the Rift

[OPEN] See you [Fire-watching]

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
Maren

. . . so i go growing roses in the disarray.

As the world had burst into life; into the born chaos that had let its breath blow like a wind of change over the lands... Now, after time had passed —the Gods had gone once more— it was denser with quiet than she could have ever imagined. (Was it like this before?) The rough caress of the blow was now merely a part of history: The history she was obligated to make sure would be remembered. By her... by them— Her silent gaze lay still on the empty horizon where only the sun shone in the summer-sky, although… in her mind there was the projection of the family covering her eyes and filling up the invisible frame of her mind’s eye. It was for them she needed to —for them and whoever came after her; she needed to remember. She needed to know... this and more. And even though she had indeed speculated, puzzled and pondered on... and on... and on, in the end she realized it didn’t matter.

It didn’t matter at all.

And just like that the world was left before her eyes, the Throat quiet in its dusty prestige. She watched it for a while in this spot that had lost its shade long ago already, as the Sun had walked its path along the day. She had only stayed put as she had thought more about… things. Inside the frame of her vision lay the line of the horizon, the heightening sun in the middle, while on the left the fires dances and continued to spit out their grey smoke. She watched it all, drifting away on the palms of her own sea of thoughts.

Because still she could not hit the brakes on this everlasting compelling ability to conceive, this ultimate need to simply understand.

So she had taken a few steps back as she had finally been able to wrench her thoughts loose from the self-concern and the pity. Broadening her shrunken mind once again. Of course she was worried, concerned, still… But being just a fragile, worthless thing in this splendid world, there was little for her to rightfully worry about. She had realized this once again as she had watched the fires dance in the mornings that had come and gone.  

Still she did, of course, even while knowing it was useless. The days following the Chaotic Rift-shreddings her muscles had been tense, her mind upset. And in those thoughts there was still confusion, there was still hurt, although she now knew it had been only herself who had slapped herself in the brains —with her own unappreciated idiocy. So even though she would remember and tell onwards the story of this little chunk of history she had been a part of, she would not look back on her sinful questions involving blasphemy, not let them slip her lips once more.  That part of her lay buried somewhere in the depths of the waters, somewhere she would only find it again when it had been reduced to a perhaps more useful kind of dust. One she could feel proud of having circling in her thoughts, instead of the guilt there was now.

But that and these regretful things were slowly moving away from her as days went on and as they faded away she became more relaxed again. Now that more time had passed —now that the recent events were no more than fragments in her memory, history pressed on an intangible timeline — it had quieted down.

She knew stuff and she didn’t knew stuff and, no matter how frustrating that was, perhaps that was okay.

So she let out a serene sigh as she put her hooves on the ground again to stand up, watched the fires from this distance for another while before closing that gap by wandering over to the Sacred place. She felt the heat as she found her place next to the fire, pressing on the already existing warmth of the summer. One that was quite gentle this year. She watched them dance; the flames, hoping to find something in between their fast-paced symphony of curling and stretching, fading and re-emerging, spitting cinders and smoke, for maybe there was something hidden in them this time.

Image Credit

@Random Event, and open!
Fire-watching
Please tag me 

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
-

Even in the bright Tallsun day, the fires and the mare standing watch over them stood out in the arid land of the Throat. Mesec was certain that he hadn’t ever wandered over to this part of the Throat before - there never really not having been reason to do so. He assumed that he would not be an appropriate emissary to the Sun God due to his blood and had sought after different ways that he could help the herd. Hopefully, under the guidance of Cera, he’d be able to do just that as a member of the crafters. Perhaps he should find the golden paint soon, see how the irrigation and other systems that were being made for the Throat were going, but for now his legs moved him in a different direction.

He approached cautiously, not wanting to startle her if she was concentrating. Although he stood out in this environment, a drop of night in the bright day, he had accidentally started others here before. Perhaps he moved too quietly, never wanting to be disruptive or a nuisance. Though more than likely it had nothing to do with him and more to do with his friends being lost in thought - anyone might have snuck up on them.

Now, though, he came to stand nearby the tiger-striped priestess - just off her right side - and flashed her a warm smile as he greeted her. “Hello Maren. It’s good to see you again.” It had been a little while since they first met, down in the caves near the heart of Helovia. There he had shared with her stories of the land, stories of how they had been driven under there by a darkness that they still did not know the source of. Now that he was thinking about it, he wondered if it had anything to do with the new lands and the creatures that had been fought recently.

Something to wonder about at a later time.

He doesn’t relax or settle in quite just yet, wary of his company not being desired. If she was using the fires to talk to the Sun God, maybe she didn’t want company or it would be a distraction for him to be standing here. To be honest, he had no idea how divining worked. “Would you mind some company?” He was hopeful, curious silver eyes trailing to the burning fires, but would be respectful of her wishes if she preferred to be alone.

and that's me, that's me, the boy with the broken halo
that's me, that's me ________________ the devil won't let me be

artwork by the fabulous tamme

hope you don't mind <33
@Maren
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Maren

She hadn’t noticed him. Not at first, at least, but even though the fires did not seem to have anything to show her, she was still so lost in the coloursplash of dancers that it was only when he spoke that she noticed there was someone else beside her tiger-striped frame.

”Hello Maren…”  She turned her alabaster head around and met the pegasus’ moonlit eyes. Her own wings, that had been leaning on the warm air (asleep), rose to flutter in surprise. “Mesec,” she noticed, imaginary eyebrows raised as she switched between - thinking - and actually putting her tongue to use for the first time that day. But then her silent, golden gaze rolled back to the blossoming flames, lips curling up as her shuffling wings started to relax once more. “It’s good to see you again as well. With all this chaos going on I don’t know who to expect anymore,” she sighed, voice traced by a cold nonchalance. “…Who I will see and who I won’t again,” she let her outlandish lips form as her eyes lay cold in their everlasting, golden silence. Then again, for more than four years she had lived a traveller's’ life. She could not pretend she wasn’t used to parting ways. She was used to knowing she would never see someone again, did not have that luxury of pitying. Letting out emotions for those forever lost. Next to that it was nature’s way. And who was she to argue against nature?

Yet, this was different. Recently, all the chaos combined, it had flustered her -had proven to actually hurt.

But, like how the fires kept on dancing in their everlasting and sacred glorious symphony, her feelings only mattered so much. She could only sway as far as they did. Could only bow as deep as these fires… only to get up again. Because even if the Flames let her be as fickle as them, there were still walls on both sides of the spectrum.

“Would you mind some company?”

Her eyes, hypnotised by the flames once more, woke up from their falling-back-into-though. “Please,”distract me from this internal chaos.

Truth was she welcomed anyone, more than she had ever experienced, these days. “So what are you up to these days?” Her lips curled themselves into a smile once more. “You’re being called the Nightwind now, did you know?” She teased, gifting him the rare sight of her smiling eyes. “I think it fits you, though,” she mused. “It goes well with your mysterious vibe.” And, distracted, she wondered if he knew.

Image Credit

@Mesec <3
Please tag me 

-

Not that it wasn’t nice to hear that it was good to see him again as well, but her addition to that caused his smile to falter. Who I will see and who I won’t again echoed around his mind and he thought of Aviya, thought of the cries at the other fights that suggested that there were further losses. Had the Throat lost anyone? Or were they simply wandering, the changing faces of the herds of Helovia? His eyes drifted to the fires in the silence that followed her statement and it rested heavily on him. It was all too easy to slip into that uncomfortable silence and let the darker thoughts take over.

Fortunately - perhaps for the both of them - it did not last long at all. Mesec was happy when she accepted his offer of company, relaxing where he stood and feeling a smile return to his features. Lucius, curious about the flames, circled overhead but didn’t land just yet - always feeling the need to investigate anyone new that Mesec came across. Or, well, new to him. It was becoming increasingly hard to imagine what life had been like before they had been bonded though there were still many faces that were familiar to the demigod and not his companion.

“I actually joined the crafters, with Cera and Ranjiri.” The corner of his mouth pulled up into a brighter smile at her teasing, returning it in kind. “Are they? You’re always up on the gossip about me, aren’t you Maren?” She had been the one that had alerted him to the fact that his lineage was common knowledge in the Throat. He thought that he remembered someone calling him Nightwind at one of the god battles, maybe his mother? She would be one of the first - and it didn’t surprise him that Maren would also have heard it. “Nightwind though, is it? That’s not too bad.” The ‘mysterious vibe’ jest made him blush, ducking his head a little bit in what he hoped was a subtle enough motion for her not to notice. He wasn’t sure whether being mysterious was a good or bad thing but it sounded like it was supposed to be good.  

“How about you? Have the fires been… talkative?” Was that the right word? It felt uncertain on his tongue when he spoke it and the rise in pitch at the end of the phrase was as much a question about her work as a diviner and a question of whether that was the right word to be using.

@Maren

God of the Sun Posts: 198
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: Ageless
Admin

The GOD of the SUN

Burn the whole world down

The fire frothed and danced as Mesec asked if it had been talkitive. Looming shapes appeared on the sands; shadows which waved and vibrated with life and unknown meaning. From the depths of the flames the glowing figure of the God appeared. For a moment, his pale golden body appeared to have been smelted from the heat of the fire - cracks of lava rained down his flanks, and his hooves breathed and seethed with fire. Stepping from the fire, he regarded Maren with a warm smile, before casting a feigned condescending look towards Mesec.

"Fire doesn't talk, Mesec." He said, not un-kindly to his nephew. Winking with amusement, the God stepped away from the fire, allowing his body to cool down to its normal warm 

"Maren, it is nice to see you - both of you. You both fought bravely in the battles. I am grateful to you both."

Stretching his wings, the God folded them gently against his flanks. He inhaled deeply. The God missed the warm air of the Throat - even now that it had grown considerably saltier, it still recalled fond memories that he often forgot, save for when he lingered here.

"How has the Throat faired in the wake of the battles?"

CREDITS

Maren

Before, she had thought to know what the purpose was of the demi-gods. Now... she wasn't sure anymore; was simply ready to be surprised by whatever way or ways she had been wrong (which said something). But she did not believe it to be taboo for the son of the moon to stand beside her, the seer of the sun — or next the sacred fires, made holy by the moon’s brother himself. "Crafter," she nodded. "If you'd like, you are welcome to help me sometime as I am building a Church. It isn’t going so smoothly though,” she sighed, then shrugged, because in reality she did know that churches weren’t build in a day… or a year (normally, at least). So she smiled, even though in a regretful way, to let him know that it was how it was (but she could still very much use his help). No pressure. Still, perhaps it would be strange for him — perhaps; but if he was going to be a Throat Crafter he might as well help a poor lady out and ignore political-religious ties for once.

Ghe-he,” she chuckled through her nose as he pointed out her obvious curiosity. Which she couldn’t help, of course. But she noticed a change in his expression when she glanced at him side-ways. “Don’t get too carried away,” she told off his blushing face as the corners of her lips curled up. “Just because I confront you with it, doesn’t mean my... gossip (or whatever you call it) doesn't reach beyond you.” And it was true, she found a lot of things interesting. Yet, sometimes it was strange how little some horses knew about what was going on in their herd... or even about themselves. Perhaps they needed a bard. Maybe I can be a bard, she pondered, as she didn’t notice herself falling back into the depths of her mind. A bard-ess? She repeated in sing-sang voice into the well of thought in all different ways she could think of, when finally Mesec’s voice woke her up — again.

Talkative? She was ready to look at him, ready to let her silent, golden eyes, crowned by her heightened, though very much imaginary, eyebrows caress his face in judgement, but she didn’t get the chance to speak the word. Instead, her gaze was left hanging halfway; on the fires. From the smoldering middle, burning gracefully and in most vivid ways, a figure seemed to… grow. A spectacle she hadn’t seen before — But it was happening, so very much happening, as it grew and grew and, finally, stepped from the fires in its winged, smoldering golden frame. And of course there could be no doubt that it was the God of the Sun himself.

She had after all seen him before; twice. Never had she, however, seen him being born into his mortal-looking figure like a phoenix rising from its ashes. And, as a priestess, of course she was utterly speechless for a moment before she could bare to use her tongue again. She felt the kind of warmth in her chest that others got from watching a new born foal see the light for the first time. Her head dipped immediately as he began to speak. However, she could also not help the words that came from her mouth. “If I may disagree, my Lord. The fires do sometimes whisper songs of hope and encouragement from their flaming tongues to those who care to listen,” she spoke softly and respectfully to the heated sand before her hooves. She was thankful and so that reflected in her outlandish tunes. Yet, there was something else there; smoldering, waiting in the depths in its uncertain existence; doubt. But if the flames had not sung and danced in their exotic, mesmerizing ways, she probably hadn’t been able to stand as long besides the fire as she had. And also, as He had communicated through the visions in the fire, the least she could do was to communicate back. She looked up as the God of the Sun asked about the battles that had been fought. She sighed in the depths of the waters of her mind, as she watched the wheels she had no control over spin. There were too many thoughts concerning the battles and all that came with it; so many that there was only one choice for her left to even cope in front of this God she served so closely; ignore. ”The new lands brought illness to some, but none from our herd lost their life to them, or to the battles,” she added, unsure what the God wanted to know; what he didn’t already knew. She thought carefully behind the silence of her golden eyes, questioning herself what to ask. For starters: Why was he here in person in the first place? Was he planning to… uh, stay a few nights? Or did he want a word with Gaucho? And those were the peaceful questions, the ones not related to the battles at all, while there were so many spinning through her head that were. “Such a heavenly surprise…,” she genuinely smiled and it reached her eyes as it so rarely did, for how glad she was to see Him, be in his presence... but along came the worry which, for once, broke through the silent sphere of calm that would normally be there; where the worry was now, had spread into her expression like ink in clear water. She swallowed, frowned. “But what does it mean?”

Image Credit

@Mythical Request
@Mesec
Please tag me 

-

“A church? I would happily assist you, Maren.” It wouldn’t be too strange for him to help erect a place of worship for another god - he had known that the Throat worshiped someone other than his mother when he had sought to join the herd and that fact had been part of the reason why he had come here, after all. “Come find me the next time you’re working on it, okay?” Without crafting magic there was only so much he could do but he could help find her the materials and bring them to the site, whatever she needed from him.

Her chuckle was a welcomed noise, even though it was followed soon by a gentle chiding for him to not get too carried away. Gossip heard was not gossip spoken by Maren, it appeared, and his embarrassment faded with her words. “And I appreciate that.” He found it easy to believe that Maren was speaking the truth - she wasn’t going around the Throat or Helovia and updating them on the tidbits of Mesec’s life she seemed to hear. He didn’t expect very many would be interested in hearing them, anyway, though the subject of his parentage still drew questions. It wasn’t so long ago that Megaera had found out and discussed his future in the herd because of it.

Mesec truly hadn’t been expecting anything to come out of the fire. He had assumed that if the God of the Sun was going to communicate with his diviner, he might have just spoke through the flames rather than appearing himself. Or perhaps send a sign or message in his place. So when the fire began to move after he had last spoken, Mesec jumped a little bit - the feathers on his wings flaring up for a second before settling back down again as he watched in amazement. No matter how many times he saw the gods, their methods of appearing were never boring.

Mesec felt embarrassed for the second time in only a handful of minutes, this time over his own poor choice of words. But as he was ducking his head respectfully in greeting he caught the God’s good-natured wink and relaxed. He didn’t particularly want to make a fool of himself in front of the patron God of this herd. And then Maren’s soft voice was disagreeing, speaking with poetry of how the fire could talk. She wasn’t defending him (there really wasn’t any need) but Mesec smiled at her all the same, if only for the lovely things she had spoken. He wondered if the fires would sing such songs to him, if he listened.

He was listening now, though, content to stay quiet - only muttering a sincere “And you, sir.” when the God spoke of how it was good to see them both. Beyond that, he did not want to interrupt Maren as she answered the questions posed by the God. He was worried that speaking too much would make his presence unwanted but mostly, he was just curious about the exchange between diviner and god - wondering how often the Sun came to visit when she called. Her comment of how the Throat had lost none was met with mixed emotions on his part. Mesec was glad, of course, that none of their herd had been killed but there were still losses and they were too near to him to find much joy in the memories.

Silver eyes, warm with a smile, moved between the two he stood with - Maren asking the question he had as well, the question always swimming in his mind about one thing or another. What does it mean.

@Mythical Request

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SUN

"You may disagree all you like-" He chuckled warmly. "But ah, but this isn't just fire-" The God corrected with a handsome smile. "These flames are an extension of myself. They are more than just heat and light, and so of course they sing. Regular fire, as you well know Maren, only burns and destroys."

The God nodly sadly as Maren stated that none in the Throat had died from the Riftian Wars. Just because it wasn't his own kin who suffered, did not mean that their lost lives did not heavily weigh upon his conscience. "I am glad to hear that. And while my brother healed all those with remaining illnesses, I know that lives were still lost. For that, all of Helovia weeps."

On the more positive side, there hadn't been quite the backlash that the God had been expecting. These were outsiders afterall, and Helovia often had a funny way of dealing with those who didn't fit perfectly into the norm. Thought perhaps Helovia was growing in more than just territory. Maren for example, had wings which seemed misplaced, and yet here she was in all of her striped glory, perfectly acclimatizing to life in the desert.

"What does what mean?" The God asked, a warm ray of confusion falling down his sculpted exterior. Was she referring to the purpose of the battles in the first place? Surely she had heard - the speech given by He and his siblings at each battle was more or less the same, wasn't it? That they had appropriate lands, dwarfed by sickness, and had healed them? Brought them to Helovia so that their own world could grow and prosper, while simultaneously defending and protecting those who needed their aid? Or did she mean his presence here? That shouldn't have been much of a surprise. It was his fire she was praying to - why shouldn't he have come?

CREDITS

Time the Dice Queen Posts: 144
OOC Account atk: 50 | def: 50 | dam: 50
Mare :: Other :: 5'7 :: 22 HP: 5050 | Buff: DROPKICK
Time
Unarchived per request

Maren

Somehow it surprised her that he knew, yet at the same time it was so immensely logical. And she was glad he did, for she didn't wanted to hide after all. She didn't deliberately not tellRegular fire only burns and destroys — But somehow things just happened, or not. However, she had learnt — started to learn, at the very least, how fire held a place in this world. How it was not to blame for whatever had happened to her so long ago. And, even though the child inside her wasn't ready yet to embrace that along with her, there was still something small that could be called progress. She dipped her head once more, out of an appreciation of a different kind this time. "It does," she whispered back, her mind falling as silent as it would ever as that silver string of memories, the ones she had attempted to forget, fell in shining, glimmering wisps down the well of her mind. They fell into the depths as the Sun's words carried her away, just before the aged collection of remembrance could: Ran in front of her like little blossoms on a sultry summer-wind merely following the sight of the sun. She nodded as the frown had come to grow around her eyes with the question she had spoken.

She swallowed, remembered that Mesec was here as well and it felt a little lighter around her red-striped shoulders. The question with which her Lord answered her own, got her a bit... confused. Wasn't it obvious? Or did she just not know enough after all? Did it happened more often that the Gods appeared themselves before the seers eyes? Had he sprouted from the flames once before, just not for her?

The only answer she could come up with was that maybe she had not been worthy enough until now. "What does it mean that you are here as you are now?” she wondered in her outlandish tune. “Is there perhaps something you are meant to do or to say?"to warn us, echoed against the walls of her mind. Ignored it. “Or is there something you want us to do?" she tried, for what reason could a God have to appear in his earthly shape, while so far the only reasons had been to grant quests to those in luck —or fight battles with false Gods.  

Image Credit

@Mesec
Please tag me 

-

When the Sun God continued to speak of the losses, Mesec’s silver eyes looked away from the pair. He wanted to avoid his own grief and maybe if he could shut out the sad voice of his uncle he would be able to. Aviya’s death followed swiftly by d’Artagnan’s departure of Helovia - and he still could not say for certain that he had caused his sister’s death. Although he had heard recounts of that day from Najya, Ampere, and Megaera it was a day hidden in shadow. Certainly an issue that he hoped to solve when the time came.

But there wasn’t much time to wallow in grief, fortunately, as Maren moved on and clarified her question for the god - explaining that she had meant that she had been wondering  what it meant that he had appeared before them on this day. His attention pulled back fully to the pair before him, feeling every bit Maren’s shadow in this conversation and not minding in the slightest as silver eyes moved from one to the other. He felt honoured that he was allowed to be here, allowed to play a part, even if it remained a silent one. There seemed no point in jumping in to help the diviner explain when she seemed to have it all settled herself (it was her job, after all).

His mind wandered in his silence, wondering if this was the first time that the god had actually appeared before this diviner. Sometimes it was easy for him to forget that the appearance of the gods wasn’t as common as he thought it to be - being a demigod rather took out the mystery. This was the first time he had ever been in the presence of a diviner when they called for a god and he had always just assumed that they would show up, busy as they were. An assumption he made based on whatever privilege he had experience, it seemed, for clearly it wasn’t true. Her question had seemed a fair one, why this fire-watching instead of the others? Perhaps the gods were simply being more attentive after the battles - it certainly wouldn’t be surprising.

@Mythical Request

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SUN

The God’s brows knit themselves together in increased confusion. Only now that which was perplexing was not the subject of Maren’s question, but the why behind it.

Did she not understand her role within the herd? Had she not spoken to anyone else about her duties, had she not sought out or learned anything about the seers of other herds? Surely those who remained - Tandavi, Cera - those who had the position before hand might have told her what to expect, what to do? It wasn’t as though she was new to this position.

Was she just lazy? Or was this genuine confusion on her part?

Snorting, the God dipped his antlered skull and shook it slightly as if to try to clear the air and his thoughts.

”I am here because you are here, Maren. It is your duty to bring the concerns, queries, and thoughts of the herd to me, when it is necessary. Sometimes I may appear unbidden, but rarely. And occasionally you might call and receive nothing but a flickering of the flames in response. I do not dwell here constantly. It takes much of my time to move the sun from the sky and to assist my siblings in ushering forth the seasons and to renewing this place every year. But when I can, I do come. When I do not appear, it rarely is because of something that you have done.”

His wings dripped molten fire which caused the flames around him to spark whiter and brighter, though they did not grow hotter. They simply made him appear all the more radiant and shimmery.

”This is your gift as a Seer, that your prayers - and yours alone - might be loud enough to call to me, amplified by this fire. So no - I have nothing for you to do, there is nothing which I need to say. If you have nothing to ask of me - nothing that the herd requires - then I shall go.”

CREDITS

Maren

The Almighty Lord snorted. Maren’s heart skipped, for why would he snort? Yet, she watched the expression of his face grow with something that looked like… disappointment. The realization made her want to gasp for air as she felt herself shrink — and suddenly she started to worry. Had her words not been right? Had she asked too much? Or perhaps she just wasn't right enough. While Maren was aware of her miscomings, she did care about… things. Not alot of ‘things’, but still a few; about etiquette, the balance of the world, she cared about a lot of ’Why?’s' that had to do with life and death. She cared about her boat and the Garden in her mind and the Roses that were often there to reflect into the medium's everlasting, heavenly liquids, but she did not... She did not care about what most others thought of her. She did not care about what most thought of her... — but He. Anyone she could disappoint and not care, but not He.

Would it be true that she had failed Him, well... Perhaps she would need to turn pilgrim once more, return to the City of Light, pray for her misdoings for her soul to be either forgotten or forgiven. But I don’t want to run anymore, the child within her cried. And, surprisingly, as much as she had looked at the child version of herself and her actual grown-up self as two different parts of her being, as two different lives (past and future), she did not want to leave either. And, truthfully, she still didn’t know what exactly was the reason of her failure. Her heart was a firelight embraced and at the same time caged by the shadows it cast and, as much as she hated it, it meant her heart wasn’t made of diamond, or obsidian — it was so easily disturbed. Much easier than she would ever admit. She swallowed a clump of dry, salty air, eyes turning to the ground as she did not want to acknowledge her Lord shake his head the way he did.  

Don't be weak now, let it teach you ;the whispering subtly arose from the waters of her mind. Not brightly, like phoenixes rising from ashes, not like that; more like the tickling of a blossom falling in spring,  or a speck of dust glittering in the shadows. It strayed like music into her ear; through the bars and into the cage of her heart. Although it felt so far away, distant, it was not a feeling she could ignore. Maren's silent golden eyes grew curious and wandered up again to meet the gaze of the God she had sworn to serve to the most of her abilities. For who else would, if not she?

For some reason she had never realized it was him she needed to enlighten on the interesting aspects of their daily life. Although she had thought it was merely the visions he would bring to her, for the herd to be enlightened by those... It seemed rather logical now that he mentioned it. Perhaps she really was an idiot; unable to keep up with the world around her. Does it matter? After all, all she needed to do was... to do.

She had listened soundlessly to the God’s explaining on her tasks and she was glad he had done so, if only for it to be more clear to herself and her own brains. There had been no one who had truly been there in the ranks to guide her after Amani had gone, had simply done what seemed like the proper way to be playing priestess of the herd. Of course she had known that there must have been others before her, but perhaps she’d just been too proud.

“There is nothing, but one thing.” She dipped her head again. “We have been building a Church for the Sun,” she informed him. Her golden eyes peered up from her lowered position, glancing at the fiery, holy entity as she continued to speak her outlandish tunes, in it reflecting the emotions of longing and hope she felt within. “...But it will take long and... I am afraid that at some point, as is our nature, some of us might lose sight of the larger objective, what matters — a place for all of us to share in our time of need, to have somewhere to teach and learn — what will be there at the end. If you could provide a light to guide us, to enlighten us when we have forgotten, I think that would help us to keep going and when we do forget… that it shall be there to remind us that what truly matters is the road to enlightenment and not its destination.”

“That is all,” she added in something that could be an almost-whisper to mark the end of her needs. Her always so silent eyes peered quietly in the embrace of the reflective fires from her God as she awaited his reply.

Image Credit

@Mesec I'm sorry that there isn't much to reply to ><
@Mythical request
Please tag me 

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SUN

The God listened patiently - and not just to words Maren spoke. He listened to the way her soul seemed to crumple in response to his movements, how her eyes dipped low and her countenance faltered somewhat. He listened to her sadness and confusion, but also to the way she appeared to rally before him - as if growing stronger in her doubt of herself - and then finally to listen to her actual voice, as she addressed him.

The God smiled as she mentioned the Church. Indeed he had seen its slow progress. Hadn't it begun what Gaucho originally created a bridge for the Throat? That was seasons ago now - but it was as Maren said. Such projects were often left unfinished, their end and yields too far away to keep everyone motivated.

"I understand." He rumbled gently with a warm, graceful nod of his sleek neck. "You have done well to get them this far Maren. It is not easy to keep a herd moving in the same direction, to keep their eyes on a goal that they do not understand. They will all, very likely, love and admire the church when it is finished, but will they all lend themselves to complete it? No. They won't. Will they all try to take credit, professing how they helped you in its creation? Very likely." He chuckled, shaking his horned skull at the thought. "Such is the way of things, I'm afraid." He continued. "My fire burns here eternally - that should serve as enough of a reminder. Should any cast doubt on the building project or its importance, merely direct their gaze back to this fire. In it, they shall surely see the truth and importance of the work they do."

The God's fiery body began to fade and waver, like hot air over a fire. The landscape behind him began to bleed through as he slowly disappeared.

"But know this Maren - regardless of the speed of your progress, know that I am well pleased with you."

And with that, his elegantly sculpted body disappeared into a flurry of shimmering sparks.

CREDITS