the Rift

[OPEN] Whatch me whip, whatch me neigh neigh

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

Finished with her latest patrol Ampere landed near the oasis, nodding at her relief to ensure the switch was easily managed. Puffing slightly from the exertion the double patrols were causing, Ampere relished her moment by the water. Though, she was still restless, her heart adrift in the seas of her mind. There were still so many things nor right, and she... she didn't feel strong enough to set them straight.

After indulging in a gulp of water the blue mare lifted the steel plate from her back, her magic moving and twisting the pleated heap of metal. With little effort it expanded, fanning out and securing itself as her trusty shield. She practiced moving it around, still getting familiar with its weight which was vastly different from her other utensils. She rapidly threw it, turning it into a weapon, then drew it back to her, fortifying a shoulder or a hip against some invisible attack. It still felt new and she was clumsier with it than she would like. Knives were easy, you threw the pointy end at someone, but shields required a certain tact, and that had never been her strong suit. Not to mention her small stature and general lack of strength made it difficult to support the heavy steel of the shield when she always needed it, but she supposed its strength would fill the holes of her weakness.

More than that though, she watched the shield as if drawing inspiration from it. It's purpose, to protect, was what she wanted at her very core. Could she become it, a shield for the disadvantaged?

Destry

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
unarchived per request
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

I kept Shahrokh desperately close to my side, wing always draped over the young babe in attempt to prove he was safe. When I drifted away to relieve myself or stepped away for a moment to merely get a drink I took note of his unsettled look and uncontrollable trembling. The tears would start streaming not long after, and the inevitable collapse occurred. He would lay like that, helpless and sobbing like a baby bird abandoned beneath its nest, giving desperate gasps for its mother. Shahrokh was growing dependent on my presence, and I honestly was beginning to hate it. 

This deep, irrational hatred ensnared my gut and mind like vines, thorns hooking into my flesh and digging deeper every time I looked at the boy. My blood boils and hopelessness arises because whenever I look at him I think of Aurelia's promise to raise our children together. Yet she had ran away as soon as they were born and I'm sure Alala followed suit (or so I prayed, gods do I pray she and Aur were together right now). My stomach churns at the thought of laying crimson over her alabaster curves, throat knotting as I imagine how her freckles run across her ivory coat. I felt betrayed knowing that she left me. I put trust in her, I gave her everything and she ran away with my heart in her hands. And what did she leave me? Depression deeper than the sea and a child at my hip who clings like velcro. 

I wandered the Throat with Shahrokh in pursuit, his little maw grasping some of my tail as though it was a leash. We edged closer to the Oasis, my eyes dragging across the ground while my sluggish pace leaves Shah constantly bumping into my rump, his inconsistent steps leaving me more and more agitated. With a rather abrupt grunt I stop and flick my gaze upward, teeth grinding together as I eye the blue accented woman. She works with metal, molding it before my eyes into something for defense. A shield, I watch her toss it and have it return to her with little objection. My ears prick up in interest, gait quickening into a collected trot. Shahrokh gives out a startled gasp, stumbling after me, little legs struggling to carry him behind me. His breathing is left uneven and painful to hear, my heart sinking at the sounds of his difficulty. 

Watching the mare use this weapon with ease brings memory of my armour to the forefront of my mind. I blink and inhale, recalling a blur of golden berry accented with golden tresses and a for a fleeting second seeing sea green glinting under the light of dusk. I remember the crisp smell of pine, familiar but too far in the confines of my memory to grasp. With that blur went my laurel, my armor suited just for me, torn away at the edge of night. "What a fascinating item, useful for battle I would assume?" I murmur, not wanting to just stand there in silence and view her practice with the defensive article.

Shahrokh shifts his weight, stepping forward with his nose trailing along my side until we stood shoulder to shoulder. He drags the side of his face along my side until his neck was stretching up towards my head. I lean down slightly, assuming this is what he wants. It takes him a moment as he lips along my features before finding my ear, leaning back a ways before whispering. "Who is it mama?" His whisper isn't much of a whisper, sightless eyes darting around frantically as another episode threatens to overcome him. I drape my wing over him, hushing him quietly as his feeble figure begins to tremble. 

"blah blah blah." "shah goes blah blah blah." 

ooc: this was much longer than intended ahh
word count: 628

SquirrelyTodd.deviantart.com | TwiWolf.deviantart.com

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

A voice draws her attention away from the new shield, and as her head turns the metal sags where she'd had it up by her shoulder. She obliges and lets it sink into the sand, its lack of weight a relief. It was beautiful, but it was taxing. Perhaps if she had the mind the crafters could show her how to lighten it without losing its might. "Yes, or so I hope," Ampere returned the question, blue gaze skating across the dark mare and her child. She recognized the form of her herd mate, but she couldn't say she knew the mare well. Spy ranks, if she remembered right, but the name eluded her.

"Its a might heavy though," she admitted, glancing back at the heavy thing. "It's why I've never been one for armor myself, but I suppose they're both good at protecting you. A few scars are sexy but any more and I might start to resemble a cactus." She laughed good naturedly. "Interested in battle are you?" her blue eyes were alight with mischief when she spotted the youth looking at her.

"I'm Ampere, Gladiator here," she introduced herself with a dip of her head. She had another name, or two actually, but the one was something others spoken often of her, and the other was a secret. "Afternoon to you both. Just enjoying the sun myself." She smiled pleasantly, glad to relax in this moment as she so inoften did.

I watch the metal slip from her shoulder, fluid and not as defensive anymore. Crimson lingers before I hear her words, raising my gaze and listen to her ramble. She mentions armour and immediately my expression wavers. Ah. I felt my lips twitch downward as I feel the cool air pinch about my skin in the place where my laurel once rested. She cracks a joke and my response is to let out a laugh, rather delicate and brief as my smile widens. 

"Somewhat, yes. Though I haven't much experience—" My ears flush as I glance off to the reddened dirt beneath us, biting my lip guiltily. "I did have armour, once." I raise my head and smile graciously. "It was quite a sight, and it was retractable so it wasn't heavy all the time." I nod along as I remember exactly how the metal would flow over my figure and fit snug against it. 

I smile as she introduces herself, glancing down at Shahrokh who gives a curt nod. "Hi." He mumbles, blinking slowly as his unfixed gaze drifts along. I look to Ampere and offer an introduction. "I'm Destry, just a sleuth. And this little one is Shahrokh, also just enjoying the good weather." I brush my nose against his uneven forehead at the mention of his name, feeling the nubs of potential horns growing there. He shifts his posture and tries to stand a little taller, head tilted in the wrong direction. Rather than face Ampere he faces too far to her left, my smile dimming at the pitiful sight. I reach my chin over his head in an attempt to pull it back so he was actually facing Ampere now. 

"blah blah blah." "shah goes blah blah blah." 

ooc: merp
word count: 284

"You did?" Ampere asked, emphasizing the past tense word of did. Her features pulled together in puzzlement, "Did it break? I'm sure our crafters could fix it. Something as valuable as that you wouldn't want to just leave to gather salt and dust." Of course perhaps Destry had just abandoned it, seeing as she didn't have the confidence in fighting, for which she probably relied upon her armor. Still, if she didn't want it Ampere's ranks could certainly benefit, but she wasn't about to demand as much.

Destry went on to explain herself and her child. Ampere's blue gaze narrowed as she watched the foal seemingly struggle to just stand and look the proper way. What's the matter with him, she wondered faintly. When the wing slipped over him to redirect him Ampere was aware of her stare and redirected it back to the mother. "I've a boy myself," she murmured, bobbing her head in thought. "Zero he goes by." She didn't care to reveal his own limitations, but her soft smile was genuine as she felt a heartfelt connection with this mother and her struggling babe.

"You know," she went on, "I can teach you. To fight that is, if you're interested in learning how to put the armor to good use." Ampere was of the opinion everyone should know how to fight - some day it could just keep you alive. "Swing by the arena any day we're running drills. Zero's usually around, perhaps the two could play while we train. Maybe in return you'll show me a thing or two about being sneaky," she winked.

@Destry

Her question makes me cringe, filling with defeat but fury, a desperate promise to find who'd stolen my armour carved into my mind. I couldn't let them get away with it, couldn't give them the satisfaction of keeping my stuff, knowing that someone out there was armourless. "No no, it didn't break. If it did, I surely would've sought out a crafter. Someone stole it from me." I can taste the venom dripping from my lips, the desire to grind my teeth together and plot the demise of whomever it was who snatched up my item. My jumbled emotions are disastrously spilled out on the floor, where I loathe them and bitterly kick them under the rug.

The commonality between us (one not as obvious as our wings or herd) was motherhood. Ampere had a boy, she tells me, who calls himself Zero. Naming your child Zero sounded like you were really setting them up to be a nobody, but Ampere hadn't named her son that, so why did he go by Zero? I shrug the question of, smiling and nodding before looking down at Shah, blank expression printed as the only movement from him is flicking ears, honing in on our conversation. "How old is he?" I question, looking back to Ampere. If he wasn't too far from Shahrokh's age, maybe they could play together. 

The prospect of fighting sounded wonderful, exhilarating and exciting. A pulse pounding dance with sweat, flying limbs and bruise marked flesh to end it all, blood and tears exchanged on the battlefield between two opposing bodies. It sounded wonderful, and to know how to put my thick yet quick body to use sounded like something that I needed. My smile grows, becoming active and being a more social piece in this herd might be what I need to pick myself out of the dumps, to leave behind the idea of my perfect family that I'm still clinging to. "Tlhat sounds wonderful, I'd love to!" 

ooc: ahha @Ampere
word count: 330

The cordial conversation was at once arrested when Destry shared that her armor was stolen. Ampere's feathers bristled on end, and her eyes flashed a dangerous blue as they steeled with anger. Her teeth grit together as she held back her first rush of words, choosing to settle instead; there was no immediate enemy to pummel anyway. "I think I can help you," she managed as her feathers sleeked back down, encouraged with a shake of her head. "There's a group I've heard of, called the Whatch, that help those who have been stolen or stolen from." Ampere didn't want to go into too much detail, afraid the perceptive sneak might notice that she knew more than rumors would allow. Still, she was excited for this opportunity to employ the justice she'd always been searching for.

"I know where to find them, tell me what the armor looks like and they can hunt it down for you." she nodded in assurance, her faith in this group unwavering as she held Destry's stare. She was sure the mare felt ashamed, being a sneak and having something stolen, so a secret group seemed the perfect outlet for her anyway. "When you get your armor back, I'd be glad to train you," Ampere added, trying to re-lighten the move she had inadvertently turned intense.

"The boys could play at the same time. Mine's not much older, near a year by now." She smiled, trying to cover the eagerness that spun around inside of her, vibrating with anticipation for this mission.

@Destry

I watch Ampere stiffen at my words, hearing that my armour has been stolen. I watch her carefully, biting at my lip with eyes carefully drawn to her. The Whatch, she calls them, a group that helps those who have been stolen or stolen from, saying she's heard rumours of them. Perhaps I've been holed up for too long, but I haven't heard of this Whatch. This isn't all she has to say, informing me that she knew where to locate them, and could relay a message for me if I gave her a description of my armour. I don't question how she knew where they were, or why she couldn't just take me to them, thinking that perhaps she was close to someone within the organization. 

I smile, blessed that someone could be so kind to someone they'd only just met. "Well, it's a silver laurel crown that rests on the head when not activated, but when it is it covers the face, neck and body, and composed of several pieces that make it all up. Is that a good enough description? I don't have a description of the thief, at least not an extensive one. I recall pink.. and gold?" I knit my brows, trying to remember anything more, but getting nothing in the end. "That's all I have, which I hope is enough." I fear that it won't be, and that Ampere will not be able to give the Whatch enough information to find my stolen item. I could only hope at this point, trying not to let my worry show too much. "Thank you for this, Ampere." I offer a genuine smile, trying to be less rigid and giving the black and blue mare the most grateful smile I could muster. 

"That would be wonderful, I would appreciate it." I bow my head, glancing at Shahrokh who seemed confused on our current exchange. He pushed his nose against my shoulder, the worry on his face apparent, especially at the mention of playing with someone else. I let my wing unfurl to settle over the newly trembling boy, despite his age he still acted like a newborn, scared of the prospects of anything happening around him. He was all too worrisome, his anxiety worsening each time we walked anywhere. He seemed to prefer to stay in one spot with me as close as physically possible, without my touch he melts into a puddle of disaster. "I'm sure Shah would love that, and he's also almost a year. Wouldn't you like to play with Ampere's son, Shah?" I glance at him, his lips opening as he tries to force optimism, his struggle to pretend he isn't worried a failure. "I-I gu-guess."

ooc: 
word count: 463

@Ampere