the Rift

[OPEN] Now Or Never

Thantos Posts: 26
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 6.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.1 hands :: 7 Frostfalls HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
xyroca
The fight was over, the war had been won. Helovians and Rifters had joined forces together to take down the demented, sickly 'gods' that had tormented our homelands and ravaged the souls and bodies of their people. I had never thought of myself as 'sickly' or 'infected' by the tainted ways of our ancients, although when I stood beside considerably plainer looking Helovians, the differences were striking. Because of our differences alone, along with the natural distrust they held for those that had crossed into the Rift, I had limited my contact with Helovians for the most part. Save for one, Ranjiri. At every battle of the gods, she had displayed the utmost loyalty to Helovia and her Gods, throwing herself into the realms of battle without fear. It was a refreshing sight, to see a mare so dedicated to her morals, even it was out of stubbornness. There was a time or two that I had believed it would have been better for her to sit out on the sidelines, yet she had proven me wrong time and time again since the first time we had met.

Hell, even us meeting had been...Less than conventional. But we had shown each other respect, each wary of the others intentions yet putting aside our differences and trusting in each other. I wasn't so sure of how her Sultana had felt about me, when I had followed to express my gratitude for their participation against the ancient Bear God. Yet, the golden and black mare had yet to express any sort of distaste for my company. And now that the battles were over, the last of our ancient Rift gods destroyed, I was only unsure for a moment of where I should turn from here.  Ranjiri had spoken of a land...The Dragon's Throat. It was her home, full of warriors that had participated in the battles and proven their worth. For a former Captain of the Guards, disgraced and shamed for his attempt to free his people, it seemed like the perfect place for me to seek a fresh start. I would accept any retribution that they ordered against me, knowing I deserved every last bit of it for the innocent lives that I had unintentionally brought to an end.

So, after asking for some guidance from a stranger for the location of the Dragon's Throat, I found myself soaring across the skies to the west. I wasn't entirely sure what I was looking for, relying on the hope that I would know it when I saw it. So, I stuck to the beaches of the mainland, golden orbs scanning the ocean's horizon for any sign of the island. Sure enough, a distant, non-moving mass gave away the location of the Dragon's Throat. Rather than changing course and heading straight for the island, I dipped my wings and slowly guided back down to the mainland. Gingerly, I limped on my left foreleg, the raw wounds of fresh burns from the flaming tar oozing with pus, despite the additional protection of my dragon scales.

Tucking my battered wings against my barrel, I turned to face the direction of the island that I had hoped I would be welcomed into. Perhaps, with the additional voucher of the ebony and gold mare, I would be granted access. Until then, I waited patiently to be noticed. The last thing I needed was for the herd to think I was trying to invade their home and spread my 'diseased magic' all around. As far as I knew, I was not a contagious being, and the last God of Helovia seemed to have relieved all the souls of the illnesses that had haunted them. Perhaps, with some luck, they would not be too distrusting. Not to say that I could not blame them, but after all...It was their Gods that brought us here in the first place.

OOC: Thantos is seeking to join the Throat. Open to anyone!  @Ranjiri

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

Once the fight with the tigress was over I had left and gone home because I couldn't take the smell of blood anymore. I couldn't handle the screams and cries of those that were injured physically and the heart-wrenching screams of the ones that lost someone precious to them. I didn't even want the vial of blood that the Earth God tossed to me, but I still picked it up and I flew away as fast as my wings could carry me. Home. I just wanted to go home. Even after I got home I still managed to keep myself separated from everyone because I assumed that all the talk they could offer would be about the last fight and the trinkets that they'd gotten after the Earth God divvied up the spoils. (I had thought he'd be different, but he was no different than any of the others.)

It seemed, however, that I was not to be alone for much longer. I was still lingering near the borders so I saw Thantos as he flew and landed on the opposite beach. Honestly, it was hard to miss someone as huge and red as he was. The only reason he would be there, I assumed, was because he wanted to be part of the Throat (which made me happy). I did wonder why he would choose to stand on the beach opposite the Throat where it would be harder for him to be noticed instead of landing in the Throat, on the border.

Borders, I realized and I snorted.

So I took to the air and I flew to him to with the main goal of inviting him in because he was my friend and I trusted him. If he had ever wanted to hurt me he could have done it the first time I met him when I was dragging my wing everywhere I walked. Instead he had supported my wing with his own (until I took off because Megaera had called for me)

"Thantos!" I called out his name as I landed near him and tucked my wings against my sides. I was smiling as I closed the distance between us and I extended my muzzle in greeting. "Why are you waiting out here?"

"."

mother make me, make me a big grey cloud
      so i can rain on you things i can't say out loud
image credits

@Thantos

aud pixel!

Nephele Posts: 82
Dragon's Throat Guardian atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3 :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Atreus :: Lammergeier :: None Nova

With the battle still ingrained heavily in her mind, Nephele had finished up at the Riptide Isles and had accepted Maren's gracious invitation to use her boat to the main land, allowing her wing the precious time to relax and recuperate once her hooves had firmly touched mainland shore. The moment it had proven to be flight ready again, the warrioress had taken to the sky with a great sweep of the magnificent sails and made a decisive bank to the south, heading towards the sand washed island she and many others called home. There would be time, and a meeting no doubt, to discuss to the events on the island — some would no doubt boast of a fight well fought, while others would be silent and contemplative.

Either way, the thoughts were pushed out of the statuesque mares mind as she flew homeward. Even as she did so with earnest to reflect and simply exist within the boundaries of their mighty roost, it did not mean she would ignore her duties as a Warrior and protector of her new family and herd land. Ice blue and molten gold spotted two unusual dots upon the mainland before the short flight towards the Dragon's Throat, the black and gold had just landed while it appeared the red and black had been grounded before the formers arrival. Curiosity thoroughly captured, and the duty to investigate those outside the borders, the great black mare descended gracefully from the sky.

Back hooves landed in the sand first, sinking beneath the warm grains as the rest of her obisidian mass made contact with the earth, giant wings swept forward in one last powerful stroke before nestling against her sides. She had purposely landed a respectable distance from the stranger and her herdmate, not wanting to startle them by suddenly landing within reach of the two, casting a question gaze between the two before taking a step forward.

"Greetings." She offered with a small nod to the duo, letting out a breathy snort, war painted neck stretching momentarily. The newcomer was maybe the largest stallion she had laid her eyes upon, a fraction taller than Tembovu perhaps, a feat that prompted a margin of instant respect. The fact he was draconic in appearance was a whole other topic to question later. The mare however, was smaller than she, not by much and out shined her greatly in terms of colouration — something she couldn't help but be marginally envious of. "I'm Nephele, or Neph, if you prefer. I'm a Warrior of the Dragon's Throat. " Finding it best to introduce herself first, momentarily pausing when she spotted that the stallion was injured. "And you are?"

@Thantos @Ranjiri

“She was beautiful, but she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful: something to be admired from a distance, not up close.” 

― Terry Pratchett
Please tag Neph in all replies!
Force & violence permitted with the exception of maiming & death

xyroca
A shadow in the skies caught my attention, drawing my eyes up to the familiar form of Ranjiri as she soared across the water to meet with me. Straightening up, an old habit from my former rank, I was unsure of how to react towards her outstretched muzzle. Even friendly nose bumps were not something that were customary between the warriors and guards of Urd, a touch that was limited towards close relationships at best. So, I merely dipped my muzzle politely and offered her a friendly smile, careful to keep my lips together to avoid appearing flashing my fangs and appearing threatening. "Greetings, Ranjiri." My voice rumbled, smoke escaping my lips from the pent up power of the magic that the Sun God had blessed me with. Horns tilted to the side as she asked why I waited, auds flicking back for a moment as I wondered what she meant by that. What was I waiting out here for? Why not over on the island? Why was I even at the edge of the mainland? Ever blunt and to the point, I answered her question with the familiar struggling growl. Regular speech was becoming a little easier with every conversation, though I doubted that I would ever be able to completely hide the strange rumble that came from the dragon's blood coursing through my veins. "I did not want to appear intrusive to your leaders, I am aware that my kind are under speculation right now."

Another pegasus had soon joined us, my ears flicking forward with curiosity to study the smaller mare. She was not nearly as extravagant in color, though she was adorned with some sort of paint on her neck that caught my interest. It was her bi-colored eyes that held my focus though, not used to seeing such a unique feature on an otherwise plain woman. Respectfully, I dipped my muzzle to mirror her nod as she introduced herself. "A pleasure, Nephele. I am Thantos, I come seeking permission to join the Dragon's Throat. I hope to prove myself worthy to your herd and leaders." The ember-like glow of my scales and horns flared for just a second as I cast a hopeful gaze towards the island, half wondering if there would be anyone else joining the small meeting. They certainly were quick to notice a stranger lingering closely to their herd, it was a positive sign that I would enjoy dedicating myself to their warrior positions.

I couldn't recall if I had seen Nephele at any of the battle of the gods, albeit I didn't exactly have time to memorize every face that had been present on those days. It would be to my benefit if she, or anyone else aside from just Ranjiri, had recognized that I fought alongside the Helovians to destroy the Rift Gods that had abandoned my people centuries ago. I was unsure on just how strict they were in regards to those seeking to join, unsure of the critical eyes and judgements that I may need to pass in order to call myself a citizen in their walls. Perhaps my participation and friendship with Ranjiri alone could grant me a trial entry to the herd. However, I would not...could not, hold anyone at fault if they decided to turn me away. Knowing the history that I had, no matter how good my intentions and causes, I would be as equally cautious to offer acceptance.

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

My head tilted as Thantos spoke his greeting and smoke slipped past his lips. "...that's new." I murmured, but I guess it shouldn't have surprised me that a dragon horse had smoke slip past his lips as he spoke. I think that the surprising part was that it had never happened before (that I could remember) in all the times that I had spoken with him. Of course if I had paid more attention during the last god battle I would have seen him breathe fire at the tigress, but ... I hadn't paid much attention to him after he told me to watch out for the creepy skeleton horse. (Seriously, what kind of weird things went on in this world that our gods had taken land from?)

"I did not want to appear intrusive to your leaders, I am aware that my kind are under speculation right now."

I snorted softly at that. "You fought to protect Helovia more than once." I pointed out even if I really didn't need to. "Why would you be under speculation?" Honestly, what else could he do to prove that he wasn't a bad guy? Climb to the top of the Veins and shout it out for the whole world and the gods to hear? "And you're my friend. I'm inviting you in." I looked him over, then, spotting the burns that I assumed he had gotten in the last battle. "Besides ... we have a healer in the Throat that can ..."

But my voice trailed and I turned as another mare arrived and by the way she carried herself I automatically assumed she was a warrior before she introduced herself as such. "Hello, Nephele." I offered the warrior mare a smile. "I'm Ranjiri, Dragon Throat Artisan." I said because I had never met the other mare before. My attention returned to Thantos as he introduced himself and said that he wanted to join. He'd already met Megaera so I was fairly sure that she would welcome him, especially since she knew that he'd fought for Helovia. But at that point I guessed that only time would tell if she (and Gaucho) would welcome him as openly as I had.

"."

mother make me, make me a big grey cloud
      so i can rain on you things i can't say out loud
image credits

@Thantos @Nephele

aud pixel!

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily

AMANI

I had left the Throat, thinking about heading out to patrol. I hadn't gone far, before changing my mind. Patrolling alone was not a good idea, so I needed to return and find the ones I was supposed to be patrolling with. After all, what good would it be if something happens and I can't make it back to warn my family? Or worse, something attacks me and I can't defend myself. Yes, turning back to try and find the others sounds like a good idea.

As I fly back across the gap of water that had formerly been land, I notice a small gathering. Being curious, I turn and dive down, landing not far off on the border away from the Throat. It does not take me long to recognize two of the three figures. Ranjiri and Thantos, along with one I didn't know. I move forward, eager to see both again. Introductions were being given as I got in ear shot. "Ranjiri, Thantos. I greeted the pair I knew warmly before adding my own. "Amani, Dragon's Throat Apostle. I nod to the one who had called herself Nephele.

"It's good to see you again Thantos. How are you adjusting to Helovia?" I had been nervous and shy around him at first, as we had just fought against one of the Rift Gods and Ranjiri's wing had been badly hurt. I had been more interested in making sure my patrol partner made it home than anything else. Now, I had the time to be me more friendly self.

"their speech goes here and this is the color

ooc: throwing her in here, feel free to skip her

Please Tag Amani in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Amani at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
unarchived per request

xyroca
THANTOS

As the only person that I could even consider a friend in this new world scoffed at the idea of my being under speculation, I tilted my head to the side with slight confusion. Yes, I had done all that I could to serve and protect those of Helovia from the demons that our ancient Gods had transformed into, but it did not mean that I would automatically earn the respect of the leaders who had not yet to meet me. Yes, I met Ranjiri's Sultana when I guided her back to her group and supported her wing, but I hadn't exactly received a welcoming committee. My ears flicked back against my horns almost sheepishly as she extended her invitation, unsure of how to react to such an informal act of joining a herd.

"Your Sultana...Your leaders...Will they accept me on your word? I don't wish to be mistaken than I belong only to be turned away once they realize I have entered." Never mind the fact that I was basically a walking, talking mascot for this 'Dragon's Throat'. No matter how much that I felt I would belong in this herd, it wouldn't feel appropriate nor finalized unless I was granted access by one of the higher ranks. Our small group began to grow even larger when another familiar figure joined us, the petite mare that had taken over Ranjiri's care once I left them with their group. My lips pulled back into a smile, careful to keep my sharpened teeth hidden to avoid appearing threatening. "A pleasure, Miss Amani. Helovia has been very, very different from what I am used too. But I am quite enamored with it already. I should hope to remain here for a long time."

"Speaking."