the Rift

[OPEN] Snails & The Lonely

Difyr Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Difyr

[Image: difyr_by_tierren-d970xnb.png]

Only those who are truly lonely speak with snails. It is a terribly odd thing to do.  

The snails? They find it to be a terrible thing in general. After all, the snails are too slow to escape the words that no one else cares to hear. 

Difyr’s eyes peered sideways at the snail beside her before quickly glancing away once more. Snails were unnerving creatures and Difyr was all too aware that this one was up to something. “Why do they all talk to you?” Suspicion darkened the mare’s tone. She had watched them all come from her hide away in the bamboo stalk. The cricket; the ant; the beetle; all of the insects had spoken with the snail.

If the snail could speak her tongue he would have answered her. He would have said that it was the same reason that all of the others before her had came: Loneliness. Unable to answer her the snail began to crawl away from her. He had his days interrupted enough by those he could answer, he hadn’t the time nor the patience to devote to one he could be of no service to. Though their size the one questioning was not of insect kind.

“I can keep up easily you know.” Difyr lowered her face to be level with one of the eyes of the snail. It sent a shiver down her spine. She just knew the snail was up to something. “I am asking you this once again,” Her frame bounced as she came round to stand in the snail’s path her movement shook the dew on nearby blades of grass, “Why do all of the other insects seek you out?” 

The snail sluggishly entered his shell. He could already tell that she would be persistent. If only he could call in the spider he had given advice to take care of this nuisance. An invisible smirk came to him as he remembered the unbearable company of a fly she had rid him of. 

“Can you hear me?” Difyr pranced around his shell while nudging it with her nose. Each time that she nudged him she would jump backwards while huffing air from her nostrils. One can never be too careful with a suspect. “I bet you can.” Feeling brave she pawed the shell of the snail. Once. Twice. Three times her hoof knocked against his shell. Once. Twice. Three times the snail tried to hold his patience. On the third attempt he failed. 

Slowly he came out. 
With effort Difyr stood her ground in front of him. 
Slowly he leaned forward. 

He stretched further and further; he stretched until it dawned on the pest what he was doing. Once she realized the snail's intentions a shriek broke through the quiet midmorning air. 

“You were going to crawl on me!” Wide eyed Difyr shied away from the snail. Reaching into her bag she pulled out the brush she had used earlier to tint her body green and ran it across the snail’s shell. “I won’t lose track of you!” Difyr nodded in satisfaction at the green smudge left on his shell.

She would find out what the snail was plotting. Placing her brush back into her bag Difyr turned and ran a few strides before jumping into the air. Her bottom lip jutted out as she focused on not slipping on the damp ground whenever she threw her weight into a jump. 
The instant her hooves lifted from the ground a pair of wings appeared on her back and she flitted to a nearby leaf. The snail watched her retreat and said a prayer to the gods for whatever poor soul that ended up tasked with caring for Difyr’s lonely heart. 

After all, only the lonely speak with snails.  

Grimalkin Posts: 50
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Whit
The stallion thought a curious thought that day; Am I going mad? He chewed on it for a while, mulling over its flavour and pitch, testing its vibrancy against all others that might appear within his countenance, and came to the conclusion; No, with a definitive addition; It's just the world around me that is mad.

Grimalkin wasn't one to ask things lightly. He considered them heavily, deeply, he reflected and sometimes (rarely) he changed his mind even after he had come to a conclusion. Cunning could be used to describe him, though he held no proof of his cunning - except perhaps the sheer fact he was alive in a world that was always trying to kill you. Helovia - why did I come here again? That was a question he asked often, though less so recently, as he became more accustomed to his solitude and wandering. He was attached to the Basin, it was true, and he longed to return and prove himself there - but he had been filled with a wanderlust, a traveller's itchy feet that required one to keep moving to sate the itch, a desire to see and learn about the world beyond the ice shelf - and so he had wandered, he had shirked his responsibilities. Maybe he would return one day.

Maybe he would just keep wandering.

Noises, voices, caused his ears to prick and his great antlered crown to turn and look at his surrounds. A deep breath was inhaled as he tested the air around him, but soon enough he let that go with a great gust of air and resumed his eating. The grasses were turning with the leaves in this season - Grimalkin had a hefty bulk to maintain, it would not do to skip a meal.

But he heard that niggling voice again, that frustratingly far away sounding cry. Movement caught his eye, but when he turned his massive crown to view it with both eyes, whatever had moved was still once more, lost to him amongst the foliage. "Who's there?" his deep, guttural melody boomed, demanding the revelation of whoever was nearby. He knew that magic was thick in these parts, he knew of creatures who could cloak themselves in plain view of others - he just prayed he wasn't being spied on by some invisible enemy ready to take advantage of his resting hulk.

@Difyr
grimalkin

ali00p | larfsalot
on deviantart

please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
I write what I feel at the time
and hope everyone else does the same c:

Difyr Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Difyr

[Image: difyr_by_tierren-d970xnb.png]
"I am." Difyr did not bow her head in greeting as one more polite may have. She had lived as the company of a god and she almost considered herself one of them. Difyr was certainly above most, after all, her condition was due to the essence of a god that her own body had absorbed. Although she was unable to tap into it the filly could feel the rush of power in her veins.

Her hair was a mess from the gust of air the stallion had blown out; some of it was standing straight up, some of it covered her face, and her forelock had tangled around one of her horns. Difyr tossed her head about in an attempt to settle everything back to where it should be but it only fixed a place here or there. Thankfully Difyr had recently bathed in a clean puddle and at least her coat was in presentable form. Gold flecks dotted her stainless alabaster hide. 

"You are one of the Helovians," She flew to land on a tree branch that was eye level with the stallion, "What purpose do you have in the Labyrinth?" For many years her home had gone without visits from outsiders and now outsiders came and went feeling as though it was now their territory. The native inhabitants of the Labyrinth had left for the most part, they were still shaken up from the reign of the corrupt wolf god; but Difyr remembered each of their faces and she would guard their home should the other lands in Helovia be unkind to them. "I guard this area. I cannot allow any unkindness to settle here once more." Her words slipped from her lips mirroring her inner thoughts. 

Grimalkin Posts: 50
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Whit
I am, the words sounded strange, faraway, small, and Grimalkin found himself having to look closer to the ground to find its source. When his sights landed upon the creature who owned the tiny voice, he was a little bit stunned into silence. Emeraldine eyes tracked the swift, sharp movements of the creature, (for surely she was not a unicorn?) wonder apparent on his face as he took her in.

He didn't know how long he stared for, but a few seconds of silence passed as the stallion (who felt rather, overlarge) gathered his thoughts. Look at her as if she were truly your size, he rumbled to himself, even as she sprouted wings and settled at eye level to him. Look at her, he told himself, for while his first thought was a cruel one of jest and corruption, he knew better than to judge too swiftly based on appearances alone.

Look at her, he said sternly to himself; and so he did just that. He looked at the small structure of limbs and ram's horns, the delicate wings that seemed to meld back into her body when she didn't need them (much like a beetle, he concluded).

"I've never spoken to a beetle before," he said, seemingly at random, as his thoughts caught up to his observations, and her words. She had labelled him a helovian, and so he thought it fitting to label her in return - the labels weren't entirely correct (or were they? Did a few seasons of wandering Helovia mean he was Helovian?) but what did it matter. She called this land the Labyrinth, he noted - it was always nice to put a name to a place for a wanderer such as he.

"My business is food, and eating as much of it as I can before the snows of Frostfall blanket everything." He spoke simply and matter-of-factly with his russian tinted tones, answering the little one with the big attitude in tones that were neither entirely respectful nor entirely rude - they just were. He was yet to make his mind up about her, though he did want to chuckle at her poorly veiled threat, should he seek to bring 'unkindness' into her land.

"You're a part of Helovia now, too." He began, nodding his great antlered crown to her and the surrounds. "Unkindness will find you no matter where you fly with your pretty little wings." Was it sadness and sorrow that chased across his façade then? Or just the wry old humour of a stallion who had seen something of cruelness in his life?

@Difyr
grimalkin

ali00p | larfsalot
on deviantart

please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
I write what I feel at the time
and hope everyone else does the same c: