the Rift

[OPEN] Poetry & Fuel

Dacianna Posts: 55
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 4 Y/O HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
imi

It was nice to walk and not look behind. Though plagued by the burns on her back she still managed to appreciate the beauty before her feet. A tropical paradise for those brave enough to weather the strong sea current and after that was more of this Helovia. Dacianna sighed and winced, she wanted to go see more of the place, but her injuries routed her to the spot. They weren’t too bad, but they weren’t comfortable either. Instead she lingered on the islands waiting for someone to come and explain something more about this place. The old sod who had brought them here had simply dragged them into a war, said his peace and left! The blue mare wasn’t sure whether to be immensely grateful or extremely annoyed. She settled somewhere between simmering anger and bubbling joy as her thoughts flipped between kissing his endearing face and shaving his entire beard off. She muttered and cooed, danced and plodded, until finally she came to a halt and gazed across the land.

"Ahhhh! So grand" she sang. Liberation was beautiful. 

The sun broke through the clouds and Daci stepped back into the shade as the heat of the sun aggravated her burns. She decided to stand under the canopy of a rather large tree that flourished in summers touch and the odd songbird sang in its arms. She thought back to her time in the Rift and the perpetual darkness, the feeling of being watched and being pounced on by warped monsters. She thought back again to a time before that, when she had been but a slave to her own herd, a herd that sought precious gold that lay hidden in their mountain range. At least, the stallions did. The mares were nothing, only worth as much as the amount of sons they bore, sons that could mine the mountains. Dacianna had taken part in a revolt and earned her freedom, only briefly, but the feelings from that day were the same as what she felt now. It was almost tense, she felt like she had to constantly look behind her, as if another rift would suddenly open up and snatch paradise from her again.  

Surely she had already done her lifetimes worth of hardship, but the blue mare was afraid there would be more. At four years old she’d seen enough, if she could have it her way she would now gallop off into the sunset and live out her days happily ever after. Why didn’t it ever work like that?! She though a disgruntled frown to the canopy of leaves above her and shook her head in disgust at the world. If there could be but one fairy-tale in the world could the world not give it to her. 

She laughed.

What ridiculous thoughts, but somehow it made her happier. The sky was blue and nature breathed; this land was alive and she had been rescued.

For now, it would do. 

Open thread for ehuhnrm herd recruitment? or anything else xD 
@Alysanne & @Iona ??
Don't let the curtain catch you, cause you've been here before,
The chair is an island darling, you can't touch the floor
--------------------------
force permitted / please tag me

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

"It can turn the whole world upside down, shake it 'til the sky falls to the ground. 
We don't have to reap the fear they sow, friends, as long as we hide our love away, 
In the good they'll never know."

Iona wasn’t sure what she had been expecting to find when she followed Aly out to these islands, but all that unfolded was certainly beyond her imagination.  Things had quieted now, and Iona felt the overwhelming pressure in her chest relent now that she knew that Alysanne and little Naerys were safe. 

Iona didn’t have a full grip on the situation though – she didn’t have the whys and the hows figured out.  She was still too new to this place.  Maybe Alysanne would have a better idea. However, she certainly didn’t.  Following the battle, she had decided to stick around the islands for a few days before returning home to the Edge.  She imagined having some idea about the islands, what lived here, their layout, and the like would be befeficial to say the very least.

The painted pegasus continued to survey the island from above now that things seemed more secure.  At least she hoped things were more secure.  She wasn’t sure she could take another round of, well, whatever that had been.  She flew lazily, her green eyes flickering across the strange landscape below.  Iona had never frequented the tropics, so she figured there was no time like the present.  The mare caught movement out of the corner of her eye, a shape slipping beneath the branches. Intrigued, she circled around, and the form of an equine materialized below.  Shifting her wings, Iona angled towards the ground.  When her feet found the spongy earth below, Iona made her way over to the figure.

As she grew closer, she realized she recognized the mare as one of those that had stepped through the portal that had started the whole battle.  Iona kept her defenses up, but still dipped her head in greeting.  Those that had come through the portal had fought against the tiger as well.  She imagined there was quite the story that she knew very little about.  While reserving judgment was not one of her strengths, she did her best.  “You came through that portal, right?” Iona asked, though she knew the answer.  What a way to break the ice, Iona. It was then that she noticed the wounds on the woman’s back.  Iona had been lucky and had walked away from the battle with no injuries, it was clear this mare hadn’t been as fortunate.  “Are you okay?  Do you need a healer?  My sister’s a healer, I’m sure I could find her for you,”  Iona rambled, hurriedly. She took a deep breath and shook her head.  “Sorry.  I’m Iona.  I’m from the World’s Edge.  My sister Alysanne is a healer – she’s on the island too,”  she managed, more calmly this time.

“Where did you come from?” she asked, before realizing it was probably rude and adding, “If you don’t mind me asking.”

I O N A

image credits 

Awkward Iona is Awkward. 
@Dacianna @Alysanne

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
A
L
Y
S
A
N
N
E
Alysanne hadn’t looked after her own wounds after the battle was over, she was too busy trying to find her family members. They had all scattered, briefly causing her to wonder if she could get a magic that allowed her to track those pesky blood relatives of hers. Naerys was turning out more like Iona every day, always willing to jump into the fight. The pegasus wouldn’t forgive herself for not being fast enough to stop her - she would have sat on the girl to keep her out of that fight. She, too, had stuck around - but wandered the Isles by foot instead of by air as her sister did. She thought that she had spotted the dark figure once or twice, certain that eventually the two of them would cross paths. So she would continue looking for that flighty daughter of hers.

But, of course, her daughter was nowhere to be found and it ended up being the sister that she happened upon first.

One family member found, one to go.

“Iona! There you are, are you alright?” She moved quickly over, wincing as the movements jostled her burned wings against her side, before realizing that her sister wasn’t alone. She managed to catch the last little bit of Iona’s rambling and looked to the stranger to see the wounds there. Her concern easily doubled to involve this horned mare, her healer nature taking over with no effort at all. It was so natural for her to feel worry over a complete stranger - bright green eyes, the exact same as the other pegasus mare she stood beside now, were sad as she looked at the burns.  “Are you alright, dear? My name’s Alysanne, the sister.” She grinned then, her expression softening as she teased Iona about the multiple ‘she’s a healer’s that her greeting had been peppered with. “I can heal that up quickly if you’d like.” Always she offered first, never making assumptions on whether her help would be welcome or not.

table by sevin | image by abba | Image Credit

@Dacianna
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

imi

The breeze tugged at her tangled mane and a sound, a thud kind of sound, drifted into her ears putting her on pins. She watched the creature walk towards her and remained very still. It was a mare; a pretty monochrome female with wings and Dacianna watched her with interest. Wings were rare in the place she had been born, but in the battle she had seen quite a few that had been blessed with flight, it was a pity the scene was so violent otherwise the blue roan would’ve enjoyed seeing such beauty in motion. Still, Daci watched her warily with her ears flickering this way and that as she was uncertain what to expect of these Helovians. She had fought alongside them, but why were they all there in the first place? It was almost as if they were expecting a fight to happen. Had this happened before? Was this normal? Perhaps foreigners were not so welcome here or, at least, their evil Gods anyway.

Words slipped from the stranger’s mouth, not a welcome, but a question instead. The blue roan nodded carefully, the uncertainty showing in her gaze that lingered on this painted mare "yes, your Earth God led us" she replied. The elderly looking goliath owned a rather trustworthy face and so Dacianna had followed him with a relative ease. She didn’t know he was going to lead them straight into a battle. She didn’t have chance to say more on the subject, however, as suddenly she was being fussed over as the stranger appeared to have noticed her charred condition.

A healer? Dacianna wondered if she meant like the healers she had seen on the battlefield, the one-eared mare that had cared for the unconscious filly alongside a white-faced stallion. Were they the healers of Helovia? Yet, they had healed with magic and that was something Dacianna knew nothing of. She remained silent for a moment, letting the stranger introduce herself as Iona and her sister as Alysanne.

As if summoned by her own name, Daci turned her attention quickly to another who had arrived, so this was Alysanne. They looked alike, these sisters, almost like twins. She also spoke kindly and the roan could feel her shoulders beginning to relax, her breathing becoming more normal as she realized that she was in no danger. In fact, she may have been blessed. "Compared to some of the others I’ve seen, I’m quite alright" she replied with a crooked smile "though if you can help me I would welcome it kindly, thank you both of you" she began to shift a little closer to Alysanne. Even though this foreign power frightened her, the burns on her back were much more concerning and Dacianna was quite interested as to how this mare would heal her.

"I’m Dacianna of-" of where?! She looked startled for a moment, since she had run away from her former home and fallen into the rift, where on earth was she from? "Nowhere in particular" she quietly finished with a dejected sort of sadness in her voice. "I’ve lived in the Rift world for quite a while though that is not where I was born. I was born in a living world like this and was captured by the Rift. Your God saved us" she explained the best she could and began to smile as she looked around the Isles. "This land is beautiful" she murmured in awe before remembering something Iona had said earlier.

"What is the Worlds Edge?" she asked Iona, finding the term quite interesting.

@Iona @Alysanne

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

"It can turn the whole world upside down, shake it 'til the sky falls to the ground. 
We don't have to reap the fear they sow, friends, as long as we hide our love away, 
In the good they'll never know."

Iona was immediately relieved to see Alysanne. She knew that her sister wasn’t a figher, though she would fight to the death for her family if the circumstances called for it.  Thankfully, today didn’t call for such sacrifices.  Some of the tension that had coiled around Iona’s heart unwound slightly as she did a quick once-over of her sister, insuring all was well. She caught the poorly-covered wince and could see plainly how gingerly her sister carried her wings.  Maybe not everyone would notice, but Iona was an expert in all things Aly (just as Aly could read her like a book).

Her greeting, if you could call it that, was peppered with redundant information and didn’t even contain a greeting.  Gods, she was surprised they even let her leave the Edge some days.  But now, knowing Alysanne was safe and Dacianna could get her wounds tended to, the thoughts in her mind slowed considerably. Don’t ramble, she thought, resolutely, to herself. 

“Ah, well. A lot of us were from nowhere in particular before we came to Helovia,” Iona offered, trying to put the mare at ease. Such was certainly the case for Alysanne and herself – they’d been from everywhere and nowhere before each finding Helovia years apart from the other.  “Though, admittedly, most of us didn’t make quite as dramatic an entrance as you did,” she added, with a wry smile.  

Iona, blessedly, manages to keep herself quiet and offers a moment for Alysanne to work her magic on the Riftian’s burns.  “Aly, your wings too…” Iona added, knowing that Alysanne would neglect her own injuries if it meant healing others. It was only then that she directed her attention back to the blue roan mare’s inquiry about the Edge. 

”I’m surprised I didn’t say more in my opening ramble” Iona began, with a theatrical sigh, but laughter was alight in her bright green eyes as she focused her gaze on the foreign mare. “The World’s Edge is a herd here in Helovia – in the west on the sea cliffs.  It’s quite something, and above all it is safe and accepting.  If you need a place to stay, you’d be welcome there,” she offered honestly, glancing to Aly before returning her gaze to the Rift-mare.

Iona felt quite confident in her offer – she’d seen no discrimination in the Edge and couldn’t imagine that they wouldn’t accept someone of Dacianna’s background.  She certainly could attest to its safety, so she felt confident in that promise.

I O N A

image credits || Tags: @Alysanne @Dacianna 

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
A
L
Y
S
A
N
N
E
Her offer of healing was accepted, much to Alysanne’s relief. She wasn’t sure that she would have been able to turn and walk away without healing Dacianna, as she introduced herself. Iona’s comment about her own wings met with a sideways glance and a flick of her ear. Yes sister. But her full attention remained forward.  “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Dacianna. You would most definitely be welcome to come to the World’s Edge with us.” She mirrored Iona’s sentiments with sincere warmth, the light-and-dark twins smiling at the stranger with identical sets of emerald eyes.

As Dacianna shifted closer to her, Alysanne took the opportunity to get a better look at the burns. They weren’t too bad, no, but they were definitely something that should be taken care of. “Just stay still, I promise it won’t hurt you. I’ll show you on myself first.” That hadn’t been her original intention but she knew, under Iona’s hawk-like gaze, that she wouldn’t be able to get away with faking healing her own injuries. Her sister was not above pushing her way underneath Alysanne’s wings to check to see if it had been taken care of.

Alysanne wasn’t sure how much experience Dacianna had with magic but she knew it had been alarming to some when the shadowy mist came forward. It was a subtle magic but it was nonetheless magic and she did not want to startle the kind mare unnecessarily. Her mane and the feathers of her wings rustled as she gathered the magic and focused it on herself - she would just make the burns more comfortable as she was unwilling to drain herself of energy before taking care of the worse injuries on this friendly mare. She unfolded her wings just slightly so that they could see the shadowy mist caress her skin, her feathers, leaving behind pink skin where burning blisters had been moments ago.

With a smile, she looked to Dacianna and tilted her head questioningly - looking for a nod that confirmed that it was okay for her to continue. Once she was sure it was safe to do so, she easily focused the magic on the other - encouraging it to wash over Dacianna’s beautiful form in a gentle bath, taking away the pain and the injuries that had caused it. It was the first time she had used this particular magic in front of her sister, but they were no strangers to the diverse world of magic. Green eyes focused carefully on her work, her body moving to take a lap around Dacianna as she did so to check to see if there was anything left behind that she could not see from the other side. Once she was satisfied that the mare was healed to the best of her abilities, she resumed her spot next to Iona - weary but content. “Better?” The soft smile that she was maintaining was easy in the present company - if Alysanne knew how to pull herself together for anything it was to be a healer. This, at least, was something she knew that she could do.

table by sevin | image by abba | Image Credit

@Dacianna @Iona
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

imi

Worlds Edge it sounded slightly ominous but tempting. Somewhere you shouldn’t go, but you did anyway. Perhaps she shouldn’t be taking the name so literally. "Ahh I wish it hadn't been so dramatic… I’m sorry for the mess we caused" she offered awkwardly, it wasn’t really her fault, but Dacianna still felt like she should apologise for it anyway. Their God had saved her after all and by being saved by him, she had inadvertently caused the deaths and injuries of others. If she had known what would happen, Dacianna would have remained in the Rift, despite how evil it was. It made her feel incredibly indebted and mightily uncomfortable with just being here, let alone being offered a place to stay as these two were doing now. It was then that she learned that the Worlds Edge was a herd and not, in fact, the actual point where the world ended. A herd? It had been a long time since she had been apart of a herd and the last one she had run away from. Still, what choice did she have? She could wander around, but for some reason that wasn’t quite as appealing as going back to the place these two mares called home. Maybe it was time to have a real home again, to feel the warmth of family and forget the cold darkness of the Rift.

"I would love to come back with you to your home" she accepted the offer heartily and thus sealing the next part of her journey. Daci didn’t know how things worked here, but perhaps being in a herd would enlighten her to this new culture and how it worked. Did they live in a similar way that she could relate to? Or were they completely different? Perhaps she’d have to adapt more and let go of everything she knew to be normal, adjust to their normal. The Helovia normal; whatever that was.

Her thoughts were cut short there as the mare named Alysanne told her to remain still and Dacianna stood silently, watching her inspect her own injuries that she too had suffered in the fight. Burns, much like her own, but they didn’t remain long. The roan mare’s eyes widened in surprise as a black mist came forth from the healer and settled over her wings before dissipating leaving only pink skin where the burns had once been. Magic! Did every horse here possess such powers? Before she could contemplate it more the healer was looking at her now with a gaze that asked permission. Slowly, Dacianna nodded and remained deathly still as the mists washed over her body, her eyes still wide as she watched it engulf her and the pain ebbed away until there was nothing left but a question.

For a moment she stood silent in shock, Dacianna had met healers before, but healers who used natural resources and it took them days or months or even years to heal some ailments. Yet, this mare had healed her in a matter of minutes. "Amazing" she cooed as she began to walk around, as if she was testing it out much better, thank you. What a beautiful gift you have" she smiled in gratitude. "I hope I haven’t tired you out too much" the guilt was already beginning to set in, if it wasn’t for these mares, perhaps she’d have been stuck on the Isles for a lot longer.

She wondered if they would return home now and, realising that she could not fly like they could, she cocked her head to one side. "Your home is to the West you say? I shall report there then" she looked westward with a curiosity before turning back to the pair "thank you for healing me and offering me a place to stay. You’ve offered me more help than I could ever have hoped for, please let me repay you one day" she said the last part as more of a statement that they weren’t allowed to argue with.

[amg so sorry its late! We can end it here if you like? Since the thread is getting a little old now :3]

@Iona