the Rift

Wait For You [Midas]

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

In the time that Cera could clearly remember, he had never experienced emotions other than happiness and curiosity. There were a few lonely nights, for sure. He had wandered the woods calling brokenly for his mother in a quiet voice, but by nature the little cream colt was a rather happy youngling. Yet today, concern was etched into his face. Word was spreading faster than Cera could keep up with. He wasn't very well socialized, but even he could tell the sudden change in the way the members moved. Everything was tense and hushed. What in the world was fighting? War? Invasion? Words that made no sense to the little one, yet they frightened him so. The expressions that he had seen on the others faces as they spoke these words had instilled a quiet fear in him. Was it bad? The first thought he had was to find Midas. Perhaps he had grown a little too attached to the paint pegasus, but Cera loved him wholly and unconditionally, and almost always sought his company. He would definitely be able to explain these strange words.

Cera checked every place he could think of where Midas would normally be, though checking the borders was much too tiring for him. Tripping constantly also did not appeal to him. "Midas?" His little voice ringing out as he explored as much territory as he could, knowing not to venture too far and wondering where he was. Naive to betrayal, Cera was absolutely certain that Midas wouldn't leave him, and would certainly come to his call. If he was not busy of course, as Cera knew he was most of the time. Though he wished to always be with him, he knew that with age came responsibility, and Midas had a fair share of it. Keeping up the call, green eyes scanning the horizon hoping to find him within sight.
Image by Alex
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Soldier.

Defined as - First into the fray. Defenders of the Throat.

Often the last to withdraw. Those words symbolized the life he led. Dragons golden son, had been born into a world of combat training, and defense exercises. His parents had carried the torch, and now a burning branch had been passed on, to rest between his jaws. Honor came with titled position, but as all things, great sacrifice followed. One sacrifice that was presently felt, was the lack of time. He spent many a night away, on shifts that trailed into the wee hours of the morning. His sleep would fall during his adopted son’s day. Some shifts, he took on day patrol, and hung around the Throat so Cera would be closer to him.

Lately, it seemed his time was being robbed more and more. The idea of battle was being whispered through the sandy desert. Word spread like wild fire. It echoed from rocks, and set even the steadiest pulse to race with either excitement or dread. ‘Soon,’ the voice would whisper. He would be a lying to say that nerves hadn’t sent his feathers to shiver once or twice in the last few hours. Midas had just learned of his calling to enter the battle only yesterday from the herd general, Azzuen. Today was a new morning; he had just finished a nightly round after training hard the following afternoon. His body was sore and tired, though the mind was spinning with inner concerns.

One concern was on a creamy colored colt. He hadn’t seen his little prodigy in last twenty four hours. They usually slept near each other under a giant magnolia tree, and since it was still fairly early—he headed that way. Weighted, steps seemed more sluggish and weary from his usually brisk gait, head held itself neutral with ears forward enough to catch a soft sound that was meant for only him,"Midas?" Cranium leaned up a notch with steps quickening as if spurred, Cera called to him.

A deepened whinny ignited from his chest in response, It said, “I’m here, I’m coming.”

Wings tightened against his sides, he picked up speed to a trot. Moments passed with just him moving across the sand, it didn’t take long to find his son lingering among the boarders of their oasis. The spindle of legs still seemed awkward for the large shape of a foals feathered body. Easing up on the throttle Midas slowed to a walk, a smile already lacing the corners of his face, “Cera,” he uttered happily, “I was hoping to see you off for the day,” stopping just in front of the child, he lowered head to nuzzle to the topmost part of a smallish head where mane and ears meet.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Cera did not want to wander too far from the spot they had chosen as their own, both wary of the places he had yet to explore and not wanting to miss Midas returning. He normally appeared after his job was completed, and the white patched colt always made sure to be waiting for him to welcome him. And maybe ask a hundred more questions for the day. Cera's speech had slowly progressed, knowledge filling the large holes and giving him a bit more confidence with his words. This was thanks mostly to Midas, as he was the only one Cera conversed with regularly. Finally in response to his call there was a deep, familiar whinny answering from the distance. Nickeling with delight he spun on his heels and waited, ears pricked and wings tucked tight as he kept his eyes focused on where the sound had come from.

Cera ran to meet him halfway, making sure to concentrate so he wouldn't fall. He had been practicing, wanting Midas to be proud of him. The easy smile on Midas' face had a similar one appearing on his, and he welcomed the gentle touch to where his forelock and mane met. Turning his head to press his muzzle to Midas' ear, retreating and gently bumping noses. Eyes adoring as he answered. "I waited," sounding proud and happy, though he waited every day and sometimes night for Midas to return. "Can you come with today?" Knowing not to be too hopeful, because Midas had a job to do and was normally tired by the end of it.

The gangly colt sidled closer so that he could check over him, not sure what to look for but needing to assure himself that Midas was alright. This talk of battle scared him, and he didn't know if it would have an impact on his perfect bubble of happiness. "You tired? People saying bad things, I don't understand. You go to war now instead of borders? Different job? What is war?" Eyes worried as he gently touched Midas' shoulder, satisfied with his inspection and stepping away to look at him with curiosity and fear ringing the edge of his worried eyes. So quickly he asked these questions, but only because he loved Midas and didn't want him hurt. Did war hurt? Cera only knew the pain of scraped knees and tumbles, which is what he had been looking for on Midas.

OOC: Sorry for the wait, terribly sick. Finally resigned to doing this on my iPod, so sorry if it's not my normal writing!

Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
The simple sight of Cera’s brightened face lifted his tired spirit. Physical aches didn’t flee entirely, but they were wistfully muted. The cherub gave great joy to his heart, and he thanked the lord each and every day. His foal was intelligent and kind spirited. With each passing day he could see the changes of a gangly young colt shifting into something more, feathers lengthening to prune baby foliage away; soon, Cera would be a proud stallion, with the world across his back. But, for now, innocence remained ever in place. The youth stared up at him with love and deep rooted affection; budding feelings were met with equal attention, and pride.

Their muzzles touched, igniting senses to sample familiar smells and warmth. He knew what was coming, head angled up as sandy jaws parted to bombard him with new ponderings. Midas welcomed questions with open arms and listened patiently as his father did so long ago, "I waited," a hint of accomplishment lingered and a coltish smile of his own plastered its way across, "Can you come with today?" He realized that the age for exploring was coming up, either he would have to take Cera across boarders and show the lad around in the distant lands or find the painted cream doing so himself. It was for this reason Midas had taken off for the rest of the day and tomorrow.

“No,” he replied softly, “I need rest for now,” knowing disappointment firsthand Midas added lightly, “Let no whisper of trouble find my ears for you, and when I wake a little later,” it was an unneeded warning he knew, because Cera was always well behaved. Playfully he lowered skull to tug the shortened mane along his son’s neck gently, “I’ll take you outside the Throat, and we can travel into Thistle Meadow.” He figured the Meadow would be a good consolation prize.

Cera inspected his body, first with gaze and then testing butt of face against coal colored shoulder. Cranium angled with curious eyes following, "You tired? People saying bad things, I don't understand. You go to war now instead of borders? Different job? What is war?" gaze widened slightly with brows falling to narrow at the subject of question. It seemed nothing could be silenced in his home, even the ears of their youth were prey to the grim news. Lies and reassurance would not be given, he dared not grant his youth false hope that had the potential of being shattered to pieces.

“Cera,” he started gently, smile gone and lingering in its place was a tightly knitted frown, “It is a different job,” swallowing a sigh he continued, “and the gossip you have heard is truth,” limbs tensed and pushed the ebony stud forward with aim to draw them away from the sun and into shadowing shade, “myself and many others will be joining our wingless brethren on the battle field in five day’s time,” tone still bore soft marks that he always had, but the open worry lingered across it like a ruffled page. Midas had no reason to hide his feelings on matter; battle would take him away from Cera’s side, perhaps permanently if he was to fail. Legs curled beneath him, the air was cool already from the lingering chill of winter. The shade of a palm stretched out from above.

OOC: it was a joy to read <'3. Hope you get feeling better

Midas' presence had a soothing affect on the patchy colt. Without him, the days were long and lonely. Even if they did not speak, Cera was comforted simply in knowing that the darkly painted stallion was beside him. He never broke a rule, spoken or otherwise that Midas lay before him. Always pleasant and understanding when his cherished adopted father came back tired and only wanting to rest. Already Cera couldn't remember a time without him, all of the days before meeting him an endless blur of noise in his memory. There was no doubt in his mind that Midas was his father, and once he learned the proper title to call him by Cera would always see him as such.

Ever patient, Midas did not reprimand Cera for his enthusiastic questioning. He never had, and Cera had yet to be lashed at at all. Not that he would ever wish to be, he would never want to disappoint Midas. Cera always hoped to go exploring with Midas. The unknown world didn't scare him, for he was oblivious to the dangers that lurked. But the steady company always made the trip infinitely more enjoyable, and should Cera ever have questions about what they found he would always direct them at the older male. Because of this, Midas' answer did strike the smallest of sadness in his breast. But he only had concern for Midas' physical state in return. The promise of adventuring past the borders had a bright smile coming to rest on his cream face. Playfully nickering as his mane was pulled; always gently. Returning the tug with a gentle bump of his nose against the blackened cheek. "I will be good! It will be fun! I can rest with Midas!" Yet another pasttime that Cera enjoyed. Even if he was not tired, he enjoyed dozing with him in the sun. Dancing on little hooves, excitement fueling what youth already gifted him with.

However Cera's inquiry only confirmed his fears; Midas' face turned troubled, and Cera's wings and ears drooped. Jade eyes unhappy and worried. If Midas was worried, then it was surely nothing good. Listening with troubled ears as his name was spoken softly, Cera turned and walked beside Midas to the shade of the closest tree. As he folded his legs to rest, Cera carefully arranged himself the same way, pressed close to his side. The idea of Midas leaving, for an unknown length of time, had an unknown pain stinging his heart. Making a rather pathetic noise of protest, tucking his head against the strong neck. "I don't want you to leave..." But as Midas had explained when Cera sadly watched him depart every day, a job was a responsibility that had to be done, and therefore the colt knew he must go. Snuffling sadly and pressing as close as he could, both to share heat and cherish the closeness for as long as he could. "I...I can help! I come with! Don't leave me alone..." tone switching from desperate to heartbroken, unable to comprehend why he couldn't come with.

OOC: Thank you <3 sadly it's pneumonia as I have rather awful luck haha. But this cuteness is more than enough!!
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
It would never be his intention to leave the youth fatherless. Honoring his title and home demanded sacrifices be made; and those sacrifices might not be so detrimental had he not obtained a gangly youth. Cera curled beside him, and Midas found himself smiling at the cherub despite the gloomy bringing of news. He never did, nor never would regret accepting Cera into his family fold. But damaging a pure soul would be a sin he could never wash off; a new fear tripled the speed of his heart and forced eyes closed to hide the onslaught of flickering doubt. What if he passed from this world before seeing Cera fully grown? Would the colt recover from such a loss with the same sweet natured attitude?

Lids opened with features contorted to display stress, his feelings were matched when gaze found Cera staring down at the ground and whimpering softly. The smallish head, not yet defined by the square features of adulthood slide alongside his neck to find comfort in the closeness that could be offered. One ivory wing lay sprawled beneath him, the other rose to cover his son’s body with warmth and feathers. Muscles drew the child close against his warmed hide, shielding from the outside world. With a weighted heart and mind he listened to grieved words, "I don't want you to leave..."

Ears lay across his head, and neck twisted to pull cranium round with muzzle close to Cera’s neck and larger head gently pressing against creamy cheek. "I...I can help! I come with! Don't leave me alone..." Those simple words tore at his heartstrings. Already the child was brave, but, ignorant. A battle ground was no place for a fledging. Midas pressed skull and tightened his muscles to embrace the babe for a moment, “Cera…” the word came out as a sigh before he pulled head away to speak, “Your duty lies here, to help the others watch over our home while so many soldiers are away.”

His dusty flyer was old enough to understand at least a small part of what Midas had signed up for, “The place I am going is very dangerous,” grimly he stared at the sandy terrain beneath them, “One day, when you are fully grown and have flown across the expansion of sky,” gaze turned up to the openness of the azure atmosphere, “You will get the opportunity to fight,” turning attention back to his prodigy he added with firmness entering the gentle notes of his tone, “Until then, you must stay within the boarder while I’m away.”

Honey locked emerald to achieve understanding between them, “If something…” wavering to the point of breaking off, he paused when a hard knot tightened the muscles along his throat. Swallowing hard, the painted father continued, “If I do not return with the rest of the warriors, seek out Ktulu, or Onni; they will care for you in my stead.” He was sure that the herd would step up and another would step into his shoes to provide proper teaching for Cera; though it wounded his soul to think such things.

They lay in silence, each absorbed in their thoughts. Cera was twisted inside, trying to imagine how he could possibly last without Midas. His days revolved around him. What would Cera do? Where would he go, instead of waiting loyally for Midas to return? Who would listen to him babble on during the day in his absence? Who would he cuddle up to when he found himself tired? Everything Cera did, Midas was somehow involved. Every piece of him rejected the mere thought that his father was going to be leaving.

As Cera moved closer, a large wing draped over him and pulled him close. Instantly the cold, both from the outside and within him, was banished. Warmth and comfort replaced it, held closely against Midas' side. The feathers were soft and familiar, and the sandy colt wished he could stay there forever. Midas turned his head and their cheeks brushed, hugging them together almost desperately. The ache in Cera's chest deepened, and he could not understand what it was. He could sense the distress in Midas as he was squeezed, giving a tiny whicker of sadness that was barely a whisper. When the stallion pulled away Cera wanted him back. He didn't want to face this. But he listened, ears drooped in despair and remaining weak and compliant beside him. "The place I am going is very dangerous," Cera shook his head minutely, quivering at the thought of Midas becoming injured. He wanted to leap up, to shout, beg Midas not to go. But Midas was still speaking, and Cera knew better. Grassy eyes turned towards the sky, following the honey ones that directed his gaze there. Turning back once more, sensing his gaze. Heart jumping to his throat when Midas quietly but sternly ordered him to stay. Trembling with the hurt he didn't understand, wanting to disobey. To say he wouldn't listen, that he could help! Wanted to say that he would follow regardless of his father's words. But what fell from his lips was the opposite. "I-I will..." And though his voice wavered and broke, he managed to force it out past the pain in his throat that tried to make him stop.

Even so his gaze did not break. Cera wanted to be strong for Midas. And when he stumbled and stopped, the youth brushed his muzzle against Midas', trying to comfort him. But if he had known the words that would follow, he would have never wanted Midas to continue. Emerald eyes widened in horror and he shook his head, refusing to accept what Midas said. Voice coming out in a panicked, agonized whinny. "No! No no no! I-I won't!" Wings fluttering as he tried to stand, quickly falling back down and scooting closer. Rethinking his decision and wanting to be close instead of running away. Head shaking furiously. "You come back! Y-You will!" Sobs shaking his body until he felt he would come apart at the seams. How could Midas say that? He had to come back! Cera couldn't live without him! And he would never seek out those he mentioned. Nobody could replace Midas, and Cera wouldn't give them the chance. "I don't want them! They not you! They can't be daddy!" Too distraught to wonder if Midas would accept the name. Cera had been asking around, wanting to know what Midas was to him. He had intended to ask permission, but it had soon become what Cera called Midas in his mind either way. Crying his stubborn refusal into the great shoulder, not wanting to imagine Midas leaving and never returning. It was too similar to the fuzzy memory of his real mother. He could still remember the lonely nights of tears before Midas had saved him. Only this time it would be much worse should that happen. It was not an option in his mind.

OOC: Oh good lord the tears ;-;
Image by Alex

Birch Posts: 37
Windtossed Foothills Warrior
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 84 Months
Adoptable
[[ ;-; : Thank you guys for bringing them to life like this. ]]
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Cera had given his word in a wavering tone. Despite lacking strength, Midas didn’t doubt the little Pegasus; his son had never been disobedient before now, so no further thought was given past subject. Words of comfort and future assurance where not received as Midas might have falsely hoped. "No! No no no! I-I won't!" he cried, taking motion to rise. Ivory wing rose a few inches instinctively.

The move was retracted though; small body shook with raking sobs of grief before falling back against his side. "You come back! Y-You will!" he uttered in that same heartbroken tone. Eyes closed. Throbbing chest yearned to offer lies of relief, idle promises that may or may not come true. None fell forth. Instead he lowered skull to earth and circled his child with physical strength and warmth.

"I don't want them! They not you! They can't be daddy!"

Liquid honey took rise, half silted, a single silver tear perched in the top corner. He felt every wave of pain, fresh—as if it was his own sorrow for a loss long ago; during a time when youth raised youth. His heart found wisdom and turned it into utterings, “Dear one, have faith in this warrior,” pressing muzzle against the wetness of fur he nuzzled gently to wipe away innocent tears, “Do not doubt that I will return to you, I have something more important than anything in this world to fight for,” pulling away enough to catch gaze he murmured, “My son, my child, I seek only to assure your safety so I may enter the fray with a clear mind.”

Pulling him close Midas tucked head toward creamy ears and whispered, “I will stay with you these next few days, until the time for my departure.”

OOC: ;_; all tears, sorry its so short; school is keeping me jumping.

OOC; No problem Alex :] it's a pleasure. And Angel don't worry same here~

Agony was all be could feel in his state of despair. As if his chest were being crushed by some force unseen that he could not control. The mercury tears that fell from his pained emeralds were copious and insistent. Midas did not reassure him with false whispers, yet the gangly colt had never wished harder in his life that he would. Cera had always respected and enjoyed Midas's honesty and calm understanding of whatever Cera did. But if only for a moment he wished that those sweet words would grace his ears, strike away the pain that scared the patchy colt.

What he recieved was something almost as good. Drawn up into the tight embrace of his father, as if hoping to never let go. Too distraught to see the pain echoing from his own soul in the stallion beside him. Feeling only the soft breath on his face as soft lips brushed his wetted hairs beneath his eyes. Smelling the familiar mixture of him and taking comfort in the familiarity. Violent sobs were slowly calmed as the smooth voice met his ears, a lullaby that sang quietly to his distress until he was but a quivering mess pressed tight against him. Shuddering breaths and broken little cries all that remained among the tears that had slowed yet still slipped forth.

What met his ears in those words touched deep into his heart, mending the wound the same voice had unwantingly caused by breaking the news to him. Cera meant something to Midas. Meant more than anything. As he had called him daddy, so Midas had called him his son. Love grew so rapidly within him that he felt he could not contain it. Seeking only to assure Midas that he would listen, support him by giving him peace in a war zone. Even if he were contained within the borders, Cera would send his love and support to the Gods with every moment he waited for his father to return. "I be safe. I promise." Barely a whisper that touched black ears, swearing that he would do as he wished. Falling gratefully into his embrace, still pained and heartbroken beyond anything he had till then experienced- but Cera had resigned himself to believing in Midas, in dealing with this agony if only because he had such faith in his father that there was no other option. The whispered promise had a tiny sob echoing from his little throat, but he nodded tearily despite. "I miss you...I will. I no want you to go daddy...but I listen. I wait for you, for when you come home. You have to." Willing to wait day and night either here beneath these branches or by the borders, to ignore his youthful urges and be loyal to Midas. Cera wanted to welcome him back home. But for now he clung to Midas desperately, drinking in the promise of his presence for as long as he could have him.
Image by Alex