the Rift

[OPEN] On a tree in the garden I carved your name

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
Auriel
Anxiety. Dejection. Anguish. These emotions feel foreign to me, unsettling in the places where my blithe used to be. They fill my bones and course through my blood, weighing my heart down to a point where I think it might explode if anymore emotions find their way in. But every step I take without my mother, father, and sister by my side pushes my feelings farther and farther, making my heart heavier and heavier.

I’m angry at them, more angry than I’ve ever been in my entire life. Why didn’t they look for me? To what regard did they hold my life? Did they think of me as disposable, as inferior? Had they found Shida and her dog more exemplary than myself and given up on me? I wanted to scream at them, to tell them I matter, too, but I wasn’t sure if it would make a difference now.

I’m so angry at them for not looking for me, but I’m angrier at myself for running away. I ran when the invasion happened, and I ran when I couldn’t find my family. I was too weak, too scared, and so I ran. At first I thought they would come for me, run to my side when they realized I was gone. They would nuzzle me and apologize for letting me hurt. But they never came. Days went by, weeks, months, I think. I’ve lost track.

Now I’m a wanderer, I guess. I’m not lost - I think in order to be lost you have to be trying to go somewhere. I’m not trying to go anywhere. I travel to keep myself from getting bored. The wandering is tiring, and tedious, but it’s something to do. The traveling has sort of gotten to me lately - I’ve started to forget small memories and things about myself. I’ve made it a habit to recount every aspect of my life everyday in an effort to not forget myself. It’s scary to be out here alone sometimes, but I’m sure it’d be scarier to forget who I am.

I go over my identity usually when I’m wandering. My name is Auriel. [The landscape began to morph slowly, becoming hotter and the ground rougher.] I was born to Oxy and Elsa in the Hidden Falls. [The trees stop.] My twin sister, Shida, and I were born during birdsong. [I am numb to changing surroundings at this point.] I have magic, smoke based, probably inherited from my parents. [I press on, focusing my pale gaze more on my hazy, onyx breath than the sand beneath my hooves.] I have a red feather in my mane, a gift from a raven.

I only pause my wandering to look around when I see a wall. It’s huge. I stop going over my list. I pin my dark, hawk-like wings to my side and shy away from the wall. It makes this place look like a fortress. I'm not lost, but I'm not sure here is where I want to be.

wee auri is here! @Shida or maybe someone who can tell her Shida is here and alright? :3 (but pls be nice auri is smol)
she belongs to the fire
Image Credit
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Shida Posts: 109
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3 (ages in Birdsong) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Princess :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

Shida
Delicate as FUCK
"What the"

So Ma appears the other day, and now Auri is here? Has someone clipped some sort of honing beacon onto my ass? Casually, I look through Princess' eyes to make sure. I mean, my tail is so matted that I actually wouldn't be that surprised. But sure enough, nothing is there.

So how the dick is this even happening? How are they just all...back.

I don't rush down to her the way Ma did to me. I'm still pissed, but I guess not so much at Auri. It isn't her fault. If anything, fireballs (aka Gaucho) should have been more diligent and found her too. Hauled her and me to the Throat. At least then we would be together.

"Auri-" I shout from my position on a particularly large sand dune. She almost ... doesn't look like herself. I mean, we've obviously both grown, but shit son. I'm still fairly chubby and just whatever, but Auri looks a whole lot like Ma, minus the scars and missing eye and whatnot. Girl looks good, especially given that we've been abandoned and whatnot.

"Where in the fuck have you even been?" I ask in my usual obnoxious way. She feels like a stranger, and whatever closeness was once between us feels really far away. Still, I amble down towards her, bright blue eyes trained on her without moving. She's my sister, my twin. Ain't nothing can change that, but even so ... idk. This all just feels weird. Like ... what do we do now?

Princess sits at my heels. His black and scary face actually looks rather sympathetic. It's probably because there's so much what the fuck filling my mind, that it's spilling over to him. I look to him casually, exhaling in his direction before focusing back on my back-from-the-dead twin.

Image Credits

prissy
Auriel
"Auri-"

That's not...it can't be...

"Shida?"

She stood on the horizon, atop a sand dune, giving me a concerned 'what the fuck???? ? ??' look. A smile tugged at the corner of my lips, tears welled up in my eyes (I don't know if they're there because I'm happy or angry or both). I can't speak for a moment, I just look back at her. She's round and healthy looking, but something's off. It's possible that I've lost my sense of Shida-reading, but I think she looks tired.

I begin to relax and stride forward to meet her, hot tears still streaming down my face. I don't really care, though, because she's here and she found me. I stop when she calls out a question. I have plenty to say, but once we're face to face, no words come to my lips. I don't know where to start. My mind is racing with all sorts of things to say, but none of it is coherent enough to utter out. This feels weird. She should be exploding something in my face and I should be flaunting all the cool things I can do in order to divert her anger. But we're not children anymore and a kiss no longer stops the blood flow.

"I - I ran away," I did my best to sound normal, but there were tears running down my cheeks and the more I talked the more I cried and it's really hard to sound normal when you're sobbing, okay? "I thought someone would come find me, but no one ever did. I didn't know what to do, so I just stayed out there. I'm sorry. It was stupid," I state, looking away from her. I didn't want to see the disgust that I knew would cross her features. I suppose I deserve to be ridiculed for my weakness. All the more reason for me to make sure that this would never happen again. I would make it up to her (to myself?), somehow. I wouldn't be weak again.

I move one of my dark wings up to my cheek, wiping off the tears that had stained my pale coat. I look back to Shida with a puff of my smoky breath, eager to get the conversation off of me. "How have you been? Do you live here? How's Princess been? Wait - what happened after the invasion?" I pause my avalanche of questions to look around a bit. "Where are Mom and Dad?" I ask, feeling a bit anxious. I don't know what I would say to them, either. Hell, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to say to Shida, throwing my parents into the mix would make me fall apart completely.
she belongs to the fire
Image Credit

Shida
Delicate as FUCK

"Nah-" I half mumble, looking at her tears awkwardly. Fucking Auri and Ma with their fucking wings. Like, what am I even supposed to do in this situation? Fucking lick them off her face? "Oh here sis, lemme just rub my shoulder on your nose. This makes you feel better, right? And so I just awkwardly watched her cry, because what the fuck else could I do? "-I was out there too. I'm only here because the fire-lord of this desesrt shit-hole found me. He said Ma told him to watch us. I assumed you would be here too, or that he would find you. But-" I nosed towards the ocean that surrounded the Throat on all sides, "- this little island paradise is a touch more inconvenient for those of us without wings. So I've just ... been here." I shrugged, realizing for hte first time that maybe I should have been out looking for Auri. I know I'm not a kid anymore, but shit, weren't their adulty-er adults out there, who were still supposed to have our backs?

Princess barked towards Auri as she mentioned him. His black tail wagged, and his stupidly ominous face broke out into something that looked like a smile, as he panted. "Dude, don't you know? Da was the fucking reason there was an invasion. He let them in." My shoulders shrugged, because I still don't know what to make of that. Had Da done something wrong, or did the Falls deserve it?

"Ma's still around. She lives in the Edge. She came to visit the other day ... I know she's looking for you too.." Again I shrug, because again, wtf are either of us supposed to do with that info? Yeah nbd, Ma just appeared and so I guess life goes on even though we basically missed our whole childhood. But she said she was sorry so I guess that makes up for it.

Image Credits

prissy
Auriel
I sniffled a bit as Shida spoke, but for the most part, my crying fit was over and under control. I ignore the pang of jealousy I felt when she said the fire-lord found her and not me, and instead focus on the fact that Mom was looking out for us. Well, trying to, despite it being fairly indirect.

My gaze hardened when she nosed toward the island, it's looming walls ominous against the aquamarine waters. "That's kind of a dick move," I mumble, eyeing the wall and water that separated it from the mainland. "They couldn't think of a better way to keep you guys safe without inconveniencing those without wings? Seriously?" I flick my pale tail and huff out a cloud of onyx smoke. No one gets to inconvenience my sister except for me (but I've already stretched that right a bit too far for now).

My anger subsided hearing Princess bark. I smiled at him, blowing a cloud of smoke in his direction. I was glad Shida had someone more reliable than myself to stand by her side. I continue to watch Princess as Shida spoke of Dad. So he sold us out, huh? I sigh, a frown etching its way onto my pink lips. I don't cry this time. Maybe later, but for now my other emotions still outweigh my desire to collapse and cry for a few hours.

My light amber eyes flick up to Shida when she speaks of mom. Relief floods my body, but it's soon replaced by more anxiety. Mom's looking for me. I look back to Princess, unsure of where else to look. "I guess I should go see her," I whispered, deciding that finding Dad and kicking his ass (woah, two bad words. I guess this is adulthood) will have to wait till later. But so will finding Mom.

"Do you like it here?" I ask, my brow furrowed. If Mom had come here and Shida hadn't left then there must be something keeping her here. Or, on the contrary, something keeping her away, tucked amongst the sand dunes?
she belongs to the fire
Image Credit

Shida
Delicate as FUCK

That's kind of a dick move.

I snort; an amused exhale of agreement. "I know right? There are these key things, and when you go near the water over there, a magical bridge appears and you just float to the other side. But with Gaucho hulk-smashing anyone who even looks sideways at us over here, I don't really see the point."

As smoke billowed towards Princess, he lunged forward, snapping at the puff of cloud happily, before wagging his tail obnoxiously. He wasn't really a puppy anymore, but shit, sometimes he sure acted like one.

"She told me she was sorry for being a shit mom, and then said that I shouldn't leave her again. I don't know Auri...like, how the fuck do you even forgive something like that? I'm happy to just move on and not talk about this shit anymore, but forgive her? Ma fucked up and we paid the price. I don't know why she deserves forgiveness. But yeah I mean ... if you wanna see her ... just know you're probably in for a sob story."

I casually looked around the Throat as Auri asked me if I liked it here. I mean, it wasn't all bad? Sure, blue-tits yelled basically all the time, and both of the leaders exploded into fire on a fairly regular basis, but at least shit wasn't being invaded. "I mean, the sand does get in your cracks, if you know what I mean. But it's warm, and there aren't any fucking invasions, so there's that. I'm a warrior here ... so..." Was that awkward to say? I mean .. I guess it's sort of the reason I'm still here, because I have a job and what not. Oh and- ""-there's lots of hotties too. That's definitely a plus."

Image Credits

prissy
Auriel
A lopsided grin spread to my lips as Shida rambled on about the bridge and her leader hulk-smashing people. I laughed for the first time in years (I think it's been years, at least). I laughed even more when Princess began to snap at my smoke. Laughing made me feel all fuzzy inside. Maybe I could fix what's left of our dysfunctional family after all.

My smile faded as Shida talked about Mom. I shook my head, gaze falling to the ground. I knew she was right about Mom majorly fucking up, but I wasn't sure I'd go as far as to not forgive her. "Shida, she's - she's all we got left [all we have left a life un-lived and a simpler time]," I spoke softly, delicately. "I don't know if I want to let her go that easily," my voice trailed off, thick with fear and uncertainty.

I studied Shida as she looked around, contemplating my question for a moment. I laughed and nodded when she remarked about the sand getting in her cracks. I could see that being tremendously annoying. I raised a brow at her mention of being a warrior. Damn. My little explosion is all grown up. Does that make her a nuke now or something?

I smirked when she mentioned hotties, my cheeks growing warm. I hadn't really given that part of a adulthood much consideration. Furthermore, I hadn't really considered Shida growing up and exploring that part of adulthood, either. But now that she mentioned it...

"Do you like anyone? Like - like like?" I teased, grinning and sliding around to Shida's side so I could nudge her shoulder with my wing. I was playful about it, but shit, I cared a lot about whether she was falling for anyone. I wasn't about to let her go through that part of growing up without me.
she belongs to the fire
Image Credit