the Rift

[OPEN] playing darts in the dark

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
Erebos
When he wasn’t entangled in the threads of chaos, he wondered where they’d all gone - his friends, his companions, his comrades. And while he wasn’t supposed to focus entirely on the past, he couldn’t help but remember their faces: lively and wonderful, hopeful and buoyant, feeding mischief and devilry to one another, bound by heart and spirit and bright, brilliant convictions. They’d been christened and anointed as children of the ice and snow, vigilant and brave, strong and enduring, capable of so many things and destined for so many accolades; until one by one, they trickled away, wandered off, became obliterated souls or massacred dreams. Had they seen something better, more worthwhile, gathered and cloistered across the horizon? Had they been pilfered into grandeur, into dazzling heights and blinding arrays, captured, emboldened, finding their pathways not fit for Helovia, but somewhere else? He liked to imagine them as successful, conquering, demonic soldiers, laughing as they slayed their dragons, or as sneaky, intrepid, daring sleuths, wiling away the hours of subterfuge until they snagged what they wanted. Perhaps Adelric drew his needle among sutures and bandages (or drove it deeper into spines and muscle and sinew), maybe Asch glowed as a foreign Queen (laughed and mocked her subjects; regal and refined). Even those he’d barely met flickered in his thoughts, silly Faeanne who taught him magic was nothing to be scared of, intriguing Auriel who searched for treasure in forest pools, or poor, idle Ryuu, tucked into icy prisons. They’d made him who he was, shaped and carved and sculpted, whittled away at his personality so that he’d become much more than a prince. He’d never had the chance to thank them – and he wished he could beckon them over the midnight oils and the dying rays of Tallsun, channel their images and figures in front of his eyes so they could laugh and cry and giggle like they once had…

But he’d grown too much to believe in silly fantasies anymore, no matter how beautiful or tempting.

Reality had been harsh and cruel, unrelenting and pernicious; and he’d morphed in kind, matching it stride for stride, heart for heart, sin for sin. He couldn’t find them if they didn’t want to be found. He couldn’t bring them back to life if they were beneath the ground.

Did this make him jaded, bitter, cynical? Orsino murmured through their connection, chittered and chattered in his nefarious bits and pieces; Erebos ignored the cruel sentiments and stared at his reflection in a nearby puddle. How much had he changed, altered, transformed in their absence?

Would they recognize him anymore?

The twilight plumes played tricks on the water, like a tangible artifice, regal and temperate, and he gazed amongst the fireflies and lunar rays, narrowing his eyes to glare and sketch new plots, new plans, new schemes. He maneuvered over them, still a master of water, skimming along their surface, until his motions were no longer a crawl, and he chased down remnants of what he used to know, used to cherish, used to honor and uphold, following the moon’s trail upon the liquid mirrors.

I'LL SHOW YOU HOW GOD | FALLS ASLEEP ON THE JOB
Image Credits

@Glacia

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

I had not been privileged to have many friends in my youth. Sure, I had met Arya... But it had been on her death bed (in which she had miraculously recovered from). And Alderic, I had met studying the sentinels. But that had been short lived. There where a few more, black faces mixed into the many, but none really stood out.

In reality, I had been a fairly lonely child. Most of the foals in the basin where older than I anyways, and no one wanted to deal with the youngest. No, my childhood had been full of dreams of my father coming to whisk me away, and days observing plants, and humming to myself. Of daydreams, and adventures. And sometimes I had indeed longed for the companionship of fellow foals, but rarely was that longing answered.

Naturally, my father never came to whisk me away, and my daydreams came to nothing. While I had learned valuable lessons in my adventures, I had also been lonely. But, I suppose it shaped me to be who I am now. Independent, and strong willed. Immune to the woes that seemed to usually plague my female counter parts. I was not weak, and whining. I was strong, carved from blood and ice. The daughter of the frozen king himself. The daughter of success and war, on both sides.

And yet, I found myself with no friends but my self. I had my father, I had my mother. But I was otherwise alone in the world. But I did not cry, no. For I was nearly full grown. I could handle it by myself right?

But could I?

These thoughts led me to places unknown, for now I found myself in a gorgeous glowing paradise. Amidst that was a figure. Dark to the light that surrounded, and he gazed into a puddle. What for, I might ask. Maybe I could introduce myself? Know someone other than my thoughts. So I trudge closer, the daughter of the frosthearts head held high.

But don't I know you? One of the black faces muddled with the others?

"You look awfully lonely, sir."

"talk talk talk talk "

I HAD A HEART THEN
but the queen has been overthrown

full image

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
Erebos
Legs stretched, reached, out to touch and cloak the constellations, limbs pulsed and churned to race the stars, and the meticulous veil of evening provided him with naught but escape and delusion. He could hear Orsino splashing into the puddles alongside him, two nefarious moths hastening without a flame in sight, barreling down ridges and flatlands, burning through their endless charades. They must have seethed and smoldered for a long time, burrowed deep into crescent valleys and lunar abyss’, watching as the splendor, the decadence, of night dared to be exposed into morning’s bright song. The pair only ceased all movement in one great, gallant rush, sliding through pools of water and watching the edges break, shatter into cascading droplets, tickling and staining lanky columns and hardened pillars. The boy let out a vivid sigh, and on the lingering vestiges of summer there was no puff of warm air to indicate his presence, no loosened shard of heat curling away from his mouth. His laughter broke over the fiery lament stirring his heart, across the keen, blunt, notions of Orsino’s untamed, savage temptations, beckoning his stride to a slower pace as dawn peeked over the horizon, and without warning, without notice, another’s voice coiled through their fabrications and delusions.

They both halted abruptly, alert and vigilant, ears pricked, eyes widened, and the kitsune’s growl distorted, cluttered the sound waves marking the stranger’s appearance. Erebos took his time, fought a regal, defined interlude of calm and composure, allowed his features to remain stoic and balance, with only a brow quirking at the strange, tranquil essence clouding over the Flats. He looked lonely? For an instant, he wanted to turn to his companion and chuckle again – he hadn’t been truly alone for some time – but if she meant without others nestled beside him, without his fire-forged friends grinning, smirking, and snickering amidst all their silly wiles, all their capricious, mercurial habits, then she was astute, correct. As his gaze folded over her, riveted and raptured for snippets at a time, too interested, too inquisitive, to ignore her altogether, he noted a kindling of familiarity – though very brief, as if they’d simply passed each other on route and missions. Perhaps she’d been a part of the Basin, one more shadow flickering between darkness and light, perhaps she’d been another creature locked in the war of Gods and their disciples, struggling to make sense of their cause, their plight. But as he stepped closer, a few yards away, indulging the scorching, enticing, tempting blades of his curiosity, he noted the darker, ebony frame, the coating and dusting of spots – and he remembered her from the days on the mountain as he hollered into the void, attempting to bring Psyche’s daughter back into their fold. But he hadn’t caught or ensnared her name, and she seemed to have drifted away into some other memory with no particular existence. He hadn’t even known whom she belonged to, which soldier or scholar or sleuth had cared for her. He didn’t know anything – ignorant all over again.

But perhaps she didn’t know him either, and they were mere remnants, stuck and held together by days amongst ice and snow.

While Orsino glared at her, Erebos tilted his head, donned a ruffian smile. All rogue, imp, and cretin, he dodged, evaded, the depths of her statement, stifling a mocking laugh yearning to bellow through his vocals. “Perhaps.” He didn’t ask her if she was lonely, if the notion had struck her because it was reflected on her face, on her soul, on her longing, and instead, merely postured the normal greetings, not yet daring to delve any further into the abyss. “You were a part of the Basin,” and here he searched her stare again, bestowing names beside faces. “I’m Erebos. Who are you?”

Image Credits

@Glacia

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

He is dark, a creature of the deep. I know him. I know the way he walks, that movement in his body. Like a predator. But without the intention to kill. His movement is familiar, but the impish grin is not. His face did not bore the lines of a no smiling attitude, But instead still held the boyish lines of youth, not yet hardened completely by the hardships of life.

His companion growls and glares at me, and my face moves to look at him. Ears forward a smile pulling on my features. "Do not fret so, I mean your friend no harm."

My gaze returns to the dark boy as I catch his word in the air. "Perhaps."

But not like me.

"You were part of the Basin," I nod, eyes brightning a little. He was also from there. I knew why he reminded me of someone. He was the reapers son. Caught in passing, and once to try and pull the daughter of Psyche into our walls.

The half sister of Sno

I could not recall his name however, but I need not wait long. He provides it for me, Erebos. Erebos, the son of Deimos. Prince, and the son of the only incantation of death I knew to live. He asks for my name as well, and I am happy to provide it.

"It is a pleasure Erebos. I am Glacia."

He was slightly older than I, one of those who was in the gang. Like Rikyn, Illynx's son, or Aithnel. The daughter of the Sun. He was that which I had wanted- no yearned, in my youth. A friend, who had more friends.

"You are correct also. I was in the Aurora Basin, born there. I have since moved to the Worlds Edge to be near my father though. Are you still in the Basin?" I ask. The final question was not meant to be rude, and I hoped he would not take it in such a way.

"talk talk talk talk "

I HAD A HEART THEN
but the queen has been overthrown

full image

Erebos
There were secrets held at bay, kept and tucked and sequestered somewhere within both of them, and he clasped, clutched the urge to ask about all of things she dared not speak of. The otherworldly, entangled sanction of his eyes remained solely on her, a child of the snow who’d strayed – like so many before her. How many times had he asked why Rikyn had left? How many times had he wondered what made Aithniel clamber to sands and dunes? How many times had he pondered over Adelric’s whereabouts? There were more, scores more, because they’d once been so proud, so young, so many banded and united together under a banner of ice, and then, quickly thereafter, it was as if they’d all forgotten. But while she brightened under the recognition of her old home, he darkened, a narrowing of his eyes, a dangerous course of exasperation caught over his muscles and sinew, for he was frustrated with the way the world worked, with the way everyone cast aside allies, comrades, without saying anything, without notifying anyone, just leaving him. Perhaps it was because he didn’t matter to them. Maybe he was one more thorn, one more barb, they didn’t wish to snag themselves upon. Or he was nothing, nothing at all but a speck of dust and flicker of memories; a blue prince shuffling across the horizon with his emblazoned smile and his gallant stride and his honorable intentions driven, driven, driven into vehemence.  Time changed everyone into the disillusioned or the dreamers, and he didn’t know what he was anymore, wandering from place to place in search of power, requital, and contempt.

Orsino snarled at her, but Erebos ignored his haughty display, settling his brows in a fine line, his thoughts into a clearer pattern – he shouldn’t have been hostile because she was just one more in a long list of those who’d abandoned the caverns and the cliffs for another kingdom. Was it easy, he mused, to turn one’s back upon those who’d protected, shielded, and sheltered them? It seemed relatively effortless, facile, and simple to those who’d fled their world – but the boy knew his heart would have collapsed had he ever thought to escape from his family. He loved them. He cherished them. He vowed to avenge them. And what did all of the others do? Flee. Abscond. Disappear. Vanish. Sneak away. Were they cowards? Were they destined for something else, something greater, something more magnificent than the chilling empire? The boy didn’t understand any of it, couldn’t bring himself to think of a time and place where he’d disregard his sanctuary. Erebos’ gaze flicked from the horizon, to the shamble of darkness and shadows, to the bewitching reflection of puddles against an everlasting sky, and clenched his jaw.

He tried not to be angry with her. She’d gone elsewhere to be with her father. At least she had a reason. At least she had a motive, a goal – and that was likely more than the others. The lad’s stare returned to her, light and affable, as if naught else had passed through his mind – no sentiments of loathing, no grinding despair, no sinuous, unwinding vexation. His answer came on swift allegiance, quick adherence, pure, commanding, cold faith in the palace of winter and power. “Of course.” Where else would I be? he wanted to ask, and Orsino hissed, high and keen, through their connection – and instead he inquired into other matters, highlighting curiosity over irritation. “Who is your father?”

Image Credits

@Glacia