[PRIVATE] It's the end of the world as we know it

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
E r t h ë
"And now I wish to God that The earth would turn cold
And my heart would forget it's made of glass"

Now that she finally found a healer, the filly began to feel nervous. Following the chestnut mare away from the others, with the scent of blood and mucus and newborn babies still clinging to her nose, Erthë tried to formulate what she wanted to say in her head. But rather than eloquent requests for an examination of the aching leg, all that went through her head was questions and doubt. What if the leg was broken beyond repair? What if she would never be able to use it properly again? Uncle Badger and that other healer had both used their magics on it, but still it ached and swelled and hurt like nothing she'd ever felt before whenever she tried to walk on it normally. At best she could manage a heavy limp for a few paces, before the pain grew too great to endure.

Even as they stopped, far enough away from other horses that they would be able to talk without being disturbed, her mind remained blank. Under the expectant gaze of the healer -  Evangeline, as she had introduced herself as to Tembu - the little hybrid twisted and fumbled for words, trying to describe the issue as accurately as possible.

"Uhm, well... The thing is, I hurt my leg - this leg" she said, holding out the right front hoof with a poorly suppressed wince. "And I got help from several healers right away, but it still hurts. A lot. I can't walk on it, and since my other foot isn't working properly either, I can't really move that well at all." She indicated the left front leg, whose joint was feeble and overly flexible, damaged in the impact with the ground when she had been thrown by the Crocodile.

"Can you make it better?" the filly asked, worry coloring the silvery voice despite her best efforts to appear cool and suave about it. "Can you fix me?"

What she would do if there was nothing to be done... Not even she knew. There was so much she still had left to do. Places to see, things to learn; how would she grasp the mechanics of flight if she couldn't run? How was she supposed to find storytellers and wise people if she couldn't travel like before? The world was so big - Erthë didn't think she would be able to stand being cooped up in the Edge for the rest of her life, when there was so much wonder to behold beyond its borders.

There had to be something Evangeline could do. It just had to.

"And all the pretty tulips would disappear
And never disturb me again"

@Evangeline

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

"How did you hurt that leg?" Evangeline asked as the filly lifted it, wincing, and said that she had hurt it. Knowing exactly what had happened that resulted in the injury would go a long way with helping her to figure out what exactly was wrong with it and what needed to be done to fix it. Of course it didn't bode well that the girl had said other healers had tried to fix the leg and had been unable to. Could an injury really be so severe that god gifted magic could not fix it? "And what about your other leg? What happened to that one?" It never crossed the healer's mind that a child so young could have been involved in a war, she suspected that maybe the child had fallen while she was playing.

"Can you make it better? Can you fix me?"

"I can try my best." Evangeline murmured, her expression softening as she looked at the child. "Why don't you lay down." The healer suggested and when she did Tallis moved from his usual spot on her back to the ground. "Tallis will lay with you if you would like him to." She offered mostly because she assumed the child needed some sort of comfort judging strictly from the way she asked can you fix me.

Evangeline sincerely hoped she could.

She waited until Erthë was comfortable before she allowed the dark healing magic to swirl around the filly's injured leg. Her brow furrowed and her ears tilted back against her head as she tried to force the bones that had been cracked and splintered back into the correct positions. Sweat trickled down her neck and frustration began to blossom in her chest because she couldn't do anything. It left her confused, but she still tried, still focused her magic on that leg and kept trying to fix it even though it just wouldn't work. What that the child done to cause so much damage? And why couldn't it be fixed?

With a heavy sigh Evangeline released her hold on the healing magic and shifted her gaze to Tallis, her lips pressed into a thin line. "I can't fix it." She said and the dragon's head tilted. "I can splint it, but.... I can't believe that's the most I can do... there has to be something more, I can't just let her hobble around with her legs in such bad shape..." She trailed as the face of the glazier she had met not long ago flashed in her mind courtesy of Tallis. "Yes... of course."

"Stay here." She said to the young girl. "I need to get something, I'll be right back." Evangeline began to pick her way back toward the clearing where Nyx had just given birth, hoping that Tembovu was leaving the new mother and her twins (and the trespassing father) to bond together.

"Tembovu!" She called for the hefty glazier and she looked around, hoping to catch sight of him. "Go look for him." She instructed the dragon. "I don't want to move too far from her." With that Tallis was airborne, looking for the stallion he thought would be able to help.

"."

ooc:// if you want to PP Tallis finding him and bringing him to Eva and Erthë you can c:

Evangeline the Pure

i stood there waiting
hoping you would come around
but you always found a way to let me down

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA

@Tembovu @Erthë

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
tembovu
Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.
The orange dragon companion of the good Moon Doctor had been insistent on him leaving the trespassing stallion— much to Tembovu’s displeasure. His dark blue eyes warily watched the fire-burping beast, though it seemed to have enough sense to heed the warning in the elephant’s face. He was not a fan of fire, not in the slightest. So the orange annoyance could keep his flames to himself.

When the Glazier paused once to look over his shoulder and ensure that Nyx’s foals’ sire was traveling no further into the Edge, the lizard snorted an impatient plume of smoke. The elephant responded with a loud, trumpeting snort of his own. They stared at each other, azure gaze meeting flaming pools, before the Elephant sighed and continued plodding after the flighted creature. Evangeline must need him for something important, or else she would not send for him to leave a trespasser. Besides, Nyx wouldn’t have bedded a dangerous man (this was so untrue it was not even humorous.) He didn’t allow himself to think on it any further.

Evangeline and Erthe had not walked far (fortunately for the filly’s legs), so the sweeping strides of the mammoth did not take long to stumble upon them. He glanced perplexedly between the filly’s still-unhealed legs and the Doctor. “You sent for me?” he asked dryly, sending a pointed gaze at the self-satisfied dragon hovering above.
Image|Table

Please tag Tembovu.

Chan
E r t h ë

"Uh, well..." the child replied, wings ruffling guiltily as she averted her eyes from the face of the healer, "I kinda got in a fight with a god... You know, one of the foreign ones. Or well, two, really... One smacked its tail into me so I fell and cricked this leg, and the other kinda swiped me with a paw so I flew backwards... and then the leg broke."

It was rather embarrassing to admit it. Erthë wasn't stupid, it hadn't taken her long to figure out that she wasn't really supposed to get involved with these battles. Too young, too small. Who cared that she had been ordered into it by a god, she still shouldn't have stayed to fight... Well. As much as she hated to worry those who cared for her, the filly wasn't about to stand back and let her friends and family get hurt just because she was a bit young. If there were things she could do, then she would do them - and if she ended up a bit bruised because of it, she wouldn't mind as long as she was able to make a difference.

Alas, adults didn't seem to like this train of thought, so she didn't say anything about her reasonings or the fact that she'd volunteered into both 'fight's'. Instead she lowered herself clumsily to the ground, the image of obedience as she let Eva examine her leg - either or both, whichever she felt like. Smiling at the pretty, orange dragon she extended a nose towards him in greeting, then settled down and watched with keen, interested eyes as the Healer began to work.

It was a very interesting feeling. The magic swirled like wind, like black mist or the essence of night and enveloped her leg (the broken one, it turned out) and Erthë felt it like a cold, tickling sensation that was very pleasant. The magic itself was soothing to look at, and the feeling of it seeping into her body was numbing, comforting, not at all unpleasant.

Gazing at Eva however, that was more unsettling. The mare was frowning, and as time dragged out her expression turned grim and troubled. Black butterflies began to dance in her gut as Erthë watched her, worry gnawing at her insides despite the comforting presence of the dragon curling up beside her. Eva excused herself, and Erthë nodded, but it was difficult to lay still and quiet, to not call out for the mare to come back and not leave her alone.

What was going on? The leg felt kinda numb and cold but the pain was still there, throbbing to the rhythm of her heart and stabbing her whenever she stirred. Had the magic not worked? It didn't always fix everything, the filly knew this; Badger had said that it wasn't infallible, but the only time so far when it hadn't worked was against the Rift sickness. And in the end it had been magic that healed her after all... Was it that the darkness of the Moon was unable to heal her leg, or that the leg would resist magic altogether now? Or was it completely irreparable, so that she would have to live with pain for the rest of her life? Limping around, unable to walk or run or fly....

Erthë swallowed the frightened whimper and sought out the warm, solid form of the dragon with her nose, curling up around Tallis for comfort and reassurance. She had to have faith; Eva was a healer blessed by the Lady Moon after all, surely there wasn't anything she couldn't fix.

@Evangeline

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

A fight with a God?

Evangeline stared hard at the foal as she explained how she'd hurt both of her legs and it sparked an anger in the healer that reflected in the depths of her eyes. Foals fighting foreign gods. She'd been aware of the battles but had refused to participate because of her own moral stance on violence. Knowing that a child had been tossed into the fray shattered her hope that there was some good in Helovia's gods because if there was any good in them at all they would have taken it upon themselves to heal what was broken because of them. Instead they'd let a battered, broken child hobble off on legs that could have very well been a death sentence to her. If they cared about any of them they wouldn't have let so much hurt and death follow in the wake of battles that should have never happened.

Rather than voice her opinion, however, Evangeline tried to heal the child's legs but it was to no avail. She instructed the filly to stay put as she moved several paces off and waited for Tallis to return with Tembovu. The only thing she could think of to help mend the child's legs were braces to stabilize the ruined bone. Without the divine intervention of a god she doubted that the girl's legs would ever be healed and the prospect was fightening, especially for a child who was supposed to be carefree and happy.

"You sent for me?"

Evangeline flicked her ear to the side and Tallis flew to the filly who still was laying on the ground where the healer had told her to. He landed beside her and curled up with her, quietly trilling to try and soothe whatever worries he assumed she had. Once the dragon was settled with the girl Eva turned so Erthë would not see the grim expression on her face as she spoke with Tembovu. "I can't heal her legs." She whispered. "I tried... but its like my magic is ineffective or... I don't know. Blocked? Something isn't letting me fix it and I don't know what, but I can't leave her like that." She turned her head enough to glance over her shoulder at the filly. "The only thing I can think to do is make braces for her legs and ask for a god to heal her." Which was where Tembovu came in. "I thought maybe glass braces, but I don't know how stable what would be. Can anyone here do metal work?"

"."

Evangeline the Pure

i stood there waiting
hoping you would come around
but you always found a way to let me down

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA

@Tembovu @Erthë

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
tembovu
Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.
His deep blue gaze follows the path of the vibrant dragon as settles and curls with the pearlescent Erthe. The orange of his scales leap against the contrasting ivory, and he feels some of his ire towards the fire beast melt as it comforts his young friend. Perhaps he was not so bad— even if he did breath fire.

His gaze flickers to Evangeline as she speaks, “I can’t heal her.” His brows raise the reason for Erthe’s still-injured legs becomes apparent with each word the Moon Doctor speaks. His expression, amusedly peeved, melts to grave concern as his darkening eyes slowly swing back to the tightly curled ball of the filly he had grown so protective over (grown to care for).

He nods his head in agreement with her words of braces, but the great head shifts to shaking as she mentions ‘glass’ for the braces. Her question and the word ‘metal’ conjure up the image of Sno’s death. More specifically, a black-and-bronze man with a metal shadow-pet creating a raft for transporting the body.

“I agree, metal would be better than glass. I do know of one man in the herd. His name is…” he paused, thinking. Ophelia had mentioned his name, what had it been? Nulik? Ulnik? Bulrick? “Ulrik,” the name popped from his whiskered lips.

He studies Erthe, and her crooked forelimbs. “I can find him and ask him if he could make such things,” he sighs quietly, “Though I hope, perhaps foolishly, that we might find a way to heal her limbs.” He then takes a few steps towards the filly, tired of talking about her instead of to her.

He drops his head to her laying form, thick lips ruffling the curls at her withers. “How are you, little Erthe?” The question wasn’t pertaining to her legs, for it was obvious they were injured. He wanted to know how the spritely foal was faring with her injury.
Image|Table

Please tag Tembovu.

Chan
E r t h ë

Soft lips brushed gently over the bright scales of the dragon, stroking the curled up form absently while a storm of thoughts and emotions whirled within. The scent of reptile, of smoke and sulphuric acid tickled her nose, and his frame was warm, almost painfully hot against her frigid skin. Grass tickled against her belly and legs, a soft breeze tousled the pearly locks - it was a beautiful day, warm and bright and vibrant with overflowing verdure, and by rights it should have been filled with joy, with play and pranks and laughter.

Not pain. Not worry, sadness or brooding thoughts. And yet, to the wintry fawn the trickle of sunlight through green canopies and the glitter of drifting bugs and dust was a mere reflection, something her eyes took in without fully processing. Her focus remained on the dragon, on the tight knot of unease in her belly and on the adults that spoke quietly a few strides away, their voices a low murmur in her ears. Erthë wished she could hear what they were saying, but they spoke too quietly for more than stray syllables to reach her, disconnected and without meaning. There was no mistaking the serious looks on their faces however; miss Eva was frowning and Tembu looked like he wasn't having a very good day at all.

They were talking about her, the filly knew that. Talking about her, and frowning, and it fed the heavy lump until it grew heavy as led, a tight knot of fear that weighed on her spirits and made it hard to smile. She stroked the dragon, but it was more to soothe herself than Tallis, who probably would have been happier without her chilly affections.

A rustle of hooves stepping through grass caused her slender head to jerk up and around, so suddenly that she cricked her neck and disturbed the painful leg. A stab of pain shot through her and made Erthë hiss, face contorted in a grimace as she tried to smile at Tembovu and bite back a whimper at the same time.

His question was probably well meant and rather simple, but it placed the child in a state of confusion. Her first instinct was to say 'I'm fine!', but since she was lying here with a healer hovering over herself and unable to walk, it would have been too blatant a lie. But what should she say? That it was a beautiful day and she loved listening to the birds chirping in the trees, that she long to run around and chase butterflies so much that her chest ached, or that she was sad her mother wasn't there to experience it with her? Or maybe that she hadn't seen her dad for a while now and feared he had left her there in the Edge and disappeared somewhere, like Shadow had used to do, that she felt hurt he hadn't played with her even once since they came back from the Islands, or that she was terrified of never being able to walk properly again for the rest of her life?

But if she said that, the filly felt she would probably begin to cry, and she didn't want that. The grown ups were worried enough already, she didn't want to add her tears to their burdens too. So she gazed up at the stallion, picked up the smile that had faltered for a moment and replied softly, with no trace of fear in the voice - the picture of serenity and calm.

"I'm okay" she said - which was kinda true, she wasn't dying or anything after all. "It just hurts all the time, so it's hard to move... and sleep."

The last part slipped out of its own and Erthë bit her tongue, angry at herself for revealing it.

@Evangeline