the Rift

Loss Of Inhibition

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
I was no proud soldier or right-hand companion to any power of any kind. I was no aimless deserter looking for refuge from those weakened souls of the pious. I was no untamed archangel damned from the lights of heaven to walk the earth in name of vengeance. What I was or am will never possess a name, but instead lie heavily on my mind like a submerged emotion, whether it is fear, hate, love, or some other form of altering intent. I came to the offering grounds in search of who I might find within myself. I would not make challenge to male or prove sumptuous to some headstrong female; my life not only lay at the hands of this submission, but it also entailed just who I might become. Any element of acceptance would be welcome but my heart pound in my chest for a different reason. My life would change drastically from this moment on and I wouldn’t possibly consider settling for anything less than deserved.

His eyes were strong with determination if any had such a chance to glance them. However, the guarded beast would allow no such thing. His muscles bunched with the effort of a male far more aged than he due to the thick mass of his size. He commanded the grounds as if he were a member of high rank, but this power only endured his own conscience. There lie no question in the way that he moved and the way that he thought that he knew of his vulnerability. Home is a place that every being on earth seeks to find and the beast was no different. However, he was aware of his situation and knew all of the possible faces he might come across. This honesty possessed him to stand tall and wear nothing but armor to shield his heart. But that did not alleviate him of those looking to test his drive. A side of him that renders him weakness lies in wait, cooing softly against his matted ear. After all, darkness infects all of us, no matter the cost we pay to try and hide it.

The trees towered above him, swaying against the slight breeze and casting eerie shadows along his broad back. Each strangled finger of darkness threatened to reveal the misshapen proof of his ungainly appearance. His feathered appendages were none like those who shared his features. These marks of his misfortune would never touch the clouds; never lift such an animal from the ground because of their delicate state. While he regretted such an attribute, he never let them shame him. The course feathers covered his back like a cloak, each black fringe gathering and shifting along his spine and down to his rear as mere decoration. This adversity did not hinder his stunning appeal however; it further added to the distinct presence of a male his size. From head to toe he entailed intense power. The murky shade of his coat was certainly nothing to be admired for its mere lack of adornment, but the manner in which he wore it made the mahogany coat appear admirable.

Down and around the bend, the male surfaced in a small clearing. Around him the trees spread out like veiled figurines dancing together before a spiritual convention. The light that poured through their limbs danced along the tree line welcoming the beast to their quarters. Beyond the clearing lay the echoes of forest creatures calling to one another from the treetops. It was quite peaceful here, almost as if he had landed himself in a dreamland; but he knew better than this and contained himself against the happy chatter of the world around him. He was but a pawn in the complex game of life and he knew it would not be long before the songs of the forest died down with approach. He knew not of who might accompany him but rather that it was inevitable that they did.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The chill of Frostfall attempted to enter the very bones of the smallish raven mare that wandered towards the Threshold. She was lucky, for the magic that darkened her soul enabled her to create flames from within a powerful draconic fire-belly. Even now, in her equine bodice, she found warmth with relative ease, what with the magical, soul-binding bond she held with the majestic golden queen, Akaith. The World's Edge was relatively north in the world of Helovia, and though it held thousands of trees, they stood tall and strong - but naked of their leaves, and there was great patches where the lands still healed from the tantrums of the Sun God. The Sun God, who was apparently absent now, in the depths of winter.

As harsh and drought-ridden as TallSun was, it seems FrostFall will be as deep, and dark. The thoughts were shared in that magical bond that combined the souls of the equine and dragon, and the mare knew she was lucky to be able to find warmth in her land, that really should be feeling the same freezing conditions as the rest of the world. But a dragon's flame, when directed with care, could melt away the snows, provide fresh water, and find what was left of the autumn growth of grasses. The mare was not in the same condition she would be in the midst of Spring, but she was fairing better than she would have been had the walk of an Outcast still be calling her. Having a permanent land to all her own was something she had missed without even realising it, the World's Edge was the Goddess of the Moon's patron land, a land as close to her birthland as she had ever found.

And she had the Qian to keep her company, to help her build the land into a stronghold of peace and equality. A soft snort erupted through her nostrils, as snow swirled around her form. The pale, powdery substance stirred up as she walked. No cloak of shimmering, illusionary magic slung around her shoulders, today she walked, slowly healing, mending from the battle she herself had waged. Scars of deep lacerations were scabbing up along her hide, but she was otherwise clean, the bruises upon her ribs were nothing more than aches if she stood still for too long. Of course, the emotional wear and tear upon her soul had barely begun to heal.. The guilt she carried troubled her still, but she was always good at ignoring such things as emotions. She walked the Threshold now, with purpose, determination - but showing nothing more than passive indifference.

The mare knew of hiding one's inner most demons; it was what her family did, how they survived. Her very foundations were built upon hiding herself, and instead learning as much about others as possible - knowledge was her drug, her power, it was knowledge about the world that Mirage sought as she wandered the Threshold this day. Elegant strides brought her to a clearing, the golden queen that fluttered in the skies above her darted out to fly a large circle amidst the naked, barren canopy. The little charcoal mare paused in her step, alert, listening, smelling, dissecting the air for what may lay ahead. It took a moment for her to recognise the outline of a stallion against the far side of the relatively small clearing, and another moment after that to decide that he wasn't about to charge blindly at her in a raging attack -or was he? With Akaith above her, the mare walked onwards, even allowing a throaty wuffle to escape her, announcing her presence had he not grasped it sooner. She may have the ability to turn near-invisible, but even when she chose not to use it, her motions were often subtle enough to go unnoticed.

"What brings such a formidable steed to Helovia this wintry day?" Her tones were light, curious and encouraged by the playful, devious glint that shimmered behind her golden eyes. The mare did not approach any further than several lengths away - close enough to make it obvious that she was addressing him, but far enough away that she could flee swiftly if the need arose. Not all were as welcoming as she was of the great array of species that called Helovia home.

The snow began to fall heavily around me, each flake glittering as it meandered to the ground. It was as if the world around me existed solely with me, closing in around me into a deafening silence. The birdsong had died away into faint casual calls and eventually faded into the background to disappear entirely. Her approach was nearly indecipherable, almost like a shadow moving through the trees, her golden eyes unmistakable against such a dark canvas. Her frosted breath curled around her face like magic and I could sense her prowess even before her arrival. I did not move and I did not face her directly in fear that she might mistake my intentions, but this did not mean that my walls had crumbled; they were merely frozen along with the harden wintry ground.

Her voice was soft, unlike her tattered exterior. This brought me to meet her eye to eye and I could not help but notice the lacerated hide that she wore upon such a small back. Around her, the snow continued endlessly, landing on her face and melting away with her breath. No doubt I appeared the same, a mere nameless entity hidden away between the infinite calm and quit snowfall. In this moment, neither animal possessed a name, power, or any real importance. It was this moment that I longed to live in before I sacrificed the beauty of the land for words of my own. They were a long time coming but when they finally sprang from my throat they were hardened and rough from disuse. “If I might engage in such folly, I would intend to tell you what I’m sure you’ve heard many times before-” My eyes rest on hers now, biting back the internal freeze that threatened to clasp voice from purpose. I shifted my weight from front to rear and lowered my head to allow her equality as I continued, “I seek acceptance of sorts into Helovia, being that the winter approaches and I find security in what some still refer to as home.”

Whether she would find this answer admissible, I did not know but I could find no better explanation than the truth. As the world fell quiet again, I felt as if I were whole, each moment ticking by like the hands on a clock even if no such invention existed here in Helovia. The birds had gone away to distant parts of the forest and now the mare and I suffered in utter silence, breath for breath falling from reality into the surreal magic of the lands. She, a tainted shade with barren golden eyes and I a simple minion to her quest.

With each breath that fogged in the air before them, the mare greedily drank the appearance of the steed, noting with critical accuracy the way in which each feather bent across his wings, the way each hair lifted and shifted in the wind. Most curiously, in her opinion, were his eyes, not for their colour, for colour was merely a cover, a distraction to what laid within - it was the deep and constant pang of grit and determination within his gaze that caught her attention. He did not seem to shy away from her, nor did he chase her away - instead he captivated her, caught her completely - his bait were his eyes and his hook the resolve in which he carried himself. He was a tall steed, formidable being the choice word she had used in scripting him earlier, but it was not the thick layers of muscle that coated his skeleton nor the obviously lacklustre condition of his feathered appendages that Mirage allowed herself to judge him by; it was the manner in which he presented himself.

Svelte flutes pressed forward atop her finely chiselled tiara, clinging to his voice like a child would grasp upon snowflakes - one moment they were dancing before you, the next, merely a memory. It was by the very roughness of his tone, and easy way in which he relinquished that which laid within him that further drew the mare in. A step, singular in number but large and speaking far more than a thousand words ever could, was taken towards him. She was curious, but not only that, she yearned to know what life this brute had lived. A chilled breeze sliced through the air, and the queenly little shadow was reminded of the injuries that laced across her hide, the bruises that ached and the cuts that needed a new warm poultice slung over them. But such things could wait.

"Folly indeed, stallion, to assume anything of one whom you saw for the first time only seconds ago." Quietly her exotic, accented tones pressed into the space that lingered still between them, though they lacked the obvious drawl of an insult, or accusation. They merely dissected the words which he had originally presented her with, and gave a hint as to just how she might be interpreting them. Almost quizzically, her ears twitched at their station atop her poll, before swiftly refocussing upon the titanic brute before her. It was not the first tall, mahogany stallion she had come across; not the first time she stared into something which could very easily crush her.

"And when the cold season passes and you have lived happily in this home, what is it you would do then?" A brow raised, a subtle, soft emphasis on the interest she was showing towards this pegasus. The WeyrLeader was draw him, to the sense of fortitude he permeated, the sheer will to continue on surviving, no matter what life threw at him. Strangely, the mare wanted to see what his journey within Helovia would be like, she wanted to learn as much as she could about him.. If only he would show the appropriate attributes; perhaps he could call the World's Edge his home in the near future.

Around us the world lie in wait, no movement, no slight of breath, just the eerie silence of muted curiosity. It was as if nature was our audience and this moment our stage. She was mesmerized, this mare, unaccustomed to the self-awareness I entailed and for that I did not stutter in my response. “Does home not entail family values? My intent is to serve valiantly to those values should the need arise. If no such event should take place then I will be nothing more than a mere ghost to this land, appearing wherever my heart desires.” I could not help but notice the stone-cold finality in my voice, one that could possibly push this newcomer away. But in some small part of my mind, I was inquisitive. I almost found myself wanting the small mare to stay, at least a while. She was so unexpected that I found myself even baffled as she neared me. I did not move except for the curling wisps of frost that haunted the air between us like small fairies gallivanting in the sun before dying away. Everything about this strange female encouraged my famished hunger for companionship. Her will was free and boundless, perhaps even childlike but there was a distinct quality about her that challenged such guileless behavior; a quality that I could not yet name but in time I was certain I could.

I find you here, a native to the land if I were to assume correctly… yet, what is your purpose in the Threshold? Surely there is a place that you call home.” My eyes had grown soft with wonderment, and most of all affection. This tiny raven grace had intrigued me. However, I would not succumb to the long-term affects of isolation. I desired her company but found in it a small defeat in myself. So long I had depended on the quiet world I had created inside my mind and now all of those thoughts were shattered. The snow had almost ceased completely and the pale Threshold beckoned my gaze, ripping it away from those golden spheres that had captured my utter attention. Despite my sullen appearance, I was alive inside, burning with hope for the future. At some point I wanted to adorn myself with accomplishment and maybe then I would find this small mare again, her acquaintance the heart of my victory.

Ooc; I didn't mean to make him sound like such a creeper 0.o

Satisfaction leaks out of the golden eyes of the mare as she peers upon the reaction this stallion offers her. He rises to the occasion, he speaks of things she is most pleased to hear, though all she shows of this pleasure is a slighty curved brow, easily mistaken for curiosity at his response. The rough, ultamaidum sense his words invoked did not scare her away, but only drew her nearer; another step encroached upon the space that lingered still between them. He did not back away from her approach, she noticed keenly, happily. The values he shows, if they are indeed honestly spoken, make her long to open the lands of the Edge to him; but this mare had recently tasted the bite of battle, her ability to trust had shrunk away, it needed more coaxing in order to grow once more. It was indeed growing, with th epromise of gaining a friend, one who could help shape her home into something grand, who could help protect her kin with the might of his muscle and resolve of his temper.

"Native to these lands is something I am not." She kindly corrected, her voice merely factual instead of accusing or rude. It was a strange sort of pleasure she found in talking with this steed, for he spoke to her as an equal even without knowing of her identity; so she returned the favour. "Indeed, a land within this vast realm beckons to me as my home. It is called the World's Edge, girt by sea and decorated with a forest whose timbers blend in with the mist." A drop of pride may have coloured her voice as she spoke of the realm her heart had captivated since she had walked upon it, almost an entire year ago. Mirage was pleased that she was able to rightfully call the land her own now, she had earned it, with the aid of her brethren by her side.

"My family is large, dark knight of winter, and not all are of them are bound by blood; but something deeper, something within." It was a rare display of both her weakness and her strength; a weakness being that to get to Mirage, one merely had to get to her family - a strength in that, should Mirage's family be threatened, one would not be able to stop the mighty power that would be unleashed from the fury and passion that resides deep within the mare. The mare wondered further at this stallion, for it was all she could do at this stage; wonder in silent curiosity and intrigue. "My purpose here is varied; I seek many a thing, though whether I am successful or not in finding what it is I seek sometimes only becomes apparent after time has passed."

Back to her cryptic ways, the mare then allowed a softer expression to colour her facade. A golden winged lizard dropped down from the heavens above, giving a quiet trill in greeting, the dragon's gaze quite obviously looking over the stallion's appearance from her perch atop her bonded's withers. Mirage smiled further now, more genuine and meaningful than any hints of a smirk she may have given before. "My name is Mirage the DragonHeart, and I suppose the first thing I might seek is your identity."

Indeed time flies in the strangest of ways and this moment was no different. She drew nearer once more and that aching longing for her to come even closer overwhelmed him for a moment. He stretch his nose towards her, her sweet scent encompassing him while she spoke. The titan couldn’t help but glance at the marred coat she wore, each wound shaping lost references to where she had been and how they had came to be. She was obviously either very devoted to some unnamed cause or reckless with vengeance. Thor leaned towards the latter simply because her attitude struck him more as valiant than as malignant. As she continued to speak about her home in a place called the World’s Edge, he noticed a tiny chord that had been struck in her throat and seemed to be humming rife with tunes of admiration or even love. The song played on and on while she spoke of her family and the values thereof and he couldn’t help but smirk at the strong connection she felt for them. Should he ever know of this family and become part of it… would she speak the same of him?

I see that you are highly concerned with those who surround you, that is something I admire greatly and no matter your purpose in these grounds, I am surely blessed with your company. I’ve no real family to speak of due to the isolation I have suffered but each description read to me ears makes that fantasy appear as reality.” He’d longed for someone to need him and understand him as part of the whole and not just one creature. It was in his species to band together and it brought him great pain to deny himself such pleasures.

The little mare seemed to glow now, a deep raven shadow eclipsing her beautiful framework before the golden reptile came into focus to alight gently upon her small back. It shocked him slightly to see her companion but amused him just the same. He’d never seen such a thing so close and part of him longed to run his nose along the molten scales. “Such a treasure! I trust she keeps you well.” The small dragon seemed so appropriate against the darkness of the mare’s shaded threads and brought out the tendrils of gold that were flecked throughout such intriguing eyes. The pair was a sight to behold and he felt almost foreign to their nature because he had never known such a thing, never even witnessed it.

Mirage, such a fitting name, and your companion?” He knew that to acknowledge one and not the other would be a fatal mistake and truthfully he had no problem with that. His curiosity had been piqued and he wanted nothing more than to know every small detail that involved Mirage and her small friend. “I am Thor, I've no special façade to grace such a massive brute as in your own situation.” She was so different than anything he had ever seen and that only made him desire to keep her here as long as was permissible.

Ooc; I'm sorry if this was muddled and just plain crappy...

Observation was key to the mare's nature; she watched the way in which this stallion absorbed all that she offered him, saw the way her words registered withn him by the subtle changes that dances across his handsome, masculine facade. His reactions seemed to give her more fuel; she had arrived to this scene battered and nearly broken, but the path the conversation had wound itself down had rejuvinated her, reminded her again of her purpose in this world. The little shadow recognised the longing behind the eyes of Thor, the joy at the prospect of belonging to such a family that she had spoken of. She could see how he yearned for more information - and she respected this, more than anything else, about him. Intelligence was not found in assuming one knew everything, it was found in one striving to know more, to always learn and expand one's knowledge, to question that knowledge again and again in order to prove its truth. He spoke with the tones of a learned steed, though he was comparatively young against the ripe years Mirage had wandered the earth, the devious little mare also knew that it mattered not how long he had existed, but rather, what he had done with his existence.

"Indeed," a playful glitter shone behind her eyes as he addressed her beloved Akaith, who preened herself appropriately for the occasion. "Without her, I would not be whole." An affectionate smile softened the edges of her lips, as a swift glance was given to the little bundle of golden scales that stood upon her back. Akaith had been with her almost a decade of her life, the years before then were spent with her family, in her birthland of eternal midnight. There had been more than a handful of occasions, where without the bond that bound them together, Mirage would not have endured the life she had lived had it not been for the brave light the little dragon shone within her soul. "Akaith is her name," Mirage began to say, before the little dragon crawled her way up the mare's nape to peer at the stallion herself from above the sculptured ears that sat alert on Mirage's poll. The little queen chirruped a greeting to the stallion herself, before givin a small huff, an approving nod, and then swiftly launched herself to the air once more, to get lost amidst the canopy. The sea air of the World's Edge would do well to invigorate his potential.

The words were spoken by the dragon, in the silent, exclusive way that the bond permitted them to be spoken. Mirage often found her dragon's cryptic ways to be as irritating as she must sometimes be to strangers, but the little shadow mare appreciated her bonded's opinion nonetheless. "Thor," her exotic melody began again, as her eyes finally pulled away from where her dragon had disappeared amongst the branches above. "I feel that the World's Edge would benefit from your presence as much as you might be able to benefit from those who reside there." Carefully she chose her words, trying to make it clear that she longed for him to follow her home, to aid her in building the Edge towards its full potential. Not only that, but she was intrigued by him, she wanted to keep him near to herself if only to see just what potential he had to give. With such a mighty name as Thor, surely there was great strength to be unlocked? The mare silently devoted herself towards aiding him, directing him, helping him find himself. "Should you wish to continue on through the Threshold of Helovia, you would be welcome to find yourself a home amongst the Edge." It was given, at last, the offer of a home, the silent promise of an enduring friendship. "There are other herdlands within; they are allies to my own home and just in their ruling.. I fear I am not as learned about them as I could be. The life of an Outcast is one I walked for many seasons until recently." She added, not wanting to disillusion the steed into thinking there was only one option beyond the Threshold. Hope, and nothing else, now shone behind the mare's golden pools, hope that rejection would not come from his lips.

[ ooc: don't be silly, I'm loving Thor <3 If you would like him to join just let me know what rank you would like and I'll post it on the Updates board for Admin to change :-) ]

I bit back the sullen smile that kissed my lips, smoothing away the formation of happiness as it rolled up from my stomach to my mouth. I watched as the girl began to settle back into her skin, every moment bringing her sheer bliss as I stood in her presence. It was something great to have witnessed her, this little night raven. Her honeyed eyes could steal a million souls at will and here I was entertaining her time. Akaith had momentarily retired from her perch on the mare’s back to adopt another position atop her skull. She chirped so happily, perfectly at home nestled against the twin lobes on the raven’s head and I could not help the small chuckle that erupted from my throat. It had been building and bubbling in my gut for some time now and it had finally surfaced in this moment of complete innocence when the world had stopped around us and we had both forgotten anything but each other. I knew that once we returned to the daily lives that we had been born into, ones chosen by the Gods for our own sake, we would be changed. We would have known this moment and committed it to memory just as the many others that had come together to shape ourselves. In any event, I would always remember Mirage and her small dragon, but I was hopeful that I would never be asked to forget.

Akaith, a beautiful name for a beautiful creature. May you share only the best of moments together." I returned my gaze to the tiny shade and welcomed her new response, this one bringing light into the darkness I had come to know all too well. The World’s Edge, a fitful name for a place of such sublimity. I had known my answer unconsciously for some time and I only waited to reveal such until I knew I was perfectly ready. The clock seemed to tick down for hours before I could once again catch breath against the swollen anxiety that had built in my chest. I had wanted nothing more than to follow this mare home, however rueful it sounded upon unknowing ears. But my heart stopped as she waited, her patience brimming within her eyes as hope formed there, almost bringing me to my knees. So different was this from any other honor, that I was almost speechless before her submission. However, I knew I could not keep her waiting forever, the look upon her face almost willing me to confirm her invitation. Silly girl, as if I could resist. “I would love nothing more than to call the World’s Edge my home. I should only follow if you should guide the way.

Ooc; Hehe, he's such a sap sometimes. But I would love for him to become an apprentice soldier or something so I could train under someone for a while. :)

[ I'm absent at the moment (thanks to exams), but I've posted to have his rank updated etc, feel free to post at the Edge and get to know the herd. I'll post with you again as soon as I can :-) ]