the Rift

pick up the pieces [kou/aviya]

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
[Set just after Azzuen led him to the Rescue Party. He wondered off by himself.]

d'Artagnan didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Relieved to finally be free of the Throat herd that he was convinced was full of small creatures with even smaller minds. On the other hand he was a little dissatisfied that he couldn't stick around to ram his toxic horn into the flesh of his mightily annoying guard and her too smug General. He looked towards the direction of the Edge and calculated the amount of time it would take him to reach it. The brute knew it would be foolish to return back there but still... It was tempting with his temperature running higher than it's normal high. There was another thing too. The magic once bestowed upon him by the Moon had now left him and d'Artagnan felt like he had been robbed of something precious. Sooty legs marched across the terrain that slowly turned into snow as the Arch appeared before him.

The shade stopped and stood in silence for a moment. Beyond here lie what was left of the herd he had been part of from it's very beginning. Their numbers had risen at a healthy rate but... What was left of it now? He knew Lena and Alan were still alive and they had said nothing of Kou so it would be safe to assume she was okay. His Nurse popped into his mind, would the teaching still go on after this? Yes. Kou was the only one he trusted enough to carry the knowledge he possessed. In time, maybe his children would know too. The wind whistled and ran wild against his merlot fur and the white snow moaned beneath his cloven hooves.

Many revengeful ideas had already invaded his mind, all irrational. If d'Artagnan hated any emotion violently then it was the feeling of defeat and looking completely lost. Though he wasn't completely helpless, the knowledge gifted by the gentle Earth had secured he would always have something his enemy knew nothing of. Poison seemed to be his only haven, not that he ever complained. It was a splendid haven. He had washed the toxic liquid from his horn by wiping it on the nearby foliage upon his way out from the Throat. Who knows, maybe he might get lucky one day and some idiot would eat it.

A snort, short and speaking volumes of held back anger spat from his nostrils. Whilst others carried battle wounds and were weary from fighting, the Nightshade had little a scratch on him and was as fresh as a young stallion. It was time to go help pick up the pieces and meld them into something unbreakable.

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali

K O U
Softly she comes
Whispers the breeze with her passing
In secret love she is laughing

All was most certainly not right in the world even after news of the rescue party being sent out to retrieve the doctor. There was something wrong with her beautiful little daughter. Her small body was continuously wracked with coughs that left her gasping for breaths. Each fit let the mare anxious and nearly at her wits end. She didn't know what to do, she wasn't a doctor. d'Artagnan was, but even he wouldn't know what to do. He wouldn't even have the magic that the Moon Goddess had gifted him with.

Kou made sure that Aviya was always close to her side, especially when the fits of coughing would begin. She did the only thing she could, and that was murmuring comforting things to her daughter to calm her so she could catch her breath. The only thing she could really be thankful for was that the fits didn't seem to happen too often. She did wonder if Aviya would grow out of it or if she would be plagued with the cough all her life.

The pale mare's head dipped and she brushed her muzzle across her daughter's forehead then reach around to nestle her closer to her body, fearful that the cold would make the filly freeze. It was then that she heard a snort. Her head jerked up and she looked around, ears set back and a fierce expression on her face as she searched for the one who dare intrude on her and her daughter.

All signs of displeasure melted from her features when her gaze landed upon the doctor. She jolted forward, nickering at d'Art as she moved quickly toward him, expecting Aviya to be close at her side. "d'Art!" She stopped before the doctor then reached out, bumping her muzzle against his affectionately. "You're late, doctor." She said a moment later. "Meet your daughter, Aviya." She stepped aside so the dark little filly became visible and smiled proudly.

Aviya Posts: 59
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 4 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Time

This spell, by far, had been the worst one since my birth. My ribs ached and my throat burned. It took all of my strength to hold myself up as well as Mother Kou's strength as well. She held me safely against her side. I could feel her worry as she hugged me, her muscles tight against my little body. I was thankful for her, she kept me warm and supported me through these coughing fits. I needed her.

As I calmed she calmed. My lungs expanded with new breath and I felt better. Mother Kou was still mumbling sweet things to me when, in an instant, she was gone. I turned quickly, eyes wide. I moved forward with my cloven hooves, pulling myself as close to her as I could. "Momma! Wait for me!" I called after her, my legs carrying me in an awkward, off balance canter. I could not hear her words as she called them out because I focused on following her and keeping my breathing calm. I had little control over my body right now, and the small control I had was not seeming to come up on top of the coughs that I felt swelling in my chest.

I stopped beside her, lowering my head and taking deep breaths. Once I calmed I looked up and my heart jumped. There was another unicorn now standing tall above me. He was the hugest thing I had seen yet! I looked to Mother Kou, my eyes curious on whom this beast was. Mother Kou seemed calm--no, joyous--in his presence. Narrowing my eyes curiously I turned my head back to the stallion just as Mother Kou introduced him to me. He..HE WAS MY FATHER!

My heart swelled and my eyes widened. He was what I was missing; he was what Mother Kou was missing! I nickered happily, jumping forward on shaky hooves. I jumped again, my cloven hooves rolling at the blood bay as I moved towards him. Everything was complete! I had my family! I nickered again and pressed my forehead into Father D'artagnan's leg. With a gasp, however, I pulled back. I forgot about the small glass horn that poked from my head. Quickly worry filled my heart and I looked up at him with wide, icy eyes and waiting for his reaction.

"Speak"

an0uk14 | burtn | photopolis | Manip: Time

It wasn't long before two familiar scents graced d'Artagnan. One he knew as Kou and his heart leapt as this was confirmation she had been safe during the battle. The other he did not know but yet he did. This one smelt of Kou and himself and it took a few seconds for the shade's eyes to widen in surprise as he realized who this must be. The slender, snowy figure of Kou caught his attention first as she moved up against him. He laughed aloud at her words and returned her affection gesture with his own timid nose before making a small exclamation as she introduced the little filly.

The red felt his daughter before seeing her for the first time. Something small pressed into him which made him look down and spot Aviya for the first time. She had seemingly ran her horn straight into his leg which made him break out in a gleeful smile. She's mine alright. Mismatched oculars staring into eyes so similar to his Nurses' that it almost made him jump, the first progeny of their slowly growing love now stood before him. His daughter was dark like the night and splashed in the pristine white of a newborn, just like the snows of Frostfall. Her hooves split in two like both progenitors and lastly he noticed the horn, sharp and made of glass. Yes. Definitely our daughter.

Suddenly the once so bleak future now looked a little brighter. The next generation of fighters would soon be here, the unicorn species was safe in the hands of these small gems. d'Artagnan would make sure his children knew the importance of their species and exactly where they stood in the chain of command. At the top. Where they rightfully belonged. The little femme had a cough that plagued her breathing from time to time and d'Artagnan made note to keep an eye on it. The cold weather in the North wouldn't help her too much, maybe they would have to venture to warmer regions later. He looked thoughtfully at Aviya before turning to Kou and grumpily replied "I'm never late."

A sooty nose lowered carefully then, slowly touching the small nose of their daughter in slight wonder. "Watch were you put that horn my child. You don't want to break it like your father did." He almost grimaced at the memory of a sour fight, shattered glass and a broken pride.

The Nightshade's head retreated back and he looked rather proudly at Kou, "we have a strong family."

filled with rage

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali

K O U
Softly she comes
Whispers the breeze with her passing
In secret love she is laughing

The mare rolled her eyes when the doctor claimed that he was never late. "Don't argue, you're late." She insisted. "And a few days, I might add. If it weren't for Mauja I would have been alone throughout the entire thing." She reached up and nipped at d'Artagnan's forelock playfully. "But I guess I still love you anyway." She shocked herself by saying it, but after a second she really didn't care that she had said it because it was the truth. Still, she was hesitant to see d'Artagnan's reaction so she ducked her head down and nuzzled Aviya's shoulder. "Careful, sweetheart." she murmured to her daughter. "Daddy might cry like a big baby." She teased as she nuzzled Aviya once more.

Finally, Kou raised her head and looked at d'Artagnan as he said they had a strong family. "We do." She agreed as she looked lovingly down at her daughter. "Maybe one day she'll have siblings just as strong and beautiful as she is." Kou suggested carefully because she never knew how he was going to react to anything.

ooc:// sorry, crap post |:

Aviya Posts: 59
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 4 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Time

I looked back to Mother Kou as she spoke, but only one thing that came out of her mouth stuck out at me. Daddy. I looked up at the creature before me again, my heart swelling. "Daddy." I said, letting my brain process how it felt on my tongue. I liked it. With an excited nicker I jumped forward again and nuzzled into Daddy d'Art's chest. I felt complete and happy and safe. I knew, with these two raising me, I would be exactly what they wanted me to be.

After staying close to the warmth of Daddy d'Artagnan for quite some time I looked up at him, my body swaying slightly. I was so happy. Watching him I felt so much admiration. He was huge and seemed so strong and he was so gentle near Mother Kou and I. Turning towards Mother Kou I trotted back over to her and poked her with my muzzle, a playful smile painted on my white features. Turning my head towards Daddy d'Art I turned as quickly as possible and reared shakily on my new legs, poking him as fiercely as I could in the shoulder with my small, cloven hooves.
"Speak"

an0uk14 | burtn | photopolis | Manip: Time

d'Artagnan mulled over a million other retorts and decided they weren't really fit for the ears of his daughter and settled with a disgruntled mumble that didn't exactly cover what he wanted to say. "Sorry" his gruff voice oddly gentle as a small wave of shock simmered onto his face. Kou's open admittance of love taking him by surprise and he looked shyly at her as she nudged their child's shoulder. His mind going momentarily blank as he tried to think of something to say back. Sooty lips quivering, begging his mind to think of a natural reply that didn't make him look like an entire fool in front of his daughter. The look of confused panic turned into a wave of profound discovery before finally settling on a smile, it was warm and loving. The feelings he felt for the dainty crème femme finally set free of the Nightshades chains. He returned her admittance of love with a gentle brush along her cheek with nothing but adoration in his eyes. The rare moment lasted all of a few seconds before he turned back to his daughter, a welcome distraction from all the pent up emotions confusing his mind as he gave Kou a look complete shock. "I've never shed a tear in my life!"

He bulked his body as if to emphasize his manliness but gave Aviya a sly smile. Welcoming her into his embrace, a strange look passing over his features as he experienced fatherhood to a different level. So far, he hadn't been able to get so close to Mesec. The thought left him wondering where the devil his son was, maybe the Moon had come to reclaim him. d'Artagnan worried little about him, the boy was a demi god after all, if no one else the stars would watch him. It was Kou who snapped him free of his musings as her carefully put suggestion took its time to dawn on him.

For a moment he failed to grasp the meaning, staring blankly at his Nurse until realization sank in and an embarrassed flare travelled through his body. Forcing his head to examine the snowy floor, swallowing as he gathered what little was left of his wits. Kou had a way of disarming him. "She will" he took the little punches Aviya sent to his shoulder, smiling at the fierce stare in her eyes. His daughters determination making the floundering d'Artagnan more sure of himself. Features lighting up as if something suddenly dawned on him and a low chuckle escaping his maw. "I hope they don't inherit too much of my gene pool, I don't quite fancy keeping an eye on a family of mad kids."

The thought seemed amusing at first but the more he thought about it the more it really did seem hellish.

[I hope that wasn't really cringey xD It's kinda hard to balance out his witty side and his loving side]

filled with rage

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

The young colt stepped out majestically, picking his way through the foliage with some precision. The light has pretty much faded into the dark abyss as the heavens were trickled with faint stars. Like a ghost, he glowed, his pupiless silvered pools reflecting out the little light that was left. Mesec glanced around, uncertain of this place and almost afraid. But the vibes were good, and the connection with his strength pulsed around his frame. For such a young creature, the Moon boy was quickly establishing his own character, perhaps not for the greater good. With a slight toss of his neck, he let his ever-growing horn be merged into the terra firma as he placed his crown down to scratch his dark left pillar.

Everything was still forming, his wings, his horn, his body, his sight, his mind. Nothing was yet ready for judgement and this was something that had not quite been taken in by the young naive mind. Mesec was still just a colt, a baby, with no direction and no discipline. It had been a while since the invasion, and all he could remember was panic and confusion. Hiding in the shadows, only to find himself in another place. He completely lost all sense of familiarity that he had gained from his short experience with his "family", and ended up wandering the outskirts of Helovia. And yet here he was now, back in his supposed homeland.

He took a glance up to the skies, praying for some guidance from his mother. The memories of his magnificent goddess still played on his mind, clear and crisp like the moment they had been made. With some dejection at the thought of never seeing her again, never rekindling their mother-son bond, he pawed at the ground with his small daggers and snorted.

Soon he found himself in the proximity of other creatures, there were several. He could quite make out how many, but the stench of the scents made his velveteens wrinkle with confusion. The scent was familiar, but he could not quite make it out. Was it...? No it can't be. He defied the thoughts that it was the creatures that his mother had abandoned him with, but curiousity got the better of him. With a small flurry of energy he bounded into the vicinity of the creatures. The cool air was no match for him, it was almost welcomed. Then it all came flooding back. The thoughts of weather put aside, his focus was on the burnt sienna frame of a brute, a glass shard horned beast. Then a pale, frosted flesh fae. Nestled in the brute's chest lay a filly, charcoal in nature but tinted with frost, only slightly younger than himself. It was d'Artagnan, his "father", and the fae that had accepted him as a son.

With another snort of surprise, he jumped back and stared wide-pooled at the trio,
"What...?" Confused and just as naive, Mesec knew nothing of the situation and how to handle it. Fixed to the ground, he continued to stare, no movement. His creepy pools were almost gateways into his soul, displaying all the emotions that he felt in the way they were able to. There weren't many other than confusion.

please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times