the Rift

[PRIVATE] The World Inside

Ming Yue Posts: 36
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 :: Ages in Frostfall
Danjah

The azurine fae was completely unaware of just how far she had travelled. Revelling in her new-found weight and strength that was slowly being built up, she had taken the route south from the Aurora Basin and kept going. It had been a long time since she had strayed further out to new lands, feeling the need to explore. Ming Yue was no longer thinking of food, she was thinking of discovery.

The night sky started to crystallise in a beautiful fashion, into the dark night time and this gave Ming Yue a reason to allow a small smile spread across her velveteens. It was becoming dark, and slowly but surely the moon would take full shape, and then she would be in heaven. But having not paid much attention to her surroundings, she never quite saw the entrance that was now glaring at her in both both pools. It seemed like the gateway to a dark place. Uncertain, Ming Yue held back for a while, not sure whether she should let her pretty lithe bodice take her inside. Listening deep and hard the queen could not make out any sounds coming from inside, and therefore assumed that nothing bad could come out. With a deep breath Ming Yue let her cranium steer back up the sky, hoping to catch the last remnants of a beautiful night after her exploration attempt. And with that she let her pillars guide her through the still warm, dry terraria, letting herself wander inside...

With pools having adjusted to the darkness within the tunnel, it had opened out into a massive system of cave mazes. Somehow, Ming Yue flowed through the system with relative ease and found herself in one particular cove. Rocks, still remarkably wet from the moisture, clung to the sides of the cave. But in the cove itself the azurine found herself staring straight at a beautiful sight, perhaps more beautiful than the night sky she had left to find this place. It was teeming with crystals, all shapes and sizes that covered the entirety of the room. They seemed to shine a dark blue with hints of lighter yellow, reminding her of the sky above her. It was blindingly beautiful. Taking her pools further into the cave she glimpsed at the crystals that seemed to pop out of every nook and cranny, and with a sigh she smiled once more,
"I wonder how many have found this place?"

@Beest

Please tag Ming Yue in all threads! ♥

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

"...Of course!" She mumbled as a conclusion to her earlier speculations, to herself of course. There was no one else here. Not in these depths; so deep that echoes were reduced by the raw primitiveness of the caves, in their splendid glory —And of course the history that filled it up with it. There was simply no room left for echoes. That was how awesome the place was, that was how superior the world proved itself to be. Again and again, because — even though this place was filled up with the breaths of past events to this extend already — there would always be place for more... and more and more; Unlike the capacity of the awareness inside her own brain, it was limiteless. Mysterious. Everlasting.

And she would never get enough of it.

So she sat here... on her own: Gaping with excitement, like a child seeing magic for the first time, at the inscriptions in the wall. She sat there; by the candle-light, throwing shadows on the rocks, as she continued on to decipher the history of Helovia.

That was when the lights went out.

It happened suddenly, without warning; without a sound. As if there had been a switch she had known nothing off and as if someone that was not her had just pulled it (the trigger?). As she glared into the blackness (that had just been the inscription of the shadowy-creatures) that little side-thought made her think. She wasn't... dead now, was she? Because if she was, she had gone very, very subtly —And somehow none of her stories described Death as such a súbtle being.

So instead of panicking, she turned around, for perhaps she wasn't dead and someone really had turned off the lights. It was good that she knew this place well, as she had spent a lot of her free-time in these caves, although mostly staring at the wall of history (of course). Thanks to that she managed to navigate through the tunnels on mere memory and the sensing with her wings; pointing forward like a blind mans' cane.

As she slowly moved herself forward, both intrigued and confused by what was going on, she realized that the room wasn't silent, not at all. And it suddenly seemed to press on her; the sounds. If not for her breathing —if not for the shuffling of her wings, it were the cries in the distance of something she thought could have been from the bats taking-off. The sounds of other hooves, animals. Then Maren heard a voice. It came from a source closer than she had expected, or would've known if she hadn't been blinded —Or at least that was what it felt like. She found her way over, somehow, and as she did she realized she knew the answer of the question not specifically voiced to her. "I can tell you many have found this place before you, or me, ever entered here. Hello, by the way. Did you perhaps...," she said, told; informed (maybe)... and then asked, slightly uncertain, as she entered the room this other being was in. But Maren stayed close to the wall, feeling the rough rocky texture with her wings for orientation, knowing if she let go she might as well be falling into a black hole. She cleared her throat, suddenly feeling idiotic in this blinding embrace. "—...Did you turn off the lights?"

Notes: Hope you don't mind! Maren has turned blind here, due to a quest she is working on. (She will be blind for 3 days, this is her first day)  

image credits

@Ming Yue <3
Please tag me 

Outcast
Danjah

Within this chasm of beauty the azurine fae could hear the close daggersteps of another creature that clanged against the rock. In this dark world it would be very hard to think clearly, but within this certain room full of crystals it was hard to see how and why you would ever want to leave. The only thing that was missing in this world was the natural moonlight, but Ming Yue was able to live without this for the time being. Whilst she was in here, it was important to soak up the mystery of this place, even if it meant she was unable to keep an orb on the moon in the outside world...

The body seemingly came closer and closer and Ming Yue felt nothing but compelled to stay in the caves. She was not worried, she had the upper ground whilst she was the one buried within the light, waiting to pounce. The sounds echoed all around the roof, and the fae remained completely still in order not to make a sound. It never worked, as her still-calm breathing was still loud enough to create a slight echo as it bounced off the crystal-encrusted walls. What came through the entrance was a fae, with words that seemingly answered her own question:

"I can tell you many have found this place before you, or me, ever entered her..."

It was a strange introduction. Even in the dark Ming could make out the figure of an extremely elegant female, the fae bearing stripes across a pale bodice and wings at the lobes in the same huge. She was beautiful, even another fae could admit that. But rushing the attention away from her appearance the stranger spoke once more, a question that humoured the azurine. With a slight chuckle Ming Yue answered as she stepped forward, knowing that the blinded creature was no harm to her,
"It is a pity, to not be the first to discover such a wonder. But I am assured that its beauty is untouched by those who have already stepped in these caves," Ming Yue's tone was sweet and soft towards the stranger, but she bore no expression since she knew that it just wasn't necessary considering the circumstances. She could have a crow strapped to her horns and the striped creature wouldn't know any different, "And hello to you too. I am Ming Yue. And to answer your question, I didn't turn off the lights!" Another chuckle sprouted from her dark velveteens as she thought what had happened to her, "Can you see anything, ...?"

[OOC: I'm so sorry for such a late reply, Pie! <3]

" . "

@Maren

As her voice embraced the probably underrated content of the question that left her lips — A question that lacked the sense of logic in this very moment a for whoever wasn't her — a sigh in the back of her mind made known to her that this was a strange question to even have to ask. But as her words carried through the cave she realized she had closed her eyelids (That would make no sense either) and a realization started to crawl, slow and lazily. For some reason it wasn’t like a serpent-y sensation, one that was alerting and suspicious, no. No, it was more like a stream breaking loose from its meander, starting to slowly carve new paths: Paths that were something to get used to, yet with an excitement equal to a fresh adventure.

Maren listened to the words of the invisible girl, carefully, because — now she had remembered — she was fine with it, at ease with the lights being out. She would worry later what the consequences would mean for her everyday life, for right now the conversation was way to interesting. “Regretfully I've had to hear it second-hand, too,” she acknowledged; sympathized with her outspoken pity. “But I’ve been told intriguing stories about this cave-system from the son of the Moon himself, Mesec,” she smiled at the memory of the time she shared that bit of history with her that she had enjoyed so much to learn of, although she had forgotten if he had been there himself, as well. “Did you know that these caves were used to evacuate the above-land when there was some kind of pest contaminating Helovia? The land had turned dark with sickness and there were shadows spreading like a disease. It seemed that at that moment when they needed it the most, they found a safe-haven — This,” Maren’s wings spread out to subtly point out their very location. “It became the home for those from any herd and they lived underground for over a season.”  She smiled, glad she could share her knowledge with someone she recognized as either curious of the world, or someone who merely liked to see pretty things(... with the first being the preferred).

The girl said said who she was, followed by denying the fact that she had indeed turned off the lights. Of course meanwhile Maren had realized her own idiotic mistake, which was also quite embarrassing actually. So she laughed it off, which could perhaps count as equally idiotic. “—Ghá-ha, well of course I was joking,” she attempted to get herself out of it while contracting her eyebrows. A movement that was born from the disgusting cringe inside her belly; Did — I — just fake-laugh? And in case her deceit was readable from her face, she hoped the room was as dark for the mare as it was for her. However, She doubted that, because — If she wasn’t mistaken — earlier, she had heard a chuckling sound coming from the mare. Which basically meant she was into jokes and since this mare had repeated that same chuckling sound after Maren (Maren) … had joked about the lights, she could also say with certain confidence that she liked them (jokes) both ways; good and bad. “.. Yes — I mean no,” she discussed with herself, still having to adjust to the situation but wanting to answer the question according to the truth this time. (For the sake of a bright start to this new relationship). “I can see… By which I mean I have had the ability to see since I was born — just not at the moment." And she smiled, widely, because looking at the total picture, she couldn’t appear any more bizarre than this, anyway… — and no matter what everything looked better with a cherry on top. "I'm the diviner of the Throat, Maren." "I am also a very wise and serious character" she felt like adding, but stopped herself for at the time obvious reasons.

; v ; Idunno 

image credits

@Ming Yue
Please tag me 

Outcast
Danjah

The sightless fae that stood before her seemed to soak in all that the azurine had to say, but in all fairness she thought how much a creature would have to take in without their sight, with all of their other senses working overtime to accommodate for the loss of pools. Yet as she came to focus in on the sightless pools of this stranger, Ming Yue felt herself looking into the golden orbs of a very beautiful creature with no sign of the blindness in her physical being. What had happened to her?

Ming Yue's attention snapped back to the pretty dame's words that poured out of her velveteens. She listened intently. It was of her own regret to not have been one to discover these caves also, and mention of a character that was particularly interesting: the son of the Moon Goddess? Hoping not to interrupt, but the gasping within her chest rumbled out and Ming Yue could not hold back with the questions,
"You mean to say that, there are demi-gods that walk amongst us? That the Moon Goddess bears a child?" How she loved to speak about her beloved Moon Goddess. If she could not meet the Goddess herself, she would dearly like to meet the prodigy, the son that her acquaintance called Mesec. Who was he? Her intrigue in that almost caused her to forget that she was speaking with an almost total stranger, and with a little embarrassment decided to try and quell what little excitement she had in her life. At this point the litte ivory and mahogany striped fae continued with little facts about the caves, which were something that caused Ming Yue to prick her lobes towards the speech and keep her cranium held high. There felt like some sort of connection as she spoke about this place being a safe haven, and Ming Yue decided to (surprisingly) confide in her counterpart about her own history, her tone reminiscent of the old days, "That is incredible to hear about such things. It only makes me feel more strongly about this place, having come from a disease-ridden place myself," she took one look around the one cave room they were in with the crystals surrounding them, causing a beautifully pale glow, "How I would have loved to find this place as sanctuary back then..." To learn about some of the history of Helovia caused the azurine fae to feel perhaps a bit more emotionally about her new homeland. For a time she had been so reluctant to consider this place home, but somehow the historical words of this beautiful creature made it seem like the best thing that had ever happened to her. She smiled back as the creature threw her own smile at Ming, and the tone was parallel to her warmth towards the stranger, "You would make an excellent history teacher, I would love to hear more of Helovia's stories should you have them."

A laugh spread from her chest as she pretended to joke about asking if Ming had turned the lights off. A rather unattractive snort arose from her own velveteens as she replied humorously, "Joking indeed, I would have thought exactly the same if it were midday!" It seemed that her embarrassment had flooded through her bodice, as the Riftian could see through the darkness rather well and scoured the girl's skull and spotted the ook of embarrassment. But she did not dwell on this for fear of upsetting the already crippled creature by means of lack of sight. To mock was to become another bully, and Ming Yue did not know just how badly it would affect the fae. And so the conversation flowed back to the topic of her eyesight, something that Ming Yue's thoughts were currently fixed on. She cocked her skull to one side as she wondered what her acquaintance meant by that. But she was soon answered with an explanation as best as she could. This seemed to leave the cool fae only a little less confused, to which her intrigue reached through to her vocal chords, "So you have only recently lost your sight? And not at the moment?" How could you be temporarily blind, she thought silently. It must be a Helovian thing. Finally, however, Ming Yue was able to put a name to a face: Maren. The creature full of beauty was Maren, and made clear her herd, to which Ming dipped her pretty cranium towards her and spoke once more, "You are the first I have met from the Dragon's Throat, Maren. It is an honour," she piped up once more to ask one more question, hoping not to overwhelm the blind female, "What is the Throat like? I myself come from the Aurora Basin, but..." Her words halted as she tried to come to terms with whether she did actually come from there. Was she ready to call the Basin home?

" . "

@Maren

Yet, that unusual smile around her lips was not insincere. Perhaps, if she would have ever admitted it to herself, she was even enjoying this; embraced by nothing but learning, the crashing of interests and a well-informed set of ears to fill up with words of teaching... It felt safe and home-y. As if this was how it was supposed to be. "Very much so; he is a demi-god," she confirmed as she smiled at the intelligence of the girl. "One of the four, to be exact." Of those Mesec was the only one she had really come to know even though she had met all of them, if only briefly. There was, however, something in the air that made her wonder what exactly the mare was interested in, for was it really her herd-mate or  was this aim of tone perhaps the infamous Mother Moon?

It did not matter, though. It was none of her business who wished to serve the Moon and, unlike others, she would not care if she did. Perhaps she did need to tell her that the reputation of the Goddess of the moon had been more than slightly scratched the past years. Inside her mind Maren sighed out of sympathy… or pity. Since these days — even though this too had been different in the past — it was much easier to walk in the brightness of the Sun than to be creeping quietly inside the shadows of the Moon. Nevertheless, it would not make her respect this girl less (or more), would merely prove a nice challenge.

...But then things changed; turned (suddenly), shimmered for just a mere moment inside her golden eyes, like a coin which flipped to its other side after having carelessly been thrown up in the air. It made her give up on her smile. The diviner's stark gaze was left hanging on the same spot, was left hanging as the mare let out more words — but the only thing Maren cared about now, was none of whatever followed. Everything was about that... “Disease-ridden”. It wasn’t even a puzzle anymore it was so obvious and she hadn’t known. She hadn’t known at all. Not at all. Not until it was too late. And now as a consequence she had awakened in midst of a storm, shivering and confused. It flowed like a poison through her throat. It was disgusting and she had let it in.

She is from the Rift.

A tainted fuel shimmering in her veins like oil on the ground and, as it was, she felt dirty. Enflamed by the easy words of admittance from someone she had somehow so quickly let herself connect with. And she must have as well, for why else would the girl say it in the first place? Betrayal. Hurt. What was forgiveness? What was mercy in these circumstances? Once again it proved how painless things could be broken down. This. It’s really true that I don’t care. It was almost... funny. She wanted to tell her how idiotic this pursue for her acceptance had been. Because that must have been how it was, right?

The rose under the ancient Oak wept a lonely droplet of onyx. The liquid shimmered as in it reflected the Medium’s sacred endlessness, reflecting the tranquility of being nowhere and everywhere at the same time. However, in the droplet was none: It fell to the ground, shattered before being swallowed by the never ending silence of all that lay in between.

The words the Riftian spoke were like the hands on a clock; going, going; but none of them mattered anymore. None of them mattered. Don’t you see it, too? They were all just empty strokes, mimicking the irritating sounds of mechanics turning behind something that shouldn’t have mattered, but it did. It did a lot. Don’t you see? Because she wanted to girl to see that, too.

On her tongue burned many words, but she could not make a sound as for some reason her teeth were left shut together tightly behind frozen lips.

Why are you not ashamed?

Maren thought about it, but - in the end - she never got that part.

So the tiger mare didn’t listen to what the girl said following after that one sentence that broke down whatever bridge had been growing between them. Did not listen to the words any more than she would have listened to the strokes of a clockwork, no matter how pretty. The words simply fell right through her and Maren wondered if the mare had noticed by now. You don’t deserve my kindness. You don’t deserve our Gods.

She came out of her throne of indolence. Why — To feel, to be hurt and to be slapped by her own betrayal and her own ignorance. The rippled skin around her blank, burgundy stare had sank into a pristine cold marble surface. Slowly, matches began to light themselves into elegant flames as lucifer unfroze her solemn lips. Her voice low and her tone bitter-cold, because this fire bore no warmth. "WHY?” she suddenly hissed soundly, rudely interrupting the Rifitian’s chit-chat about the herds. “What right do you have to listen… to ask me to gift you my knowledge… while it is you and your brethren who have given up your own land, letting it be destroyed by your own poisonous minds." Her voice grew colder as the words left her mouth, engulfed with the taste of bitter disgust. "If you don’t leave it will only be a matter of time before we get infected as well.” Give me back my land. The diviner turned her body, hatred flaring in the beating of her pulse and the burgundy of her diverting eyes.
"You don't belong here."

image credits

@Ming Yue
Please tag me 

Outcast
Danjah

Ming Yue

Take a look at me now, there's just an empty space.

Her smile felt warm against the pools of Ming and somehow the fae felt like she was in comfortable environment even with what was technically a stranger. And a blind one at that. She stood there so calm and collected and that was something that Ming Yue could not disrespect - it took guts to feel so safe when you were without sight, especially if you were used to seeing things your whole life. The conversation was still on the point of the demi-god, and Maren had let on that this Mesec brute was not the only one, but one of four. Her lobes were pricked upright with the sound of how many mythical beings walked amongst them. But she was determined to meet this Mesec, particularly as he was the one who had been born unto the Moon Goddess. Her reasoning was simply to find out things and to quell her need to have some sort of connection with her beloved god. She spoke up to Maren with her tone unusually high in the excitement of what was being said,
"I would love to meet Mesec one day, Maren. To be one of four demi-gods in this land would be incredibly honouring." She instinctively dipped her cranium in sequence with her words, forgetting how the beautiful fae in front of her would not be able to see it.

But she let her embarrassment slide. What Maren did not see, Ming Yue would not worry over. But it seemed that her negative thoughts were only more justified by the reaction her acquaintance had had by her knowing of Ming Yue's Riftian past. She was  a Riftian at heart and perhaps would always remain that way, unless Helovia would change these thoughts. But what twisted her heart so much was the way the pretty fae seemed after that point, and that hurt. The smile she had bore was suddenly lost into the glittering cave room and she spotted her sightless faze falling just as her smile had done. Ming's rump twitched with the uncertainty of what was just about to happen. What would she do? And what had she done? The tension between them was all too much.

Maren then let the words tumble out of her mouth with what felt like venom seeping into the azurine dame's heart.

"What right do you have to listen... to ask me to gift you my knowledge... while it is you and your bretren who have given up your own land, letting it be destroyed by your own poisonous minds."

The words, the words of what she had been worrying about deep down. This land was never going to be her true home in a sence, so why did it matter so much to her? Why did it hurt so much that this girl in front of her was the one to say the words? It probably would not have meant so much if it had come from another, even Deimos or Rikyn. But from Marren it was another matter. But Maren continued and Ming Yue could feel the striped queen throwing daggers into her bodice again and again...

"If you don't leave it will only be a matter of time before we get infected as well."

The memories of her terrible last year in the Rift came flooding back and it was hard to hold back the tears and the wailing of what had happened. The typically cool character was going to be awash with the salt of her pain. How she had lost her adopted family, almost starved to death, witness creatures being cut down by the devil itself and the fright of possibly never surviving. The hatred seered off the fae's body and in turn the despair in Ming's was being sweated out. But she felt the courage to speak through the lumps in her throat as she tried to say something, "To brand me as one of those who ruined my homeland is to make a mockery of the being I am. I had no part in it, and for that I was cursed to reap the disavantages of my own faith and to be drawn out and starved until my dying days. Whatever it was that brought the Blood Falls to the lands of Helovia was not my doing, but it was my life giver. And for that I have every right to be here. It was fate," the words came tumbling out with the sounds of sniffing as she tried to hold back the tears and remembering hearing the screams of those who had fallen, "You would rather us all die for the pleasure of not having to covort with us? We are the same as you Maren, I am the same as you. I am of your species." To say that she did not belong here cut Ming Yue in two and that was that. Their ties were lost.

Before concluding her words and being ready to run and hide, and of course wallow in her misery she spoke once more to Maren, "It seems you are more different to me than I ever wanted and for you to think that of me kills me... I thought you would be different," she hesitated and let a tear fall down her pretty face, "You disappoint me."

image credits

@Maren

The lack of light loosened its grasp around her throat as she had spoken. Flickering sounds of echoes far into the cave listened in on their conversation as the words carried. The bell of alarm slowly cleared out to make space once again for whatever words the mare had found. Once of hurt, yet still needing Maren to understand. Perhaps. But she was reaching out to someplace fallen already so far behind, didn’t see that she was trying to get back something already gone so deep, that it had already fallen away into a depth of nothingness. Her words sounding so true and right; a perfect reflection of a chaotic desperation for acceptance and the longing for a better life, perhaps truly deserved.
But she was asking Maren to acknowledge that.

She didn't.  

— She wouldn't.  

One day long ago, a day in which the roses in the Medium were left without a gardener the Medium had been empty. The Holy Garden was left without a care-taker; without a gate-keeper. So one day the Entities went out to search for a gardener. It came at a time that Maren was in despair like a grounded bird with its perseverance for life slowly leaving her in horrible silence: Fading, drifting away from its purpose, into the shadows, until — Something had granted her a speck of light. A single dot of awareness and illumination. She could’ve sworn it lighted her veins, her heart, her mind. That curious, but tiny speck of dust, electrified by the embrace of a rising sun, had been able to do that. Inside such subtle elegance the Gods had reached out to her; enlightened a new path. And she had taken it. She had giving herself to the Gods, and with it was the promise that she would take care of the roses growing underneath the Grand Oak and the ultimate Silence that it had birthed. From that moment on she had worshipped The Cherry Oak and its Entities. This was her life. There did not have to be remorse and there did not have to be mercy if one followed the ways of the Cherry Oak.

The Rift-mare's outreach came to an end, shaped itself into a final conclusion. Finally, the girl saw it now, too The truth.

“You disappoint me.”

She had disappointed many, living as she did. Some who she had held... close to her heart, of whom she still held fond memories not easily forgotten and then there were some who she had already forgotten everything about — and surely there were a lot more to come.

She had taken faith and cherished it, guarded it for the sanctuary and trust. That day, long ago, she had recovered her hope inside of a divine purpose — And it was worth more to her than anything else in the world.

The wings, that had rested in their own feathered embrace, unfolded like shadows next to her pale cheeks.

Then go.” —Leave me be as I watch the Heavens fall.

At least this time she wouldn't have to see the tears.

image credits

-kicks maren-
@Ming Yue, shall we wrap it up?
Please tag me