the Rift

[PRIVATE] until we remember

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Cera
I'm an angel with a shotgun, fighting till the war's won, and I don't care if heaven won't take me back

It is a joyous morning. 

He awakens slowly, limbs happily tired from using his magic, the sun warm against his face and inviting as he opens his eyes. The sun is already climbing the sky, brilliant and hot against his skin as he stretched out his joints and rustles his wings. Ilaria is peering lazily down at him from her branch, fluffy tail floating in the few errant breezes that curl over the sands. Do we have any plans for today? he asks her as he lifts his wings to embrace the hot wind that buffets against him. No, she responds softly where she's sunning herself. Cera's smile is slow but sure as it crawls across his face, a half-formed plan budding in his mind. She huffs fondly at him, so full of love that it nearly hurts. Go, she says, and he obeys.

He lunges out across the sand, if only to feel the way the earth disappears beneath his hooves, the way the wind tugs and plays with his pale tresses. And his wings come up to his sides, embracing the currents, and he leaps into the air without a second of hesitation. He falls into the nothingness with total faith, swings higher as he pushes his body harder and farther, streaking up and up and up as if reaching for the sun itself. Glides high above, where the canyons and dunes stretch out before him, sapphire lapping at the edges and nothing can touch him. He can breathe, up here, nothing but cold wind and errant clouds to dive through to wet his feathers. Where he's nothing but a body, a spirit of the wind.

So he dives, remembering hurricanes and breakneck speeds, he and Fina racing to some unknown destination when life was simpler and Midas was always there to catch him when he fell. Lets the world spiral into a blur of blue and beige, closes his eyes against it, grinning so wide it hurts. Falls face first, tucked tight and streamlined, wings tight. Breaks out of it like an archangel rising from the ashes, a falcon across the sea, skimming sand dunes with his hooves instead of water. His heart races in his chest, pounding for freedom, and he follows the call to the clay lined shores. Kicks at the water as he flies, a pure and evanescent being, burning bright until his tinder is consumed. Laughs so loud and long his chest hurts, the wind ripping it free of his mouth and swallowing it up. 

Forgets every responsibility, every nightmare that lingers on the shores, and tries to remember what it was like to be a child again. 

@Mesec
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

“Crash?” Mesec woke to the voice of Lucius in his mind, waking to find the zephyr perched on his folded wings. But his companion wasn’t looking at him, his head was tilted and those intense silver eyes were watching something in the sky. Following the gaze, Mesec spied Cera diving towards the ground. But even as he turned to watch the golden stallion was pulling out of the dive expertly, kicking at the sand and then soaring to do the same over the water. A smile grew on Mesec’s face, taking no time at all to blossom into laughter as he watched Cera’s antics.

It brought to mind a different setting, under the cover of night this time, when he had danced and chased and played with Ampere through the storm and the sea spray. Lucius did not appreciate the comparison to Ampere, rolling his silver and purple eyes, and looking to change the subject. “You join?” Came that rough voice again that was still both alien and familiar. It seemed all too normal, too natural, for there to just be another consciousness connected to his own. Sometimes it wasn’t a treat - Lucius had first learned to speak by calling his friends some… interesting words. “No, I think Cera’s having fun.” I don’t want to stop it was the unspoken end to that sentence which - when Lucius caught it - earned him a sharp pluck of one of his black feathers. “Ouch! Alright, alright.”

Lucius had been growing tired of Mesec’s self-deprecation and was taking to plucking a feather every time those thoughts started to take over. He'd be a plucked goose before long and he wasn't entirely sure this sort of negative reinforcement was helping. Satisfied, the zephyr stretched his own wings and took off - but intending to move further inland to hunt. The idea of playing did not interest him, he’d rather hunt. But before he circled away he came back to pull at Mesec’s mane - this time with more affection than force, encouraging the warmth and happiness blossoming in the demigod. He’d keep an eye from a distance, curious to see what Mesec was like when he was happy, see if he could leave everything behind for a little while.

He still hesitated though, watching his companion leave before turning to watch Cera some more - the smile faint but still present as he then lowered his head to graze, distracted as he was.

I’m trying to find my direction home, ______________
A question of space, a matter of time, _______
I follow the stars until the first light.

image by jjjj56cp at flickr

@Cera

so poophead here apparently needs some encouragement ;)
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Cera
I'm an angel with a shotgun, fighting till the war's won, and I don't care if heaven won't take me back

The wind tousles his pale locks and he's laughing so hard he can't breathe, stolen from his mouth by playful breezes that whistle past him as he streaks across the sunlit ocean as free and untouched as a sea bird. His pulse pounds so heady in his ears that he can't think, and he's gasping for breath because this is the most alive he's felt in years. Skims back in a sharp bank, finding clay and letting his body touch down as light as a feather, racing down the shore and kicking up sand, hips twisting and bucking in careless play. Lifts back into the air on a sharp spiral, thrusting himself heavenbound and racing the sun. There is nothing to stop him, to chain him. He is boundless, all edges erased, exploding forth into being like a comet. Steadies himself only when he cannot stand the spinning, drifting on the sea breeze above. He's panting, but he's grinning so wide it hurts. After so many seasons of wishing for death, this is his celebration of life. A singular, focused mentality.

In his euphoria he nearly doesn't notice the dark shape on the coast, but it's one that is familiar to him. Catches his breath, eyes bright, and watches as Mesec...stands there. His heart is pulsing like the tempo to a dance he's swept up inside, and he remembers the paralleled haunted look to the moon boy's gaze. It was one he'd seen in his own eyes, for far too long. His mind is made before he even takes time to think about it, sweeps down with an arch of his massive wings and lets himself fall in a sharp downward slope, cantering hard as he lands in a spray of loose sand. Cera smiles wide, wings arching and spreading wide, sunlight filtering through the ivory feathers as he stands before Mesec. 

"Fly with me," he demands, grinning. Buffets his wings towards Mesec playfully, long thin limbs dancing in the sand and tail thrashing happily against his hocks. Dives forward in a herding motion, neck snaking low, hooves thrust forward in a sharp motion that halts his lunge and sprays up sand towards Mesec. Grin sharpens and eyes turn mischievous. Kicks forward to run past Mesec, snaps his teeth towards Mesec's mane in an attempt to jerk him sideways and then kicks himself into the air. 

Mesec was not left unnoticed for long, a fact that he would appreciate if he had given himself time to think about it. Lucius was just turning to come back to admonish him for his lack of movement when Cera came closer, landing and spraying up a wave of sand. A silver-lined wing quickly flew up to block most of the spray, his smile finding no reason to begin to fade now.

“If you insist.” Came his response to the grinning demand but the words were filled with laughter already, laughter that was surprisingly easy to accomplish, as Mesec ducked the buffet of Cera’s wings. The other stallion is dancing in the sand - away and then back, herding him forward and spraying sand and using teeth to encourage Mesec. To encourage him to join and the demigod allowed it. This was what he wanted, wasn’t it? This wasn’t a Forger seeking the help of one of his Crafters for a task that needed to be performed. Not a patrol that needed to be undertaken. This was a game, further kindling of a friendship. How much would it take of this for Mesec to believe that he belonged here instead of being the shadow that lingered after everyone else?

When Cera finally moved past him - hooves pounding as wings beat at the air to take off Mesec was right behind him. A shadow, but a willing one this time, as he followed the golden pegasus into the air - his own wings slicing the air and he rose until his heart felt light. Then he curled his wings in towards him and spun off to the side, tumbling dozens of feet before catching himself. More laughter, the rush of the tumble flooding through his head and silver eyes sought the golden form of his enabler. Angling his wings, he aimed to soar past Cera - swooping down close and then up and away again, encouraging a game of tag.

Cera

Cera's grin seemed to prompt the continuation of Mesec's, and he felt like a foal once more, dancing about in the sand and snapping his teeth playfully to try and entice him into some sort of game. He'd never had consistent friends as a foal, but he'd found some sort of kinship in Mesec. A familiar old agony, or a loneliness. Though, at least Mesec had more than Cera did on that front. Still, there was something that called him to the moon boy, and he had never been one to deny himself on matters of the heart. Cera was as guileless as they came, and lying to himself was as severe a sin as lying to another. So instead he pivoted and laughed, buffeting his wings towards Mesec again, feeling the adrenaline and excitement hot in his blood. And there at last, Mesec's words, as playful as he felt in his heart and affirmative in his decision. 

He streaked forward, and it was a poetic sort of dance, Mesec's shadowy form streamlined behind Cera's pale and golden one. The sun and the moon, tumbling about in the sky like newly hatched chicks. The Prince laughed as he saw Mesec dip and spin in his peripheral vision, the slanting grin of his lips mischievous and taunting. His own wings dipped down, streaking down a few feet before snapping them back open and letting the wind toss him skyward once more. Mesec dove for him, and Cera almost shrieked with laughter, their wings kissing and figures flirting in a game of tag. For a second he faltered, hovered, so overcome with euphoria that he could hardly figure out what move he wanted to make next. But still, these rules were written deep into the concrete of his childhood, and he knew them well enough to fall in a spiral from his vantage point and let his wings take him towards Mesec. 

The golden child turned and gave chase, wings beating harder and knees tucking close to his frail chest, aiming to curve up and bump his shoulder against Mesec's right flank before turning and banking away. The wind whistled in his ears, and he reveled in the sun against his skin, Mesec's warmth brief but inclusive. They had no titles from up here, no worries or mistakes to try and forget. They had only the sky and air which cradled them in her womb, the sun to warm their feathers and give them light, the sand and surf to steady and remind them of things like home and surety. They were brothers here, blood and lineage cast aside and forgotten, reveling in each other's company to wash away the loneliness that seemed to plague the pair of them. Mesec wouldn't know that Cera, for all his life in the domain of the desert, felt just as misplaced sometimes as the moon boy did.

Cera snapped his wings wide, curling them inward, and let the wind fill them and stop his momentum, hoping to send Mesec flying out ahead of him. Grinned and winked at the silver-struck stallion, and fell backwards in a dizzying slew of tan and blue. Spun over his left wing and righted himself once more, letting the wind carry him towards the sea and the shallows that awaited him, a plan already forming inside his head. 

Mesec could barely breathe through the laughter and the wind but there was no time to catch his breath. No time to waste in coasting around. He wasn’t even sure what he was laughing at - if there was something in particular or if he just needed some sort of release for the bubble of happiness that the fresh air, the movement, and the company was causing within him. With each beat of his wings, he felt less like a shadow - more solid than he had in a long time. It was a quick transformation for him, as though it had been waiting for the first moment that it could to emerge.

And why not? Surely he was allowed to have islands of gaiety here and there. The worries and doubts waited for him on solid ground but there was no room for them up here. It was meditative, this dance in the sky, and Mesec happily allowed himself to be lost to it.

Cera’s shoulder bumped into his flank, off-setting Mesec’s balance just a little and causing him to spin - but the other stallion had already banked away and there was no danger of him taking a silver-lined wing to the face in unintentional retaliation. Recovering in little time, the demigod’s silver eyes darted around, looking for the golden form of his friend and then it was his turn to bank and give chase.

But as he was trying to catch up, Cera’s wings suddenly snapped wide and Mesec rushed past him with a loud laugh. Following suit, he did the same, turning as he did so to face the other, his mane tossed about as his rushed flight skidded to a near-stop. Maintaining his altitude with a steady wing beats he watched as Cera fell backward, tumbling and spinning before coasting down toward the ocean. Not sure what he was up to but unwilling to sit around and wait to find out, Mesec folded his wings in and followed Cera toward the water.