the Rift

[PRIVATE] !! What is Love?

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

Resplendence was broken. Her body moving, breathing, a heart beating, yes. But her mind had sheltered her back, deep into the recesses of her mind. Where was Quilyan? Where had he gone?! He had said he wouldn't leave her anymore. He said that he was there for her from here on out. Yet. He was gone. Again. She curled up against her fabric, wrapping herself in the silk and hiding away as her glitter pooled around her.

Tears cascaded down her cheeks, but she was so tired she didn't even notice it. Valiance… well, needless to say he was not very appeased with the entire situation. He was hissing and poking and jabbing at her - trying to get her to move, to care. But the sadness had enveloped her. It had started to eat away at her bones, making every step something that caused her fatigue. All she wanted to do… all she could do was sleep - and as she focused on the things that were necessary, it made her heart ache.

She couldn't have a family. But he was alive. She knew it. He had to be. He wouldn't have done it without saying goodbye. There had to be some huge thing in this universe that was out to get her - to forbid her from ever gaining the family she so desired. Yet, her tears were silent as Valiance flitted around the entrance in uncertainty. To find someone to snap her out of it, or to try and let her work through it on her own?

Oh, but each option seemed absolutely horrible. So what was he supposed to do?

@Lakota @Ktulu
Ready to break her heart, girls?

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu
Ktulu the Constrictor
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

Time and again Ktulu walked past the prison cell without paying much attention to it, but the silk fabric that fluttered in the breeze caught her attention. She couldn't help but wonder why there was fabric and when the dragon flew around the entrance of the cell she began to walk toward it. The Constrictor was silent as she pushed the fabric out of her way and stepped inside only to come face to face with Resplendence. She stared at her for a moment before looking around, her frown deepening as she noticed that the healer had made a prison cell into something that she assumed was supposed to be a home. 

Naturally, Ktulu did not approve of using something that could technically belong to the sleuths and the warriors for when they took prisoners, but it wasn't her position to say. It was Archibald and Kaj who would have to deal with where to hold multiple prisoners since the medic had taken up residence in one of the cells. Finally, she stopped looking around the cell and looked at Resplendence. At her tear-streaked face, the glitter that pooled around her hooves, the way her body seemed to sag under the weight of grief and depression, both of which Ktulu was intimately acquainted with.

"Why are you crying?" She asked even though a small part of her didn't want to care. The meek little mare had never gone  out of her way to speak to her on the several occasions they had been near one another. And it didn't take a genius to figure out that the look on the little glitter-bug's face was whenever she was around was fear. That look always made Ktulu want to give the other mare a reason to be scared, but for once she was going to try to play nice. Try.

"."

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
Lakota & Ktulu
The Poisoner & The Constrictor

Lakota had been meaning to track down her mate for a few hours, wandering around the Falls with no real purpose. She knew Ktulu wasn't signed up for a patrol or a spar, and she hadn't been with Murtagh - who'd been playing with Aodaun last she saw him. Huffing, the Poisoner had turned and finally struck out towards Resplendence's cavern, intent on asking her for Valiance's help. Aodaun would have helped but he was keeping an eye on Murt, so Lakota was left to her own devices when it came to tracking down her beloved. Life as parents was joyous and Lakota had never been happier, but she missed Ktulu, having her just to herself for once. They'd been through hell and high water together, and Lakota deserved an afternoon with her mate. Kaj and Archibald could kiss her beautiful blue ass, they didn't need Ktulu every damn day. 

Of course right as she crested the hill to see the fluttering fabric left to the wind, Ktulu's hindquarters (ooh nice view) disappearing into the little prison-den, Lakota knew her evening plans were screeching to a halt. With a sigh the lithe maiden picked her way down the hill, audits flicking as Ktulu's voice and soft crying met her ears. Oh god, what now? Kitten had always been meek - one of the reasons she didn't seek her out very often, lest she snap on her and get Kaj on her case. Lakota didn't have the rank to bully others, unfortunately. Plus a part of her liked Kitten's style, with how she'd slyly poisoned the dickwad that had trashed her garden. Still, she couldn't walk away. Especially not when her mate had disappeared into the den as well. 

Lakota slipped beneath the curtain, brushing her muzzle slowly from Ktulu's flank to her shoulder in silent greeting, standing hip to hip beside her and cocking her head at Resplendence who was collapsed upon the ground like a doll with severed strings. There was nothing to say yet, not when Ktulu had already asked the vital question. Who was she to judge the severity of the situation yet? Lakota would probably be in the same position if something happened to Murtagh. 

Except...yeah probably not. Lakota would be far more likely to go nuclear than dissolve into a useless weeping mess. So maybe she could judge. 

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

Normally, she would care. Normally, some part of her would lash out at the thought of those of the Grey so close to her. There might be fear in her eyes, but she would balk and back away - give them room until they had given her a possible reason to begin to accept them. Kota, Apollo, Archibald - they had all (at some point in time) shown her kindness. And, (at some point after that) she had allowed her heart to soften to them, to let them in to the one thing that had already been snapped so many times.

Still, today, she had lost her fight. The fight to stay alive, to fight to care about her safety. The ever looming voice nagging in the back of her mind that nothing was safe was quiet. She could probably stand on the edge of a cliff - watching some rocks tumble down below her - and she wouldn't feel the fear that was so important to keeping one alive. She didn't flinch as the darkened mare came into her refugee, her place of solitude and nightmares and dreams. Normally she would have flinched, and she didn't flinch. Not a single muscle moved. Her sides still heaved a little, tears dripping from her eyes, nostrils flared, as glazed eyes stared blankly at the entrance to the cell.

More movement, and the blue flanked mare appeared. Distaste might have filled her mind had she the capability to pull herself together. Distaste at the thought that the mare who had saved her herb box was so friendly with the mare who she still was yet to trust. But no. Just a blank stare, tears falling, and ear cocking awkwardly to the side  - a sign of defeat.

Valiance was done with this entire thing by now, though, so he was the first to take the initiative.  He dug his talons into her flesh against her shoulder. He was careful not to tear at any muscle, just wanting to shock her, to draw blood.  And blood was what he got - a slow trickle - and a jerk of her muscles in her shoulder as she snorted uncertainly. "They asked you a question," Valiance hissed, flapping his wings near her face trying to get some kind of movement from her - something that might result in her screaming at him in her head (at the very least, outloud would be preferable though).

She didn't react, though. Not in the least. "Don't make me burn you damn canopy and garden. I don't want to - but if it will make you move then I won't hesitate," he barked, eyes narrowing in despair before Resplendence began to move.  Her head lifted, eyes looking at the puncture wounds on her shoulder before turning to Valiance. "Don't you dare," her voice was husky, as if it hadn't been used in a while, and it was far quieter than normal. Which (of course) made her appear so much scarier to Valiance than if she had ended up yelling at him.

Quickly, he retreated - trying to take residence atop Kota's withers, should she allow it. Then, she slowly turned her face back toward the two mares at her doorstep. Why was she crying? Because everything was wrong and no one could fix it. "Quilyan. Rue. Gone." she whispered, voice unable to go much louder after the sobbing she had partaken in before the other two had appeared. "Can't save them. What if they need me? I can't find them if they need me." She trembled, eyes falling shut as she whispers out the last broken sentence. "Everyone I love…. Gone… leaves me…" A choked sob, "… alone…"

Sorry for the wait guys! D:
@Ktulu @Lakota

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu the Constrictor
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

"Don't you dare."

Don't they dare what, exactly?

Ktulu's ears slicked back against her head at the sound of Resplendence's voice, husky and dark in ways that she'd never heard it before. It was several moments before she realized that the meek little healer was speaking to the red dragon that had caught her attention as he'd flown around the entrance of the prison cell. Her muscles twitched as Lakota brushed her muzzle against her side, but Ktulu's gaze remained trained on the medic who was reduced to nothing more than a weeping mess that was completely and utterly useless to anyone who needed anything that didn't require tears.

Her mouth remained closed, teeth pressed tightly together as she waited for Resplendence to get it together and answer the question she'd asked. Why are you crying? When she finally did, though Ktulu had no idea who Quilyan or Rue were, she knew the pain of loss so she could understand how Resplendence felt. Having someone taken away was never easy and would never be easy to cope with, but then the rosy mare said that they left her. That everyone she loved left her and Ktulu snorted.

"So what are you going to do?" She asked, her voice gruff as it usually was. "Laying on the ground crying and being pathetic won't bring them back and it won't keep anyone else from leaving." Honestly, the state she was in was enough to drive anyone away and Ktulu had half a mind to leave her laying there wallowing in her tears and self pity. 

"Stand up, get your shit together, and be the medic that you're supposed to be. The state you're in makes you useless to anyone that needs you." Ktulu had been there. She'd wallowed in her own self pity until she fought Archibald and he'd brought her back to reality in the harshest way possible, but she'd needed it. 

"...alone..."

"Look around you." Ktulu demanded of the other mare. "You're the one that made your home in a prison cell that most avoid. You're the one that isolated yourself. If you don't want to be alone stop separating yourself from everyone. Stop waiting for and crying over someone that obviously doesn't care enough about you to even ask you to leave with him. And for God's sake, woman, have some dignity and self worth." She cut herself off rather abruptly and stood staring at Resplendence, wondering how the medic would take to being spoken to in such a manner by someone that she'd made pretty obvious she didn't trust or care for. But it was Ktulu's job as warrior to protect the herd and she would do so, even in situations like this, where she had to protect someone from their own self destruction.

"."

Image by ChaoticMelodies

Icon by Tay

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

Lakota & Ktulu
The Poisoner & The Constrictor

As if the two were crafted of the same flesh and soul, Lakota's ears sliced back like daggers at Resplendence's first husky words just as Ktulu's did. But, more used to Valiance than Ktulu, she caught on a tad faster. She did the same with Aodaun, after all, though verbal words were unnecessary when it came to those bonded by soul. Or was Valiance still too young for such a total, unimpeded connection? As Aodaun had grown older their power together had grown, until he could overtake her vision with his own, until they seemed to flow back and forth so seamlessly there could never possibly be any distinction between them any longer. Still, though the words had not been directed at her, they placed her upon edge. One dull, echoing thud of her hoof upon the earth and she was drawing up closer to Ktulu's side, edging past the tattered curtain and staring down upon the crumpled, broken medic. 

The names were not totally familiar to her, but she'd been part of the medical circle, knew the name Rue at least. "Mate and foal," she said in the barest whisper to Ktulu, the tiny crinkle of confusion around her mate's eyes familiar to the Poisoner. Her eyes never strayed from Resplendence, for they did not need to. She and Ktulu were always on the same wavelength regardless. Though for a moment her heart ached with phantom, empathetic agony. If she ever lost Murtagh...or Ktulu for that matter. She couldn't imagine the pain that would accompany that kind of life. But she would never be this. In fact she would throw herself into her work, because Ktulu would have been ashamed of her to have broken down so far. She would do their memories proud, she would not wallow like an angsting child until death claimed her. If she wanted to die, she would do it the right way, not this slowburn agony. At least have the decency to die with pride if you want it so badly, she thought venomously, but Ktulu was already speaking and so she held her tongue. For now. 

"You can't help them if they're gone, or dead. But you're making everyone else suffer by laying there limp and crying. This is your job. You are hurting others with your selfishness. Either get yourself together, or sacrifice your title to me," she said coolly, silk over a silver dagger. She had despised her uselessness, chalked it up to favoritism when it came to Kaj doting on the brindled baby. At least she hadn't minded, not when she was heavily pregnant with Murtagh, and not when she was raising him. But he was capable of taking care of himself now, and if she needed to, she would wrest Resplendence's title from her forcefully. "You have one thing, at least, to still live for. Mourn them, if you must. This? This is not mourning. This isn't even living, much less capable of being respected." She cast her sharp violet gaze around the prison cell, maw twisted into a ghost of a sneer. 

"This is defeat."

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

What was she going to do? The words seemed to ring violently in her ears. She couldn't do anything. That was the damn problem with this entire situation. Sure, she could stitch up wounds - but she couldn't actually do much else. What use was that when the herd was thriving, was doing perfectly fine on their own?

She had stuttered out words, except she didn't really recall what had even slipped from her mouth. Her thoughts were so jumbled - so shattered. It had been so long that she'd clung onto the hope that she would have them back, that when they had disappeared this last time it had ruined her. Useless to anyone who needed her. "I can heal while crying," she whispered - voice so low and quiet it barely even registered. The horrid images of her nightmares, of being unable to save anyone that she loved, of always having to be alone, were flashing vividly across the bond that Valiance and she shared. They were horrid, truly horrid. So horrid in fact, that Valiance was wincing and had tried to curl up on Lakota's back - feathered wings wrapping around his face as he cowered at the images.

All the blood. All the open wounds. All too late to be saved because she hadn't been there… because they had left her, and then when they needed her she couldn't get there fast enough. Still, it was Valiance who sparked any kind of fury in Resplendence - who had become so lost in these images she hadn't really heard too much (or rather, garnered the meaning of what had been spoken). "Kota wants your title. She wants to take away the one thing that made you useful." He warns her and her eyes snap up. There is a darkness, a hatred, sparked deep in her eyes. The golden irises seemed to flicker like flames at the edges - a reflection of the power that Valiance harbored and which Res had always hid deep and dared to not pull out.

Resplendence clambers to her feet - albeit awkwardly. Her one ear is pinned, and she cannot help but to glare at the pair of them. "You will not take away the one thing I have left!" she hisses, Valiance uncurling from his fetal position as she nightmares before her began to fade. "The second anyone calls I am there. All I do is give and give and give! No one cares! No one wants to stay! If you take this away no one would even notice me! At least now my invisible self can help people from time to time!" Her voice is loud, showing a strength that had only been seen once before - when she had been fighting to keep Quilyan alive, to try and find her  children.

She may not have truly heard all of what Ktulu or Lakota had just said to her - but I would suppose her subconscious had filled in the gaps, to have her snap back. "I deserve the position of medic. I know countless herbs, I've healed many, and I've worked to try and teach others - even if they dare not listen, I had offered the opportunities. I fought in the Edge Invasion, and I healed in this most recent one. I'm in this damn prison cell because it protects me from the weather and keeps my herbs safe. It is just like the nook I had made for myself in the Edge, except now it's a refurbished prison cell."

Finally, she shifted her gaze to Valiance who had taken his place at her hooves. "What am I supposed to do? How do you get someone you care so deeply about to want to stay - to care the same about you? It's as though I'm destined to hand my heart out and to have it snubbed in the dirt each time. What makes you so much better than me that you get the family?" Her voice is solemn. It is uncertain, and it shows the true pain she has been feeling - though her eyes are still flickering with the fire, and her body… it still wants to fight.

@Ktulu

When I'm ready to fall
With love