the Rift

I hate you.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
I don't know whether Mirage is going to hold more prisoners or not. So unless she says she's not going to keep you, I don't think you can post. :<

This is NOT the rallying thread. The rallying thread will be posted once I know if he has any free followers or not. :/ But this happens after it, if it happens at all. :P

Pain.

It defined his existence. He'd not been able to see a healer, as d'Artagnan was still stuck in the Throat and he had no way in hell to go rescue him right now. The charred skin on his hind end was warm, pulsing with painful infection, and the beginnings of a fever was spreading through his body. He could feel it haunting him, mocking his pitiful attempts at sleeping, setting a deep ache in his joints. Movements was pain. Living was pain. Pain and hate and fury blending into a mix until he knew neither up from down, only that everything hurt. His head hurt. His heart hurt. He swam in a sea of muddled thoughts and broken promises, broken trusts, broken emotions. He was broken. Well, no - not really. He just felt like dying anyway. Somewhere, deep in his heart, his spirit still raged, fetter to a stone. He had to get his life back into some semblance of order. Drag his aching thoughts together from where they lay scattered across half the universe. He needed to function. To live. To breathe.

But everything felt hollow.

Even the bond stretching to the owl felt weak and stupid in this pitiful world. Insignificant. It thrummed with empty worries and attempts to soothe, which fell short of the mark. The stupid, warm infection lay like a wall between him and everything. It would get worse before it got better. d'Artagnan was off somewhere in the sand and sun.

He hated that green bitch, Xira. She hadn't taken his Doctor but he hated her anyway.

Hated everyone.

Weak sunlight filtered in through the cave's mouth, splattering like blood on the walls. Was the day already over? He expelled a shivering, shaking breath, drawing his frosted hooves and leaden limbs closer to the oncoming dark. He was hiding here. Away from the world. Away from misery and joy. Away from food, stupidly enough. No food in winter anyway. Hiding with his tired shame and his battered body, its weakness. He still smelled of smoke and burnt hair, burnt flesh. It could've been worse, though - he could've been dead, though maybe it would be a blessing instead. To not feel. Not know. A talon in his scalp, and a humorless smirk. He was too tenuous - and too stupid - to give in to death.

Ice rubbed against his grimy shoulder, and he leaned heavily on the cave's rough wall. He was used to the heated hammering of pain in his body, of the weakness swimming in his blood. He dreamed of fire and screamed and woke up, alone with an owl. He spent his days in delirium or daydreams of vengeance and divinity, occasionally hobbling outside to browse for the hardy tundra vegetation hiding under the thin blanket of snow. A shadow of a grim smile drifted across his face like the last remnant of warmth from a dying sun, before fading into oblivion. His eyes closed, face lapping up the bloody rays.

He hated everything.
And still his burnt back throbbed.
Mauja Frosthjärta
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
[Image: winter_snow_by_ladyfey-d5g626q.png]

"You're injured." Tor sighed in disappointment at the awful sight of the unicorn. Awful, blistering wounds. The scent of charred flesh and a battered soul had drawn the healer, and she could not resist helping another. Her feathers brushed the soft, snow-laden ground. Weak sunlight, an remorseful and small apology for the bitter cold.

Tor's nostrils flared, drinking in the ice scent. How the ice smelt, she wasn't certain- the only way she knew was because she had been raised on the frozen tundra. That was why her hooves wandered most here at the Frostbreath Steppe, and why she had come across this sorry sight. Once-handsome, but marred by fire. A beautiful white Friesian, with the faintest scattering of black spots, with midnight feathers cloaking his mane and tail. A gorgeous, ice-blue horn rose from the stallion's forehead. Her eyes skimmed back to his burn; for all she knew, it might have been a wildfire in this crazy, wild, glorious land, or the anger of a dragon.

"I'm Tor. I am a healer. I can help you, if you will it." Of course, she had every intent on healing him, even if he protested. Well, if she did she could knock him over. It was too clear that he was weak. Then, knock him out with a hoof or not, she would heal him. Yes, she was rather heated about it. Political battle did not bother her; he may be a citizen of the Qian or one of the Plague that had come to light. Either way, her healing would be better than pain, she was certain.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: ???

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA                

Light lives in the darkness beauty lives in pain
In destruction we may lose ourselves

But still I will remain

Tinek had been assaulting her mind with images of the frozen tundra that lay north - her place of respite and solitary peace. She was anxious, heart pounding constantly. Paranoia now wracked her brain, and more and more, she was tempted to read the minds of others to make sure that no one else had stolen her identity. In all of her life despite all of the trauma and murderous intentions, she had never felt so violated. The worst was knowing that those two twins had misrepresented her to her sister! The damage they could have caused and did not was insurmountable. Ophelia counted herself as very lucky, but she would never again allow such a trespass upon her personage. The young mare was secretive and for a good reason; her mind was a tome, detailed and complete of her life. It was a veritable encyclopedia, unchanged with emotion and times, and that knowledge was power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, which is why Ophelia held back on her magic. She would not allow herself to become something terrible. Terrible, but powerful.

But no, she was content now with who she was. A void in her life that her sister could not fill was quickly remedied with Tinek, the rambunctious dragon. A worried dragon, plagued internally by his bonded's depressed thoughts and fear; he urged her back to the snow, interested in how her memories guided her frequently to the pristine white of the north. The infant dragon hoped that it would help, and he rode quietly between Ophelia's elegantly shaped, pale ears, purring. Every now and then, he would rub his scaled head on her neck, trying to reassure the conflicted female. He loved her, but he was too young to tell her those feelings in words that she would understand.

Almost the second her cloven hooves hit the snow, vitality renewed her spirit, and she made her way through the bitter, snowy cold to a cave nearby. The weak sun was fading, and shelter would be needed during the frostfall season. Her breath came in soft, puffs of white smoke, the crimson adornments of her form catching the setting light like crystals of blood. Such a violent contrast to the purity of her white coat. Two shadowy figures stood in the cave, and one smelled of death. Instantly, she grew concerned, her heart capable of such deep compassion, even for those she did not know. Tinek perked his head up and hummed warily, little claws grabbing hold of her forelock.

"Mauja..." she trailed, her chime-like voice bathed in soft concern. A mare stood by, a healer. She was beautiful and even tempered. Almost immediately, the dragon-bonded unicorn liked the stranger. The evidence was clear on his ink spotted figure in the form of green and flesh colored burns; the Edge had lost. Ophelia frowned and approached quickly, observing the wounds with apt, intelligent eyes of two different colors. She glanced back at Tor. "You are the healer... may I get you anything to help?" she asked. Tinek looked at the burns and growled a little, unhappy that someone his bonded liked was injured. He stirred helplessly between her ears. "Mauja, can I get you anything?" she asked.

BG | dragon | horse

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!
Ascended Helovian

Someone was coming. Pitiful that his owls had more braincells to rub together than he; her black beak clicked, sharp talons poking his sensitive skin again. A shadow fell across the red backdrop of the sky, and he blinked. Sluggish, but not stupid or sick enough to not react. It was more mental anyway. Depression can bring anyone to their knees when coupled with physical ill.

"No shit," he growled in response to her statement. You didn't need eyes to notice it. He smelled of it. She seemed disapproving, as if it was his fault he was stuck out here with a burnt back. Perhaps you could argue that it was, for not standing down, but wasn't it the Gods' fault for having put him on the throne in the first place? Irma clicked her beak again, a faint thread of disapproval stretching across their bond. Either she whispered, or she yelled. They had not found a middle ground for the intensity. Now she whispered, and he felt like scowling. Did everyone disapprove of him right now?

Instead he merely kept his attention on the drafty mare. Hornless. Of course. Everyone was either hornless or stupid. Or both. Irrational anger boiled inside of him, but he was in no position to argue - no position to fight. He could probably hold his own fairly, but there was no point in starting a quarrel. His gaze, so often like secretive glaciers but now just tired and sad, dropped to her feathered hooves. Healing. Part of him wanted to snarl and run her off and leave him to his misery. He had failed anyway. Failed to protect his home, his family. Or had he? Sighing, he rubbed his temple against the cave wall. He knew that only by acting like a spoiled, shamed child would he truly fail them. He was meant to be a King, to keep his head tall, but it was hard when his neck refused to lift it. It was hard to always be strong. To do everything right. To balance between right and wrong.

He'd been shoved, and he'd cut himself. Some part of him wanted to bask in the pain and the guilt, to prick the wound each time it began to heal just to watch his own blood flow. Stupid, really.
Perhaps he just wanted someone to notice him. Few looked at you with kind, concerned eyes, asked if you were alright, when you always had your head high and did your duties diligently. When you always masked your exhaustion with a smile, and promised that you were fine.
She said that she was Tor and a healer. He felt like bashing his head against the wall.

"Mauja..." It was a soft voice, obviously someone who knew him, or at least his name and his looks. It tugged at his memories, pulled at something in his heart, and he pushed his head off from the cave wall to get a better look at her. She was as he remembered her - pristine white, like newly fallen snow, accentuated with blood. Such a contrast, it made his stomach turn. Horses weren't made for war and bloodshed. He remembered the feeling of it sliding down his face, shuddered. Was the bridge of his nose still colored faintly of rust? Maybe.

Between her ears, a pose comically mirrored by his own owl, sat a dragon. A silver dragon.
What the? How?
"Ophelia," he said, not quite a growl. He was too tired to do anything but it. So you're a mix blood. But he had never been one to blame the offspring for the sins of their parents - she was innocent of whatever damned lust had conceived her. "You're a sight for sore eyes." Pain lanced his body as he slowly moved forth a couple of steps. His voice was rugged, raw, each motion a hammer falling upon him. Amazing, how used to pain one gets.

"You can get me a new backside," he told her flatly, yet there was something - a spark in his eyes, the briefest shadow of amusement. Then it went out, faded, lost in the roar of pain. His gaze settled on Tor.
He'd never been against using the hornless for his own gains.
Would she demand something in return?

"What can you do?"
Mauja Frosthjärta

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Another unicorn had appeared in the Arch. That was all she seemed to see nowadays. Unicorns. A grudge Tor didn't hold, despite the black unicorn (black within as well) Psyche's vulgar behavior towards her. This mare, Tor immediately liked as well. The mare reminded her distinctly of Paladin the Valiant. Perhaps they were related.

Mauja? The king fallen from his throne? The femme thought inwardly. None of your business to interrogate patients, fallen kings or wonderful angels. Tor immediately reprimanded herself. The handsome stallion growled softly, his words a scornful thing full of anger. The motherly soul sighed again inside at his rough words. A heart-broken, furious, ready-to-break stallion. Naturally.

"You are the healer... may I get you anything to help?" The mare's voices, a delicate, lovely chime, asks kindly. Slowly, Tor shakes her head. Her dark brown eyes, her trademark, close for a moment, imagining the slow process of what would happen naturally over time to heal Mauja. Again, the unicorn once-king says something, but the words are lost. With a deep inhale, Tor returns to herself, drifting away from her thoughts.

"What can you do?" It's Mauja's growling voice. What anger is held in it.

"I can reduce the burns to... possibly scarring, more likely just a much less deep wound. The scars, depending on your body, may fade over the years, or may remain. To heal such a bad wound fully without a blemish remaining, I'm sorry to say is impossible. I ask for nothing in return, Mauja. Just that should you ever come across me again, you would not do anything I've heard you've wanted to do. And to tell Psyche not to be an idiot." Tor's voice is a shade steelier, and she stares deep into his eyes. She wants the meaning clear.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA                

But still I will remain

Ophelia nodded to the mare, knowing that she would not be of any help to a healer. So, she moved more toward's Mauja's forehand so as not to get in the way. Mauja's voice was breaking at the seams in what she assumed was pain, and she grimaced sympathetically, listening to his attempt at humor. The grimace on her lips turned into an amused smile, raising a brow at his request for a new rear end. "I suppose this means that you are no longer an ass?" she asked in gentle humor, playful sparks, twinkling in her two different colored eyes. Ophelia watched as he moved, swiftly taking a few steps forward to keep him still, a gentle but stern expression painting her features. "You should keep still," she murmured softly, their proximity close now. The smell of decay from his haunches was strong, but her expression did not waver from concern.

Tor now offered to heal him for nothing more than a promise of good will, and Ophelia glanced at the tall, painted figure, pleased with her demeanor. Mauja had a well deserved, bad reputation, but Ophelia would not plague her soul with the burden of a grudge. Vengeance hurt the clothed as much as it injured the intended. Apparently, Tor had a run in with a mare named Psyche, and the name struck a chord. She hummed thoughtfully. "I know that name..." she whispered, more to herself. Her dual colored eyes closed as she recalled the name fall from her father's lips. "One of my father's sisters. She suffered abuse when she was younger by their father, I believe. I pity them," she replied, more to Tor than to Mauja, hoping that her explanation would shed some light on Psyche's apparent ill attitude.

Tinek quickly grew bored with the conversation and his bonded's emotions, so he reached out a clawed talon to the strange, puffy, white bird. A trill moved past his fangs, and he danced on Ophelia's head, flapping silver wings. He wanted to play, and this was the first other creature besides the four legged giants he had seen before. The silver's talons made grabbing motions at the owl, and Ophelia scowled, tossing her head once, sharply to get him to stop jumping on her head. Tinek cursed at her in his own way, a sharp, grunted bleat displaying his displeasure as he had to hang onto her forelock. "I am sorry about him," she said to Mauja, irritation written on her elegant features. "The child is a menace, but a kind menace."

BG | dragon | horse

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Ascended Helovian

A snort, probably intended to be laughter, died as a cough. Cheeky. Had she always been like that? Or only when he couldn't lash out? Only an ass until I get a new one, his mind hummed, but suddenly, to speak it seemed like too little for the effort. He just wanted to sleep. Living in this cave hadn't been a good idea. Permafrost. Little grass. Bah. He gave his head a ginger shake, trying to rattle his thoughts - his self - into order again. One moment he thought that he was alive and focused, the next he wondered if three years had passed. It wasn't ideal. Predators could come. But not now, though. Two mares instead. Mauja gritted his teeth, charcoal-tipped ears swiveling, without command, to drink in the soft sound of her voice. Keep still? Hah. If she'd been here, she'd not want to keep still when visitors came. Kept still all day anyway. His muzzle wrinkled slightly, whiskers sweeping through the air. That she, of her own free will, stood so close to him, when he smelled of death and old sweat and dried blood. The cut across his cannons had been first to heal, shallow as it was, a mere rift through the skin. He breathed in, prepared to protest, but exhaled it in a sigh again. "I suppose so," he grunted, quenching the desire to add something stupid about burns being an excellent condition for running away.

Then Tor replied to his question, and he gave another of his croaked barks of laughter. Easier to expel it in a single rush than shudder with it. Painful. Did she really think he cared about scars? That he was a vain creature, wishing to be perfect in his pristine snow coat? "My life is built on scars. What difference will a few more do?" In all honesty, he didn't care. Scars were scars. Some faded, some didn't. You lived. They told a tale - sometimes of failure, sometimes of battle. Besides, it was easier having scars on your skin than on your soul.

Psyche? She'd met Psyche? He snorted again, preparing to say something about Psyche always been stupid or not listening to him anyway, when Ophelia's dreamy voice cut in. "One of my father's sisters." Mauja nearly choked on the air, eyes widening for a moment. "Holy hell," he croaked before he could stop himself, the rusty gears of his mind spinning uncontrollably. Psyche was Ophelia's aunt? That made him some sort of uncle in law. His daughter was her cousin. He closed his eyes for a moment, frowning. Psyche and Giselle, taunting each other. Taunting Paladin. Calling him brother. Was Paladin Ophelia's and Ktulu's father? Vadim and Varath's? Black dun, red fringes. The spitting image of Ktulu. Varath and Ophelia looked a lot like each other. Vadim like a pale version of his father.

Damn.

He opened his eyes again, intending to stare at the draft healer, but the small silver dragon between Ophelia's ears was making a racket, grabbing towards Irma. The owl, unfazed, just retreated a single step down Mauja's aching nape, large talons clinging to his mane for balance. With eyes of pale blue, so oddly like the King's own, did she stare at the dragon-unicorn pair. Clearly she had no desire to play. "No worries," the King mumbled, dragging his attention back to the Healer. "I doubt Psyche will listen to me if I try to lecture her about manners. But fine," he muttered. "I won't hurt you, should I come across you again." Whether or not he'd stick to his word remained to be seen. After all, he had professed to have no interest in neither the Throat nor the Foothills, but had nurtured intentions of backstabbing them all along.
Mauja Frosthjärta

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Tor's exhale colored gray as it drifted upwards. Dark brown eyes closed in awful, deep remorse. She just requested Mauja to tell a unicorn, who had been abused in early years, that she was an idiot. Regret pained the tobiano. It explained much of... well. Everything. An abusive father. The femme could not wrestle with the foreign thought in her mind; all Tor's father had been was a caring sire, one who gifted her with everything that made Tor as she was now. Of course, Tor's dam had played her hand strongly as well. But still.

Mauja's cracked words muttered a low curse after Ophelia's voice quieted. Interesting. So it was true- Ophelia was a son of Paladin the Valiant. The King, no, the stallion, mumbled something about an agreement of sorts. Despite Tor's kindness and sorrow for this fallen King, she couldn't help but feel a spark of annoyance. Offering to help him, and nothing more than a few muttered, anger-laden words. Tor. He is in serious pain. Stop complaining about this-and-that. A firm reprimand. The shaman had always said to ignore the protests of the injured- they were often driven with pain and pride.

So she would.

"Hold still." Tor ordered firmly, taking his measly agreement in stride. Taking a couple of steps closer, she eyed the wounds. It was an awful mess, filled with charred flesh, blackened skin, soot around the peeling edges. The healer took in ten deep breaths, closing her eyes and focusing intently. There was a wall within her head, the barrier to healing. She imagined a beautiful crystal door, twining gold vines curving down the insides, willing it to appear in the solid white block. Slowly it shimmered to life, and the gates swung outwards. A flood of power crashed through her, jerking every sinew, every atom into life. Quickly, before it would fade, Tor focused the energy to Mauja's wound. It flipped through in fast-forward, the wound fading quickly, sealing up, until only a remainder of pink flesh covered what was once a festering injury.

The draft stumbled, nearly crashing into the wall. Knees bending under her, she slipped, crashing down onto her side, breathing labored. The healing process had been intense, and the energy had been completely sucked out of her. Snow frosted every feather, chilled her. Breathing rapidly, the mare fought to pull herself together, but she allowed herself to remain lying down. Hopefully the King would not suddenly attack her.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA                

But still I will remain

Ophelia smiled a little at his snort, pleased that he found her humor as amusing as she thought it had been. But, the brief moment of amusement was broken by a wheezing cough, and she frowned, quickly glancing at Tor to see if that was something that she thought was related to his decaying backside. She was glad that he stopped moving as she blocked his path, letting him know that moving forward may not be the most intelligent of ideas. He agreed. The croaked barks of laughter were harsh, and her pale, elegantly tipped ears turned to the side, blinking sadly when he mentioned that he was made of scars. Why should life be that way for a few? Still, he had chosen a more violent path than most.

Mauja's expression to her mentioning that her father and Psyche were related was very interesting. His icy blue eyes widened, and the words he muttered made it sound like he had some sort of dramatic revelation. The young mare furrowed her brows, the expression oddly innocent and childlike. "Because of my grandfather, the Crimson King of Dorngarrow, my father has many siblings, most of them aligned with your side. Giselle, I believe is among your ranks too. She is my aunt," Ophelia explained. "My family history is long, tragic, and dramatic, three descriptors I try to avoid." The mare's expression was flat an unbiased; the only member of her family who held her love and heart was Ktulu.

Ophelia smirked as the owl completely rejected Tinek, and she listened to him growl on top of her head before making a dramatic exit by flying from the cave. "Your owl hurt Tinek's feelings," she said with a chuckle, nodding respectfully to the brilliant looking creature with eyes so similar to Mauja's.

Innocently, the crimson and white mare believed Mauja when he promised not to hurt Tor in the future, and she was pleased by this promise that he gave. To her, he was rational and intelligent, regardless of any ill feelings he held toward 'trespassers' or other species. Ophelia should feel doubt in his words, but she considered him a friend; she trusted her friends. Tor told him to hold still, and Ophelia's gaze slid from Mauja's to his rear end, watching as the skin suddenly began to knit together. The smell of putrefaction slowly faded, but almost instantly after, the painted mare collapsed to the ground.

Ophelia's eyes widened with worry, and her cloven hooves carried her quickly to the mare's side, gently nudging her crest with her grey muzzle. "Tor, are you all right?" she asked with concern. "Do you want me to help you up?" Tor was tall, but so was Ophelia. Still, the white and crimson mare's figure was much more lithe and lean in comparison to Tor's draft-like form. The young mare looked to the ice king, forelock falling over her clear, blue eye. "Do you mind helping me?" she asked, knowing that she was too slender to help alone. "After, we can go to the shores and put some salt water on your leg wounds..." she replied, thinking to herself. Did she honestly want to go back to the beach? Ophelia had been in this situation before. Almost exactly, but her help had not been needed then, or wanted.

BG | dragon | horse

Ascended Helovian

Your side. Odd as it was, Mauja hated it when people told him of his side and their side - as if they knew anything at all about him. As if they knew about themselves. Still, he couldn't fault them for judging him based on what they saw... a cold King, willing to protect his own, taking it to the extreme at times: a herd of horned, no wing or bare forehead to be seen from horizon to horizon. Of course, those who didn't agree with that vision called it his side. Life wasn't ever that easy, though, but he didn't bother to say anything about it. When it came down to it, Giselle and Psyche were both racists, and that was what Ophelia had been saying. Apparently most of the others were too, and he didn't know whether to be glad or not. It sounded as if the Crimson King had pretty much beat it into the heads of his children to be that way - racism should never be forced upon you. You should find it within, a desire to be destined for greatness, to be part of something glorious with horns raised high towards the sky. There was no logic in racism, only passion.

It seemed that Irma's lack of desire to play upset the poor dragon, as he left them to their own devices. Mauja snorted, and Irma just clicked her beak once. She was, like most snowy owls, a solitary creature - other birds interested her not, nor did dragons, apparently. He doubted she would've been with him, if not for the strange bond stretching between them, a link unlike anything he had ever experienced before. He could feel her cold indifference in the face of having upset the dragon, as if winter itself sat perched on his shoulder. Then Tor was telling him to hold still, and despite every irrational, childish urge to throw a fit and run off, he did. Upon his head, Irma spun to watch what happened on his back, but the King himself just closed his eyes, begging his tired nerves to feel.

His flesh cooled, the fever of infection draining out of him much too quickly for his body to comprehend, but another sensation replaced it. He'd had enough scabs to know how much it could itch, enough chilled muscles to recognize the nearly painful sensation of it thawing; the same kind of irritating pain crept through him as his body reworked itself, sapping Tor of strength to fuel the quickened recovery. It felt weird, and his nerves kept pounding just out of habit. He didn't even detect when she stopped, only the sound of a body hitting the floor making his eyes snap open, head spinning around to give a blue eye clear view of the scene. Briefly he saw the tender, pink arch of his backside, the skin irregularly knotted and hairless, and then his gaze fell on the draft mare. She was more or less lying, piled up against the wall. Sprawled, as if someone had knocked her out. Ophelia quickly padded over to her, but Mauja hung back a moment longer. Had he been one who wanted to hide all evidence of his own weakness, he would've killed them both and run off. But he wasn't. Tor had no place in his future, but when it suited him, he followed the whims of his morals.

Movement brought shadows of pain to him still, a reflex response of how it had been for many days now - it'd take a few minutes before they realized he wasn't in pain anymore, he guessed. "My legs require no immediate attention," he said, something absent in his tone as he lowered his head to bump his muzzle against Tor's poll. He wasn't quite sure if he'd ever stood this close to Ophelia before - close enough to feel the heat radiate from the flat of her white shoulder, close enough that their heads nearly touched. If he flicked his tail, it'd brush against her hock and flank. Mauja blinked. It was a correct observation, he guessed, but wholly irrelevant, and so he wrenched it from his mind and focused on the downed mare. She seemed conscious at least, but utterly spent. And she was in an ice cave on a freakin' tundra. Great. "You'll be getting very cold," he stated, matter-of-factually. If she could get up and lock her knees, they could box her in and keep her warm - but if she couldn't get up, well, one of them - or both - would just have to try and curl up against her on the floor, which would require some motor skill. Horses were quite graceless on the ground.
Mauja Frosthjärta

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Cold. Frosted, midnight cold. It kissed her legs, ran a mother's hand over her muzzle. How she wanted to simply lie down and sleep. It would not do. Ophelia's voice murmured a question, and Tor opened her eyes, her dark brown eyes. There was concern in her voice. Ophelia was a kind mare. The mare's tired mind drifted, to simply hoping that she and Ophelia may become great friends one day. But the flame of friendship takes time to kindle. Precious, slow time. Wake up. Don't go to dreamland. In a couple of slow moments, the tobiano realized both unicorns were standing over- indeed, Mauja was nearly touching her poll, and his shoulder was very close to touching Ophelia's. Did they have something... going on between them? Maybe. Maybe not. Just like how she had nothing 'going on' with any horse. Suddenly, she found the idea that she had not loved anyone before. She had never wanted to carry a little foal, to lean on a stallion's shoulder, to gallop with a foal at her heels and a noble husband at her shoulders. Why? What is love? Are there different kinds of love? Why had she hated before, but never loved? Why were species racist? Why did Mirage win? Who was Mirage? Did she deserve to win? But Mauja... Mauja had earned himself a bad rep. But did he deserve to be thrown from his throne, outcasted? Stop asking politic questions, Tor. You said you would never do that.

"Thank you. I simply need to rest. In a couple of minutes, most of my energy will have returned." Tor murmured. For another minute, she remained, but the cold was growing strong and restless in her. With a mighty heave of her great body, she rolled onto her belly, and scrambled up, hind legs searching for purchase on the slippery stone floor. She almost stumbled, but she stood. Although she didn't allow to show it through her body, exhaustion flooded her with another powerful wave, grasping at her muscles, pulling down at her suddenly lead-heavy legs. Snow dusted her pelt, only her left side, awkwardly enough. "So, do we depart? You must have a rebellion to start, Mauja. " Tor gave a low chuckle. Like she said, she didn't care about politics- as long as Mauja reinforced he would not injure her, she gave little care to if he owned the World's Edge again. Racists were in every breed. That couldn't be helped. But- "And Ophelia... if you would like to travel with me, I would welcome company."

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

OOC: tamme, if you want we can roleplay Ophelia and Tor maybe getting to know each better. I think they would make very good friends <3

Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA                

But still I will remain

Ophelia wanted to roll her eyes at his words. That was how you got infected in the first place, Mauja, she wanted to say critically. Stallions and their pride had to be one of the single greatest evolutionary pitfalls. Luckily their lust and desire helped them carry on their blood before they threw themselves willingly upon the pyre of disease, war and pride. Fortunately, he chose to stand next to her and tried to help instead of shattering her innocent trust in one of her friends, and she felt the way his thick, white tail brushed against the hocks of her hind legs. Their shoulders touched, and even though she was particularly tall for a mare, he still towered over her figure, his shadow easily dominating her own in the cave. Had she ever stood this close to another male? Side by side? Absently she wracked her brain for that information and came up empty. None.

She tried to ignore the feeling, but she would remember it forever, just like this as it was happening now. Mauja touch would forever remain a ghost in her memories, brushing her shoulder in moments of remembrance. The ice kind mad an excellent point that Tor would be getting cold, an Ophelia frowned. Ice and snow made her feel alive, but to most others, it brought them down into lethargy and depression; Tor needed to rise, and soon. "Mauja is right," she murmured, dipping her head back down again. "Once you are back on soft grass, you can rest." Her gaze shifted to the stallion's hooves. Were they solid? Hah, well she appeared more unicorn than he with half-blood. Her cloven toes flexed on the ice as she watched Tor rise, swiftly moving to her side in case she needed a shoulder to lean on.

Tor's words amused her, and she absently wondered whether Mauja would rebel against the Qian. She had not fought in that war for a very simple reason. Rishima and Mauja were her friends; she could not help one or the other at the other's expense. Ophelia smiled at Mauja. He had every right to want to take his land back, to embrace the anger in his heart and let it fuel him to his goals. The young mare had only ever felt that passionately about Ktulu; she wished there were more reasons to experience such drive. "You should tend to your wounds, Mauja. You do not need your legs getting infection." Ophelia suggested this with a tender smile, resting on a leg with a tilt of her hips.

Tor invited her to go with her, and she was interested in learning more about the healer. But, she was also concerned about Mauja. Not only was his body in danger of being infected once more, but she knew that his emotions after such a loss had to be consuming. She did not want him to have to be alone, forced to reconstruct his authority from the ashes of his shattered home before facing his subjects. Dual colored eyes filled with concern, she watched the ice king. "I do not want Mauja to be alone right now," she replied honestly to Tor. "But I am interested in travelling with you. Can we meet up in the Foothills or the Deep Forest?" she asked curiously, a smile of excitement on her lips.

BG | dragon | horse

Ascended Helovian

It felt strange, to hear his name spoken in the soft tones of a female - not that he somehow led a herd of stallions, but... they seldom spoke his name. His rank had convinced a lot of misled horses to call him "my king" or "your grace", and when alone, there was little need to address the other by name. Or perhaps it was just the enchanting qualities of Ophelia's voice, how it was both like silver chimes and a winter wind. Faint echoes of her damning vow towards Deimos blew through his head, and he gave it a miniscule shake. It was unlikely that that day had been a good day for any of them, with, perhaps, the exception of Deimos.

Tor claimed she needed to rest, but he silently agreed with Ophelia. If she wanted to survive, she had to get up, and soon - the chill was always the worst on the floor, where it sucked the heat right out of your body and left you a cold, shivering wreck. The draft seemed determined to stay down, though, and in all honesty, he wasn't that keen on moving away from Ophelia. Miraculous, how sweeping the feverish infection from a body made you feel reborn. It even cured some of his vile mood, making him more inclined to make sure the healer made it through the night. Perhaps it was glorious to heal an exiled king? He doubted it, and even though he wanted to scream at the world and tear it apart stone by stone, he had to school himself to patience, keep dancing the dance upon the knife's edge. Besides, if he didn't stay in this cave with Tor and Ophelia, he'd just do something stupid like prance in the snow, which was quite meaningless and didn't contribute to his effort of taking over the world. So, best stay.

After no more than a couple of minutes, though, the mare seemed inclined to get up again. Mauja quickly scrambled back to give her space, watching as Ophelia rushed forth to offer her something to lean on. Was kindness an intrinsic piece of personality, something that had been hammered out of him, given only when he saw fit and usually only after consideration? What was it, that made it a person's reflex to care for others? Absently he trailed around to the mare's left side, sweeping his muzzle down her flank. Snow fell to the ground, not that it made a difference in her color anyway, white as the majority of her body was. His ears flickered, a humorless grunt of a laugh escaping him. A rebellion to start, when his tattered family was in shambles? "They've made it this far without getting infected, and I'm more concerned seeing the healer survive the night," he murmured, ears flickering. No need to respond to the stupid comment about a rebellion. He wasn't sure at all what to do - sure only of the notion that he wanted to crush the dragonwhore's head beneath his hoof. Anger, oh yes, there was much of it in him, should he but touch it, breathe life into it. But he didn't. He kept his insides calm, a castle of ice and snow. Better not lose his head.

Again, Ophelia's soft voice nearly froze his movements, nearly threw his entire world upside down. Only by focusing on his breathing did he prevent it from hitching in his throat, though he grew somewhat stiller where he stood. He'd not been raised with much kindness, and had always been the central pillar of his herd, the one who could neither falter nor waver. Weakness had not been a luxury he could afford. And when you wore a strong mask, no one stopped to ask you how you felt, if you were okay - if something bothered you. Who would presume to know a monarch's heart anyway, and dare risk his wrath by assume he might not be wholly well? He couldn't remember a time when anyone had even expressed a remote concern for his well-being, and hearing it now... A greedy, selfish part of him wanted to run Tor out and be alone with the more slender mare, but an equally large - or even larger - part feared it. "More than I are wounded," he spoke quietly, trying to steer his thoughts onto other things. "You would be more than welcome to practice your art on them when you energy has returned, if your kindness would allow it. Should you feel unsafe walking among my kin, as it is true that not all of them look favorably upon the hornless, I would not mind escorting you."

With the natural cool of his body, the smoothness of his tongue had returned - and the clarity of his mind, the ease for schemes, though his eyes and voice expressed nothing but gentle concern and shy warmth.
Mauja Frosthjärta

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Tor would happily admit she was pretty much shocked out of her wits when Mauja actually suggested helping her be escorted. Not for the reason you may think- that he was smart enough that he would take a hornless, which would likely be their only chance at healing. After all, she had a rather strong feeling that there was no other healer who would help to heal others. But she didn't really mind, but she did welcome his offer of an escort. She certainly wouldn't want to walk into a herdful of hostile unicorns alone. The tobiano looked into his blue eyes- only gentle concern and warmth. A little puff of air escaped her nostrils.

"Well, Mauja, I will do so. My first priority is those most wounded. And I would welcome an escort, for I will not lie- they have earnt their reputation and I would not like to walk around them. Perhaps an alliance will become between us, even if it is an uneasy one. Mutual need bonds horses. And unicorns." Tor's words are calm and level.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

OOC: Neo- I will create a thread in the Frozen Arch for any injured warriors on Mauja's side :)

Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA                

But still I will remain

Ophelia watched as Mauja approached Tor's other side, his whiskered, lighter colored muzzle brushed against the pinto draft's side, little snow flakes falling to the ground and getting stuck in his lips. This was a curious thing to watch. For a creature who supposedly did not appreciate the other species, he was certainly being kind to a hornless mare, and this made Ophelia smile. Perhaps Mauja was simply suppressing the good inside of him to lead the corrupt, though she did understand the natural inclination to stick to his own species. She felt closer to the unicorns than she did the equines mainly because of the horn on her brow, and she could easily make the conclusion that were she of her father's blood and other unicorn's that she would wish to remain amongst her own. But she was not. She was trapped in the blood of both species; a part of both, but belonged to none.

A absent thought wandered into her mind thinking that she would perhaps wish for his muzzle to wander across her skin, but she quickly banished the idea. Ophelia had forgiven him for the incident with Deimos, but she was not sure that Mauja was accepting of her half-blooded nature. Also, if she did not deserve the attention of Osiris, then why would she deserve the attention of a king? A king surrounded by such loyalty and devotion to a similar cause, even. Silly, silly, mare Ophelia. She shoved her emotions aside and focused on his words, frowning again. Stallions were frustrating. "I suppose you said the same thing about your hindquarters..." she muttered to herself, but the cave was loud enough for her words to be audible.

The crimson and white mare was impressed with Tor when she offered to walk through the fire of hatred and racism to aide those in need, and her heart swelled with pride and a sense of right. Ophelia was pleased that Mauja had asked her to do so as well, though his motivations could easily have been more selfish. Tor was selfless and placing her own health in danger, and she did not blame the healer one bit for asking the king to accompany her. Ophelia wanted to come along, but she did not want to see Deimos gain. She knew that she had to forgiven the stallion for almost killing her, but was she ready to let that hatred and darkness go? He had instilled a fear in a mind that was fearless by biology and genetics. That was quite a feat.

"Are you feeling all right, Tor?" she asked gently, having nothing to say on the matter of her going to heal the displaced unicorns. She then looked at Mauja with a patient, gentle smile. "You really should put salt water on your legs, but I understand if you need to heal your own first." Ophelia's destiny with the healer and the deposed king was slowly coming to a close, and she glanced outside the cave at the calming snow. Should she leave? Should she remain here through the night? Tinek's mind connected to her own, and she got a clear picture of the falling snow in her mind. Without a word to the others, she walked to the mouth of the cave in her own, strange manners.

Her cloven hooves paused in the snow, and she glanced up at the sky, feeling her soul fill with awe. A glorious, colorful aurora cast its curtains across the night sky dotted with stars more bright than fire. And she was just a small speck among the beauty of this world; it was humbling. Her breath cast from her grey lips in frost, and she inhaled deeply. The cold air kissed her figure, making the hair on her body puff to trap the heat, and the soft cry of her dragon echoed on the breeze. "What a beautiful night..." she murmured, her gaze not leaving the sky. It was important to make note of the little things, to enjoy the world around you. Ophelia found that out after months of crippling sadness and confusion about her own mind and traumas. The beauty of the evening made all of her problems seem so small and manageable.

BG | dragon | horse

Ascended Helovian

His ears pricked, twitched, to the low mutter uttered in Ophelia's voice; "I suppose you said the same thing about your hindquarters..." And even though he bristled at the comment, soul for a moment pretending it was a porcupine, he didn't respond. As a matter of fact, he hadn't said that, but first the stealth of d'Artagnan and now the loss of the Edge - and thus the Moon's guidance - had effectively robbed them of their healer. Winter and frost had come to the mainland too, cold killing the plants, putting even traditional remedies out of their reach. He'd sheltered in the Arch to wait the infection out, to prevent his herd from seeing their leader's weakness, and to shield them from his vile temper. Controlled the Ice King usually was, an aptly named Frostheart, but the aftermath of being burned had reduced his fuse to something microscopic in size. A good thing that only the itch of healing remained in his backside, or he probably would've eaten Ophelia and Tor both since they'd spent relatively long in his company by now.

"Of course," he murmured as Tor agreed. He'd not expected anything else, really, though again, for the second time in a short time span, did his soul bristle. What had his herd done to earn a bad reputation? Deimos had nearly killed Ophelia, Alan shouted too much, but otherwise no incident had been reported or uncovered. Hearsay, all of it, mad speculation, attributed to him when the Plague had not really struck anyone down. Still, all he did in reaction to her words was to sigh, as if tired - and tired he was. Of the world, of life, of fighting. Not that'd he'd give up, though...

"Uneasy," he muttered, something like contempt falling from his voice for the first time. "Uneasy only because the last mare to have forged some form of pact with me stabbed me in the back." It hadn't surprised him, really. He hadn't trusted Kri to keep her word, not really, but given her heated reaction when Snö was stolen it had come as somewhat of a surprise that she'd so willingly toss the safety of her herd to the wolves and aid the Qian in an invasion that would not fail in making them enemies. Remorse or not at what she'd done, she couldn't make it undone. In a sense, allowing Tor among his own was a gamble; what if she'd just pretended to heal him, only for his backside to rot and slough off like snow in a few days? Only time would tell and if she turned out to be a betrayer, he'd probably declare that he'd had enough of this world and toss himself in the sea.

"I will," he promised Ophelia, the small smile back on his face after the miniscule outburst. "Once my schedule allows it..." Keeping tabs on his herd was harder out here in the wilds - keeping them safe and fed... Damn it all. Ophelia glided to the mouth of the cave like a stray moonbeam, light upon her cloven feet, and Mauja glanced at Tor for a moment - nothing of disgust in his eyes, only concern. Irma squeezed his scalp with her claws, and with a small shrug he followed after the white and crimson mare. Swaths of blue and green fire reflected upon the pristine surface of the snow, dancing and flickering like flame in the sky among the myriad of stars: he paused beside the young mare again, more space between them than when they'd stood over Tor, but less than if they'd been strangers. His blue eyes soared to the sky, pupils moving to catch every nuance of color and every single shape that hung suspended for a mere moment before changing into something new. Clouds of breath rolled slowly into the frigid dark in front of their face, the rugged wind biting at his face.
Mauja Frosthjärta

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Tor wasn't in the mood to linger much longer. She would come to the Frostbreath Steppe in time, but right now it would be best to take to the Endless Blue, where she could recuperate for a few days before returning to heal again. Warmth would help her, despite her dislike of heat. Turquoise waters and sandy beaches had never been her favorite- in fact, she never even knew 'ocean' and 'beach' before moving to Helovia. The tobiano shook herself briskly, a mere vestige of her warmth remaining in her white and cream body. Indeed, night had fallen, quicker and swifter than a thief.

"I'll be going down to the coast for a few days. Mauja, it would do good for you to go down there as well. Infection is best kept off the legs, and salt-water's best. I'll come back to the Frostbreath after resting a bit. It's best if I wait until I rest. Mauja. Ophelia." Tor gave a warm smile to the white unicorn, and gave a look towards Mauja. Not serious, not overly warm, but a smile. It was time to leave. Hooves crunched on white snow, and she left, the stars glowing down on the pristine snow. The crisp night air brushed her mane and played with her feathers. She picked up a light trot, and headed towards the ocean.

{{Tor's left the thread. And sorry for the short post, I was really rushed on time :/ }}

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA                

But still I will remain

Ophelia's ears dipped toward Mauja and concerned curiosity crossed her features. While the crimson and pale mare knew that she was not perfect, she could honestly say that she had never double crossed or back stabbed anyone she considered to be her friend. Kri might feel differently, but Ophelia had to do what was right for her. The fact no one in the herd had paid attention to the fact that the twins had this devilish, uneducated power seemed... not right. And the fact that the sleuth had to figure out by having her identity stolen was even worse. She missed her friends there, but she did not miss the desert. She missed the responsibility, but she did not miss the chaos of being in a herd. Too many faces and too many memories. Out here, the wind-blow snow and luminous stars filled her mind with calm and peace.

Who would backstab Mauja? Her father ran the Foothills, and from Ktulu's memories, Kri was the first leader he had visited. Knowing her father's often superstitious and unwavering ways, she doubted that he would choose to visit the Ice King of his own accord. Gossamer had disappeared. "Who double crossed you?" she asked, feeling a spark of anger ignite in her soul for him. A flash of righteous anger burned in her two colored eyes, and her expression grew stern. Perhaps one day, with this much confidence and fire, Ophelia could be someone great. But for now, she was content to a life of solitude and simplicity - alone with her thoughts.

A small smile returned to his features when he promised to take care of his legs, and she nodded in response. She was pleased that he was taking her advice to care for his already battle-worn figure. Then, she moved to the mouth of the cave as Tor was speaking. The older, stone and snow mare moved past, thick feathering and a draft coat bristling with the chilled wind. Stars shed dancing light upon her figure, and Ophelia thought that she was truly beautiful in that moment. Tor was a recovering healer, a selfless creature who had taken the responsibility upon herself to save the life of one who live amongst the hateful. Certainly the heavens would smile down upon her generosity.

Ophelia felt Mauja's presence move near her own, the heat of his body warming the air around her by a few degrees. She noticed these little things - these small details that normally escaped the minds of many. Still, her gaze was set forward to the horizon, watching the lights of the universe shine. The snow fell in soft pearls of crystal, their life in the air brief and beautiful before joining their kin on the perfect floor. Already the wind had swept most of the healer's prints away, leaving only a memory as evidence of her time. Wind brushed the crimson and pale forelock from her face and played on the thick, white lashes that caught the snow and protected her bright and reflective eyes. The red, crimson orb on her right cast the night sky in a haze of violence and bloodshed - beautiful and terrible, but the blue was peaceful. An ocean of stars were illuminated in the blue.

White breath puffed past her lips, and Ophelia brushed her tail around her hocks, feeling light and free. This was a memory she chose to remember, for once. As she stood here, the presence of another by her side and under the blanket of this glorious night, she realized that she never wanted to forget this moment, and she was glad that she never would. The mare's eyes closed, and she inhaled deeply upon the wind, face relaxed in complete serenity. Upon exhale, she opened her eyes, renewed. "Mauja, I am sorry for what I said when I trespassed on your boders," she told him honestly, finally turned her gazed to his orbs of ice. "My words were hateful and wrong. I was bitter, angry and upset, and I took all of those emotions out on what you held so dear. I then had the gall to be frustrated with you when you and yours took action against my slights. I was a fool." She cast her gaze down to her cloven toes before looking once more at the horizon. Her heart urged her hooves forward.

BG | dragon | horse