the Rift

everybody wants you. [Mauja/Tolio]

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

After escaping Leander she had did her best to pursue new numbers. Aware her herd was still loyally remaining together, she wanted to straighten out some issues within herself before gathering with them once again. This was a cause now, and it fueled her for a reason to exist, a drive, a want, a need. Already her mind was cranking, and turning out ideas and plans. She had had enough of damned equines taking her home by their empty reasons. And the red maned wanted to do her part.

She worked her way through the cold, leading Tolio along the paths of her fellow unicorns. Easy was not in her vocabulary as she slowly jogged. Her hoove clipped through the frozen terrain, her body still trying to rapidly heal. It was seeming to take forever.

The wound at her shouler was a bit of an awful mess, much as she tried keeping it clean, it oozed both blood, and at times a nasty smokey colored liquid. The skin had patched itself to a point but, she had a nice jagged line revealing her flesh. Her burns were likely the worst. They were cast on her right where scaly patches of skin dawned her withers, part of her back, along four of her ribs. It had hardened to a point, but it wasn't as elastic as her unharmed skin, and did not care for her movement. Times there was crimson drops leaking from it from being opened. It did not slow her progress. The lady's motions were quick, but strange as she seemed to try not to stretch her core. All was not bad, the small hole in her neck, despite how she could not see it was least wanting to close.

The more steps they took, the more the landscape changed to a dominant white. They still had a ways to venture, and she looked to Tolio. "This is where we try to stay collected, least for now since it is not exactly a place where everyone flocks," she offered to the dotted stallion, hoping to add some clarity to the situation.

Continuing onward, the cold started to strengthen it's grip and Faelene would press her ears to her head. She tried to listen if he spoke, and remain aware of their surroundings, sometimes stopping to check there was no spies, or fellow Unicorns. It was only the two of them, and it kept her thoughts calm, and focused. If only her hair would grow back, she was warm except for ironically where burning wings had clipped her.

Soon there work was worth it, and her dark eyes looked to the tall mountain faces. She followed the range, and was welcomed by the sea. It was here they had first gathered, and where she would halt. With ragged breaths she took her time to collect her wind letting her companion do the same. It was better to be prepared, and in a good state for a better expression. (Though she wasn't too concerned Tolio wouldn't fit in.) With a proud rise of her head, she let out an alto whinny for Mauja to meet her, and she waited.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
( wasn't sure if you wanted me to wait for Tolio or not, but I figured it can't hurt if I post? xP )

Striking mights and maybes even more

A useless thing called life

It's a biting cold again

Days passed, nights passed; the earth kept on turning, not at all disturbed by the political shifts within as small a land as Helovia, when the entire world was a place of turmoil and war. Sometimes he wondered why it was that way, why every land seemed to have a history steeped in blood, and a future as chaotic as a thunderstorm looming on the horizon. Even here, it was that way, though surely he was slightly to blame for it - stirring up the hornet's nest in a land where peace and equality otherwise ruled. The ice wraith sighed, a cloud of white rising from his dark nostrils, and gave his head a gentle shake. He could do nothing about it, except fight for what he believed in here and let the rest of the world fall to ruin. Perhaps one day Helovia would find stability and peace under his rule. If all else failed, he could kill everyone. Then there would be no one to challenge him, no one to stir up trouble. A humorless smile flitted across his face as he paced across the snowy face of the Frostbreath, working to keep his hairless haunches warm. Tor had done wonders healing them and cleansing him of infection, but the hair had yet to grow out.

A call caught his attention, head shooting up as ears swept forth. It was for him, a summons, and he was fairly certain he knew the voice - Faelene, no? On a couple of other occasions the red-haired mare had called for him, and since it'd be terribly rude and counterproductive to ignore her, Mauja altered his path towards the source of the call and set off at an elegant, high-kneed trot. He was used to moving through lands like these, balancing with ease and instinctively flexing to counter any slip. After a few minutes he let out a cry of his own to let her know that he was coming - he, and the owl perched on his shoulder, thick talons digging into his skin and flesh whenever she nearly fell. Not yet fledged as she was, she was forced to ride on him while the feathers and bones of her wings grew, muscles gaining strength as she flapped them daily. She was determined to spend as little time as possible on his shoulder, and he wondered if it was for any dislike of his movement, or just a fierce love for the sky.

When her dark shape broke the horizon of the isthmus, the sea closest to land covered by ice but dark water running beneath it, he saw that she was not alone; something bright stood beside her, gaily colored chestnut. It seemed an odd contrast with such a bright stallion next to Faelene's rather dark body, but they were nearly of a height - he a bit slimmer, perhaps. Mauja towered over them both, as was usual in any meeting. Pristine whit speckled with black he was hard to spot on such a snowy canvas as the Frostbreath, but even so he wasn't trying to hide.

A deep whicker rolled out of his chest, a more personal greeting now that he was close to them. Trot slowed to a walk, warm, dark muzzle extending to brush - gently - against Faelene's. Her wounds were untreated still, and now that he was free from the death stench of his own, it was easier to smell the budding infection in hers. Blue eyes grew concerned - he knew the pain of fire ravaging the hide, drying and cracking, eating away. He knew the pain of moving with it. "Faelene, I have found a healer." He spoke softly, as if afraid to startle her. Pain did strange things to your mind. "You should come see her." Then, he lifted his attention from his dark sister, and onto the stranger. Most of his body was paled with roaning, though he still seemed very bright in the desolate landscape of snow. A white, sturdy horn jutted from his forehead, white covering most of his face too. "Welcome, brother," the dethroned King said, dipping his head in a nod. "I am Mauja."
CREDITS
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Tolio Posts: 110
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 Years 8 Months Buff: NOVICE
Brit

OOC: So late, and so sorry!!

In the hours the two had been traveling, Tolio had barely breathed more than a few words. There was no need for them, as the necessary warnings had been given out when they had first started out, the dark mare leading the way. Many times the cinnamon stallion had eyed her with concern, though he was wise enough not to speak out on that desire. Faelene was clearly hurting, from the battle she had spoken of in the Threshold. Yet she moved with steely determination, careful not to aggravate her injuries. Knowing he could not force her to stop and rest, and also knowing there was a possibility of her becoming offended or taking it the wrong way (i.e. her thinking he was calling her weak) Tolio had remained silent. It pained him, but he respected Faelene enough to let her decide her own boundaries.

When at last she spoke it was only to clarify that the remaining members lingered in this area. Tolio was accepting the cold, though he didn't necessarily favor it. Knowing that his bright chestnut coat was a beacon among this landscape. "True. Though it is certainly a deterrent in most natural ways. Time will allow ideas to form, for now it is merely something we will bear with." Already calmly accepting the idea of living in such a region. Onward once again, Tolio pushing forward with pinned ears to stop the howling and battering in his hearing. Faelene was wary and alert, and Tolio followed her example. He trusted her enough to perform satisfactorily, but extra help was never a bad thing. At last she stopped, putting forth a song for the leader she had spoken of. They stood together, a respectful distance apart, breathing heavier than normal.

Just as Tolio had calmed his breathing, an answering call echoed majestically over the snow. Instinctively Tolio raised his head, eyes searching and ears pricked forward. Minutes passed by, and Tolio finally saw the shape that flickered on the white landscape. It was hard to discern snow from stallion, with the similarly in colors, but the closer he got the easier it was to see him. An owl was perched upon his shoulder, something Tolio had never seen before. He found himself thinking it was a rather intimate sight. Powerful to see them together, in a way. The spotted stallion towered over them both, and Tolio knew from the wounds that caressed his hide that he was a proud warrior. This was someone he could respect.

Despite being the leader, or King as Tolio recalled from Faelene, he wasn't cruel like many Tolio had met. Concern and understanding was obvious in both his movements and softened tone, yet his strong presence remained. Tolio was rather impressed, and stepped forward when the speckled King addressed him. Brother. How long it had been since he had been called such. "A welcome much desired and appreciated, Sir." Nodding in return, though a little lower to show he recognized the position Mauja held. "I am Tolio. I have followed Faelene to these lands to offer my services to you. I do not have much to offer in the ways of skill, Sir, but I will give you the strength I have in this body, and learn whatever it is that can benefit you. All I ask in return is a family that I can defend and belong to until I die." Getting out all he needed to say so that there would be no misunderstandings, and knowing that leaders had to get a feel for one's personality before accepting them. Silvery blue eyes honest but strong as he looked into the eyes of who would hopefully become his leader.

Hidden Account
Sica
Hopefully this makes sense being written at 1:oo am. o.o *twitches*

Tolio was fit company for the journey, not once playing the part of chivalrous knight company the weak damsel in distress. Something quite refreshing to Faelene, because she hated her gender to be the main reason for how she was treated. It should be her character, and actions that decided such things, not what she lacked beneath her thighs. If only other mares, and young fillies had the same idea.

A sigh, she shook her head, letting her long locks drift away from her eyes. Once she looked to Tolio in passing, becoming more curious about him. There could be time for that later. She really did not feel like talking, she felt like she had spilled enough of her insides to Leander. Something she still could not decide was the brightest, and wisest of choices.They had made up, putting it behind them (sorta) so they could move forward. Though what too she did not know. Much as he would want her to untie herself from the Unicorns, she could not. Over the last couple days she had frequently tried to undo knots, and links that had kept her to the now outcast band. If it were not for the battle, not for how she knew them, it might have been possible. It seemed with it she had sealed her fate to them, determined to see the Quian crumble for it's stolen glory. It was with this she wasn't sure how any of his love for her would survive. How conflicted she was, in wanting to hurt and yet not being able to cut him one final blow to begone. Did she love him? Those thoughts were to risky to let free in her mind by reign of her heart. At least now in the frozen tundra where her kind remained.

Tolio took it all in a practical sense, and this brought a more prominent smile to suddenly appear. "You are quite thoughtful stallion, with a way for words," she said, not mocking in her comment, just merry in her tone. Somehow she felt she could speak to him on lots of matters, and it would widen her perception. "I do know Mauja will do what's best, despite too many painting him as something ugly he cares deeply about our kind." It was more information she hoped to give him bit by bit so he could absorb it in good time. She was sure Tolio would have little trouble.

Upon the white, frosty carpet they would wait. There was no telling how long the snowy appaloosa could take, as he could be doing something else. One way or another knowing he would show, she let herself take the moment to rest, and collect her energy. It was greatly needed in this cold.

Upon the horizon her eyes would glimpse the movement of his white hide, trying best to see where his scattered spots gave him away. It was a sight to see the spotted stallion carrying his snowy companion to meet them. Faelene actually had not known he had had an egg, but seeing the pair together there was no doubting it was meant to be. It humored her, the way the creature hung to the top of curve of his shoulders, going everywhere he did, and she did not hide the curve of a grin to her lips. A greeting of a bobbing her snout, she indirectly watched Tolio's reaction. What was to the look of his eye only made Faelene's heart be at peace. Tolio belonged, he wanted to just as she.

The almost ritual greeting of bumped noses was something else that eased her mind. However, the worry that swirled in blue pools would cause ears to rotate back, and she forced her visage not to tense. It was not scolding she was receiving, but a thought of care she told herself.."I promise I will," she answered, actually relieved to hear it. There would be nothing worse if she grew ill because of her wounds. It would do nobody any good too lose another number. She swiftly added,"I was on the look out for Unicorns, and was pleasantly surprised to meet this one." The lady's head with drift in the chestnut's direction, letting him say his part. She too would let her charcoal eyes settle to the ice blue of Mauja, studying the white mask. When it came a moment of quiet, she had to look upon the owl's whose eyes matched his. "She is very lovely."

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
no worries, either of you ;P <3

Striking mights and maybes even more

A useless thing called life

It's a biting cold again

It was good to know that life would go on, that they would rebuild - that not he alone shared this dream, this.. goal. To call it a dream, did not really do it justice, as it was not to unattainable. They simply had to reach out..from the shadows..grasp what they wanted and hold it through the storm of hell that would surely come. Faelene had visited the Threshold a few times in the past, and that she continued now despite them being set adrift in the sea of snow was heart-warming. He was not alone in this. He, alone, did not need to shoulder the burden of moving them forward. As long as others, like Faelene, helped to share the burden, to take up the slack when others grew tired for a while, they could do it. Together. Together they would gain momentum. To have the proof of this in front of him, that just because they no longer lived in the Edge they wouldn't wither... that they would go on, operate as usual despite a change in circumstance... Few things could be more inspiring than that, lifting a burden he hadn't been aware of from his heart.

"Thank you," he murmured, sincere, heartfelt, even as his attention shifted to the chestnut stallion. He seemed pleasant enough, and Faelene had found no fault with him, so the King doubted that he would either. Charcoal-rimmed ears flipped forward as the other began to speak, drinking in the nuances of his voice and the meaning of his words, while watching him more closely than he seemed to. He seemed honest at least, but it was very hard to tell with strangers. Tolio. For a moment Mauja was silent, mulling over the words, something thoughtful in his eyes, though there was no chance in hell he'd turn such a unicorn away. Merely a heartbeat or two passed before Faelene's voice cut into the quiet, commenting on.. what? For a moment he had to think before realizing that she was talking about the owl. A wry, vaguely amused grin curled his lips as he nudged the notion that Faelene liked her Irma's way - as he had suspected, he was met with a wall of cold indifference. Being a solitary creature she had no understanding for herds and their workings, nor why she should appreciate a compliment from another. Perhaps he would thaw her icy heart with time, but who knew?

"Thank you - though she would not say the same. She doesn't really understand why I insist on being around my own kind... It's not in her nature to do it." He gave a small, apologetic shrug, forcing the urge to return the compliment. It would be weird, calling her beautiful in that way. She was unique with her blood-red hair, had a fairly average, compact build, more homely than stunning, but when it came down to it, her appearance was certainly not why he valued her. She was the reason, plain and simple as that, though it worried him slightly how much he had come to depend on others as his herd grew in numbers. Would that be his downfall?

His blue eyes switched back to Tolio, kindness in them and a smile on his face. "I will be more than happy to include you in my extended family, Tolio. These are unstable times and unusual circumstances, both which pulls us all closer - there is no room for doubting one another. If you wish to learn how to physically protect, there are many warriors, myself included, who would not mind teaching you." Smoothly he drew forth a step, a slight disturbance in the greater scheme of things, and aimed to bump his warm, soft muzzle against Tolio's: the final, official hello, welcome.
CREDITS
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Tolio Posts: 110
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 Years 8 Months Buff: NOVICE
Brit

There was a sense to Faelene that she was deep in thought for most of the journey. Tolio was curious about the dame, she was certainly a complicated character. Her thoughts were not something he wished to or would intrude on, but as an individual she was curious to him. She had more depth than the shallow creatures that infected the shadows of the land these days. Never mind that, he reminded himself. There would be time later for conversation. He was brought from his musings by Faelene's voice, a welcome sound compared to the fierce sound of the wind. With no foliage to block it, it spread quickly across the frozen land. And straight into his ears. It was something he would grow used to, he told himself pleasantly. Refusing to look on the dim side with the possibility of a home auead. Quirking an appreciative smile at her compliment. "Thank you. I find that it's best to think before speaking. Certainly gets you out of many tumbles." Grin turning playful and mischievous, as was normal for him. Yet the sincerity responding to her words shone quite clearly in his silver eyes. Her little drops of information sated him briefly, as a thirst is quenched by small streams. Not much was given yet it was infinitely useful to him, painting a picture in his mind of what he would find in this leader of hers.

A deep sigh echoed from his cinnamon chest, tainting the air where the warmth touched the cold and eventually died to the small puffs of his breath. "Sadly the words that drift like smoke from ear to ear are not always true. And equally as impossible to stop as the material itself when found in nature. The only thing one can do is turn away or laugh in their petty faces because you know the truth. If this is happening to your leader as it happens to many, then he is stronger than I to keep his temper. Perhaps it is smart as well. It may be a good defense when concerning outsiders." Finding he was talking quite a lot he gave a little grin of apology as they began their wait.

It wasn't long to wait, which Tolio was minutely thankful for. Movement was best in cold atmospheres. The gentle touch of noses was intriguing and enlightening. The spotted stallion was already slowly making a rather good impression on him. Relieved that Faelene did not object to his plea to find the healer. Tolio had watched her carefully without a word, concerned. Knowing he didn't have the position to tell her to find help. Silently thanking Mauja and finding his concern a proud trait to have.

Mauja didn't speak after Tolio introduced himself. Merely studying him. It was a little intimidating which Tolio had anticipated. Standing still and unmoving beneath his stare, letting him dissect him with ice blue eyes. He had nothing to hide and though he knew telling him this would not make him believe him he wished it would. Thankfully it seemed the both of them were momentarily confused by Faelene's compliment, and his eyes turned again so that the owl fell under his vision. Silently giving a small nod of agreement unconsciously. She was a beauty, with rather stunning features similar to her bonded. Their conversation was light and Tolio respectfully stayed out of it. Only turning to pay attention when the mighty stud turned his gaze back to him. Only now they were kind, and Tolio gave his ears only to his words. "Thank you, Mauja. It is an honor. You have before you an eager pupil. I will seek these warriors you speak of as soon as I can. Not many leaders would offer their own tutoring, thank you Sir." Face soft and sincere. Yet another trait that Tolio admired in the stallion it seemed. As Mauja stepped forward he did the same, extending his neck and gently brushing against the others muzzle. Familiarizing himself with the scent, warmth touching warmth in the vast land of cold. Tolio quietly swore on his parents souls that he would serve this proud stallion, forever. Already the urge to help, to learn stirred inside him. If this was how he was treated, then he would make sure that they regained their lands.

Hidden Account
Sica
ooc; this is awful i am so sorry.

A rare smile carried on her lips, happy Tolio did not hold his tongue, but spoke in return of what she said. She was putting his words to memory, knowing they could serve her well one day. The back of her mind she made a mental note to speak to him more, she should get to know somebody, and he was not afraid to speak. Mauja upon the scene, her attention was in the moment.

There was no readiness for a thank you from the Frostheart, but she met his light blue eyes as the words entering her ears, and there was no hiding the gratitude carried. A question lingered in her eyes, for she would yet grasp what she had done. Something about recruiting, but her tongue remained in place. Surely everyone was thinking the same thing. They had to continue on, and she would do what she could to see it through. It seemed small in her eyes, and it was a time like this she wished she knew Mauja better. His attention was split several ways and she rather not be another thing to dived it. All the same what she did know of him was certain enough to give him her loyalty. Kind, good natured, caring, and rather selfless without being smug or demanding. He had fought, and suffered in the same battle. There was a reason he was King to her, because he did not want the title for power.

Quietly her charcoal surveyed the pair, not mistaking the honest tone Tolio's voice seemed to naturally have. Upon her comment the pale charger would pause, not first knowing what she meant. She attempted to smile, hoping not to have stolen Tolio's moment, when Mauja seemed to try to speak with his companion.There was hardly a change to the creature's face, the stallion trying to make better what was silence. Her smaller cranium would nod a couple degrees, listening to the explanation. There was no sorrow, but understanding. She had not really thought to be replied too. Surely the owl was young, and holding to Mauja. Another Unicorn could hardly be interesting.

"That's alright, giving a compliment to receive one is not something I care for, and she is young" she answered with a half smile. She wasn't sure herself why she had said it, something to escape her on a whim. Thinking upon the nature of owls it would make sense his behavior was strange for his bonded. "I'm sure it's something hard to adjust to, and I imagine it could be hard for her to share you." Faelene shifted her eyes once more to the owl. Creatures bonded were rare where she came from as most companions had been killed, and were unheard of after the new reign. If she was lucky enough to find a match to her soul, she wondered how social she would be with her kind. She could understand why Lace was a traveler, he wasn't such a lonely one.

Thought changed, and she pulled in an eased breath knowing Tolio had a place among them. It wasn't entirely for numbers she wanted him here, it seemed he should be. She could not account for what made her feel that way, that he just belonged. Would he feel the same way? Attention upon Mauja, she listened, knowing that when she was healed she herself would like to spar again. There was faint amusement to her eyes, wondering if her last partner would be up for it. Tolio seemed incline to learn, and she silently watched as the stallions made the same greeting, if it was a glimpse to what lie beneath their coats. "If I was more...experienced in fighting I would help spar, but I'm not one for proper instruction."