hold fast to the best of you

Riel Posts: 15
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2hh :: 5 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
LovellaTorendo

in the golden lightning of the sunken sun
o'er which clouds are bright'ning thou dost float and run
like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun

A star studded sky stretches above the forest canopy of the Helovian Threshold.  The full moon shines down drawing a flash of gold from among the tree trunks towards the far southern edge of the wood.  Even in the dark it is difficult for this stranger to remain unseen.  She attempts it all the same keeping herself tucked close against a large spreading oak.  Her great wings fold and press against her side for they are of no use in such close confines.  The steady gaze of her winter-gray eyes is fixed on a spot beyond the tree line as if she is building up the courage to go somewhere.  The seconds turn to minutes, the minutes to hours and still she makes no move.

I followed the sun through the unknown lands the storm left me in.  My family had to be out there somewhere, they just had to be.  Dead end after dead end and now I have come full circle, right back to where I began.  It is two years later and I have spent those two long years alone.  I will not give up hope, some day if it is meant to be, I will find the loved ones I lost.  It is not in my makeup to remain happily alone for so long however.  There is no question of me continuing in this manner any longer.  So I turned my hooves to the forested threshold, to the place where I was offered friendship and shelter.  Maybe that offer still stands.

The night deepens and darkens and the stranger’s eyes fall closed.  She rests peacefully, trusting to the shadows to keep the secret of her presence.  Even with all she has witnessed in her travels she is still naive enough to believe that any who come across her will mean her no harm.  Her luck has held so far, perhaps it will continue to...

the pale purple even melts around thy flight
like a star of Heaven in the broad daylight
thou art unseen, but yet I hear thy shrill delight
(Image Credits | table by Chan | quote from "to a skylark" by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

Helovia Hard Mode
(pixel by Chan | pixel base by BronzeHalo)
Actions: No killing | Tagging: Yes
Riel was designed, characterized and originally played by Chan

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
Najya
Oh, the desert dreams of a river that will run down to the sea, like my heart longs for an ocean to wash down over me.

The desert mare isn’t sure what drew her back to this place.  She had not breached the Threshold since she had first come to this place.  These trees marked both a beginning and an end to the little flaxen mare.  This was the place where she fulfilled her last promise to those she had left behind on the bloodstained sands so far from here, and this was the place where he life began anew – independent of all she knew.

She had floundered when she first came to these lands.  Having fled a place torn apart by war, she unexpectedly found herself embroiled in a regional conflict upon arriving in Helovia.  So she became a wanderer twice-over, nothing but a stranger in a strange land.  It wasn’t until recently until she had found her roots here  - a sanctuary, a herd that was already beginning to weave its way into her heart as she saw the bonds that held them all together. In a new desert, oddly enough.  But deep down, she knew it was no coindidence.  The desert always called her home.

Najya’s gaze lingered over the towering trees, just barely able to catch the pinpricks of light provided by the stars that pierced the canopy.  The Threshold had a different look about it at nightfall – it was peaceful, pleasant even.  However, Najya knew well the dangers that lurked here.  When she had come to these lands she had been unable to defend herself.  Now she didn’t hesitate to walk alone in the dark, there was no skittishness in her step.

There weren’t many entering these lands at this time of night, Najya wasn’t expecting to run into anyone. However, she was surprised when she saw a shimmer of gold against the dark trees.  Though the shape had immistakable wings, there was something familiar in the shape – something that reminded her of home – that compelled her to make her way over to the mare. “Hello?” Najya called softly, still a fair distance from the stranger - hoping not to startle her, “Are you alright?”

image credits || HTML by Reli

@Riel

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

LovellaTorendo

o
'er which clouds are bright'ning thou dost float and run
l
ike an unbodied joy whose race is just begun

We are in a meadow my friend and I.  The meadow is filled with sweet smelling flowers and tiny birds flit about through the tall grass.  One of the younger males in our herd challenged me to fly to the top of a nearby mountain and my friend is attempting to dissuade me.  Later I will regret shaking off his concern, if only because listening would have meant that we had more time together.

The woman’s slumber is deep and peaceful and the unconscious smile pulling at the corner of her lips suggests that her dreams are as gilded as her many feathers.  Small forest dwellers cast shadows upon her frame as they scramble about her chosen tree but, trustingly, she sleeps on.  Even the muffled sound of hooves crunching leaves does not disturb her.  A Helovian female approaches and speaks in comforting musical tones.  Again the golden stranger smiles then chuckles in her sleep. 

“Oh, you worry so!  It is kind, truly it is but you needn’t be so concerned my friend.  I will be fine, I am always fine...”

It is an answer that only partly suits the question she was asked, but not bad considering the fact that she is still asleep.  Approaching hooves and spoken words do not wake her but at long last a warm breath from the Helovian tickles her nose.  This does bestir her with a sudden, violent sneeze.     

My eyes are sandy as I attempt to blink them open and my hooves are unsteady beneath my frame.  Thank goodness for the tree!  I lean heavily upon it as I try to make sense of my surroundings and lack of balance.  Oh, yes, there was a butterfly and it tickled my nose and I sneezed and no, wait… the butterfly was a dream.  Why did I sneeze then?  Rapid blinking finally clears my eyes enough for them to stay open and I find myself gazing directly at an unknown mare.  That is unexpected.  How very rude of me, I hope she isn’t offended.  She is dressed in tones of earth and snow with a crown like decoration adorning her head, perhaps she is a queen?

The blue eyes of the winged maiden pop open at last and, with a small shout of surprise, she stumbles a few steps backward.  

“Um, oh, sorry… I didn’t expect… well, never mind.”

She dips her head in a hesitant and slightly exaggerated bow.  Clearly she is unsure what would be truly appropriate in this situation.  

“I am Riel your majesty, please forgive me if I have trespassed unwittingly.”

the pale purple even melts around thy flight
l
ike a star of Heaven in the broad daylight
t
hou art unseen, but yet I hear thy shrill delight
(Image Credits | table by Chan | quote from "to a skylark" by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

@Najya

Helovia Hard Mode

Najya
Oh, the desert dreams of a river that will run down to the sea, like my heart longs for an ocean to wash down over me.
Najya continued to move carefully, for there is something…strange in the way the winged mare responds to her inquiry.  There’s a sort of dreamy quality to the mare’s speech – she seems so lackadaisical and completely relaxed in the presence of a stranger in a strange place.  It caught the flaxen mare off-guard until she realized that the golden stranger’s eyes were still closed and that her breath came in the steady, peaceful rhythm unique to sleep.   She’s dreaming! the desert-mare thought to herself, while taking a half step back to give the stranger the room she deserved. But it was too late. The woman’s sapphire eyes flew open, accompanied by a sneeze that pulled her rudely from her slumber.
The poor woman reacted as anyone awoken by a strange face would, and Najya dips her head immediately to show that she is not a threat and partially out of the embarrassment for having awoken her.

“Oh no! Please don’t apologize!” Najya shook her head, sending the gold plates between her ears tinkling in the quiet of the night. ”I’m the one that should be offering apologies – I did not realize you were asleep.  I didn’t mean to startle you,” the flaxen mare murmured, sufficiently abashed.  She’d been foolish in assuming that the woman hadn’t been sleeping.  However, after seeing what she had seen over the past few weeks and months, it didn’t feel right to leave the golden woman without stopping and asking if all was well.

Najya was, however, caught off guard by the mare’s formality.  Not because it was something she had never heard before, because it was something she had.  Formalities, such as those that spilled so freely from the golden woman’s lips, had been once reserved for her life long ago – before she had come to Helovia a year prior.  Memories swirled to the surface of her mind – bringing with them all of the attached emotions.  The reverie caught her off guard, as did the rawness of the feelings that stirred from the depths of her mind.  She thought she was healing – that she was coping – but everything that stirred still felt as real as the day when she had stumbled through these very trees, seeking refuge beneath their branches.

”I am no queen, such formalities aren’t necessary,” the little mare said, with a smile, after pulling herself from her reverie.  She had been a queen once, but not anymore.  Perhaps she’d be able to share her story at a more appropriate time, but the dead of night hardly seemed like the appropriate time.  ”My name is Najya.  I live in the Dragon’s Throat – the southernmost herd in this land.  What’s your name?

@Riel IS THE CUTEST. 

Tried to have this up for you last night but my dad got stuck in Dallas and i spent 4 hours trying to rebook his flight and find him a hotel (neither of which happened) D:

Thank you!
pixel base

LovellaTorendo

o'er which clouds are bright'ning thou dost float and run
like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun

The Helovian is a lovely one, there is no mistaking that.  Her clean speckled coat shines in the stray shafts of moonlight and her eyes beneath the strange headdress offer a welcoming sparkle.  Riel’s reaction seems to have put her off slightly but she does not retreat, instead she presses on with a welcome.  Our golden stranger peers uncertainly up from her halfhearted bow.  For a moment she simply blinks in confusion but then appears to be somewhat comforted by the lady’s assurances that she has done nothing wrong by sleeping here.  She moves forward again, taking back the ground she initially retreated over, and brings her head to a normal level.  Of course she must still look up to meet the other’s eyes but this is a thing she is surely used to being of such a small, delicate stature.

Well, at least she is kind.  I have learned in recent years, though it took me a long time, that one can not always expect others to be kind or even polite.  It is not something I understand, but I have learned and do attempt to keep myself from getting in trouble by assuming that everyone I meet will be as nice to me as I plan to be to them.  Her soft words put me at ease though I do not entirely understand them.  If she is not a queen then what is the purpose of that decoration on her head?  What does it mean?  Does it signify some other power that I ought to be wary of? I shake off this cautionary thought deciding that even if she does have some dangerous power she is not intending to use it on me, at least not right now.

“Well, you look like a queen lady Najya.  I am Riel by the way.”

A shy smile creeps across her features as the compliment leaves her mouth.  The last words from Najya cause her ears to perk up.

“Really?  You are from the south?  Oh, what luck! Do you know Ampere?” 

the pale purple even melts around thy flight
like a star of Heaven in the broad daylight
thou art unseen, but yet I hear thy shrill delight

Thanks! No worries, Najya is fun - I don't mind waiting.  

@Najya

Helovia Hard Mode

Najya

“Well,” the flaxen mare begins, hoping to assuage some of the golden’s curiosity. “It was given to me by a king in my old home far from here,” she said, with a small shake of her head, again causing the disks to clink together in the night.   "But I suppose that’s a story for another time, yes?” she said, with a small laugh.   “It’s good to meet you, Riel,” Najya offered, sincerely, with a smile.  The flaxen mare was pleased to have run into such a pleasant individual, especially in the middle of the night.  Needless to say, things could have unfolded in an entirely different manner had Riel been unimpressed with her midnight awakening from a stranger.

The flaxen mare was surprised by final words that leave Riel’s lips. “Ampere!” Najya repeats, pleased to hear a name she’s familiar with.  After the adventures – and misadventures – she’d been on since coming to this place, there were few names in Helovia that were truly familiar to her.  Thankfully, Ampere was one of the select few.  The mare spun of blue and lightning was one that Najya held in the highest esteem – and was the one who had granted her formal acceptance in to the Throat after Mesec had offered her sanctuary there.   “Yes.  I know her.  She’s still in the Throat, I saw her just before I came to the Threshold.  Najya had not been expecting to have a mutual acquaintance with this golden woman, but was pleased to have this connection in common with the pegasus.  

“I could take you back to the desert if you’d like – it’s certainly safer there than it is here.  The Throat is one of the safest places in Helovia right now, though I freely admit my own bias.  However, Helovia has grown recently – the Gods have brought forth new lands, but not without consequences, unfortunately.  Though we could certainly wait until first light to make the trip if you were interested.”  Najya was conscious of the fact that it was the dead of night, and her offer was a hasty one that Riel had every right to refuse. Though, deep down, she did hope that the golden mare would return to the desert – even if just for a visit. 

@Riel

Thank you!
pixel base