the Rift

[OPEN] You Swim, I'll Wade [herb gathering]

Agnodice Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2hh :: 8
Herophilos :: Plain Black Dragon :: Toxic Breath prissy

The air was hot, muggy, hinting the presence of nearby water. She meandered through the brush, a light glaze of sweat glossing her alabaster coat. Her black markings and hair did not help her in this situation. She worked through it, a persistent traveler in this land. She was close to her destination, though she felt like giving up anyway. But what kind of caretaker would that make her? (Not a good one)

Gather the herbs.

She stepped from the verdant into a clearing with a large rotunda at it's center. Glass covered it's roof, and drapes lined the entrances, though they moved not, for this summer day lacked a breeze. Agnodice breathed a sight of relief, pleased to find herself where she was hoping to be. Now all she had to do was gather the herbs.

This task was a bit more difficult than it sounded.

She could not bring back any rotten products, or ones that could be located at her herdland. And she needed a lot of them, perhaps more than she could carry in her tiny jaw. She furrowed her brow, determination triumphing over any self doubt that had been forming in her mind.

She moved to the water's edge, hoping to find something (anything) there. She stepped into the water, reveling in it's cool as she searched. She poked around the plants tenderly, sifting through them meticulously. Her brow furrowed some more, eyes widening as she spotted familiar pale petals, shaped like a trumpet, sitting at the water's edge. Cotton Bush. A deadly poison sure to give it's victim a painful demise. Agnodice could not see how it could be useful to her...

But she grabbed some anyway.

She stalked up the bank, the Cotton Bush nestled between her onyx lips. She held it softly, shyly, careful not to ingest any of it, or even touch her tongue to it. She would take no chances with this plant. She sat it beneath a tree, laying next to her poison to rest before continuing her search for herbs.

gathering herbs and the like - open to all

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca
Morrigan

What a gorgeous day it was for gathering herbs, perfect for replenishing my supplies that were not available to me within the confines of the Dragon's Throat. Pongo seemed quite happy for the change of scenery as well, relishing the fact that we were no longer in the blazing direct sun of the desert environment. The trees and vegetation that surrounded the Ancient Rotunda provided a wonderful source of shade, the cool water ensuring that a light breeze could come in without hesitation. Just as I was about to start my search, the sound of water dripping caught my attention just before I could see a mare come forward with a mouthful of a plant. My eyes narrowed skeptically at the plant in her mouth, still unnoticed by her as she placed it where I assumed she was forming a small collection. My heart pounded nervously as my memory finally made the connection of the familiarity of the plant, wondering if the mare deliberately intended to pick up the toxic plant.

She set it down rather gingerly, delicate in her manuvering to be sure that she did not ingest any of the poisons. Did this mare know something about this plant that I did not? Never before had I seen anyone use Cotton Bush for any sort of remedy, perhaps it was a new method? Tentatively, I stepped forward. There was always the risk that this mare knew exactly what Cotton Bush could do and had ill intentions for it's future. My beloved Pongo, sensing my cautious emotions, kept close to my side yet kept a protective eye over me. Clearing my throat to announce my presence, I spoke out to the smaller mare. "Excuse me...I don't mean to intrude, but I don't think I've seen anyone collect Cotton Bush before. May I ask why?"

My scarlet orbs glanced down at the herds before drifting back up to the beautiful mare, taking note of her striking facial markings and unique curved ears. She was absolutely stunning with her milky coat and onyx hair, nearly opposite in my own coloring. "I ask because I am a healer for the Dragon's Throat, I find learning of new remedies interesting. My name is Morrigan, and this is Pongo." My nose dipped towards my companion as I introduce him, his wide doe-like eyes staring at the mare before us with curiosity.

[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.

Agnodice Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2hh :: 8
Herophilos :: Plain Black Dragon :: Toxic Breath prissy

"Excuse me...I don't mean to intrude, but I don't think I've seen anyone collect Cotton Bush before. May I ask why?"

The duchess almost jumped out of her skin at the voice. Enthralled with her poison, she had not noticed the webbed mare approach. She breathed a soft sigh of relief when she saw the stranger did not seem hostile, in fact, she seemed merely curious about her own actions, about her cotton bush. Agnodice smiled at the mare towering above her, shaking her head slightly.

"I grabbed it so no one else would,"  Agnodice stated softly, eyes flicking back to the spot she had found it in. "Of course, it will grow back, but if I can prevent someone else from taking it for now, then that's something I'm pleased to do," The mare replied, perhaps a bit sullenly. Her aim was to heal, the fact that this deadly plant would do nothing but flourish no matter how many times she uprooted it. Despite being a bit out of touch with reality, the mare was genuinely interested in saving lives.

Her gaze flicked back to her new acquaintance, listening to the webbed mare introduce herself. Agnodice's eyes slipped over her strong build, her jewelry and mysterious markings. Even her eyes, a passionate crimson, reflected the mare's enigmatic aura. Her gaze slipped to the mare's striped companion, a strange deer-like thing the doctor had never seen before.

Agnodice nodded her head in respect to each of them, curvaceous ears pricked forward. She rose from her resting place, leaving her poison on the ground near her dainty ebony hooves. "I'm Agnodice of the Hidden Falls. I'm also a healer. Though where I live, we're called Caretakers,"  She smiled, moving past the fellow healer to continue her herb gathering. "I'm gathering herbs, care to join me?"  She asked, looking over her shoulder at the webbed mare behind her.

The duchess stepped toward a willow tree near the water, eyeing it's bark. She recalled it being a useful remedy, but she did not immediately grab at the bark. A glinting in the sunlight caught her eye instead. She turned her attention to that, picking her head up and extending her floaty stride. Tucked behind a bush lay a medium sized glass basket, complete with a lid and handle. Agnodice peered at the object with interest, noting the dirt surrounding it and the foliage that had begun to grow around it. Whoever had left it here hadn't left it recently. Nor did it seem they would be back for it anytime soon. No matter, Agnodice would take care of it for them!

The mare picked the basket up, bringing it back to where she had placed the cotton bush. She gingerly nosed off as much of the dirt she could before opening it's lids, and placing a chunk of grass on a corner of the basket. She placed the cotton bush on top of the grass, then more grass on that. "There we go,"  She murmured with a small smile. She gleamed proudly, triumphantly at her new found treasure before prancing back to the willow tree to strip it of it's bark.

so sorry for the wait! after I found out I'd be getting her an item I figured I'd have her find it here so this took me a while ^^; @Morrigan

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada

This place is.. moist, and uncomfortable, in your opinion. The desert's heat was always dry and stale, and the only warmth that the Basin had offered during your childhood came from the hot springs and their sleepy steam clouds. Ouija seemed to have an easier time adapting to the climates as you wandered around the center of Helovia, no longer bound to the island.

It was just another day of playing cat and mouse with Ouija: she had disappeared to chase down a fat hare and left a void between your minds while doing so. Every so often, you would call after her and start to get nervous, but she would twitch in the back of your head and chatter about how hungry she always is. Typical teenager. Unable to stomach the sight of blood caked onto the fox's dirty little lips anymore, you stood around uneasily and tried to distract yourself with rubbing your body along tall tree trunks. Sweat began to soak your neck deep below the shaggy hair, dripping and running along your shoulders.

Unable to stand still for any longer, you begged Ouija to hurry with her snack before finally leaving the useless shade of the tall trees. The earth was soft and forgiving under unhealthy hooves, moisture squeezing out of the ground and dampening slate grey feet until they dove eagerly into the foreign creek. Instantly, maroon lips parted to bare stained aging teeth as they grinned; the cool, slow moving water quivered around dark legs, stopping just below your tight belly at the deepest point. A child-like spark always burned in the back of your mind when you were able to dive into water, whether it was the ocean or a spring, you could always count on it's calming effect, and for that you are always thankful.

From your right, two women chatter, their words muffled by the surrounding trees and brush. Blood-painted nostrils flared, drawing in the musty air to judge the strangers' level of threat before they could spot you: one was dry and dusty, vaguely familiar in the back of your mind.. She must have been from the Throat. The other smelled like evergreen trees and grass, hidden below the salty hint of sweat. Maybe an outcast, like yourself? For a moment you stood frozen, ears pressed forward while you stared toward where the women's voices came. Would the woman from the desert attack as the stranger had in the white valley? Instinctively your jaw tightens against the memory. You're not a warrior, you never were. You're a healer, a nurse to the needy. That is how you will help.

The sun-browned kit emerged from the forest, and though her lips were cleaned of the blood of her last meal, you could still smell the gut-churning scent. She splashed paw deep into the brook, big black eyes pulling for your attention. 'Go talk to them.' She knew exactly what you were thinking.. all the time. Glassy eyes turned to the fox while your ears rotated to train on both Ouija and the strangers. A brief moment passed while the two of you stared at each other - Ouija's acting as a hopeful mother to her shy child.

'You go or I go.'"Agh-" you began to grumble, but before you could begin, she turned and walk around the edge of the water, her small fuzzy head lifted high with a wet black nose in the air. Mumbling under your breath, you stepped forward carefully, making sure not to drop into a drench. It would be just your luck. Finally you emerge from the creek loudly, water splashing up onto the bank and dripping off of your limbs steadily. The fox made her way toward the strangers who were now visible from a higher point of view. One woman was dark and draped in heavy hair and shiny metal, the other a dove white and dainty. The same knot that had appeared earlier turned your stomach again; pretty women were never easy to talk to.

Ouija lead you toward them quietly, keeping her composure and holding back excited yips and tail wags thanks to a full belly and sleepy eyes. Rolling back on her haunches, the browned snow fox sat like a princess, glancing over her right shoulder at you with the same motherly look she had displayed earlier. Neither of you had to exchange words after the look. You knew exactly what she was doing. Small, shy steps stopped just beside Ouija while you smiled sheepishly at the women who stood more than two body lengths away. "Ladies." A respectful nod dipped your crowned head for a moment, eyes barely glancing to possibly make eye contact with both for a millisecond.

Like a timid teenage boy, you could feel the heat flush under dark fur along your cheeks and you were more than thankful that the sweat lines now looked like you had taken a plunge in the brook.

"Voodoo." 'Ouija.' 'Voices.'

Please excuse this shit reply, I haven't written more than twice in a couple of months. Also, just chase him off if you don't want him lingering. <3

Image by Nicole-Studios @ DA
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!