined muzzle, tilting his skull slightly to scrutinise her more closely. With the blood of his last meal dripping from the corners of his mouth, he looks far from a friendly, benevolent saviour of children, yet his expression is not entirely unkind. He might be prone to being a vicious little bastard, but he does not direct his ire towards the children of his bonded's species unless ordered to.

image credits

@Erthë

Chan

He quips at her for threatening with Mother. It was childish, of course, but then again she was a child, and unashamed. Fearless too, because if she hadn't been so firm in her belief that the shadow mare would do everything easily and flawlessly, she would have been quite willing to try giving the big idiot a thrashing herself. It might be true that she could only nibble at his knees at best, but had he ever felt how painful kitten teeth could be?

The only thing preventing her from hissing something rude and inappropriate back was the turn of subject to the dragon. Being the child who had seen much magic already and whose father was bonded, the topic of companions was no great mystery to her. Barely teethed the first time she asked about the shape-shifting comrade that followed on Vadim's heels, she was disillusioned and jaded.

But, well. It was hard to get tired of dragons. Especially when she had never gotten a chance to see one up close. So when the big, glittering red burst through the canopy and sped across the clearing she squealed in delight, entranced by its feral grace like neither the brilliance of the sunset nor the dancing fireflies had accomplished before.

"He. Of course" she mumbled, bewitched and ticklish with nervous excitement. The dragon landed before her and she noted with a thrill of fright how big he was. She was slight in stature, and he was an impressive specimen. Not among the biggest, but still almost reaching her elbow. For a filly that was a lot of dragon.

It - he - breathed out. The wafting air that reached her was crisp and cool; the hybrid looked down and found that the grass had frosted over, like she hadn't seen in forever. Surprised but delighted she smiled happily at the dragon, bounding in playful bucks as the excitement became too much to contain.

"That felt nice!" the ice-child warbled sweetly. "Hi, Verzés. Thank you for helping me before, you were so brave!"

It was impossible to be angry when such an exquisite creature stood before her. Erthë felt her heart melt in the face of his beauty, forgiveness extended easily, generously to the bonded stallion as well.

"He's so pretty!" she sighed at the nameless stallion, the previous shock nearly forgotten. "Have you known each other long? What's it like to be bonded? Dad is too but I never understood how it actually works, and Vlasi isn't nearly as interesting as a dragon. I don't even know what she is, exactly..."

She frowned slightly at this. Vlasi was Vlasi, of course, but what the shapeshifter actually was remained a mystery.

e r t h ë
Image Credit

@Volterra

V O L T E R R A

She's positively giddy at the sight of a dragon, and it pleases him. Unfortunately for her, she will never be able to bond to one, unless she has some equine blood in her veins. Although the giant isn't racist, he does think equines are superior purely for the fact they can bond to dragons, the greatest of the companions. His dam's kitsune is feral enough in his own way, but in the stallion's opinion he lacks the sheer ominous presence of a dragon.

The filly enters a frenzy of bucks, and the red watches her with an impassive, sharp eye. If Volterra wasn't so worked up, he would likely offer a smile as well, but his face remains stony and impassive. She thanks him, and the red's draconic pride bids him to swell and preen, arching his powerful neck. The stallion feels like pointing out that the dragon only protected her at his bidding - without his instruction, Vérzés would have flown into battle alongside his bonded to ice the hell out of the Bear God. Being relegated to 'protect the little girl' duty had made the ruby beast bristle, but being thanked for his daring deeds certainly helps ease the pain. "He says you are welcome." It is an accurate, if rough, translation of the dragon's mental throb of smugness at receiving gratitude that rightly should have gone to his bonded.

Being described as pretty only increases Vérzés' inflating ego, and he croons audibly whilst releasing another blossom of frost. Volterra glares at him. Don't know what you're so smug about - a little girl thinks you're pretty. Pretty. Not ruggedly handsome, pretty. Flowers are pretty. Are you a flower? But the giant's mental jibes to his bonded fall on deaf ears, as the blood-dragon flares his mighty wings to bask in the filly's adoration some more. "'Pretty' still good word. Vol-ter never get good words. Vol-ter get 'stinky'. 'Stinky' not good word." The irascible stallion flattens his ears and wrinkles his nostrils, silently fuming that even his own mind-partner is lining up to shit-talk him. Their bond might be watertight, and they might gleefully be willing to kill or die for the other, but they are both young men, with tendencies for harsh banter.

It takes him a moment to realise that the filly is directing a deluge of questions towards him, not his dragon. Despite his foul mood, a smirk threatens to break through the iron-hard facade of his face, as her barrage reminds him so much of himself when he was her age. Dragon obsessed, eternally curious and hungry for knowledge. "We met when I was about your age. To be bonded is unlike anything you will have ever experienced. We share every emotion, every thought, every desire. Imagine a part of your soul, shaved off and placed inside the body of a sentient, intelligent creature. A creature who loves you unconditionally, who fights for you, kills for you, and would die for you. That, and more, is what it is to be bonded." Passionate? Yes, because the passion in his loins is second only to the passion for the sharer of his mind. They may bicker like children, but they are one.

She speaks of her sire, and Volterra cannot possibly know she talks of his uncle. She mentions a Vlasi, an unknown creature, but a quizzically raised brow is the beast's only sign of interest.

image credits

@Erthë

Chan

Listening with bated breath, the wide eyes and slack jaw spoke volumes of how impressed she was of the description. Though she hadn't entirely forgotten the previous shock and indignation, it was easy to be drawn in by the young stallion. He was, after all, very big, and unlike Rikyn he was actually being almost nice to her! Almost. At least he answered her questions, and if the tone was a bit imperious or his glances superior, it was forgotten in the presence of the dragon.

Attempting to measure her wingspan against the ruby-scaled creatures, Erthë sighed enviously. It wasn't fair that others had that kind of bond when she was only herself, just normal without anything interesting. She didn't even have proper magic! Mother said that her icy cold skin and fogging breath was magical, but what good was that in a pinch? No she wanted to have fire and explosions and make the earth rumble and heave under her feet!

Now that, that would be cool.

"Dunno about the fighting part but it sounds amazing" she said. "Wish I had a companion too - just like Vérzés!"  

Noticing the raised eyebrow she continues, eager to keep talking now that the conversation actually had started to go somewhere.

"Vlasi keep changing, see" she explained. "First she looks like a big dog with lots of heads and then she becomes a deer, and then she becomes something else, and I don't know what version is actually her. Father says he doesn't know either but I think that sounds weird. What do you think?"

e r t h ë
Image Credit

@Volterra

V O L T E R R A

Ah, yes, companion envy. He knows that feeling very well. Now he has his dragon, he cannot imagine coveting something ever again, but he knows he will. He's just greedy like that. "Perhaps one day you'll get one." Fuck knows why he's trying to reassure her, because he doesn't give a hairy rat's ass whether she gets a companion or not, but the words just slip away from his tongue like slime from a leaf. "Vol-ter going soft," comes the red's sing-song voice, and the stallion's ears flatten in irritation. The dragon simply continues to preen beneath the girl's gaze, expanding and cleaning each leathery wing. "Not a dragon, though, unless you have equine blood." And, given her wings and horn, that seems unlikely. She'll have to settle for a far inferior companion, like Mongrel.

Her description of a shape-shifting creature does sound intriguing, though. He racks his brains as to what it could possibly be, but his encyclopedic memory only refers to dragon facts. A creature who can turn from a many-headed dog to a deer...could it perhaps turn into a dragon, too? The behemoth knows not. "I have never heard of anything like that before. Companions cannot usually switch between forms - it must be a rare and unusual sort of creature." He looks towards Vérzés. I bet you transform into a fluffy little bunny, don't you? At least, you're acting like one. His mental banter is a sharp arrow into the ruby blood-dragon's mind, but Vérzés studiously ignores him and continues to display every inch of his magnificent, glistening anatomy.

He's quiet for a moment. Jesus, why he is even still here, trying to make conversation with a kid? But it's not like he has anything better to do. Unless the heady aroma of a mare wanders past for him to pursue, he's better off occupying his mind for as long as possible here, because talking with this filly has meant he hasn't thought about his ten-tonne balls for approximately four and a half minutes. That's a damn record for him. It's far healthier than attacking inanimate objects or trying to work out how the hell Ode had managed to relieve himself, so he could copy. "When I got you out of the water before, you felt like a chunk of ice to the touch. You dead inside or something?" He turns his grumpy gaze on her, finally deciding that yes, talking with her is far preferable to wandering around, alone and horny as hell. At least she is occupying his mind for a precious few minutes.

image credits

@Erthë

Chan

While listening to the musings of the older boy she resumed the preening of the damp wings, velvety lips smoothing out and adjusting feather after feather with rather astonishing patience. By the time he finished and she hummed in thoughtful agreement only one of the small wings was done. Folding the shimmering pale appendage neatly against the shoulder Erthë made to continue with the other side, but looked up from the rather tedious task when she was posed a question.

This surprised her more than the question in itself. Though the exchange about companions had been almost pleasant and closely resembled a civilized conversation, the big stallion didn't strike her as the kind to play or chat. Of course her only real example to compare with was Rikyn and he had been far from pleasant, more interested in the older mare than in the pale, sniveling girl. This encounter hadn't exactly started off well either, but if it continued like this then Erthë feared she was in high danger of actually starting to like this idiot.

"I don't think so" she replied, frowning slightly as she looked down over herself. Drops of water had frozen upon contact with the cold body and made her coat glitter like snow in the light of the drifting fireflies. Though the evening was warm her breath fogged as it left the lungs, a fine mist that drifted off among the trees and dissolved in the air.

Was he right? Was she dead on the inside, and that was why she felt so cold? But if she was dead, then how could she feel so much? Love and happiness and fear and anger, pain and ticklishness and heat... Did the dead feel all that too?

"I was born like this. Mum says it's magic, but it doesn't really do anything. I can't make anything else cold, or do anything magical... Do I look dead?"

Because she didn't feel dead. True, her left eye was a bit freaky, all pale and staring and different in color from the right, and she had the black ooze leaking from both eyes and nose and mouth... But aside from that she felt fine. There was nothing wrong with neither body nor head, from what she could tell.

She gazed back at him, expression betraying the worry but also the frustration over being so boringly normal. Magic was supposed to be flashy and interesting, not just... passive and unmoving. What was even the fun in that?

e r t h ë
Image Credit

@Volterra

V O L T E R R A

She grooms her wings, and he thinks back to a few days after his birth when he met Auriel. She had been a hybrid mix of unicorn and pegasus, and her wings had been an object of great envy to the wobbly-legged young colt. Not anymore; they're pretty enough, but he is accustomed to remaining with all four stout legs firmly on the ground, save for when he throws his consciousness into his dragon to take to the wing in the red's mind. He does, however, think that Auriel is bound to be grown up and hot as hell now. Maybe he should seek her out...

I don't think so. He bites back a comment about how dim you need to be to not know whether you're dead or not. He glances at the droplets of water, frozen to her frigid skin. She then asks if she looks dead, and he looks her over quickly. "Nah. The dead are a lot less mouthy." Despite the barb, there's no real venom in his voice - it's a lazy, throwaway comment, like the sort of boyish remark he would make to his dragon. Whether she takes it seriously or not will say a lot about her. He can sympathise with her hatred of normality, though. Oh, how he'd envied Shida and Auriel, with their wings and horns and magic when he'd been a simple equine colt without powers or dragon! He decides to reassure her a little bit that she will grow out of her self-hatred.

"You never know. You might have magic inside you that you just haven't discovered yet." He'd thought he was magic-free and boring, until one day he wasn't. To prove his point, he fixes his gaze on the ground under Vérzés and bids it to lift into a small tower. The red squawks in surprise as he is lifted into the air upon a plateau of stone, but quickly realises what's happening and relaxes back onto his haunches. Volterra slows the flow of magic when his dragon has been lifted up higher than his own height, leaving the ruby beast perched atop a great tower of ground. "This lay dormant in me until one day it didn't." How helpful is he - reassuring her (slightly) and getting an opportunity to show off, too.

image credits

Chan

He was snarky, she was cheeky; put together they made a recipe for disaster, but strangely enough it seemed the big stallion and the small filly actually got along quite well. Whether it was due to her being less naive than most girls her age or to some lingering childishness on his part didn't matter. The important thing was that Erthë felt relatively relaxed in his presence, enough so that she poked out her tongue at him over the offhanded insult. Then she giggled at her own bravery and the feeling of relief.

"Good to know" she said airily.

No, she probably weren't dead, it felt silly to have fretted about it even for a second, but then again she couldn't be entirely sure either, could she?  

The earth began to rumble under her feet and with a startled look the filly jumped backwards as the ground changed shape. Gaping she 'ooh'd at the stone pillar, exhilaration and envy bubbling inside her as she looked from the dragon to the magical structure and back to the young stallion.

"Oh I hope it will happen to me too" she groaned. "That's so cool."

She could have questioned him for the rest of the night, and probably would have too. But before she had a chance, Erthë heard her mother's voice call, distant but distinctly annoyed. The little hybrid girl sighed and gave the black brute an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, I gotta go. Thank you for trying to save me" even though it wasn't necessary. "Bye bye, see you around!"

And she skipped off into the forest. It wasn't until she had already rejoined her mother that she remembered - she'd forgotten to ask his name.

e r t h ë
Image Credit

Erthë out! <33