the Rift

Thirteen Sad Farewells

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
The familiar shade of the Threshold fell across my back in a spattering of deep brown and faded black. As I moved once more into the comfortable silence of Helovia, I left behind me all of the noise and chaos from the worlds beyond. Twice now, I had spent my nights beneath an open sky too far from the quiet of what I considered home. There was something exhilarating in the object of being completely and utterly alone; you could hear more, see more. Besides, the circumstances that I’d left behind had grown too large and overwhelming for me to bear. Or perhaps it was just that I’d found that I couldn’t yet face them, despite the fact that those days seemed too far away and too hazy to recall anymore. “Forget them,” Romul tried softly while stalking lightly alongside me. I glanced down at the wolf with a half-hearted smile and nodded loosely. He had always been my voice of reason and that hadn’t changed since our leave, but there was something distant in the way he regarded our return. His golden stare was fixed against the trodden path ahead and I could tell he was mildly dismayed. I was tempted to run my muzzle along the thick, white scruff that formed a sharp triangle at his back, but refrained in hopes of giving him enough time to once again adjust. Too many times I had asked him to change his path while favoring my own; I was a selfish creature and somehow he’d learned to cope with that fact.

The TallSun heat was something I’d missed, even though the mild weather of spring and fall were preferable. There was something promising in the way the sun always stood tall, casting shadows across the land and dispersing the darkness into realms only the North might recognize. It was true, the Aurora Basin still left a bitter taste in my mouth, but not for the reasons one might imagine these days… The land of the cold was now the least of my concern and more a necessary evil when it came to remembering. Instead the snow had been replaced with a burning warmth and a penetrating, bronze stare. How I hated that he’d stayed with me so long, even after I’d forbid myself from his memory. Funny, isn’t it, how such loathing and such passion can work simultaneously as one hostile emotion?

With my pale gaze narrowed against the darkening of the Threshold, I passed comfortably through the towering trees with all of their high branches. Was it pathetic that I’d found myself a nomad again, lost somehow, despite knowing these hills and plains like the back of my hand? What now awaited me beyond the claiming grounds and their frequented routes? Surely those who’d known me would have a hard time recognizing me now… My mane and tail had grown unruly, because I simply hadn’t cared, and my coat had lost some of its luster. However, my eyes had maintained their fiery beauty, even if everything else had been left in shambles. Perhaps that was how I’d always been… Who I was, was more important than what others saw. That was and is enough for me. For a moment I paused to deliberate what might happen when I was finally, inevitably, approached by those waiting to find me. It was not because of my name or my previous positions in Helovia, but only because I was essentially new again, that they’d come. But what would they see when they got here? Would I be faced with bright eyes and a smile that curled lips like fine wine or would I find myself again in the company of someone I loved? Somehow, every option frightened my fragile resolution and that’s what kept me from wandering any deeper into the land I’d revisited too many times. I guess everyone had to start somewhere, even if I’d essentially started right here time and time again.

Essetia & Romul

OOC| Open to anyone

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi
Sirens and smoke remind us

Ghost did not spend much time in the skies anymore, the trinket tied to her wing made it difficult for her balance and she much preferred the company of her land bound bonded. Fantôme had grown well, leaving his babyish days behind him and, as he stalked into the woodland, Ghost couldn’t help but be quite proud of him. At least in all the chaos of her life something had gone right. If the whole world fell, if there was nothing but her and her shaggy dog, Ghost would still be content. In one piercing glance, a glance only a wolf could deliver, he reminded his soul mate of how lonely she once was and how much more of a gift he is now, a gift for her formerly desolate heart. It made journeying easier and the tediousness of Thresholding a little less dreary. Home was side by side with a friend and she hated that it had taken her so long to realise that.

The Throat had quietened a little over the last week as the threat from the disease bringing Rifts slowly drifted away and Ghost was left to watch over the herd for thieves and the like. It was easier in the desert land; the sense of community that she had lacked in the Falls was vibrant and alive in the Throat. A herd that looked out for each other was much harder to steal from; it made her job easier and a little boring, she had to admit. Still, Ghost enjoyed the sense of family again and her willingness to protect the Throat grew with each passing day. As she delved deeper into the Threshold, she fell back into her thoughts and rather ambled along, not really paying attention until Fantôme spoke to her.

"Romul!"

He exclaimed and Ghost frowned. Romul? Who was Romul? The banshee scoured her memories for a face that fit until Fantôme sent her an image of a white wolf and a bay mare. In surprise, Ghost slammed to a halt and stared at her advancing bonded. Did this mean Essetia was here? Why here? Where had she gone? She followed along at a brisk pace until her dark eyes found the familiar in badger face of Essetia… Though she looked a little different. Her mane fell haggardly against a dull coat and she appeared… Unwell? Ghost stopped a few paces away from them, Fantôme falling in beside her and she was silent for a moment. What did she say? Though Ghost wanted so desperately to apologise for her lacking, for everything the girl had to go through, she couldn’t find the adequate words to express her feelings.

"Essetia" her breathy voice called the mare’s name "is that you?" she asked tentatively, perhaps she was mistaken.

awk ghost is awk
BUT ESSETIA <3
Maybe the world won't find us
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa
I've cried, and you'd think I'd be better for it, but the sadness just sleeps, and it stays in my spine the rest of my life.

Unexpected was a word Elsa was beginning to become best friends with.

Around every turn it seemed a new, but familiar face would crawl out of the woodwork. Today, unsurprisingly, Elsa would be yet again granted with faces from her past. Maybe that meeting with the God of Earth was code for “get your shit together because everyone is coming back from the dead”. That would make so much more sense.

Edgar was perched upon Elsa’s back, scouting as they moved their way through the threshold. Normally he’d soar above the canopy, and look at those below him. Today, he just wished to sit and observe. After bringing Hera back, he was far too afraid to discover another tragedy like that. The choice of “picking” per se was left up to Elsa, so she listened intently among the rustling leaves for a sound of voices.

And in that silence, a voice floated through the air. Elsa’s attention was immediately on this sound, because it was so familiar. It reminded her of trees, warmth, love, a past that she thought was behind her. Picking up a light trot, she followed the sound to two familiar forms. She stopped dead in her tracks, staring at the two like they had come from the dead. Her eyes switched back and forth from Ghost to Essetia. Edgar eagerly turned around, hopping to her head and flapping his wings in excitement.

Tilting her head, she eyed them both, believing them for a few moments to be nothing more than an apparition. But there they were, breathing, moving and talking. ”Uh, hi guys.” She managed to murmur. Edgar smacked Elsa with his wing in her face, and she glowered at him. ”I suppose he wants me to say hi a little more enthusiastically… but, where have you guys been?” Intrigued colored her voice, urging them to fill in the blanks between the Falls and now. Did everyone go to some secret hiding place that Elsa forgot to go to?

"talk"

image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

It didn’t take long for Romul to catch wind of the approaching duo and, when the shadowy figure of Ghost and her newly acquired companion parted the trees, I smiled. It was a loose, perfunctory gesture, that felt somewhat forced despite my happiness to see her, but present nonetheless. Slowly, I turned my wary gaze toward the wolf at her heels and nodded lightly, “Great minds think alike it seems.

Though entirely unfazed by Ghost’s almost awestruck reaction to my presence, I certainly felt new respect for her, if only because she appeared concerned. Had my absence affected her so greatly or was my return just solidification that I’d even been gone? Either way, I moved easily to her side in hopes of pressing my muzzle against her shoulder- a timid embrace between two lost sisters. “It’s nice to see someone remembered me,” I cajoled half-heartedly, “It is good to see you Ghost…” I assured. It was most likely the first time I hadn’t lied to myself about my emotions, but the familial bond we’d shared in the Hidden Falls, no matter how brief, was one that did not die easily.

As an afterthought, I stepped away from the former Czarina and rejoined Romul some yards away. Still, he remained stoic and expressionless despite the wolven urge to approach his grey counterpart. I could feel his longing deep within the fiber of my being and it was something I would see released, if only to relieve myself of the obvious tension. “What’s his name?” I questioned of the Cadaverous while motioning for Romul to leave my shoulder.  The snowy canine trotted forth with more enthusiasm than I’d seen in months with his tail erect and his ears pushed forward, alert. Clearly he had found good reason to rejoice our return now, even if it was not the reason I would have liked…

While Romul was distracted by the giant grey, I turned once again to face the majestic mare with her red-tipped wings. She looked to be in good health and there was a certain liveliness about her that I hadn’t seen in the Falls. Of course, assumptions made fools of us all and I dismissed the thought just as quickly as it’d come. “Since I know what-,” I began with a soft jolt. Before I could reach the end of my inquiry another pale Pegasus emerged from the wood. It was a face I’d seen before and one I’d encountered amongst these very trees not so long ago. “Elsa,” I welcomed amusedly, “if I didn’t know any better, I’d think you’d made the Threshold your humble abode.” Edgar flapped about frantically from his perch atop the mare’s poll and I cooed softly at the bird-like creature before deciding I was glad to have been blessed with a wolf. Romul certainly wouldn’t have been as lucky as Elsa’s little Zephyr if he’d been born any other species…

Once the snow-flecked warrior explained Edgar’s raucous behavior, I looked to Ghost a little more questioningly than I should have. Where had the Czarina disappeared to that Elsa wouldn’t have known? Had she too left behind her responsibilities after the invasion? Somehow I doubted that, but it was clear that she’d gone somewhere. Although I wasn’t sure that Ghost would want to share the kind of information Elsa was curious about, I knew that I would…and with a little more guile than perhaps necessary. “I left,” I answered vaguely with a sly smile. “I assume you’ve come to scoop me up again? Always the lifesaver, you are,” I jested warmly. In truth, I knew both mares had come with the pretenses of recruiting, but I figured it would be best to let them state their business before jumping to any conclusions… After all, I didn’t know what had transpired in Helovia after my departure.

Essetia & Romul

@Ghost | I just assumed she didn't know his name yet >.> I couldn't remember her ever asking x.x If I'm wrong, I'll change it.

As Ghost gazed at the familiar bay, her eyes tracing her tangled mane, she couldn’t help but be dragged back in time. Essetia was part of a memory that brought both a sense of warmth and cold, it brought forth feelings for a family long disbanded and reminded her of a crushing defeat that still stung, if it was a little duller than it once was. Even as the mare’s lips turn upwards into a smile Ghost wondered what would have happened to them if she had protected Essetia better from the clutches of the North. For a moment she was silent whilst she gathered her thoughts and reeled in her befuddled emotions, reminding herself it was now some seasons ago and Essetia may have quite rightfully moved on. "They’re not bad company" she replied thoughtfully as her gaze dropped to Fantôme and she laughed just a little; the friendship was nice, but as she wrinkled her nose, the smell she wouldn’t miss.

"Like I’d forget" Ghost chided her gently as she felt the gentle touch of the mare on her shoulder and in a moment all of the tension in the banshee’s body washed away. Perhaps she was worrying for nought, though appearing worse for wear, Essetia seemed to be in fine spirit. "You too Essetia, I wish I had found you earlier" as the honest words fell, a sad smile curled onto her lips and Ghost gave her a look of apology as she stepped away. There was a lot Ghost regretted these days, but at least they had this moment to reunite now, when things were a little more peaceful and less chaotic.

The conversation is turned back to wolfish matters and Ghost automatically cast her eyes down to her bonded, who was sat staring at the white wolf in a strange, feral kind of tension. "His name is Fantôme" she replied as the dog jolted to his feet when Romul came bouncing forwards. He jittered on the spot, his muscles tensing, as the elder wolf got nearer. Ghost dragged her gaze away from the pair and left them to the matters only wolves could attend to. Besides, Essetia had already started talking again and the spy listened intently until another broke into the fray.

Elsa!

Ghost watched the alabaster girl in disbelief at the sudden reunion of lost souls who were once part of the same family. It appeared fate was having fun with them today. The banshee watched her bird friend with amusement, finding a relatable humour in the familiarity of their relationship, though she was quite glad that Fantôme couldn’t land on her neck… Or, well, Ghost hoped he wouldn’t try such a thing, her neck was slim and fragile enough as it was.

Moving onwards, where had she been?

"The Wilds for a long time, that thick-skulled barbarian Archibald almost killed me, I had some healing to do and I found little of our old herd afterwards" she grumbled and shivered, remembering the fight with a bitter taste. "Now I’ve found shelter in the Dragons Throat, it feels better to not be… Alone" she admitted, more to herself than anyone else. She looked to each of them in turn with a little sorrow entering her gaze "I know it might not be much now, but I’m sorry anyway. I was too weak to protect you all" she sighed, the feelings that had been plaguing her ever since it had happened finally put into words and into the open.

Finally, her eyes narrowed and her mood became more jovial as she looked at both of her former herd mates "where have you two been?!" she demanded. "What became of us" she thought with amusement "have you new homes to return to?" if not, Ghost would drag them both back to the desert with her, by their ears if necessary. 

@Elsa
@Essetia
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Let them fire the gun

❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Elsa
I've cried, and you'd think I'd be better for it, but the sadness just sleeps, and it stays in my spine the rest of my life.

Holy hell she still couldn’t believe it. Even as they both spoke, and were physically there, Elsa was so afraid they were an apparition. Yet the conversation continued, and crazy reunion confusion ran rampant. Elsa was speechless, but couldn’t help but respond to Essetia’s sassy comment; the response was nearly instant. ”Here to save the damsel in distress, as always.” She smirked, and offered a playful wink and a short laugh. But now it was on to the important stuff, and Elsa turned to listen to Ghost.

It seemed she had a rough start to. Elsa had no idea who Archibald was, but she was sure that if he had managed to fuck up Ghost, Elsa would be as good as dead if she crossed him. She frowned, but was happy to see she had taken up residence in the Dragon’s Throat. At least she had gone to a neutral herd, as far as she knew, the Dragon’s Throat had no demons in that plan. ”Ghost you can’t blame yourself. It was a collective rise and fall. They defeated us simply because we were attacked at the wrong time. It had nothing to do with you or your leadership.” She offered a sympathetic smile in hopes of reassuring the ex-czarina.

And Elsa was not too keen on answering Ghost’s final question. Somehow, saying that she was a general in the World’s Edge seemed like a low blow. She had gone to the enemy side, but where else did she have to do? A frown crossed her face, and she lowered her head in shame towards the ground. ”I’ve taken up residence in the World’s Edge as their general-“ The words stopped coming as soon as she said that and her eyes bounced between her two herd mates (friends even). ”I didn’t want to stay in the Falls afterward, and the Edge was almost completely abandoned. I thought maybe if I went there and since they were so eager to leave, they wouldn’t bother me again.” It sounded like a coward’s way out. Would either of them forgive her, or even talk to her now? Edgar settled uncomfortably back on her poll, shying away in case of a dispute. This was still a harsh topic, and bringing it up would always aggravate the wound no matter how much time passes.

Her attention drifted for Essetia at the moment. Why would she be here if she had a home? ”Is it safe for me to assume you’re here because you are looking to find a home?” She quietly hoped Essetia would set aside any bitterness towards Elsa if she had any. The last thing she wanted to do was run off the pair because of a stupid, brash decision she made months ago.

"talk"

image credits

ooc;; sorry its a bit weird. >.>

I wanted to pretend that nothing had changed since last we were together, but of course denying what we all knew was virtually impossible. Lives had been altered, paths had been transformed, and those memories of what used to be were becoming just as distant as the horizon. I knew that much and I assumed both Ghost and Elsa felt the same. It was just happenstance that we had all come together again to face the ramifications left unheeded after the invasion. No one enjoyed withstanding the pain of truth and perhaps that’s why I’d fled Helovia in the first place. Of course, running from the past felt more like an ‘easy out’ than any revival strategy; I guess that’s just the workings behind the curtain when the show comes to an end. I’d always been better at running than facing the music anyway… I assumed it was a trait passed down by my father and later reluctantly embraced by his stubborn daughter. So much for walking in different figurative shoes- I’d completely emulated everything he’d ever done two times over. Everyone had their demons though, including Ghost it seemed.

Though it was hard for me to say for certain, the quiet way in which the raven-colored mare regarded me made me think there was something on her mind. She spoke as though she was reminiscing earlier times, and maybe she was, but reminiscing didn’t always lead to better, faraway days. Sometimes it took the mind to dark corners of the memory where nothing but pain existed in a wasteland of empty ambitions. I’d visited that place too many times to count and found that avoiding the past altogether was far more beneficial and perhaps weak-minded. It pained me to imagine Ghost walking down a similar road, but there was nothing I could do to keep her from doing so. It was best to let sleeping dogs lie… or wander in her case. However, I was stricken with guilt when the Cadaverous admitted to wishing she’d found me earlier. It hurt me to realize that I hadn’t been around to find. “I wish things had happened differently for all of us,” I responded matter-of-factly. My gaze was not hard, but most certainly unwavering. The Hidden Falls had been the tie that held us all together and those ties had been cut when both the Edge and the Basin saw it fit to watch us bleed.

Distractedly, I turned my attention to Fantôme and I watched as Romul bent his crooked snout toward the younger wolf’s shoulder. They were such simple creatures in my opinion. They were meant for pack life and often found ways to work easily within a hierarchy that still remained a mystery to me. Was that what had happened when the Falls was overtaken? Were we the subservient class meant to kneel before the Alphas? A slight grimace graced my lips as I listened to Ghost impart her recent whereabouts, and watched silently as Elsa struggled to put it all together. We all carried our burdens a little differently and somehow where one fell short, the other made up for it. That was what I had missed during my time alone… I missed my family and it appeared that I wasn’t alone. “No amount of trying could have saved us Ghost. We just weren’t prepared and that’s a fact that you shouldn’t have to question. It was never any fault of yours, but our own ability to place in trust in those who shouldn’t have been trusted,” I related almost angrily. No amount of trying could ever bury the rage left behind by the invasion, no matter how hard I tried to convince myself otherwise. I knew that my words were still somewhat unfeeling and moreover unhelpful, but how could I comfort someone when I could barely comfort myself?

Moving on to less dense topics felt like a relief from the fire burning within, but that flame was only ignited when Elsa claimed to have taken up residence back in the World’s Edge. I couldn’t blame her, much less be angry with her for taking an opportunity when it was presented, but there was a soft-edged blade against my heart that threatened to spur my skepticism and doubt. Ghost on the other had had gone south to the Dragon’s Throat after a run-in with a beast named Archibald. Though I knew it was brash of me to desire it, I wished revenge on the creature that would lay a hand on the Cadaverous, my former Leader. “The Edge is a beautiful place Elsa… the land itself captivates the soul. Just be careful of its secrets,” I tried calmly, without success. My eyes wandered the soft planes of her face and found her genuine heart there in her loving stare. I hated to imagine any life not built on honesty for the lady of the snow, but was happy enough to know that the land by the sea was likely remastered by hands not stained by deceit. “I too found comfort in the Throat for a time before my leave,” I informed lightly. “However, I guess I’m looking to rejoin the family life. Being alone hasn’t been good for my health,” I joked with a slight wink. Yet, where could I go now that was not a land estranged from my heart?

Essetia & Romul

@Elsa @Ghost

Ghost was a calm creature, often perceived as quite haughty and seemingly arrogant, she tried her best to appear perfectly non-descript and offered little in conversation. However, to these to mares she was different, her insecurities were written plain as day across her face and in her tone, she laid out her worries before them with great relief and finally she began to realise what the word friendship meant. To what degree they were friends or whether it was one sided, Ghost did not know, but she was suddenly thankful as a look of surprise flittered across her face when both mares reassured her, in their own way, that what had happened in their pasts, was not wholly her fault. For a while she remained silent, taking in this new feeling and turning her thoughts around in her mind. All her life she had been the shadow behind the crowd, no one took notice of her and, after a while, it got lonely back there. So it was with great bewilderment that she met this new feeling with a warm smile and she nodded to both, thankful for more than just their words. It had taken a whole invasion and a sudden reunion for Ghost to realise that it wasn’t power she sought, but recognition, not for great deeds and the like, but simple and warm acceptance; to be seen.

She smiled at both, taking their defiant strength to boost her own "how kind you both are to me" she laughed. "Perhaps living happily without a care is the best revenge we can serve for now" she added thoughtfully before letting the topic drop and flitter into the past. The banshee would still carry a certain amount of guilt, she felt like that was the right sentence for her, for losing their home when she had reigned Czarina.

After that she listened to Elsa and her story, her success in the Worlds Edge and the way she almost tried to explain herself, as if she was guilty of something. The Cadaverous was slightly surprised at first; it was almost funny, like they swapped lands. "Then the Edge gained an excellent General" she smiled reassuringly. She was not fond of the Edge, but her reasons for that were more personal and had nothing to do with the invasion, she would not burden Elsa with it. The banshee could not see herself living there despite the mysterious nature of it being right up her ally, it reminded her of her mother and no one wanted to be reminded of that witch. That had left her choices between that of the Basin and the Throat, though poking the nerves of the Basin sounded amusing, she refused to serve those who would tried to do her and those she loved harm. Which left the gruelling heat of the desert land. A dire choice, but it was better than the loneliness of the wilds.

"How is the Worlds Edge? The last I saw of it was before the invasion happened… who leads there now?" she asked Elsa with interest. Might as well do a little information gathering whilst she was here.

With that she turned to Essetia thoughtfully, wondering how she would take her next words "I had heard you were previously in the Throat, they gave me your old job" she paused before continuing "its a nice place, the sense of closeness is endearing, but the heat is murder with my coat" she mulled, she had gotten used to it, but it was nice to just complain sometimes. "I’m sure the desert land would welcome you back should you choose, it’d be nice to have an old friend around… and your health would benefit greatly" Ghost extended her offer to Essetia jovially playing into her joke, even though she was being warm and inviting, the banshee wondered if the equine might prefer the secrets of the Edge instead.

Meanwhile, Fantôme still dithered around Romul as the white touched his shoulder and the grey went to do the same, a cautious greeting of a feral kind.

HERPMG sorry for the wait!! D:

@Elsa
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Let them fire the gun

❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Elsa

She immediately regretted forking out the information to where she had moved. Even though they were both civil, a pang of anger at herself even welled from within. It seemed like a cop out to go there; almost like she had given up herself and surrendered. Ghost at least made a minute effort to keep the conversation on track. She wanted to know who led the Edge. Well, at this point, she wasn’t even sure herself. ”Mauja and Torleik were chosen at first- but both have since been absent. Tembovu has stepped up in their place.” She shrugged. The first two leaders they may have known, but she doubted they knew Tembovu. Even Elsa didn’t know him until she moved to the Edge. It made her wonder when he had arrived. He climbed the ranks rather quickly. ”Other than that, it’s actually going really well. We started off with very few, but we seem to have grown exponentially in the last few months. Needless to say it’s a lot more crowded now.” True that, she’d never seen so many horses around at once. She doubted the Falls had ever seen those numbers while she was here.

Even Edgar shifted uncomfortably around the two wolves. He felt out of place amongst them, and was far too afraid to jump down and join their gathering. He could quickly become a lunchtime snack for the furry companions. So he settled to listen to the conversation, interested in to why the two familiar girls moved to the Throat. It was so hot there! ’Heat is sometimes better than the cold.’ Elsa responded silently. He just shook his head, still unable to fathom living in that heat all of the time.

When Ghost fell silent, Elsa only offered a tentative smile. Of course she would invite Essetia, but part of her doubted her offer would even be considered. They had more brains and willpower than Elsa did. Who would go back to the land who had forsaken them? ”You are always welcome to the Edge too. Do not worry, because I believe most of the original Edge left after the invasion. It’s kind of new and fresh- hip even.” Elsa feigned a small laugh to try and convince herself she wasn’t inferior to these two. It would be hard though, for between the three of them, she was the most timid and unsure. The other two were like strong statues.

"talk"

image credits

@Essetia

If I was to look, and I mean truly look, at those who surrounded me now, what would I find? Would I find friendship or acquaintances, sisterhood or mere allies? These were the kinds of questions that so often interrupted my dreams with their heaviness and doubt. However, no matter how I tried to turn the image, I found no snags in the paper and no lines upon the surface… I felt safe. That was something I’d been searching for it seemed, no matter how far I thought I had to wander to find it. I’d been mistaken like so many times before, because everything in my heart that mattered was right here in Helovia. These faces were the ones that meant the most and I was torn between again joining Elsa in her pursuits to support the Edge or return once more with Ghost to the Throat. After all, the Cadaverous was in fact my mentor and teacher… perhaps it was time I resumed my place beneath her wing. Ghost had never led me astray and that was a fact that I’d been clinging to since she’d arrived. We were creatures cut of the same cloth in some regards and our hearts beat for the mystery behind the hunt and not the chase itself.

However, Elsa had shown me the difference between duty and family. She had given me purpose while in the Falls and taught me that my servitude was not for my own benefit, but for the benefit of the whole. So, while Ghost entertained the Edge’s new General, I mulled over my decisions looking for answers that I wasn’t sure I’d find.

I listened patiently as Elsa explained the new leadership in the World’s Edge and nodded distractedly when she named the lucky bloke strong enough to defy the Moon’s enigmatic hold over the land and sea. Yet, I missed the everlasting heat of the South and the way the sand seemed to stretch across the desert plains in waves of rich beige. They were an old string of souls that somehow came together as some of the most renowned warriors in Helovia, but was I the kind of creature who took pleasure in so much light? “Tembovu… interesting name I suppose,” I added as an afterthought and feeble attempt to rejoin the conversation. “I assume Gaucho still reigns in the South?” I questioned of the Cadaverous while glancing toward Romul, who blissfully ignored my attempts to weigh his own opinions on the matter. The wolf was certainly more pleased with his new companion than he’d been with my many questionable endeavors throughout the past few years.

The Cadaverous had admitted her rise to my old position, but I felt no malice toward her for doing what she did best. Perhaps her rise to power would allow me to follow in her footsteps once again…

You said the desert would welcome me back?” I finally blurted with little remorse. Clearly I hadn’t been following their adherence to proper banter and the like, but surely they’d come to know me well enough by now. I was certainly not Elsa when it came to how I lived my life, although at times I tried to be… “If that’s the case, I’d like to return and hopefully make up for the time I was away.” Perhaps it didn’t matter that I’d disappeared for a time… perhaps they’d understand my woes once again.

Essetia & Romul

@Elsa @Ghost | You all killed me. x.x

A certain name fell from Elsa’s tongue and Ghost visibly stiffened at it. The banshee had tried to make her peace with Mauja a while ago, she had no ill feelings towards him, and those kinds of emotions were troublesome and burdening. However, there was something eerily déjà vu like when Elsa mentioned his name amongst those who led, or maybe who had led, as if history was going to repeat itself. History liked doing that; Ghost had noticed. Except the old Worlds Edge she had never known, despite being born there, but her mother had offered her vapid descriptions of the once racist occupants which had been the reason Ghost had not been welcomed. It was her fault for bearing wings, her mother had never thought the wing thing would happen when she had pursued her father and her father was dead, so Ghost bore the brunt of her dam's annoyance. Yet, what interested her more was that Elsa bore no mark of a unicorn and yet she resided as their General? Perhaps Mauja’s philosophy had changed over the many years. Her body relaxed slowly, it sounded as if the Leadership of the Edge was in flux, her alabaster friend mentioned Tembovu, a name Ghost had never heard before. She made a mental note to remember in case this name should appear in passing conversation. If the Edge was growing quickly, it's influence would soon spread and the sprite was interested to know who was in charge of its revolution.

For a while, Ghost remained silent, letting Elsa finish her reply before moving her attention to Essetia, who seemed to note the new Edge Leaders name as well. Yet a small laugh couldn’t be helped when the equine asked if Gaucho still commanded the south. "You haven’t been gone long enough for anyone to dethrone that pre-historic oaf" she snorted "I wonder if he gets bored…" the banshee’s words trailed off into thought. Maybe she’d ask him one day if all that fire and muscle made his life infinitely interesting or did even the great Wildfire have mind numbingly boring days too?

Finally, in a flourish of surprise and warmth on Ghost’s part, Essetia made her decision to follow the Cadaverous back to the Throat. The Banshee couldn’t hide her happiness, she was fond of the bay mare and more spies was just what she needed, admittedly. "I’m sure I can sneak you in and we could do with more spies" she responded heartily. Ghost had not forgotten Elsa, however, and the sprite gave the Edge General a gentle, warm nod. It was… Weird. At least, for Ghost it was. Even though she was no longer their Czarina, she still felt some sort of responsibility towards them, a need to know that they were fine and well. Perhaps some things were never lost even when one was defeated. "I’m glad you found new purpose and a new home" she said honestly "if you ever need a friend, do find me" the sprite offered a little awkwardly.

Was this how friendship worked?

;~; I wanted to post again, just to tie up the loose ends. Don't feel pressured to reply haha
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Let them fire the gun

❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Elsa

The more the conversation went on, the more and more she could feel her chances fading away. Why did she expect Essetia to follow anyway? Just because she recruited last time did not mean she trusted her. And who from the Falls would want to join the Edge? Only a fool, obviously. That is what Elsa proved herself to be; a fool.

Thankfully her decline passed silently and elegantly. It led straight into the Throat, no declines, no questions, just a simple passing over. Her smile faltered for a mere moment, before shakily returning to a polite grin. She nodded her head at the joking and joyous communication about Gaucho and the Throat. Was this what it was like to be happy? Had they all moved on whilst she remained cemented in the past? She could take it no longer, so she would exit gracefully before she was swept away in a river of tears.

”Thank you both. It was truly great to see you.” She actually meant that part. It was nice to know they were okay and happy. A small amount of pressure floated away from her chest as she knew two more were safe and sound. ”If you ever need anything, please do come to the Edge. It would be nice if you two visited once in a while. Although I love the Throat, I don’t think I can run the risk of facing Shida again.” She nodded respectfully between the two, taking a step back. ”Take care of her for me, will you two? Just make sure she’s safe. I lost both my twins, and although I have found them, I don’t think she is fond of my presence in the Throat. She’s hard headed, just like her father.” She laughed weakly, turning to leave. ”Please don’t think I am weak. I’m really trying.” She whispered, and began to walk away. It wasn’t their fault for the memories and hurt. In fact, it was the fun times, the sarcastic times, and the daily monotony of day to day life that speared her heart back against a wall. Godspeed my friends, because I really do miss you. Had they even be friends before? Tears pricked at the corner of her eyes as she moved away from them. All she wanted to do was go back to a corner and curl up beneath a tree. Let her eyes close, and for a few hours, forget the pain of life.

[ooc;; my little wrap up too. thanks guys ;-; <3]
"talk"

image credits

It hurt.

It always hurt to see how the past could weigh on someone and be unable to change it. If I could go back and restore Elsa’s happiness, I would do so. If I could go back and help Ghost recover from the grief of losing her family, position, and land, I would do so. Of course, there was nothing I could could do now that I didn’t try then. I could remember so clearly my attempted escape form the Basin. I could recall so visibly the anxiety and the worry that I felt when I could not… But we’d all survived somehow. Some of us had prevailed as shells of what we once were and others returned in pieces, but we’d survived hadn’t we?

There may have only been months between now and then, and the ties between us may have been strained, but I knew that I would not leave my friends without comfort and without support. Yet, I also knew that we had first to grieve before we could forgive or move forward. It was strange that we operated so easily under the pretenses of happiness when each of carried unspeakable burdens… It was just as strange that we each tried to ignore the pain that existed at the root of this meeting and how it would feel when put that pain behind us. I smiled and laughed at the mention of Gaucho and I proffered an amused “I would have to think so,” when the conversation was turned in my direction. But it felt forced and fake.

I was due to be a spy again in the Throat, Elsa was presumably thriving in the Edge, and Ghost had accepted her placement in the desert. Was this where we thought we’d be now? Probably not. Was this how I wanted our meeting to end? No. But what could I do when Elsa turned her eyes from me, their softness growing softer from the loss and betrayal? I didn’t know that the snowy mare had children in the south and I didn’t think I’d heard of them before, but the General certainly appeared to feel alienated from our borders. I didn’t want her to be.

It hurt.

I turned away from the World’s Edge and from Elsa and her grief, uncertain how I could change the way she was feeling. So instead I paused, with a slight grimace turning my lips, and spoke to the girl over my shoulder. “She will be taken care of Elsa and so will you. Do not be shy… we’ll be around. You’re the strongest you’ve ever been my friend, don’t you forget that.

But in truth, we were all weak without each other.

Essetia & Romul
@Ghost @Elsa || I had to do it...