the Rift

[OPEN] Chasing Ghosts Of Our Future.

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

:: Arah ::

It seemed that she'd missed a lot, the world was different - the shift in the atmosphere was drastic and Helovia felt different to her. After the changes in The Basin her hooves had started moving and her brain went blank and she'd simply continued to exist. Adrift, lonely and numb. The doe had never felt so lost, her life was a mess and now she wasn't sure what she wanted anymore. Now she felt like the odd one out. Alone and dissipated, sucked dry by the anger that had burned it's way through her followed by the shame. 

Perhaps she'd always been far too fragile, doubted herself too much and now she doubted her purpose for being here. Did she want to return to The Basin? Yes...no. How could she walk away from the one herd that she'd always been apart of? Yet, what was the point in staying? To be ruled over two she neither respected or trusted - to return to the place of her greatest shame. The thought that change would be good for her could not be shaken from her mind, it lingered in the back of her mind. A black cloud that clouded her mind from all other logical thoughts. 

Before she could return to her normal self a decision would have to be made. 

So here she was, vulnerable and completely exposed to the elements and anyway one who happened to come upon her. Blinking for a moment she came too, recognising the frozen wasteland that was her home. Had she become just like this unforgiving land? Frozen solid, an icy fortress that was only beautiful to look at, never to be held or trusted with one's life? Holding strong within her fortress her orbs swept over the frozen home one last time and then she turned her back on it. With each step she felt the walls around her grown hardier, the light between her golden orbs faded as she continued to move through the landscape, unthinking unfeeling. 

Not even Wynter could break through her frozen walls and reach her. 

Thunder crashed overhead and the heavens opened up, weeks of traveling dirt and grit washed off of her body in dark black and brown rivers. While her hair finally began untangle as the sticks and leaves and clumps of dried muck, returning to it's once silky state. Her face betrayed nothing as she dragged her exhausted body through the land, her belongings strapped to her side. 

While she could not say how she came here or why for some reason it felt right. This had been the home of The Basin's herd before they'd lost it, this was where she would have lived all these years if they had remained. Perhaps The Edge would be able to offer her more and in turn she liked to think her services would be better received. Now she would not serve Deimos and refused to bow to Thranduil and Hotaru but perhaps the new rulers of this land would be the true leaders she'd been looking for. Perhaps here would she be able to finally to relax and feel safe. 

Belongings crashed to the floor and before long she moved towards a tree and collapsed against it, using it to support her weight. Rain still drizzled around her cleaning off the last specs of dirt, the cool water felt soothing against her burning flesh. Wynter soared in landing beside her, worry lurking in her golden speckled eyes. The doe smiled before she closed her eyes listened to the sounds of the World's Edge wondering if she would be found or if in time she'd simply blend and become one with the earth. 

@[Ophelia] - Been a long time since I wrote a post so I'm still getting into the swing of things ;D 
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
Rain poured down, blanketing the world in a gray drizzle that pummeled the fog into the ground. Tendrils of it swirled about his home, trying to dodge the rain, trying to stay alive—it seemed almost alive, like a writhing beast, claws and fangs snapping at its enemy.

Or lover—the world didn't have to be such a dark and cruel place. What was wrong with a few hugs every once in a while? A playful embrace? Stars knew Mauja had gone from distant and detached to nearly attached to Tembovu's hip, leaning into the sturdy stallion whenever they were more or less alone. There was something comforting in having found someone larger than himself, someone whose shadow he could hide in, someone whose pulse was steadfast as it echoed into him.

But the struggle between rain and fog seemed more like just that—a struggle, and not a passionate dance. Ghost-hands wove through the rain drops, beckoning, and the steady tinkling of the downpour striking leaves turned into a whisper. Come, it seemed to say, come closer, follow, and with nothing better to do, he followed.

Follow, follow, follow...

Thunder roared. Lightning struck, flashes of supernatural white lighting up the muted world before letting it fade back into a deeper darkness, and Mauja wandered slowly through the Edge. The rain simply whispered follow, nothing of haste, and with the owls lurking in some tree—because they were not going to fly in this without good reason—he was blind to his true goal.

Besides, it was the closest to peaceful he had felt in a while. The battles with these Rift Gods, and the illnesses, had torn every last shred of tranquility and sanity from his mind and left him angry, and bleak; washed out. Death was a terrible and final thing. Death was no place for little girls of just four-five years.

The trees grew a little thinner, the last of the fog vanquished by the rain; he paused where he was, listening to the beckoning song of the rain (follow, follow, follow...), and turned to peer over his shoulder. A few tendrils of mist danced behind him, waving and flickering like fire, seeming to urge him on. He shrugged, and went on. What else did he have to do, but follow the playful imaginations of his mind?

A flash of lightning lit up something white collapsed against a tree—fragile and slender, pale as a ghost. Long, silken hair spread out like a halo on the ground, a pool of angel's blood—

He rocked back in the flash of light, startled, but with the darkness he realized what it was: a horse, fallen to the ground with a tree against her shoulder. A gryphon sat beside it, golden eyes vigilant. Fallen, but not alone, then. Guarded still. Slowly, with his head low, Mauja drew nearer. Another flash lit up the scene, making her perfect white, like something out of a nightmare, or a fairytale; something not quite real.

But she was real. Oh, she was real, real enough, a ghost of his past; soft and velvet, with fire in her heart. But she was thinner now, washed clean by the hammering rain—but still so familiar, from the point of her plush muzzle to the still mud-stained tips of her too-long tail.

"Arah," he said, quietly, gently, concern lacing his light voice. If not for the steady rise and fall of her sides, he would've thought she'd come here simply to die.

[ @Arah ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

In his home of vast and dry plains, the rain was something to rejoice in. When the great rains came, the earth greened and preened herself; a plumage of new feathers abounding from her moistened soils. Life leapt from the very ground, as frogs awoke from their dirt-bound slumbers, arising from the rich and red mud. Rivers and lakes sprouted to life, gleaming beneath a sky full of branching heat lightning. It was glorious, and perhaps the one thing he missed of Dorobo.

For rain here, which fell in cold and never-ending sheets, did nothing for the already-green earth and already-soaked soil. No, this rain drowned the plants and left muddy trails in its wake. And it was not warm, like the balmy drops of Dorobo. It ran in rivulets over his massive body, eking out his heat with each dribble. The lightning here— it was nothing like the illuminating streaks of the plains that spread and branched across the sky, never touching earth. The lightning here struck at the earth with each booming crack, like electrical spears trying to catch the world on fire.

Plagued with this alien sense of homesickness, he plodded along the borderlands. It was strange, meandering the trees without their mists; yet the trunks were still shrouded with rain. He walked his endless pace to generate some kind of warmth in his muscles— to keep the chill at bay. His mind floated in the ethereal woods, thoughts as nebulous as his murky surroundings while his body automatically wound his great bulk through the trees.

Suddenly he found his hoof hanging in midair, thick column of a leg arrested mid-step. His ears flicked forward, mind grappling at its indistinct web, attempting to figure out why his autopilot leg had malfunctioned.

But it hadn't malfunctioned, he slowly realized as his eyes focused. There was a mass of white, wet strands beneath his hoof. Strands that were a tail. A tail attached to an antlered, slender equine body. Dark blue eyes slowly traced up to the collapsed mare’s face, his rain-numbed mind returning to the present with a jerk.

Gently, he replaces his large hoof (carefully not on the generously flowing locks of the mare). Though his gaze could not leave her face— she was beautiful. Collapsed, exhausted, thin, but still striking. Her pale coat stood out against the shadows and glowed with each damning lightning strike. At another strike of light, his cobalt gaze found the griffon standing watch over the mare. At another, he found Mauja standing opposite her, saying what he assumed to be her name (Arah?).

His perked, cream ears barely heard his spotted friend’s voice, though he could hear the undercurrents of concern. In that, the elephant wholeheartedly agreed, for her slender frame leaned so heavily against the tree. And her belongings were strew haphazardly about her. He nodded once to his leopard friend, meeting his eyes with his own concerned ones, before dropping his attention to the elegantly antlered mare, “Are you—” He stops himself from asking the idiotic question— because it is clear to him that she is not alright. Instead, his low voice rumbles through the rain, “What brings such a beautiful woman to the Edge in this weather?”
image credits
- table by Niki -

I wasn't sure at what point in the timeline this is, so I left it open.

Please tag Tembovu.

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

:: Arah ::

A voice.
Wynter trying to rouse her.
Blackness clung to her mind but she forced it away.

Two golden orbs blinked up at the King that peered down at her. Mauja. Despite everything that had happened; the feeling she'd betrayed others by leaving, that she wouldn't be welcome here and that this could very well be her resting place, a warmth filled her chest. The doe believed that the frozen legend would understand. He would understand and accept why she left and why she had come to him. After all, he'd also left The Basin, traveled around and found a new home. Arah only wished to do the same. Only wished to forget what many would see as betrayal and move on with her life. 

Stop trying to crawl out of the skin she was in. 

Only was he real? Or was her mind hallucinating in order to comfort her in these last moments? "Mauja?" Her voice rasped, eyes blinking up at the stallion. There was a mixture of doubt and joy in her tones, wanting it so desperately to be real. "Is it really you?" Wynter was eagerly trying to assure her mistress that it was real. He was here for her, for a while she was safe from other eyes. Eyes that sought to destroy her. For a while she was silent, staring up at the white stallion, wanting him to assure her that it would be alright. In the end, she would be alright.  

The rain still fell in heavy sheets but it was another noise made her ears prick. Another large stallion approached them looking down upon her with concern, she returned his gaze for a moment. Inspecting his patterned coat, his kind eyes, dark hair and a brilliant horn, the doe was impressed not only by his statue but by his tender voice. This stallion was larger than possibly anyone she'd met before. Already a smaller mare, when rightened she would still be absolutely dwarfed by his humongous size. Strength, prowess and kindness radiated from him. Then Arah followed his gaze, inspecting her own coat and body. Weak, exhausted but clean. Washed away of her previous troubles, today she would begin again. Arah wanted to survive, she wanted to heal and regain her honour. Only The Basin did not seem like her home anymore, so she was chasing the ghosts, hoping they would lead her into a brighter future.

Turning back to the stallions, the doe offered a half apologetic smile. The other half? Perhaps dry humour. What was she doing here? The doe continued to study the larger stallion through strands of dripping hair, she wondered about him, who was he? How much sway would his words have? Yet in his and Mauja's presence she felt safe; also happy that she'd left the spiderweb that was The Basin's hierarchy of betrayal. "Unfortunately the weather has little to do with it." The mare croaked, eyes dancing between the two. Despite not knowing the larger stallion she was speaking to him just as much as Mauja. "I've left The Basin, they...he named Thranduil lead." Shaking her head and swallowing back her anger, Arah continued with a little more spark. "I couldn't follow them anymore, I...I...Mauja, I can't do it." With a sigh she paused to glance at Wynter, the companion that she had to keep safe. She'd failed her daughters, failed her herd but she had not yet failed the griffin. "Please." Golden orbs returned to the stallions. "Please help me, let me join The Edge." The doe knew it would be no walk in the park, she'd spied for The Basin, worked with them for years. Whereas The Edge was a peaceful land, it did not deserve the burden of carrying her past sins. Perhaps they would not accept her because of her past transgressions.  
She would not spy for The Edge, she saw this as repaying a debt to the years The Basin had been for family. For now her place within this new homeland (if they accepted her) would be simply rebuilding herself. 

Eyes darting between the two she tried and failed to muster some dignity. "Please." Begging, was all she been reduced to  an empty, poor, broken beggar of a shell? Perhaps that was no more than she deserved. Golden eyes turned up and she watched the rain fall, giving them any time they needed to deliberate the situation. Would they trust her? Would they give her this chance to heal? 

@Mauja
@Tembovu
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
[ The thread takes place between Halcyon Flats and Riptide Isles. So Mau's still Queen. ^^ ]

Was anything ever real? Life was but fragments and pieces, an incoherent whole made structured only by thoughts and beliefs, defined by actions interpreted through the lens of someone else—never perceived as they had been intended, because there was no universal truth, no singular unit of measurement to compare the world to. There was nothing in it that made sense, except when some mortally-decided-on rules were applied to the structure-less chaos. And so, things were only real if one believed in them, for the only real things were the ones that were believed in.

"Mauja? Is it really you?" She sounded so small, so broken, lying in the pelting rain which drove its way through the layers of oil and fat in her coat towards her skin—a delicate creature fallen from some divine height, tumbled down from her perch of grace and pride. What had happened to her, what had reduced her to this ghost hunting another ghost? What had the world come to, if he had become someone's savior—the fixture in their mind, in their compass, the brightly burning guiding star upon their dark horizons? He felt unfit to save anyone.

"It is," he rumbled warmly, closing the last distance between them. She was sodden and cold, and—his gaze flashed upwards from his lowered head as another blast of white light played tricks on his senses. Except—no, it was not a trick, it hadn't just been a shadow, there was someone standing there so dangerously close—

But then their eyes met in the rain-drenched darkness, and it was just Tembovu who stood there with concern in his shaded eyes.

"It's really me," he breathed, unsure of what he had meant to say earlier, if anything at all; gently, his sturdy legs bent, and he lowered himself to the sodden earth, wriggling as close to her as he could while Tembovu asked what she was doing here. At least, that was what Mauja supposed he asked, because there came out all sorts of strange words like beautiful and woman (—and somewhere, another stab of envy—) and not for the first time, he wondered at this peculiar habit to comment on everybody's appearance. Did it matter whether those who came here were beautiful or not? Male or female? It felt so irrelevant and at the same time, it niggled at all of his memories, sent something up his spine that felt like cold dread, an understanding he could not grasp but nearly had in his hand anyway. Disturbed, he turned away from those thoughts to listen to Arah.

"I've left The Basin, they...he named Thranduil lead."

He? Mauja supposed that was either Deimos or Asni. However .. Thranduil was an unknown name to him, or if he had heard it (which he might've, who knows?) it hadn't stuck. "I couldn't follow them anymore, I...I...Mauja, I can't do it." Breaking up with your life was never easy—there was always the good and the bad, and you missed the good but sort of forgot the bad. "Hush," he murmured, leaning in closer, trying to embrace her with his thick neck and what warmth he possessed, for she seemed to need it and also seemed disinclined to get off the ground. "It's alright, it'll be alright.. don't worry."

But lord she had to really dislike this Thranduil person, because while Arah had never struck Mauja as terribly arrogant or haughty, she had always had a certain kind of pride—she had always been well-groomed, pristine, dutiful, loyal, and yet here she laid broken in the rain and begged to be taken into the shelter of the Edge. Concern as much as surprise drove Mauja's 'brows upwards. One ghost walks out, another comes in while the door's still open—

"Should I be insulted you seem to think it necessary to plead with me to let you in?" he asked her dryly, a small smile playing on his lips like it could somehow be the tinder for a fire there in the cold, wet darkness. "Of course you're welcome here." And he reached over to nuzzle at her forelock, half of him feeling light and warm, and the other half—empty. They all had their ghosts haunting them, and she brought with her the memory of silver moonlight upon snow, the northern lights, and a time spent in the same herd as the Red Doctor—a time which had never repeated itself since, and never would.

And that hurt.

"Welcome home, Arah. You're safe now. This is Tembovu—" and he motioned up toward the giant, "—and we'll keep you safe. Now sleep. Everything is going to be alright."

But in truth, he wanted to lull himself to sleep as much as her, and he was glad the rain camouflaged the soft tears he shed.

[ @Arah || Maybe let it fade to black here/this round? Very old thread yes... ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

His ears twitched as the soft begging fell from beautiful lips, and he quietly felt a gentle simmer of anger towards whomever this ‘Thranduil’ was that would drive such a lovely creature to such depths of misery and desperation. Pursing his lips, he turned his eyes to Mauja— for it was truly his King’s decision to allow the mare to join the Edge, though he was certain that there would be no question.

Indeed, the leopard king assured the pale, antlered mare that she was at home amongst the Edge. He watched his lead lower himself gently behind the mare, and felt a surprising flare of envy spark without warning. Though he kept such a response hidden beneath his concerned face, he inwardly frowned at himself— the thin mare needed the body heat of another in this damnably cold rain. And it was best to come from someone she knew, someone of comfort (or so he forcibly told himself).

He nodded his great head deeply as Mauja introduced himself, a lopsided smile crossed his face towards Arah. He watched his King closely, wondering why such poignant sadness crossed his face for the antlered mare, before looking around them. “I am happy to stand watch while you rest,” his low voice rumbled above the crack and boom of thunder. Again, ethereal lightning lit the sky, illuminating the sincerity on the giant’s face. He was happy to provide some sort of service to the pale woman. Though he may not be the one laying beside her, his large body was good for warning away trouble.

ooc| Sorry it's so short. I’m happy to let this fade to black, too! @Arah
image credits
- table by Niki -

Please tag Tembovu.