the Rift

[PRIVATE] I Saw You [Isopia]

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

ashamin
The Haruspex

Ashamin pulled himself away from conflict with impatient pain. His whole body ached and his heart beat too quickly to listen to attentively. He needed to focus, he needed to step back, he needed to calm down...

The fight was over, that much was clear. She did not parry and he did not press on, whatever sudden conflagration had occurred was now to cease with horrible gut wrenching quiet. And there was never really quiet, either--the silence was occupied by labored breathing, the ticking of his mind as he tried to piece together her words.

Why did he think he knew her?

His temper, surprising and new, still burned but it was already beginning to die. "At the battle of the Blood Falls, you fought against us. Regardless of your intentions, you and your magic harmed many. It was nothing short of sacrilege and betrayal, as far as I am concerned. Tonight you attacked me without honor, hiding in the shadows. If not for the luck of that charm," he said with a vague gesture to the shattered parts of the amulet behind him on the rotunda floor, "How long would you have struck out at me from afar, staying out of reach?"

The question did not bite. It was genuine. But it was hurt, too. There was something disgusting at the thought of his standing confused in the shadows, being struck over and over by an unseen force. Was that really a fair challenge or just abuse?

"I don't know you. I did not say I did. I'd have to understand you to know you, and I don't understand a single damn thing that you've done that I've ever seen. And if I weren't a Haruspex I'd have run from this and kicked you as I went, but I'm staying here and I'm talking to you because it's my job to try and understand you. " His eyes, black pits, burned with an unseen need. He had much to say, perhaps to put off the listening.

It was his job to know her, to understand her, to understand as much as he could. But right now he really did want to run and kick her as he went. He wanted to go home and lick his wounds, wanted to hide in the familiar shadows of his cave. He wanted to be where Lochan was waiting for him, back home. This place, this company, was the last thing he wanted.

But it was exactly what he needed.

""

Image Credits

Continued directly from this spar: I See You
@Isopia
(Sorry for the little wait! No need to tag, just throw me a skype message.)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia
         in places deep with roots entwined
i live among you, well disguised
Isopia focused on the pain that still, rather annoyingly, was vibrating through her wounded leg. She had allowed her mind to recognize that it was there - what more was there to do? What did it continue to cry out? Why not simply use the energy expended by those pained screams, to begin knitting itself back together? Indeed, her magic was not hindered by her wound - moss and grasses already clung and wove themselves up her long legs, blending her into the ground.

Flatly the demi-goddess regards the Haruspex as he speaks. Her golden eyes stare at him passively and clinically, as if still trying to determine if he is worth her time. She blinks slowly as he voices accusations which are patently false. Perhaps he hit his head during his tumble off of her pillars, for surely some sort of brain damage is at fault here? The girl's brows knit together as he continues. Already she is bored. If this is going to be a misguided lecture, she at least wishes he would hurry up. Her mind moves so much faster than those around her, that she often feels aggravated at the lull between their words.

"You are incorrect."

Briefly, she considers leaving it at that. He is wrong about so many things. Does she really need to recount each of his divergences from the truth? Inwardly she knows she does. She can't abide faulty beliefs.

"I did not fight against anyone. I fought for understanding and patience. I fought for a reprieve so that a life wouldn't be senselessly taken. And no one was hurt by my actions." Isopia's memory was as fallible as anyone's - but as she replayed the tactics she employed, she was confident that no one suffered because of her magical buffers.

"How were my actions either honourable or not? You asked for a challenge - what does my placement with relation to a light source, have to do with my integrity?  You sought a challenge, and are now dismayed because it was not the type of challenge you intended? So what?" But her so what was anything but nonchalant or careless. This was her challenge to him. Even so, her voice remained nearly sterile and academic, though the ire in her gaze suggested she was annoyed by his continued stupidity.

"No you don't know me." She continued, rather glad that he didn't. "Yet you call me faithless and say I act without honour or decency. You mistake caution for cowardice, and use your title as a justification for being disgruntled."

She knew the word Haruspex. She knew all the words, the titles. He was what She was, in a way. Though she was likely far, far better at it by default.

"You judge me as if you know me, and as if you know better than me. And I am the one who is called dishonourable?"

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

ashamin
The Haruspex

"You are not so all seeing as you might believe," Ashamin said with a bitter downturn of the lips. For she was wrong, not he. At least in one way, she was wrong. "Your waterfall reached more than the bear. The injured and brave, too, were awash in its force."

He listened, after that correction. For the ground had been wet with first blood but also her magic. To deny the impact she may have had was foolish and irresponsible. But then again, he hadn't expected someone as quick to betray and attack from the dark to be particularly brimming with integrity.

The judgement that flowed from her then was not unexpected. She seemed bitter and distasteful. She appeared callous and perhaps, well, simply thick in the head. Position in relation to a light source? By God, did the mare not understand the slightest hint of subtlety and metaphor? Yes, she had literally been in the shadow, but so had he. Everything was in shadow, even now. "I can see that we have different values. I was taught by a brave warrior that to fight is to fight with honour--to protect. At the battle of the Blood Falls I and many others perceived a threat. One shown to us by our God, the one who has protected this land for so long. Not a beast that drooled poison and bled fire from its veins. That spread sickness and brought chaos into piece."

Ashamin searched for her gaze in the shadow. He was not cowardly here, he had only confidence. Confidence that this mare was not, as far as he was quickly becoming concerned, worth her words. "I and many others fought to protect Helovia from that threat. And when I fought you I did not fight the formal challenger I had asked for, but the enemy that from all I could tell was a cosmic force--an ambush that I would never be able to touch. To find that the one who was too cowardly to protect the land that cradles her was the same as that force was not a surprise." His tail twisted at his back--his heart began to pound again as it had in their spar. Just hearing her pathetic excuses was enough to make him wish to fight again.

"You are wrong again, too. I used my title only so that you understand what a god can do for a mortal in this land, because clearly you do not," he then added. The irony was something he would perhaps never discover. The hatred still burned too hot to consider that a mare who had defended a false god from the rift might know something of Helovia's own lore--might even be born in to it. "I am 'disgruntled' because of your actions. I am still here because of the same God you did not trust. Perhaps you didn't hurt him, I'm not sure you even could, but you stood on the wrong side that day, and I will not sit here and hear you justify your mistake."

The answer to his question grew clearer as the shadows around them seemed to unfurl. The night was deeper but calmer; the haruspex's heart grew dim. "Yes, I have called you dishonourable. If you wish to prove me wrong, I will not stop you. If you were not dishonourable before, if you are not now... I will give you another chance." He looked away as he spoke but snapped back to her figure when the sentence turned down. Was it jealousy that he felt? Jealousy for her certainty? She may have been utterly wrong, but she believed at least that she was completely in the right. And though Ashamin was not swayed by her flimsy defense, he still had his own reasons to doubt the events of that day--reasons beyond and far better than this mare's apparent unfeeling. He dug a hoof into the ground as pain bore upon him again and thought of anything other than the fear that he was wrong.

"Stop philosophizing. We are all simple, mortal creatures here in the eyes of the Gods, whether you believe in their power or not. Just answer the question I asked of you, and perhaps you can prove yourself honorable yet."

Should she refuse, he already knew the fastest way home.

""

Image Credits

(Sorry for the wait)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia

Isopia's gaze remained wholly neutral as she listened.  Ashamin's responses infuriated her on an academic level; he did not seem to follow the flow of her arguments and substituted fallacious emotional outbursts for rigorous reasons. Still, the fact that he hadn't just walked off after her first attempt to answer him dulled the sterile frustration that she could feel somewhere in the back of her mind. So few of her interlocutors had the academic prowess to keep up with her vast mind - but even fewer of them actually bothered to stick around and try to. Even if Ashamin wasn't trying to formulate his thoughts into something coherent or validly structured, at least he appeared to be trying to do something, and that was more than she could say for most.

Blinking, the girl exhaled. He had said so much, and so many things which were just false. Where to start?

You are not so all seeing as you might believe

"But you are?". Her voice was not as challenging as before - merely inquisitive. Again her mind whirled back to the first fight with the Rift Gods. She saw her water extinguish Aithniel's fire as it bled across the bear's coat. She saw her magic wash away blood and feathers from Kaj. She saw attacks halted and de-stabilized as they failed to pierce through her watery veil. But unless Ashamin was counting whatever resulting wetness those around her might have experienced, he was wrong. She had hurt no one.

"Then I was merely protecting as well. If you were in a war - a just war let's presume - would you not be able to ascribe bravery and honour to those you fought against? At least in same cases? If so, then it's possible to ascribe honour to an opponent. As you have judged, I was your opponent on that day, but I fought to protect, just as you did. I fought, as I said, for a reprieve. The Gods are not infallible - if that isn't clear to you by their abundance of admitted mistakes and shortcomings, then it should at least have been clear during that battle. Were there not two Gods that day? One yelling charge, and one yelling to stop? We invaded their homes; that they fought back was not unpredictable. You chose to listen to your patron God, you followed bias and personal information. I followed a more objective line of reasoning. I hurt no one - it was not my intention to. You all turned into a mob as soon as the God of Time gave the word. Surely your warrior-teacher did not just teach you to blindly follow?" Shaking her head and exhaling a stream of warm air, after having spoken for so long, and continued. "Did your brave warrior not teach you the difference between what you perceive to be the case - as in the perceived threat of the Blood Falls, by your own admission - and what is actually the case?" Her voice had fallen back into its academic cadence, as if their bodies were not exhausted from their recent spar, and as if the tension in the air was not thick around them. They might have been strolling along the beach discussing morality given the lightness and curiosity in her voice. "We didn't know enough about the Bear God to commit him to death. I do not kill just because a God tells me to." There. That was it then - the differences he spoke of. Ashamin's loyalties ran deeper and more distant that Iso's did - but that was only because he didn't know. He would not be so loyal to Gods who played with their lives with such fickle attention, if he knew better.

"We are all just cosmic forces." She mumbled - waving a wing as if it indicate that her comment didn't require a response, although her quad-horned head shook a little indicating her disappointment in his metaphysical inadequacies. However as he mentioned the land which supposedly cradled her - her golden eyes flashed and her giant-body straightened to attention. The desire to immediately correct his mistake throbbed on her tongue, begging to be uttered. But Isopia had never used her lineage in an argument - it had never been relevant. Until now. "This land does not cradle me." She corrected, her voice cold and certain. "I was born to cradle it. That is my duty - to balance the world and temper it - and that obligation is above whatever command the Time God gave. It is in my bones and my blood. " I am a part of the furniture of this world that you merely walk through. "You can judge my actions as cowardly, from behind your veil of ignorance and mismatched virtues. Your ethical net is not wide enough to make sense of my actions, and that is fine. But don't fool yourself into thinking that just because you catch only fish with the meager net you have, that whales do not exist. There are more things in heaven and earth than are captured by your world view."

So that you understand what a god can do for a mortal in this land, because clearly you do not

Iso's lips twisted into a half smile and half frown. Of course he was wrong - she knew better than most what it was the Gods could do for them (and what they couldn't). Although Iso kept her lineage mostly secretive, she had never been so tempted to simply state who she was. It was not pride that fostered this inclination, but merely the opportunity to correct Ashamin, who was clearly so misguided in this thinking. That he would attribute wrongness to disobeying the wishes of the Time God was preposterous. She was sure that if her uncle was here in the flesh, he would agree. Disagreeing with him was not inherently bad. Nothing in this world was inherently bad.

Isopia exhaled and shook her head.  Ashamin was like a bad student, too foregone into his own certainties to see his errors. Perhaps she had misjudged him. He was not here to learn and foster his intellect. He was here, continuing to talk to her now, to reassure himself that he was not wrong.

"I understand the Gods far better than you seem to think I do." She said softly, biting back on desire to give him the piece of evidence that might help break his shell of ignorance. But that piece of knowledge was near and dear to her heart. If he had not been at the battle for the Isles, to see her with her Father in clear relation, nor seen her battle against the other four rift Gods who entered, then perhaps even the blatent truth of her lineage would not help. He was too far gone in his own misguided world.

Just answer the question I asked of you.

"What question?" She asked, genuinely perplexed.

@Ashamin

ashamin
The Haruspex

He was listening, he really was. But at a certain point her words just felt like this to the Haruspex:

Psychobabble psychobabble we are cosmic forces I am great and you are not and that is that.

Ashamin was tired. If it weren't just his body dragging him down, her words weighed heavy on his mind. He was so sure of himself, but so was she. Something about her certainty shook his own. And though he had been prepared to leave at the moment she admitted her poor listening skills--asked him what question?--he found himself wondering if that was really the right choice. It would accomplish his goal of escaping this infuriating mare's lecturing and allow him some sleep and rest, perhaps even a chance to be healed. For his sake, it was a better decision. But for that of his reputation, and of this mare's opinion of him which still, still he could not shake wanting to be positive, he knew he had to stay.

When at last she stopped speaking, he did not rush to an answer as before. He had said what he would keep saying. This dialogue would go no further on this track.

"If it would please you, you have won," he said tiredly but without judgement. His long, snaked tail flopped uselessly to the earth. Slowly, he began to walk past her and to the water. "You are right, perhaps all are brave in some ways. Perhaps that made even you brave, I am sure there are different definitions of the word and it is not my place to say yours is untrue."

It was pride that he was swallowing, but also the faint trace of blood from biting his tongue. Whatever it took, he would be the better beast here. "But you have not heard my question, and I do not wish to repeat it. I don't believe it would do us any good now. Things spoken in anger should not be said when the storm has passed, so please..." Ashamin looked back at her from where he stood, hooves in the water and legs shaking from a combination of cold and the sudden crash of pain on his weak form "...let this rest. Perhaps another time I could engage with you, but I know now from what I have said that nothing of value will come from this. At this time I will learn nothing more than I may already have, and I don't believe that you will, either. I would rather we put this evening to a quiet truce."

Ashamin looked down at the water; his battered reflection and the faint red tracks of blood on its dark surface stared back through impatient ripples. That battle-hearted animal hated these concessions, this willingness to retire into quiet. But sometimes these things had to be done. If this was not for his own sake, then let it be for the stubborn mare's.

A sigh escaped him and he realized, as he tried to pull it back into his electric heart, how much it hurt to breathe. "Besides, don't you think we have done enough damage already?"

""

Image Credits

@Isopia

Isopia

[COULDN'T RESIST.]

If it would please you, you have won.

Isopia's brows knit together in obvious confusion, and a wave of troubled understanding broke through her stoic exterior. "Won what?" She mumbled in response - only voicing half of the pertinent questions in her mind. The second half being, and why would winning please me? But as he began to move, Isopia bit back on the latter half of her thought, and watched him go.

His following statement sounded .. defeatist, or at the very least like he was taking the easy way out. Why bother saying something at all, if later it becomes unimportant? What made it lose its value? Why did being angry entail words which were unmeant? That he accused her of an inability to learn made her snort and shake her quad-horned skull sadly. Learning was all she did, was all that mattered to her. Yet the foundationalessness of his words made it such that no real ire boiled up in her system. How could it? In a sense Isopia did feel his weariness - she was tired of correcting him endlessly.

Besides, don't you think we have done enough damage already?

But no, she hadn't. Even as he washed away the blood of their tussle, Isopia's body was already beginning to knit itself back together. As mosses and grasses roamed their way up her formidable legs, her godly blood was at work on the inside. The gash on her knee had already clotted and was nearly closed, with a new layer of skin already having formed over the wound. She was by no means an athletic creature at this point, but no longer did she feel as exhausted as she had when their spar had ended.

Silently, Isopia stared at the Haruspex as new ripples broke across the surface of the water with each of his movements. Once again, and surely not for the last time, she felt dejected. She was an outsider, with no one else in the world who thought as she did, and hungered as she did. Nothing she ever did was right - not by the meagre standards of the mortals around her. Maybe she was starting to understand the plight of her Father and her godly kin. Maybe she understood why the mortals hated them so much, and why they seemingly did not care.

And so, with another burst of magic - this time a magic far more outward looking than the inward powers which had been at work during her silent contemplation, Isopia slipped into her petite ravens body and disappeared into the night. Leaving Ashamin once again alone in the moonlight.

@Ashamin