the Rift

[OPEN] Wolf Like Me

Öde Posts: 145
Aurora Basin Disciple atk: 5 | def: 10 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: 4.5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Blu

A gasp shuddered through the air, and soon thereafter a body along with it. Amid the jungle and the chaos, his body had been left, forgotten, unseen or just, abandoned. Either way, the corpse had remained, and when all the dust had settled and the birds had begun to chirp again, he awoke.

Red eyes flew open beneath dark lids, but from a sea of inky nothingness he drifted into something similar, which was disorienting in and of itself, but it didn't help he'd just revived himself. Several nights and days had passed since he first fell, and now the night had come once more, her path guided by a small sliver of a moon who's light scantily cut through the maze of vegetation.

He did not lay long once he figured everything out. He'd laid too long as it were, and hurriedly he got back to his feet, a decision which he ever seemed to forget no matter how many times he'd gone through this. Though alive, he was far from healed, and indeed still stood on death's doorstep, having just bid him farewell. Woozy, Öde staggered amid the brush for balance, pain a cutting thing that severed most other thoughts as he forced himself upon a broken body that seemed mended with scotch tape and chewing gum. His head pounded, but that was a good sign because it meant his heart was too. 

Although he wanted to laugh, because fuck it why not, he had cheated death again, the dark boy refrained. One of these days he was sure he would not rise, and how many times would he fall before then? How many scars could he endure under the moonlight? 

"A god's path is not an easy one to walk," he murmured to himself, a reminder of his purpose which tickled his morale back into some semblance of solidarity. Though, admittedly, he was less happy to know despite those hardships, the paths of gods were still something which could be severed. Around him wolves decayed, evidence of a battle lost, and a god with it. 

Could he some day become more than a god?
Was he already?

ÖDE
IT IS NOT A GOD'S DUTY TO BOW TO DENIZENS OF MORTAL FLESH

@Volterra @Nymeria
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, including death - no decapitating.
Be aware active magic doesn't work in his vicinity due to his magic!

62.5/62.5 HP
Helovia Hard Mode

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
I didn't tag RE as I figured you'd read this anyway Blu but let me know if you want me to!

AND HE DOESN'T LOOK A THING LIKE JESUS

Like last time, the titan returns to the scene of the wolf battle; not just to revel in another glorious fight, but to see if the cure for the black nostril ooze lies here. He doubts it - the Blood Falls had not cleared the boils, after all. Only possession by Rikyn had managed that, and the giant is struggling to come up with any possible cures for this particular disease. Still, he finds himself marauding around the maze of trees and bushes, following the scents that his new enhanced sense of smell allows him to detect. Using just his nose, he can find his way back to the reek of rotting flesh that is so potent it makes his eyes sting.

He is surprised to see his relative staggering amongst the shattered carcasses of the mini-wolves. The young stallion hadn't seen Öde's death during the fight; if he had, he would undoubtedly have tried to aid him. His last memory of the unicorn, therefore, is that highly explicit sight of Öde's excitement during the bear battle, an excitement that Volterra can fully understand now manhood grips him like a curse. The smallest hint of a smirk darts across his face at the memory, but it is quickly smothered as the sound of his lips peeling from his teeth causes a grating in his overly-sensitive ears. Nothing can get him accustomed to the acuteness of his senses, courtesy of the Labyrinth disease. He smells like a snake and hears like a bat, but he would happily hand those quirks back from whence they came if it would rid him of the accursed black essence that hangs from all his facial orifices. His dragon is off hunting again, but Volterra does not need his bonded's sharp eyes and wings now he is so plagued with sounds and smells.

The mammoth yearling draws to a halt and fixes Öde with his penetrating red gaze. The stallion does not look well. In fact, he looks like death - if only Volterra knew the irony of that thought. "Öde?" The titan's masculine rumble sounds like thunder to his ears, which he carefully folds backwards to try and smother the racket. He flicks his eyeline lazily across the older man, elevating one sculped brow as he does so. "You look like shit." Not that the colt himself looks much better, with black ooze pouring from his eyes like bloody tears, and from his nose and mouth in rivulets.

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Volterra feels temporary relief from the GLL.

Öde has contracted GLL.

Blu

Somewhere, someone, called to him. Still in a daze, still cold as his heart returned to its work and his brain sizzled with energy again, Öde did not at first register what was happening. In fact, it sounded like death was summoning him again, except the voice was wrong. In thought his features scrunched up, trying to grasp that echo of a sound. It was familiar, but it was not the reaper, uncle or otherwise.

"You look like shit."

A barking laugh pettered its way from Öde's nares at this, and like a drunkard he swung his head around, rolling red eyes pinning down the speaker at last. "Nice to see you too, cousin, he rasped, tongue licking his dry lips and swallowing hard against his cotton mouth. Glancing around, he absently dove for a patch of vegetation, chewing it with little appreciation for class. Lena would have been dismayed.

Öde knew this colt. Not just their meeting, which he remembered now as he stared at the boy which had since grown, but because Oblivion had told him. Not a brother, but still blood. Roughly Öde grinned, his teeth stained green. "Tell me, how did the rest of the fight go? Any new lands since?" Suddenly, as Öde stared at his kin, he noticed the black ooze dripping from his already dark face. "You're one to talk, look at your face." He stared at it, openly, because the slow movement of pitch fluids was like watching slugs fucking. He'd never seen anything like it, and was torn between complete fascination and some amount of disgust, which for Öde was saying a lot.
ÖDE

@Nymeria

62.5/62.5 HP
Helovia Hard Mode

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
I figured that he needs to try to use his magic to activate Ode's magic-nulling magic for the cure ;o @Random Event just to be sure

His smirk widens. Look at them, two branches of the DemonKing's progeny, diseased but deadly. Öde begins to eat, and Volterra idly looks around at the scattered wolf carcasses for something to entertain himself with whilst the older stallion finishes his meal. Out of puerile, morbid curiosity, he reaches for his magic to summon a plateau of earth beneath the nearest wolf corpse, to try and lift it to eye level where he can scrutinise it closely. He delves into the little nub of magic that glows within his brain, demanding that the earth lifts and moulds to his will...

But nothing happens.

Concerned, the beast tries again. Still nothing happens. He growls, frustrated. Has the disease sapped his magical powers as well? Before he can ponder further, the unicorn is speaking, asking how the rest of the fight went. "The wolf was destroyed. It crumbled into dozens of miniature versions of itself, but they were soon disposed of as well." He snorts his pleasure at the memory, and feels black ooze spatter from his nostrils. Ugh. "Another land was discovered not long afterwards, not too far away from the Labyrinth. It's a flat expanse of reflective sand, with not a tree in sight. There was no fight, either." He's hardpressed to keep the disappointment out of his voice. It might be juvenile of him to enjoy the God fights so much, but the sheer rush of satisfaction when another Rift beast crumbles into dust is...indescribably good. A release, like nothing he's yet experienced.

You're one to talk. The mammoth winces, suddenly self-conscious at the hideous drools of black tar that hang from his face. "Tell me about it. If it's not boils, it's this fucking disease." His ears pin and one massive hoof slams into the ground, creating shockwaves that make his sensitive hearing ache. He had only stumbled across the boil cure out of pure good luck - the cure for this particular brand of nastiness could be anything. "How the hell did you manage to escape it?" Öde'd been there at the wolf fight too, right? Shit knows how he managed to escape his own dose of black ooze.

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Volterra is cured of GLL!

Blu

As Volterra recounted the tales, Öde continued to munch away, absently grabbing for more whenever his mouth grew empty. Dying was hungry work, and the plants helped some of his thirst too; that's all he really cared about at the moment. In fact he probably wouldn't have bothered to keep talking if this horse hadn't proven himself kin, but this was an opportunity he couldn't pass up on.

"Ah,K" Öde responded to the recounting of the wolf's demise. He did his best to hide his disappointment, his failure. "I suppose it was inevitable, just hard to appreciate a dead wolf given our family's crest and all." Was it really a crest? Why not? Did Volterra already know they were related, he didn't seem the least bit perturbed - Öde snuck a bloody glance as his lips pulled on more leaves.

"No fight?" he grunted, not sure how much he believed that. "How'd that happen? Perhaps we ought to go there again, to make sure... the Spark god warned our herd about the Moon fight...more or less... and I doubt the fiery lord is one for diplomacy. Surely there's a fight to be had." He couldn't keep from grinning, just as excited as Volterra over the prospect of battle, especially one with gods.

"Hmm, I suppose dying helped." Öde responded casually to Volterra's inquiry, his munching continuing unheeded as he thought on it. Sometimes death had its advantages "I wonder if I'll get it now that I'm alive again. Which would be unfortunate, since healers can't ever help me." He sighed bitterly. Though he was exceptionally proud of being able to sap the magic out of everyone, to force them to the truth of their mortality like some cruel god might, he missed that he could not drink from the elixir of magic either. Never to heal, never to bond...

"How's your dragon?" he asked, reminded of the beast at the thought he'd never have one. He couldn't deny his jealousy. "And your mom? I've never met her, but I think it's good to know your blood." Öde smiled, and it was genuine.
ÖDE

@Nymeria ??

62.5/62.5 HP
Helovia Hard Mode

Our family crest. The young stallion stiffens, his interest immediately piqued. His dam had mentioned relatives - she is the daughter of the DemonKing, a prolific breeder, and therefore has more siblings than she cared to recall to the nosy ears of her children. Deep down, Volterra had suspected, wondered, from his first meeting with the black unicorn and the subsequent God battles...The lingering sense of familiarity, those red eyes, the lust, the fighting prowess. All traits from a man Volterra has never met, but has heard such infamous words about, a man he is proud to be descended from. "You know." It is a statement more than a question. Clearly Öde does know they're related, else he wouldn't have said our. "I suspected, and my dam told me a little of her side of the family...so our crest is a wolf, hm? Fitting." A fierce, powerful animal, like those spawned from Oblivion's bloodline.

Of course, that hadn't stopped the beast from helping to slay the wolf in cold blood. Affinity to the creature or not, his survival and the protection of Helovia always came first.

His relative - and oh, it is strange and oddly pleasurable to think of him as that! - states that they should probably return to the Flats just on the off chance of a battle. "You are probably right. It would be a shame to miss out on another chance to slay a God." Jaws slip into an easy smile, a smile blessedly free of black ooze. Mid-meal, the other male idly mentions dying, and coming alive again, like he's remarking on the weather. The beast's eyes narrow, suspicious and intrigued. "You...died? Well, you're looking good, considering." Despite his sarcasm, the black behemoth is genuinely interested in his cousin's words. To be able to rise from the dead...to be immortal...He flicks his eyes up and down the unicorn, as though he can detect the other man's blessed gift with the force of his sight.

How's your dragon? The titan swells joyously at mention of his companion. "Growing well and strong. He spends much of his time hunting, perfecting his killing ability." The red has always had an affinity for blood - like his name - but it seems to have intensified as they have grown as a pair. The following question, about his mother, bids the colt's thick neck to arch downwards, ears flopping slightly in dejection. "Several months back, she was stolen into the Dragon's Throat herd. My sister and I have therefore had to spend most of our yearling months fending for ourselves. She recently escaped the herd's clutches, but has told me of her desire to leave Helovia for good, in order to rule alongside my father in the wilderness." No longer is he a weanling boy, dependant on his dam's milk and reassurance. He is almost a man grown - and yet he is still entitled to miss her, isn't he? She has been a solid feature in his life, and now she will be gone for good. Happy, out in the wilderness, ruling, owning. Perhaps more children will come, more half-siblings that neither Volterra nor Nymeria will ever meet.

He shakes his heavy head. "Tell me of your family, Öde. Our common ancestor...did you ever meet him?"

Blu

"I assume anyway," he expanded, unsure now if it their crest. "He could turn into a wolf, at any rate." He had seen that first hand. Öde fell quiet as Volterra continued on, and at his comment of dying Öde gave a short, sad sort of laugh. "It's not as great as it sounds, much better to just stay alive int he first place." Had fate given Öde immortality due to his penchant for dying, or was he simply reckless because he knew death did not await him (yet)?

Or, even better, was it a hint at his godly blood?
He liked that idea.

Volterra continued to talk about his dragon and Öde nodded, still marginally jealous of the beast, but certain he didn't need one, just like how none of the gods were bonded. That link to the soul was as strong as it was weak, he couldn't afford that mortality to drag him down, but he wouldn't say as much to his kind. Blood shared or not, it didn't make both of them gods.

"I understand," Öde murmured as Volterra confessed he'd been mostly alone. "I was separated from my mother for most of my youth when the land was invaded by wraiths and I was turned into one. After, I struggled to find her again, and then the Moon started murdering everyone... mother rescued me from that, at expense of herself." Öde had grown enough that he no longer teared up at the memory. Much as he loathed his mom at the time for more or less abandoning him and letting him become a wraith, he missed her more now that she was gone, and the rose tinted eyes of the past only reminded him of their better times together. She had been strong, in her own way, in ways that Lena was not. He supposed he was better for having the both of them to guide him, but it didn't make her total loss any easier, and it was just a reminder that though he was immortal, the others around him weren't. Could he afford such close emotional connections that would ultimately leave him vulnerable in the wake of their demise?
"So if you see her again, tell you mom her sister, October, is dead. And know you're always welcome to share in my herd at the Basin." He frowned, but moved on with a low cough.

"You could say I've met the DemonKing," Öde began by way of answering Volterra's inquiry. Oblivion was the only other kin he'd really met - his mother he'd already told of. Was there more? Oblivion hadn't said, and the others he knew off were not from his mother's side, though they were no less weak. "He comes to me when I die... like he, like he ushers souls around. He's not a god exactly, but I don't think he's just gone either." That was why Öde prayed to him. He could feel him still.

"He told me of you and your sister and mother. I can't image a corpse would know those things."
ÖDE

62.5/62.5 HP
Helovia Hard Mode

omg i'm sorry for the wait! I didn't see you'd replied whoops <3

He could turn into a wolf? My, that sounded...powerful. To think, the claws and teeth of a carnivore, fur and flesh and muscle and predatory instinct...ah, the black is practically drooling. A magic that is slightly less appealing is his cousin's ability to raise from the dead, despite his initial musings to the contrary. As Öde says, dying does not sound particularly pleasant, and the giant is a believer that everything has its time. Everything dies. Everything becomes meat in the end. No, there's something exquisitely enjoyable about being mortal and fallible. In battle, if one knew they couldn't die, would they fight as hard to avoid it? Without consequences, what is the point of living?

His cousin mentions the loss of his own mother, and Volterra's mind travels to Confutatis. He will miss her, most definitely, but the mantle of her legacy now rests on his and Nymeria's shoulders. It is up to them to bear her bloodlines proudly, but at least that is not a burden he has alone. Öde has it as well, as he too holds the pedigree of Gods. "The Moon Goddess...murdered your mother?" Isopia told him of the Goddess' crimes, but he hadn't thought they affected him directly. It seems she took one of his relatives, though, albeit not one he's ever met. That sits oddly with him, like a stone in his gullet.

He nods as his cousin advises him to tell Confutatis of her sister's demise, and files it away should he ever see her again. His aunt... He knows he has many paternal relatives, such as Argen, but his maternal ones have always been more closely shrouded in mystery. As the immortal one adds that he lives in the Basin and invites Volterra to stay, the beast can't help but flash a small, dark grin. "That's a kind offer, however I don't think my presence there would be welcomed. My dam and the Basin's king were not the closest of bedfellows. When I was a boy, she tried to steal from him. In return, he challenged her and took her armour." A memory that rests hard in the front of his mind. Besides, his dam had told him that her kind were not welcomed in the Basin, with their naked foreheads. The snow and ice of the north holds a certain allure to him, but it is sadly not one he's ever likely to be able to follow.

The behemoth's ears ram forwards with interest when Öde mentions meeting Oblivion when he dies. "Perhaps he is a spirit, a spectre of his living self. You are fortunate to have met him. What is he like?" He is interested to see if he bears any resemblance to his famed forefather.