the Rift

[OPEN] Give Myself the Creeps

Roux Posts: 57
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 5 :: Orangemoon HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Edison :: Red Kite :: Rage Semper

"Lost, lost, lost, lost, lo..." Dark ears slammed back against my skull as I sent waves of aggression towards the kite perched in the tree above me. "I know we are LOST. Just let it go." Muttering came from the bird of prey as he ruffled his feathers and turned to face the trunk of the tree rather than peering down to where I was laying in a pile of decomposing leaves. The humidity told me that the seasons had changed once again, now the cold seasons were over with and the time of newborns was over as well, but yet here I was. Still stuck in the Deep Forest with no hopes of finding my way out, even Edison wasn't sure if he could make it through the heavy canopy to scout the way out of this mess.

Ruddy lids flicked shut over silver pools once again as I slowly grew more irritated as I could feel the prickling annoyance over the mental bond with Edison. It was clear that our state of missing was affecting the avian just as horribly as it was affecting my own mental state, with a heavy sigh my weight shifted so I could stand upon the dead foliage. "Let's go, I'm tired of moping." The bird fought against me for a second, wanting to punish me for hollering at him over our bond, but it didn't take long before he had found his perch upon my withers once more, the ever comforting feeling of his talons digging into my bright coat. Of course, I had no idea where it was that I would go, but that didn't matter. Anything was better than laying there waiting for some strange soul to come along and find us.

At least with the extreme heaviness of the forest and the density of the canopy I could almost always see here without Edison's eyes leading me. A shiver passed across my pelt as muscles screeched in pain over the sudden movement, it had been awhile since we grew brave enough to wander from our tree, who would know if we were wandering deeper into the woods and closer to our death or back towards where the sun would greet me with darkness and warmth? Would I find Sacre here as I had been looking for him in the first place when we got lost? Or would I be doomed to wander with just my bondmate and myself for the rest of eternity? Sighing, my dark rimmed ears slicked back against my skull once again while ebony dipped limbs struck out towards where ever fate would bring us this time.

"Talk?"
roux
am I just paranoid?
or am I just stoned
anyone is free to join <3 sorry it's rusty, come back posts ftw
image credits
Now waking to the sun
I calculate what I had done
Like jumping from the bow
Just to prove that I knew how
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
-

At first, Mesec thought it was his father. In the shadows of the forest, the movement of the bay form triggered hope in his heart - a crippling blow that made his movements stumble. Lucius, finding the forest to be too stuffy for his tastes, was soaring over head but doubled back at the sudden surge of emotions in Mesec. He had thought that he would never see d’Artagnan again after he had left at the site of Aviya’s death, thought that he had lost both sister and father that day. Truly it had seemed as though the doctor had no intentions of coming back but maybe he had changed his mind - there was still family here, though their numbers seemed to be dwindling. Mesec knew now that he had another sister, one that looked just like Kou, and Sacre in the Throat. Were there any other siblings? He wanted to get the chance to ask, wanted to be able to work to repair the bond with his father. He did not want to believe that he had lost that chance.

So yes, he was overjoyed at the idea that the bay figure in the forest could be his father but as he drew closer he saw that it was a single bone horn, not dual glass horns, crowning the head and the eyes were pale silver like his own.

Not d’Artagnan then.

Lucius sent encouraging thoughts through their bond, circling upwards instead of trying to find a place to break through the dense foliage. He wasn’t needed just yet so he continued in the same direction that they had been heading before. But instead of moving off as well, Mesec lingered. Something about how the pair (he spied the bird as he moved around a nearby tree to get a better look) were wandering suggested that they were lost. There didn’t seem to be any real purpose to their movements - and the stallion seemed to be moving a little stiffly. Perhaps they were lost? It was easy enough to lose your way in this forest, this stranger certainly wouldn’t be the first one. Deciding that it couldn’t hurt just to ask, Mesec move through the underbrush and paused, off to the left side of the path that the unicorn and his bird were taking. “Hey, are you alright?” Blindness wasn’t what he would assume first upon seeing the silver eyes so the thought does not cross his mind - not yet.

and that's me, that's me, the boy with the broken halo
that's me, that's me ________________ the devil won't let me be

artwork by the fabulous tamme

@Roux
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

It was almost lucky that Edison and I had found ourselves lost in the depths of the Deep Forest, although my vision was slightly less impaired in the darkness of the shadowy trees, the thick undergrowth caused anything that could possibly desire to sneak up and attack almost impossible since my hearing was heightened. The kite's grip tightened slightly on my withers as I weaved back and forth between the trunks clumsily, his talons pinching at the thickened flesh across my shoulders as feelings of unease flashed through our bond. No matter how long we had been together the bird of prey still didn't like it when I refused his assistance in moving, the lack of sunlight created a scene of blacks, whites, and greys before me making it so I could handle myself rather than rely on the wonderful vision of my bond mate. "Someone coming." The ever familiar whisper of the bird crept through my thoughts just as a cracking noise from the underbrush to my left forced dark rimmed harks to flick to the side and ivory crowned skull to pop upwards as if looking for the intruder.

"Hey, are you alright?" The voice, this one from the real world rather than telepathic, reached where we stood just as sightless eyes settled on the form of a dark creature. The midnight black of his coat making his shape stand out even in the shadows of the forest. Edison's feathers ruffled as he tucked himself in close, pulling his skull down close to his winged shoulders, sharp eyes watching the winged newcomer carefully just in case the scene before him would turn dirty and he would have to rush to my rescue. "Fine stranger, just a little lost." Maybe admitting to this dark stranger that I wasn't entirely sure where I was other than the Deep Forest wasn't the best of ideas, but it was too late to take back the words that had already been uttered now.

Pale eyes pulled away from the dark features of the new stallion momentarily, just to settled on the equally as pale eyes of this stranger. I wondered momentarily if he was like me, only able to see in the shadows of this bright world. But for now I would be left just wondering for informing this matte creature of a weakness could simply wind up in being left to bleed out on the soft ground beneath my hooves.

"Talk?"
roux
am I just paranoid?
or am I just stoned
gosh, i am so sorry this took me so long!
@Mesec
image credits
Now waking to the sun
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

-

At the confession from the pale-eyed stallion, a soft smile brightened in Mesec’s silver eyes. Lost - something that happened to the best of them from time to time. A feeling that Mesec well understood, though he was often lost in a more psychological sense instead of the physical. It was certainly understandable in the poorly lit forest where almost everything looked the same, so he thought nothing of it. He had flown and walked across Helovia enough to be familiar with how big of a place it really was, and how easy it might be to lose your way. Mesec wondered if this pair was from Helovia or if they had just happened to wander in a little bit south of the Threshold.

He was surprised it didn’t happen more often.

“It’s definitely easy to lose your way in these woods. Perhaps I can help you? Is there anywhere in particular you were hoping to go?” Or perhaps there was no absolute destination, perhaps it was just that the stranger was lost in the woods and needed to find a way out. He wasn’t all too far from the edge of the trees as it was and would likely have found his way out on his own if left alone but Mesec was in no hurry today. He wouldn’t mind in the least to take the time to backtrack and make sure this stallion made it out safely.

He lingered in silence for a moment, before quickly adding an introduction. No point in staying a shadowy stranger for longer than strictly necessary. “My name is Mesec, by the way.” He shifted his weight a little where he stood, becoming more comfortable while he waited for a response that would determine whether he should continue on his way alone or turn back with company.

@Roux

I wouldn't lie, the smile that lit across the matte stranger of darkness' features as I mentioned that Edison and I were lost, worried me slightly. What plans did this odd, winged creature have in store for the two of us? As weary as we were, I would still be willing to put up a fight in order to free myself from the evil clutches of these dark trees if that were what was called for. Weight shifted uncomfortably from one side to the other, only to return back to the original side before the stranger began to speak once again his gruff voice filling the near silence that surrounded us like a heavy blanket on a summer day. “It’s definitely easy to lose your way in these woods. Perhaps I can help you? Is there anywhere in particular you were hoping to go?” Dark rimmed harks swiveled forwards as I reached mentally out towards the still cautious bird, wondering what he would suggest we do in this situation. "Do I tell him about Sacre? We managed to get lost in this place only because we were looking for him..." Indifference was my answer, if the red kite could have shrugged without being overly obvious I'm sure he would have.

A gust of air escaped through slightly flared nostrils as I focused sightless pools once again on the shadowy frame of the stallion who seemed to want to be of some assistance. "We managed to get tangled up in the forest when I went out looking for my brother. Perhaps you know of him? Sacre of the Dragons Throat?" Sharp talons dug into the toughened flesh of my withers as the words left my midnight stained kissers, but there was no stopping the words from falling once I had started. The need to find my brother and eventually my father was greater than my desire to keep business to myself. The blood stained coat shuddered in an attempt to throw the bird of prey off balance even slightly when the stranger's voice drew my attention back towards him and reality.

“My name is Mesec, by the way.” I locked the name away into the nearly empty filing cabinet of acquaintances I had in my mind. It seemed almost magical, but then again it may be the lack of social interactions messing with my head. Noticing the shift in his posture I allowed myself to relax slightly, even if Edison was still unsure as to how he felt of the dark stranger, Mesec, I had to at least pretend to be comfortable around the creature if he was going to lead me our of the shadows. "Pleasure, Mesec. I am Roux, and this is Edison. We are of the Basin when not wandering like fools amongst the trees." There, now the introductions were over. Politeness had been had, and now we could get onto the business of getting us the hell out of here before I rotted alongside the damp, dead foliage that littered the ground we stood upon.

"Talk?"
roux
am I just paranoid?
or am I just stoned
gosh, i am so sorry this took me so long! <3 i am in love with this thread
@Mesec
image credits
Now waking to the sun
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

-

That easy going smile on Mesec’s face faded somewhat when Sacre was mentioned - but not for the sake of the name, but the descriptor that came with it. Brother. “Sacre’s your brother?” He responded, stupidly clinging to that one little part of what this stranger had said instead of answering the question, instead of focusing on anything else.

Immediately, Lucius abandoned his overhead flight and cut through the foliage to land in a nearby tree, his own silver eyes observing the bay stallion. He had no intention of leaving Mesec alone to deal with the surfacing of a family member on his own. It felt strange, to find a family member instead of lose one.How many siblings did Mesec have that he didn’t know of? He wished he had asked d’Artagnan while he still had the chance, wanted nothing more than another opportunity to have a conversation with his father. The doctor had made a family with Kou, one that Mesec wasn’t truly a part of, and now that they were both gone (in one way or another) it seemed that Mesec wasn’t the only one that was left behind.

His head was swimming with this information - making him miss almost everything else that had been said. The word Basin was  He was making an assumption, of course, and there was definitely doubt rising with the hope. It wasn’t confirmed, not yet, but it soon could be. Roux could be Sacre’s brother by adoption instead of blood or it… well, the doubts that he had weren’t strong but he was too afraid to hope that maybe he still had family in Helovia. For a moment, he considered not telling Roux that they were brothers - but it was only because he wasn’t exactly sure how to break the subject.

Because once they made the connection, the weight of the losses that they shared would come crashing down.

Mesec shook his head to clear his thoughts, though it didn’t really help. “He.. he lives in the Throat with me. I haven’t seen him lately but… he’s my brother too.” The confession came out hesitantly, wondering just what this brother of his thought. “My father is…” With hesitation, Mesec corrected his choice of tense. D’Artagnan was gone, he would never return to Helovia. Mesec would never know when his father died, would never know what became of him. “... was... d’Artagnan.” For the first time in a very long time, Mesec felt self-conscious of the wings resting against his sides - a blazing sign that his mother hadn’t been d'Artagnan's beloved Kou.

Before explaining any further, though, he waited for a reaction from the bay stallion. With the knowledge he thought he had, this tentative bond influencing his sight, Mesec realized it was no wonder he had mistaken Roux for his (their?) father - there were definite similiarities there.

@Roux
not sure if Mesec could make this anyyy more awkward ;)

"Sacre's your brother?" The dark stallion's words forced me out of whatever thoughts had been flickering through my grey matter at the time, sending me plummeting back to reality where the midnight creature stood before me an expression of surprise plastered across his features. Edison stiffened slightly on my withers as I could feel him wondering over why this, Mesec, wanted to make sure my personal information was correct. Not to mention the arrival of the moon eyed bird, likely bonded to the midnight creature before us, caused the socially awkward kite to grow even more uncomfortable. I sent a feeble reassuring wave towards the bird of prey before offering a reply to our company. "I'm his twin." Words fell from ink stained kissers easily, getting straight to the point rather than dancing around my relations to the blood splattered black. Hopefully he was well and the news that caused such a shocked look to cross the matte stranger's features wasn't some that would shatter my life into a million tiny pieces never to be found in the undergrowth of the forest.

Of course the news that was to come was nothing like what I expect to hear. “He.. he lives in the Throat with me. I haven’t seen him lately but… he’s my brother too.” The world spun, slowly at first, until the kite's attention slammed away from the moon-eyed avian and instead focused his detail oriented eyes upon the dark stranger before us, allowing my world to jump into color in the gentle light of the moon. There were slight similarities, between Sacre, Mesec, and myself in build. We shared similar eyes and I wondered for a moment if he was like me. But he shared the ink stained pelt of Sacre and there the likeness ended as wings sprouted unceremoniously from his shoulders. Sightless silvers widened involuntarily with shock as I focused back on the dark stallion's features. "I....I suppose that makes us brothers as well." I wondered curiously over Mesec's parentage for a moment, but before I could open my mouth to speak again my brother was already doing so. “My father is…was... d’Artagnan.” The spinning world came to a screeching halt as the matte stud corrected himself.

d'Artagnan was dead?

My knees wanted to buckle under my weight with the shocking news. But by some stroke of luck I managed to stay up, standing in a daze as the many different scenarios of how my our father could have died and left this world with a large void where he once stood proudly. Bile rose in my throat, threatening to choke me, closing my airway with my own bodily fluids before I swallowed hard. So hard that the muscles surrounding my airway screamed until allowed to relax once again. "H...he's dead?" I threw a wall up, blocking what I could of the mental bond that forced me to share a soul with the red avian perched on my back. As much as I loved the company usually, at this moment I wanted no intrusions into my mind. Sacre was no where to be found, and the fate of my father was hanging unknown in the air for the time being. I was nearly afraid to ask about Kou, or our sisters.

Had everyone left me?

"Talk?"
roux
am I just paranoid?
or am I just stoned
hng <3
@Mesec
image credits
Now waking to the sun
</style>
pixel by nikkayla

-

Mesec realized that his use of the past tense was a terrible idea. He didn’t know that d’Artagnan was dead but he was gone. They would never know when he died, if he was still alive. That had been why he used that stupid word ‘was’ but the reaction that it earned him made him regret it immediately. He was quick to shake his head and try to make things… well, it wasn’t going to get any better but they could be clearer. “No, sorry, I don’t know. He left Helovia…” He closed his eyes and tried to fight the despair growing in him, alarmed at the sensation that there was magic tugging at him and feared that it was the same destructive magic that had transformed him into a beast in the Labyrinth. Lucius quickly sent soothing thoughts into Mesec’s mind - trying to distract him with a combination of sentiments that ranged from ‘get your shit together’ and ‘it’s not your fault’. While it was effective at stopping that pull toward darkness but it didn’t solve all of the problems.

But in explaining why their father would never return, he would reveal still worse news. Roux deserved to know everything but Mesec found himself wishing instead that he had kept their shared family a secret - they could have been friends, simple as that and nothing more. He could have carried the burden that was this tragic news on his own. Or, you know, he could have waited. ‘Nice to meet you! Most of our family is dead or gone!’

Nothing good came from being related to the demigod.

But he finished the sentence after all - bracing himself against his own despair and what - he was sure - would come from Roux. “After our sister Aviya died.” He could only hope that this bay brother of his had a better childhood with their sister than Mesec had.

A shaky step toward Roux was taken but Mesec took no more, knowing he’d be unable to comfort his brother through this news. His brother. Their relationship wasn’t off to a very good start. The next words felt hollow but he meant them - too little after the wave of bad news Mesec had already sent. “I am so sorry, Roux.” There was more, making it all the worse, but for now - learning his lesson - Mesec stayed quiet about the fate of Kou. He wanted to shrug off the cloak of the grim reaper and stop giving this newfound brother of his nothing but tragic news.

@Roux